"Like Getting Items" trophy glitched

TheamiiboKing

So playing through The Ruins, I grabbed a piece of Monster Candy from the dish and the "get one item" trophy unlocked. I picked up another (yes, I know, I'm disgusting), but the "get two items" trophy did not unlock. But strangely, when I picked up a third and fourth piece, their respective trophies did unlock. Confused, I decided to reset the game and try again. Tried it again, trophy didn't pop.

"Oh, but wait, Undertale remembers what you did on previous saves, maybe that's the problem" I thought, so I went into the system settings, deleted the save file and started the game completely from scratch, and this time, picked up the Toy Knife as my second item instead of a second Monster Candy. No good. Now I'm thinking that the Monster Candy prevents you from getting the trophy at all, so I delete the save once again, completely ignore the Monster Candy, and pick up the Toy Knife and the Butterscotch Pie. Still nothing.

At this point, it seems like I'm permanently locked out of the trophy and the only thing that will fix it is a patch.

Tl;dr Do not pick up a second piece of Monster Candy from the candy dish as your second item, as it will permanently lock you out of the "get two items" trophy and not even deleting your save file from the system settings and starting over will let you get it.

Edited by Yoosurnaym

Have you tried creating a blank account?

Make a new user on PS4, and skip the PSN registration process (for now). Try getting the trophy. If it works, you can attach your PSN to this blank account & you'll have the trophy.

Warning:  

Spoiler

You'll need to delete your own user account before "adopting" this blank account as your own. You'll lose unsynced trophies & local save data. Probably downloaded games & capture gallery, too. Be sure to sync trophies & back up saves/capture gallery first.

Edited by Thropy_Hore
  • Like 3

So I guess that the Monster Candy doesn't always lock you out of the trophy, but it seems like it has a good chance of doing it, since multiple people are reporting the same issue over on the Undertale subreddit. So you should probably skip the candy just to be safe.

Earning the trophy on a blank account and then syncing it isn't really an option for me though, since I don't have Plus and don't have a spare USB drive laying around to back up all my data. I suppose I could use my free Plus trial, but ehh, I was waiting for some free games I really wanted to show up to use that on. I'll just wait for a patch. Toby recommends emailing bug reports to [email protected], so that means they have to be willing to patch out glitches.

Edit: Found a USB drive I could use, so I backed up everything, deleted my primary account, and tried to do the blank account method, but there was an unfortunate wall I hit: it wouldn't let me start Undertale under the guest account because it was purchased under my primary account, which was now deleted from the PS4. So all that accomplished nothing other than me losing the ability to view my old capture gallery on my PS4, because as I just learned the hard way, USB backed-up capture galleries can't be copied back to the system. So that's just swell.

Edited by Yoosurnaym

I had quit my game and came back. I accidentally missed the candy, and my third item would have been the pie. Got the pie. No trophy for third item? This is on my Vita. Not sure if I restart on my roommates PS4 if it'll fix itself since it'll be a fresh file  or if I got screwed somehow. 

EDIT: loaded my roommates PS4 and I was able to get the four trophy by getting the spider jug. i never got the one for three items. ???

Edited by thefrozenspring

34 minutes ago, Kurorac said:

I skipped the candy and got all 4 trophies when getting the next 4 items. Maybe the candy is the problem after all?

Guess that's the penalty for taking more than one

Edited by DesmaBR

So from what I'm gathering, it sounds like the PS4 version glitches on the "get 2 items" trophy if your second item is a second Monster Candy, and the Vita version glitches on the "get 3 items" trophy if you save and quit before earning it. For the sake of conclusiveness though, can anyone who's run into either of these glitches say what version they were playing and what they did regarding the Monster Candy and saving and quitting? For the record, I was on PS4.

I tried on both, so I don't know if that made a difference but:

I played on Vita, and saved and quit before earning it. No three items trophy. 

I played on PS4, I took one monster candy, and when I took my third item I got the trophy for four items. 

I really hope there's a patch realized because this is really pissing me off :( I tried deleting all the app data on both the PS4 and my Vita and still no freaking third item trophy. 

On 8/15/2017 at 4:09 AM, Thropy_Hore said:

Have you tried creating a blank account?

Make a new user on PS4, and skip the PSN registration process (for now). Try getting the trophy. If it works, you can attach your PSN to this blank account & you'll have the trophy.

Warning:  

Reveal hidden contents

You'll need to delete your own user account before "adopting" this blank account as your own. You'll lose unsynced trophies & local save data. Probably downloaded games & capture gallery, too. Be sure to sync trophies & back up saves/capture gallery first.

This worked for me. I never knew blank accounts were something that people could use (especially for managing their trophies), so... thanks!