Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I mostly do things that involve hitting stuff with blunt objects. Sometimes I like to pretend they are physical manifestations of the games I play. That's the only way I'm able to keep myself from throwing my controller through the TV.

Well, as long as the stuff you break isn't valuable, it's better than hurting actual people or destroying your television. xD

I also read books from time to time, I need to get more books. Dad wants me to sub to Kindle saying that it's easier to read digital books, but he doesn't realize that if we have an Apocalypse digital entertainment will be gone because we go back to the Dark Ages when the power grid is destroyed. People used books to pretend fantasy before we had video games. I was born a little while before Atari started the home console craze and I know that there was Life before Video Games. ;)

I used to play the Yu-Gi-Oh card game and read fanfics about it.

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

But what's disappointing is that Nioh already DOES have a good "harder" difficulty. Those dual bosses are phenomenal. You've spent the whole game learning how to dodge their attacks, and now you must do it with two bosses attacking you at once. It's adding something NEW to the game, rather than artificially increasing the stats of an opponent.

I watched a video yesterday by a popular Kingdom Hearts speedrunner and he told his thoughts about Kingdom Hearts 3 and agreed that the difficulty was too easy, he said that the developers were afraid to make a harder difficulty than Proud Mode because they wanted to bring in new players, but he also said that many of the problems could be fixed. He noted that Arandelle needed work and Fire was too powerful and was the end-all for boss battles. I think people keep forgetting that KH2, their FFVII love story, had its own problems. I am trying to avoid doing my Critical Mode run of KH2FM because I know I'll die over and over again because some NORMAL enemies cheap-shot you(the Large Bodies can one-hit-hill you with their belly slides in Critical, and let's not talk about how I rage quit after a certain late-game boss in Critical. xD)

I don't mind Critical Mode on Birth by Sleep as it does it right - it gives you the option to create the abilities to survive the one-shot cheap tactics that would probably be a nightmare had they been level-based. Some people need to back off about "wah wah, this game is too easy." :(

17 hours ago, Spaz said:

One good reason why I'm not a 100 percent completionist.

I have a few games that I know I will never 100 percent, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

I am with you - one game I put on my profile but am probably never going to get 100% in is LEGO Dimensions because of all the dang DLC for each story and level pack. I wasted $200 on MapleSlavery for worthless outfits that will disappear in three months. If I try to get any of the DLC trophies, I will probably go insane... all for 39 bronzes. NOT. WORTH IT. (I did like the Fantastic Beasts story pack, as I was introduced to life outside of Hogwarts and exposed to Rowling's interpretation of American Wizards. ^_^)

As for me, I got sidetracked by Yu-Gi-Oh fanfiction again as I was hoping to create a fanfic of my own involving the new game mechanics. I love some of the archetypes(Ghostrick, Madolche) but its easy to fall into a desire and inspiration and forget that Yu-Gi-Oh fanfics are SERIOUS BUSINESS and drop one of the zillion rulings for the card game. xD But I am working on my 60th platinum now.... harvesting f'king ivory. *shakes fist at Adventures of Mana*

On the nice side, I finally purchased the Early Access for Dreams, meaning more wasted time. :P

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 9:54 PM, Spaz said:

As for Minecraft, it's one of the most popular games if not the most popular game of the last decade, so I'm not surprised it continues to get DLC content.

Fortunately, this update wasn't too bad. I just don't know if they even added anything to the game. All the ocean stuff was added in the last patch, I think...

Either way, Minecraft is back at 100%, and it's not alone.

Platinum #164 - Nioh

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/f17334/trophies/1Le4b510.png

Great game, great combat, great story. I've said my piece on what I think about WotD, but it doesn't change the fact that the game never gets old, even if you are revisiting the same areas and fighting the same bosses ad nauseum. I think that's a testament to how good the gameplay is. I'm OK calling it a Souls game, because that's clearly where they drew inspiration from, but it's nice to see that it wasn't just a direct clone. I'm glad I picked this over Lords of the Fallen...

Anyway, I kinda took this week off from gaming because it was so nice outside, but I should've known it wouldn't last. April is the month of deception. I think we'll start Forgotten Anne tonight, and maybe get back into Sekiro... I'm also really craving a more turn-based RPG. Nothing ridiculously long, though.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm also really craving a more turn-based RPG. Nothing ridiculously long, though.

I'd recommend either Dragon Sinker or Bonds of the Skies. Both of these aren't high-tech graphics but both are pretty cool. I'd warn you that Dragon Sinker has the hardest boss trophy, though, but if use the Villager's final ability, your team leader will get a nice boost in attack. Bonds of the Skies was much cooler, reminded me of Phantasy Star. ;)

I also took a sort of break, but I did get JackQuest done, it's a great 8-bit Metroidvania that is really short but hard. Also... I got bitten by POWGI again and completed both versions of Crossovers. Really fast but boring. I need to get back to my backlog. :(

Glad you platted Nioh! Congrats!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SuperSmash5U said:

I'd recommend either Dragon Sinker or Bonds of the Skies. Both of these aren't high-tech graphics but both are pretty cool. I'd warn you that Dragon Sinker has the hardest boss trophy, though, but if use the Villager's final ability, your team leader will get a nice boost in attack. Bonds of the Skies was much cooler, reminded me of Phantasy Star. ;)

I've added both games to my wish list. Don't want to pay full price for either, but maybe if I see them on sale in the future... (PSN needs a notification feature for that.)

Anyway, I opted for Plague Road instead, which is a game I bought for about $1.99 a while back. Thought it might be a neat combination of Darkest Dungeon and XCOM, but it's more basic than even the tutorial levels of those games. I don't even think there's any strategy. You just get a Witch with Overgrowth, a Soldier with Patriotic March, an Engineer with Runaway Train, and laugh as the enemies melt away. I want to say I liked the art style, but the color palette is about every shade of puke green you can imagine. If the game's goal was to induce vomiting, I think it succeeded.

If you're interested, though, the record for fastest 100% should be easy to beat. I got third without even trying, and I think you could cut the current record in half if you save scummed after rescuing a bunch of survivors (but before revealing them) to build yourself an epic squad early on.

Note to self: no more $2 games...

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

Well I got some good news! (depending on your perspective ;)) I have been extremely inactive on the forums since my monitor at my new job literally faces my boss so I've had zero opportunity to get distracted. That is about to change! They are moving my desk to a corner cube and I'll have complete privacy to allow some periodic distractions throughout the day! I've been keeping up with the thread on my phone, but I refuse to post on my phone since I suck at texting and it takes me forever. There have been several topics I've wanted to chime in on, but I'll try to keep it short lol

But even on a smaller scale, have you guys noticed any changes in your ability to play games since you were younger? I would think, like any physical activity, there's a certain point in your life where you "peak," and I wonder what the average age for that is as a gamer. 50s? 60s? Or do you think it'll be like golf, where you're able to play it as long as you're able to stand?

I'm probably wrong, but I feel like I continue to get better and better. I haven't come across anything that I feel like I can't do...SMB coming the closest. I feel like I can do that game, but it's not something I want to pour hours and hours into at once. After I finally Platinum Space Hulk...I'll probably spend a bit more time on SMB. I also feel like I'm getting better since my variety of games has expanded quite a bit. As referenced by you guys on the previous page...games weren't as easy to come by when you were younger. I never liked to rent games because I didn't like the idea of giving them back if I wasn't finished. Rentals back then were maybe three days? I never felt like it gave me enough of an opportunity to play them as much as I wanted...and in order to beat the game I'd have to spend $60 just to rent it long enough so I might as well wait until I could buy it.

Because of that I've always been a completionist and I always tended to play longer RPG's. I also created challenges on my own. In Final Fantasy for the NES, I must've beaten that game 15 times and every time was different. Beat it as low a level as I could...beat it with 4 Knights...beat it with 1 Knight and 3 White Mages...max out my level. I basically did that with all of the FInal Fantasy games...so that took a ton of time. None of those games took a lot of skill persay though...just patience. The most challenging thing I probably did in a non MMORPG was get all 120 stars in Mario 64 before the guide even came out. Since I've expanded the types of games I play...I feel like I'm getting better and better. I'm sure at some point that will flip, but as of now I don't.

Starting at age 35 and over your reflexes really start to slow. My dad is age 65 and he can no longer perform the outdoor work like he used to. I remember he used to work all day outside on the weekends, and this was after a night shift where he worked on printers. His vision and reflexes have slowed greatly. Same with my mom who is a year younger.

I am by no means in good shape...but I've always been very coordinated with good reflexes and I don't think that has changed. I feel like video games and playing baseball helped develop that skill for me. I definitely couldn't hit a 90 MPH fastball anymore (without a lot of practice) but so far I haven't noticed any drop-off there and I turn 38 next month.

I know nothing about D&D, but it's good to have hobbies outside of trophy hunting. I mostly do things that involve hitting stuff with blunt objects. Sometimes I like to pretend they are physical manifestations of the games I play. That's the only way I'm able to keep myself from throwing my controller through the TV.

I bought a Dungeon Master guide once for AD&D and my brother, my best friend and I all created a character...but none of us wanted to be the DM and we felt it was too nerdy to ask around in school so I never actually played it. We ended up geeking out on Magic Cards instead. That fad lasted all of about a summer for us...I think I still have my cards somewhere. My brother just told me he sold a couple of dual mana cards on Ebay for like $100 each....I should probably invest some time looking for them...

I game on a very soft reclining chair with nice soft arms. If I ever get frustrated on something, generally one or to whacks to the arm cushion relieves any of my pent up anger...it doesn't come out often...but when it does...it's nice to have something that won't have any lasting repercussions.

I see you started The Banner Saga 3...what do you think so far? I liked the changes. Also, Juno and Alfrun a virtually unstoppable together. I can't tell you how many battles I eeked out exploiting Juno's inability to die and Alfrun's extremely long ranged attack. I'd have Juno walk over the closest black smoke and walk right back to her body, confuse the closest enemy and then basically die again. I kept Alfrun at a safe distance using her Ride the Lightning to whittle away even more. Juno generally kept the enemies close to her. If you run into trouble...Juno is a beast.

For me, when I realized I couldn't beat Proud Mode before the end of TTIHAG...I downloaded FFXV again and it was about 12 hours worth of downloads. I decided to play a little Batman while I waited and it hooked me again lol. I took a couple week hiatus from KH to at least finish up the first playthrough and all of the Riddler trophies. Batman was shorter than I remember it being (and easier), but I loved it all over again so it was a nice break between playthroughs with KH...which I Plat'd about 20 minutes ago :) This is one example of why I think I'm still getting better at games...I had absolutely no trouble at all with the Challenge maps. I did each of the physical challenges on my first try and several of the Predator ones as well...it was much harder when I first played this game. My familiarity with it probably helps...

Anywho...next up is KH Re: CoM!

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Briste said:

I see you started The Banner Saga 3...what do you think so far? I liked the changes. Also, Juno and Alfrun a virtually unstoppable together. I can't tell you how many battles I eeked out exploiting Juno's inability to die and Alfrun's extremely long ranged attack. I'd have Juno walk over the closest black smoke and walk right back to her body, confuse the closest enemy and then basically die again. I kept Alfrun at a safe distance using her Ride the Lightning to whittle away even more. Juno generally kept the enemies close to her. If you run into trouble...Juno is a beast.

I just beat the game. I found this one much easier (and shorter) than the others. Of course, I was playing on Easy, and my goal was to knock out as many trophies I can. Because of that, I made all the terrible choices I could, and I'm now watching the worst possible ending. "The brave go where they want to be." I want that on my tombstone.

Anyway, it's a crime this game only has 389 players. TBS is probably the best trilogy on the system. I'd put it up there with Arkham, Uncharted, and Dark Souls, and argue it did more with less. Really hoping my canon Alette run is a bit happier, though. I felt like a jackass making the choices I had to make to get back to Arberrang five times. It also seemed this game was more rushed than the others... And is this the first time they've hired voice actors? I liked what we got, but Rook...well, his voice doesn't match his body. He sounds more varl than human.

I'm a little confused why Dredge Slayer, Looter, and Warmonger didn't pop. All the dredge should have been dead, and I'm pretty sure I didn't skip any battles or waves... Did you have any problem with those? Apparently, I can get Guided on my Alette run, if I'm careful with the choices I make, and that would save me from having to play through TBS1/TBS2 again...but I don't know what else I can do differently. I'd like to do Alette Normal and then Alette Hard (with no losses) to finish off the series.

Also, I'm down to 90 games in my backlog! Yeah, I know that seems like a lot, but I got rid of a bunch of games that look like garbage (based on reviews or gameplay). Somebody let me know if Conan Exiles or Game of Thrones is any good. I'm a little leery about these free PS+ titles. (Yes, I know GoT the show is good.)

In fact... Here are all the games in my backlog. Let me know what I should get rid of.

Spoiler
  1. 10 Second Ninja X
  2. Amensia Collection
  3. Another World - 20th Anniversary Edition
  4. Bastion
  5. Beholder Complete Edition
  6. Beyond Eyes
  7. Beyond Two Souls
  8. Bound
  9. Bridge Constructor Portal
  10. Broforce
  11. Broken Age
  12. Child of Light
  13. Dark Cloud
  14. Dark Cloud 2
  15. Darksiders II
  16. Demetrios
  17. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  18. Don't Starve Together
  19. Downwell
  20. Dungeon Punks
  21. Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion
  22. Fe
  23. Flinthook
  24. Forgotten Anne
  25. forma.8
  26. Frisky Business
  27. Furi
  28. Galak-Z
  29. Gauntlet
  30. Goat Simulator
  31. God of War III Remastered
  32. Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
  33. Heavy Rain
  34. Helldivers
  35. Hitman GO
  36. Hitman
  37. Hollow Knight
  38. Hue
  39. Invisible, Inc.
  40. Just Cause 3
  41. LittleBigPlanet 3
  42. Lords of the Fallen
  43. Lumo
  44. Magicka 2
  45. Manual Samuel
  46. Mecho Tales
  47. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  48. Metal Slug 3
  49. Mighty No. 9
  50. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  51. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  52. NERO
  53. Neon Chrome
  54. Nom Nom Galaxy
  55. Oxenfree
  56. Portal Knights
  57. Psycho-Pass Mandatory Happiness
  58. Ratchet & Clank
  59. Rayman Legends
  60. Riptide GP: Renegade
  61. Rocketbirds 2: Evolution
  62. Rogue Aces
  63. SOMA
  64. South Park: The Fractured But Whole
  65. Stardew Valley
  66. Sundered
  67. Table Top Racing: World Tour
  68. Tearaway Unfolded
  69. Teslagrad
  70. The Bridge
  71. The Count Lucanor
  72. The Disney Afternoon Collection
  73. The Surge
  74. The Walking Dead: Season 2
  75. The Witcher 3
  76. This is the Police
  77. Titan Souls
  78. Toren
  79. Trackmania Turbo
  80. Transistor
  81. Trine 2
  82. Trine 3
  83. Typoman
  84. Uncanny Valley
  85. Wheels of Aurelia
  86. Wizards of Legend
  87. Worms Battlegrounds
  88. Yakuza Kiwami

Oh, and by "backlog," I mean I already own the game and it's in my library, so we'd basically be wanting to throw out games that aren't even worth playing for free...

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 11:23 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'm a little confused why Dredge Slayer, Looter, and Warmonger didn't pop. All the dredge should have been dead, and I'm pretty sure I didn't skip any battles or waves... Did you have any problem with those? Apparently, I can get Guided on my Alette run, if I'm careful with the choices I make, and that would save me from having to play through TBS1/TBS2 again...but I don't know what else I can do differently. I'd like to do Alette Normal and then Alette Hard (with no losses) to finish off the series.

I had a lot of trouble with Dredge Slayer, but not so much with Looter and Warmonger. From what I read, there are exactly 30 battles in the game and you need to fight all of them for Warmonger. But only some of the battles appear depending on your choices. I know there's an extra battle for siding with the King and attacking Rugga early. I know you need to send away Canary and insult the Varl to get another battle and I believe you need to do all five returns to Aberrang. This Steam guide gives you all the battles you need to fight and all the battles with Extra waves that count https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1532480051.

With Dredge Slayer, I couldn't get it to pop using my own saves...It popped for me using their pre-made Alette save.

Spoiler

I had to not let the Dredge in the gate when given the option when arguing with either Rugga (if you didn't kill him) or his replacement. Then, the fight against Bolverk at the end, I let my team lose, which kills everyone except Iver, Eyvind and Juno.

It was weird because I did this exact thing using my own save and it didn't pop but it did using the save they provide. If that doesn't work you could also try to

Spoiler

Let all 5 days pass in Arberrang and lose, killing everyone there and then losing to Bolverk so all of your other people die except Iver, Eyvind and Juno. I think you need to 'convince Eyvind to do the right thing' to at least have someone alive though.

I can't tell if that trophy was just glitchy, or if the Dredge Baby had something to do with it or what exactly. I know I replayed from chapter 20 on about five times trying different things before it popped.

On 4/21/2019 at 11:23 PM, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, it's a crime this game only has 389 players. TBS is probably the best trilogy on the system. I'd put it up there with Arkham, Uncharted, and Dark Souls, and argue it did more with less. Really hoping my canon Alette run is a bit happier, though. I felt like a jackass making the choices I had to make to get back to Arberrang five times. It also seemed this game was more rushed than the others... And is this the first time they've hired voice actors? I liked what we got, but Rook...well, his voice doesn't match his body. He sounds more varl than human.

I agree. I really liked how they kept the feel of the game the same, but changed it up enough that it was still interesting each part. My only gripe with TBS 3 is that the better you do, the less content you see. When you get Bat out of Hel you see so little of the content. Still, I'm very thankful you turned me onto the series as it has become one of my favorites.

/edit my vote is South Park Fractured But Whole...you've played a lot of serious epics and depressing stories...it might be fun to laugh a little :)

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 8:10 PM, Cassylvania said:

Platinum #164 - Nioh

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/f17334/trophies/1Le4b510.png

Great game, great combat, great story. I've said my piece on what I think about WotD, but it doesn't change the fact that the game never gets old, even if you are revisiting the same areas and fighting the same bosses ad nauseum. I think that's a testament to how good the gameplay is. I'm OK calling it a Souls game, because that's clearly where they drew inspiration from, but it's nice to see that it wasn't just a direct clone. I'm glad I picked this over Lords of the Fallen...

Congrats! We've discussed WotD quite a bit, and I totally see your point ? But despite what you think of that mode, I'm happy to see that your opinion about this game is still as positive as it is. Seriously, if not for Bloodborne, this would be my favorite game on the PS4 for sure. 

Lords of the Fallen is not thaaaaaaaaaaaat bad... ? 

On 4/22/2019 at 5:23 AM, Cassylvania said:

In fact... Here are all the games in my backlog. Let me know what I should get rid of.

Oh, and by "backlog," I mean I already own the game and it's in my library, so we'd basically be wanting to throw out games that aren't even worth playing for free...

Hmm I understood "get rid of" rather as "remove from my backlog without even looking at it", rather than "what I should play next" ? With that in mind, there are three games on that list that I wanna quickly comment on (that I have completed myself): 

• Child of Light: The best word to describe this one is "meh". Probably not bad enough to not play if you got it for free, but I was bored very quickly with this one. And that although I come from a long history of turn-based RPGs! At least it's not too long, but I would not want to play this one again. 

• Gauntlet: Not a bad game, actually pretty fun. But, I would NOT recommend playing this entirely by yourself. I played through the campaign with my girlfriend and another friend, and we had a blast. For the plat I then needed to play through the campaign once more on hard mode (playing through hard mode with more than 2 people is way too hard since the number of enemies that spawn increases with every additional player), do the endless mode and grind hours and hours for kills with each character, damage accumulated, etc... So, if you have someone to play this with (I guess you could also play online coop) then fine, but otherwise... think twice about it ?

• Oxenfree: I havent' been following this thread for too long, but I have the feeling that you might like this one more than I did. Still, it's not that I didn't like Oxenfree, it's that the plat forces you to play multiple times through the game, and there is not enough content. I felt really, REALLY bored. I don't wanna spoil anything, so won't go into specifics. But only play this one if you just wanna follow a story without actual gameplay. 

On another topic, I managed to finish Sekiro now over Easter, and without writing too much about it here, I ended up really enjoying this game. I will try to find the time to write my thoughts about it for my checklist, but I can really recommend that game to anyone looking for the next "beat my head against the wall over and over" experience. FromSoft is just genious. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

Hmm I understood "get rid of" rather as "remove from my backlog without even looking at it", rather than "what I should play next" 1f605.png With that in mind, there are three games on that list that I wanna quickly comment on (that I have completed myself):

Yeah, I probably should have phrased that better. I know most of the games I listed were good. I was asking if there's any garbage in there that I ignore. Regarding the three you said: I played Child of Light on the Xbox and liked it, Gauntlet...yeah, it reminds me of some game I played as a kid, but I can imagine why it'd be better with friends...and I actually paid for Oxenfree, so it better not suck!

The games everybody else suggested are pretty high on my backlog list, so I'm not worried about them. Except for The Surge, which I know nothing about... But Conan Exiles looks like horse manure. Going to have to start screening these PS+ games at the start of each month so this doesn't happen again.

Bastion, Hollow Knight, and Titan Souls are really going to test my patience. I've heard stories. Stardew Valley and The Witcher 3 really need to hold off until I can commit to something that long. Dark Cloud...you know, I know it's a fairly short platinum, but if I really like it and want to jump right into Dark Cloud 2...yeah. South Park could be cool, though.

18 hours ago, Briste said:

My only gripe with TBS 3 is that the better you do, the less content you see. When you get Bat out of Hel you see so little of the content. Still, I'm very thankful you turned me onto the series as it has become one of my favorites.

This series has an odd way of rewarding failure. I mean, look at the trophies. Survive the game with only 16 heroes, ring the bell to spawn more enemies like an idiot, get the shittiest ending possible, make bad life decisions... I get that it's not a particularly happy story, but there are some really bizarre achievements.

Anyway... you weren't kidding.

gMZmgRN.jpg

I thought Alette was broken, but Juno can solo every map if you pair her up with somebody wearing an item that decreases aggro. ?

• Like 3

@Cassylvania I wish my backlog was that small. xD Anyway, I'll give one game to ignore and one that I suggest. 

Do not, under any circumstances, unless you enjoy torturing yourself, play Amnesia. It is by far the most boring, dark, and painful game I've ever played. I'm not kidding when I say painful by the way, the screen rocks back and forth the entire time and makes you want to puke. The story is interesting, the level design is terrible, the puzzles make no sense and it's the least scary horror game I've ever played. You know what the best part is though? I get to do it all again, this time losing up to an hour of progress every time I die because the developers decided they were gonna add a ridiculous hard mode two years after release. Please, don't play it. 

Okay rant over. 

You should definitely play South Park. One of my favorite games on the PS4 so far and I loved every minute of it. Looking forward to playing the first one sometimes this week. 

• Like 2

Bastion is not that difficult. 

I did my first playthrough completely blind. Once you finish that off you unlock New Game Plus and Score Attack Mode. 

Score Attack Mode counts as New Game Plus but nothing will carry over. There’s a good build you can use for the dreams, which you need to complete with 10 idols invoked. Once you made a couple attempts you should have a good idea of what to do. 

Titan Souls I can definitely see some frustration. If you ever decide to do Furi, be prepared to practice A LOT.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The games everybody else suggested are pretty high on my backlog list, so I'm not worried about them. Except for The Surge, which I know nothing about... But Conan Exiles looks like horse manure. Going to have to start screening these PS+ games at the start of each month so this doesn't happen again.

The Surge is a game from Deck 13 the Lords of the Fallen developers. It´s in a Scifi Setting which I liked a lot. You don´t have a lot of bosses in the game, more Mobs but I liked the whole Feeling of the game. Sure, it´s again a Soulslike game but for me it was a Little bit fresher with the Scifi Setting :) 

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Bastion, Hollow Knight, and Titan Souls are really going to test my patience. I've heard stories. Stardew Valley and The Witcher 3 really need to hold off until I can commit to something that long.

Man... no love for Yakuza Kiwami! You are a hard nut to crack.

Like @Spaz said, Bastion is really doable. I played it on PC and had a good time with the game!

Regarding Titan Souls, it´s a short game and I was scared at first too :D but after looking some speedrun Videos on Youtube you really get the hang out of how the bosses are working. When you see that it´s possible to Play through the game in 20 minutes if everything went well, you are not so scared anymore to do some tries.

Stardew Valley is for me more a game that you should start and make some more breaks to not get bored to fast :) After 1 year ingame time I did make a break and did Play other games. I Can understand your Point on that

For the Witcher 3 I Can only say I loved every Minute in the game and the DLCs. It is a Long game but it is really worth it because it´s so good! But like for Stardew Valley, I did make a break for this game, this is the only reason why it took me so Long to platinum it.

South Park is a save pick, it´s not too Long and you are able to relax a Little bit, even if I must say that the last battles of the games are some hard Ones in my opinion.

• Like 3

Lords of the Fallen is pretty cheap now, but I've heard a lot of bad comments on it regarding it's combat system. Obviously they were trying to copy the Dark Souls formula but I guess they failed because the combat isn't as smooth and satisfying.

Nioh on the other hand looks a lot more intriguing and interesting.

2 minutes ago, Inuty said:

Regarding Titan Souls, it´s a short game and I was scared at first too :D but after looking some speedrun Videos on Youtube you really get the hang out of how the bosses are working. When you see that it´s possible to Play through the game in 20 minutes if everything went well, you are not so scared anymore to do some tries.

Sounds like it's easier than Furi. I had a hard time on Furier difficulty, because those type of fast paced games aren't what I'm good at.

I already watched those videos on YouTube and there are ones that are focused on the individual trophies. Really helpful.

3 minutes ago, Inuty said:

For the Witcher 3 I Can only say I loved every Minute in the game and the DLCs. It is a Long game but it is really worth it because it´s so good! But like for Stardew Valley, I did make a break for this game, this is the only reason why it took me so Long to platinum it.

My favorite, but be prepared to invest 100+ hours into it because that's how long it takes.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2019 at 7:04 PM, Kent10201 said:

@Cassylvania I wish my backlog was that small. xD Anyway, I'll give one game to ignore and one that I suggest. 

Do not, under any circumstances, unless you enjoy torturing yourself, play Amnesia. It is by far the most boring, dark, and painful game I've ever played. I'm not kidding when I say painful by the way, the screen rocks back and forth the entire time and makes you want to puke. The story is interesting, the level design is terrible, the puzzles make no sense and it's the least scary horror game I've ever played. You know what the best part is though? I get to do it all again, this time losing up to an hour of progress every time I die because the developers decided they were gonna add a ridiculous hard mode two years after release. Please, don't play it.

By "backlog", I really just mean games in my library folder that I either bought or were free PS+ games. I have a ton more games on physical disc or on my wish list.

But Amnesia is that bad? I thought it got pretty good reviews. I typically like horror games, but I suppose there are enough other ones to choose from... Amnesia, you're out of here! *deletes*

I've already forgotten about it. Ha! Get it?

On 4/24/2019 at 2:10 AM, Inuty said:

The Surge is a game from Deck 13 the Lords of the Fallen developers. It´s in a Scifi Setting which I liked a lot. You don´t have a lot of bosses in the game, more Mobs but I liked the whole Feeling of the game. Sure, it´s again a Soulslike game but for me it was a Little bit fresher with the Scifi Setting :) 

Man... no love for Yakuza Kiwami! You are a hard nut to crack.

I've already commented on Yakuza! But that's good to know about The Surge. I like that Dark Souls has inspired a lot of other games. And I do have Lords of the Fallen, if I ever want to get to that...

Platinum #165 - The Banner Saga 3

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/c9f757/trophies/1Lee799d.png

In the final entry of this epic trilogy, Alette and Juno take turns auditioning for Most Broken Character to Appear in an RPG. The only battle to give me trouble on Hard was the one where Juno decides to take a nap on the sidelines, but Iver (with the "Monster Hunter" title) showed he's no slouch either, racking up over 50 strength and one-shotting everything on screen. The only annoying thing was having to play through the game three four five times. I know it can be better optimized, but Warmonger didn't pop when it should've, the guide I was using forget to mention a necessary line of dialogue you had to choose for Looter (hint: it's the battle right before the final boss, which can ONLY be a wave battle if you choose the second option), and Scrape By is one of the shittiest trophies I've ever seen. It's bad enough so many of the trophies require you to suck, but that one requires you to suck just the right amount. Basically, you have to finish the game with as few characters alive as possible, BUT you can't lose everybody, BUT you can only kill off characters by performing particular actions, BUT these actions aren't very clear, BUT these actions also affect how much times you return to Arberrang, BUT you have to return to Arberrang at least three times to kill off enough characters, BUT if you return too many times, the game "rewards" you with more characters that make the trophy impossible to get on that playthrough. I lost track of how many times I had to replay Chapter 21 to finish the chapter at just the right time.

This is an obvious recommendation from me. TBS3 is the weakest in the series (and has the most jank trophies, which is saying a lot), but I still think it's one of the best trilogies on the PS4. Definitely deserves a banner. For this one, I'm going to give a shout out to Igor Artyomenko over at DeviantArt, who has some absolutely gorgeous fan art for TBS.

Juno by haryarti

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

@Cassylvania I promise you it’s that bad. No idea how it has as good of reviews as it does. Maybe it’s cause there weren’t many good horror games back in 2010? 

Congrats on The Banner Saga 3 plat! I’d like to get to the series at some point but I’m planning on doing XCOM first. 

Edited by Kent10201
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kent10201 said:

@Cassylvania I promise you it’s that bad. No idea how it has as good of reviews as it does. Maybe it’s cause there weren’t many good horror games back in 2010? 

I appreciate that it does something a bit different, but the execution could of been a lot better. 

There were good horror games in 2010. But this was before the video game industry became completely saturated with zombie apocalypse titles. Which is one reason why I’m not as excited for Days Gone as others are. 

If it’s anything like Sony’s newer exclusives it will be a very easy platinum that you can do on the easiest difficulty, amongst a bunch of busywork. Absolutely found myself bored to death almost looking for those silly Ravens and other collectibles in God of War 2018. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, Cassylvania said:

Anyway... you weren't kidding.

gMZmgRN.jpg

I thought Alette was broken, but Juno can solo every map if you pair her up with somebody wearing an item that decreases aggro. 1f602.png

lol wow you tried it to the extreme. I discovered this by chance. I thought Juno sucked at first...when she died I went around collecting the smoke, not knowing what it was doing. I accidentally walked into her dead body and saw that she rose again. I was like OHHHHH! I found out how broken she could be on the map where one enemy gets added per turn for like 5 turns. It was on my Restless attempt so all my Hero's were injured and I wasn't expecting multiple enemies to trickle in one at a time over several turns. I got caught in some bad positioning and I was dead except for Juno and Alfrun. I was going to restart the battle, but I figured what the hell...give it a try. I had Alfurn with the title that regenerated Will and I just had her kiting around the outside and using Ride the Lightning to chip away their STR/HP while Juno charmed the pants off the enemy. I never worried about a map after that discovery.

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The only annoying thing was having to play through the game three four five times.

I agree here. A lot of the trophies were opposite of each other and required similar but different outcomes and was really not the best way to experience the game. Trophy hunting aside, I think the series is amazing...their trophy choice selection left something on the table. Out of curiosity...what did you do to pop the Dredge Slayer trophy? Did it work on one of your saves or did you need to use the stock save?

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Scrape By is one of the shittiest trophies I've ever seen. It's bad enough so many of the trophies require you to suck, but that one requires you to suck just the right amount. Basically, you have to finish the game with as few characters alive as possible, BUT you can't lose everybody, BUT you can only kill off characters by performing particular actions, BUT these actions aren't very clear, BUT these actions also affect how much times you return to Arberrang, BUT you have to return to Arberrang at least three times to kill off enough characters, BUT if you return too many times, the game "rewards" you with more characters that make the trophy impossible to get on that playthrough. I lost track of how many times I had to replay Chapter 21 to finish the chapter at just the right time.

Scrape By didn't end up being too bad for me. I did it on my first runthrough on my Rook save. My Rook caravan had suffered pretty heavy losses in the previous games and I was already down about six or seven heroes. If you let Bolverk win that last battle, it pretty much takes care of one caravan (just don't get a bad ending) but the Rook/Alette/Oddleif caravan was much more challenging. I'm unsure if the "reward" for the fifth trip back counts against you. I remember when I got that reward I was super pissed, because I thought it was going to void Scrape By. I feel like there are several weird glitches that happen with these trophies, which may be due to save files crossing three games...but instead of voiding Scrape By, it popped even with that reward AND I got Keep It Together at the same time...which I definitely wasn't expecting due to my choices earlier in the game. I'm happy you enjoyed the game too!

That artwork is awesome...but it feels weird seeing Juno sew the Banner...it seems more like an Oddleif thing to do.

Sadly, Re: CoM is going to be a bit of a chore for me...I can't think of a game that has a worse battle system than this. When I heard it was a card game, I was expecting something turn-based where you could strategize more with your cards...I wasn't expecting real time battles and it just seems exceptionally chaotic and stupid. I spent 20 minutes killing one Fat Bandit in Agrabah because sleights had broken all my cards except two cure cards and one level 3 attack card. I didn't want to run away due to that trophy and I didn't want to restart from my last save since it had been about 40 minutes. It was so stupid how hard it was to get behind that Fat Bandit AND have him use a card that didn't break mine. That ass hole turned so quickly that he naturally blocked most of my attacks anyways. I haven't played in a couple days due to that annoyance (and because I started watching GoT since I can binge watch the whole thing now). I'm sure once I get a better feel for the game, it my be better...but so far the battle system sucks.

I saw Endgame last night and all I'll say is that I really enjoyed it a lot. It's not a perfect movie and has same pretty big plot holes....but I really enjoyed the ride and would recommend seeing it sooner rather than later. For me, it was very satisfying and I'd give it probably an 8 or 9/10.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Kent10201 said:

Congrats on The Banner Saga 3 plat! I’d like to get to the series at some point but I’m planning on doing XCOM first. 

Can't say I blame you there. Feel free to jump right to XCOM 2, since it's clearly the better game (and there isn't much story-wise that would be spoiled).

8 hours ago, Briste said:

lol wow you tried it to the extreme. I discovered this by chance. I thought Juno sucked at first...when she died I went around collecting the smoke, not knowing what it was doing. I accidentally walked into her dead body and saw that she rose again. I was like OHHHHH! I found out how broken she could be on the map where one enemy gets added per turn for like 5 turns. It was on my Restless attempt so all my Hero's were injured and I wasn't expecting multiple enemies to trickle in one at a time over several turns. I got caught in some bad positioning and I was dead except for Juno and Alfrun. I was going to restart the battle, but I figured what the hell...give it a try. I had Alfurn with the title that regenerated Will and I just had her kiting around the outside and using Ride the Lightning to chip away their STR/HP while Juno charmed the pants off the enemy. I never worried about a map after that discovery.

That's a good idea. I mostly paired her with Oli because Axe Blade + Death's Messenger can kill anything if you're lucky. Yeah, it's heavily RNG-based, but it gives you something to do while Juno does the heavy lifting.

I agree here. A lot of the trophies were opposite of each other and required similar but different outcomes and was really not the best way to experience the game. Trophy hunting aside, I think the series is amazing...their trophy choice selection left something on the table. Out of curiosity...what did you do to pop the Dredge Slayer trophy? Did it work on one of your saves or did you need to use the stock save?

So... My playthroughs were Easy Rook, Normal Alette, Hard Alette, Easy Alette for Warmonger/Looter/everything else. I didn't really expect Dredge Slayer or Scrape By to be a problem (based on the guide I was using), so I made decisions in my first three playthroughs that made those essentially impossible. For my fourth playthrough, I killed Castaway, saved Alette (so Bastion wouldn't join), and let Bolverk win. Wiping out both caravans did NOT pop the trophy for me.

Sadly, Re: CoM is going to be a bit of a chore for me...I can't think of a game that has a worse battle system than this. When I heard it was a card game, I was expecting something turn-based where you could strategize more with your cards...I wasn't expecting real time battles and it just seems exceptionally chaotic and stupid. I spent 20 minutes killing one Fat Bandit in Agrabah because sleights had broken all my cards except two cure cards and one level 3 attack card. I didn't want to run away due to that trophy and I didn't want to restart from my last save since it had been about 40 minutes. It was so stupid how hard it was to get behind that Fat Bandit AND have him use a card that didn't break mine. That ass hole turned so quickly that he naturally blocked most of my attacks anyways. I haven't played in a couple days due to that annoyance (and because I started watching GoT since I can binge watch the whole thing now). I'm sure once I get a better feel for the game, it my be better...but so far the battle system sucks.

I'm pretty sure my first post about the game was the exact same complaint. It does get better, though. The trick is realizing that battles are actually won outside of the combat. I know that sounds weird, but the cards in your deck and the order in which you place them are everything. Once you have a good setup, you can essentially spam the triangle button every battle. You'll just need to get a few sleights first to make the magic happen.

As for me, I'm back to Sekiro, and I broke out the ol' two trophy rule last night. If I never mentioned that before, my two trophy rule is that every time I pop one trophy in a game, I must pop at least one more trophy before moving on to the next game. This is nice because it keeps me from game-hopping too much. It's also good because sometimes I get stuck in a game -- like last night, when I reached the horse boss -- and this forces me to keep trying. I had popped one trophy a couple of hours before that, and I knew I'd get a second trophy for killing him, but he kept kicking my ass. Tried a few cheese strats, but ended up taking him down the right way, because I'm an honorable samurai (and because the cheese wasn't working).

Also, I don't think I told you guys, but I basically created my own song called HONORABLE SAMURAI for Nioh, where I just start signing, "I'm an honorable samurai" while abusing the game's mechanics. It was first sung when I found you could have an enemy chase you up a ladder and then knock him down every time he reaches the top. It became a song because it took about twenty tries to kill him, and I kept chanting the line every time I'd give him a good whack.

And if you think I'm honestly not doing this out loud for the entire house to hear, you don't know me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, there was the blue pen incident... But mostly I just like to have a plan, like Hannibal Smith.

Okay, so... Last night, I trashed some old hag and like four mini-bosses. I think I'm getting the hang of this game. My favorite mini-boss so far was the drunken sumo wrestler who tried to poison me with bad breath. So that's what Smough has been up to since moving out of his dorm.

After that, I've pretty much been running from bonfire idol to bonfire idol, grabbing whatever loot I can, and waiting for the next road block that will force me to actually learn how to play. And I think I've found it. I'm not sure what this thing is, but it's apparently From Soft's idea of what a giraffe looks like.

I have to be honest, it's hilarious reading your updates.. keep it up! ?

Anyways, in my opinion the drunkard is one of the best mini bosses, definitely one of my favorites as well! How did the fight with the old hag go? I remember killing the horse dude on my first try, but then needed a couple of attempts for beating her. The giraffe thing by the way is a perfect example of what I mean when I state that Sekiro is a rhythm game. 

You probably haven't seen it anyways, but while I kept writing my updates spoiler-free, I wrote a quite long post with my thoughts about Sekiro. That one is absolutely NOT spoiler-free. Just a heads up in case you end up over there at some point ?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 6:37 PM, Spaz said:

Sad that the creator of Spongebob is dead. 

Though to to be honest with you guys, the show should of ended a long time ago. Used to watch it a lot back in the early 2000s. Then it stopped being good.

I was at the age (you probably were too) when Spongebob first came out that I still watched cartoons, but I was beginning to get interested in more adult-orientated shows. Many of the earlier episodes were targeted towards that demographic, in a much tamer version of Family Guy or The Simpsons. These days, it's all Nickelodeon plays, and there's actually a really good video I saw on YouTube not too long ago that talks about how Spongebob killed the network. It's kinda depressing because Nickelodeon had a lot of other cartoons that aired in the early 2000's that got pushed away for the yellow sponge. Butch Hartman's shows were a big inspiration for me -- somebody who grew up loving animation and wanting to be an animator -- and it's absolutely criminal that Avatar: The Last Airbender only lasted three seasons. Spongebob just sucked up all the creativity from that network...like a sponge.

Of course, the same thing is happening now with movies and video games. It's all about merchandise and shareholders. But we've beaten that horse enough. I will say that I still adore the first three seasons of Spongebob, and the picture I posted still cracks me up, almost twenty years later.

On 4/28/2019 at 10:25 AM, Arcesus7 said:

Anyways, in my opinion the drunkard is one of the best mini bosses, definitely one of my favorites as well! How did the fight with the old hag go? I remember killing the horse dude on my first try, but then needed a couple of attempts for beating her. The giraffe thing by the way is a perfect example of what I mean when I state that Sekiro is a rhythm game.

I don't think I've beaten any of the bosses on my first, second, or even tenth try. But I had a harder time with horse boy than old hag. I got the gist of what you were supposed to do, but the problem is he'd keep running straight at me and catching me with the tip of his spear when I tried to run away. The old hag...I dunno, she seemed broken. All you have to do is dodge right, attack, dodge right, attack, and she gets stuck in a loop.

Right now, I'm stuck on the dude on top of Ashina Castle. I've gotten him to the third phase once, but it's one of those things where I don't get a chance to practice that phase because I die too quickly and have to redo the first two phases to get there again. I really don't have it in me right now to do a marathon battle, so I'm just exploring the rest of the areas to see what else I can do. Took out a knight on a bridge, some spear-wielding shmuck, and yeah, I killed the "giraffe" finally. Found a good farming spot too. Might chill there for a while so I can learn some new skills.

Oh, and I started playing Pic-a-Pix Classic (because of course I did) and Forgotten Anne. More on those later.

• Like 1