Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

9 minutes ago, StingX2 said:

Grats on 77 and 78!

Whats next up for ya?

Hi, @StingX2! Thanks so much. I'm trying to get back into Plants vs. Zombies 2 right now because it's almost time for the next Boss Hunt. There are still three time-limited trophies that I need to earn in that game, but beating a Boss Hunt on the hardest difficulty is the one I'm most worried about.

Other than that, we have a few more days before the challenges we entered begin. I ordered the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, so we'll probably begin that soon (might need my brother's help for this one, as I never played those games back in the day), and I was thinking of playing through Deponia. Basically, I had this crazy idea to get nine more platinums quickly, so that we can reach platinum #100 on Halloween. Probably too lofty of a goal, but that's four games right there.

Also, we need to decide which game will be first for our Fall challenge.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Hi, @StingX2! Thanks so much. I'm trying to get back into Plants vs. Zombies 2 right now because it's almost time for the next Boss Hunt. There are still three time-limited trophies that I need to earn in that game, but beating a Boss Hunt on the hardest difficulty is the one I'm most worried about.

Other than that, we have a few more days before the challenges we entered begin. I ordered the Crash Bandicoot trilogy, so we'll probably begin that soon (might need my brother's help for this one, as I never played those games back in the day), and I was thinking of playing through Deponia. Basically, I had this crazy idea to get nine more platinums quickly, so that we can reach platinum #100 on Halloween. Probably too lofty of a goal, but that's four games right there.

Also, we need to decide which game will be first for our Fall challenge.

Deponia is a good candidate being an adventure title. The Crash trilogy is fun but rough. 1 is by far the hardest platinum, 2 and 3's difficulty lies with the time trials. Also blehhhhh at time limited trophies, Dirt 4 has a real nasty one that is an absolute mess.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, StingX2 said:

Deponia is a good candidate being an adventure title. The Crash trilogy is fun but rough. 1 is by far the hardest platinum, 2 and 3's difficulty lies with the time trials. Also blehhhhh at time limited trophies, Dirt 4 has a real nasty one that is an absolute mess.

After playing Super Meat Boy, Crash Bandicoot will feel like a walk in the park. I'm usually good with platformers so the trilogy won't be a big problem for me.

Anyway got a couple questions for you Cassylvania.

1. Did you finish Demon Souls? And if so, got any tips for me?

2. How were the feats for Plague Knight and Specter Knight? I've been looking to 100 percent Shovel Knight.

---

You can easily get 100 platinums if you have the right set of games. The games I'm talking about are those that many people generally consider too easy like Nubla, My Name is Mayo, Orc Slayer and Coffin Dodgers. That's just a few, there's a lot more out there that can easily boost up your platinum count.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Anyway got a couple questions for you Cassylvania.

1. Did you finish Demon Souls? And if so, got any tips for me?

2. How were the feats for Plague Knight and Specter Knight? I've been looking to 100 percent Shovel Knight.

---

You can easily get 100 platinums if you have the right set of games. The games I'm talking about are those that many people generally consider too easy like Nubla, My Name is Mayo, Orc Slayer and Coffin Dodgers. That's just a few, there's a lot more out there that can easily boost up your platinum count.

Oh, I like questions! Let's see...

1. Yes, I've actually platinumed it multiple times. I think it's the hardest game in the Souls series (debatable), but it can be seriously cheesed with a bow and arrow. There are lots of strategies for each boss, but I'd say the vast majority of them can be beaten fairly easily with a bow. It also makes getting through the levels themselves much easier. As far as level progression goes, I recommend 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1 (get the Crescent Falchion +1), and 3-1, in that order. The remaining levels are much harder and/or have significantly tougher bosses, but those stages will prepare you for what's to come.
  2. I'd say they're fairly challenging, but not too hard (like a 6 out of 10), which is about on par with -- or maybe slightly harder than -- the original Shovel Knight. The hardest thing about Plague Knight is his controls. The hardest thing about Specter Knight is the climbing mini-game, but his controls are much better. If you didn't have any trouble with Shovel Knight's platinum, I'm sure you'll be fine.
  3. It's tempting, but I'm not touching games that are blatant crap. (Okay, Coffin Dodgers looks hilarious.) Given the choice, I'd rather platinum Star Ocean: The Last Hope, because I at least like JRPGs and would probably enjoy playing it, even if it'd take me hundreds of hours to finish. I can't say the same about My Name is Mayo.
Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Awesome, @Spaz! I'll be excited to hear your experiences with Demon's Souls and Bloodborne. Demon's was my first serious game on the PS3, and it's what got me into trophy hunting in the first place. I wish they'd remaster it already...

Speaking of realllllly good games, I just finished Tales from the Borderlands, which I think gets my vote for best game I've played this year (if not #1, it's certainly in the top three, along with Arkham Knight and Darkest Dungeon). I'm sad to see this one go, but there's plenty more Telltale games to come.

Platinum #78 - Tales from the Borderlands

1L2ee2ae.png

Tales from the Borderlands is my favorite telltale game thus far, the comedy never failed to make me laugh. Telltale may be lacking in gameplay, but they always have a good story to tell, usually with a great soundtrack to go with it.

I've just got the platinum in Killing Floor 2, the grind to rank 25 really isn't that long but the game is incredibly boring, and lacking content, every match is pretty much the same. Also got every collectible in Just Cause 3, now... for the real grind. challenges will be the end of me.

• Like 1

Just now, Avalynch said:

Tales from the Borderlands is my favorite telltale game thus far, the comedy never failed to make me laugh. Telltale may be lacking in gameplay, but they always have a good story to tell, usually with a great soundtrack to go with it.

I've just got the platinum in Killing Floor 2, the grind to rank 25 really isn't that long but the game is incredibly boring, and lacking content, every match is pretty much the same. Also got every collectible in Just Cause 3, now... for the real grind. challenges will be the end of me.

Nice job with KF2 and JC3! I considered playing Just Cause 3, but I heard the controls are jank. I don't do well with jank.

As for Telltale, I totally agree. My only issue with their games (and it's a minor one) is that I wish there was a rewind button that you could use during the game. I found myself restarting scenes multiple times in Tales from the Borderlands because I wanted to see what happened if I made a different choice, and it got very tedious due to how far apart the checkpoints are. This could be remedied another way, by providing better indicators of the kind of response you are giving. For example, sometimes I'm given a dialogue choice that looks sarcastic but actually comes across mean. The only reason I made that choice was because I wanted my character to say something witty, so I feel bad when it doesn't come out that way. It's not a huge complaint, but it does detract from the gameplay somewhat, because I'm left scrambling for a choice that not only suits the kind of character I am playing, but one that will also come out the way I intended.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, I like questions! Let's see...

1. Yes, I've actually platinumed it multiple times. I think it's the hardest game in the Souls series (debatable), but it can be seriously cheesed with a bow and arrow. There are lots of strategies for each boss, but I'd say the vast majority of them can be beaten fairly easily with a bow. It also makes getting through the levels themselves much easier. As far as level progression goes, I recommend 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 4-1 (get the Crescent Falchion +1), and 3-1, in that order. The remaining levels are much harder and/or have significantly tougher bosses, but those stages will prepare you for what's to come.
  2. I'd say they're fairly challenging, but not too hard (like a 6 out of 10), which is about on par with -- or maybe slightly harder than -- the original Shovel Knight. The hardest thing about Plague Knight is his controls. The hardest thing about Specter Knight is the climbing mini-game, but his controls are much better. If you didn't have any trouble with Shovel Knight's platinum, I'm sure you'll be fine.
  3. It's tempting, but I'm not touching games that are blatant crap. (Okay, Coffin Dodgers looks hilarious.) Given the choice, I'd rather platinum Star Ocean: The Last Hope, because I at least like JRPGs and would probably enjoy playing it, even if it'd take me hundreds of hours to finish. I can't say the same about My Name is Mayo.

1. You made a good point. I did 1-1 and 1-2 two years ago. Wasn't too bad really.

I prefer melee classes when it comes to action RPGs like Demon Souls and Dark Souls. Just my personal preference. I hate Mages because they're usually too fragile and too flimsy, not as much HP as I want them to have. Never had much experience with Archer like classes, but I think you can still use a bow and arrow as a Knight.

A lot of people rate Demon Souls a 8 out of 10 in difficulty. The only things I've really done that I would rate that high are the Community Challenges in Arkham Knight, and the later worlds in Super Meat Boy. So yeah.

I'm going to see if I can get someone to trade me items for those trophies, then I'll trade them back to the person.

2. I'm missing a few "green" coins in a few stages in Plague Knight. I beat the final boss, got a few things to clean up before New Game Plus. Basically the guide tells you to make four playthroughs, one normal, one new game plus, one without using any health tonics, and one speedrun. I think it's more or less the same for Specter Knight.

Basically they make you put a lot of work for just two trophies, which turns off a lot of people from 100 percenting it all.

3. I guessing no Orc Slayer or 1000 Top Rated.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

@Spaz I also prefer Knight classes. My usual Souls character uses a sword, shield, bow, medium armor, and maybe a little bit of healing magic. The only exception to that was my first playthrough of Dark Souls, where I used a mage, which I guess is "easy mode" for that game. If they ever put that game on the PS4, I'm going to do a level 9 Knight run. (I need a few levels to raise my dexterity high enough to use the bow I want.)

But yeah, I'm just saying you should carry a bow with you at all times. I mostly played through Demon's with a sword and shield, but there are certain spots and bosses that become much easier if you can stand a safe distance away. If you want a good sword, though, maybe head to 4-1 now and grab that Falchion. It's fairly early in the level, but I recommend using a blunt weapon to take out those silver skeletons along the way. Also, practice killing those things. No enemy will prepare you for Dark Souls better than them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

@Spaz I also prefer Knight classes. My usual Souls character uses a sword, shield, bow, medium armor, and maybe a little bit of healing magic. The only exception to that was my first playthrough of Dark Souls, where I used a mage, which I guess is "easy mode" for that game. If they ever put that game on the PS4, I'm going to do a level 9 Knight run. (I need a few levels to raise my dexterity high enough to use the bow I want.)

But yeah, I'm just saying you should carry a bow with you at all times. I mostly played through Demon's with a sword and shield, but there are certain spots and bosses that become much easier if you can stand a safe distance away. If you want a good sword, though, maybe head to 4-1 now and grab that Falchion. It's fairly early in the level, but I recommend using a blunt weapon to take out those silver skeletons along the way. Also, practice killing those things. No enemy will prepare you for Dark Souls better than them.

I downloaded an entire Youtube playthrough a year ago of someone playing through Demon Souls.

I have a habit of downloading videos from my Firefox browser and putting them onto my external hard drive. In case the channel gets taken down I still have the videos.

My main worry in Demon Souls isn't the bosses or the enemies, but more to do with the world/character tendency. I hear everyone say the Pure Bladestone is a pain in the ass to get because of it's low drop rate.

• Like 2

@Spaz Yeah, I had to farm that thing on like three different accounts. I've done worse, though. Farming for it is pretty simple... You just drop down the stairs, kill an enemy, pick up what he drops, and then suicide off the cliff. Like a hundred times. Maybe two hundred. Watch a movie while you do it.

World tendencies are a little weird, so yeah, read up on those first. I think the basic idea is just to kill yourself in the Nexus whenever you beat a boss, which prevents the worlds from turning black. Some other things affect it too, but that's the main one I remember. It's nothing to get worked up over, though.

• Like 1

You've added Crash to your carrot patch ? I've only got to play 20 minutes of the demo at a local game store, couldn't get used to the depth perception. Wonder if you'll dip it in the purple paint when you're done with it (Because... purple carrots aren't normal right? O_O). Have you played the original games?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avalynch said:

You've added Crash to your carrot patch 1f606.png I've only got to play 20 minutes of the demo at a local game store, couldn't get used to the depth perception. Wonder if you'll dip it in the purple paint when you're done with it (Because... purple carrots aren't normal right? O_O). Have you played the original games?

My only experience with Crash is that one level in Uncharted 4, and I remember hating it. No idea why I started this. Plus, it's horrible to watch Crash get pummeled over the head with every box I miss in a level. It's like I already feel bad for missing something, but now I have to watch the poor guy suffer because of my mistake. Why do you do this to me, game!?

Purple carrot is looking likely. I've never been very good at platformers and these controls feel a little slippery. I totally get what you mean about the depth perception issue.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

My only experience with Crash is that one level in Uncharted 4, and I remember hating it. No idea why I started this. Plus, it's horrible to watch Crash get pummeled over the head with every box I miss in a level. It's like I already feel bad for missing something, but now I have to watch the poor guy suffer because of my mistake. Why do you do this to me, game!?

Purple carrot is looking likely. I've never been very good at platformers and these controls feel a little slippery. I totally get what you mean about the depth perception issue.

I love platformers, but I'm terrible at them. Guess that makes us masochists? Once you finish the first game, the next two should be a cake-walk (Or so I've heard) The trophy list for the trilogy sound like something you'd expect from Dark Souls. There are 4 or 5 trophies with the description "Die". 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Avalynch said:

I love platformers, but I'm terrible at them. Guess that makes us masochists? Once you finish the first game, the next two should be a cake-walk (Or so I've heard) The trophy list for the trilogy sound like something you'd expect from Dark Souls. There are 4 or 5 trophies with the description "Die". 

I finished the first game! With about 15 minutes to spare. We won't have any time to spare come September!

And yeah, I think this is going to be a lot like Dark Souls. The only difference is I never really got frustrated with Dark Souls like I have this game. I had to farm 99 lives just to have a chance on The High Road, and I still almost lost. We'll try to finish the whole trilogy soon, but for now, I think it's time to prepare for the thirteen scariest games of all-time! The day of reckoning is almost upon us.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Soneto said:

Good luck

Thanks so much!

OK, so I was originally going to write a little story to go along with this event, but I'm worried I won't have time to do that and complete all of these games by Halloween. Since this is my first time doing an event like this, I think we'll just stick to basics for now. I'll still try to keep it entertaining, though! And spoiler-free, obviously.

Game #1 - THE ESCAPISTS: THE WALKING DEAD (0/25 trophies)

(Disclaimer: I've never seen The Walking Dead.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Thanks so much!

OK, so I was originally going to write a little story to go along with this event, but I'm worried I won't have time to do that and complete all of these games by Halloween. Since this is my first time doing an event like this, I think we'll just stick to basics for now. I'll still try to keep it entertaining, though! And spoiler-free, obviously.

Game #1 - THE ESCAPISTS: THE WALKING DEAD (0/25 trophies)

(Disclaimer: I've never seen The Walking Dead.)

I have owned that for like a year and still haven't started it, curious to hear your thoughts on it

• Like 2

On 9/1/2017 at 7:50 PM, StingX2 said:

I have owned that for like a year and still haven't started it, curious to hear your thoughts on it

Have you played the original game? This one is very similar, but easier and more straightforward. Honestly, it feels more like an expansion pack than a separate game. You're generally free to do whatever you want, the zombies aren't very dangerous (once you upgrade your skills, which only takes a few minutes), and the whole game feels much shorter. I'm already on the last mission and could have finished it tonight, but I want to find all of the collectibles first.

I like games that involve micromanagement, but I found The Escapists was too redundant to be fun for very long. It also sucks that you can only save the game at the beginning of each day. Because you generally don't make your escape until nighttime, you end up having to wait through an entire day every time you get caught during the escape and have to reset the game (which you'll want to do, as getting caught means you lose everything). The Escapists: TWD does away with both of these problems, so I think it's a slightly more fun game, but it doesn't feel nearly as fleshed out as the original. I guess it just depends what you like.

Heh... fleshed out... Because zombies.

Progress on September 1, 2017:

The Escapists: The Walking Dead - 14 trophies

Overall progress

1. The Escapists: The Walking Dead (14/25)
Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

A hugely successful day! Thanks to my amazing partners, I was able to defeat Spooky Squash on the hardest difficulty in Plants vs. Zombies: GW2. That was really the only trophy that was holding me back from the 100%. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for the next mystery portal (September 7-11) so that I can unlock another rainbow chest and hopefully get my last key. Oh, and I still have to do a few more of those stupid "epic" quests that only appear like once every couple of weeks.

In other spooky-related news, The Escapists: TWD is ready to platinum! It was a very short game, and much easier than the original. The DLC was a little harder, but only because I had to do the first mission without an Explosive Minigun. Once I got one in the later missions, I was unstoppable. The last trophy I'm going to earn in the game is one that requires killing a zombie...with a trophy. I thought that was fitting. See you on Halloween, zombie.

For my next game, I thought I'd finish up the Metro series. I played Metro: 2033 Redux over the summer and it was pretty fun. It's not really scary...but then again, neither was The Escapists: TWD. I guess we'll save the nightmare-inducing games for October.

Game #2 - METRO: LAST LIGHT REDUX (6/50 trophies)

Progress on September 2, 2017:

The Escapists: The Walking Dead - 9 trophies

Metro: Last Light Redux - 6 trophies

Overall progress

1. The Escapists: The Walking Dead (23/25) **READY TO PLAT**
  2. Metro: Last Light Redux (6/50)
Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

I changed my mind. This game is terrifying. There are GIANT SPIDERS everywhere. *shudders*

I think I'm about halfway through the game. It's not hard (probably because I'm playing on the easiest difficulty like a coward), but I'm running into the same problem that I ran into with Metro 2033: running out of air filters on the surface. I had to fight a boss on the surface who broke my gas mask, which was useless anyway, and just BARELY made it out of the level alive. My dude was gasping for his last breath when the screen went dark. Thought for sure I was dead, but then I saw the auto-save feature. Now we can both breathe easier.

Progress on September 3, 2017:

Metro: Last Light Redux - 12 trophies

Overall progress

1. The Escapists: The Walking Dead (23/25) **READY TO PLAT**
  2. Metro: Last Light Redux (18/50)

• Like 1

Wow man, you are doing great with your Trophy Checklist Blog Thing. I was thinking about doing one myself but that requires a lot of time and commitment. Which I have none. Plus, doing a checklist for 120 plats alone is a chore. But who knows, maybe one day...

I loved both Metro games. However, I just could not get through the Tower Chapter, which is a DLC on a PS3 version. There is a glitch to do it easily though. Don't know if you'd like to use it, but I would if I were to platinum it once more. I could not get through the first (easiest) level. There are mutants on later stages. I thought I just don't care about finishing it legitemately. 

Good luck Cassylvania, keep doing what you're doing. I love these little stories you make with every post. The way you write just makes these post really pleasant to read ;)

• Like 2

Burns the carrot patch.

Giant spiders are not welcome! ? I agree with Rocky, these posts are fun to read.

And because I'm too lazy to start my own version of this thread (Not like I have much to post), I'll be posting whatever I want in here ? ehehe. Completed a second playthrough of Until Dawn today, and replayed the last chapter for the 'Instant Inferno' trophy. Finding the 2 collectibles I missed the first time around. The 'everyone lives' playthrough was much more enjoyable than the 'everyone dies' playthrough. Lighting up the lodge while everyone is still inside (On an otherwise 'everyone lives' save file) is so satisfying though.

Finished the main story, and began the DLC for Never Alone. Ran into a glitch where the fox was endlessly dying at a checkpoint (constantly drowning ?), hopefully when I start playing again it'll fix itself, but it would only take 40~ minutes to get back to that point if I had to restart. Not a big deal. I love the wind mechanic, and chase sequences, it's up there as one of my favorite 2D platformers.

• Like 1

@RockyJokerPL Thanks so much! I have heard about the difficulty with the Tower level. I've also heard it's much easier on the PS4 version, so maybe I'll get lucky and won't need the glitch. Or maybe I'll suffer through it legitimately and come out the other side a better person, because I'm hardcore like that. ?

Just kidding. I'll probably cry.

@Avalynch There's enough room in the carrot patch for everyone! We'll put you in charge of the pumpkins. Can't grow carrots all year round, you know? Just no planting Spooky Squash. I've had enough of his shenanigans.

Until Dawn is totally one of my favorite games. I played it on Halloween last year! I agree that saving everybody is a better ending. What I really like, though, is that you don't really need a guide to get that ending. All the choices you have to make are reasonable or sane, unlike some games, where you have to do some obscure things in a very specific order to get the best ending.

I also played Never Alone on my old account. I think I still have access to it, if I re-activate PS+ on that account. I probably should do that someday, since it would be a lot cheaper than buying some of those games again. But yeah, that was a platformer I could get behind. Or on top of. Because it's a platform. But that sounds weird.

I don't think I did the DLC, though.

• Like 1