Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

8 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That's exactly how I felt. I hate to keep making that comparison to Spider-Man 3, but it's so obvious to me when writers are just trying to shove content into a story because they can. Personally, I would've saved the Yuri arc for the sequel. (Miles' "training" too.) The only DLC that I thought was good was the one with Black Cat, and that's because it told a self-contained story that didn't piss all over the main game.

Your review was pretty much spot on, after a few side things, it just gets annoying as you travel through the city. i will say that the harder difficulty on New Game+ was a lot quicker, as long as you completed everything before. You keep everything so you can pretty much ignore all the side parts and just do the story line. It is surprising how quick that goes by. Ultimate difficulty isn't too bad since you are leveled up already.

I enjoyed playing as Spiderman with the easy and fun web swinging action, but honestly I would have been a dick if I was him in that world and ignored some of the petty crimes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

(Oh, who am I kidding? We're going to get Spider-Man 2 with Green Goblin, Spider-Man 3 with Venom, and then we'll get a prequel game with Uncle Ben and Peter and MJ meeting for the first time.)

That is how it usually goes with big names like your friendly neighbor Spider-Man. There is no escaping the fandom and if Kingdom Hearts was able to get 10 games due to fan raving, think how many games the Web-Slinger will get since he's even more popular than Sora! ;)

• Like 1

If there's one thing I've learned from Two Point Hospital, it's that every inch matters!

Is that what she said? (sorry I couldn't help it). 

(Stardew Valley is still the standard, though.)

On a slightly more mature note, Is Stardew Valley good as a trophy game?  I don't know if you've played it on PS4 but Ive been meaning to try it. I keep putting it off (sims like this are generally out of my comfort zone) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I actually don't hate the multiplayer in TLOU. It's slower and more team-oriented than what other third-person shooters are like. The problem is you have to do 168 matches to get the platinum (two journeys of 84 matches each) AND there's the potential to screw up and have to start over from the very beginning. They give you a little wiggle room, but I don't like when a game threatens to waste my time.

If you're going to platinum it, now's a good time to get the multiplayer stuff out of the way. You can join our Saturday boosting sessions. We had two groups (about twenty people total) working on it all evening. You just gotta put up with wait times and randoms entering your game if somebody gets disconnected or you have an odd number of players. I'd say I only got about four hours of actual playtime in (I was basically a replacement for a replacement and we had a lot of downtime because players kept leaving), but I managed to do 43 matches. I'm hoping to finish the first journey this weekend.

Is it unplayable without a boosting session? I ask because I usually avoid VC with people I don't know so playing independently is always a plus for me. But yeah, I might have to check it out soon.

But yeah, I agree with a lot of your comments on Spider-Man - it's a good game, but it's not one with much variety. As much as open world games can be fun, I feel like they inevitably fall into this pitfall where they don't want to put enough effort into the world to make everything distinct, so you just end up doing the same things in different colored areas. If you truly want to make a good open world game you have to make it distinct, like Bethesda does their Fallout / Elder Scrolls games - or the Witcher 3. Ubisoft-style open world games use open world as a gimmick without really making good use of its possibilities, imo.

Also, I'm trying to remember the name of an indie game, I think you platinumed it - it was some randomly generated thing where you played a female assassin. The Lethal Brunette, or something like that? Some kinda word like Baroque or Brusque. I kept hearing good things about it but was waiting for it to go on sale and it never did, so I may just pick it up regularly priced in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

On a slightly more mature note, Is Stardew Valley good as a trophy game?  I don't know if you've played it on PS4 but Ive been meaning to try it. I keep putting it off (sims like this are generally out of my comfort zone) 

I haven't played it on PS4, but I know a lot of people gave up on the plat because of Fector's Challenge. To be fair, that's a really stupid trophy. You're required to beat what is essentially a mini-game without dying once. That's not even in the spirit of a farming sim. The other trophies are just time-consuming, but that's to be expected.

I bought it for the PS4, but I'm hesitant to start. I feel I could do that trophy with enough practice, but it's like, "Do I really want to spend 100+ hours on a game I've already put a lot of time into on PC, knowing that I'll have to deal with an SMB-level trophy if I want the platinum?" That kinda goes against the very reason I play games like that.

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Is it unplayable without a boosting session? I ask because I usually avoid VC with people I don't know so playing independently is always a plus for me. But yeah, I might have to check it out soon.

You can do it without a boosting session. It would just take longer, and you'd want to be very careful when you get the 100% risk missions. If you know what you're doing, though, you can skip a lot of the required 168 matches. I think you really only need to play one out of every three. (If you quit out of too many, you risk losing your entire population and having to start over.)

2 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Also, I'm trying to remember the name of an indie game, I think you platinumed it - it was some randomly generated thing where you played a female assassin. The Lethal Brunette, or something like that? Some kinda word like Baroque or Brusque. I kept hearing good things about it but was waiting for it to go on sale and it never did, so I may just pick it up regularly priced in the future.

You might be mixing up two games. I assume you're referring to The Sexy Brutale, but you don't play as a female assassin and the world isn't randomly generated. It's more like a puzzle game, but definitely worth playing.

• Like 1

Just now, Cassylvania said:

You might be mixing up two games. I assume you're referring to The Sexy Brutale, but you don't play as a female assassin and the world isn't randomly generated. It's more like a puzzle game, but definitely worth playing.

Ooh, yeah, that's definitely it, thanks! I think I was confusing it with another, yeah. The details are foggy, I just remember wanting to get it for the longest time.

• Like 1

You said repeatedly @Cassylvania you weren’t going to do The Last of Us. Maybe the upcoming sequel convinced you. 

I still need to do the multiplayer myself. Still irks me that I will probably never 100 percent Uncharted 4 because of those stupid Survival trophies. Don’t know if it’s possible to buy your way with microtransactions and have good enough equipment (and practice obviously) to do those stages on Crushing by yourself. Otherwise the only real feasible way is getting a boosting group together. 

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I haven't played it on PS4, but I know a lot of people gave up on the plat because of Fector's Challenge. To be fair, that's a really stupid trophy. You're required to beat what is essentially a mini-game without dying once. That's not even in the spirit of a farming sim. The other trophies are just time-consuming, but that's to be expected.

I bought it for the PS4, but I'm hesitant to start. I feel I could do that trophy with enough practice, but it's like, "Do I really want to spend 100+ hours on a game I've already put a lot of time into on PC, knowing that I'll have to deal with an SMB-level trophy if I want the platinum?" That kinda goes against the very reason I play games like that.

Those aren’t good comparisons. Super Meat Boy is tough from the very beginning, everyone knows that when they’re going for that platinum. Stardew Valley on the other hand basically puts you into a mini game that has NOTHING to do with the chunk of the game, so there’s nothing to prepare you other than playing Fector’s Challenge repeatedly. 

It’s no different than Flappy Goat in Goat Simulator, which many people have given up on. Or that stupid crane trophy in Broken Age, which is much different than the point and click adventure. 

16 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

You're required to beat what is essentially a mini-game without dying once. That's not even in the spirit of a farming sim.

I agree. I was eager to platinum this game, even bought a physical copy... and then Fector showed up. Sent the game back to GameStop Day 1. X(

I know that the designer wanted to give more content but if he chose the achievements, he just shot himself in the foot by requiring you to beat the high score of a stupid arcade game. X(

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

You said repeatedly @Cassylvania you weren’t going to do The Last of Us. Maybe the upcoming sequel convinced you. 

I thiink she said she wasn't touching the sequel and she was working on The Last of Us, she wasn't touching 2.

And am I the only one who wants to kidnap Paper Mario and the Origami King and give it trophy support? The game trailer is awesome. xD

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

It’s no different than Flappy Goat in Goat Simulator, which many people have given up on. Or that stupid crane trophy in Broken Age, which is much different than the point and click adventure. 

Yeah, to be honest, games shouldn't betray their DNA. The only exception is if it is a parody. Super Paper Mario spoofs first-person RPGs with the Underchomp battle and the Evoland series enjoys spoofing tropes and does it seeminglessly. As you said, you know what you are getting into with Evoland 2. With Stardew, which is 90% Harvest Moon game, an arcade game should not have a trophy associated with it to force you to play it. Not everyone cares about your arcade game when they want to become the greatest farmer ever, marry their first love, have a baby, and raise animals and kids while fighting monsters in the mines. :S

On 5/27/2020 at 8:51 PM, Spaz said:

I still need to do the multiplayer myself. Still irks me that I will probably never 100 percent Uncharted 4 because of those stupid Survival trophies. Don’t know if it’s possible to buy your way with microtransactions and have good enough equipment (and practice obviously) to do those stages on Crushing by yourself. Otherwise the only real feasible way is getting a boosting group together.

I think you can do it solo without resorting to microtransactions. Not easily (obviously), but I remember there being glitches that you can abuse. I beat Stage 10 because the boss teleported himself off the map. There are others where you can stand in certain spots to either kill enemies as they spawn or force enemies to spawn in favorable areas. I'd check out some videos on YouTube to see how feasible it is in 2020.

11 hours ago, Rune_Crys said:

I thiink she said she wasn't touching the sequel and she was working on The Last of Us, she wasn't touching 2.

I actually meant I wasn't going to play either of them, but getting TLOU for free convinced me. If the rumors are true about the sequel, though, I probably won't touch it (and I certainly won't be paying for it). Still, I look forward to trying out Grounded mode.

11 hours ago, Rune_Crys said:

And am I the only one who wants to kidnap Paper Mario and the Origami King and give it trophy support? The game trailer is awesome. xD

I wish lots of Nintendo games had trophy support. Playing games on other consoles these days feels so empty. It's like, if I accomplish something, nobody is going to know it but me. That really disincentives me from completing games. Of course, it's less stressful that way...but I think I prefer having an account where you can proudly display your games and achievements.

Speaking of achievements... Unbeknownst to the world, I was on my longest trophy streak before I broke it yesterday due to sheer laziness. 54 straight days of earning at least one trophy. I could've made it longer, but I was starting to get to the point where I felt I HAD to get a trophy before midnight every day, and that's not how I want to game. Plus, I just really want to be done with Spider-Man. Playing through it again from a speedrunning perspective REALLY makes those cracks I talked about before show.

I see Shantae 5 FINALLY got released on console. Unfortunately, I don't see her wearing a mask or suffering from any disease, so she's just going to have to wait with Shovel Knight and Ajna in the indie game corner. We still have ten games to go!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rune_Crys said:

I agree. I was eager to platinum this game, even bought a physical copy... and then Fector showed up. Sent the game back to GameStop Day 1. X(

I know that the designer wanted to give more content but if he chose the achievements, he just shot himself in the foot by requiring you to beat the high score of a stupid arcade game. X(

There will come a point where going for 100 completion all the time just isn't worth it.

Most will agree Fector's Challenge is bullshit. I've seen the mini-game on YouTube and it looks pretty hectic. But meh, since I can't get 100 percent completion on my profile, might as well accept I won't be able to get everything done if it's out of my skill range.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I think you can do it solo without resorting to microtransactions. Not easily (obviously), but I remember there being glitches that you can abuse. I beat Stage 10 because the boss teleported himself off the map. There are others where you can stand in certain spots to either kill enemies as they spawn or force enemies to spawn in favorable areas. I'd check out some videos on YouTube to see how feasible it is in 2020.

I have not touched Survival since 2017, so quite a LOT has probably happened since then. Somebody made videos of him doing the stages on Crushing solo but those date back to 2017 as well. Something current will be a lot better.

But assuming I buy into the micro-transactions (which will very likely NEVER happen), would Crushing be a lot easier?

I actually meant I wasn't going to play either of them, but getting TLOU for free convinced me. If the rumors are true about the sequel, though, I probably won't touch it (and I certainly won't be paying for it). Still, I look forward to trying out Grounded mode.

Let me know how it goes for you.

I wish lots of Nintendo games had trophy support. Playing games on other consoles these days feels so empty. It's like, if I accomplish something, nobody is going to know it but me. That really disincentives me from completing games. Of course, it's less stressful that way...but I think I prefer having an account where you can proudly display your games and achievements.

Nintendo is the only big videogame company left that has stuck to their roots ever since the 1980s. Sony and Microsoft long ago abandoned their original ideas and mascots. Look at Sony back in 2005 and look at them now. They're almost unrecognizable in comparison. Nintendo I'm still able to easily identify with the flagship characters and franchises over 20 years on.

I have to agree with you. I would absolutely love to go back to Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time getting all the achievements. Beat Super Mario 64 in under a certain time limit? Challenge accepted. Beat the fake Ganondorf at the Forest Temple without getting hit? Done and done.

I would play those old Pokemon games from Gameboy and Gameboy Color for achievements. Why not? It gives me a good reason to go back to them.

Plus, I just really want to be done with Spider-Man. Playing through it again from a speedrunning perspective REALLY makes those cracks I talked about before show.

I take it you're not a big fan of this game?

It's virtually the same as Horizon Zero Dawn. New Game Plus took me 6 - 8 hours to finish, I basically skipped all cutscenes and just sat around waiting for the next main mission to pop up on the minimap. They make you sit around on New Game Plus despite the fact you did all the side content on your first playthrough.

Makes me wonder how New Game Plus on Days Gone is going to fare. I do own the game, but I hear it's quite a slog later on.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'll probably end up buying it early-ish, but I may wait. Depends on how the reviews look, honestly. I haven't seen anything that would make me hate the game yet though, honestly.

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, yeah, I absolutely get that - it's hard for me to play platinum-less games nowadays, and it feels like I'm not doing much if I'm playing on PC. Trophy hunting is such a completely meaningless thing, and yet it fuels me. Probably end up burning myself out again considering the rate at which I've been earning new platinums, but eh, we'll see how long I can keep this streak going. Just have to make sure I don't start platinuming trash games I get off PS Now again, because that killed it for me last time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have not touched Survival since 2017, so quite a LOT has probably happened since then. Somebody made videos of him doing the stages on Crushing solo but those date back to 2017 as well. Something current will be a lot better.

But assuming I buy into the micro-transactions (which will very likely NEVER happen), would Crushing be a lot easier?

After I finish with Persona 5 (could be awhile) Im going to try and grind out Survival mode for Uncharted 4.  I'll let you know how it is.  My understanding is that the Microtransactions only get rid of some of the weapon grinding in the middle, but that may have changed since I last looked into it, not sure what it looks like now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Together_Comic said:

After I finish with Persona 5 (could be awhile) Im going to try and grind out Survival mode for Uncharted 4.  I'll let you know how it is.  My understanding is that the Microtransactions only get rid of some of the weapon grinding in the middle, but that may have changed since I last looked into it, not sure what it looks like now.  

Keep me posted.

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

From what I remember, the main reason you need microtransactions is because of the item used to revive party members. You only get a finite amount through the normal campaign, so if you run out, the only way to get more is to spend actual money. Although...if you're doing it solo, I guess you wouldn't need that item. Hm.

I got lucky and did most of the maps right before (literally like the day before) they patched everything. As you've probably seen, the main problem is the time limit. The devs intentionally made the bosses stronger and player weapons weaker to the point that beating it without resorting to microtransactions (or glitches) is near impossible for most players. Had they increased the time limit to compensate for these changes, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they made their agenda very clear.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I have to agree with you. I would absolutely love to go back to Super Mario 64 and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time getting all the achievements. Beat Super Mario 64 in under a certain time limit? Challenge accepted. Beat the fake Ganondorf at the Forest Temple without getting hit? Done and done.

Those are precisely the kinds of things I used to do in video games as a kid. I remember one of the most epic achievements of my life was getting all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy in a single weekend. But they were just self-imposed challenges and nobody really believed you, you know? You'd get on the school bus and tell your friends, but these were the same assholes who said they found a way to ride Yoshi in Super Mario 64. They believed you as much as you believed them.

That's why I was so excited when I found out about trophies. The idea of having actual proof that you accomplished something in a game was mind-blowing for me at the time. And the fact that it tied all your games together on one account... I would've loved something like that 25 years ago.

Coincidentally, it's also why I hate microtransactions and (to a lesser degree) paid DLC. I want games that ask you to EARN content, not pay for it. It's just unfortunate that it goes against the business model most companies use today...

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I take it you're not a big fan of this game?

It's virtually the same as Horizon Zero Dawn. New Game Plus took me 6 - 8 hours to finish, I basically skipped all cutscenes and just sat around waiting for the next main mission to pop up on the minimap. They make you sit around on New Game Plus despite the fact you did all the side content on your first playthrough.

HZD is basically Spider-Man with boobs. That's another game I thought was a 7/10 at best, even though the individual parts were all fantastic. But yeah, NG+ in those games is nothing like NG+ in something like Dark Souls, where some care and thought had gone into the design of how a second playthrough might work. In fact, I'd even argue that NG+ in Dark Souls is the TRUE Dark Souls, because now your character is equipped with all the gear and insight that you gathered from your first playthrough. NG+ in Spider-Man, HZD, and probably Days Gone is just a pointless victory lap.

Alright, goals for this weekend. First, I'd like to finish my first journey on TLOU MP. If I do that, I can spend some time knocking out the remaining DLC trophies on my second journey, as the campaign doesn't start becoming problematic until 6+ weeks in. I'd also maybe like to begin Persona 5 Royal. I know I said that last weekend, but that was really dependent on whether or not I got invited to a boosting group for TLOU. My Time at Portia... Mm, I dunno. Got a lot done in it yesterday, but it's not an event game. No reason to rush it. I could finish Plague Inc, but some of the trophies left are really annoying.

I think what we need to do is find some games for the remaining categories. I can stick TLOU under #WORKOUT, I guess, but that still leaves #COOK, #LEARN, and #SOLVE. It's hard to find games that fit both the category theme and my mini theme, which is games that have to do with diseases or masks. (I mean, technically there are lots of masks in Portia, and I just got done with a quest where somebody was poisoning the water supply, but still...)

One game I really enjoyed on PC was Cook, Serve, Delicious!, and the sequel is on the PS4, but that game can't possibly play well with a controller. If you haven't played it before, you're basically tasked with creating a lot of foods at once. For example, if you're asked to make a BLT for someone, you'd press B for bacon, L for lettuce, and T for tomato. It becomes more complicated if you have multiple foods that begin with the same letter. Of course, on a controller, the only letter you have is...X. I feel like I might as well be playing a fighting game if I'm going to have to memorize combos like square square circle.

Don't Starve (or DS Together) is tempting, but the devs pulled a Toby Fox by making it clear that they don't want trophies in their game.

I dunno. Food games and diseases don't really mix.

22 hours ago, Rune_Crys said:

Oh no, you're not the only one. Give me this, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Old Door, Breath of the Wild, Mario Galaxy... with trophy support... oh man. That would be just awesome. * ~~~ * 

It's one of the gripes that made me swap from Xbox to PlayStation in the first place last year: I was so tired of missing good games that never got released to Xbox. ESPECIALLY the RPG's. Oh my goodness PlayStation is like a candy store for RPG's/JRPG's I've never seen in my life before. Unfortunately... can't capture all the games. My sister is trying to get me to get a Switch, but I've reached some weird point where unless the system has achievements/trophies/some sort of system like it, I just no longer can play games where I don't feel like I'm achieving something that will last. Then of course they have to be on one system as well cause I want all my progress to stay on something that can grow over time where I can look back 10 years from now and see everything I've done.

And I get it, Nintendo has to be competitive with their titles that stay only on their platforms but dang... if I can't dream of having some of these games on this platform. :'( Sigh.

• Like 1

All this talk of Paper Mario made me want to post here and tell y'all to check out Bug Fables as it's apparently a Paper Mario clone that is very highly praised.  I've not played it yet myself, but I have it on my wishlist for future purchase.

27 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Don't Starve (or DS Together) is tempting, but the devs pulled a Toby Fox by making it clear that they don't want trophies in their game.

I'd say DS Together is probably better trophy wise, there isn't anything like the Accomplishrine trophies like the original Don't Starve.  Plus despite being called DS Together, you can actually do nearly all of it solo if you wish - I don't know if it's been improved over the past few years but I found the online a little bit too laggy even when trying to play with my husband so ended up doing most of it solo.  Really fun game though and think it would be a nice addition to your survival games collection!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I wish lots of Nintendo games had trophy support. Playing games on other consoles these days feels so empty. It's like, if I accomplish something, nobody is going to know it but me.

We're in the same boat, I don't buy games for the Switch much anymore or if I do, I don't touch them often. I bought the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game because I enjoyed Blue Rescue Team and then Explorers of Sky... and then I fell into trophy hunting when Gates of Infinity came out and it burned in Hell. I tried to buy and play Super Mystery Dungeon but it didn't feel the same. After the first dungeon, I trashed the cart to GameStop. :(

I have Super Mario Maker 2, the last update was awesome(always loved them Koopalings!) but... I don't make levels with it much. Even the new World Maker(where you can basically make a hack of Super Mario World with five levels before world with eight worlds) doesn't feel as awesome as it should. It was just good timing that it had an online feature because I don't think it would have succeeded if you couldn't share your levels online. (The 3DS version of the original Super Mario Maker was nice but didn't allow you to share levels properly, so people didn't get into it much.) Pokemon is cool but the only reason I even bothered buying the expansion pass for Pokemon Shield was because I enjoyed every Pokemon in the game and the British-like land with all of its cool features and 3D graphics really made Pokemon pop. I mean, Sun and Moon were nice and finally made human beings look properly proportioned but the thought of getting a 'badge' showing you successfully beating the game or beating 100 battles in the Battle Tree would have been nice.

Playstation has spoiled us all for trophy support. :P

On the other hand, maybe it's for the best. If Nintendo ended up with a "Badge System" like trophies, then none of us would want to experiment with new titles or have fun with them. I wouldn't dare try a game that required you to do 100 jumps without missing in one fight. (That was a thing in Super Mario RPG and if you succeeded, someone gave you a really good piece of equipment.) I will probably play the new Shantae game on the Switch instead of the PS4 as I don't feel like trying for the platinum in that due to one trophy requiring you to do a two-heart run. *sigh* If you know that nobody will recognize your successes, you could not be so afraid to risk failure.

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I see Shantae 5 FINALLY got released on console. Unfortunately, I don't see her wearing a mask or suffering from any disease, so she's just going to have to wait with Shovel Knight and Ajna in the indie game corner. We still have ten games to go!

Seriously? VIdeo game characters don't need to social distance because the Corona virus doesn't exist in their world!

Speaking of the name Corona, I am getting back into Dragon Quest Builders 2. PS4 decided to update and wreck my run but I will get back soon, I swear.

From what I remember, the main reason you need microtransactions is because of the item used to revive party members. You only get a finite amount through the normal campaign, so if you run out, the only way to get more is to spend actual money. Although...if you're doing it solo, I guess you wouldn't need that item. Hm.

I got lucky and did most of the maps right before (literally like the day before) they patched everything. As you've probably seen, the main problem is the time limit. The devs intentionally made the bosses stronger and player weapons weaker to the point that beating it without resorting to microtransactions (or glitches) is near impossible for most players. Had they increased the time limit to compensate for these changes, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but they made their agenda very clear.

The chances of me skipping this entirely is extremely likely. I generally hate multiplayer where I am absolutely required to boost with other people. I did most of Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag's multiplayer on my own, with Sacred Land being the only trophy I had to boost.

That was the wrong move by Naughty Dog. They have this emphasis on multiplayer, I mean the PS3 era Uncharted games were fucking ridiculous with all that DLC they threw at you.

Those are precisely the kinds of things I used to do in video games as a kid. I remember one of the most epic achievements of my life was getting all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy in a single weekend. But they were just self-imposed challenges and nobody really believed you, you know? You'd get on the school bus and tell your friends, but these were the same assholes who said they found a way to ride Yoshi in Super Mario 64. They believed you as much as you believed them.

Super Mario Galaxy came out in the late 2000s. Most of everybody by then had an internet connection and a MySpace account. Super Mario 64 on the other hand.... it was easier to believe those rumors.

Kids these days don't know how widely accessible the internet is. I would of gone crazy back in 1998 if the internet was like it is today.

Coincidentally, it's also why I hate microtransactions and (to a lesser degree) paid DLC. I want games that ask you to EARN content, not pay for it. It's just unfortunate that it goes against the business model most companies use today...

They got their start over a decade ago in mobile gaming. Free to Play games needed microtransactions to keep them running. It worked, and sometime around the end of the PS3 era and the start of the PS4 era big publishers like Activision got the idea that microtransactions can work in a AAA game. It has, and unfortunately it's here to stay.

DLC is a big problem in itself. We went from us griping about it during the PS3 generation to just blindly accepting DLC nowadays. Eventually these companies will find a way to force you to pay additional money to advance in the main story.

They're already talking about live streaming being mandatory to play video games in the future. Just thinking about that makes my stomach churn.

HZD is basically Spider-Man with boobs. That's another game I thought was a 7/10 at best, even though the individual parts were all fantastic. But yeah, NG+ in those games is nothing like NG+ in something like Dark Souls, where some care and thought had gone into the design of how a second playthrough might work. In fact, I'd even argue that NG+ in Dark Souls is the TRUE Dark Souls, because now your character is equipped with all the gear and insight that you gathered from your first playthrough. NG+ in Spider-Man, HZD, and probably Days Gone is just a pointless victory lap.

They're basically the same. In Horizon Zero Dawn I just had Aloy wear the Shield Weaver outfit the entire time, because the game asked me to beat New Game Plus on the hardest difficulty. The outfit acted as a second lifebar, which was a huge life saver against some of the bigger machines.

In Marvel's Spider-Man I did much of the same thing. Skipped the cutscenes, wore the outfit that was going to give Peter Parker an edge on the enemies, and got my trophies soon enough. It's just boring, it was boring for both Horizon and Spider-Man. Days Gone I hear is pretty much the same crap.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

Oh no, you're not the only one. Give me this, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Old Door, Breath of the Wild, Mario Galaxy... with trophy support... oh man. That would be just awesome. * ~~~ *

I feel you man. A rush of nostalgia would overcome me if Mario Galaxy came with trophy support.

1 hour ago, Rune_Crys said:

Seriously? VIdeo game characters don't need to social distance because the Corona virus doesn't exist in their world!

I knew Cassy made a reference to it. I have to be reminded of that shit every day. Always saddens me to see the statistics on that virus.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

As someone who is avoiding all TLOU2 leaks/news like the plague and has it preordered, could you please give a spoiler-free reason why the rumor would make someone not want to play it? You might have mentioned earlier in this thread, so I apologize, but I tried searching for it.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sword said:

I keep wanting to pick up Breath of the Wild, and then it's like, "Do I REALLY want an open world exploration game without trophy support?" I wouldn't know what to do. Having those little goals in the back of my mind gives me something to work towards, even if all I'm doing is collecting literal shit. I get that Nintendo wants to be innovative, but they're missing a good opportunity here. If I were them, I'd design an achievement system that uses stickers, and each game you play would add a sticker book to your virtual bookshelf.

2 hours ago, Mesopithecus said:

I'd say DS Together is probably better trophy wise, there isn't anything like the Accomplishrine trophies like the original Don't Starve.  Plus despite being called DS Together, you can actually do nearly all of it solo if you wish - I don't know if it's been improved over the past few years but I found the online a little bit too laggy even when trying to play with my husband so ended up doing most of it solo.  Really fun game though and think it would be a nice addition to your survival games collection!

It does feel empty without a Don't Starve game there... Yeah, maybe I'll check it out. I was worried about the internet connection thing too (one of the reasons I've avoided Farm Together), but I haven't had any major problems with playing Castlevania or TLOU online.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

In Marvel's Spider-Man I did much of the same thing. Skipped the cutscenes, wore the outfit that was going to give Peter Parker an edge on the enemies, and got my trophies soon enough. It's just boring, it was boring for both Horizon and Spider-Man. Days Gone I hear is pretty much the same crap.

I'm wearing the suit of Spidey in his boxers because it's about how seriously I take this game. ?

19 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

As someone who is avoiding all TLOU2 leaks/news like the plague and has it preordered, could you please give a spoiler-free reason why the rumor would make someone not want to play it? You might have mentioned earlier in this thread, so I apologize, but I tried searching for it.

I can think of a few reasons why some people might be upset. Without going into spoilers, there is some political stuff that might ruffle a few feathers, but the actual story is so horribly written that I honestly have a hard time believing it's not fan fiction. I don't know if you've seen the last season of Dexter or Game of Thrones, but it's that level of bad, where it actively spits in the face of everything that came before it. For the sake of all the fans of TLOU, I hope the leaks aren't true or ND found a brilliant way to make their "concept" work.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I can think of a few reasons why some people might be upset. Without going into spoilers, there is some political stuff that might ruffle a few feathers, but the actual story is so horribly written that I honestly have a hard time believing it's not fan fiction. I don't know if you've seen the last season of Dexter or Game of Thrones, but it's that level of bad, where it actively spits in the face of everything that came before it. For the sake of all the fans of TLOU, I hope the leaks aren't true or ND found a brilliant way to make their "concept" work.

Thanks for keeping this spoiler-free. I have seen both GOT and Dexter's endings, which honestly I remember more than most good endings, as they were soul shattering for how much they built up the rest of the series. I didn't realize the leak was that big and don't want to go into it because i'm getting the game regardless, but it is hard to believe that their story writing got that bad, unless its the person who did UC3, which still isn't that bad.

• Like 1

Naughty Dog always seems to be really scummy with its microtransactions, tbh. It's weird we don't see more discussion about it, since generally people get into uproars about microtransactions. I guess most people see the multiplayer as a meaningless side thing?

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I was worried about the internet connection thing too (one of the reasons I've avoided Farm Together), but I haven't had any major problems with playing Castlevania or TLOU online.

It's the one Castlevania game in the franchise that has one online trophy (that requires boosting). Not too big a deal. The Last of Us on the other hand requires a minimum of 26 - 28 hours of multiplayer.

I'm going to try diving into it this summer, probably won't get the game done before the sequel comes out.

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm wearing the suit of Spidey in his boxers because it's about how seriously I take this game. 1f602.png

No 10 out of 10 rating from you it seems. ?

5 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Thanks for keeping this spoiler-free. I have seen both GOT and Dexter's endings, which honestly I remember more than most good endings, as they were soul shattering for how much they built up the rest of the series. I didn't realize the leak was that big and don't want to go into it because i'm getting the game regardless, but it is hard to believe that their story writing got that bad, unless its the person who did UC3, which still isn't that bad.

I've avoided the leak footage for as much as I possibly can, I wasn't one of those idiots who freaked the fuck out once they saw it. The person who leaked it should be held accountable, but a lot of fans have already lost their trust in Naughty Dog. I felt Uncharted 4 wasn't quite the same thrilling experience as the first three games were. Drunkmann taking out Doughnut Drake to not offend fat people was a stupid move in my opinion.

Uncharted 3's writing wasn't that bad at all, I don't know where people are getting that it is bad. My biggest criticism of the game was when Nathan Drake was stuck in a ship graveyard and you have to fight your way out. That was a complete waste of time and a bunch of padding, because you find out that one of the characters you thought you were going to save wasn't even there in the first place. The desert and the ancient city where you fight the supernatural were both very well done. Personally I wouldn't mind playing these games again on an alt.

The Last of Us Part II comes out this June. I would just play through the game yourself blind and be your own judge on how the game plays out. Drunkmann may be an asshole in person, but he doesn't deserve the pitchfork treatment on Twitter. Just a bunch of rabid fans who are pissed off.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:19 AM, Spaz said:

They're already talking about live streaming being mandatory to play video games in the future. Just thinking about that makes my stomach churn.

Seriously? Urgh, I think I need to lie down. I can't livestream worth beans and now future games will require you to put yourself on Facecam to complete the game? If Square-Enix does this with Kingdom Hearts 4, I am done and sticking with Sims 4 on PC and Super Mario Maker 3. ?

• Like 1