Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

On 4/4/2019 at 10:46 PM, Briste said:

FFXV just can't hold a candle to any of the predecessors in the series and I'm glad to finally be done with it.

That's why I put this game on my list of "Games I slapped myself for playing." :P I honestly feel like FFXV had a great story and potential (and my gym trainer buddy loved it) but it shot itself in the foot for being too long. I think, of the 5th Final Fantasy trilogy, sadly the one that I liked the best was the stupid MMO, FFXIV, because they fixed the whole system and rebooted the game completely. I played through the free trial and even got the starter pack and enjoyed it. Sadly, I should have stuck with one character, but I wanted to start in each town to see how the game story goes. I love each starting point. Maybe, when I can fix my SquareSoft account, I can go back and start over with the full $39.99 package and make a Lalafell Dark Knight. :D (My first Lalafell was actually the first character that got to confront the first Primal, Ifrit, and I loved how that story played out.)

Hopefully Square-Enix gets their stuff together and makes FFXVI a lot better.

23 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, I've been quiet this week because I'm on a mission to destroy the evil that is Cities: Skylines. I'm wondering if reloading my save every session is resetting my progress for the last two trophies. It's a little more annoying to keep the save file going because it forces you to fix all the damage caused by the endless barrage of natural disasters, but at least it makes it easier to keep track of how much time has passed since I started working on this garbage.

I am also trying to destroy a demon... Dragon Sinker. I really did enjoy this 8-bit RPG, it reminded me of Half-Minute Hero and other cool crap like that... I almost have the platinum... there's just one little girl, or ten girls, standing in my way. The Enah clan and their evil ritual circle of doom. I have to kill ten Enah girls for the final trophy... and they get stronger with each summon and start out strong. I got wiped on Enah #3 on my first attempt because I could only six-shot them. Then I got the best blade for the hero Prince Abram, who is the only option for doing enough damage to one-shot these demon girls... and I managed to coast until Enah #6, who was doing tons of damage and inflicting my characters with Idle, which halves your max HP. At #7, I was getting one-shotted(but all my heroes have the Revenant auto-skill which is like Second Chance in Kingdom Hearts, leaves you with 1 HP if you would get defeated by an attack) and eventually I gave up. Even with the Hell Blade that boosts Prince Abram to over 1000 ATK, I wasn't one-shotting. So now I find that I need at least 1800 ATK... and the only way to boost your attack permanently is by farming for crystals and leaving to get them exchanged in towns for Fragments, or by hopefully farming the final boss of the Divine Temple, who takes four shots from the Wyrm Destroyer(does 99999 damage to dragons) to kill and I have to throw up Magic Reflect to keep him from one-shotting my party with magic but he also uses an attack that can paralyze everyone. Then, you MIGHT get a Dream Fragment which boosts all stats by a tad. There is also a Dream Orb that gives a bigger boost... but you have to farm DRP(you get 5 DRP every three battles) and pay 1100 DRP to get 11 chances to get something good from the lottery.

Basically, I have to grind for moons to get Prince Abram fast and strong enough to one shot 10 demon girls. Goodbye gaming life until then. :(

I also got Bonds of the Skies, which has microtransactions as well. Will probably buy the 3x EXP for that just to max everyone out and get the trophies for those EXP challenges. Just fought a giant red dragon and it killed one of my characters and now the monsters are kicking my booty when before I could use autobattle and coast. Great 16-bit RPG thought, they have animated anime shots which is fun.

At least I finally finished up Pic-A-Pix Classic and got the plat for that.

23 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm also trying to learn Japanese. Random, I know, but it's something to do.

I might try to pick up French again. I enjoyed my French class in high school. ;)

• Like 2

On 4/6/2019 at 2:48 PM, SuperSmash5U said:

At least I finally finished up Pic-A-Pix Classic and got the plat for that.

I might try to pick up French again. I enjoyed my French class in high school. ;)

How was Pic-a-P C? I know Jens is dying to play that (and Block-a-Pix, which is apparently a thing).

Oh, and speaking of French... On my beautiful people playthrough of XCOM (yes, I'm still playing that), I was awarded a French girl soldier for completing some random mission. Now, I had said before that I'd only be allowing one soldier per country -- and we already have Willem Dafoe to represent France -- but it's hard to deny somebody who has already reached the penultimate rank. As such, please welcome Sofia Boutella to the team!

Also, we're back down to five active games.

Platinum #162 - Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/10a4cb/trophies/1Lbc8c9f.png

Just like Crash, the third game is the series takes a lot less effort to platinum than the first two. Not going to complain, though. Those race levels would've been a pain if I actually had to complete them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

How was Pic-a-P C? I know Jens is dying to play that (and Block-a-Pix, which is apparently a thing).

It was okay, if you are dying to play that sort of thing. It was just boring. I don't think I could handle Block-A-Pix, though. :S

I was more interested in Dragon Sinker and Bonds of the Skies. Those were RPGs I got into a lot. I eventually caved and bought some of the add-on boosts to get through the hardest parts, but I did get pretty decently far into them before I caved. If you loved Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games, then these games might be for you. I only had trouble with one trophy on Dragon Sinker and none in Bond of the Skies. I really liked how Bonds of the Skies had animated portraits for some of the major characters. for dialogue, it was really fun to play.

Glad you got another Spyro  platinum, Cass. I enjoyed revisiting the original trilogy with upgraded visuals and sound. And I totally agree with you on the racing challenges. That's the sole reason I couldn't complete the super secret level, because of the stupid yeti snowboard race. :(

Now I have to start doing the games I've been roasting in the slow cooker for months, like Dark Cloud. I am surprised I still remember where I am in that game. xD

Edited by SuperSmash5U

I love how you guys are actually "role playing". So many of us act as if trophy hunting is some second job that we have to do and it's pretty obvious by how many stacks some people have done.

2 hours ago, SuperSmash5U said:

If you loved Super Nintendo Final Fantasy games, then these games might be for you.

I'm still waiting on Final Fantasy 6. That was the last game Square (back in the day before they were Square Enix) made that was 2-D before they went over to the Playstation 1 with Final Fantasy 7.

I had a couple older relatives who played this game non-stop on their Super Nintendo. One of the best and most memorable JRPGs for a long time.

If Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound all came out with trophy support, I would buy those games ASAP. Sadly Square couldn't care less for their old games, and Earthbound of course is Nintendo property.

Oh well. At least we have Reverie and Cosmic Star Heroine.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:48 AM, SuperSmash5U said:

That's why I put this game on my list of "Games I slapped myself for playing." :P I honestly feel like FFXV had a great story and potential (and my gym trainer buddy loved it) but it shot itself in the foot for being too long. 

I feel like FFXV suffered from not being long enough. The second half of the game just feels incredibly rushed, with lots of resources squandered on areas you see once and barely spend any time with. In general the narrative is just... bizarre. But I'm only just about to finish it and haven't touched the DLCs yet.
Makes me want to play older Final Fantasy games though, because the potential for a good story is there in FFXV, it just seems hideously mismanaged. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I love how you guys are actually "role playing". So many of us act as if trophy hunting is some second job that we have to do

Well, we do have "water cooler chats." :D But it's not a big deal to talk about other things. I want to talk about all of the cool books I read involving cats helping human women solve mysteries(and there are a lot, but the first series I read was about a middle-aged man who adopted a Siamese from an art critic after his master died); my mom was proud that I didn't play video games all of the time, but the games and talking about how good or bad they were is a big deal. I had 9 accounts before hand because I hated myself for never being able to get platinums but now I am getting over that. ^_^

54 minutes ago, Spaz said:

If Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and Earthbound all came out with trophy support, I would buy those games ASAP. Sadly Square couldn't care less for their old games, and Earthbound of course is Nintendo property.

*shrugs* I think that the "old games" don't really need trophy support. I thought about how cool it would be to have platinum trophies for Pokemon Sun and Moon, but realized that then I would end up doing things I hated, like the Battle Tree, and anyways, they have ribbons your Pokemon wear to make up for that. I prefer to have some games that are casual only, like Super Mario Odyssey. I don't think I'll ever get all 999 Moons on that but it's fun going through the amazing worlds. Same with the Spirits in Super Smash, I don't think I could get them all because some require defeating really tough condition battles. Still don't have Baby Bowser because of the damn Giant Bowser. :(

16 minutes ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Makes me want to play older Final Fantasy games though, because the potential for a good story is there in FFXV, it just seems hideously mismanaged. 

Well, it's no Kingdom Hearts, but hey, it could be worse. Try platinuming Final Fantasy XIII. xD

11 minutes ago, SuperSmash5U said:

*shrugs* I think that the "old games" don't really need trophy support. I thought about how cool it would be to have platinum trophies for Pokemon Sun and Moon, but realized that then I would end up doing things I hated, like the Battle Tree, and anyways, they have ribbons your Pokemon wear to make up for that. I prefer to have some games that are casual only, like Super Mario Odyssey. I don't think I'll ever get all 999 Moons on that but it's fun going through the amazing worlds. Same with the Spirits in Super Smash, I don't think I could get them all because some require defeating really tough condition battles. Still don't have Baby Bowser because of the damn Giant Bowser. :(

That’s what we all did before there were achievements or trophies. Sony basically copied what Microsoft did with their Xbox score system and put their own version. 

The reason I said that is because Capcom and Konami have both released their old library of Mega Man and Castlevania games respectively. So it wouldn’t hurt to see a re-release of some sort. But Square Enix couldn’t care less, as long as they’re milking what’s left of Final Fantasy XV. 

Similarily I couldn’t get all 120 stars in Super Mario 64. I can get them now because I’m a lot more experienced. 

I play on Steam every now and then, and don’t care about their achievements. I never felt a need to be a completionist, I never desired to be one either.

16 hours ago, Spaz said:

Similarily I couldn’t get all 120 stars in Super Mario 64. I can get them now because I’m a lot more experienced. 

I play on Steam every now and then, and don’t care about their achievements. I never felt a need to be a completionist, I never desired to be one either.

I think my completionist attitude started somewhere in the mid-90's, with games like Pokemon, DKC2, and Super Mario 64, that had an ending but also had a ton of replay value due to secrets and collectibles. I don't know how it was for you guys, but I'd say 95% of the games I played as a kid were rentals. You'd go to Blockbuster, spend your $2/week allowance on some game that had a cool cover, and that was your weekend. Actually owning a game was a privilege. You'd either have to save up your allowance for months or wait until Christmas (or your birthday, I guess, but my siblings and I all had the displeasure of being born in winter). As such, the few games we owned were played to death.

I think it was the Christmas of '97 that we got an N64, Super Mario 64, and Star Fox 64. I don't think we got another game for the console until the following Christmas, so we got to know those games extremely well. We were doing challenge runs before challenge runs were even a thing. I remember one Friday night, we decided we'd try to get all 120 stars in a single weekend (after already having beaten the game several times), and we somehow pulled it off. That was one of my greatest early video game accomplishments. I think we ended up doing the same with Super Mario Galaxy.

I guess I kinda view games now the same way. If I'm going to buy something, I want to feel like I got my money's worth. PS trophies are nice because they generally take about as long as it takes for a game to get stale. Unfortunately, not all developers seem to understand that concept. Steam achievements are kinda pointless, since you can use mods and console commands to make them pop whenever you want, so I don't know why they even bother.

Anyway, if I was in charge, most trophies would pop if you just play a game naturally. I'd include a few challenge trophies in each game, but nothing stupid, like Cities' Chirpnado (which has about a 1 in 720 chance of appearing) or XCOM:EW's An Army of Four. I'm legitimately upset that they included that as a trophy. Yes, it can be considered a challenge run by playing through the game without any squad size upgrades, but you're basically handicapping yourself for no reward other than a trophy. I would have preferred a trophy for beating the game on the hardest difficulty, because that's an actual in-game mode that the developers took the time to implement. I'm not sure the game was really designed to be played with only four soldiers for every mission.

Complaints inside, I loved the XCOM base defense mission (maybe because I was able to use more than four soldiers). I want to hear some bets on who you think is going to end the game with the most kills. Will it be John Stamos the Sniper, Willem Dafoe the Assault, Alyssa Milano the Heavy, Keira Knightley the MEC Trooper, or somebody else? I'll tally up the results at the start of the final mission.

In Sekiro news... Hey, I killed a couple more mini-bosses. The first was a pain, but I got the other on my second try. Then I found some dude without a head. That didn't end well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I think my completionist attitude started somewhere in the mid-90's, with games like Pokemon, DKC2, and Super Mario 64, that had an ending but also had a ton of replay value due to secrets and collectibles. I don't know how it was for you guys, but I'd say 95% of the games I played as a kid were rentals. You'd go to Blockbuster, spend your $2/week allowance on some game that had a cool cover, and that was your weekend. Actually owning a game was a privilege. You'd either have to save up your allowance for months or wait until Christmas (or your birthday, I guess, but my siblings and I all had the displeasure of being born in winter). As such, the few games we owned were played to death.

I think it was the Christmas of '97 that we got an N64, Super Mario 64, and Star Fox 64. I don't think we got another game for the console until the following Christmas, so we got to know those games extremely well. We were doing challenge runs before challenge runs were even a thing. I remember one Friday night, we decided we'd try to get all 120 stars in a single weekend (after already having beaten the game several times), and we somehow pulled it off. That was one of my greatest early video game accomplishments. I think we ended up doing the same with Super Mario Galaxy.

I guess I kinda view games now the same way. If I'm going to buy something, I want to feel like I got my money's worth. PS trophies are nice because they generally take about as long as it takes for a game to get stale. Unfortunately, not all developers seem to understand that concept. Steam achievements are kinda pointless, since you can use mods and console commands to make them pop whenever you want, so I don't know why they even bother.

In Sekiro news... Hey, I killed a couple more mini-bosses. The first was a pain, but I got the other on my second try. Then I found some dude without a head. That didn't end well.

We weren't quite old enough to get a job by ourselves. Back then we had to ask to go to Blockbuster or some other video rental store that had video games.

I never had any desire to do everything in Super Mario 64. At that time it was just fun to play through the game because it was so groundbreaking and innovative.

The first video game where I felt I wanted to do everything was Goldeneye 007. The controls and the aiming mechanics have not aged well, they are rather stiff and dated by today's standards. Back in early 1999 me and a best friend of mine spent hour after hour after hour trying to beat some levels on 007 difficulty. Hard difficulty disabled auto aiming so it was much harder. The train level still gives me nightmares, and you had additional objectives you had to do because you needed to fulfill them to move on to the next level.

This continued onward with Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I never was able to get all the golden spiders, which when once killed didn't respawn. I remember getting stuck in the Water Temple for several hours, because there were multiple floors in that dungeon and the map didn't help much. Me and my friend just found secrets wandering around Hyrule, and we had sleepovers.

I miss those days.

Similarly, we didn't have many video games either. The few video games we had we practically played them to death. And whenever I went over to my cousin's, who is several years older than me, I played the living shit out of Donkey Kong Country.

I played a lot more rentals than I played games that I owned.

I mostly play Steam to take advantage of the PC games. There's a lot of good independent games on there that will probably never make it to the consoles. Civilization 5 and 6 I still play every once in a while.

To be honest, Sekiro doesn't look as enticing to me as Bloodborne did. As a matter of fact I will probably play Nioh first, since I think that looks a little more appealing.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I think my completionist attitude started somewhere in the mid-90's, with games like Pokemon, DKC2, and Super Mario 64, that had an ending but also had a ton of replay value due to secrets and collectibles. I don't know how it was for you guys, but I'd say 95% of the games I played as a kid were rentals.

Well, there were no consoles or computers in my house when I was still living in Spain.. I then moved with my mum to Switzerland at the age of 11 in 1999, and a year or so later we got a computer that was in her bedroom (so I also didn't play too much or too long at night)... For a couple of years I only owned Final Fantasy VII and VIII, and I played them over and over and over and over again.. Obviously there were no achievements, but I still did everything there was to do.. Killed Emerald Weapon, killed Ruby Weapon, got all Master Materia, etc... The only thing I didn't do was to go on a date with Barret ?

Then, when I turned 16 or 17 I scrapped together what I had (was gardening a bit and distributing newspapers while in highschool to make some money) and bought myself a PS2.. so that's the first time I ever owned a console. Obviously I kept playing every single Final Fantasy that came out. ?

I also got a Wii eventually, and what I managed to do there is probably what I am the most proud of gaming-wise... maybe even more than getting the SMB plat: I got Donkey Kong Country Returns, which I love on that console. After finishing the levels normally you unlock time trials, with a medal system in place. Only, there is a medal above gold, called "shiny gold", which is really difficult to achieve... Have you seen how bonkers the levels are in that game?? The times are really tight for those medals.. Anyways, I managed to get shiny gold in every single level, and ended up with a 200% completion save ? And a freaking tennis ellbow, since you need to keep rolling constantly to be fast, and you do that by shaking the controller. 

I followed up with a X360, where I played RDR1 for hours and hours, attaining 100% completion and the corresponding outfit you get with it.. And finally decided to buy a PS4 a couple of years ago when I was living in Finland during my PhD. In retrospect I would have preferred to get a PS3 instead of the X360, but oh well... 

So yeah, I've always been a completionist, and having a trophy system is great on the one hand, since it somehow rewards what I love doing anyways, on the other hand it can become an obsession.. I'm trying not to let it go that far (he said while writing in a trophy hunting forum from work). 

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Hmm, I think I missed the headless dude... But I refuse to look up anything during my first playthrough! I'm really liking Sekiro though.. the grappling hook just doesn't get boring! 

Well, sorry for the long and somewhat self-centered post ? 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

You'd either have to save up your allowance for months or wait until Christmas (or your birthday, I guess, but my siblings and I all had the displeasure of being born in winter).

Were you born in the 70s? I remember my very first game was for my 5th birthday, it was an Atari 2600 and some obscure title called Riddle of the Sphinx, I think it was a Space Invaders clone. xD I remember watching all the bad Atari 2600 game commercials back in the day, then all the bad Pokemon commercials. I probably wouldn't have cared two s***s about Pokemon if it hadn't had an anime, first episode I watched was the battle between Ash and Brock at his gym. That hooked me. ;)

And I was born in Winter too. In fact, my birthday is December 6th, 19 days from Christmas, so I usually don't expect the big gifts because I know that the big ones are coming in three weeks. (I asked for amiibos for Christmas, big mistake. I now have three worthless amiibos - King Dedede(which I bought), Link(my friend gave it to me), and Wedding Bowser(my parents gave that). This Christmas I will ask for a better TV for my PS4, the one I have craps out on the sound every 30 minutes and I have to shut it off to make the static go away. :()

I just platinumed this really silly 8-bit anime top-down shooter called Super Weekend Mode. It's another EZPZ. I think Ratalaika Games is now the Go-To for EZPZ publishing. But then again, most of the games are indies without big budgets like the Big Boys so I am willing to let it pass...

?

OH FOR LUGIA'S SAKE! ?

(Yep, trophy list for yet ANOTHER game by that awful mongrel, POWGI. This time I think it's a crossword puzzle challenge.)

22 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I guess I kinda view games now the same way. If I'm going to buy something, I want to feel like I got my money's worth. PS trophies are nice because they generally take about as long as it takes for a game to get stale. Unfortunately, not all developers seem to understand that concept.

I get your understanding, but I do buy the EZPZ games for the pops. I think of it this way: I hand over $4.32 for Super Weekend Mode, struggle through the Touhou gameplay for a few minutes, and get 11 gold trophies and a platinum. (Gonna do it again for the Vita version as I travel to my retro game store to get a GameCube card for my personal Pokemon quest.) In return, PixelTeriyaki, the makers of the game, get some exposure and I tell my friends about how cool it was, and they pay $4.32 for fun shootup times, and the company gets a tiny profit, which they use to fund Super Weekday Mode or whatever terrible super-deformed abomination they want to make next and make it even more cool and easy to play. It's win for them and win for us - we get another platinum or two for a little money and time, they get publicity.

I am not bashing POWGI or, please don't kill me, Phil-A-Pix. I mean, we need those ridiculous annoying puzzle games. Not EVERY game can be a Kingdom Hearts Konquest. If all we had were amazing 200-hour epic adventures, then we would get bored fast. That's what the world of literature knows as a fact and why there are so many genres of books - I love murder mysteries but my mom might love romance novels and my dad reads travel adventures. If every book was a cookbook, nobody would read. xD

But yes, I agree you need to get your money's worth. Luckily, Super Weekend Mode was only $4.32, so I got my worth. :P

Edited by SuperSmash5U
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

The only thing I didn't do was to go on a date with Barret 1f602.png

The only reason I didn't go on a date with Barret was back then I thought the idea of dating the person who hired you, especially when he's a dude like you, a big butch black dude, was gross. (I still don't like the thought of dating Barret but since the remake has a trophy for that... ugh, still not sure whether buying FFVII on my PS4 was a mistake. :( Don't get me wrong, I am not a homophobe, I just prefer to date girls. When I played the original, the second playthrough I did was where I used a guide to manipulate it so Cloud dated Yuffie, and it was so much cool - it reminded me of a teenaged girl dating a young man and I liked how she acted different to what she normally acts like. That's why Yuffie is my best girl in FFVII. ^_^)

But yeah, I also did everything I could. I don't think I beat Ruby and Emerald Weapon, though, but I get Knights of the Round and was blown away by the animation... even if it took moons. xD

On 4/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, Spaz said:

To be honest, Sekiro doesn't look as enticing to me as Bloodborne did. As a matter of fact I will probably play Nioh first, since I think that looks a little more appealing.

I'm not in love with Sekiro yet. One of my favorite things about the Soulsborne games has been the ability to design your own character, build, and playstyle. That's not really an option in Sekiro. You play as a guy with the personality of a plank of wood, you're given a sword, and battles mainly consist of blocking, parrying, and attacking (or jumping around like a lunatic, if you're me). I'm not really in love with Nioh either (mostly because all sense of balance in the game is lost in NG+), but at least that game has a variety weapons and stances for you to master. I dunno. Both of them feel kinda generic, like every other action-adventure game out there.

I also wouldn't advise playing both at once. I keep getting the controls mixed up.

19 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

I also got a Wii eventually, and what I managed to do there is probably what I am the most proud of gaming-wise... maybe even more than getting the SMB plat: I got Donkey Kong Country Returns, which I love on that console. After finishing the levels normally you unlock time trials, with a medal system in place. Only, there is a medal above gold, called "shiny gold", which is really difficult to achieve... Have you seen how bonkers the levels are in that game?? The times are really tight for those medals.. Anyways, I managed to get shiny gold in every single level, and ended up with a 200% completion save 1f60a.png And a freaking tennis ellbow, since you need to keep rolling constantly to be fast, and you do that by shaking the controller.

I actually never got around to playing DKCR, even though I owned a Wii and the original trilogy was a huge part of my life. But I have watched LPs of it on YouTube, and...yeah, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do that with the motion controller. Kudos to you.

9 hours ago, SuperSmash5U said:

Were you born in the 70s?

I'm not THAT old. You got a good 10 years on me. But I do feel I'm on the older end of the spectrum when it comes to this website...

But I get what you're saying about EZPZ games. Not everything has to be an XCOM or a Darkest Dungeon or a Cities: Skylines. Sometimes it's fun just to play something simple and mindless that also rewards you for your efforts. I think some people on this site get a little too worked up over easy games. It's like my mama used to say: ice cream you get for free tastes just as sweet as the ice cream you get for running a marathon.

Well, the second usually made me hurl...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I also wouldn't advise playing both at once. I keep getting the controls mixed up.

That’s to be expected. We’re reaching a point where the Soulsborne genre is slowly getting a bit stale. 

Dark Souls, Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne are special. But when the genre becomes a bit saturated, then it doesn’t stand out anymore. 

I actually never got around to playing DKCR, even though I owned a Wii and the original trilogy was a huge part of my life. But I have watched LPs of it on YouTube, and...yeah, I'm not sure I'd have the patience to do that with the motion controller. Kudos to you.

Diddy Kong Racing is still my favorite, which was on the N64. 

To this day I think the original trilogy had some of the best music of all time. That underwater theme still gives me chills even 20 years later. 

I'm not THAT old. You got a good 10 years on me. But I do feel I'm on the older end of the spectrum when it comes to this website...

30s isn’t old.

But you’re in the middle @Cassylvania

The oldest guy I know on this website is turning 50 this year. We got some older members like Starcrunch and Hemiak who are both in their 40s. Phil aka prarpin sadly no longer posts on these forums. 

If you are above 40 years of age then I consider you to be one of the older people on this website.

I can sort of put myself in the middle, since I’m a little younger than you Cassy but I’m a lot older than some people. A few guys are only age 17 - 20, so there’s quite a big gap between them and the older guys. 

But I get what you're saying about EZPZ games. Not everything has to be an XCOM or a Darkest Dungeon or a Cities: Skylines. Sometimes it's fun just to play something simple and mindless that also rewards you for your efforts. I think some people on this site get a little too worked up over easy games. It's like my mama used to say: ice cream you get for free tastes just as sweet as the ice cream you get for running a marathon.

I understand where they’re coming from. You used to have to put a lot more effort to get platinums in most AAA games. Indie games on PSN were usually non-platinums. Games in general needed more work for the platinum. 

Now you can stack Jack n’ Jill 6 times and Steins Gate over 10 times with virtually no effort. I myself stacked Sound Shapes 6 times, and I found that getting trophies that easily isn’t worth it. 

Nobody has to play hard game after hard game. I plan to buy and platinum Batman: The Enemy Within which is a TellTale game that just has you watching a story unfold. I generally mix up my games so I have a nice balance and a good variety. 

But if trophy hunting isn’t making someone happy, then it doesn’t matter whether they play an easy game or hard game. I buy a game if it interests me, not a game that is going to impress people nor a game that I can just sit and have trophies handed to me.

Edited by Spaz

43 minutes ago, Spaz said:

But if trophy hunting isn’t making someone happy, then it doesn’t matter whether they play an easy game or hard game. I buy a game if it interests me, not a game that is going to impress people nor a game that I can just sit and have trophies handed to me.

I concur. I am not saying I am lazy. (Well, I am beyond I am 46 and haven't worked a day in my life for two years, but that's beyond the point. :P) I am saying that I prefer challenges that I can handle. I don't want to pore my mental problems on everyone but I have to state this: I have acute autism, which is a mental illness that prevents the victim from having good willpower - they are like a cat in their attention span, give them something shiny and they pounce on it. I am very lucky, I've heard horror stories of people with severe autism who can't stop themselves from doing things that are inappropriate in public. I was far worse when I was in college, but needless to say my autism makes it very difficult for me to search for a job, much less stick with one. I get bored very easily when I do stuff that I don't like. Ask me to read books for a living, I am all on that. Ask me to file envelopes for four hours straight or stand guard, and I mean literally stand guard, in hot summer weather, and I nope out of that without even trying it. I lost a job at Sea World because of that. :(

And I agree, do what you love. If you don't feel a bit of joy when that platinum trophy alert comes up, then you are in the wrong hobby. I used to collect Yu-Gi-Oh cards a lot, buying booster pack after booster pack with all my money, but I never got enough to make a competitive deck so I stopped buying the cards, but not before I spent $600 on booster packs and starter decks. Now I find happiness in reading cheap mystery novels about cats sniffing out clues and playing JRPGs.

I played Super Weekend Mode because I liked the anime 8-bit graphics and chiptunes. I actually played past Stage 3 in the Vita version and got to Stage 6 before I got a Game Over(mainly because I was worried I hadn't gotten enough points, but...) just to see what bosses I'd be shooting next. Dark Cloud, Ni no Kuni, Kingdom Hearts, I love all of those games but I also enjoying platinuming Bonds of the Skies even though it was way more primitive. That's why I hate Dark Souls, because it looks ugly and scary and I don't like those games. Even if it was the easiest WRPG ever, I wouldn't play it because it looks hideous and it too dark for me.

46 is getting up there. I’m honestly surprised you are into things like Super Smash Bros, since that was a big part of my life at one point. 

I’ve seen weirder things. I’ve met 60+ year old women play World of Warcraft among other games. 

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

Diddy Kong Racing is still my favorite, which was on the N64.

DKR has the bizarre privilege of being the only game my father ever played with us. He might've played Mario Kart a few times too, but he really liked DKR... Probably because we let him win.

Hey, if my brother can throw me through a door for stealing a star in Mario Party, my dad would probably strap me to a rocket and fire me into the sun.

11 hours ago, SuperSmash5U said:

I played Super Weekend Mode because I liked the anime 8-bit graphics and chiptunes. I actually played past Stage 3 in the Vita version and got to Stage 6 before I got a Game Over(mainly because I was worried I hadn't gotten enough points, but...) just to see what bosses I'd be shooting next. Dark Cloud, Ni no Kuni, Kingdom Hearts, I love all of those games but I also enjoying platinuming Bonds of the Skies even though it was way more primitive. That's why I hate Dark Souls, because it looks ugly and scary and I don't like those games. Even if it was the easiest WRPG ever, I wouldn't play it because it looks hideous and it too dark for me.

Nothing wrong with liking colorful graphics and cute animations. Have you played any of the Skylanders games? They can be a little challenging to platinum, but I think you'd like them. The only one I haven't played is Giants.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

I’ve seen weirder things. I’ve met 60+ year old women play World of Warcraft among other games. 

I remember seeing a video on YouTube of a woman in her 90s playing Animal Crossing, which is pretty awesome. Is it weird that I have a fear of one day picking up a controller and realizing my reflexes are too slow or my hands are too shaky to play anymore? I mean, assuming we all live that long, I guess it's bound to happen to all of us.

But even on a smaller scale, have you guys noticed any changes in your ability to play games since you were younger? I would think, like any physical activity, there's a certain point in your life where you "peak," and I wonder what the average age for that is as a gamer. 50s? 60s? Or do you think it'll be like golf, where you're able to play it as long as you're able to stand?

Some things, however, never get old...

Platinum #163 - XCOM: Enemy Within

1Lcff3f8.png

To no surprise of anyone, the aliens failed once again to invade Earth. This was probably their most pathetic attempt yet, as I was given all sorts of new ways to turn them into puddles of green goo, like giant robots and genetically-modified superhumans. In reality, though, what chance did they stand against the likes of John Stamos and Keira Knightley, who collectively amassed over 200 kills? All hail our new overlords!

Image result for john stamosImage result for keira knightleyImage result for willem dafoeImage result for alyssa milano

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Nothing wrong with liking colorful graphics and cute animations. Have you played any of the Skylanders games? They can be a little challenging to platinum, but I think you'd like them. The only one I haven't played is Giants.

Unfortunately, I spent all of my "toys to life" money on LEGO Dimensions. But I would have gotten Skylanders if I had had the money invested earlier. Right now I can't afford toys to life game series, just sank $66 into getting an old copy of Pokémon Emerald and some items for playing Pokémon X.D. with as part of my personal quest to ribbon up a Mawile in prep for Pokémon Sword/Shield coming out later this year. xD But thanks for the advice.

I'm pretty glad that you platinumed XCOM with characters named after celebrities. It's sort of hilarious, when you think about it.

Edited by SuperSmash5U
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

But even on a smaller scale, have you guys noticed any changes in your ability to play games since you were younger? I would think, like any physical activity, there's a certain point in your life where you "peak," and I wonder what the average age for that is as a gamer. 50s? 60s? Or do you think it'll be like golf, where you're able to play it as long as you're able to stand?

Men hit their physical peak around their late 20s to mid 30s. For women it’s around their early 20s to 30s. 

Starting at age 35 and over your reflexes really start to slow. My dad is age 65 and he can no longer perform the outdoor work like he used to. I remember he used to work all day outside on the weekends, and this was after a night shift where he worked on printers. His vision and reflexes have slowed greatly. Same with my mom who is a year younger. 

My sister at 38 years old is starting to show signs of slowing down. She plays a few sports during her free time but she can’t keep up with the younger women in soccer. 

I’m a lot more quick and experienced with playing video games than I was as a kid. 

There’s a few skill based games, including Furi and Super Meat Boy that I can see people well in their 40s and over that would really struggle with them. 

Doesn’t surprise me that some guys around here who have a lot of hard platinums are in their early - mid 20s. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 7:52 PM, Spaz said:

Doesn’t surprise me that some guys around here who have a lot of hard platinums are in their early - mid 20s. 

Makes sense to me. Gotta get the hard games out of the way now while we still can!

So, after banging my head against the wall for several weeks, I'm happy to report that Nioh is all but dead. There is presumably only one or two Twilight missions standing between us and the platinum/100%. These are a little annoying because you're only offered two per day, and it takes almost a full week to cycle between them. I wasn't able to do one of them that was offered on Friday (boss was a pain in the ass), so I don't think it'll come around again until later this weeks, but we'll see...

I really enjoyed this game during the first playthrough, but it became a single player MMO in WotD and beyond. Loot is everything. I finally came full circle when I found a kusarigama with water damage, 48.7% water damage increase, and ninjutsu damage bonus. This thing has absolutely shredded most enemies and bosses. The hardest part was probably beating all the dojo missions, because your weapon and gear are predetermined. For the most part, I was able to do this by learning when to parry, or baiting the opponent into attacking and then following up with a safe attack when I saw an opening. Serpent Strike + Foot Sweep/Renegade Dragon is pretty awesome against human opponents.

Also, for those of you betting on Okatsu-or-bust... Okatsu won by a large margin. I unlocked her about fifty missions ago.

That puts both Nioh and Cities at one time-based trophy from platinum and one time-based DLC trophy from 100%. Meaning I don't have to actively play them anymore. Thank God.

*pinches eyes*

I need a new game...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

So, after banging my head against the wall for several weeks, I'm happy to report that Nioh is all but dead. There is presumably only one or two Twilight missions standing between us and the platinum/100%.

What Cassy did on Sunday: Bang her head on the wall until it bled because of a really f'king hard samurai-based Dark Souls game.

What I did on Sunday: Leapt from a battlement and slam a hobgoblin in the back of the neck... did 2 damage but knocked it prone AGAIN. xD

Sorry, Cass, but I was too eager to say that I had a fun session of Dungeons and Dragons at my local otaku-nerd shop. Getting back into D&D after watching a lot of D&D story videos on YouTube. Platinum trophies can only do so much for you, some days you have to spend five hours geeking out with girls that had weird hair dye styles pretending to be demonspawn warlocks burning goblins to the bone because "They woke me up!" ;)

I played a bad-ass halfling monk who hates goblins with a passion. ^_^

But I am going back to the PS games, I am going to spend the night harvesting ivory to get those last 22 levels to platinum Adventures of Mana, then I am going to sleep again. Got the chance to ride with my two-month old niece. She's doll cute with crazy hair. :)

Hope you continue to enjoy trophies and football.

• Like 1

I'm basically done with MMOs.

I poured thousands of hours into Runescape and World of Warcraft, but I can still feel the agony years later after countless times grinding skills for dozens and hundreds of hours just to get a virtual stat.

Nioh and many of the Souls games are nothing like those two of course, but even if a part of them are RNG based I get a bit annoyed.

The Twilight missions sound like a certain trophy in Destiny 1 where you have to wait every Tuesday for something. Project Cars has those community events that I hear are not obtainable to get anymore.

If something is too frustrating the best thing for you to do is to move on and come back when you feel like it. I've done this with several games, a number of which I haven't touched in over six months or in some cases over a year.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

So, after banging my head against the wall for several weeks, I'm happy to report that Nioh is all but dead. There is presumably only one or two Twilight missions standing between us and the platinum/100%. These are a little annoying because you're only offered two per day, and it takes almost a full week to cycle between them. I wasn't able to do one of them that was offered on Friday (boss was a pain in the ass), so I don't think it'll come around again until later this weeks, but we'll see...

I really enjoyed this game during the first playthrough, but it became a single player MMO in WotD and beyond. Loot is everything. I finally came full circle when I found a kusarigama with water damage, 48.7% water damage increase, and ninjutsu damage bonus. This thing has absolutely shredded most enemies and bosses. The hardest part was probably beating all the dojo missions, because your weapon and gear are predetermined. For the most part, I was able to do this by learning when to parry, or baiting the opponent into attacking and then following up with a safe attack when I saw an opening. Serpent Strike + Foot Sweep/Renegade Dragon is pretty awesome against human opponents.

Probably too late, or maybe you knew, but I also couldn't always finish the Twilight Mission that I needed, so instead of waiting for another week I would just start the mission and then exit the game. Even if you go back to the game a couple of days later and the Twilight Mission is no longer the one offered that day, you already started it so can play through it. 

I fully agree with the Loot is everything statement. Funnily enough, I actually enjoyed that. I spent millions of amrita soul-forging the right equipment.. rolling and rolling abilities until I got a weapon with +X% skill damage and +X% damage from behind and +X% this and that... Being able to one shot those fucking Tengus with a quick draw after having had so much trouble with them during my intial playthrough just felt awesome! ?

Also, I never really used any parry moves during NG, but I quickly learned that those are absolutely OP when used at the right times. I dunno, I really liked WotD and everything it made you think about. 

But then again, I waited a couple of months after playing through NG for all the DLC to be out, maybe with 3 playthroughs in a row I would also have ended up with a different opinion on WotD. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, SuperSmash5U said:

Sorry, Cass, but I was too eager to say that I had a fun session of Dungeons and Dragons at my local otaku-nerd shop. Getting back into D&D after watching a lot of D&D story videos on YouTube. Platinum trophies can only do so much for you, some days you have to spend five hours geeking out with girls that had weird hair dye styles pretending to be demonspawn warlocks burning goblins to the bone because "They woke me up!"

I know nothing about D&D, but it's good to have hobbies outside of trophy hunting. I mostly do things that involve hitting stuff with blunt objects. Sometimes I like to pretend they are physical manifestations of the games I play. That's the only way I'm able to keep myself from throwing my controller through the TV.

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

If something is too frustrating the best thing for you to do is to move on and come back when you feel like it. I've done this with several games, a number of which I haven't touched in over six months or in some cases over a year.

My problem is that Nioh is the kind of the game that I'd have to relearn if I took an extended break from it, so I felt obligated to at least get all the difficult stuff knocked out (which unfortunately is the whole game). Just got another twilight mission done tonight, so I SHOULD only be one mission away from finishing it...

18 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

But then again, I waited a couple of months after playing through NG for all the DLC to be out, maybe with 3 playthroughs in a row I would also have ended up with a different opinion on WotD. 

My issue with WoTD is ultimately the same issue I have with most "harder" difficulties in video games: it's that the game clearly wasn't designed around them. The easiest (and probably laziest) way to make a game more difficult is to give the bad guys more HP and/or have their attacks do more damage. The problem is that it often only make battles longer and more tedious. Skyrim is notorious for this. I don't even know why people bother playing that game on Legendary, because you'll burn through all your arrows just trying to take down one dragon. On the other hand, Dark Souls gives the bad guys more health, but you have stronger gear to compensate for it. That's...kinda what it seems like they were going for in Nioh, but they took it a little too far. It feels like the main goal in WotD and beyond is to burn through enemies as quickly as possible, rather than to use the skills you have learned to win in one-on-one situations.

But what's disappointing is that Nioh already DOES have a good "harder" difficulty. Those dual bosses are phenomenal. You've spent the whole game learning how to dodge their attacks, and now you must do it with two bosses attacking you at once. It's adding something NEW to the game, rather than artificially increasing the stats of an opponent. Even better, in NG+, some bosses even gain additional attacks or have slightly different patterns (from what I've noticed). For example, the Giant Toad gains an attack that prevents you from cheesing him the way you likely did in NG. That's a great idea. Honestly, that's all NG+ needs. Just give each boss one or two additional attacks that force you to rethink your strategy, or have their AI act in a more unpredictable way. The Smelter Demon was a really good boss in Dark Souls 2 because he gained a delay the second time you fought him (the blue version). And actually, for as much hate as that game gets, it had a well-designed NG+ too, as additional enemies appear to make certain spots in the game harder than you're used to. That's another great way to add challenge, without wasting the player's time.

I just feel Nioh stops becoming about balanced gameplay in NG+. It's still a really good game.

Anyway, I see Minecraft is giving me the middle finger yet again. Was 100 trophies not enough? At least these don't look too bad, but I'm really getting tired of having to reinstall that game on my PS4, when it's so much better on PC...

Oh! And I played through The Unfinished Sensory Deprivation (sorry, Swan) yesterday. It's an...interesting game. Beat the whole thing in two hours, so I wouldn't pick it up unless it's heavily discounted, but it's good while it lasts. Reminds me of Burly Men at Sea. Minimalist is a good trophy, if you like questioning your own sanity.

Next up: Forgotten Anne.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, I see Minecraft is giving me the middle finger yet again. Was 100 trophies not enough? At least these don't look too bad, but I'm really getting tired of having to reinstall that game on my PS4, when it's so much better on PC...

One good reason why I'm not a 100 percent completionist.

I have a few games that I know I will never 100 percent, and I'm perfectly happy with that. I feel being a complete completionist puts too much stress. Especially if there's an online trophy that requires lots of grinding, or a skill based trophy that may be beyond your league.

As for Minecraft, it's one of the most popular games if not the most popular game of the last decade, so I'm not surprised it continues to get DLC content.

• Like 2