Too ambitious, yet too short

They are clear from the start, and have been heavily covered in pre release coverage. You play as a Pict (Celt) warrior who's love was killed by Norse warriors and sacrificed to Hela, so you have to journey into the Norse underworld to reclaim his soul, which is why the mythology is foreign to Senua. This all happens before the game starts, not spoiling anything. The game also includes a making of featurette that gives some more of the historical background. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MagicSandwych said:

They are clear from the start, and have been heavily covered in pre release coverage. You play as a Pict (Celt) warrior who's love was killed by Norse warriors and sacrificed to Hela, so you have to journey into the Norse underworld to reclaim his soul, which is why the mythology is foreign to Senua. This all happens before the game starts, not spoiling anything. The game also includes a making of featurette that gives some more of the historical background. 

Thanks for elaborating.

The state of my current backlog is the only thing keeping me now from immediately buying the game. I might just buy it next week though if I don't feel like playing my usual games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, it's on sale now for €20 ( @Sigma999 ).

Even though my backlog is big enough as it is, I don't think I can resist a sale as, like I said before, I'll probably enjoy this game a lot and I am really interested in it, andI almost bought it at full price during the winter holidays.

I've also just watched Norsemen on Netflix (brilliant show and will definitely watch season two when it arrives), so I'm kind of in the mood for something on Norse mythology.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simple Rick said:

Well, it's on sale now for €20 ( @Sigma999 ).

Even though my backlog is big enough as it is, I don't think I can resist a sale as, like I said before, I'll probably enjoy this game a lot and I am really interested in it, andI almost bought it at full price during the winter holidays.

I've also just watched Norsemen on Netflix (brilliant show and will definitely watch season two when it arrives), so I'm kind of in the mood for something on Norse mythology.

Gonna have to pass for now . Unfortunately i don't wanna spend more money with games atm .

Played through the game now, and I completely disagree with the opinion of it being too short. Think it took me about 11-12 hours, I've paid more for games that had a shorter story. I'd rather have this than a game where the dev thinks up all kinds of bullshit to lengthen the story, like Escape From Butcher Bay.

While I can see how some may find the gameplay basic, I loved the visual puzzles and I liked how the combat got progressively more difficult, it was very well done in my opinion.

Combined with a great story, beautiful visuals and gameplay/subgoals that keep evolving throughout the game, I really loved the experience and I'd urge others to buy this game.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 3:07 AM, Simple Rick said:

Played through the game now, and I completely disagree with the opinion of it being too short. Think it took me about 11-12 hours, I've paid more for games that had a shorter story. I'd rather have this than a game where the dev thinks up all kinds of bullshit to lengthen the story, like Escape From Butcher Bay.

While I can see how some may find the gameplay basic, I loved the visual puzzles and I liked how the combat got progressively more difficult, it was very well done in my opinion.

Combined with a great story, beautiful visuals and gameplay/subgoals that keep evolving throughout the game, I really loved the experience and I'd urge others to buy this game.

Ditto, wondefull experience. Great game.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Old thread: revived. So, I completed this game today and it was such an awesome experience. The graphics took me by surprise and the camera angles did it’s justice. From the beginning on, I knew mental illness was taking place. It was eyeopening to me because now I understand a little bit more about people who suffer from schizophrenia. It must be horrible to live with hearing voices and visualising things that aren’t there. The ending was a great conclusion and I’m satisfied with it. The puzzles were fun to do and I liked the combat although sometimes frustrating, I only got the hand of it at the final boss. This is TOP TIER!

Edited by LoveInHell
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

The ending was a great conclusion and I’m satisfied with it.

Glad to hear cause unless you have an Xbox/PC you ain't playing the sequel anyway ? I've still yet to play it cause I can't decide if I wanna do it on PS4 and then have to jump over to the Xbox for Hellblade 2 (have the Physical PS4 Version) or just download it on Game Pass and play it on my X1X instead ?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

Glad to hear cause unless you have an Xbox/PC you ain't playing the sequel anyway 1f602.png I've still yet to play it cause I can't decide if I wanna do it on PS4 and then have to jump over to the Xbox for Hellblade 2 (have the Physical PS4 Version) or just download it on Game Pass and play it on my X1X instead 1f914.png

Yeah I wish it was coming out on Playstation, but unfortunately it isn’t. The ending of the first game is something I can live with, it didn’t “need” a second game to continue the story. Well, it’s a great experience on PS4. If Playstation is your main console, or your only trophy hunting account, then you should play this on PS4 and Hellblade 2 on XBOX. :)

Oh wait, I do play on a Pro so I don’t know if that’s a huge difference compared to a standard PS4. Gameplay was smooth.

Edited by LoveInHell

Hellblade is the perfect example of why a game doesn't need to be of an arbitrary minimum length to justify its cost (and this wasn't even full-priced to begin with) if it is good enough.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 13.8.2017 at 2:30 PM, slaveknight09 said:

a good purchase when price will become below 20$. Everything is good, visually impressive yet too short for my taste. Don't get me wrong the game is very well made thanks to Ninja theory. But I'd rather play a game than watching a movie, if you know I'm saying. I'm all about gameplay not eyecandies.

6.5 out of 10

It's not a playable movie

Clearly the game isn't for you and that's okay, but don't bash it

On 14.8.2017 at 3:26 PM, AffectatiousDonk said:

I am glad I bought it also, but it is a very confronting and mentally exhausting game, well at least I am finding it so.  I am enjoying the narrative flow and I think it does a great job providing insight into psychotic breaks. There was a film in 2000 called "The Cell" which addresses similar issues and I can't play this game for more than a few minutes without almost a sense of déjà vu. Would definitely recommend seeing the movie to further enhance this game ( the movie is pretty b grade and has many disturbing moments from memory but many of the scenes and the message have stay with me for along time)

I second ShadowReplicant's view, we definitely need more games like this, it would be great to have more games with some emotional and intellectual depth, rather than just gameplay.

It's supposed to be exhausting

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 6:40 AM, lostforever77 said:

It's not a playable movie

Clearly the game isn't for you and that's okay, but don't bash it

It's supposed to be exhausting

Indeed, thanks for bumping this thread I have been meaning to play this on the XsX with the new patch. I hope you enjoyed your time with it, there are so many games that really engage you if you let them. Happy gaming

On 7.9.2021 at 11:54 AM, AffectatiousDonk said:

Indeed, thanks for bumping this thread I have been meaning to play this on the XsX with the new patch. I hope you enjoyed your time with it, there are so many games that really engage you if you let them. Happy gaming

Beat it two days ago actually, gotta find a few stones still. Awesome game, terrifying in a way, but so good

• Like 1