Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

So, what is Toren? Toren is a young girl who...what do you mean "Toren" is the name of the tower? That's stupid. That'd be like if Celeste was the name of the mountain.

Can someone educate Cassy about who the main character of Celeste is? I'm sure "Madeline" isn't the name of the mountain... :P

But yeah, why they decided to name the mountain is weird. Nice review though.

Damn, Toren does look like a badass.

Also thanks for Clockwork God, I haven't picked it up yet or anything but it's entered the mental backlog (which is almost as binding as the actual one, of course) thanks to your splendid review.

I need more funny games in my life. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 22/07/2021 at 3:29 AM, YaManSmevz said:

Also thanks for Clockwork God, I haven't picked it up yet or anything but it's entered the mental backlog (which is almost as binding as the actual one, of course) thanks to your splendid review.

I need more funny games in my life. Thanks!

Seconded - I had never heard so much as a whiff about this game - but is now firmly in my wishlist ?

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I will recommend this game, but not to fellow completionists. There just aren't enough turn-based strategy games out there to pass this one up. I think it was better than Langrisser I & II, but not nearly as good as Banner of the Maid. I'm still surprised how decent that game was. Maybe if I get bored this year, I'll make a tier list for TBS games...

Welp... that'll knock Wargroove down a peg for me in terms of my desire to ever play it. I appreciate it though! It seems like a game that wouldn't be too bad for zoning out and playing while you listen to other stuff but I have plenty of those sorts of games in my catalog as is for the moment. I would really like to see that TBS ranking tho!

On another note, correct me if I'm wrong but you appear to be making a concerted enough since the start of June on some ultra-rare platinums. (Kingdom: New Crowns at 3.7%), (Phantom Doctrine at 1.9%), (Wargroove at 3.6%) and now Stranded Deep (which I believe was a PS+ game), as well as Cozy Grove (yet another Cassy game I had never heard of before looking at your profile ) Before that your last UR, was the infamous DQH2 (Feb. 2021) and even further before that you get to Kingdom: Come Deliverance (Feb. 2020). I really respect it since you can dip your toe into games that have virtually 0 guide support (or if there is any, it's very limited) 

3 hours ago, realm722 said:

Welp... that'll knock Wargroove down a peg for me in terms of my desire to ever play it. I appreciate it though! It seems like a game that wouldn't be too bad for zoning out and playing while you listen to other stuff but I have plenty of those sorts of games in my catalog as is for the moment. I would really like to see that TBS ranking tho!

I'll have to figure out what constitutes a TBS. Like, obviously Wargroove, Langrisser, and The Banner Saga (it's even abbreviated TBS), but what about Valkyria Chronicles or Mutant: Road to Eden? They're both like XCOM, but VC plays a lot more like a TBS than Mutant, which plays more like Phantom Doctrine, which is a TBS. That's why I kinda grouped all these together in the OP. But then you have card games like Slay the Spire and Frost, which are both turn-based and strategy, so how can I say they're not TBS? Ikenfell is borderline between a TBS and an RPG. I felt comfortable putting that there, but not Nexomon, Bug Fables, or Cosmic Star Heroine.

So, to me, I guess I'd be using all the games I put under "Strategy and Tactical RPG" for my tier list, which would be...difficult. I liked them all. I'm not sure I could even separate out the XCOM, Banner Saga, or South Park games.

I was thinking of putting together a tier list of my favorite video game genres, though. (Mostly inspired by your top 5 lists.) Maybe I'll post that later today. I just need to decide what #5 is going to be.

4 hours ago, realm722 said:

On another note, correct me if I'm wrong but you appear to be making a concerted enough since the start of June on some ultra-rare platinums. (Kingdom: New Crowns at 3.7%), (Phantom Doctrine at 1.9%), (Wargroove at 3.6%) and now Stranded Deep (which I believe was a PS+ game), as well as Cozy Grove (yet another Cassy game I had never heard of before looking at your profile ) Before that your last UR, was the infamous DQH2 (Feb. 2021) and even further before that you get to Kingdom: Come Deliverance (Feb. 2020). I really respect it since you can dip your toe into games that have virtually 0 guide support (or if there is any, it's very limited)

Hm. Well, I guess indirectly I have been trying to get my average rarity down (it's usually close to 41%, but I'm aiming for sub-40%). Cozy Grove won't be happening any time soon, though. They have a trophy for playing once in every real world season, so the earliest I could platinum it is probably March or whatever constitutes "spring" in the game. I'm not sure how I avoided an UR plat for an entire year. KCD was amazing, though. If I had an awards ceremony last year, and if it wasn't for P5R, that game would've swept a few categories.

I think a lot of the games I'm playing are only UR because of their obscurity. I think Shadow Tactics is probably going to be a harder game than all of the ones you mentioned, but that's not an UR for some reason.

• Like 1

I tend to think Action Platformer/Metroidvania is more popular amongst older gamers in their 30s and 40s. The entire term 'Metroidvania' spawned out of Super Metroid, the SNES classic from 1994 that basically introduced a whole new genre. But it wouldn't take off until 10 - 15 years after the game released, since everybody was more focused on the 3-D platforming that was prominent in the N64 and PS2 generations.

Ogre Battle 64 I remember fondly. You basically confirmed you are at least a couple years older than me, but this game was one of the first RPGs that I really got into. I could not play RPGs when I was younger, they were too difficult and complicated for my little brain to comprehend. I didn't jump onto Chrono Trigger and Earthbound until long after they released, but they remain my top two favorite JRPGs of all time. If Square Enix decides to re-release Chrono Trigger, let me just say I'll piss my pants for being so excited.

I loved Donkey Kong Country 2, but I personally felt Donkey Kong Country was still the most memorable. Without that game, Donkey Kong wouldn't have achieved the success and sales he has accumulated thru the years and decades. You have to wonder if there would of been a 'Metroidvania' genre without Super Metroid. There is Castlevania, which may be a close second. But a number of games in that series aren't Metroidvanias. Super Metroid spawned and perfected the 'Metroidvania' genre. Every 'Metroidvania' game in existence has taken elements from Metroid and Super Metroid, hence is why it is titled as such.

Compared to other 3-D platformers, Super Mario 64 holds up remarkably well. If I ever decide to get a Switch, Super Mario 3D All Stars will probably be the first title I will buy for it.

• Like 1

Long post is a great post. RPG and Tactical/Strategy games are my favorite genres. along with simulations and management games. Let me justr pick one thing out to reply:

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Fire Emblem or maybe Advance Wars was my first entry into this genre. Even then, the games were too easy. My favorite way of playing Fire Emblem games was to sacrifice one character per map OR to choose a team of the maximum number of characters you could deploy in a single mission (usually 12 or 13) and kill off everybody else. Again, I think I liked both the idea of giving myself a challenge and having to rely on a smaller team of elite soldiers. Maps became like a game of chess, where I had to outsmart the AI because I couldn't overpower it, as I'd usually stick to characters I liked instead of ones that were powerful. It also got me attached to the characters I did use, which is why I don't think I would've enjoyed the game as much if I, say, only used the weakest possible characters on each map, even if that would be a far greater challenge. That attachment to those 0's and 1's is something no story-based game has ever made me feel. That's why I find myself moving further and further away from AAA games, which are becoming increasingly narrative-driven. They don't tell unique stories. Strategy games do.

My own experience is different. I love story-driven games. I love it if someone tells me a story - books, movies, games. There is nothing better than a story for me..

What I enjoy most in RPGs - and what is probably the biggest trope in story-telling - is how a group comes to gether to achieve a goal - say, saving the world from the ultimate evil. The bonding, how they become friends etc. - that's something only a story gives me. Or, like in RDR 2, the opposite - how a group falls apart. It's the same reason why I like slice-of-life Anime. It's not about single characters for me - it's about the group.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2021 at 0:04 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I loved Donkey Kong Country 2, but I personally felt Donkey Kong Country was still the most memorable. Without that game, Donkey Kong wouldn't have achieved the success and sales he has accumulated thru the years and decades. You have to wonder if there would of been a 'Metroidvania' genre without Super Metroid. There is Castlevania, which may be a close second. But a number of games in that series aren't Metroidvanias. Super Metroid spawned and perfected the 'Metroidvania' genre. Every 'Metroidvania' game in existence has taken elements from Metroid and Super Metroid, hence is why it is titled as such.

As someone who didn't grow up with Castlevania or Metroid, I do wonder how much I actually enjoy the Metroidvania format. I'm not a big fan of backtracking in video games. If anything, I kinda hate the idea that a game actively forces me to come back to an area after I've unlocked a new ability or power that I likely didn't know existed. It destroys exploration and puzzle-solving for me because I'd rather rush through the game to unlock everything than make mental notes of areas I'll have to revisit. I didn't like Axiom Verge and, while I love the aesthetics of Hollow Knight enough for that little dude to still be my avatar, I didn't really like the Metroidvania aspect of Hollow Knight. I liked the graphics. I liked the world. I liked the combat, for the most part. I just don't like having to retrace my footsteps every time I gain a new ability to see what I missed, and I never know if an area is actually locked off until I gain a new ability or if there's some way to reach it now with the skills I have.

On 7/28/2021 at 0:04 AM, AJ_Radio said:

Compared to other 3-D platformers, Super Mario 64 holds up remarkably well. If I ever decide to get a Switch, Super Mario 3D All Stars will probably be the first title I will buy for it.

See, I liked SM64 when it came out, but I thought it was greatly surpassed by the Super Mario Galaxy games. I can recognize its importance to the 3D platforming genre, but to me, it's very much like how Goldeneye revolutionized first-person shooters and then quickly became outclassed. At least SM64 has a catchy soundtrack, though.

I just don't think the N64 has held up as well as some of the other older consoles, despite it arguably having the most fond memories for me.

10 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

What I enjoy most in RPGs - and what is probably the biggest trope in story-telling - is how a group comes to gether to achieve a goal - say, saving the world from the ultimate evil. The bonding, how they become friends etc. - that's something only a story gives me. Or, like in RDR 2, the opposite - how a group falls apart. It's the same reason why I like slice-of-life Anime. It's not about single characters for me - it's about the group.

That's why I loved Persona 5. Story-driven games can be great. I don't mean to knock them because they're probably not even a genre, but there's a reason why there was so much overlap there between my top five. I think I just prefer open world sandbox games that let you create your own story. It's not always what I'm in the mood for, but I think it's been a consistency for most of my life.

Maybe I'll do a tier list about my favorite stories in video games. I'm open to suggestions. I just wanted to test the waters a little bit by talking about a few of my favorite things. It's not like I'm dropping a platinum every week, ya know?

Platinum #264 - Ys: Memories of Celceta

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/7fade4/trophies/1L5f9f9b.png

I don't know how drunk I was the night I started this game. Not only was I drunk enough to consider playing another Ys game, but I played the WRONG GAME. This was supposed to be Ys VIII, which I thought it was because I don't understand all these stupid subtitles. But before I could catch my mistake, a trophy popped (literally for starting a new game), and then the two trophy rule kicked in and...well, 70 hours later, here's a plat I didn't even mean to go for.

I don't have much to say about the story, other than it was impressive how many clichés they could fit into a single storyline.

The characters are passable. You play as...wait, I have to look it up. Adol. You have the personality of a toaster. The silent protagonist schtick worked in Super Mario RPG because of how Mario would hilariously act out what he wanted to say, but I've never liked it in most games. It just comes across as awkward, especially when you're given dialogue options that your character can speak. Your best friend in this game is a behemoth named Duran. He has the personality of a kitchen sink. I think they wanted to do a "sneaky rogue" thing with him, but he's eight feet tall and built like a refrigerator. I don't know why I'm making all these kitchen accessory analogies. Nobody's going to use Duran anyway because this is an anime game. Now, Karna...oh, look, your eyes lit up. Karna was OK. She probably has the most interesting plotline because she's searching for her brother and also she ties you up. I just kinda hate her because she didn't let me go back in my original playthrough to talk to an NPC that I needed to for a trophy, so I was forced to wait until NG+. Then there's Ozma. Orca? Oscar? Something like that. Pretty sure he ties you up too. Basically, everybody hates you in this game and you don't know why because you lost your memories. (That's not a spoiler. That's the plot and it's literally in the title. You're trying to recover the memories of Celceta, whatever that is. Probably the game I meant to play.) Osmo is a cool dude. I used him for most of my first playthrough, but there's a trophy for playing as each character for six hours, so you eventually have to play as Duran. Then there's...this girl...with pink hair... Calico...maybe. Celeste. Cordelia. Candice? Dammit, where's that walkthrough...

Calilica. That's not even a name. OK, she's like 12 years old from what I understand, but she makes fun of Duran, so she's okay in my book. For some reason, she uses a giant mace, which reminds me. Every character does either slashing, piercing, or...some other type of damage, and most enemies seem to be weak or strong against one of those types, so the game expects you to use a balanced team of fighters and cycle through them as the situation demands it. You won't do that because Karna has the best attack, but the nice thing is that there are six playable characters (you can have three active at any time) and only three types of damage, so it's not like you're forced to play someone you don't like. The last character is Frieda, which is the closest thing we've gotten to a real name so far, but the plot has gone off the rails by the time she joins the party. In the Vita version of the game, Frieda isn't even on the cover (and is replaced by a fairly minor character in the game), which makes me think no one cares about her. A shame too since she's the only one who didn't get on my nerves.

Combat in this game is OK. Unlike Ys: Origins, you can dodge. You even get one of those cool Matrix-style slowdowns when you time it right. Characters have skills that you can use with SP, which regenerates in battle, similar to Origins. You're probably going to be spamming those the whole game. It's a bit annoying because each character has like 10 of them and you need to max everything for a trophy, but there are accessories you can equip that speed up the process.

The game isn't particularly hard. You have to do two playthroughs and, for some reason, they thought you should be given more gold if you play on Easy, so the proper way to play is the first playthrough on Easy and the second on Nightmare (once you're sufficiently leveled up and have the best equipment). Then you drop it back down to Easy for the joke Boss Rush. The only real annoying stuff is missable quests, quests you can fail, and this really dumb trophy for "uncovering" 100% of the map. You need to hug the wall the entire game to make sure you get that. I think it's a little generous, but you pretty much need to fill out all the blurry areas in the overworld. There's also a dumb trophy for opening every chest. I missed one in my first playthrough. Do you think the game lets you know where it is? Of course not. So, I did it all over again in NG+. I had a checklist of how many chests were in each dungeon and then I run around in the overworld with a collectibles map to ensure I got all those chests too.

Oh, there's ANOTHER dumb trophy for harvesting all the resource points in the game. Other people had trouble with this one. I didn't. If there's one positive thing I can say about this game, it's that I love how the other characters on your team will harvest stuff for you. If you get near a resource, they'll just run up to it and start hacking away. Not sure if that counts for the trophy, but I like it when a game throws me a bone. I get joy out of a game doing the boring parts for me. It was also fun to equip the relic that spits out gold every few seconds and let your AI companions chase after it for hours on end.

I guess it's an OK game. I'd recommend it over Ys: Origins (a game you might never get a review for because none of the remaining trophies are something I want to go for). It didn't make me want to not play Ys VIII, but I don't understand why you'd play this series when Dragon Quest is a thing.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

As someone who didn't grow up with Castlevania or Metroid, I do wonder how much I actually enjoy the Metroidvania format. I'm not a big fan of backtracking in video games. If anything, I kinda hate the idea that a game actively forces me to come back to an area after I've unlocked a new ability or power that I likely didn't know existed. It destroys exploration and puzzle-solving for me because I'd rather rush through the game to unlock everything than make mental notes of areas I'll have to revisit. I didn't like Axiom Verge and, while I love the aesthetics of Hollow Knight enough for that little dude to still be my avatar, I didn't really like the Metroidvania aspect of Hollow Knight. I liked the graphics. I liked the world. I liked the combat, for the most part. I just don't like having to retrace my footsteps every time I gain a new ability to see what I missed, and I never know if an area is actually locked off until I gain a new ability or if there's some way to reach it now with the skills I have.

I think Shovel Knight could be classified somewhat as a Metroidvania. It's basically Mega Man, Super Mario Bros 3 and Castlevania in one, but there are Metroid elements because you can replay the same levels countless times to get all the collectibles. Not a true Metroidvania, just a platformer that takes some elements from the genre.

5 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

See, I liked SM64 when it came out, but I thought it was greatly surpassed by the Super Mario Galaxy games. I can recognize its importance to the 3D platforming genre, but to me, it's very much like how Goldeneye revolutionized first-person shooters and then quickly became outclassed. At least SM64 has a catchy soundtrack, though.

I just don't think the N64 has held up as well as some of the other older consoles, despite it arguably having the most fond memories for me.

The thing was back then, the late 1990s was smack dab the Tech Boom era. Japan had their economic boom I believe a decade later before the United States did. It was a weird time, so much was changing at a very fast pace. It was absolutely crazy for kids to experience the old Star Fox on the Super Nintendo, then see Star Fox 64 just a few years later on the Nintendo 64, in true 3-D fashion. Star Fox 64 is easily one of my favorite Nintendo games of all time. But nothing will dethrone The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I know I know, everything lists that as #1, but it was so phenomenal.

First person shooters in contrast didn't age all that well. Goldeneye has clunky, slow controls, but that was the best you got on a console. Shooters aren't your thing though as you mentioned that multiple times. I beat all the levels in Goldeneye 007 on the hardest difficulty. It was tough, you literally had to be on your A game.

Super Mario Galaxy was awesome, even if I didn't like the Wii. Thankfully it's a part of that 3-D All Stars bundle. I definitely wouldn't mind replaying it on the Switch.

11 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #264 - Ys: Memories of Celceta

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/7fade4/trophies/1L5f9f9b.png

I don't know how drunk I was the night I started this game. Not only was I drunk enough to consider playing another Ys game, but I played the WRONG GAME. This was supposed to be Ys VIII, which I thought it was because I don't understand all these stupid subtitles. But before I could catch my mistake, a trophy popped (literally for starting a new game), and then the two trophy rule kicked in and...well, 70 hours later, here's a plat I didn't even mean to go for.

Ouch. I would hate to force myself to play 70 hours for a game I didn't care about, or wasn't aiming to finish. Good job on the platinum. I always love reading your reviews. They are well thought out and informative.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Ouch. I would hate to force myself to play 70 hours for a game I didn't care about, or wasn't aiming to finish. Good job on the platinum. I always love reading your reviews. They are well thought out and informative.

Eh, I was always going to play Ys: MoC. I just didn't realize it was the wrong game when I put the disc in.

I see you're playing Duke Nukem Forever. Is it as bad as everybody says? That's another series I never got into.

22 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Eh, I was always going to play Ys: MoC. I just didn't realize it was the wrong game when I put the disc in.

I see you're playing Duke Nukem Forever. Is it as bad as everybody says? That's another series I never got into.

Well I can definitely say it's not as terrible as people make it out to be, but it isn't a good game. A lot of annoying platformer bits, game looks incredibly dated, and it's very boring if you're not a Duke Nukem fan. I personally wouldn't bother with it. You could however, play Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour which is on the PS4. It's a bit too much on the easy side because the cheats don't disable the trophies, though if you don't mind that I'd give it a go. It's a good taste of what old school first person shooters were back in the day.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, Cassylvania said:

What a cop-out answer and a cop-out genre. What isn't an RPG?

Yeah, more genres are stealing RPG's shtitck of gaining power through levels and EXP. They need to stop that. Spyro did fine with 99 lives instead of giving Spyro powers after killing a bunch of enemies. ;)

• Like 1

Love the Ys review.

Too bad you didn’t enjoy it that much. The whole uncover the map and all harvest points and treasure chests trophies were so annoying. I’ve run through that entire map multiple times. 

From the bright side. You have now played through the two ‘worst’ Ys games. I still enjoyed them a lot, but Ys VIII & IX are definitely the better ones.

Have you given up on Ys Origin?

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, Cassylvania said:

I guess it's sorta like when you get sick of trophy hunting and play a Nintendo game, where you suddenly have the freedom to play as little or as much as you want, without the worry of using a guide or carefully checking items off a list so you don't miss anything important.

I sort of agree with, Cass. Nintendo was smart not to have a network for achievements because they knew people wouldn't buy their games if they had to risk having a bunch of incomplete lists on their profile. Take me, I can't ever play Vita games anymore because I stupidly earned two trophies on Witchcrafty and ended up loathing the game. If I let them sync, then that game will be there, mocking me for not completing it, forever. And I can't go into the Trophy section as the Vita auto-syncs any trophies you earn. So I format my Vita to erase my account from it.... but now I can't log back on because otherwise those two trophies might auto-sync. I can't risk it! Threw away my Vita, will never buy another because I can't play Vita on my account as those trophies... ?

But I can play Splatoon 2 on my Switch, delete it if I hate it(I did, I am bad at third-person shooters) and never have to remember it because I don't have stupid trophies on my Nintendo account. :)

So yeah, trophy hunting is a bane... but when you get that sweet platinum you've worked a year for, like I will when that FFXIV plat pops, it's the coolest thing ever. But if I want to just play a game, I'll go onto Wizard101 or Pokemon.

EDIT: I didn't know that Dragon Quest Builders games were considering Farming Sims. More like Building Sims.

Edited by winter_bird_22

3 hours ago, Baker said:

Have you given up on Ys Origin?

Ugh, I dunno. I feel like if I had just one trophy left, I'd go for it, but I don't want to grind to level 60, I don't want to beat the game three (?) more times, and I really don't want to deal with Boss Rush if it's going to randomly crash all the time. I hate to say it, but with 100% no longer being possible on my account, I'm more willing to accept skipping trophies that just don't seem fun.

I will always have more games to play than time to play them.

1 hour ago, winter_bird_22 said:

EDIT: I didn't know that Dragon Quest Builders games were considering Farming Sims. More like Building Sims.

I guess it has farming elements. Minecraft does too, but I think most people would consider that a building sim or a survival game. If there's one thing I've learned from trying to manage the OP, it's that it's hard to put each game into a single category. I don't know where you draw the line between, say, a building sim and a farming sim or an action platformer and a Metroidvania. I don't even know what to do with survival games. Is Resident Evil a survival game? The Escapists? Firewatch? Yomawari?

For me, my list was intended to give you an idea of what aspects of a game I enjoy playing the most, rather than trying to cite particular examples. To that end, I do think I'd put survival first and farming second, but it's hard to argue with the fact that I did notice the number of games I actually enjoy from that genre decrease as you move higher up on the list. I can name a ton of RPGs and platformers I like, quite a few strategy games, and only a few farming and survival. They're more niche, though, and I think I'm more critical of the ones I do play. I'd probably reverse the order if I were to rank my favorite games or do the whole, "If you were on a deserted island and could only play one genre of game, what would it be?"

Wait. I'd be living my dream scenario.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Ugh, I dunno. I feel like if I had just one trophy left, I'd go for it, but I don't want to grind to level 60, I don't want to beat the game three (?) more times, and I really don't want to deal with Boss Rush if it's going to randomly crash all the time. I hate to say it, but with 100% no longer being possible on my account, I'm more willing to accept skipping trophies that just don't seem fun.

I will always have more games to play than time to play them.

Yeah I understand. Looking at your list you have at least another 50 hours to play for the platinum. I guess that’s why I also skipped it for so long. I know if I put a lot of time and effort into it, I can finish Boss Rush. I’d rather play something else though..

On 30.7.2021 at 5:15 PM, winter_bird_22 said:

Yeah, more genres are stealing RPG's shtitck of gaining power through levels and EXP. They need to stop that. Spyro did fine with 99 lives instead of giving Spyro powers after killing a bunch of enemies. ;)

Games absolutely do not need to stop doing that. Some of the most innovative games in the past years have included RPG elements in genres completely unrelated to RPGs. If anything, the "lives-system" is completely outdated and obsolete at this point. 

On 30.7.2021 at 11:14 PM, Cassylvania said:

Completely understandable. BUT... Those DLC trophies not being obtainable is out of your control. What happens with your account going forward still is. You can still choose to get everything that IS obtainable, as you have been doing all these years, or you can capitulate and stop being a completionist (or, you know.. something in-between.. I'm obviously pointing out extremes here ?)

I'd still love to see your profile be as complete as possible eventually :) But you don't need to care about what I or anyone here thinks of course. Fun should always come first! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Games absolutely do not need to stop doing that. Some of the most innovative games in the past years have included RPG elements in genres completely unrelated to RPGs. If anything, the "lives-system" is completely outdated and obsolete at this point. 

You do realize that Spyro dates back to the late 1990s. The Spyro Re-Ignited Trilogy is a remake of the old trilogy, Spyro himself once being a mascot for Sony before Insomniac switched over to Ratchet & Clank. They tried to make the new trilogy as authentic as they could, because they were appealing to a new generation of gamers while trying to bring back the old veterans who grew up on Spyro.

The “lives-system” died when the 1990s ended. More modern games that have incorporated any such systems are generally retro styled and are there mostly for nostalgia. 

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Completely understandable. BUT... Those DLC trophies not being obtainable is out of your control. What happens with your account going forward still is. You can still choose to get everything that IS obtainable, as you have been doing all these years, or you can capitulate and stop being a completionist (or, you know.. something in-between.. I'm obviously pointing out extremes here 1f605.png)

I'd still love to see your profile be as complete as possible eventually :) But you don't need to care about what I or anyone here thinks of course. Fun should always come first! 

Cassylvania started around the same time I did, so this statement basically applies to me as well. I have to tip my hat to her. She is older than I am and yet sports a very impressive trophy profile with close to 100 percent completion. 

Her average trophy rarity is under 41 percent. Her trophies per day is pretty impressive considering all the niche games she puts on her list that take a long while to complete. Barely any stacks of any at all. 

I’ve scraped by with a bunch of trophy whore games, a bunch of stacks, and bought a few games for the sake of easy trophies. 

Your own profile @Arcesius is impressive as well considering the fact you are now a father. A lot of people quit gaming when they have kids, but I’m glad to see you haven’t given up on the hobby you love. 

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

You know, you preach Gospel, AJ_Radio. My fun should always top priority when I choose to play a game, which is why the EZPZ I chose for the most part are games that have deep stories(like the Artifex Mundi titles, I never skip the dialogue the first time through, the voice acting is spot on) or something I feel would work well in the industry for younger games(like the POWGI games - they are word puzzles but I am sure some old goat out who used to do crosswords when he was younger to pass the day away is playing these games because he had to cancel his newspaper route due to being no longer able to keep a pencil in his hand but comfortable gripping a PS4 controller).

But I am challenging myself. I just doing a "Platinum Rain" challenge where I get all-but-one in nine JRPG trophy lists. I just got all-but-one in FFVII(saving the trophy for getting a high score in the motorbike video game for last since the platinum wouldn't have a screenshot if I did it normally due to the PS4 blocking the end movie) and will head to Dark Cloud 2 in the future. Then FFVIII, Dragon Quest XI S, FFXII The Zodiac Age...

Your own profile @Arcesius is impressive as well considering the fact you are now a father. A lot of people quit gaming when they have kids, but I’m glad to see you haven’t given up on the hobby you love. 

Arcesius would love to chat with my gym trainer. He just accidentally got his (third) girlfriend pregnant and now is the dad of a bouncing baby girl who he has to share baby duties with. Having two baby nieces, I know how hard that is, but he puts his time in regardless, he just finished Persona 5 Strikers. ;)

Kudos to you, Arcesius. You are a trooper.

Edited by winter_bird_22

9 minutes ago, winter_bird_22 said:

You know, you preach Gospel, AJ_Radio. My fun should always top priority when I choose to play a game, which is why the EZPZ I chose for the most part are games that have deep stories(like the Artifex Mundi titles, I never skip the dialogue the first time through, the voice acting is spot on)...

I have one Artifex Mundi title. Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink. After playing thru that slog, I decided that Artifex Mundi games are not for me.

7 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Completely understandable. BUT... Those DLC trophies not being obtainable is out of your control. What happens with your account going forward still is. You can still choose to get everything that IS obtainable, as you have been doing all these years, or you can capitulate and stop being a completionist (or, you know.. something in-between.. I'm obviously pointing out extremes here 1f605.png)

One could argue that if the game crashes every time I try to go for a trophy, that's also out of my control... (Loophole!)

But you guys know I'm just pulling your leg. I fully intend to finish that game and any other game I begin. Only Ajna gets off easy, and that's just because she's so adorable.

Speaking of adorable, I always forget how charming A Hat in Time is. I just wish the controls were a little less floaty. Up to 72 Death Wish stamps now. Not sure how I would've gotten this far without Peace and Tranquility mode..

Her average trophy rarity is under 41 percent. Her trophies per day is pretty impressive considering all the niche games she puts on her list that take a long while to complete. Barely any stacks of any at all.

I think my only "stack" is Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, but they're different editions of the game and have completely unique trophy lists. At some point, I might play Dark Souls I and II on PS3, just so I can "complete" the series. I'd do something fun to spice it up, though, like a low level platinum run. Not level 1 because that would be unnecessarily hard and boring, but the lowest level I could be to use all the gear I want and still be successful. If I had a Vita, I'd platinum XCOM: EU Plus to complete that series.

The “lives-system” died when the 1990s ended. More modern games that have incorporated any such systems are generally retro styled and are there mostly for nostalgia.

I don't miss timers in video games either. I know they're still used in speedrunning and sections of games where speed is important, but one of the things I didn't like even in the original Super Mario Bros. was that stupid clock in the corner of the screen, no matter how generous it was. I just wanted to take my time and enjoy the world. The life system was annoying for the same reason. I think a big part of it was to artificially extend the life of that video game, because kids would quickly see how short a lot of NES titles were if they had unlimited lives and a more convenient checkpoint system.

9 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I have one Artifex Mundi title. Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink. After playing thru that slog, I decided that Artifex Mundi games are not for me.

I liked Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek. Made for a good Halloween game a few years back. I'm not paying $15 for the sequel, but if I could get 2 and 3 as a bundle on sale, I'd consider it.

I dunno about POWGI. I didn't even like the crosswords in P5R. I hate Sudoku. I'm not even sure I liked the Pic-a-Pix games I played. I think the first one was good for a laugh, but it was mostly because the art looked nothing like what it was supposed to. It wasn't as funny when it was in black and white because that made it seem like the lack of color was at fault.

I almost put puzzle games in my top 5 list, but I think I prefer them when they're combined with other genres. And then I hate them when they show up because I'd rather just be playing the game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cassylvania said:

I think my only "stack" is Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, but they're different editions of the game and have completely unique trophy lists. At some point, I might play Dark Souls I and II on PS3, just so I can "complete" the series. I'd do something fun to spice it up, though, like a low level platinum run. Not level 1 because that would be unnecessarily hard and boring, but the lowest level I could be to use all the gear I want and still be successful. If I had a Vita, I'd platinum XCOM: EU Plus to complete that series.

It's always impressive to see someone pull off a SL 1 run, like what @Copanele does. But I ain't about that. I'm usually a coward, I overlevel to the point where a lot of enemies become trivial, with only the bosses posing any threat.

It took me over 80 hours to platinum Dark Souls 1. Still a masterpiece, the atmosphere and backgrounds are unparalleled. From Software is a true artistic genius.

Which reminds me, I need to get to Shantae. I've put that series off for far too long.

3 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't miss timers in video games either. I know they're still used in speedrunning and sections of games where speed is important, but one of the things I didn't like even in the original Super Mario Bros. was that stupid clock in the corner of the screen, no matter how generous it was. I just wanted to take my time and enjoy the world. The life system was annoying for the same reason. I think a big part of it was to artificially extend the life of that video game, because kids would quickly see how short a lot of NES titles were if they had unlimited lives and a more convenient checkpoint system.

I save scummed the shit out of Axiom Verge. Love the game and all, but speedrunning with a timer shown on the screen gives me a whole layer of stress that is otherwise completely gone when I'm doing a normal playthrough.

Shovel Knight was stressful for me because of the same reason. I have to do three more speedruns if I want all the trophies. Ugh.