Cassylvania

Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

3,364 posts in this topic

On 18.2.2022 at 5:11 PM, Cassylvania said:

Did you think me dead? I only got bitten by the Genshin bug.

I have been playing Pathfinder:Kingmaker since December, so I can relate (time-wise).

Posted (edited)

On 3/1/2022 at 7:28 PM, Cassylvania said:

That's the only reason this trophy could exist because I refuse to believe an individual would think that a person would reasonably break their tools ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY TIMES during a normal playthrough.

I think that janitor also works at Square-Enix and Yoshida accidently left his sushi out for a week because the guy hacked into the computer, took the most boring grind-worthy achievements, and made them trophies. Looking at you, you f'king [email protected]@holes known as Livin' Off the Land IV, Made to Order IV, and D'N DESTINY'S CHILD!!! (Still only at 1644/3000 FATEs.) 😫

EDIT: This is future me, who finally got the trophies above. I had to do things that you'd never do for relic weapons, like grinding FATEs for light farming, which is the worst way to do is as it only gives feeble light, but this was the ONLY way I was going to get 250 FATEs a pop. :( I am never platinuming FFXIV again, at least the PS5 version, and forget 100% trophies as I don't do Savage Raiding. :|

(I am working on the PS4 list which is easier to do because you can plan out the grinds. I'm grinding out levequests and Kess should have 1000 leves cleared under her belt by the time 6.2 rolls around and forces her into another asinine relic weapon quest. (She just got all ten of the Realm Reborn Zodiac Brave weapons, and I could have bought a used copy of Pokemon Heart Gold[which goes for $200], Pokemon Black[which is now $100] and Pokemon Sun[which is now $70] for the price it cost to get level skips for all those Allagan platinum pieces to fund the FIVE MILLION GIL I needed for the four quests of the penultimate step. X()

Edited by winter_bird_22
Future Me Speaks

Posted (edited)

Platinum #299 - Going Under

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/e8e6d7/trophies/1L463b27.png

It's no secret by now that @realm722 and I share a similar gaming history. I'm not sure how much of this is coincidental and how much of it is us copying each other, but this is definitely an example of the latter. I only played this game because I saw his review a few months ago and I was looking for something similar to Undermine. This looked perfect, with a much lower time investment.

Going Under is a rogue-whatever where you beat the shit out of your co-workers with random objects strewn about the room. It's basically an intern's wet dream. OK, it's a little more than that, but the plot is batshit insane anyway. All you need to know is you just started interning at a company called Fizzle Beverages, there are monsters in the basement, and your boss has tasked you with killing them. That's what I like about video games. None of this has to make any sense.

As with most rogue-likes I've played, the game takes place in a central hub area, where you can hang out with your co-workers (the ones who aren't actively trying to kill you). They give you side quests and can also serve as "mentors," which we'll talk about in a bit. From the hub, you can access any of the three "worlds" in the game. Each of these worlds is themed around something you might expect from a corporate environment: an office, an underground mine centered around cryptocurrency, and an S&M dungeon. Now, that might not sound like many, but you'll be playing through these worlds a lot. Each world has three floors, which are randomly-generated (both in terms of the layout and enemy configuration), and a boss. There are also "hard" of each, which you'll unlock about halfway through the game.

Combat is fast-paced. As soon as you enter a room, enemies will start attacking. You can pick up most objects in the room and either hit the enemies with it or throw it at them. Both have their merits. In most games, I prefer ranged attacks because they feel safer, but throwing an object in this game means you may be leaving yourself defenseless. It also doesn't deal considerably more damage. You can only hold three objects at a time, but you can carry them into other rooms and even into the boss fight. Because weapons break pretty easily, that means you may find it worthwhile to save the better weapons for more powerful enemies.

What weapons are good? Well, I'm partial to spears because they allow you to attack from a distance, but the weapons you swing in an arc (e.g. mace or club) are probably better because it's very easy to get surrounded by enemies. The rooms you fight in are generally pretty small and it's very easy to go from full health to low health in a matter of seconds due to the short invincibility frames you get after being hit. Most other weapons are things you'd typically find in an office (e.g. pencil, wastebasket), mine (e.g. pickaxe, rock), or S&M dungeon (e.g. body pillow, eggplant -- aka best weapon in the game). More than likely, you'll only have to go through each world a few times before you know what weapons you like and which are best used as throwing fodder.

"Skills" are what make each run unique. You can think of these like the relics in Undermine -- they give you some advantage, whether in combat or by some other means. For example, She Don't Miss causes your throws to become homing attacks. Very useful. Others can recruit enemies to fight for you (broken), allow you to earn more money during your run, or swing two-handed weapons with one hand. Once you've unlocked a few of these, you'll start to see ways you can combine two or more skills to become really powerful. Since you're often forced to choose between two skills, you'll want to keep an eye out for good synergies. One of my favorite skills was Thick Skin, which causes ALL projectiles to bounce right off you. This renders several enemies and a few boss attacks completely harmless against you.

Once you use a skill enough, it becomes "endorsed," which allows you to equip it automatically before you start a run. You can only do this with one skill at a time, though.

Mentors also give you bonuses. The more side quests you've done for that character, the more bonuses you get. I didn't experiment too much with these. Swomp is the best mentor as far as I'm concerned because he will steal a random item for you from the shop. Considering you find at least one shop per floor, that means you're getting at least three items every run.

Finally, you have the DLC. The DLC is essentially a hard mode for the already existing hard mode. You have to play through all three dungeons at once (bosses include), and then fight a final boss, with no auto-save or save scumming allowed. This gauntlet can take up to a half an hour. After you do it once, you have to do it seven more times, with each run adding an additional challenge, such as taking double damage during boss fights or starting every dungeon cursed. (I didn't talk about curses, but they're the opposite of skills. Basically, they make combat more difficult for the player. These are not very well-balanced, though, but at least they only last for a few rooms.)

I do want to say I encountered several glitches while playing through this. Most were harmless, but I had three that impacted my game. First, the game froze on me during a loading screen, which happens between floors. I think this only happened once. Second, I got the worst curse in the game (the one that makes you place in first-person mode -- trust me, it sucks), but the true curse happened when the camera started spazzing out instead of going back into third-person mode. I was really far into my DLC run and suddenly I couldn't see anything. Fortunately, the UI wasn't affected, so I was able to navigate myself through the floor using the mini-map, spammed attack and dodge to kill all the enemies in my way, and somehow made it to the next floor with only getting hit once. The camera fixed itself after that. Can't remember if I won that run or not, but I should've just from that legendary performance.

The third glitch was my favorite. This is the trophy you get for beating the DLC boss for the final time. (I don't think this is a spoiler or anything...)

4bZtt8q.jpg

As you can see, I clearly lost. We were both at low HP. I had the skill that allows you to revive with 1 heart if you're knocked out. What I think happened is that she hit me with a spinning attack, which killed me, but I instantly revived inside her, which caused both of us to clip out of reality and explode. I say this because the game shows your damage on the screen and I remember seeing the number "60" flash twice very briefly before that screen popped up, which is more damage than I've ever seen in this game. I'm pretty sure I broke it.

I can't tell you how happy I am for this glitch. It's not to say that I don't think I could've beat her legitimately (it was my third time getting to her and second getting her to low health), but I really wasn't looking forward to doing another run. There's just too much RNG in the DLC for it to me fun for me. You can see some of the skills I used there, but one of the challenges on the higher difficulties is that you take damage every time you pick up a skill, so you have to be selective. The other annoying thing is that the order you do the dungeons in is random. The boss for the mine is significantly more annoying than the other two (one who be cheesed with the tablet pen and the other who becomes a pushover if you have Thick Skin and Disaster-Proof). I'm not even sure he's programmed correctly. He loves summoning minions repeatedly. You can use the minecarts to hurt him, but sometimes they break right away and sometimes they clip through him and take off half his HP. It's really weird.

The other thing I didn't really care for is the art style. You can see it up there. It's colorful and bubbly, which I know is supposed to mimic Corporate Memphis, but there's a reason that term is used so disparagingly. I feel like they could've done something more unique with it.

Anyway, these are minor gripes. The game is good. I recommend it. There's actually an Assist Mode, which I suggest playing with, because you'll definitely need it for the DLC. I can't imagine trying to do it without that...

Edited by Cassylvania

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

It's no secret by now that @realm722 and I share a similar gaming history. I'm not sure how much of this is coincidental and how much of it is us copying each other, but this is definitely an example of the latter. I only played this game because I saw his review a few months ago and I was looking for something similar to Undermine. This looked perfect, with a much lower time investment.

I was super hyped when I saw you playing this a few weeks back after checking in on your profile and am glad it motivated you to check it out!

pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

(this was me when you prematurely posted the review and it was just one line of edit)

I'm glad you enjoyed the game! I think it's fair to say you didn't end up loving it as much as I did but I was quite partial to loving the art style. Did you enjoy the humor? I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the brief dialogue you'd have with your co-workers in between runs. It wasn't subtle but not unbearably preachy either. I am 1000% in agreement with you on a number of the points you made. 1) Eggplant is excellent - but my 2nd fave weapon in that dungeon. While more plentiful, double hockey sticks were an auto-win once I got comfortable with it. I had Jackie out here looking like prime Mario Lemieux dusting the sexually harassing critters. 2) The Thick Skin skill is magnificent. A LIFESAVER on the later DLC runs and in my Top 2 favorite skills alongside "Free Hand". 3) It is inexplicable how much harder Hustlebones is than the other two bosses. I don't know if that's some elaborate metaphor by the devs about how pervasive crypto bros are but he was always the boss I reloaded until I got him on my first level run once I was nearing the final levels of the challenges. 

One thing I will say where we differ greatly is I used Assist Mode from the very jump as it didn't affect trophies. This made the base game largely an "easy" mode for me whereas when jumping to DLC, the challenge ramped up even with the added help. I personally loved the added challenge that forced me to really master the mechanics I had been casually cruising through for the first 10 hours or so of my play-time. I 100% get what you mean by potentially too RNG-based. I wrote down in my review it took me 17 runs to achieve the 8 victories. The roughest "Overtime" being the 6th as you started getting punished for taking more skills. I still think on the whole it was a fantastic edition (though the annoying collectibles for the "Rolodex" I could have done without). I don't remember any major bugs standing out either. That "1st person" mode curse is nightmare fuel tho lol

Thanks for playing it and as a courtesy I've officially bumped Shadow Tactics up my backlog rankings to hopefully get played before the end of Spring 😄

Posted (edited)

On 3/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, Cassylvania said:

Finally, you have the DLC. The DLC is essentially a hard mode for the already existing hard mode. You have to play through all three dungeons at once (bosses include), and then fight a final boss, with no auto-save or save scumming allowed. This gauntlet can take up to a half an hour. After you do it once, you have to do it seven more times, with each run adding an additional challenge, such as taking double damage during boss fights or starting every dungeon cursed. (I didn't talk about curses, but they're the opposite of skills. Basically, they make combat more difficult for the player. These are not very well-balanced, though, but at least they only last for a few rooms.)

Yes, the Going Under DLC. What a mess. I tried doing those without assist mode and it ended up being what broke me and made me more or less give up on the last backlog challenge I was in. The game clearly wasn't balanced for the DLC modifiers and it shows, terribly. Still, the base game was damn fun and the game has potential. Unfortunately the devs abandoned their plans for future updates due to the games' poor sales, but iirc more dungeons were planned initially.

I do appreciate the addition of a traditional roguelike experience, at least - I was never too fond of the mini-dungeons conceptually. I have a similar issue with Ziggurat 2.

On 3/15/2022 at 4:20 PM, Cassylvania said:

I thought the humor was fine. Honestly, I think I came across too negative in that review. I really need to stop writing these reviews the moment I finish grinding out the last, super annoying trophy...

I have this problem too. With a lot of games that I actually quite like, I end up writing paragraphs upon paragraphs about my gripes with them, while not giving nearly as much attention to the parts I do like. I suppose it's easier to write a few paragraphs about a frustrating game flaw than stretch "yeah, the gameplay is pretty solid, combat is good" to a similar length. I think at some point games being good stops impressing you and you just take it for granted; you're not going to describe every 8/10 game you encounter with the wide eyed wonder of someone playing a video game for the first time.

Edited by Darling Baphomet

Team Sonic Racing is just slightly above mediocre. It's a Sonic game. Sonic games haven't been fantastic in roughly 20 years now.

This is honestly a poor man's Mario Kart. I don't have a Nintendo Switch myself, but I have played the later Mario Kart games with friends and they are basically much more polished and enjoyable. At least there's the challenges. The ring challenges aren't easy and they actually challenge you to collect most of them in time while drifting and speeding around sharp corners.

The Survival mode races were poorly implemented. Even in the first area in Adventure Mode, I found myself in first while my AI teammates were dead last. That meant they were going to be eliminated by the second lap of the race. And there's an objective to win this race without any of your team racers getting eliminated. It's stupid and it falls entirely to RNG.

Rubberbanding is much more an issue on higher difficulties, while the so called Normal difficulty feels more like Easy difficulty since I generally reach first place halfway thru the first lap in the race. Not the most balanced racing game, even though I think modern games try too hard to balance everything.

The story and voice acting were always crap. Knuckles sounds like a try hard surfer dude from southern California who is trying to fit in with current trends. Sonic of course is a cool dude, who isn't all too cool anymore as voice acting is basically on par with old 90s and early 2000s games before game companies started hiring professional talent for their characters.

On 4/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, AJ_Radio said:

Team Sonic Racing is just slightly above mediocre. It's a Sonic game. Sonic games haven't been fantastic in roughly 20 years now.

"Slightly above mediocre" about sums it up. I remember not really liking it while I was playing it, but when I went to write my review, I realized there wasn't a lot to criticize. It's playable, which is the least I can ask for.

Anyway, I haven't posted in a while because I've been busy trying to finish this...

Platinum #302 - Tales of Arise

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/60e152/trophies/1L165189.png

This was my first Tales game. I don't know where most Tales fans would rank it, but there's a good chance it'll be my last. Let's just get into it.

Arise has you playing as Alphen, a mysterious swordsman with (stop me if you've heard this one before) amnesia. That's the boring part to his character. The more interesting part is that he is unable to feel pain. This pairs well with the female lead, Shionne, who literally electrocutes anybody who touches her. This almost led to a decent story because you could imagine that Shionne would naturally be a cold person and that Alphen would be the only one capable of getting close to her, but the writers went WAY too far in that direction and made Shionne the most unlikable character in existence. "Tsundere" is too nice of a term. It doesn't help that Alphen has the personality of sourdough bread.

So, forget the main characters. The side characters are more interesting, which is not a good look on your game. The villains aren't too exciting either. I don't want to give names because saying who joins your team and who you have to fight against goes into spoiler territory, but I will say the story gets progressively worse. Act 1 is tolerable, act 2 is bad, and act 3 was the point where I stopped paying attention, so it may or may not get better. From the bits of dialogue I picked up towards the end, they completely jump the shark.

The combat is standard JRPG fare. It's real time action in a small arena setting, where you control one of four characters. I think you have a shared mana pool and you can somehow build up towards using ultimate attacks, but none of that is necessary if you play on the easiest setting. The best thing I can say about the combat is that you can set it to auto battle, which is not a good look on your game either.

Other than that, what do you have to look forward to? Collectibles, side quests, grinding, and cutscenes every three steps. I'm not trying to be mean, but there is very little to like here. The graphics are nice but the audio might as well not exist because you're going to mute the game the moment you realize every character shouts their attacks, which means you're constantly listening to four people trying to yell over each other. If I wanted that, I'd have dinner with my grandparents.

You can dress up your characters with random accessories and outfits you find, which I guess is a nice touch. I had all my characters walking around in sunglasses and bathing towels. You can also change who you control on the overworld map and in battle, so drop Alphen the moment you get the chance. (I always have this thing against controlling characters who are wearing masks or other facepieces. Is anybody else like that?)

The trophy guide says 60 hours to platinum, but I was damn near 100.

Subquests are marked on your map. That was nice.

Uh... Hootle is cute.

If I had to rate this game, I'd probably give it a 6/10, which might be good enough for most people, but that's the same rating I'd give Team Sonic Racing. Take that for what you will.

I played a couple of Tales games, starting back on PS2 (can't remember which one), and with each, my interest waned more. The only one I liked Tales of Xilia. I don't think I'll try another.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

If I had to rate this game, I'd probably give it a 6/10, which might be good enough for most people, but that's the same rating I'd give Team Sonic Racing. Take that for what you will.

Damn Cassy... this is easily the harshest review I've read of yours in quite some time. One of my biggest fears of picking a brand new lengthy game is discovering I strongly dislike it 5 hours in but with a trophy already popped unless you're someone cool with not even trying to plat every game you're looking at the next 50+ hours of slogging through the experience. Hope you find more enjoyment in that nifty CrossCode I see you started dabbling in 👀

4 hours ago, realm722 said:

Damn Cassy... this is easily the harshest review I've read of yours in quite some time. One of my biggest fears of picking a brand new lengthy game is discovering I strongly dislike it 5 hours in but with a trophy already popped unless you're someone cool with not even trying to plat every game you're looking at the next 50+ hours of slogging through the experience. Hope you find more enjoyment in that nifty CrossCode I see you started dabbling in 1f440.png

This is why I'm glad I don't care too much about completion rate. Having popped a few shameful platinums (looking at you, Pox Nora and Monster Truck Championship) at this point I feel worse having a game I genuinely disliked or was only playing for the platinum on my profile than having a few games dead in the water on my profile.

4 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

This is why I'm glad I don't care too much about completion rate. Having popped a few shameful platinums (looking at you, Pox Nora and Monster Truck Championship) at this point I feel worse having a game I genuinely disliked or was only playing for the platinum on my profile than having a few games dead in the water on my profile.

Dont you dare talk shit on Pox Nora, a masterpiece everyone should play. 😈

Though sometimes I wish I could just say 'F# it' and leave a game uncompleted.

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #302 - Tales of Arise

Ooft - rough one Cassy!

I reckon I liked the game more than you - was my first Tales game too, but I thought the narrative and game were holding together pretty well in the first half - it just kinda collapsed under it's own weight as soon as the full party was assembled, and the story went full bat-shit.

The one thing I did dig all the way through was the look though - might be simply my lack of exposure to some of the bigger JRP franchises (i haven't played a Dragon Quest since the 6-bit days, or an Atilier or Cold Steel game at all, ) - but I really did like the aesthetic and art style in ToA.

Anyways - hope the next game is a better one for you!

This was also my first experience with a Tales game and while not the best JRPG I've ever played I did find it enjoyable enough to probably give the older games ago. Although using words like "enjoyable enough" and "probably" are making me doubt my own opinion as I type.

The first part of story was engaging and slowly went down hill and the final dungeon was just a slog I wanted to be over a couple of hours before it did eventually finish. I do agree on the combat not being that great, I also switched from Alphen however combat did just result in me cycling through the same three artes.

26 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

(I have my PS4 and PS5 hooked up to separate TVs in the same room.)

Just in case someone missed it. ✅

40 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

It's like when they gave that voice to Link in the Zelda cartoon. Some characters are better off being mute.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Seriously though, great write-up. Really high time I pick this one up.

On 1.5.2022 at 9:16 PM, Cassylvania said:

I played most of the game in French.

Voici un ami des grands arts ! Je vous rappellerai de mettre DOOM en français. Cela rendra votre expérience beaucoup plus cultivée !