Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

Well it appears as though I've messed up this playthrough with demon's souls... I didn't realize that you are automatically logged into online play. Like I knew I was online since I could see bloodstains and notes...but I never attempted to play with anyone so I thought I was fine...after beating the old monk, I went back to 3-2 to get the key for Rydell and the bridge wasn't there. A quick Google search let me know the world tendency is shared and I think it will be impossible for me to get the pure white tendency this playthrough ?

The game is super fun though but I was hoping to avoid too much of a second playthrough. Maybe I'll be quicker now that I know where to go.

You on track for 100 this weekend or are you off the podium now?

• Like 1

@Br1ste Is it even possible to plat Demon's Souls in a single playthrough? I thought it required 2.5 playthroughs...unless you have another player drop items for you. I suggest you look into how to increase/decrease world tendency. If I recall correctly, it is possible to go from pure white to pure black (or vice versa) in a single playthrough. Can't even remember how that works in the game, though. It does a terrible job of explaining it. (Like, literally no explanation whatsoever.)

Demon's Souls is a game you can run through in like an hour or two, once you know what you're doing.

I'm going to push for plat 100 this weekend. I just really need to make some progress in this Lego game. I've played it off and on throughout the week and earned exactly zero of the remaining 25 trophies I need.

• Like 2

I am somewhat following the guide on here which says you can do it in just over one playthrough. It's easy to get black world tendency but it seems like limited opportunity to get white. I've been on track for the most part but this little snafu will set me back a few hours at least. I'm not too worried since I at least like the game. It'd be different if it was a game like your chameleon game that you despised. 

Is Lego Star wars hard? I haven't really looked at it. After plat 100, do you have your next goal in mind or are you going to take it easy for a bit? I feel like you are losing a little steam. Your Halloween challenge was pretty aggressive lol I would need a break after that. I know you mentioned completion percentage. Will that be the focus or just the guideline?

• Like 1

@Cassylvania Good luck with the plat for "The Evil Within", man. I'm on the last DLC myself and boiiiiiiii, AKUMU mode was a true goddamn nightmare. I thought people were exaggerating when they said AKUMU mode was what made-or-break'd people trying to plat it, and maybe it's just that I suck eggs at shooters, but holy crap it wasn't an exaggeration at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

I am somewhat following the guide on here which says you can do it in just over one playthrough. It's easy to get black world tendency but it seems like limited opportunity to get white. I've been on track for the most part but this little snafu will set me back a few hours at least. I'm not too worried since I at least like the game. It'd be different if it was a game like your chameleon game that you despised. 

Oh yeah, Demon's Souls was great. If they remastered that, I'd definitely platinum it again. I'm pretty sure it's the first plat I ever earned (on my old account). Either that or Atelier Totori. Those were kinda the two games that got me into trophy hunting.

OK. So I just quickly looked up world tendencies. Every time you kill a boss, your world tendency shifts towards white. What you want to do is kill a boss, suicide in the Nexus, and repeat. (I know it sounds weird, but trust me.) If you still have a few bosses left, you might be able to save yourself from having to do another playthrough. You can also farm the Black Phantoms that you've probably seen hanging about. They're the ones who probably murdered you quite a few times...

21 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Is Lego Star wars hard? I haven't really looked at it. After plat 100, do you have your next goal in mind or are you going to take it easy for a bit? I feel like you are losing a little steam. Your Halloween challenge was pretty aggressive lol I would need a break after that. I know you mentioned completion percentage. Will that be the focus or just the guideline?

The Lego games are all pretty easy. They're just fun to play if you have kids or younger siblings. Kinda like Skylanders, but without all the extra pieces. (Although a couple of the Skylanders games are fairly difficulty platinums because of the bosses...)

After plat 100, yeah, I think I'm going to take it easy for a bit. My top two goals (which are technically the same) are: (1) a higher completion percentage, and (2) less active games. I want to get to the point where I only have one or two unfinished games at any time on my account. Right now, I have seven. We'll work this weekend to knocking that down to four, by completing Lego, RER, and Shantae's new DLC. After that, we'll get back into HZD and Setsuna. Both of those are very wintery games, so I want to complete them before all of the snow melts.

And then... Batman.

16 minutes ago, JoocyMan said:

@Cassylvania Good luck with the plat for "The Evil Within", man. I'm on the last DLC myself and boiiiiiiii, AKUMU mode was a true goddamn nightmare. I thought people were exaggerating when they said AKUMU mode was what made-or-break'd people trying to plat it, and maybe it's just that I suck eggs at shooters, but holy crap it wasn't an exaggeration at all.

I'd be curious to know how that mode compares to Brutal difficulty on Uncharted 1-3. I've heard horror stories, but I'm always up for a challenge. I had intended to play that last Halloween, but I just ran out of time. I do have the game (and Nioh) sitting right next to me, waiting for me to get around to them...

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh yeah, Demon's Souls was great. If they remastered that, I'd definitely platinum it again.

When I was Googling the tendencies I saw a couple of pages that seemed to think that a remastered edition is coming soon. I'm pretty excited about that.

What you want to do is kill a boss, suicide in the Nexus, and repeat. (I know it sounds weird, but trust me.) If you still have a few bosses left, you might be able to save yourself from having to do another playthrough.

Unfortunately I've killed all the bosses in that zone so I don't think I have any more chances to raise the tendency that way. I'm playing the rest of the game with the wifi turned off so if I don't screw up again I think I'll only have to replay 1-1 through 1-3 and 3-1 through 3-3 to plat. So hopefully only a couple more hours, but I heard ng+ is much harder so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

The Lego games are all pretty easy. They're just fun to play if you have kids or younger siblings.

I'll probably use these games to introduce my kids to gaming. My son loves the Lego movies and likes watching me play clash of clans on my phone so when he's a little older we'll give it a try.

After plat 100, yeah, I think I'm going to take it easy for a bit. My top two goals (which are technically the same) are: (1) a higher completion percentage, and (2) less active games. I want to get to the point where I only have one or two unfinished games at any time on my account. Right now, I have seven. We'll work this weekend to knocking that down to four, by completing Lego, RER, and Shantae's new DLC. After that, we'll get back into HZD and Setsuna. Both of those are very wintery games, so I want to complete them before all of the snow melts.

And then... Batman.

I think you should be able to bang that out pretty quickly. You've made pretty good headway in those games already. Hopefully they are more fun than your bridge game. Any games on your radar for after?

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

I think you should be able to bang that out pretty quickly. You've made pretty good headway in those games already. Hopefully they are more fun than your bridge game. Any games on your radar for after?

I haven't really been paying attention to new releases. I know the Dark Souls remastered game is coming out in May, so we'll be picking that one up for sure. Depending on what kind of changes they make from the original (if any), I'll likely try to go for a challenge run. Not a speed run, but maybe a low level run or a no summons run. Maybe I'll put together a poll for that when we get a little closer to the release date.

Other than that, I'm not really sure. I'll probably avoid any long RPG until I at least finish Dragon's Dogma. What about you? All of you, really. What games are you guys working on now or planning to pick up soon?

• Like 1

I have four games on my desk that I need to open and play: Dark Souls, Dark Souls II, Valkyria Chronicles and Shadow of War and I pre-ordered God of War 4 like a year and a half ago and apparently that is coming out in April. I also bought I am bread for $2 last month. None of those are particularly quick games I think so that might be the rest of my year. Based on how much I'm enjoying the first souls game, I may end up getting Dark Souls III and Bloodborne eventually. I have pre-ordered the Final Fantasy 7 remake, but who knows when that will come out. I also don't pay a lot of attention to the new releases since there are so many existing games that I still want to play. I saw Secret of Mana is coming out next week and that would be another game I'd want to plat. I think I saw that it was playable on the Vita so I may go that route with it.

I'd kind of like to mix in an easy game in there somewhere. The South Park game was a nice change of pace although I think they left a lot on the table trophy-wise. There were trophies for some collectibles but not others. I would have thought there would be one for finding all of Big Gay Al's cats and one for finding all of the Member Berries as well, but there isn't. Also some of them were unnecessarily easy. You get a trophy for getting 10 followers and I easily had over 100 by the end of the game...not sure why they made that so low. I mean, the trophies were very easy and there was no stress about any of them which was nice...but they still could have added some more without even being too creative. I thought The Stick of Truth was a littler more funny than this one..but The Fractured But Whole definitely had its moments.

Edited by Br1ste
  • Like 1

Working on finishing up Lego Worlds at the moment. The grind for 1bil studs is brain-numbing. Think I fell asleep watching TV a half dozen times pressing the :cross: button. Good news is Im almost there now. Was hoping to finish it up tonight but just leaving work now at almost midnight...

• Like 1

You have to set your console to not sign you in automatically when you turn it on. That way when you play Demon Souls it doesn't automatically try to connect you to an online server.

That being said I'm probably going to tackle Demon Souls once I get done with Unravel. There's a good guide on Youtube that tells you everything you need to do for the trophies, but at some point you to start New Game Plus to finish off the platinum.

We'll see how my luck is getting the Pure Bladestone drop. I hear everywhere that that is one of the worst drops in the game because of how low the drop rates are.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Spaz said:

You have to set your console to not sign you in automatically when you turn it on. That way when you play Demon Souls it doesn't automatically try to connect you to an online server.

Unfortunately, I didn't see this online until after I googled why I didn't have the pure white tendency for the area. The guide here doesn't really warn you that the tendency can be screwed up by playing online, it just recommends offline play and assumes you are playing offline. I thought that if I didn't play with anyone online, I'd be safe. It wasn't until I googled and saw on the Wikia page how the world tendencies work that I realized my mistake. I have a feeling I'll need to end up playing more in the NG+ than I realize, because I am very bad at avoiding the shining gecko things. I know you need to keep some alive to farm for the stones and I'm wearing the Thief's ring exclusively, but I swear I randomly bump into them and they run away and disappear before I realize what has happened. We'll see if I've messed those up too when I start farming the stones. I'm hoping to finish all of the boss demons over the long weekend.

• Like 1

I've been playing a bit since my last update. It's also my first week of the winter break. The time goes by so quickly....

There's so many games I have to finish and I have less and less time to do that. I have a game plan in my head. I want to finish story mode in Knack, then platinum Knack 2. Then platinum South Park The Fractured But Whole. Then I'll probably try to finish multiplayer trophies in Killzone 3 and Killzone 2 (probably not gonna get it done though) while the servers are still up. And then... I don't really know yet. It'll probably be March 20th so I'll focus on playing Titan Quest all day long. Then there's God of War in April. Then Vampyr which I find really interesting. It's hard to organize everything. Also, I usually make such a plan in my head and then everything goes to sh... sheep. So yeah, planning ahead so much is harmful for me. 

Now to the update:

I finished AC Syndicate. The only thing I enjoyed was the DLC (that's a sentence I'll probably never repeat in my entire gaming career). It was reaaaaaaallly booooring. Now I have just a whole bunch of other ACs to finish: Rouge, Unity and The Whole Freaking Ezio Collection. 

I also finished Cat Quest, sadly. I wish there were more games like this one. Gentlebros' game is really a gem in a sea of poorly made indie games.

I had a two day binge playing Ratchet and Clank. This game is awesome. I can't remember the last time I sunk so badly in a game. I recommend it to anyone looking for something that's not stress inducing.

I also made some progress in Deadpool and started playing Prey. No review until I finish them though :P

I started playing Knack. There are no words in Polish or English that I did not use when playing this game. God it's awful. It's like Dark Souls but more unfair. Good thing I'm just playing it now for the story and I don't have to plat it yet. There will be time for this and I'll surely break something. 

2017 Completed Games

Spoiler

God of War II (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Get Even (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Child of Light (PS4) - DONE (100%) 

Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

101 Ways To Die (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Hue (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Layers of Fear (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Maize (PS4) - DONE (100%)

The Park (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Batman Arkham Knight (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Aragami (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

God of War: Chains of Olympus (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Slayaway Camp (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

2018 Games

Spoiler

Life is Strange (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Firewatch (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Cat Quest (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

[DUE JUNE 2018] Spy Chameleon (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (59%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Kholat (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (14%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (91%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Deadpool (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (25%)

Assassin's Creed Rogue (PS3) - NOT YET DONE (0%)

God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3) - NOT YET DONE (7%)

Knack (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (21%)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RockyJokerPL said:

Then I'll probably try to finish multiplayer trophies in Killzone 3 and Killzone 2 (probably not gonna get it done though) while the servers are still up.

I wouldn't try at this point. Most people now are trying to boost Valor Grand Cross with 5 - 6 PS3s and having several alts while dedicating 10+ hours a day boosting. If you can pull that off and earn the trophy, you're a real fucking stud. Mad respect to you because I'll probably send you a gift and a donation.

Killzone 3 on the other hand looks completely doable. You just need to find a boosting group on Discord that is dedicated enough to get all the online trophies.

I finished AC Syndicate. The only thing I enjoyed was the DLC (that's a sentence I'll probably never repeat in my entire gaming career). It was reaaaaaaallly booooring. Now I have just a whole bunch of other ACs to finish: Rouge, Unity and The Whole Freaking Ezio Collection.

Syndicate was pretty boring to me too. Still haven't gotten around to going back and finishing that game. I hear it's pretty easy though.

The Ezio Collection is not bad at all on the PS4 since there are no online trophies for Brotherhood and Revelations. Revelations however was a stinker. The setting wasn't nearly as memorable, the story and characters were mostly dull, the Desmond Miles plot was poorly made and those god awful first person platforming sections were terrible. Both the Desmond levels and the Lost Archive (initially DLC in the PS3 version) were enough to keep me fuming. Anybody who has earned that Warren Vidic trophy knows what I'm talking about.

I also finished Cat Quest, sadly. I wish there were more games like this one. Gentlebros' game is really a gem in a sea of poorly made indie games.

There's a lot of shit out there. Steam is infamous for putting a lot of garbage and shovelware on their store, games that don't even play properly let alone run well on your computer.

If you're looking for more indie titles I highly recommend Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Transistor, Firewatch, Bastion, Shadow Complex Remastered, Sonic Mania, etc etc etc. I haven't bought Shadow Complex yet but from looking at Youtube videos it looks quite good. Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge are fucking fantastic. I definitely need to finish up the Shovel Knight DLC and start Axiom Verge on my main account. Had a blast playing Axiom on my alt.

Velocity 2X and the Hotline Miami games (1 & 2) are also pretty good. I recently finished up Valley a week ago and if you enjoy walking simulators then you'll enjoy this game. There's plenty of good games that don't require top of the line 4K graphics and tens of millions of dollars to make.

I started playing Knack. There are no words in Polish or English that I did not use when playing this game. God it's awful. It's like Dark Souls but more unfair. Good thing I'm just playing it now for the story and I don't have to plat it yet. There will be time for this and I'll surely break something. 

Is it getting the crystals in the chests? I hear they're completely random and you can play as many as 8 playthroughs before you find all the crystals. I expected it to be a bit like Ratchet and Clank with the cartoonish looks and appeal, but I guess not.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

I wouldn't try at this point. Most people now are trying to boost Valor Grand Cross with 5 - 6 PS3s and having several alts while dedicating 10+ hours a day boosting. If you can pull that off and earn the trophy, you're a real fucking stud. Mad respect to you because I'll probably send you a gift and a donation.

Killzone 3 on the other hand looks completely doable. You just need to find a boosting group on Discord that is dedicated enough to get all the online trophies.

I actually spent some time online in Killzone 2 and 3 yesterday. I now have to get one trophy in Killzone 3 MP i.e. Complete a match as part of a squad. 

I saw the weekly leaderboards in Killzone 2 and saw a guy with over 50000 kills and 4 deaths. Noooooo, definitely not boosting. I won't bother getting MP trophies in Killzone 2. Firstly, no time as it's the last two months of high school for me. Secondly, I don't have anyone to boost this with and there's about 10 people playing on public servers. No way you could do it without boosting. Happy news for you then, you can put your wallet back and keep the donation money ;)

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Syndicate was pretty boring to me too. Still haven't gotten around to going back and finishing that game. I hear it's pretty easy though.

The Ezio Collection is not bad at all on the PS4 since there are no online trophies for Brotherhood and Revelations. Revelations however was a stinker. The setting wasn't nearly as memorable, the story and characters were mostly dull, the Desmond Miles plot was poorly made and those god awful first person platforming sections were terrible. Both the Desmond levels and the Lost Archive (initially DLC in the PS3 version) were enough to keep me fuming. Anybody who has earned that Warren Vidic trophy knows what I'm talking about.

Now you've discouraged me. Revelations is the only part I've not played. I platted AC 2 and have a few MP (arghhhh...) trophies to get in Brotherhood that keep me from getting the plat. If I could choose three games in which I wanted to auto pop all remaining trophies (or at least MP trophies) it would most probably be AC Brotherhood, Resistance 2 and Ghostbusters The Video Game. 

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

There's a lot of shit out there. Steam is infamous for putting a lot of garbage and shovelware on their store, games that don't even play properly let alone run well on your computer.

If you're looking for more indie titles I highly recommend Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Transistor, Firewatch, Bastion, Shadow Complex Remastered, Sonic Mania, etc etc etc. I haven't bought Shadow Complex yet but from looking at Youtube videos it looks quite good. Shovel Knight and Axiom Verge are fucking fantastic. I definitely need to finish up the Shovel Knight DLC and start Axiom Verge on my main account. Had a blast playing Axiom on my alt.

Velocity 2X and the Hotline Miami games (1 & 2) are also pretty good. I recently finished up Valley a week ago and if you enjoy walking simulators then you'll enjoy this game. There's plenty of good games that don't require top of the line 4K graphics and tens of millions of dollars to make.

PS Store is slowly beginning to look a lot like Steam Store. With titles like Life of Black Tiger, Spear of Destiny, My Name is Mayo, Mr. Massagy... need I list any more? No, you get a point. There's plenty of shit games that shouldn't be there. 

Sticking to the indie games topic, I don't if you saw my profile but I dare to say there are more indie games than AAA titles. I don't need realistic graphics to play a game and enjoy it. I can play a game as long as it's playable i.e. it works. Graphics could be cel-shading, pixel art, cartoon or realistic, don't care. As long as it doesn't hurt my eyes (I'm looking at Ace of Seafood) I dig the graphics. 

I've recently played Firewatch and really enjoyed it. From the games you mentioned I've platted Valley and Transistor. I've not completed Hotline Miami yet. Bastion is waiting for it's trun in my library and I've just bought Headlander. I reaaaallly like a well done indie game. 

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

Is it getting the crystals in the chests? I hear they're completely random and you can play as many as 8 playthroughs before you find all the crystals. I expected it to be a bit like Ratchet and Clank with the cartoonish looks and appeal, but I guess not.

No it's not the crystals, it's the game itself. I reached the end boss today and gave up after a few tries, uninstalled the game and loaded up Knack 2. It's way better so far. I wanted to complete the story in the first one before I start the sequel. When the last boss turned out to be the way it is I thought to myself that I can't be arsed to play it anymore. Not this month at least...

• Like 1

Oh wow, is Knack is really that bad? I remember people saying it was disappointing, but I don't remember it receiving "worst game ever" reviews. Maybe I'll delete it from my HD. Life is too short to play shitty games! (Says the one who was rocking the Chameleon a few months ago...)

You liked Axiom Verge, @Spaz? I suppose it was a good game. I have an issue with it, just because the final boss was so difficult to beat with a flamethrower. (Not even sure why I had to do that, but I remember it was a trophy or whatever.) That was the only time in my entire life that I threw my controller down in anger, and I nearly broke it. You can actually see where it got chipped. But I gave the controller its own name to celebrate the occasion. I call it... Player Two. (Enjoy, sis.)

I definitely want to hear more about Demon's Souls, but, right now, I gotta make some serious progress in Lego. Today is going to be a busy day!

22 minutes ago, RockyJokerPL said:

I saw the weekly leaderboards in Killzone 2 and saw a guy with over 50000 kills and 4 deaths. Noooooo, definitely not boosting. I won't bother getting MP trophies in Killzone 2. Firstly, no time as it's the last two months of high school for me. Secondly, I don't have anyone to boost this with and there's about 10 people playing on public servers. No way you could do it without boosting. Happy news for you then, you can put your wallet back and keep the donation money ;)

You wouldn't of stood a chance anyway if you only have one console and one account.

But yeah. For anybody who hasn't touched the multiplayer, just forget about Killzone 2 online and move on.

24 minutes ago, RockyJokerPL said:

Now you've discouraged me. Revelations is the only part I've not played. I platted AC 2 and have a few MP (arghhhh...) trophies to get in Brotherhood that keep me from getting the plat. If I could choose three games in which I wanted to auto pop all remaining trophies (or at least MP trophies) it would most probably be AC Brotherhood, Resistance 2 and Ghostbusters The Video Game.

It's not completely terrible, it was disappointing. Ubisoft really started to not give a crap about Desmond Miles after Brotherhood. They just put him in a coma for the entire game, which if you've remembered the end of Brotherhood you will know why. I didn't find the Ottoman setting to be nearly as interesting or intriguing as Rome, or even any of the Italian cities in Assassins Creed II. There was more to do in Brotherhood than in Revelations. Plus Ezio was basically a crotchety old man, a far cry from the spruce young self he was in AC II.

I don't know if I will ever get the platinum in the PS3 version of Brotherhood. I really hate online boosting and these days there are plenty of games, movies and tv shows for me to spend my time on than to join a boosting group that may very well end badly. That may not always happen, but I've had numerous bad encounters with people in the past in online games.

30 minutes ago, RockyJokerPL said:

PS Store is slowly beginning to look a lot like Steam Store. With titles like Life of Black Tiger, Spear of Destiny, My Name is Mayo, Mr. Massagy... need I list any more? No, you get a point. There's plenty of shit games that shouldn't be there. 

Sticking to the indie games topic, I don't if you saw my profile but I dare to say there are more indie games than AAA titles. I don't need realistic graphics to play a game and enjoy it. I can play a game as long as it's playable i.e. it works. Graphics could be cel-shading, pixel art, cartoon or realistic, don't care. As long as it doesn't hurt my eyes (I'm looking at Ace of Seafood) I dig the graphics. 

I've recently played Firewatch and really enjoyed it. From the games you mentioned I've platted Valley and Transistor. I've not completed Hotline Miami yet. Bastion is waiting for it's trun in my library and I've just bought Headlander. I reaaaallly like a well done indie game.

I wouldn't call the old Playstation 3 library the best either, but did Sony change hands a few years ago? I always see CARLOHAS and KingSuperOne bitching about a lot of these bad games that are somehow getting greenlighted onto the store.

Playstation and Steam are pretty much intertwined in a lot of ways. A lot of indie games these days get put onto Steam first, then we get the titles a year later.

My Name is Mayo and Mr Massagy both get a lot of criticism but I feel that both games stand out a bit in a weird way. No, they're not great games like Shovel Knight or Axiom Verge or anything like that, but they're not completely terrible as some people would tell you otherwise. They just get a lot of hate because anybody can earn the platinum trophies in them.

Life of Black Tiger is purely a trophy whore game. Much like Orc Slayer, and I finished that game over a year ago. How anybody can double stack that game is beyond me.

And Spear of Destiny was made by the same cons who made Solbrain. How the fuck did that get onto the store? I don't know, but it doesn't belong on there.

36 minutes ago, RockyJokerPL said:

No it's not the crystals, it's the game itself. I reached the end boss today and gave up after a few tries, uninstalled the game and loaded up Knack 2. It's way better so far. I wanted to complete the story in the first one before I start the sequel. When the last boss turned out to be the way it is I thought to myself that I can't be arsed to play it anymore. Not this month at least...

That bad eh?

What difficulty were you playing on?

Perseverance is key to winning hard games.

28 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh wow, is Knack is really that bad? I remember people saying it was disappointing, but I don't remember it receiving "worst game ever" reviews. Maybe I'll delete it from my HD. Life is too short to play shitty games! (Says the one who was rocking the Chameleon a few months ago...)

You liked Axiom Verge, @Spaz? I suppose it was a good game. I have an issue with it, just because the final boss was so difficult to beat with a flamethrower. (Not even sure why I had to do that, but I remember it was a trophy or whatever.) That was the only time in my entire life that I threw my controller down in anger, and I nearly broke it. You can actually see where it got chipped. But I gave the controller its own name to celebrate the occasion. I call it... Player Two. (Enjoy, sis.)

I definitely want to hear more about Demon's Souls, but, right now, I gotta make some serious progress in Lego. Today is going to be a busy day!

At least shitty games won't get you into trouble with the law. Like what happened to my friend a few months ago when he was caught drinking behind the steering wheel driving.

Axiom Verge is the closest thing to Super Metroid. One of my all time favorites on the SNES next to Earthbound and Chrono Trigger.

I haven't beaten the game yet but I will pretty soon.

Pffft. I would love to see you in person try to beat one of the Dark worlds in Super Meat Boy without dying. You wouldn't just throw your controller down, you would break it in two.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Knack's actually pretty decent. It's got a lot of flaws (a hell of a lot, actually), but it's still a fun and pretty cute platformer, albeit a bit frustrating at times due to the main character being made of literal glass. It's definitely not the "worst game ever". I think the main problem was that it got overly hyped (especially due to being one of the initial PS4 exclusives) and massively disappointed compared to expectations.

That being said, I only got halfway through my normal playthrough, so I'm sure I'll get *really* aggravated when I have to finish it on the hardest difficulty for trophies.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

What difficulty were you playing on?

Lol, normal... Should be called abnormal though...

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

You wouldn't just throw your controller down, you would break it in two

I've only once gotten so angry I broke something... twice actually. First time I smashed the chair on the floor while trying to beat Challenge of the Gods in the first God of War. I remember that it was a sixth or a seventh trial and I was pushing the left joystick. I died while still pushing the joystick and accidentally exited to main menu. You have to beat the Challenge in one sitting without exiting. There's ten in a row... I repaired the chair though. Stools at my house are easy to fix, there are just two parts: legs and the seat (that's one of the weirdest sentences I've written). 

Second time, it was near the beginning of this year I decided to return to Castlevania Lords of Shadow for the DLC. I completed the first one but the second one on the hardest difficulty is AIDS. After a 974537882th try I gently put the controller down, took a deep breath and then brought my fist down on it like I was on a debate. It still works though. 

My friend is a rage machine. He broke his DS4 in two. He took the left side in one hand, the right side in right hand and began to turn one hand clockwise and the other one counter clockwise. He opened his controller like a jar of jam. Also, he throws his controller across the room reeeaaaaallly frequently....

23 minutes ago, regularegg said:

Knack's actually pretty decent. It's got a lot of flaws (a hell of a lot, actually), but it's still a fun and pretty cute platformer, albeit a bit frustrating at times due to the main character being made of literal glass. It's definitely not the "worst game ever". I think the main problem was that it got overly hyped (especially due to being one of the initial PS4 exclusives) and massively disappointed compared to expectations.

I'm not saying it's the worst game ever made. Because I usually exaggerate waaaay too much I'll clarify some things. I don't like the difficulty level - it's like Dark Souls with kids graphics but more unfair in terms of difficulty. Knack moves too slow for me - I can make myself a coffee and I'll get back before he is finished punching once (exaggeration - told ya). Checkpoints should be scattered densely - for such a difficult game there are way too few of these. 

Knack looks fun, it's even fun to play for an hour or two, but it's too monotonous and difficult. As it is a game for kids over the age of 7 (as PEGI suggests) I don't think any kid that young could finish this game. 

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Pffft. I would love to see you in person try to beat one of the Dark worlds in Super Meat Boy without dying. You wouldn't just throw your controller down, you would break it in two.

I'll pass on that. There's no way I am EVER touching SMB. I like my hard games to be beatable through a reasonable amount of persistence and determination.

5 hours ago, regularegg said:

That being said, I only got halfway through my normal playthrough, so I'm sure I'll get *really* aggravated when I have to finish it on the hardest difficulty for trophies.

Even if it sucks, at least it was free. There's nothing worse than paying for an overhyped game that turned out to be extremely disappointing. Isn't that right, No Man's Sky

Didn't realize Knack was a hard game, though. I thought people just hated the controls. I'm definitely going to have to think this one over...

4 hours ago, RockyJokerPL said:

I've only once gotten so angry I broke something... twice actually. First time I smashed the chair on the floor while trying to beat Challenge of the Gods in the first God of War. I remember that it was a sixth or a seventh trial and I was pushing the left joystick. I died while still pushing the joystick and accidentally exited to main menu. You have to beat the Challenge in one sitting without exiting. There's ten in a row... I repaired the chair though. Stools at my house are easy to fix, there are just two parts: legs and the seat (that's one of the weirdest sentences I've written).

I think I did that game on my old account and I remember hating it too. Just like with the final boss in Axiom Verge, my problem was having to mash buttons until my fingers bled. I can't think of many things worse in the world of gaming than being forced to spam a button as hard and fast as you can for an extremely long period of time...and then dying. Just the thought of having to spam that button again is enough for me to hurl a controller at the TV.

Anyway, we're making good progress on Lego. I'm actually watching The Force Awakens on DVD while I grab all of the collectibles. There are so many of these damn things, though, that I could probably watch the entire Star Wars series in the time it would take me to reach 100%.

20 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Even if it sucks, at least it was free. There's nothing worse than paying for an overhyped game that turned out to be extremely disappointing. Isn't that right, No Man's Sky

Didn't realize Knack was a hard game, though. I thought people just hated the controls. I'm definitely going to have to think this one over...

I got NMS from my girlfriend a few weeks ago and I honestly think it's pretty good, though it's been patched to hell since launch. Planning to platinum it eventually. Though I generally keep my expectations for things low, so I can enjoy just about anything I play.

Knack is hard, but it's less a good hard, more a frustrating hard. I can't say the controls are particularly bad, but it's extremely unforgiving.

I'll pass on that. There's no way I am EVER touching SMB. I like my hard games to be beatable through a reasonable amount of persistence and determination.

What about Wolfenstein II: The New Collossus? That Mein Leben trophy is enough to keep me frustrated for weeks on end.

2 hours ago, regularegg said:

I got NMS from my girlfriend a few weeks ago and I honestly think it's pretty good, though it's been patched to hell since launch. Planning to platinum it eventually. Though I generally keep my expectations for things low, so I can enjoy just about anything I play.

Yeah, believe it or not, I'm one of the few who actually liked NMS. The trophies that required getting to the center and finding another player's base sucked (mostly because it's a lot of farming and luck), but I actually found it to be one of the better play-while-watching-a-movie games out there. There's also a novelty that makes the first 10-20 hours kinda fun.

Unfortunately, once you run out of things to do but mass produce warp cells, the cracks really begin to show. I think the game would have benefited tremendously from a better trophy list.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

What about Wolfenstein II: The New Collossus? That Mein Leben trophy is enough to keep me frustrated for weeks on end.

You know, as much as I liked the other Wolfenstein games, I can't see myself even attempting that trophy. I might play the game at some point, but I collect trophies because they're fun, not because I want to torture myself. Mein Leben is where I draw the line. MAYBE if I could skip cut scenes, MAYBE if save scumming was allowed, MAYBE if there weren't a ton of glitches and randomness to worry about, I MIGHT attempt it. But, unless somebody discovers a way to make that trophy reasonable, I'm not even going to bother.

Oh, and hey. Trophy milestone #4500 obtained! For this one, I went with my main girl Rottytops. Sure, I could have snagged any of several good LEGO Star Wars ones (Traitor! and Not the Droid You're Looking For were two of my favorites), but Rotty and I go way back. All the way back to milestone #2500 actually, when I was trying to get a Shantae milestone and Rottytops popped instead. Ever since then, I think she's just been out to ruin my trophy list, so I thought it was only fitting that she claims another milestone.

But the best milestone is yet to come...

Edited by Cassylvania

Platinum #99 - LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens

1Lc03c25.png

I love this game for two reasons, and both of those relate to my childhood. First, this brings me back to when I actually enjoyed the Star Wars films. Try as I might, I just could never get into the prequels (Episodes 1-3). I know some people have made some pretty good arguments for Episode 3, but that movie simply wasn't enough to overcome the disappointment I felt after seeing the first two. Episode 7 changed all that. I freakin' LOVE that movie. I just got done watching it for the third time. Yes, it is very similar to the original Star Wars movie, but why is that a bad thing? I think I've already gushed over this movie in an earlier post, so I'll leave it alone here, but I just wanted to thank everybody involved in this film for restoring my faith in the Star Wars universe. (This game is a wonderful adaptation too. It's so cool to watch the movie right after playing through the game to see how much attention to detail went into this.)

The second reason I love this game is because of the local co-op feature that is sorely lacking in modern games. I'll never understand why this feature has been dying out, but it's a breath of fresh air every time I get the chance to play a game with somebody in the same room as me. It's probably the one reason I still prefer Nintendo over Sony...

• Like 1

You know, as much as I liked the other Wolfenstein games, I can't see myself even attempting that trophy. I might play the game at some point, but I collect trophies because they're fun, not because I want to torture myself. Mein Leben is where I draw the line. MAYBE if I could skip cut scenes, MAYBE if save scumming was allowed, MAYBE if there weren't a ton of glitches and randomness to worry about, I MIGHT attempt it. But, unless somebody discovers a way to make that trophy reasonable, I'm not even going to bother.

What I do for tough trophies is I watch how a player who did achieve them earned them.

For Super Meat Boy I've followed a few peoples videos, and while those trophies are a bitch, they are far from impossible. So I've continued to persist and play the game despite my troubles.

I download a lot of videos from Youtube and I use them as a reference and a guide to helping me earn more difficult trophies so what seemed like a fucking impossible trophy is not so difficult and impossible. It just takes a lot of time investment and commitment.

The only time I will draw the line, apart from online trophies, is when I screw up in a game like Star Ocean: The Last Hope International that requires around 1000 hours to platinum. There are missables in the game, and without a backup save you will lose hundreds of hours of progress. That kind of time takes months and months to acquire back, and if someone isn't ready then don't bother playing.

Super Meat Boy and Wolfenstein II both have plenty of guides and help. So that's why I'm going for them. Brian aka PS4Trophies posted a Mein Leben walkthrough someone else played through but he was nice enough to post it as a video. With a good amount of practice and experience Mein Leben can be achieved in under 3 - 4 hours, so it's completely doable. I already have the video saved on my computer so when I do get around to the game eventually, whether it's months or even next year, I'll be following the video as help.

PS4Trophies has helped me with a lot of games I've completed with his videos. I can't thank him enough. Powerpyx is another good Youtuber.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, believe it or not, I'm one of the few who actually liked NMS. The trophies that required getting to the center and finding another player's base sucked (mostly because it's a lot of farming and luck), but I actually found it to be one of the better play-while-watching-a-movie games out there. There's also a novelty that makes the first 10-20 hours kinda fun.

Unfortunately, once you run out of things to do but mass produce warp cells, the cracks really begin to show. I think the game would have benefited tremendously from a better trophy list.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of playing NMS while watching movies. I have a whole bunch of games set aside for when I'm on Netflix, but I hadn't considered NMS for that list. 

The most annoying trophy so far for me is the naturalist one. I literally cannot complete planets. I've spent probably an hour searching for *one remaining species*. I'll probably downgrade the game once I finish all the other trophies and make another playthrough for that one trophy.

Supposedly a new event is on its way. They're currently running an ARG for an upcoming update, but god knows when that'll actually release.

Also, congrats on the new plat!

• Like 1