Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I dunno. We weren't really allowed to do stuff like that either. I remember one day, I had forgotten my homework in my locker and I went to school after hours to see if someone would let me in. The door was unlocked, so I opened it, looked around, didn't see anybody, and decided to just grab my stuff and leave. I was there for maybe two minutes. I think this was on a Saturday afternoon, but I guess somebody saw me and reported it because and I came in to school on Monday to find out the news that SOMEBODY HAD BROKEN INTO THE SCHOOL AND RULES WERE ABOUT TO BE CHANGED. Suddenly, they started putting huge chain locks on the doors and installing video cameras by every entrance. I'm pretty sure I single-handedly destroyed many of the freedoms we used to enjoy back in the day.

You're welcome.

I never went to a large school and having serious cases of bullying/violence was extremely rare, so we didn't have chain locks or video cameras. I couldn't imagine going to a high school in Compton, California or Brooklyn, New York, where there would likely be gang activity and kids wielding guns where you absolutely need security cameras and locks.

It was a school of 600 kids, freshmen through senior year.

That just sounds like a gross overreaction. If some kids vandalized some property I can understand the principal and some of the teachers wanting more security, but going back to getting your homework? Why did they do that?

We did a lot of stupid shit back in the day, because we were 14 - 16 year olds that didn't know any better. When I grew to six feet tall a lot of the would be bullies left me alone, but they picked on the short kids who were under 5'5" - 5'6". Nothing too serious, but a bad annoyance.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

That just sounds like a gross overreaction. If some kids vandalized some property I can understand the principal and some of the teachers wanting more security, but going back to getting your homework? Why did they do that?

I think it was more of a liability concern. Kids probably shouldn't be allowed into the school unsupervised. Whoever saw me didn't recognize me (which was a good thing), but I can understand the need for better security. I just didn't realize I was committing such a horrific crime. (Like, seriously. This was a huge deal at the time. They were trying to track down the culprit all week and this was around the same time as I had taken my stance as the head of the resistance.)

School was madness. I'm watching the Persona 5 anime now.

19 hours ago, gruffiiti said:

Haha you are playing Flipping Death. I really liked that one and Stick it to the Man. So wacky and the art style is fantastic!

It's a pretty wacky game. I'm close enough to being done that I'll save my thoughts for the review, but the main reason I'm playing it is that I needed to find some games that were short, relatively easy, fit the event (which in this case is based on the ID number), and don't have very many trophies. If I can finish up that and Firis this weekend, I should be on good pace to be done by September 15.

Any opinions out there on Iconoclasts?

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I think it was more of a liability concern. Kids probably shouldn't be allowed into the school unsupervised. Whoever saw me didn't recognize me (which was a good thing), but I can understand the need for better security. I just didn't realize I was committing such a horrific crime. (Like, seriously. This was a huge deal at the time. They were trying to track down the culprit all week and this was around the same time as I had taken my stance as the head of the resistance.)

School was madness. I'm watching the Persona 5 anime now.

This just sounds like pussification. Had an alarm gone off (and there should be security alarms) then yeah. 

Doesn’t help that these schools do a poor job in preparing kids for the real world. Had to learn a lot of stuff in college and go on my own to get an idea in how to pay bills. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Spaz said:

Doesn’t help that these schools do a poor job in preparing kids for the real world. Had to learn a lot of stuff in college and go on my own to get an idea in how to pay bills. 

I had a class in high school where we had pretend jobs and pretend bills and had to balance our pretend checkbook so we could support our pretend family. I made fun of it at the time (as you can imagine), but it probably did more to prepare me for the real world than any other class.

Anyway, with summer winding down, I think it's time to kick off the best season of the year with a double platinum.

Platinum #226 - Flipping Death

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/95ebb1/trophies/1L5a5ee7.png

Up first, we have a wacky platform/puzzle game. There isn't a lot of action in this one. The basic idea is that you possess various people in order to achieve some sort of goal. For example, you might be asked to paint a boat blue. You'll find a blue paint can, but it's out of reach. One person in town might have long arms to reach it, another might carry a tool that you can use to open the paint can, and another might have a way to move the paint from the can to the boat (hint: it's not with a brush). That's where the humor of the game comes in. The solutions to the puzzles aren't as abstract as they could be, but they do require you to think a bit unconventionally.

I'm going to say the humor is hit or miss. I liked it, but I could see some people getting annoyed because it tries to be funny all the time. It helps that the voice acting is really good. So are the animations. It feels like a Tim Burton cartoon.

Trophy-wise, it's pretty good. You get most of them just by playing the game. There's one trophy that requires doing something specific in the last two chapters and then going back using chapter select, which is weird, but it makes sense in the context of the storyline. You also have to complete all the challenges in each chapter, but the game keeps track of those for you.

I don't know if I'd recommend it. I'd say maybe with a $5 sale or a weekend rental. You could do it in two sittings if you rush.

Platinum #227 - Atelier Firis: The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/59413e/trophies/1L88a231.png

If you're only going to play one Atelier game... Nah, stick with Ryza.

Firis is actually the strangest Atelier game I've played yet. I think I was right calling it the black sheep of the series. The thing that makes it so different is that it's an open world game with a single timer (that looks scarier than it is). See, in most Atelier games, you're being timed, but usually in easy-to-manage chunks. 90 days to complete this task, then 90 more to complete this one... Here, you have one year to reach the other side of the map and take your exam. You have to get a few letters of recommendation along the way, and you actually need to win the last fight in the exam for a trophy, but otherwise it's up to you how you want to handle all the challenges the game has to offer. I say: put it on Easy and relax. Atelier games are stressful enough. This is probably the most chill I've been playing one of these. Only about 30% of the game is timed. Most of what you'll be working on is in the post-game, and you'll have unlimited time for that. Best of all, I don't think you even need to beat most of the optional bosses. But even if you did, I was able to kill the level 70 dragon easily at level 40. (Just make a good Blitz Stone and use several alchemists.)

No time for waifus in this. Firis is just Totori with green eyes. And you know Totters is my girl.

You know, maybe this IS a good Atelier game to start with. I do hate the doomsday clock timer on the side of the screen, but it's only there to make you nervous. I finished the main game with over 100 days to spare. Once you're in the last town, you can just sleep until the exam, which is precisely what I did. Then I bombed the multiple choice question part of the exam. I guess I should've paid more attention in school. (Doesn't matter. You can pass the exam if you just synthesize a really, really good item.)

All we need now is an image that accurately depicts what the Atelier games are all about.

Atelier Firis ~The Alchemist and the Mysterious Journey~_20170814221153 -  YouTube

Edited by Cassylvania

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

Two games on your list still with unobtainable 100 percents. Not sure how you feel about that.

Unfortunately, that's only going to become more commonplace as developers continue to push out broken or unfinished content. I'm just glad I didn't pay for the DLC.

Well, I started Atelier Lydie & Suelle. I've had this one for a while because it doesn't retail at EIGHTY DOLLARS like Firis. I'm either going to try to get one more trophy in it and then go back to the GBN3 games, or I'll try to squeeze in the 10k milestone before the end of GBN3. It would be kinda cool to get that on the fifth year anniversary of my account, but I probably won't wait that long.

Next up is Iconoclasts. I'm a little worried about this one. I got through Broforce (still one of my rarest trophies), but I don't really know what to expect here. Harder Mode is supposed to be fairly difficult. I don't mind a challenge, but there's an artificial time limit because I still need to squeeze in two more games before September 15. I'll likely do Another World for one of those.

• Like 2

Not a Platinum #Why - Iconoclasts

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/692d4c/trophies/11L8267a6.png

I've always liked that classic debate of what makes a game worthy of having a platinum. Everybody has their own opinion on this, but I usually subscribe to the 10 hour rule. If a game has at least 10 hours worth of content, it should probably have a platinum. That's why I think Telltale games are a good benchmark for where to draw the line. Five episodes, two hours per episode = one platinum. A game like Flipping Death, where you can finish everything in a single sitting, probably doesn't deserve one.

Iconoclasts is probably one of the harder games I've played this year. I don't think it was as hard as I had anticipated (you'll recall me being a bit apprehensive in the previous post), but one-hit deaths in a side-scrolling platformer is a tall order. At least, it WOULD be, but the game shows mercy by letting you equip up to three "tweaks" that allow you to take a extra hit. That and frequent checkpoints. The only real challenge is a few of the bosses (namely, fire lady and Bird Jesus) and any section where you have to play as someone other than Robin, as only Robin can equip tweaks. That means one-hit KOs. A couple of Mina's sections are aggravating because of that.

Anyway, I'm going to cautiously recommend this game. I think it's worth $5. You probably got it for free on PS+. For that price, you could definitely do a lot worse. It does enough things well that I think you'll enjoy your time with it, and Challenge Mode is a good way to test your reflexes without it feeling overly unfair. I'm going to agree with the people who gave it a 6/10 for difficulty. In some ways, my first playthrough was actually harder because I was reckless and didn't know what I was doing, but there are plenty of bosses in games like Dark Souls and Hollow Knight that are harder than anything you'll face here. Plus, when you die, it usually only sets you back a couple of minutes. Just remember to save a lot.

Well, we're in green block territory now. That phrase will make more sense soon. For the moment, we're steadily approaching 10k!

• Like 1

Congrats on Iconoclasts! Looks pretty alright but I'm probably not gonna bother with it ?

As for the inclusion of Platinum Trophies... I really don't understand the lack of consistency when it comes to this, but I'll ne honest... I think a Platinum Trophy doesn't have much value. 

Why? Well, because it is not achieved for accomplishing anything special, it is a trophy for having gotten all other trophies. In my opinion, a game isn't complete unless it's at 100%, and hence I care more about my completed games than about the plats themselves. Not to say that some of the most challenging games I've done don't even have a plat.

In that regard, I prefer the XBox scoring system. Seeing whether a game is or isn't at 100% is more than enough.

And anyways, a game without a plat affects your stats just as much as one with a plat. ? But I'm also aware that I am in the minority with this opinion. It is clear as day that Plats is what most people care about on this site. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

In my opinion, a game isn't complete unless it's at 100%,

I disagree. The Platinum is an indicator for "the game" being finished. If developers slap on DLC after DLC after that - well, that doesn't concern me. The release as intended is finished with the Platinum. I am biased, though, since I disapprove of DLC in general. DLC isn't part of the game for me. It's an addendum, otherwise - surely - it should have been in the original release.

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I think a Platinum Trophy doesn't have much value.

With that I agree, just that I think also any trophy's "worth" ends with the information of you did it or you you did not (yet). Trophies show that you played the game and if you did certain things. As such, the Plat is just the final "ding" that you did everything the developer thought was worth noting down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I disagree. The Platinum is an indicator for "the game" being finished. If developers slap on DLC after DLC after that - well, that doesn't concern me. The release as intended is finished with the Platinum. I am biased, though, since I disapprove of DLC in general. DLC isn't part of the game for me. It's an addendum, otherwise - surely - it should have been in the original release.

Sure, and I very deliberately started the sentence with 'In my opinion...', even though it should be clear that it is my subjective view on things,because I'm sure most will disagree. 

But I stand by it. If you decide not to do DLC, that's your call, but then you haven't completed the game. The base game, yes, but not the game. 

The release 'as intended' isn't complete with the plat, since most games already have very specific DLC planned and communicated before the base game even releases. 

4 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

With that I agree, just that I think also any trophy's "worth" ends with the information of you did it or you you did not (yet). Trophies show that you played the game and if you did certain things. As such, the Plat is just the final "ding" that you did everything the developer thought was worth noting down.

Yes and no. You are right, trophies only indicate what you have and haven't done (that the devs thought should have a trophy), but some trophies for doing specific, in particular challenging tasks, are more worth to me than other trophies such as dying for the first time in DS.

I am more proud of the Impossible Boy trophy in SMB than the plat.. the latter doesn't mean anything since it's just an in-game award for getting all other in-game awards.. a trophy for a trophy. Which is also why I don't display platinums in my cabinet. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Sure, and I very deliberately started the sentence with 'In my opinion...', even though it should be clear that it is my subjective view on things,because I'm sure most will disagree.

Of course. I didn't dispute that, I am just of a different opinion.

7 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

The release 'as intended' isn't complete with the plat, since most games already have very specific DLC planned and communicated before the base game even releases.

And if planned to be released later, that's extra, not part of the game to me. That's one of the reasons I don't like DLC, by the way - if it's part of the game, but released - and charged - separately, I call it rip-off (Mass Effect 3 DLC, much). If It's not part of the game, then it's an addendum. That at least is a way to display what I think about game development (or "vote with my wallet"). If you are a game developer and think that content is a vital part of the story you want to tell - put it in the base game. If you are just out for extra money: sorry, but I already buy games on relase day if I know about them, even if I know it'll be some time before I can play it. That is enough support from me.

10 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

I am more proud of the Impossible Boy trophy in SMB than the plat.. the latter doesn't mean anything since it's just an in-game award for getting all other in-game awards.. a trophy for a trophy. Which is also why I don't display platinums in my cabinet. 

That's where I am different than many people on this site. I don't feel proud or something similar about trophies. I like trophies, sure, but in the end, they are a checklist for me. To be honest, I do find the degree of obsession over trophies some people display here a tad unhealthy (not you, not to have any misunderstanding). Some people here are so judgemental you'd have to put the emphasis on mental. I play games for fun only, and before I joined this site, I thought everybody did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

That's where I am different than many people on this site. I don't feel proud or something similar about trophies. I like trophies, sure, but in the end, they are a checklist for me. To be honest, I do find the degree of obsession over trophies some people display here a tad unhealthy (not you, not to have any misunderstanding). Some people here are so judgemental you'd have to put the emphasis on mental. I play games for fun only, and before I joined this site, I thought everybody did.

I have to agree there... I didn't know there was a community that cares about trophies, but holy shit some people here and their obsession with trophies is both worrysome and fascinating. I play primarily for fun too, but I think you know that. And I say primarily because in the rare occasion I start a game thst sucks (latest example: Injustice) I will still suffer and get the 100%...

But really? You spent almost 900 hours going for the Nuclear Throne plat (I finally gave in and bought the game ?) and you feel no pride having persevered and really done everything trophy-wise? ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

But really? You spent almost 900 hours going for the Nuclear Throne plat (I finally gave in and bought the game 1f62c.png) and you feel no pride having persevered and really done everything trophy-wise? 1f605.png

Yes really. I have only ever given up on a single game in my gaming life (Ghosts 'n Goblins on Amiga). It was more a relief that I did it even though it took me six times longer than the usual time. Was still fun, albeit I cursed quite a lot at some bullshit that happened).

But: See to do the one online trophy in NT asap (it the "Not Bad" trophy)! Vlambeer (the developer studio) disbanded a short time ago at their ten year anniversary. Who knows how long the online is available? I didn't find infor for that, but why take a risk?

Edited by Rally-Vincent---

8 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

But: See to do the one online trophy in NT asap (it the "Not Bad" trophy)! Vlambeer (the developer studio) disbanded a short time ago at their ten year anniversary. Who knows how long the online is available? I didn't find infor for that, but why take a risk?

Yeah, thanks for the heads up! But that's why I bought the game now... Cause of the closure. Let's see, I hope the dailies will still be available for some time, but I might have to do this game next instead of what I had in mind... ?

I just like platinums because it's really the only thing that separates the Sony trophy system from the Xbox achievement system. You actually get rewarded for completing a game. The ribbon system, if it ever gets implemented, is nice too because it'd finally give recognition to games that probably should have a platinum but don't.

Anyway, green block territory is obviously about finishing a bunch of those non-plat games in a row, which is what I did with Iconoclasts, Another World, and now A Boy and His Blob. These were probably the trickiest trilogy of games I've ever played, but only when you consider how much went into the selection process. First, I needed three games that were relatively short and easy, so that I could finish them before the end of GBN3. Second, they had to have the right ID numbers for the event. Third, they had to collectively put me at 9999 trophies. And fourth, they had to be something I already owned or were reasonably priced/on sale. They didn't have to not have a platinum, but it just worked out that way.

Another World isn't worth a NAP review, but A Boy and His Blob was much harder than I expected. A couple of the bosses were really aggravating. The challenges are also a pain because you're put back at the beginning when you die. I didn't play the original or the Wii re-release, so I don't have any nostalgia for the title, but it's a decent enough platform/puzzle game. Very chill too, other than the bosses/challenges. I'd say maybe 12-15 hours, 4/10 for difficulty. Just a smidgen higher than what our sister site says.

I do want to say one thing about Another World. Fuck the checkpoints in that game. It's so dumb that a checkpoint is only made when you do things in the order the game wants you to do them. I think it's only an issue in the caves. If you flood the caves too soon, you're able to access the next area, but you keep being sent back to the caves when you die. How was I supposed to know that you have to JUMP DOWN A PIT in order to advance the story? It's not like there's anything to suggest that particular pit is any less hazardous than the others. You see a pit and you assume it's bottomless or full of spikes. Especially when all the other ones are. That's video game logic. And even when you go down the pit, it's not like an auto save is made. It just puts you back at the beginning of the caves until you advance far enough. How am I supposed to know that's the right way to go?

I'm also pretty sure you can fuck up your playthrough by shooting down the green ball at the wrong time. If you don't kill the alien with it and an auto save is made, how are you supposed to get by that room? Does the game just decide to not give you a checkpoint if you don't fire at the right time? Just like if you run out of ammo in the first elevator, the game just decides you deserve to die and sends a bunch of aliens to murder you. I mean, good on the devs for giving you an easy way to restart the checkpoint, but that's cold.

Time for a quick movie/show recap. Watched some pretty good things lately. The Persona 5 anime was...OK. I wouldn't pay $300 for it. I don't know why it's $300. I don't think you'd get much more out of it than simply watching all of the cutscenes from the game in a YouTube video. That's basically all the show is. Joker has a bit more dialogue, but it still feels rushed and flat. They probably would've been better off doing a sequel or a spin-off. Watched some dumb movie with THE ROCK and Jason Statham. It was what you'd expect. The Sonic movie was surprisingly decent. I still think the original trailer was fake to drum up interest, but it was nice to see actual heart put into what amounts to a wholesome kids' movie. The Greatest Showman, though... That may be one of the greatest movie I've seen in a long time. Used to think I wasn't a fan of musicals, but after that and La La Land, I might be changing my mind. Screw Rotten Tomatoes. Tonight, we watch Tom Hanks as Mr. Rodg--wait, no. Tonight, we watch football. It's back, baby!

Oh, and we'll work on that milestone...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm also pretty sure you can fuck up your playthrough by shooting down the green ball at the wrong time. If you don't kill the alien with it and an auto save is made, how are you supposed to get by that room? Does the game just decide to not give you a checkpoint if you don't fire at the right time? Just like if you run out of ammo in the first elevator, the game just decides you deserve to die and sends a bunch of aliens to murder you. I mean, good on the devs for giving you an easy way to restart the checkpoint, but that's cold.

I got stuck on that part for a bit because i thought just shooting it down is what was needed, but then i got down there and the dude was walled up and impossible to kill, trust me i tried the hard way. I then respawned right before him and decided to back track all the way up to shooting the glass ball and it respawned luckily, but you have to kill all the guards again to get there. The checkpoints overall were definitely annoying throughout the game. Also fuck those mouths on the ground, i dont know what it was but i had trouble jumping over them half the time and having to redo a large part.

Hope you are looking forward to watching the rival game on Sunday.

BTW, it looks like GBN event got extended to the end of the month.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

Congratulations? Question mark because it doesn't sound you had fun the last months. One reason I don't partake in events. I'm just playing what I want when I want it.

You got almost twice my number of trophies in half the time. I'm 300 trophies off for 6.000 and 13 plats away from #125, so it'll be some months. I have set up TLOU 2 for one, and the other most likely will become Cyberpunk 2077.

• Like 3

I personally don't give a crap about milestones, since I already ruined my trophy milestones with crap trophies there's no point in me trying to make my profile look slightly better.

I've looked at Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, looks fun to play, but the lone multiplayer trophy throws me off. Even worse is it's an old PS3 game (PSN title nonetheless) and I reckon very few people are still playing it. Definitely don't want to hassle with boosting it, I already got enough games I either don't want to complete or am hesitant to finish because of bad multiplayer trophies. Looking at you Red Dead Redemption.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

I personally don't give a crap about milestones, since I already ruined my trophy milestones with crap trophies there's no point in me trying to make my profile look slightly better.

My milestones for trophy count are also pretty terrible as I didn't pay attention to them, even with my latest 7k milestone, seems like too much effort to line up certain trophies for that. I am aiming for a specific 100 platinum milestone, which are a lot easier to line up.

That being said, Slaughtervania is a pretty sweet trophy to get for that 10k spot.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spaz said:

26 minutes ago, Grotz99 said:

My milestones for trophy count are also pretty terrible as I didn't pay attention to them, even with my latest 7k milestone, seems like too much effort to line up certain trophies for that. I am aiming for a specific 100 platinum milestone, which are a lot easier to line up.

That being said, Slaughtervania is a pretty sweet trophy to get for that 10k spot.

I understand this, I don’t care much for the milestone trophies either. The most I’ve done if I’m around that marker is that it’s from a game I’m really enjoying, but no effort past that.

@Cassylvania Congrats on hitting 10k, the trophy actually is pretty cool to have for your milestone.

Edited by ZombHunter13

On 9/11/2020 at 5:15 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

You got almost twice my number of trophies in half the time. I'm 300 trophies off for 6.000 and 13 plats away from #125, so it'll be some months. I have set up TLOU 2 for one, and the other most likely will become Cyberpunk 2077.

It helped that I had about five years of practice before beginning this account. I'd say at least 25% of my trophies are from games I had played previously.

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

I've looked at Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, looks fun to play, but the lone multiplayer trophy throws me off. Even worse is it's an old PS3 game (PSN title nonetheless) and I reckon very few people are still playing it. Definitely don't want to hassle with boosting it, I already got enough games I either don't want to complete or am hesitant to finish because of bad multiplayer trophies. Looking at you Red Dead Redemption.

It's not worth playing by yourself. I imagine it's doable (other than a couple of the trophies), but the bosses would be a pain to do solo. You really want an elite player to carry you through Hard Mode and/or farm a decent weapon. Kinda like Nioh...

3 hours ago, Grotz99 said:

Yeah, I didn't care much about most of my trophy milestones. I got whatever for 500, 1500, 2500, etc. because those were temporary milestones (at the time, they'd disappear when you reached 5k), but I tried a little harder with the multiples of one thousand. My 1k is dumb because I was trying to line it up with my favorite Goosebumps book as a kid, but it didn't quite work out. 2k is probably my favorite. I love Shantae's pose there. 3k, obviously I like Adventure Time... By 4k, I stopped caring because the milestones were changed. I love my 6k and 9k, though. ?

What are you doing for platinum #100? That's the most important plat milestone, I think.

Congrats on the win on Sunday. Vegas had the Vikings as favorites, but I don't think they accounted for how shitty their defense is now. Did they just pick up some guys off the street? ? I don't recognize any of the corners, I saw Everson Griffen playing for the COWBOYS (when the hell did that happen?), Linval Joseph is apparently gone, and I guess Danielle Hunter is out for at least three weeks. Giving up 43 points at home does not bode well for this year...

In other news, our entire survival league got wiped out yesterday. Everybody went all in on the Eagles or Colts. How do you lose to a team that doesn't have a name? I also regret drafting Brady, Gronk, and Evans... What a miserable day for fantasy.

Minecraft is back to 100%!

• Like 1