Cassylvania

Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

2,183 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I was at the age (you probably were too) when Spongebob first came out that I still watched cartoons, but I was beginning to get interested in more adult-orientated shows. Many of the earlier episodes were targeted towards that demographic, in a much tamer version of Family Guy or The Simpsons. These days, it's all Nickelodeon plays, and there's actually a really good video I saw on YouTube not too long ago that talks about how Spongebob killed the network. It's kinda depressing because Nickelodeon had a lot of other cartoons that aired in the early 2000's that got pushed away for the yellow sponge. Butch Hartman's shows were a big inspiration for me -- somebody who grew up loving animation and wanting to be an animator -- and it's absolutely criminal that Avatar: The Last Airbender only lasted three seasons. Spongebob just sucked up all the creativity from that network...like a sponge.

 

I enjoyed Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Cat Dog, Rocko’s Modern Life, the original Doug, and Rocket Power more than Spongebob.  NONE of those cartoons I just named are around anymore, and they even got cut off the rerun block. 

 

Nickelodeon had Kenan and Kel, GUTS and a couple game shows. These shows, like the cartoons, also got cut. 

 

I gave Nickelodeon one last chance with Nick Studio 10. One of the worst television shows I’ve had the misfortune of watching. Complete fucking garbage and a big middle finger to what Nick used to stand for.

 

Cartoon Network and Disney have also fallen far from their pedestals. Ed Edd n Eddy in comparison was a lot more edgy than today’s disgrace of a cartoon lineup. I enjoyed some Johnny Bravo and the early episodes of Dexter’s Laboratory. Disney is pretty self explanatory. 

 

If you find one of my status updates from two months ago you will see I linked some YouTube videos of cartoons I watched as a kid. There is nothing today that compares with Gargoyles or Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron. Even the cartoons Quack Pack and The Mighty Ducks were loads better than the shit I see now. 

 

Of course with movies you got those superhero films that rake the big money. Video games it’s whatever EA and Activision can grab hold of. This generation it’s all about how many open world games can they crank out.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spaz said:

 

I enjoyed Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Cat Dog, Rocko’s Modern Life, the original Doug, and Rocket Power more than Spongebob.  NONE of those cartoons I just named are around anymore, and they even got cut off the rerun block. 

 

If you find one of my status updates from two months ago you will see I linked some YouTube videos of cartoons I watched as a kid. There is nothing today that compares with Gargoyles or Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron. Even the cartoons Quack Pack and The Mighty Ducks were loads better than the shit I see now. 

Good old times :( I loved Mighty Ducks :D 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did Titan Souls and @Cassylvania, I know you mentioned this game in one of your recent posts. 

 

If you plan to play this game, be prepared for a lot of practice and lot of downloading from the Cloud. I would suggest a USB stick as an alternative because you can revert save files rather quickly. 

 

I didn’t find it quite as good as Furi, which I wholeheartedly recommend because it is an excellent game. Difficult, but it always remains fair.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Spaz said:

If you plan to play this game, be prepared for a lot of practice and lot of downloading from the Cloud. I would suggest a USB stick as an alternative because you can revert save files rather quickly.

 

I'll probably get to Titan Souls sometime this year. It looks really good. Glad I can abuse a USB stick, since that's the only way I've been able to platinum some games...

 

Anyway, Forgotten (or "Forgotton" as they spelled it) Anne is remarkably good. I didn't really know what to expect when I bought it. I think I just saw the hand-drawn animations and said, "Yes, please." It does not disappoint. Don't really know how I could explain the story without spoiling things/disturbing you, so I'm just going to say give it a try if you like anime and/or puzzle platformers. The only annoying thing is the controls. Anne's wings have an odd delay, and the direction you click for climbing stairs or ladders is sometimes counterintuitive.

 

Pic-a-Pix Classic is...more of the same. The squares only come in one color, but you can choose that color, so go with something easy on the eyes (or white, for a custom hard mode). I think I'm done with Picross games after this. If you really want to play one, go with Pic-a-Pix Color, since it's by far the best of the bunch.

 

I need a movie or TV-based game for the Songkran event. The only ones I have are Spider-man and The Walking Dead: Season 2, but neither of those really interests me right now. Don't want another LEGO game either. Maybe I can find something based on an anime...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Sounds good. Titan Souls and Furi are both pretty good, but I was a bit more frustrated with Titan Souls due to the nature of the trophies.

 

The Banner Saga trilogy really interests me but I am not that good at tactical strategy games. Do you think I stand a fair shot at it?

 

If you plan to 100 percent Batman: Arkham City let me know. I'm stuck on the DLC character campaigns.

 

Also how does the Kings Quest Collection fare? I hope it has a lot of death sequences you can see.

Edited by Spaz
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I need a movie or TV-based game for the Songkran event. The only ones I have are Spider-man and The Walking Dead: Season 2, but neither of those really interests me right now. Don't want another LEGO game either. Maybe I can find something based on an anime...

South Park: The Stick of Truth. Not an anime but a great game and you own it which is always a plus. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Spaz said:

The Banner Saga trilogy really interests me but I am not that good at tactical strategy games. Do you think I stand a fair shot at it?

 

If you plan to 100 percent Batman: Arkham City let me know. I'm stuck on the DLC character campaigns.

 

Also how does the Kings Quest Collection fare? I hope it has a lot of death sequences you can see.

 

You'll be fine with TBS. It's not nearly as grueling as XCOM, and you can use tactics that more or less break the game (like Alette's Overwatch ability in TBS2 and TBS3). The hardest thing will probably be getting the 100% in TBS2, since Survival Mode is harder than the base game and uses slightly different mechanics. You'll want Briste's guide for that.

 

I'll get back to Arkham in a couple weeks, when Mother's Day rolls around.

 

King's Quest is great. It might be my favorite game I've played this year.

 

34 minutes ago, Kent10201 said:

South Park: The Stick of Truth. Not an anime but a great game and you own it which is always a plus. 

 

Oh, that's true. I've played The Stick of Truth, but not the sequel. That could work, though.

 

Anyway... Trashed another game.

 

Platinum #166 - Pic-a-Pix Classic

1L984c57.png

 

I'm not going to entertain this one with a review, but I will say that Puzzle/Puzzle Platformers (23) are in a heated race with Action Platformers (21) and EZPZ games (24) to be my #1 most played genre, but Turn-Based/Tactical RPGs (20) and Shooters (19) are not far behind. It's weird to think that those five genres make up over 100 platinums on my profile, considering I'm not even sure any of those are my favorite...

 

Who do you think will reach 25 completed games first!?

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

King's Quest is great. It might be my favorite game I've played this year.

 

I don’t think we will ever see that level of quality that Sierra On-Line put into their adventure games ever again. 

 

The company is long dead and gone. I hope Roberta Williams and her former colleagues have found passions elsewhere. 

 

That being said, I hope the reboot King’s Quest has plenty of death sequences and a sense of humor. Those were two traits that made Sierra stand out, even though they borrowed a lot from old Disney movies. 

 

I was a little surprised to see the familiar Sierra logo pop up while I was testing the game the other night. Brings back memories. 

 

Funny that most of everyone now will just skip the dialogue and try to finish point and click games in the fastest time possible. Without caring at all about the work or art direction put into it. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spaz said:

That being said, I hope the reboot King’s Quest has plenty of death sequences and a sense of humor. Those were two traits that made Sierra stand out, even though they borrowed a lot from old Disney movies. 

 

I was a little surprised to see the familiar Sierra logo pop up while I was testing the game the other night. Brings back memories. 

 

Funny that most of everyone now will just skip the dialogue and try to finish point and click games in the fastest time possible. Without caring at all about the work or art direction put into it. 

 

It's a very faithful recreation of the KQ series. They allude to the older games a lot, and all the things that made those games great are back. The first episode actually brought tears to my eyes. They went for a more narrative-driven story than the trial-and-error methods you're probably used to, but I think it's done well. My only complaint is that it's over too quick. I think it's longer than most Telltale games, but the story advances too quickly for my liking. I remember playing through Episodes 4 and 5 and wishing I was back at the beginning. Not because they're of lower quality, but because there's a certain charm in exploring the land of Daventry as a young Graham that is lost as he becomes older.

 

I agree on your last point. I don't normally care if people skip through dialogue (I did it for Kingdoms of Amalur, because the story bored me to death), but this one would hurt if somebody legitimately said they didn't care for the characters or the story. It's so well-made, the voice actors are great (they got the legendary Christopher Lloyd to voice King Graham), and the animations are beautiful. I honestly can't praise this game enough, for anybody who enjoys that era of gaming as much as me. It really is like playing a Disney game.

 

Hey, they got a game called Block-a-Pix. I wonder if I should... NO.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TellTale is basically point and clicks for today’s generation who were/are not familiar with those old retro LucasArts/Sierra point and clicks from times past. So I’m glad that The Odd Gentlemen made something that is a bit of a throwback to the old Sierra games me and my older sister loved so much. 

 

It is absolutely criminal that those old LucasArts Indiana Jones games have not been remade. Day of the Tentacle got one so why not Indiana Jones? 

 

I don’t think Batman is all that difficult as much as it is time consuming. I basically have New Game Plus, and you have to do every side mission over again to get that Perfect Knight trophy. Then of course there is the challenges and campaigns. Which is fine for Batman, but absolutely tedious doing that all again for Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing each. That includes additional maps for Robin and Nightwing that you have to score 3 stars. 

 

The Harley Quinn DLC is fairly easy and quick. 

 

Are you waiting on Cities: Skylines? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I agree on your last point. I don't normally care if people skip through dialogue (I did it for Kingdoms of Amalur, because the story bored me to death), but this one would hurt if somebody legitimately said they didn't care for the characters or the story. It's so well-made, the voice actors are great (they got the legendary Christopher Lloyd to voice King Graham), and the animations are beautiful. I honestly can't praise this game enough, for anybody who enjoys that era of gaming as much as me. It really is like playing a Disney game.

 

It's not that long ago when I was one of those dudes who started to skip every single cutscene if it bored me within the first 3-5 occasions. The last game where I did this was RDR (but partly because I borrowed it from my brother-in-law and he intended to sell it, so I wanted to hurry) and it was such a slog because of that. Funnily enough that's also the game which made me never do that again :P Because replaying it about half a year later WITHOUT skipping anything it made that game actually pretty interesting. Now I suffer through every shitty story, no matter if it's for kids like Ratchet & Clank or utter crap like FF15. I may not read every single piece of intel (like the books in Skyrim), but I watch and listen to every single story beat.

 

Next weekend Yakuza 0 will step up to the plate (with some L.A. Noire here and there). My body is ready.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jens said:

It's not that long ago when I was one of those dudes who started to skip every single cutscene if it bored me within the first 3-5 occasions. The last game where I did this was RDR (but partly because I borrowed it from my brother-in-law and he intended to sell it, so I wanted to hurry) and it was such a slog because of that. Funnily enough that's also the game which made me never do that again :P Because replaying it about half a year later WITHOUT skipping anything it made that game actually pretty interesting. Now I suffer through every shitty story, no matter if it's for kids like Ratchet & Clank or utter crap like FF15. I may not read every single piece of intel (like the books in Skyrim), but I watch and listen to every single story beat.

 

Next weekend Yakuza 0 will step up to the plate (with some L.A. Noire here and there). My body is ready.

 

That’s good. Most people just skip through dialogue like that to get their platinum trophy quicker.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 7:01 PM, Cassylvania said:

I'm pretty sure my first post about the game was the exact same complaint. It does get better, though. The trick is realizing that battles are actually won outside of the combat. I know that sounds weird, but the cards in your deck and the order in which you place them are everything. Once you have a good setup, you can essentially spam the triangle button every battle. You'll just need to get a few sleights first to make the magic happen.

I'm on the 7th floor and it has gotten a lot better. Once you have the cards and the CP to have enough cards in the deck it is much, much easier. Now that the battles have more of a flow to them, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I'm taking my time though...I'm taking some time to watch some more TV...read some. Doing an event back to back for a year straight has burned me out a bit so I'm taking this series a little leisurely.

 

Quote

Good old times :( I loved Mighty Ducks :D 

I saw this in the theater when I was a kid...probably Emilio Estevez's best work! When I played NHL Hockey for the Genesis, I would only score using the triple deek lol

 

Quote

I need a movie or TV-based game for the Songkran event. The only ones I have are Spider-man and The Walking Dead: Season 2, but neither of those really interests me right now. Don't want another LEGO game either. Maybe I can find something based on an anime...

I agree with @Kent10201, South Park is the way to go. I really enjoyed Spider-Man but I wouldn't recommend it while you are playing Batman...the controls are just similar enough to fuck with you and make the fighting frustrating. I'd say keep it on the shelf until you are done with Batman.

 

Quote

The Banner Saga trilogy really interests me but I am not that good at tactical strategy games. Do you think I stand a fair shot at it?

It's really not that bad. It does take a little getting used to since the HP/STR share a number so as your HP go down so does your power so it often makes sense to weaken your enemies instead of killing them. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do it's not so bad. But Cassy is right...just when you get used to it...the DLC will mess with you. I highly recommend it though.

 

How excited are you about not only the CIties Skyline DLC...but what appears to be a Swords of Ditto DLC...in the words of Tom Cruise in 'A Few Good Men' (and countless others I'm sure)...and the hits just keep on coming...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Briste said:

I saw this in the theater when I was a kid...probably Emilio Estevez's best work! When I played NHL Hockey for the Genesis, I would only score using the triple deek lol

 

I actually meant the Disney cartoon show. 

 

51 minutes ago, Briste said:

It's really not that bad. It does take a little getting used to since the HP/STR share a number so as your HP go down so does your power so it often makes sense to weaken your enemies instead of killing them. It takes a little getting used to, but once you do it's not so bad. But Cassy is right...just when you get used to it...the DLC will mess with you. I highly recommend it though.

 

Possibly... when my backlog is reduced a bit. 

 

I got Saints Row IV, Assassins Creed 3 and Assassins Creed Unity to play through. Going to be busy for a while. 

 

51 minutes ago, Briste said:

How excited are you about not only the CIties Skyline DLC...but what appears to be a Swords of Ditto DLC...in the words of Tom Cruise in 'A Few Good Men' (and countless others I'm sure)...and the hits just keep on coming...

 

I only want to see a proper city building game that’s not some cheap mobile game garbage. No microtransactions, because they ruin the city building aspect. 

 

Cities: Skylines looks to be what SimCity 5 should of been, which sealed the nail in the coffin for the franchise. I generally prefer PC games for strategy, since generally they have to be nerfed for console because there’s only so much you can do with a controller and the strategy game market just does not bode all too well outside of Steam and PC. You have a lot more commands with a mouse and keyboard, plus I like to customize options whenever I play a PC strategy game. 

 

Railway Empire actually interests me more since I enjoy history and it reminds me a great deal of Railroad Tycoon. Played that a lot back in the early 2000s. 

 

If I bought everything that people here suggested I would be around 300 - 500+ games on my backlog. At which point I wouldn’t stand a chance in playing through them all. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Jens said:

Next weekend Yakuza 0 will step up to the plate (with some L.A. Noire here and there). My body is ready.

 

Have fun with it! For me the best entry in the series. I´m jealous that you Can experience the Story fresh ;) 


I know you will enjoy the game!

 

I did find new motivation to play kingdom hearts again.. i plated 2 this week and try to finish BBS now.  Hope the Motivation is high enough for BBS :D

 

Edited by Inuty
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Inuty said:

 

Have fun with it! For me the best entry in the series. I´m jealous that you Can experience the Story fresh ;) 


I know you will enjoy the game!

 

I did find new motivation to play kingdom hearts again.. i plated 2 this week and try to finish BBS now.  Hope the Motivation is high enough for BBS :D

 

Well I'll be playing your favorite in a pretty long series of games and you're playing my favorite, sounds fair to me :P Even after my final KH3 platinum BBS is still the one I enjoyed the most. I guess the (almost) clean sheet in regards to the story helped a lot, it felt pretty straight forward.

 

8 hours ago, Briste said:

I'm on the 7th floor and it has gotten a lot better. Once you have the cards and the CP to have enough cards in the deck it is much, much easier. Now that the battles have more of a flow to them, I'm enjoying it a lot more. I'm taking my time though...I'm taking some time to watch some more TV...read some. Doing an event back to back for a year straight has burned me out a bit so I'm taking this series a little leisurely.

 

Just be glad that you're not playing the PS3 version. Imagine playing the game 6 times (basically), wouldn't you love that? :P That was quite the snooze fest, spamming Jafar + OP sleights barely helped enough to make it tolerable. And this game is the point where KH's story started teetering for me. Not really within the game itself, but how they treated that portion of the story later on, it gets so convoluted... and the grand finale didn't make it all that much better in my personal experience, but that's too far in the future for you to already start talking about it :P

Edited by Jens
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I enjoy the lore and the characters in Kingdom Hearts, the series just isn't my cup of tea.

 

I've tried countless times to play the games back in the Playstation 2 days and later on during the 360/PS3 era but was always turned off by it being a RPG along with this other stuff that I never saw the appeal for.

 

If I had to pick between Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts I would pick KH. Final Fantasy has gone too far into outer space, I can barely recognize anything about it anymore.

 

I enjoyed Final Fantasy X, but I would not play it for the platinum because it's much too long and I generally hate games that take over 100 hours unless it's something I really like. Final Fantasy 13 was garbage, never cared for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and it sounds like I will never touch Final Fantasy XV. Now Square has made it where you can't even 100 percent all the trophies unless you revert to an older game update and not update the rest.

 

Sad that a once great franchise and one that many consider to be the series that started JRPGs in the first place has turned to crap. But there's too many goddamn sequels.

 

If I am ever going to play Final Fantasy on this account it would probably be Final Fantasy 7, which carries a lot of nostalgia with it. Final Fantasy 6 would be a godsend since that was the first JRPG I ever played in my life and one that basically introduced me to JRPGs. Square couldn't care less about that game, or Chrono Trigger for that matter, one of the best JRPGs of all time.

 

Kingdom Hearts at least has the familiar flagship Disney characters we all know and love, and a story that you can at least get behind.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Jens said:

Just be glad that you're not playing the PS3 version. Imagine playing the game 6 times (basically), wouldn't you love that? :P That was quite the snooze fest, spamming Jafar + OP sleights barely helped enough to make it tolerable. And this game is the point where KH's story started teetering for me. Not really within the game itself, but how they treated that portion of the story later on, it gets so convoluted... and the grand finale didn't make it all that much better in my personal experience, but that's too far in the future for you to already start talking about it :P

Yeah that would have sucked all the fun out I think...unless you did it over years. I honestly forget to use Jafar half the time...I pretty much just spam Blizzard Raid and Fire Raid and that pretty much kills everything before I even need to reload my deck. If I do...I have the attack cards set up to do Sonic Blade. I think I've only used Jafar about six times...the hardest boss for me so far was Hades, but that was because I only had 1 blizzard card. I had to go farm a bit before I could go back to beat him.

 

I'm not sure how I feel about the story yet...I like it and find it kind of lazy story telling at the same time. I honestly feel like it's a Star Wars: A New Hope vs Star Wars: The Force Awakens comparison...CoM seems to be rehashing a lot of KH1, yet changing it up just enough to make it still interesting. I can tell the grind is going to be real when trying to level up Sora and Riku to 99...

 

Speaking of Riku...I meant to bring this up when I was playing KH but didn't. I was super confused for a bit and can't understand why Square would name two different characters the same thing in two different games. Every time I read/heard Riku before playing KH....I assumed that they were talking about Rikku from Final Fantasy X. Since Kingdom Hearts is littered with Final Fantasy characters, that would make sense. Rikku was was created first so they should have named Riku something else I think...anyways I just wanted to see if anyone else had that problem...

 

3 hours ago, Spaz said:

 

I enjoyed Final Fantasy X, but I would not play it for the platinum because it's much too long and I generally hate games that take over 100 hours unless it's something I really like. Final Fantasy 13 was garbage, never cared for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and it sounds like I will never touch Final Fantasy XV. Now Square has made it where you can't even 100 percent all the trophies unless you revert to an older game update and not update the rest.

FF XV was really the only one I didn't love, and I think I would have liked it more if I waited for the Royal Release, however as a Fanboy I wasn't ever going to wait that long. I am one of the few people who actually enjoyed FFXIII and the paradigm system. I know the big complaint there was how linear the beginning was, but I didn't find it any more linear than FFX.

 

Sorry Cassy for the slight thread hijack...but here is my personal Final Fantasy rankings (main console) that no one asked for :)

 

1. FF VI

2. FF XI

3. FF IV

4. FF I 

5. FF VII

6. FF Tactics

7. FF XIV

8: FF X

9. FF VIII

10. FF XIII-2

11. FF XIII

12. FF IX

13. FF Type-0

14. FF Lightning Returns

15. FF XII

16. FF X-2

17. FF V

18. FF XV

19. FF II

20. FF III

21. FF Mystic Quest

 

Final Fantasy II, III and V are the only ones I've never beaten which is the only reason they are as low as they are...I don't know as much about them as the others. I'll say I loved all of the top 12 on the list with the rest being average or better except for Mystic Quest, which really doesn't even belong on this list. At some point, I will finish II, III and V just so I can say I've beaten every single one of them.

Edited by Briste
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Wow, all this talk about FF and I can't even join in, as the only games I've played are never mentioned with the series and probably aren't even real FF games (World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). I loved FFTA, though.

 

I'm too lazy to quote everybody, so some thoughts after reading everything over:

  • I'm down to the final two trophies in Shitties: Crylines, and they're just as bad as I imagined. In theory, they'll both pop if I leave the PS4 idle long enough, but ~12 hours/week isn't getting it done. Might have to start night shifting it.
  • I hope you're joking about that Dords of Shitto DLC. They should probably make a complete game before they release "bonus" content. Oh, wait. I forgot this is 2019.
  • If anybody plays Railway Empire, let me know how it is. I'm interested too.
  • Riku/Rikku confuses me too. When I started playing KH1, I kept thinking "Riku" was referring to Kairi, since it sounds like a girl's name. Knowing KH, though, they're probably the same person in a past life on another planet of an alternate reality of somebody's dream in a parallel universe where a time paradox has taken place.

I decided to give my PS4 a rest by playing Skylanders Giants. It's the second in the series...and probably the worst. Unlike Spyro's Adventure, I actually have to beat all the levels on Nightmare, which is that money-guzzling difficulty that practically forces you to have a whole army of figures (which I do). Drobot remains king, but I gotta admit -- I'm coming around to Jet-Vac. I used to think he sucks (well, he does have a vacuum), but he's come in clutch a few times. His vacuum can damage multiple enemies at once, and his blaster knocks enemies back, so it's kinda fun to go SUCK-BLOW-SUCK-BLOW-SUCK-BLOW.

 

Yeah, that won't be taken out of context or anything...

 

Three more levels and I'll be done with Nightmare for good!

Edited by Cassylvania
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I hope you're joking about that Dords of Shitto DLC. They should probably make a complete game before they release "bonus" content. Oh, wait. I forgot this is 2019.

It appears like I may have misread the headline. I guess an expansion came out the other day which I interpreted to be a DLC...you may have lucked out and it is it's own game

 

24 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, that won't be taken out of context or anything...

 

My brain went immediately to Space Balls...

 

Have you decided on your movie or TV based game?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Briste said:

1. FF VI

2. FF XI

3. FF IV

4. FF I 

5. FF VII

6. FF Tactics

7. FF XIV

8: FF X

9. FF VIII

10. FF XIII-2

11. FF XIII

12. FF IX

13. FF Type-0

14. FF Lightning Returns

15. FF XII

16. FF X-2

17. FF V

18. FF XV

19. FF II

20. FF III

21. FF Mystic Quest

 

Talk about milking a franchise...

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Briste said:

It appears like I may have misread the headline. I guess an expansion came out the other day which I interpreted to be a DLC...you may have lucked out and it is it's own game.

 

You had me worried there... Not that TSoD was a bad game, but it needs a lot of polish before I'd consider it a complete one.

 

5 hours ago, Briste said:

Have you decided on your movie or TV based game?

 

I'll probably go with South Park, since everybody wants me to play it (and it's free). Although, TECHNICALLY, I could say Skylanders counts, since they made a Netflix show out of it. Maybe I'll watch it sometime. It looks to have a good cast of VAs... (Unfortunately, Patrick Warburton is only in one episode.)

 

Anyway...

 

Platinum #167 - Skylanders Giants

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/6d7783/trophies/1Lba0c73.png

 

Let's take a moment to appreciate the platinum title being, "NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and the image having nothing to do with the game itself. Truly a work of art.

 

There you have it. Six out of six Skylanders games completed. Haven't touched the one on mobile, but let's be real -- mobile games aren't real games. (Ooh, shots fired.) While I said this is the worst Skylanders game, let me be clear why: it's not as charming as the first one, and the graphics are nowhere near as good as the PS4 versions. If you really want to get into this series -- or even just to play one game to see what all the hype was about -- I'd suggest Swap Force or Trap Team. They're also the hardest ones to platinum. If you want something easy to platinum that is still a good game, try Imaginators. And if you want to see some wacky shit, there's always SuperChargers...

 

As usual, you'll want a full team (10+ figures) of Skylanders for this one. I had trouble with the end of Chapter 15 (if you're not careful, you can get pinned against the wall by giant enemies, which basically forces you to restart the chapter) and the final boss. I mostly used Drobot, Gil Grunt, Trigger Happy, and newcomer Jet-Vac. Everybody else is fodder as far as I'm concerned because you're screwed on Nightmare if you don't have a long range attack. Oh, and make sure you have a Giant if you pick this one up. You'll need it for the platinum. (I used Tree Rex and he seemed okay.)

 

I'd show a picture for this one, but who knows what kind of furry stuff I'd end up with if I start Googling Skylanders characters.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Briste said:

 

I am one of the few people who actually enjoyed FFXIII and the paradigm system. I know the big complaint there was how linear the beginning was, but I didn't find it any more linear than FFX.

I enjoyed FFXIII as well. And you're right, FFX was just as linear as FFXIII, but people generally don't view that game's linearity as a negative, while they still do for FFXIII.

 

I've never understood the "Linearity is Bad!" argument when it comes to FFXIII. My theory is that the game released around the same time the open world genre was really beginning to boom, and people riding that craze began to view non-open world games as inferior or boring. If a game was linear, it was almost certain that reviewers would cite the linearity as an automatic negative. Now it seems that linear games aren't automatically viewed as inferior the way they were at FFXIII's time, but the stigma sticks to the game unfortunately.

 

Oh, and you should definitely make time for FFV. The job system in that game is awesome.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I lurked. Stalked this topic for years like a creep-o-lantern. But now this post calls out to me - I can practically hear the angels sing my name ψ(`∇´)ψ and swear that isn’t due to sleep deprivation - as I happen to have a box full of cute (important) dragon Skylanders somewhere. (And 3 hand-me-down PS3 games.)

 

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

If you really want to get into this series -- or even just to play one game to see what all the hype was about -- I'd suggest [...]

 

Uh huh. ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ Yes, I understand. I shall start with Spyro’s Adventure sometime this year then. 

 

(I think that particular portal needed good old batteries. Fun.)

 

 

Oh and congrats on the platinum ♪ I think my mom got started on Skylanders with Giants. 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fenrirfeather said:
I lurked. Stalked this topic for years like a creep-o-lantern. But now this post calls out to me - I can practically hear the angels sing my name ψ(`∇´)ψ and swear that isn’t due to sleep deprivation - as I happen to have a box full of cute (important) dragon Skylanders somewhere. (And 3 hand-me-down PS3 games.)

 

It was the furry comment, wasn't it? 😂

 

*ahem* Welcome to the patch! No need to be shy. You might be the only person to ever take me up on my Skylanders recommendation. Everybody else is like, "Really, Cass? You expect us to take you seriously as a gamer when you have that on your profile?" But what they don't get is they're actually really fun games, and not nearly as easy as you would think. (In fact, I think they're better than the LEGO games, since they tell an original story with much more unique characters.)

 

But...I'm pretty sure I didn't recommend Spyro's Adventure...

 

So, anyway, I hopped on Sekiro to see if I could remember how to play, and I accidentally killed Genichiro. I got to his third phase, parried him almost immediately, and just kept spamming buttons until I somehow reflected his lightning attack in midair and broke his posture. I think I went through all five stages of grief in that fight too. It was a wild two minutes, but further proof that if you're ever stuck somewhere, just play something different for a while.

 

Tomorrow, let's get back to Forgotten-how-to-spell Anne and maybe South Park.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.