Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

Glad you guys enjoyed that ridiculous story. That sectopod section had me stumped for a while because Jens kept dying. Guess the AI is programmed to always target the volunteer if they're in range. Good to know...

Up next will be my Impossible playthrough, which I'll spare you from experiencing with me. It's mostly just going to be a lot of reloading earlier saves and cussing. I'll still do the latter. But I'm in no rush, because we have other games to get to! Like Bubsy. Stupid, stupid Bubsy.

10 minutes ago, Spaz said:

You guys know any good RTS (Real Time Strategy), city builder games?

Well, you could play Cities: Skylines. It's got a good amount of content, some fairly in-depth game mechanics, and is way better than the most recent version of SimCity. The trophies suck (mostly for being time-consuming), but it should scratch that itch.

Any of the Civ games are good too, but I don't think any of them are on console.

Tropico 5 is good. So is Port Royale 3. Both of them have a lot of DLC, though, so maybe try to get the complete edition... Tropico 6 comes out this year, I think.

You could look into Kingdom: New Lands. It's more action-oriented, but you build a city and try to protect it from monsters. Dragon Quest Builders is like that as well. And obviously Minecraft and Terraria, but they're sandbox games.

Haven't looked into these yet, but here are some others on my wish list: Aegis of Earth, Aven Colony, Castaway Paradise, and Surviving Mars.

...And then there's No Man's Sky... I think you can build...stuff...now...

13 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, you could play Cities: Skylines. It's got a good amount of content, some fairly in-depth game mechanics, and is way better than the most recent version of SimCity. The trophies suck (mostly for being time-consuming), but it should scratch that itch.

Any of the Civ games are good too, but I don't think any of them are on console.

Tropico 5 is good. So is Port Royale 3. Both of them have a lot of DLC, though, so maybe try to get the complete edition... Tropico 6 comes out this year, I think.

You could look into Kingdom: New Lands. It's more action-oriented, but you build a city and try to protect it from monsters. Dragon Quest Builders is like that as well. And obviously Minecraft and Terraria, but they're sandbox games.

Haven't looked into these yet, but here are some others on my wish list: Aegis of Earth, Aven Colony, Castaway Paradise, and Surviving Mars.

...And then there's No Man's Sky... I think you can build...stuff...now...

All good choices...

Yeah I asked this question because you were playing Cities: Skylines.

There's actually a railroad strategy game that has spiked my interest but I don't remember what it is and it's pretty obscure. I think it's less than 1000 game owners or it may of just passed that threshold. Not many people at all who have it.

There's a Civ game on the Vita, but I'm not sure about that one. The Civilization games have far too many commands and options for all that to be put onto a controller. I actually played Civilization 5 not too long ago and I may pick up Civilization 6 on Steam at some point. I generally wait until the expansions/DLC are released because by then most of the glitches and bugs are ironed out.

Tropico 5 and Port Royale 3 are good.

I actually enjoy sandbox games, dungeon crawlers are another genre I enjoy.

No Man's Sky is........... I don't know. Been putting that off for a while since Sean Murray went missing at the time the controversy had started. Maybe it's a much better game now?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, Cassylvania said:

Do NOT play with the DLC. (And a whole lot more!)

Thank you very much for the help. That does clear up quite a few of my questions. Part of the reason I may switch off of Vita playing is due to the traps. I walked over several of them and I could never see them. I think an icon might have popped above my head signifying a trap and maybe that is when I should do the rogue thing...but I was moving too fast. One interesting dynamic so far has been the dead body left on the ground after killing them. You need to attack the dead body to get it out of the way or wait until it decays.

So far so good. I put it on pause for a week or so though since I can't use it in the TTIHAG and am playing Papers, Please for my none platinum game. The trophy guide says about 9 hours so hopefully I can get this one done pretty quick. It's actually pretty interesting...it's not at all what I was expecting, but it's 1982 graphics with some interesting puzzles and you need really good attention to detail. I didn't think I was going to like it at first, but I'm on day 9 and it's getting more fun now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I saw that you had to defend one of your selections as well...in my case I don't care since they are all games I am going to play anyways...but I've been surprised by the amount of scrutiny some of the selections have been under. 

On 1/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, Cassylvania said:

The PSNP Bros have come out victorious against the alien scum! Allow me to recount our tale...

Well done :) That was a fun read lol It's no surprise that Brady was the G.O.A.T. but out of curiosity, was he not a colonel? I'm surprised you even needed Kent to finish off the boss with a shotgun blast. In my runs, both of my snipers had double tap and usually it only took 3 shots to kill him since at least one shot always seemed to be critical. Your scenario made for a much more interesting story, but I'm happy my strategy seemed to work for you! Was it easier that way?

You didn't do the Ironman run this round I take it? You're not going to attempt that on Impossible are you :) I did my Ironman run during my Classic difficulty run. I think I did Normal -> Classic (Ironman) -> Impossible -> Easy -> Easy to finish up all five starting spots. We still need a rematch btw at some point ;) Tom Berenger is getting an itchy trigger finger.

Up next will be my Impossible playthrough, which I'll spare you from experiencing with me.

Boo!! We only get one season of The PSNP Bros? Hopefully the DVD sales are good enough that the producers decide to bring that series back.

• Like 1

Hi all!

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

There's actually a railroad strategy game that has spiked my interest but I don't remember what it is and it's pretty obscure. I think it's less than 1000 game owners or it may of just passed that threshold. Not many people at all who have it.

This game that you've been referring to may be Railroad Empire, although it has more than a 1000 owners on this site (1670 to be exact). I had been eyeing this game ever since it was announced but 60 dollars on release seemed steep, then a couple of months ago I bought it bundled with Burnout Paradise Remastered for the equivalent of about 15 bucks each, which was definitely a more acceptable price ;) I was eager to play this game because I can still remember endless hours spent playing Transport Tycoon back in the late 90s and on first impression the game looks very neat and well-designed. Also, it seems that the devs listen to the community and they've made beneficial changes to the game after release (that's what I read somewhere). Finally, they keep making DLCs with interesting content (again, from what I've read), although the DLCs are quite pricey and they haven't gone on sale yet. Having said all that, I can't really say much more about the game itself as I haven't yet given it much "proper" gaming time. I've attempted playing it twice and I got a few trophies, but it's one of these games that require quite a bit of commitment (mostly time commitment) and I'm still waiting for the right time to start playing it properly. Seeing that I also started God of War (well, I am 15 minutes into it :D) and continue playing Trials Fusion in anticipation of Trials Rising next month, it may be a while before I can be more articulate about Railroad Empire, but it definitely looks like a fairly polished game right now with every trophy fully obtainable and no multiplayer - I know you take that as a good thing ;)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

No Man's Sky is........... I don't know. Been putting that off for a while since Sean Murray went missing at the time the controversy had started. Maybe it's a much better game now?

Supposedly, it's a real game now. I have extremely mixed feelings about NMS. While I initially said I hated it, I actually found a lot of things about the game -- the ORIGINAL game -- cathartic. The problem was it grew stale too fast, but for somebody who likes multi-tasking and gains a sense of satisfaction in crossing things off a checklist, it was actually a lot of fun for the first 20-30 hours. Many sim games are like that, including Cities: Skylines.

I think I've seen that roller coaster game you're talking about too. Can't remember the name. But honestly, you're better off playing those kinds of things on PC. More selection and better gameplay.

3 hours ago, Briste said:

Thank you very much for the help. That does clear up quite a few of my questions. Part of the reason I may switch off of Vita playing is due to the traps. I walked over several of them and I could never see them. I think an icon might have popped above my head signifying a trap and maybe that is when I should do the rogue thing...but I was moving too fast. One interesting dynamic so far has been the dead body left on the ground after killing them. You need to attack the dead body to get it out of the way or wait until it decays.

When you get done with your first playthrough (or if you're bored), check out the postmortem of Darkest D on YouTube. The guy talks a lot about the design of the game, and in particular that corpse mechanic. When it was first introduced, players HATED it, and the developers seriously considered removing it due to backlash. As someone who only played the game after the fact, I can't imagine the game without it. Actually, I CAN, because there's an option to turn it off (I think it negates a trophy, though), and it ruins some of the best strategic elements of the game. You're constantly having to decide whether it's better to keep attacking the enemies or to clear the corpses so you can reach them more easily and/or break their positioning.

For the traps, you really should rely on the mini map more than the actual screen. That's probably SUPER tiny on the Vita.

So far so good. I put it on pause for a week or so though since I can't use it in the TTIHAG and am playing Papers, Please for my none platinum game. The trophy guide says about 9 hours so hopefully I can get this one done pretty quick. It's actually pretty interesting...it's not at all what I was expecting, but it's 1982 graphics with some interesting puzzles and you need really good attention to detail. I didn't think I was going to like it at first, but I'm on day 9 and it's getting more fun now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I saw that you had to defend one of your selections as well...in my case I don't care since they are all games I am going to play anyways...but I've been surprised by the amount of scrutiny some of the selections have been under. 

I didn't even consider that Hidden Agenda wouldn't count as a multiplayer game. In fact, the main reason I wanted to move it was because I thought it was a poor selection for a peripheral-based game. The game was designed SPECIFICALLY for group play, as every other gameplay mechanic (QTEs, dialogue options, and hidden objects) could've been done with a PS4 controller. The only reason a smart device is necessary is because the game gives players "hidden agendas" that other players aren't allowed to see. And really, there are other ways to get around screen peekers, as this was a problem way back in the 90's...

Well done :) That was a fun read lol It's no surprise that Brady was the G.O.A.T. but out of curiosity, was he not a colonel? I'm surprised you even needed Kent to finish off the boss with a shotgun blast. In my runs, both of my snipers had double tap and usually it only took 3 shots to kill him since at least one shot always seemed to be critical. Your scenario made for a much more interesting story, but I'm happy my strategy seemed to work for you! Was it easier that way?

You didn't do the Ironman run this round I take it? You're not going to attempt that on Impossible are you :) I did my Ironman run during my Classic difficulty run. I think I did Normal -> Classic (Ironman) -> Impossible -> Easy -> Easy to finish up all five starting spots. We still need a rematch btw at some point ;) Tom Berenger is getting an itchy trigger finger.

Brady was a Colonel, but I went with In the Zone, as it works well with my destroy-cover-and-kill-everybody approach to most levels. A.J. wasn't even close to reaching max rank. I'll try two Double Tap snipers on my next playthrough...

No way in hell am I doing an I/I playthrough. Honestly, I hate Impossible, since it makes the game more about RNG than skill. I know some people have done it with zero causalities, but I can't imagine how many reloads that would take, from the first mission alone...

I'm going to do Impossible, an Easy speedrun with the DLC, and then an AUTHENTIC Classic Ironman (no USB trick) to wrap it up.

Yeah, yeah.. Multiplayer... Joy...

I kinda wish I had made all of PSNP Bros like that last post.

1 hour ago, det_gittes said:

This game that you've been referring to may be Railroad Empire, although it has more than a 1000 owners on this site (1670 to be exact). I had been eyeing this game ever since it was announced but 60 dollars on release seemed steep, then a couple of months ago I bought it bundled with Burnout Paradise Remastered for the equivalent of about 15 bucks each, which was definitely a more acceptable price ;) I was eager to play this game because I can still remember endless hours spent playing Transport Tycoon back in the late 90s and on first impression the game looks very neat and well-designed. Also, it seems that the devs listen to the community and they've made beneficial changes to the game after release (that's what I read somewhere). Finally, they keep making DLCs with interesting content (again, from what I've read), although the DLCs are quite pricey and they haven't gone on sale yet. Having said all that, I can't really say much more about the game itself as I haven't yet given it much "proper" gaming time. I've attempted playing it twice and I got a few trophies, but it's one of these games that require quite a bit of commitment (mostly time commitment) and I'm still waiting for the right time to start playing it properly. Seeing that I also started God of War (well, I am 15 minutes into it :D) and continue playing Trials Fusion in anticipation of Trials Rising next month, it may be a while before I can be more articulate about Railroad Empire, but it definitely looks like a fairly polished game right now with every trophy fully obtainable and no multiplayer - I know you take that as a good thing ;)

Oh, that's the name! Good job.

Could be a fun one to try out. I'll watch a couple reviews or Let's Plays. Sims have always been my favorite genre, and they're so poorly represented on consoles...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, det_gittes said:

As long as it's good what does it matter if it has a crap load of DLC?

My cousin who is older than me used to play Transport Tycoon. Actually had the disc burned back when burning discs were a thing so he wouldn't have to pay for a copy of the game.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

As long as it's good what does it matter if it has a crap load of DLC?

Well, DLC can be expensive. That's why I'm kinda waiting on Tomb Raider and Spider-Man, because I think I'd rather just buy a complete edition than shell out for 5+ DLC packs.

So, I've been chipping away at XCOM and Cities all weekend. Mostly by just leaving my consoles on and playing a mission every now and then on XCOM. THREE Cities trophies popped, but not 1001 Nights or What the...?. I might have to start leaving the PS4 on overnight.

I gotta say... The one thing I didn't talk about was the PS3 controller that came with this console. I was a little annoyed with it in the beginning because a couple of the buttons are a bit sticky, but the battery on this thing is unbelievable. I don't think it can die. I'm actively leaving it on all day, even when I'm not in the room, and the bar is STILL full. It's TAUNTING my PS4 controllers, which need charged daily. If this thing were an XCOM soldier, the aliens would have already forfeited. If this thing were in The Expendables 4, you wouldn't even need the rest of the cast. Just put the PS3 controller on the screen and all the bad guys' heads would explode, like that scene in Kingsman.

My mind...is blown.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, DLC can be expensive. That's why I'm kinda waiting on Tomb Raider and Spider-Man, because I think I'd rather just buy a complete edition than shell out for 5+ DLC packs.

I was going to wait for Spider-Man's DLC, but honestly, the combat gets extremely frustrating, even on easy, later in the game, and the DLC is reputed to be much, much harder than the base game. I ultimately just ended up pawning off my physical copy because the main game was a good story in and of itself, and if I had to deal with even more broken group fights I would get at least mildly frustrated.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I gotta say... The one thing I didn't talk about was the PS3 controller that came with this console. I was a little annoyed with it in the beginning because a couple of the buttons are a bit sticky, but the battery on this thing is unbelievable. I don't think it can die. I'm actively leaving it on all day, even when I'm not in the room, and the bar is STILL full. It's TAUNTING my PS4 controllers, which need charged daily. If this thing were an XCOM soldier, the aliens would have already forfeited. If this thing were in The Expendables 4, you wouldn't even need the rest of the cast. Just put the PS3 controller on the screen and all the bad guys' heads would explode, like that scene in Kingsman.

My mind...is blown.

I never said buy DLC immediately. I waited over a year to get Fallout 4’s DLC at a discount. Still need to buy DLC for some games (Layers of Fear) but I’m going to wait on that. 

Yeah, PS3 controllers last at least 4X times as long as PS4 controllers. That’s because PS4 controllers have that touchpad and light which drains a lot of battery. 

Sounds like you haven’t used a PS3 controller in years. I don’t like the two sticks being so close to each other where you’re literally touching your thumbs, but it’s otherwise pretty solid. 

3 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I was going to wait for Spider-Man's DLC, but honestly, the combat gets extremely frustrating, even on easy, later in the game, and the DLC is reputed to be much, much harder than the base game. I ultimately just ended up pawning off my physical copy because the main game was a good story in and of itself, and if I had to deal with even more broken group fights I would get at least mildly frustrated.

Good. That means not everyone can blow through the DLC. 

I don’t know but I get a sense of pride for being one of the few who has completed all the DLC. 

Batman: Arkham Knight has those Community Challenges that are not easy. People like yourself would likely give up on that, it took me months to build up the courage to go after those trophies because I am not good at freeflow challenges. 

I’m looking forward to the Spider-Man DLC.

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Batman: Arkham Knight has those Community Challenges that are not easy. People like yourself would likely give up on that, it took me months to build up the courage to go after those trophies because I am not good at freeflow challenges. 

I’m looking forward to the Spider-Man DLC.

It really depends on the game - games which are hard but fair, like, say, Super Meat Boy, or the Trackmania series I absolutely adore. On the other hand, being stuck in a group fight with ~10-20 and constantly slipping up due to imprecise controls (namely when trying to rip off turrets / kick to specific enemies) is just irritating. Not that the fights were particularly hard, just frustrating and repetitive. In the end I started just spamming spider drones so that I didn't actually have to fight any enemies.

22 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It really depends on the game - games which are hard but fair, like, say, Super Meat Boy, or the Trackmania series I absolutely adore. On the other hand, being stuck in a group fight with ~10-20 and constantly slipping up due to imprecise controls (namely when trying to rip off turrets / kick to specific enemies) is just irritating. Not that the fights were particularly hard, just frustrating and repetitive. In the end I started just spamming spider drones so that I didn't actually have to fight any enemies.

Super Meat Boy is still very difficult. Though I may have to go after another game because too many people have been getting that platinum lately.

I am not good at fighting games. You will never see me platinum Street Fighter 4 or 5 for instance. Even the 30th Anniversary Collection is tough because you have to be good in online matches.

However I'm thinking of picking up Tekken 7, and maybe Titanfall 2. If there's a fighting series I can do okay in, it's Tekken.

44 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I am not good at fighting games. You will never see me platinum Street Fighter 4 or 5 for instance. Even the 30th Anniversary Collection is tough because you have to be good in online matches.

Yuck. Fighting games. I can't think of a genre I'm less interested in. Injustice was fun (for a while), but it's not something I'd ever want to put 100+ hours in to get good at, let alone 100%. In fact, that's why I don't like multiplayer games in general, I think. They typically don't become fun until you're proficient enough to be good at them, and the time it takes to get there just isn't worth it for me.

Not sure why Smash Bros feels so different. I think it's just better game design. Every time I go to play that game, no matter how much time has passed since I last played, it only takes me a few seconds to remember the controls (usually the throw button) and I'm right back to where I left off. That's what I'm looking for in a multiplayer game.

Of course, I realize people who play those kinds of games religiously might want more complex fighting mechanics.

ANYWAY, remember how I said I was going to wait a while before beginning my Impossible XCOM playthrough? Yeah, I lied. Also, I beat it. You can see my stats below.

PROGRESS ON XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN (PLAYTHROUGH 3/5: ALIEN SCUM VS. SAVE SCUM)

Ben “Downward Dog” Dunn (Heavy) (Kills: 50)

Chase “[CENSORED]” Collins (Support) (Kills: 29)

Ciara “Boobs” O’Doherty (Sniper) (Kills: 33)

David Hamilton (Support) (Kills: 2)

Lars “Fridge” Fontaine (Heavy) Kills: 37)

Luca “The Barber” Moletta (Sniper) (Kills: 61)

Juan Carlos “J.C.” Hernandez (Assault) (Kills: 32)

Katsume “Katana” Murakami (Support) (Kills: 4)

Kwasi Kotsi (Support) (Kills: 2)

Neal “Rookie” Barnes (Assault) (Kills: 15)

Patrice “Girl’s Name” Simon (Heavy) (Kills: 17)

Saman Rangan (Kills: 1)

MISSION: COMPLETE

RNG screwed me over once again, giving me only ONE female soldier. Fortunately, she ended up being one of my better units, and even got the kill shot on the final boss. I really didn't have time to level up most of my units on this playthrough, and I think I have over 200 backup save slots. I actually ended up having to revert back to an earlier save in mid-June because I screwed myself over with satellite coverage. I had JUST enough time and resources to prevent a game over. Probably should've tried to save more countries earlier on... 

Okay. For sure now, we're done with XCOM for a while. Yes, it'd be cool to make it into the top 50 fastest achievers list, but too much of a good thing is a bad thing. Case in point: Chipotle. You know it's true.

I suppose I've put off that bobcat long enough...

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yuck. Fighting games. I can't think of a genre I'm less interested in. Injustice was fun (for a while), but it's not something I'd ever want to put 100+ hours in to get good at, let alone 100%. In fact, that's why I don't like multiplayer games in general, I think. They typically don't become fun until you're proficient enough to be good at them, and the time it takes to get there just isn't worth it for me.

Don't assume all multiplayer games are like that.

Understandably I can see why you may not platinum Red Dead Redemption 2. Titanfall 2 and Tekken 7 both have very easy multiplayer trophies, which I am completely happy with since neither take much effort. The Gauntlet trophy in Titanfall 2 is probably a different story however.

52 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Not sure why Smash Bros feels so different. I think it's just better game design. Every time I go to play that game, no matter how much time has passed since I last played, it only takes me a few seconds to remember the controls (usually the throw button) and I'm right back to where I left off. That's what I'm looking for in a multiplayer game.

I mean, Smash is barely a fighting game, really. I'd say it's its own genre, like, more of a party brawler? It doesn't have any combos or anything, just directional attacks / specials. Plus there's a lot of mobility that most fighting games just don't have. I'd say Smash is more reflexive, whereas most fighting games come down to muscle memory.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I'll play fighting games but only for their SP modes.  MP isn't really my sort of thing either.  Getting good enough to stay afloat in MP takes more time than I care to spend with a certain game.  For FPS, I'll stick to the campaign modes.  That's the reason I passed on CoD: Black Ops IIII.  What a disappointment, because Treyarch is one of my favorite developers.  Beside some of CoD's best campaigns, they're also responsible for that good 007: Quantum of Solace game.

Honestly I think SP & MP modes of a game should be treated as separate games, each having its own trophy list & platinum.

1 hour ago, gameoverDude189 said:

Honestly I think SP & MP modes of a game should be treated as separate games, each having its own trophy list & platinum.

That'd be nice. I'd just prefer SP games keeping to SP content, and MP games keeping to MP content. There have been too many games over the past decade or so that have poured precious resources into a MP mode that really doesn't belong in a SP game. (Spec Ops: The Line is a good example, which I might get to soon.)

Anyway, I beat Bubsy. What's that, you say? I literally just said I was going to begin the game two hours ago? Yeah, that's how short it is. Also, it sucks. Every level has HUNDREDS of these stupid yarn balls that seem to have no purpose, but you better believe they're tied to an achievement. You also get the pleasure of playing through every level without dying for another trophy. That wouldn't be so bad, except Bubsy's controls suck, and I honestly can't tell half the time if he's going to land on an enemy or get hurt. You're better off doing this weird pounce attack that can just as easily backfire and send you careening off a cliff or into a falling boulder or stop you juuust short of the enemy, who kills Bubsy in one hit. If only this series was so easy to kill. Who asked for this game? Who honestly thought Bubsy would make a good mascot? And why did I rent a GameFly rental on this when I could be playing through RE4 on Professional Mode and getting my ass kicked by something other than an annoying bobcat wearing a giant exclamation mark on his shirt? I give this game zero points and I'd like to like to ship the disc back in a barf bag and see if the people at GameFly can even tell the difference.

Shit. I still gotta get all the collectibles.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

That'd be nice. I'd just prefer SP games keeping to SP content, and MP games keeping to MP content. There have been too many games over the past decade or so that have poured precious resources into a MP mode that really doesn't belong in a SP game. (Spec Ops: The Line is a good example, which I might get to soon.)

Anyway, I beat Bubsy. What's that, you say? I literally just said I was going to begin the game two hours ago? Yeah, that's how short it is. Also, it sucks. Every level has HUNDREDS of these stupid yarn balls that seem to have no purpose, but you better believe they're tied to an achievement. You also get the pleasure of playing through every level without dying for another trophy. That wouldn't be so bad, except Bubsy's controls suck, and I honestly can't tell half the time if he's going to land on an enemy or get hurt. You're better off doing this weird pounce attack that can just as easily backfire and send you careening off a cliff or into a falling boulder or stop you juuust short of the enemy, who kills Bubsy in one hit. If only this series was so easy to kill. Who asked for this game? Who honestly thought Bubsy would make a good mascot? And why did I rent a GameFly rental on this when I could be playing through RE4 on Professional Mode and getting my ass kicked by something other than an annoying bobcat wearing a giant exclamation mark on his shirt? I give this game zero points and I'd like to like to ship the disc back in a barf bag and see if the people at GameFly can even tell the difference.

Shit. I still gotta get all the collectibles.

Man, you did the new Bubsy? Braver than me. I always remembered the original to be a bit of a slog, and it sounds like this one was no different. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

I mean, Smash is barely a fighting game, really. I'd say it's its own genre, like, more of a party brawler? It doesn't have any combos or anything, just directional attacks / specials. Plus there's a lot of mobility that most fighting games just don't have. I'd say Smash is more reflexive, whereas most fighting games come down to muscle memory.

Smash isn't a real fighting game.

The fighting genre is basically where you learn the various movements and movesets of various fighters. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and Tekken are the main fighting franchises. They can be extremely difficult especially if you were to learn super moves from say Street Fighter.

The Smash Bros games are more of a casual brawler. Using B forward special or smash forward A barely constitutes as muscle memory. A 5 year old kid can pull off those moves.

I may buy the Switch if the price goes down a bit, if only to buy a few games. The newest Smash Bros title, the latest Zelda game and of course Mario Kart. I've always enjoyed some Mario Kart.

8 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

I'll play fighting games but only for their SP modes.  MP isn't really my sort of thing either.  Getting good enough to stay afloat in MP takes more time than I care to spend with a certain game.  For FPS, I'll stick to the campaign modes.  That's the reason I passed on CoD: Black Ops IIII.  What a disappointment, because Treyarch is one of my favorite developers.  Beside some of CoD's best campaigns, they're also responsible for that good 007: Quantum of Solace game.

Call of Duty's selling point was always the multiplayer. That's how it's been for the past decade since Modern Warfare 2 was released.

I'm not surprised Black Ops 4 is multiplayer only. The Battlefield series is successful mostly because of it's multiplayer, most people aren't going to bother with anything else. Destiny 1 and 2 are both FPS and multiplayer only. Single player campaigns generally don't cut it at this point.

Honestly, we're not the main audience, because us trophy hunters are a minority. I basically do my research on most games weeks in advance and if it looks like a multiplayer only type of game with microtransactions I skip them. They're not worth my time.

Quantum of Solace was also multiplayer heavy with trophies.

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

It hasn't been bad these past few years.

The PS3 generation had a TON of games with tacked on multiplayer, and their trophy lists reflected that. So far this generation it hasn't been that bad.

I take it you grew up on Bubsy. The PS1 game is generally considered to be one of the worst games in the Playstation 1 library.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

I may buy the Switch if the price goes down a bit, if only to buy a few games. The newest Smash Bros title, the latest Zelda game and of course Mario Kart. I've always enjoyed some Mario Kart.

That's about my feelings on the matter. I'd like to play Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, maybe Mario Kart 8 again, Smash... but I can't stomach paying 50-60$ for games, and Nintendo games seem to never drop in price. Literally never. Every time I check Target / Gamestop they're expensive as shit.

Maybe I'll look into a Switch once Nintendo learns what a holiday sale is...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, LimitedTimeGamer said:

Man, you did the new Bubsy? Braver than me. I always remembered the original to be a bit of a slog, and it sounds like this one was no different. 

I needed a crappy game for...both of the community events I'm in, actually. I couldn't think of anything crappier than Bubsy. Fortunately, it's short, and the platforming isn't THAT bad. It's mostly his awkward jump animation that makes landing on enemies a gamble.

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

Honestly, we're not the main audience, because us trophy hunters are a minority. I basically do my research on most games weeks in advance and if it looks like a multiplayer only type of game with microtransactions I skip them. They're not worth my time.

I'm always looking for ways to cross games off my wish list. One of the very first things I do is see if the game has online multiplayer. If it does, I'll usually pass, unless it comes highly recommended or is something I'm extremely interested in.

Probably the reason I waited so long to get into RE, and why I keep avoiding Far Cry.

5 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

That's about my feelings on the matter. I'd like to play Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, maybe Mario Kart 8 again, Smash... but I can't stomach paying 50-60$ for games, and Nintendo games seem to never drop in price. Literally never. Every time I check Target / Gamestop they're expensive as shit.

Yeah, that's true. BotW is still too much, and that was a launch title. But at least you're getting your money's worth when it comes to most Nintendo products (assuming you like the multiplayer components of Mario Kart/Smash/Splatoon). The jury is still out on Let's Go Eevee. I really need to put more time into that...

Well, update time, I guess. My only goal tonight is to finish Bubsy so I can ship the shit back to GameFly and cancel my subscription forever. Or at least until I run out of other games to play. I think we have more than enough to keep me occupied through February... RE4 on Professional, Arkham City's DLC, two more XCOM playthroughs, a bunch of new PS3 games, and Guac, which I guess got pushed to the side because of everything else I've been working on.

I'm glad TTIHAG is a three-month long event, because I'll barely have two games finished by the end of the first month. Hooray for Hidden Agenda and Bubsy, which I've spent a collective 7 hours on...

I give me a D- on my January performance.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Exclusives are what’s keeping Nintendo above water.

Everything else I can just pick up through PSN or on Steam. 

5 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm always looking for ways to cross games off my wish list. One of the very first things I do is see if the game has online multiplayer. If it does, I'll usually pass, unless it comes highly recommended or is something I'm extremely interested in.

Probably the reason I waited so long to get into RE, and why I keep avoiding Far Cry.

Precisely why I don’t play Destiny 2 or Star Wars Battlefront 2. Battlefield V and Call of Duty Black Ops 4 don’t interest me either. 

I do however have Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. But it’ll like end up on my list of dropped games, since it’s unlikely I’ll get all the trophies.

The main reason I don’t play them is because I have bad internet. Which sucks greatly. It can’t handle big multiplayer matches like the ones you see in Battlefield V. 

If I were you I would get Far Cry 3 Classic Edition. Has no online and the game itself is enjoyable. I played the original on the 360 and it’s well worth playing. 

AVOID Far Cry 2 at all costs. Those online trophies are not worth it. Far Cry 4 and 5 both have easy online trophies, but you probably need to boost those. 

I sort of enjoyed Far Cry Primal, but it ultimately ended up being a bit boring. Not sure about Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. 

Let me know about the Arkham City Challenges, especially the DLC. Been wanting to get the game done for a good while now.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 8:52 PM, Spaz said:

Let me know about the Arkham City Challenges, especially the DLC. Been wanting to get the game done for a good while now.

I'll be taking on Harley Quinn's DLC in a couple weeks. The rest will have to wait until later in the year. I'm spacing out my Batman!

So, in addition to being greeted to the coldest morning on record in a while, I logged on to Cities and popped a trophy that apparently doesn't exist. I assume the new DLC just hasn't been updated to the main site yet, but it was a nice surprise from a game that hasn't been very generous with the trophies lately. (The poor people of Chirpnado Alley have had SO many natural disasters bombard their city in hopes of seeing that elusive blue twister.)

As for Far Cry... The only one I played so far is Primal, which I liked, but not really for the FPS aspect. I've just always liked the idea of collecting berries in a video game. More games need to center around survival. Once you start introducing guns and it's all about headshots, you got yourself every other game on the market. Yuck.

I'm down for some Far Cry 4 or 5, though. And maybe that new one? And holy crap, I just checked the new games list (to see what that game is called) and there's ANOTHER Atelier? Are they trying to set the record for most games in a series?

And to think I was worried about starting Resident Evil and Kingdom Hearts because of all the sequels and spin-offs...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'll be taking on Harley Quinn's DLC in a couple weeks. The rest will have to wait until later in the year. I'm spacing out my Batman!

I completely understand.

I had to space out Batman: Arkham Knight because those community challenges were pissing me the hell off. I felt like I was getting absolutely nowhere with The Curtain Falls, then it just clicked. Still nerve wrecking as fuck, having to play four characters where you not only needed to keep the combo during the entire wave, but not get hit either? You couldn't get hit in Crime Alley either, and those bastards with the guns usually got me in the 3rd/4th rounds. Then when I focused on those assholes those big ass brutes got me. So frustrating. Arkham Knight is probably one of my proudest 100 percents, took a lot of work to get all 110 trophies.

At least, until I platinum Super Meat Boy. But right now I'm too lazy to practice for hours and hours on end for those last two no death runs.

So, in addition to being greeted to the coldest morning on record in a while, I logged on to Cities and popped a trophy that apparently doesn't exist. I assume the new DLC just hasn't been updated to the main site yet, but it was a nice surprise from a game that hasn't been very generous with the trophies lately. (The poor people of Chirpnado Alley have had SO many natural disasters bombard their city in hopes of seeing that elusive blue twister.)

More DLC. ?

If I'm going to pick up Cities at some point I will do it after all the DLC is out. I get irritated when I think I finish a game, then months later DLC comes out and I'm going "assholes, I deleted the game from my XMB, now I have to reinstall it again".

Speaking of DLC, I have Driveclub. Not sure about that game, since I haven't actually played through a racing game in ages.

As for Far Cry... The only one I played so far is Primal, which I liked, but not really for the FPS aspect. I've just always liked the idea of collecting berries in a video game. More games need to center around survival. Once you start introducing guns and it's all about headshots, you got yourself every other game on the market. Yuck.

I'm down for some Far Cry 4 or 5, though. And maybe that new one? And holy crap, I just checked the new games list (to see what that game is called) and there's ANOTHER Atelier? Are they trying to set the record for most games in a series?

The reason why I refuse to buy Destiny, Destiny 2, the new Call of Dutys and Battlefields.

I mean cmon, there's nothing special about most of these FPS. At least with Wolfenstein I'm killing Nazis and the protagonist is actually a guy I can get behind. With the Metro games I'm a young guy trying to survive in a post apocalyptic environment with opposing Nazis, Communists and mutated monstrosities like the librarians. The stories are based on the books and they're pretty good.

But fucking Call of Duty? Battlefield? It's the same shit over and over.

The Far Cry games I can sort of enjoy a bit more. Most Ubisoft games get boring after a while because of their trend of putting a shitload of collectibles in every title. Assassins Creed I can appreciate a little for their historical presence. I'm a big history nut so that is probably why they appeal to me more than your average Call of Duty garbage.

Far Cry 3 I will start pretty soon. It will be on the PS3 though, I'm not paying money just to play the PS4 version when I already had the game for over two years. The co-op trophies could be a real problem though.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

If I'm going to pick up Cities at some point I will do it after all the DLC is out. I get irritated when I think I finish a game, then months later DLC comes out and I'm going "assholes, I deleted the game from my XMB, now I have to reinstall it again".

Speaking of DLC, I have Driveclub. Not sure about that game, since I haven't actually played through a racing game in ages.

Mm... I've been wanting a good racing game for a long time. I'm worried they're going to be just like sports games, though, where the focus is on graphics and online play instead of, you know, actual gameplay. Driveclub looks good, though...

Not sure what's going on with Cities. The new DLC is not available to purchase yet, even though the trophies are there. Whatever they did, though, fixed the Frenetic Player bug, so I was finally able to get that crap to pop. I also got The Plowmaster (fittingly, on the coldest day ever), which brings our Shit Trophy Meter down to 2. The new DLC trophies look simple enough, but who knows?

So, I was finally able to get that PlayStation Journey 2018 thing to work. You know, that thing that stalks your gaming history and shows you your stats across the platform for the entire year. I'm not sure how accurate it is (spoiler: it's not), but I think you'll all get a good laugh about what my three most played games were:

1. Sims 4 - 219 hours
  2. Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix - 216 hours
  3. Fill-a-Pix: Phil's Epic Adventure - 134 hours

It should be noted that it's including all the KH games as "one" there, so I'm not even sure that should count. Unfortunately, I don't see any way to look past the top three, but let's not kid ourselves: it was obviously that damn cow scene in Harvest Moon: AWLSE at #4.

• Like 2