Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

It's not worth playing by yourself. I imagine it's doable (other than a couple of the trophies), but the bosses would be a pain to do solo. You really want an elite player to carry you through Hard Mode and/or farm a decent weapon. Kinda like Nioh...

Then it’s going on my do not play list. 

As I said in @Arcesius’s trophy thread, Nioh and Nioh 2 just look like they were meant to be played in co-op. 

Every From Software game since Demon’s Souls can be soloed and once you got the learning curve down, it’s not that bad. I think the worst was actually doing the whole Character/World Tendency bullshit, because I followed a guide for that while using the duping glitch to get what I need. 

Dark Souls I had to do legit which I spent a good 70 - 80 hours on, did it all by myself so it was satisfying on my own. Bloodborne strangely enough felt like the easiest, the Watchdog in the Chalice Dungeon was the only real difficult part. Then again you can just hire NPCs, much like Dark Souls. I still think the difficulty is exaggerated. 

Nioh and Nioh 2 on the other hand look like they’ve mostly had Dark Souls veterans who know every trick in the book, including utilizing the co-op. Every trophy has rather high percentages which leads me to suggest a good majority of players are Souls veterans. Nioh 2 is a definite example of why trophy rarity =/= difficulty. Many people I’ve talked to have said the game is difficult, but you wouldn’t know that judging by the percentages. Builds are also much more critical. 

I got two Dark Souls games to play, so I’m fine with not playing Nioh...... for a long while.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

What are you doing for platinum #100? That's the most important plat milestone, I think.

It's for a small indy tower defense game called Defender's Quest that I played more on PC, then got on PS4 to try for the platinum a while back. It's going to take some grinding so I'll play it a little here or there until I get closer to #100. Not only is it ultra rare, but I like the platinum trophy :). Tower defense games are a small guilty pleasure of mine in gaming.

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Congrats on the win on Sunday. Vegas had the Vikings as favorites, but I don't think they accounted for how shitty their defense is now. Did they just pick up some guys off the street? ? I don't recognize any of the corners, I saw Everson Griffen playing for the COWBOYS (when the hell did that happen?), Linval Joseph is apparently gone, and I guess Danielle Hunter is out for at least three weeks. Giving up 43 points at home does not bode well for this year...

There were a lot of upsets this week. Who would have thought that the Cardinals would beat the Niners? Or that Washington would play so well? The Viking's didn't look good in the first half of the game and by the time they got going in the 2nd half, it was too late. Aaron Rodgers was on point that game as well with Devante Adams(have Adams on my fantasy team :) ). In any case though, the famous Vikings D isn't looking too great this year.

Edited by Grotz99
  • Like 1

I lost a lot of interest in American Football over the years. Got fed up with seeing Tom Brady and the New England Patriots make it to the Superbowl every other year.

My favorite moment in Superbowl history that I have seen firsthand was when Peyton Manning fucked up royally during the 2014 Superbowl I think it was, Seattle Seahawks versus the Denver Broncos. Seahawks deserved to win that year from the start of the season. But I generally hate their fanbase, full of bandwagoners who cry when one little thing isn't going their way.

The Superbowl itself I cannot really enjoy anymore. This is when all the corporate bigwigs in America throw their bullcrap for advertising, the funding the Superbowl event gets is fucking insane. It is still the most watched televised event of the year, whether via internet or through traditional television.

I used to love the commercials and the half time show. But it's now basically mostly advertising, while the actual game makes up a small portion of what really matters from a business perspective.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 11:33 AM, Grotz99 said:

There were a lot of upsets this week. Who would have thought that the Cardinals would beat the Niners? Or that Washington would play so well? The Viking's didn't look good in the first half of the game and by the time they got going in the 2nd half, it was too late. Aaron Rodgers was on point that game as well with Devante Adams(have Adams on my fantasy team :) ). In any case though, the famous Vikings D isn't looking too great this year.

Yeah, because they all play for the Browns now! ? That was actually a really impressive game last night. Sucks having to play against both Chubb and Hunt in fantasy (yeah, somebody has a lot of faith in Cleveland), but I'm happy for them. The Browns. Not my opponent. He can burn.

On 9/16/2020 at 1:23 AM, Spaz said:

My favorite moment in Superbowl history that I have seen firsthand was when Peyton Manning fucked up royally during the 2014 Superbowl I think it was, Seattle Seahawks versus the Denver Broncos. Seahawks deserved to win that year from the start of the season. But I generally hate their fanbase, full of bandwagoners who cry when one little thing isn't going their way.

I liked the Seahawks when they were the underdog a few years before that and beat the Saints in the playoffs, despite having a losing record. But I like any team that beats the Saints in the playoffs. The Seahawks fan base from 2013-2016 was pretty obnoxious, though, I agree. It's amazing how many "fans" a team suddenly has when they're performing well. That's why I have a lot of respect for the Browns' organization. No matter how bad they are, their fans continue to support the team (albeit in self-deprecating ways sometimes). Give me that over nobody showing up for  games or random people suddenly coming out of the woodwork to cheer for whatever team is halfway decent that season.

I don't think this NFL season will last until November.

Anyway, I'm in a familiar place right now. I want to begin something new, but I also don't want to lose my place in Lydie & Suelle. That's the problem with Atelier games. You usually want to take a break when you finish the main game, but then you'll forget how synthesis works and how to transfer traits to get the best possible gear. I don't mind jumping back into a game if all I need to do is read dialogue or spam the X button, but I feel like I'm doing calculus when it comes to some of these maneuvers. I'm hoping I can do everything with subpar gear because I really don't feel like investing a lot of time into learning how to arrange Tetris blocks. I played that game once. I wasn't very good.

I wish Fell Seal would go on sale. I've been really itching for another turn-based strategy game. Maybe I have something in my backlog...

39 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't think this NFL season will last until November.

Our fantasy league has a condition in place if it doesn't make it 8 weeks, basically money back. Part of me wouldn't mind that because it can take a couple rona cases to spread and wreck teams.

41 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I wish Fell Seal would go on sale. I've been really itching for another turn-based strategy game. Maybe I have something in my backlog...

I picked up Phantom Doctrine recently in a sale (was $7.99). Has that XCOM type gameplay during the Cold War era. I think it's full price now unfortunately, but if I play it sooner rather than later, I'll let you know how it is.

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I liked the Seahawks when they were the underdog a few years before that and beat the Saints in the playoffs, despite having a losing record. But I like any team that beats the Saints in the playoffs. The Seahawks fan base from 2013-2016 was pretty obnoxious, though, I agree. It's amazing how many "fans" a team suddenly has when they're performing well. That's why I have a lot of respect for the Browns' organization. No matter how bad they are, their fans continue to support the team (albeit in self-deprecating ways sometimes). Give me that over nobody showing up for  games or random people suddenly coming out of the woodwork to cheer for whatever team is halfway decent that season.

I stopped caring about the Seahawks back in 2014 - 2015. Everybody was feeling for the Saints when Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans. Practically ruined that city, but that was 15 years ago and times have changed. I can sort of sympathize with Saints fans because the team has taken a lot of criticism over the years. Seahawk fans? I can't stand a lot of them, once the team starts a bit of a losing streak they jump off the bandwagon and support some other team.

For me, I like it when any team beats the Patriots. I know there are some Patriot fans on these forums but I am fed up with seeing them with an amazing record every other year. Tom Brady is probably one of the most cherished and celebrated athletes of our time. But to see the same team win every year or every other year just tells me things need to change.

That is why I stopped watching the NBA and no longer support that organization. It became all about Lebron James and just about Lebron James. Now if you want a sports team that suddenly gets a "million fans" overnight, it's any team that has Lebron James. Nobody gave a crap about the Cleveland Cavaliers before Lebron went to their team. Then when he went to the Miami Heat the sports media basically tracked his every movement. With the LA Lakers it's just the same thing. ESPN was basically allowing an entire chunk of footage on just Lebron James. Dwayne Wade, Kevin Garnett, Dirk Nowitzki, Carmelo Anthony, none of them ever got that amount of exposure. Even Kobe Bryant didn't get as much media attention in my view, not until news spread that he had a rocky relationship with Shaquille O'Neal and there was that sexual assault case a couple years later.

5 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Why not support developers by going full price so they know that people want those kind of games?

I don't understand why they have to make those strategy games so expensive. You're paying $30 - 40 for a lot of them, with them all coming from Steam.

I would like to try out a couple of them, but rarely do they seem to be put on sale. That could explain why they only have a small handful of game owners.

22 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don't understand why they have to make those strategy games so expensive. You're paying $30 - 40 for a lot of them, with them all coming from Steam.

I would like to try out a couple of them, but rarely do they seem to be put on sale. That could explain why they only have a small handful of game owners.

I doubt it's the pricing. There is just less interest in Tactical Turn Based Combat on consoles. More mindless things like COD are en vogue. That's why every sale counts for the next TTBC game.

5 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I doubt it's the pricing. There is just less interest in Tactical Turn Based Combat on consoles. More mindless things like COD are en vogue. That's why every sale counts for the next TTBC game.

You’re not going to get the same capabilities with a controller. I’ve played virtually every modern strategy game on Steam with a mouse and keyboard.

That’s not to say they’re not that good on console. I rarely see them in sales. 

In Call of Duty you don’t need a brain to enjoy it. Strategy games like Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, while not a bad game, requires a lot more brainpower and memorization. You severely limit your playerbase. They were always niche to a degree.

Edited by Spaz

Fell Seal is not a strategy game. It's a tactical RPG - turn based combat.

I prefer to play strategy games on PC as well. You can't replace two dozen shortcuts on a keyboard well with a controller. My choice of Civilization is CIV IV. I stopped there because of the hey grid that started with Civ V. Vic IV has great mods, I never felt the need to go higher.

40 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Fell Seal is not a strategy game. It's a tactical RPG - turn based combat.

I never heard of the game until Cassy mentioned it. I will have to look into it. 

40 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I prefer to play strategy games on PC as well. You can't replace two dozen shortcuts on a keyboard well with a controller. My choice of Civilization is CIV IV. I stopped there because of the hey grid that started with Civ V. Vic IV has great mods, I never felt the need to go higher.

You may be familiar with the CivFanatics website. 

I generally play with the BUG mod and BULL DLL. Helps when rival AI is plotting for war. 

A few Youtubers really helped me in being a better player. I can play up to Emperor difficulty. Immortal I generally have to be lucky. I don’t bother with Diety, usually get tested up to shreds. 

Hey @Cassylvania, is Slay the Spire anywhere on your list of games to play? It's the only game that I've played quite a bit lately, also on PC, and I have a feeling that it's the kind of game that you would really enjoy. The platinum can be quite challenging (I don't suppose I'll ever get there) and definitely time-consuming, but I am very confident that you're more than qualified to get it ?

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 0:49 PM, Cassylvania said:

That's the problem with Atelier games. You usually want to take a break when you finish the main game, but then you'll forget how synthesis works and how to transfer traits to get the best possible gear. I don't mind jumping back into a game if all I need to do is read dialogue or spam the X button, but I feel like I'm doing calculus when it comes to some of these maneuvers.

I know the feeling. I want to take time off of my current project(FFXIV) but I feel lost if I don't log in once a day... and then I get sucked in. Got 6 of the 9 base game classes to their Level 30 quest and working on the last three(Archer, Marauder and Gladiator), but I know that I want to make some happiness when Dragon Quest XI S comes out two days before my 48th birthday. Also, that last Nintendo Direct revealed Disgaea 6... but it's not on PS4 yet. I swore they'd stop after 5, but they brought back a zombie from the dead to star. Yeah, the only main character they haven't done in the undead department is ghost. xD

On 9/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Why not support developers by going full price so they know that people want those kind of games?

Rally out here dropping truth bombs. Honestly, I don't mind paying full price for a good game, but I'm more hard-pressed for money this year than usual. I'll have to see if it's worth $30. That's usually the price I reserve for AAA games.

I'm kinda glad I lost my chance to preorder a PS5. I don't think I could afford it right now.

8 hours ago, det_gittes said:

Hey @Cassylvania, is Slay the Spire anywhere on your list of games to play? It's the only game that I've played quite a bit lately, also on PC, and I have a feeling that it's the kind of game that you would really enjoy. The platinum can be quite challenging (I don't suppose I'll ever get there) and definitely time-consuming, but I am very confident that you're more than qualified to get it 1f60e.png

You know, you're not the first to suggest that game to me. It's almost always on sale, so I don't see why not. I'll pick it up, but that sneaky DLC has me worried... Are there more to come? Most likely.

Platinum #228 - Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/1db396/trophies/1L749a10.png

Geez, that title... Anyway, what is this? The eighth Atelier game I've finished? I'll forego my usual joke by saying at least there's nothing missable (as long as you max the bar every time you go to rank up). Transferring traits to get the bear gear in the post-game is still annoying, but best girl Firis has your back when it comes to combat. OP much? I was able to one-shot most bosses once I actually spent the time to craft what I needed, so you could probably get away with skimping in a few areas. Had a few snags near the end where I couldn't figure out how to advance the story. I think some questlines require you to either kill some monsters or synthesize before the next event will trigger. And I don't know how you're supposed to know how to get the painting ending without reading a guide. But why would you play an Atelier game without a guide? Are you a madman?

I guess we have to follow tradition by looking at some artwork from the game.

Atelier Lydie & Suelle Will Have Only Japanese Voice Overs with Subtitles

Coincidentally, this is how the Vikings' season is going.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

It's almost always on sale, so I don't see why not. I'll pick it up, but that sneaky DLC has me worried... Are there more to come? Most likely.

You mean the retail version is often on sale? Because the digital game is definitely not, though the game is not too expensive to begin with, and definitely worth the price. As for DLCs, I doubt there will be more, but regardless, the game is very well-behaved in terms of how trophies unlock.

51 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Rally out here dropping truth bombs. Honestly, I don't mind paying full price for a good game, but I'm more hard-pressed for money this year than usual. I'll have to see if it's worth $30. That's usually the price I reserve for AAA games.

I'm kinda glad I lost my chance to preorder a PS5. I don't think I could afford it right now.

Well, I mean - money problems are a very good reason to wait for a price drop and/or sales. A large backlog comes in handy in situations like that.

As for PS5, I am waiting half a year to a year. That's when I assume the first changes and adjustments have come though to weed out the little faults a new thing nowadays has. Also, black PS5 hopefiully available at that point.

I have a Steam account so I can always buy these modern strategy/tactical turn based shooters if I want to. My PC is good enough to run most indie games, maybe a few AA games. 

AAA games on the other hand require too many specs unless I wanted to custom build my PC, which I have neither the time nor the money for. 

On 20.9.2020 at 2:50 PM, det_gittes said:

Hey @Cassylvania, is Slay the Spire anywhere on your list of games to play? It's the only game that I've played quite a bit lately, also on PC, and I have a feeling that it's the kind of game that you would really enjoy. The platinum can be quite challenging (I don't suppose I'll ever get there) and definitely time-consuming, but I am very confident that you're more than qualified to get it 1f60e.png

It's pretty addicting, but the RNG is strong with this one. Rogue-like games are time sinks, and I've got a couple of them lined up. *le sigh*

• Like 1

MMOs are the worst time sinks. Played them extensively in the past, but I will probably never play another one in my life ever again.

They were the shit back in the 2000s, nowadays they're just not that fun anymore. Games that are never ending, and the developers changing them to the point where they're virtually unrecognizable. It's what happened to World of Warcraft. Would love to go back to the Burning Crusade days and play it all over again. But with what the game is now, I won't even bother.

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

MMOs are the worst time sinks. Played them extensively in the past, but I will probably never play another one in my life ever again.

They were the shit back in the 2000s, nowadays they're just not that fun anymore. Games that are never ending, and the developers changing them to the point where they're virtually unrecognizable. It's what happened to World of Warcraft. Would love to go back to the Burning Crusade days and play it all over again. But with what the game is now, I won't even bother.

That's why I left my main character at level 70 and mainly did BC content even with the newer expansions. Don't play anymore though

2 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

That's why I left my main character at level 70 and mainly did BC content even with the newer expansions. Don't play anymore though

I left the game during Mists of Pandaria.

There's no reason to pay their overpriced subscription fee anymore, when PS Plus and other online services give you a lot more for your buck. That's a big reason why MMOs are declining and losing their playerbase.

1 minute ago, Spaz said:

I left the game during Mists of Pandaria.

There's no reason to pay their overpriced subscription fee anymore, when PS Plus and other online services give you a lot more for your buck. That's a big reason why MMOs are declining and losing their playerbase.

I used my own gold to pay for subscription, but its just boring now

2 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I used my own gold to pay for subscription, but its just boring now

Of course.

People don't want to socialize and group together anymore. It's rushing to get content done ASAP, which kills much of why MMORPGs were good back in the day.

Some of my real life friends who were still clinging to WoW a couple years back were just logging into the game to do some daily quests, run a few dungeons and raids with PUG using the LFD and LFR tools, then logging out and doing other stuff. I did that shit with Old School Runescape and it was so boring and monotonous I basically quit for good in 2016.

They were fun, but nowadays they're just a time sink for all the wrong reasons.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:57 PM, det_gittes said:

You mean the retail version is often on sale? Because the digital game is definitely not, though the game is not too expensive to begin with, and definitely worth the price. As for DLCs, I doubt there will be more, but regardless, the game is very well-behaved in terms of how trophies unlock.

Hm, I thought I used to see it on sale for half price. Must have been some other game. No biggie. Picked it up last night.

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

People don't want to socialize and group together anymore. It's rushing to get content done ASAP, which kills much of why MMORPGs were good back in the day.

That's the thing. MMOs came out at a time when almost everybody had the internet but nobody knew how to use it yet, so getting to meet people from all around the world was both new and refreshing. WoW was a bit after my time, but EverQuest was purposely designed to be a social experience, with team-based combat and a majority of classes that could not solo past level 15 or so. (I mean, I usually played as a bard, which could theoretically solo, but it involved running in circles and cycling through the 1-4 keys on the numpad for hours on end.) It was just a different world back then. People had more time on their hands and were less anxious. You'd get in a group with a bunch of random strangers and get to know them over the course of a few hours or even a few days. It was cool to meet somebody at a low level and then bump into them again weeks down the line, when you may or may not even remember each other. I even liked how the game let players grief others. I know that's usually frowned upon, but you guys can't truly appreciate karma until you've seen the monk who tried to pull a train of mobs to your location get absolutely wrecked by the boss in the zone. Assholes were just rare enough that they never ruined the game, but it always made you a little leery when you came across another player. That sense of unease and uncertainty is what made the games so much fun for me. I talked before about how increasingly nervous you'd get as you ventured further and further away from your home/binding area. Knowing that you could lose EVERYTHING made the adventures more exciting and suspenseful. Now, with the way games are designed, players aren't punished nearly enough. I hate to say that because I know games should be accessible to everybody, but you lose something when you begin making compromises like that.

WoW...I dunno. I didn't get into it much. I was a healing-focused paladin, so I could semi-tank and semi-heal, which made me welcome in almost every group, but the game was too fast-paced. You had to move. I don't know how many of you actually played the original EQ, but that kind of combat was almost exclusively reserved for end-game raids or farming/powerleveling. Most of the time, you'd go into a zone and there would be "camps," which were certain areas of the map that were good for pulling mobs to and killing them as a group. Usually, you'd have one member of the group run out, aggro a monster, and then bring him back to the group. They were called pullers. (Most of you probably already know this.) That was actually a skill that I don't see in modern MMOs -- or at least not ones I played. You had to kinda know how close you could get to an enemy without aggroing all of his friends too. Monks had it a bit easier because they could feign death if they pulled too many mobs at once. I think rangers were one of the better ones too because they should shoot the mob from a distance and then the tank could take the aggro away from them. And mana in that game regenerated SLOWLY. You'd have to actually sit and wait for it to refill. I remember I had an enchanter or something and I spent most of the game on my butt. /gems. You remember /gems? /gems is what you'd do if you were an enchanter.

I don't think I've ever been more heartbroken when it comes to video games than the day I found out EverQuest Next was cancelled. I am very, very cautiously optimistic about Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, but damn. I don't think it'll happen. And even if it does, I don't know if it'll ever be the same. MMOs came out at just the right time for something like that to be popular. I don't know if there are enough fans of the old ways to keep things going.

Then again, retro games have seen a resurgence in the past decade...

Edited by Cassylvania

54 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That's the thing. MMOs came out at a time when almost everybody had the internet but nobody knew how to use it yet, so getting to meet people from all around the world was both new and refreshing.

The 1990s started the World Wide Web. The early - mid 2000s was when most people had the internet, but didn't know how to customize their PC and basically played their games on the system with what the desktop computer came with.

I played both Runescape and World of Warcraft on an old Windows XP desktop. So were millions of other teens, and because this was our first time in meeting people all over the world over a computer game (MMORPG), it was exciting and new.

57 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

WoW was a bit after my time, but EverQuest was purposely designed to be a social experience, with team-based combat and a majority of classes that could not solo past level 15 or so. (I mean, I usually played as a bard, which could theoretically solo, but it involved running in circles and cycling through the 1-4 keys on the numpad for hours on end.) It was just a different world back then. People had more time on their hands and were less anxious. You'd get in a group with a bunch of random strangers and get to know them over the course of a few hours or even a few days. It was cool to meet somebody at a low level and then bump into them again weeks down the line, when you may or may not even remember each other. I even liked how the game let players grief others.

I'm not going to try to wear rose tinted glasses and say only the good people were playing these MMOs because I met a lot of griefers back in the day. But the stark different between back then and now is we seemed to have a thicker skin. We just took the shit these bad players said to us, put them on our Ignore list and move on.

Nowadays I see people playing WoW Classic and they take on to social media to post one bad incident that happened. Generation Z definitely seems to be a bunch of softies because they take to Twitter whenever something bad happens. It's a part of life. Several of the bad experiences I had with Runescape from ended up being vital life lessons. You can't befriend everybody because there are bad apples out there who can't be reasoned with.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I know that's usually frowned upon, but you guys can't truly appreciate karma until you've seen the monk who tried to pull a train of mobs to your location get absolutely wrecked by the boss in the zone. Assholes were just rare enough that they never ruined the game, but it always made you a little leery when you came across another player. That sense of unease and uncertainty is what made the games so much fun for me. I talked before about how increasingly nervous you'd get as you ventured further and further away from your home/binding area. Knowing that you could lose EVERYTHING made the adventures more exciting and suspenseful. Now, with the way games are designed, players aren't punished nearly enough. I hate to say that because I know games should be accessible to everybody, but you lose something when you begin making compromises like that.

That's how gaming was back then. Kids and young people were expected to overcome challenges and obstacles the games threw at them. Losing EVERYTHING could teach them a lesson.

I definitely noticed the trend when both Old School Runescape and World of Warcraft was starting to cater more towards the people who didn't want to put in the effort. Gravestone timers were added in Old School Runescape so players wouldn't lose valuables that they spend hours and tens of hours working towards getting. WoW nowadays is basically rushing to do dungeons and raids, then quitting out once you get your loot. In Vanilla getting good gear took a lot longer and you had to work with other people. Today much of the content in the game caters more towards the person who doesn't want to put in the work, who also avoids people. It's just not fun anymore, and it's more boring as a result because there are far less risks in WoW compared to what it was back in 2004 - 2008.

You had to move. I don't know how many of you actually played the original EQ, but that kind of combat was almost exclusively reserved for end-game raids or farming/powerleveling. Most of the time, you'd go into a zone and there would be "camps," which were certain areas of the map that were good for pulling mobs to and killing them as a group. Usually, you'd have one member of the group run out, aggro a monster, and then bring him back to the group. They were called pullers. (Most of you probably already know this.) That was actually a skill that I don't see in modern MMOs -- or at least not ones I played. You had to kinda know how close you could get to an enemy without aggroing all of his friends too. Monks had it a bit easier because they could feign death if they pulled too many mobs at once. I think rangers were one of the better ones too because they should shoot the mob from a distance and then the tank could take the aggro away from them. And mana in that game regenerated SLOWLY. You'd have to actually sit and wait for it to refill. I remember I had an enchanter or something and I spent most of the game on my butt. /gems. You remember /gems? /gems is what you'd do if you were an enchanter.

Sadly I never got around to playing Everquest. But what you're describing is much of what WoW was too. It was just a bit more fast paced, whereas Everquest was a bit slower because I had friends in high school and college who played the game.

I imagine most people nowadays would run out of patience before that mana would refill. Rather sad, because we played for the journey and the experience. Today, it's all about the destination.

I don't think I've ever been more heartbroken when it comes to video games than the day I found out EverQuest Next was cancelled. I am very, very cautiously optimistic about Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen, but damn. I don't think it'll happen. And even if it does, I don't know if it'll ever be the same. MMOs came out at just the right time for something like that to be popular. I don't know if there are enough fans of the old ways to keep things going.

I would love to play some of the MMOs I enjoyed in the past but they will never go back to the old ways. That was a time bubble we experienced when we were younger. It was the first time I got to experience games being played from all over the world, so obviously it was a big deal. That blew my mind as a 15 year old kid. But grownups too were impressed. Times have changed.

Today I couldn't give a flying fuck about Overwatch, Fortnite, Anthem, Fall Guys or DOTA 2. It's the same "toxic" community of assholes that just turn me away from the games. Now I'm not saying there weren't bad people on the MMOs we played 15 years ago, but it definitely felt like the moderators policed them better. These games are more mainstream than Everquest ever was in it's livespan, because at that time video games were still niche. There's a lot more people now, and with that brings a lot more assholes.

I'm humble with playing single player only games. I'm just fed up with dealing with idiots and morons online when I play video games.

• Like 1