Tile time exploit

As far as I know, this trick works in all the Artifex Mundi games that let choose between doing a hidden object puzzle or an alternate minigame. You can find all but one object, switch to the minigame and find out that it's almost complete.

In addition to getting the speed finish trophies done, it's probably also useful for the playthroughs where you have to clear all the alternate minigames, since those can be sped up by spamming all the easy hidden objects away first. Although I have to say I haven't personally abused this method for any of them since I'm always a bit paranoid when it comes to trophies for doing something a specific way. Don't see why it wouldn't work though.

It's a well-known exploit explained in walkthroughs on other web sites. It's far easier to spam click away on a hidden object puzzle, leaving one item left, and then switching to the alternate game and finishing up. With the control mechanics Artifex Mundi uses for Mah-jong and Dominoes, it's nearly impossible to complete a board in under a minute. 

As this developer churns out one game a month, I hope they eliminate speed trophies in their upcoming games bc it doesn't fit the passive gaming style of their entertaining games. 

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

It's a well-known exploit explained in walkthroughs on other web sites. It's far easier to spam click away on a hidden object puzzle, leaving one item left, and then switching to the alternate game and finishing up. With the control mechanics Artifex Mundi uses for Mah-jong and Dominoes, it's nearly impossible to complete a board in under a minute. 

As this developer churns out one game a month, I hope they eliminate speed trophies in their upcoming games bc it doesn't fit the passive gaming style of their entertaining games. 

Nearly impossible? I didn't know about the exploit and it only took 3 rounds of Mahjong, there's a fair amount of leeway. I hope they don't take the trophies out, if they do it'll essentially just be "beat the game 2 times".

39 minutes ago, madbuk said:

Nearly impossible? I didn't know about the exploit and it only took 3 rounds of Mahjong, there's a fair amount of leeway. I hope they don't take the trophies out, if they do it'll essentially just be "beat the game 2 times".

In Grim Legends, the alternate game is dominoes. It requires picking up, rotating, and placing dominoes in a chain to certain tiles. The number of movements and controller clicks makes it "nearly impossible." The exploit is more beneficial in dominoes than mah-jong, where you just click on matches. I was lumping Artifex Mundi games, sorry, I'll be more specific next time. 

Just now, PerryToxteth said:

In Grim Legends, the alternate game is dominoes. It requires picking up, rotating, and placing dominoes in a chain to certain tiles. The number of movements and controller clicks makes it "nearly impossible." The exploit is more beneficial in dominoes than mah-jong, where you just click on matches. I was lumping Artifex Mundi games, sorry, I'll be more specific next time. 

I've done Grim Legends as well, and dominoes is all about pathing and not wasting any space or taking unnecessary detours, it's very much possible. If anything I found dominoes easier than the mahjong.

4 hours ago, madbuk said:

I've done Grim Legends as well, and dominoes is all about pathing and not wasting any space or taking unnecessary detours, it's very much possible. If anything I found dominoes easier than the mahjong.

Hey, Congrats! Looks like you're an Artifex Mundi aficionado! 

10 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

Hey, Congrats! Looks like you're an Artifex Mundi aficionado! 

Grim Legends and this one are the only 2 I've played :P They are a lot of fun though, just a bit pricey for how short they are which is why I wish they'd start making the lists a bit harder to add some playtime on lol. Or just make the puzzles harder, either is fine with me.

13 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I didn't see it online when I played through the game, but I played through it without much help of guides too. I only posted this because I found it accidentally when I was about to mess up my second playthrough. I was able to press "option" before the game auto-saved I had beat the HOG screen too. :P Quit the game and did it over to be safe.

I think it's fun they added plats to the games on PS4. I did a lot of the PS3 games, which didn't have a plat. I think they do the timed stuff to add enough trophies for a plat. :D I thought for sure there was one of the games that had a speedrun trophy, but I can't find it, too many games on my profile. :( Anyway, what I did find was this one:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/3061-snark-busters-high-society/11-lawful-player

^ That one was balls, and I was backing up my save every once in a while, just to notice that I at least once corrupted the save, at least once saved so when I loaded I was completely stuck and couldn't progress. I think I had to restart 4 times or something.

But a similar game that is absolutely awful at this timed shit:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/872-red-johnsons-chronicles/MMDE

I have the second game installed on my PS3, but just turned off after the first game, and the second game is even more of the same:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1605-red-johnsons-chronicles-one-against-all

They were both super cheap at one point, but it's no accident the second game has far less players. :P 

14 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

Could you capture, upload and embed what you mean? I have this on my backlog so would be interested to see for when I start it. 

Or is it something which will make sense once I start the game? 

When I say hardest by far, I say that because nothing else is anything to talk about. The HOG screen in one minute is super easy if you backup your save right before a HOG screen, go online and find a copy of the screen. I didn't find the screenshots had the same items on them, because it seemed random for the playthrough you did, but you could mark in paint where the various items are in your playthrough and then just reload the save to do that super quick. The rest of the trophies are super easy, there's no real challenge, just take your time and enjoy.

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 4:49 PM, IDiivil said:

As far as I know, this trick works in all the Artifex Mundi games that let choose between doing a hidden object puzzle or an alternate minigame. You can find all but one object, switch to the minigame and find out that it's almost complete.

In addition to getting the speed finish trophies done, it's probably also useful for the playthroughs where you have to clear all the alternate minigames, since those can be sped up by spamming all the easy hidden objects away first. Although I have to say I haven't personally abused this method for any of them since I'm always a bit paranoid when it comes to trophies for doing something a specific way. Don't see why it wouldn't work though.

On 8/17/2017 at 5:13 PM, PerryToxteth said:

On 8/17/2017 at 6:40 PM, madbuk said:

Having played the game you guys have probably played, what I'm talking about is NOT the same thing as you guys talk about. :P

The dominos puzzles gets easier if you access them after most of the HOG screen is done, but that's NOT what I'm talking about. :P That's not even how it works in this game. It's not easier when you've cleared most of the screen. Furthermore, it's not even an exploit.

What I'm talking about is an actual exploit. I cleared the HOG game, finished it, no more pieces left, but as I had finished it, I remembered I wasn't supposed to do it and quickly pressed up to access the Mahjong. I didn't do shit on the Mahjong screen, but it counted as if I had done the Mahjong instead of the HOG screen and I got the trophy for doing it in less than 1 min as well. :P 

Edited by MMDE

• 1 month later...

What @MMDE described actually works and I got the trophy last night doing this method. He's described the method really well but the subsequent comments in the thread had me confused. You need to complete the HOG and find all items before pressing down and switching to the mahjong game. If you leave only one item and then switch to mahjong than the mahjong game will restart from the beginning. So find all items, press down immediately when you find the last item and the trophy will pop.

Unlike MMDE, I didn't quit out of the game and restart. I just continued on with the game. I'll let you know if I get the trophy for completing all mahjong games or whether I am now locked out of the trophy ?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really enjoying this game and plan on grabbing all these HOPA games now, and like others the 1 minute Mahjong is my final hurdle.  I'll try the methods listed here but wanted to ask about using a PS Vita via linking, would that allow for using the touchscreen which would eliminate the twin sticks and possibly be faster?  I'll have to experiment when I can to see if it works, but it could be another option.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/26/2017 at 5:17 AM, Seabound117 said:

I'm really enjoying this game and plan on grabbing all these HOPA games now, and like others the 1 minute Mahjong is my final hurdle.  I'll try the methods listed here but wanted to ask about using a PS Vita via linking, would that allow for using the touchscreen which would eliminate the twin sticks and possibly be faster?  I'll have to experiment when I can to see if it works, but it could be another option.

I tried using Vita and remote play, I had the same idea that the touchscreen would make this much easier. Unfortunately the game did not recognize any input from the touchscreen. ?  Would be awesome if it did.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Honestly after starting my second play through tonite the one minute trophy is definitely annoying legit. Is it possible for most? Probably but only if you do it early enough I feel before the number of tiles and layouts get more complicated.

The biggest issue I find with this is they didn't bother fine tuning the analog sticks for this minigame. Unlike using a mouse on PC or having the option to use the D-Pad instead it's very hard to get accurate clicks as due to the off kilter sensitivity you will more likely zoom past the pieces your trying to move to, the quicker you play.

The extra options they could've mapped those somewhere else like the touchpad or Trigger buttons since their hardly used and just give us use of the D-Pad as an alternative to the analog.

Edited by Lord_Bane999

1 hour ago, Lord_Bane999 said:

Honestly after starting my second play through tonite the one minute trophy is definitely annoying legit. Is it possible for most? Probably but only if you do it early enough I feel before the number of tiles and layouts get more complicated.

The biggest issue I find with this is they didn't bother fine tuning the analog sticks for this minigame. Unlike using a mouse on PC or having the option to use the D-Pad instead it's very hard to get accurate clicks as due to the off kilter sensitivity you will more likely zoom past the pieces your trying to move to, the quicker you play.

The extra options they could've mapped those somewhere else like the touchpad or Trigger buttons since their hardly used and just give us use of the D-Pad as an alternative to the analog.

Which is why the exploit is nice. ? Even if the people at the beginning of the thread seemed to misunderstand what the exploit actually was and confused it with something else. Doing HOG instead of Mahjong, but still get the trophy for Mahjong is a lot easier.

Edited by MMDE

11 hours ago, MMDE said:

Which is why the exploit is nice. 1f602.png Even if the people at the beginning of the thread seemed to misunderstand what the exploit actually was and confused it with something else. Doing HOG instead of Mahjong, but still get the trophy for Mahjong is a lot easier.

Yep definitely, like I've completed some do the Bishoujo Mahjong games but they definitely weren't as hard as this. Exploit used and Plat achieved ?

Now to complete the second one before it gets removed from PSNow

Edited by Lord_Bane999

• 1 year later...

FYI: You can also use this exploit for the Triple Played trophy, this one: https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/5139-nightmares-from-the-deep-the-cursed-heart/7-triple-played

Source: I just did it.

I'd say it's safe to say that it can be used to avoid the Mah-jong games entirely if you don't want to do them. I'll try that and let you know once I finished my playthrough.

edit: got https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/5139-nightmares-from-the-deep-the-cursed-heart/5-mah-jong-first-mate by using this method.

edit: Also got https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/5139-nightmares-from-the-deep-the-cursed-heart/11-mah-jong-master-and-commander. That means it's possible to get all Mah-jong trophies without actually playing Mah-jong.

Edited by viech54
  • Like 1