Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

On 7/13/2019 at 3:18 PM, Cassylvania said:

I really liked SotFS too. It always makes me sad to hear people say Dark Souls 2 is the weakest of the series, but then I realize that all the games are fantastic, so it's hardly an insult. If I had time, I'd go back and platinum DS1 and DS2 on the PS3, but I'm a little burned out on the Souls series. That is, until I came up with the greatest idea ever. Check this out... Disney Souls.

Or is that already Kingdom Hearts on Critical Mode?

This is the version of DS 2 I have. I didn't realize there was a difference in the main game. I had just assumed it included a DLC or something. In all fairness, I haven't really looked into it yet since I keep putting off this series.

Being elbows deep in KH right now, I can say that the biggest difference between the two is the ability to 'continue' and in the later games the ability to 'retry' most boss battles. Critical is definitely a challenge, but the consequences aren't nearly as dire as Souls. I know Re: CoM just about ruined the series for you, but when do you think you might go back to it? KH2 and BBS alone are worth playing. I just started DDD and I'm getting a WoFF flavor so far...but so far it's not bad...just different from the other games.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:18 PM, Cassylvania said:

What will happen if I reach $99,999,999 and earn one more dollar?

a.) Another digit will appear, putting me at $100 billion million.

b.) Nothing, as that is the maximum amount allowed by the game.

c.) The game will crash and delete all my save files.

d.) The world will never know, as the trophy will pop first.

I'm guessing you will trigger the Y2K that was supposed to happen on New Years Eve in '99 :)

9 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

"Fell Seal" may be the worst title I've ever heard for a video game..

What about Phil's Epic Adventure ;) 

Here is my solution to this conundrum... From now on, whenever you have a movie or game that is a direct sequel, it is given a number. No subtitles. Subtitles can be for reboots or prequels, and SEQUELS to those reboots or prequels can be given numbers as well. For Lara, it can mean the trilogy on the PS3 is simply Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider 2, and Tomb Raider 3. No Legend, Anniversary, or Underworld. We can use a subtitle for the 2013 reboot to differentiate it from the original (or a different name altogether). For example, Tomb Raider: Rounder Boobs (for 2013), Tomb Raider: Rounder Boobs 2 (for Rise of the Tomb Raider), and Tomb Raider: Rounder Boobs 3 (for Shadow of the Tomb Raider). And you know, they actually might've been onto something with the "_______ of the Tomb Raider" theme, if only they had done it with the 2013 version. Instead, they went with the most generic title possible. Where's the consistency, guys?

I can get on board with this. It is terribly confusing and God of War did it with Chains of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta and Ascension as well. It's actually kind of funny...my 5 year old son made this same observation last week. I took him to see Toy Story 4 and he was arguing with me that it wasn't actually Toy Story 4. I was trying to explain to him that it was, and he pointed out that they had released two short 'movies' The Toy Story That Time Forgot and Toy Story of Terror. He said this was actually Toy Story 6 and that they were lying by calling Toy Story 4 the 4th one. I laughed and couldn't really argue with his logic and had to tell him he was right.

What about you guys? What's your most dominant series? Is it one you like, and are there still games you're missing?

Far and away Final Fantasy for me with 15 titles. Next up is Batman with 10, KH will have 9, and GoW with 7 . Historically and nostalgically, I would have to say Final Fantasy is my most favorite/dominant series since I bought consoles based on that series...however I haven't been as happy with their recent content. I'd have to say from soup to nuts, the Batman series has been my most favorite series to date. 

Edited by Briste
  • Like 3

Well, the whole title is Fell Seal: Arbiter’s Mark, which is a bit better. It is definitely inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics, especially the job system, down to that you need proficiency in other jobs to unlock new classes, and that each class has active skills and passives. You have the skillset and passives of your chosen job, you can chose a second skillset of any class you unlocked (with the skills you already learned), and you can set any two additional passives (from every passive you learned, not tied to the second skill set.

In addition, there are secret classes that need certain items that drop or can be crafted to unlock. There is a basic crafting system, which allows you to craft special items.

The job skills are a mix of unique skills and skills that other classes can learn as well (like e.g. healing or attack magic). Every character gets a permanent bonus for mastering a class, so there is an incentive to switch classes. Characters also get a small share of Job AP from units that participated in combat.

The game has multiple base difficulty settings you can chose. Great about ist hat you can also turn on/off the individual setting to adjust the diffculty to your liking. For instance, getting downed in a fight can , depending on difficulty, have no effect, lead to an injury that reduces stats (to get rid of it, the unit hast to sit out one battle per injury), or if you play with perma-death, the unit dies after a certain amount of injuries. The game would suit to veterans of tactical turn based combat as well as newcomers. It’s like at a BBQ, just with BYOD (bring your own difficulty) instead of BYOB.

Units that sit out get some job AP, but no EXP. In the end, you are going to play with the unique characters plus two, max three recruitable character if not playing with perma-death, the others are too underleveled. So only with perma-death you would need power leveling (but you could simply reload before a battle that went bad). You can fight battles  (by choice) on former maps, and enemies scale to a map level.

In my experience, the difficulty is quite high in the beginning, when you didn’t unlock more classes and skills. When your guys start to develop, it becomes fair, then relatively easy towards the end.

The biggest difference to other TTB games is that buffs and debuffs play a much more prominent role. Not only are there skills that apply buffs and debuffs, many skills come with an added buff/debuff. Trade offs for weapons and armors in AT/DEF gain for status or element immunity have more effect than usual, I think. The enemy regularly uses them, too, which is neat. The enemy also tries to heal and resurrect their fallen, and even… but find out for yourself in the late stages. He he.

Time wise I’d say 45 – 65 hours for the Plat for an experienced player? There is some sidestuff (triggered by revisiting locations at the right time, not via quest board), so depending on how quickly you pick it up or get a certain drop, it might differ.

The question I cannot answer is: Is it worth it for 30 $? I am a day 1 buyer if I know of the game in time, which is my way of supporting game developers. I almost never buy DLC, so that’s a one time investment.

How does it compare to God Wars: Future past? I am really bad at making comparisions. Let’s say the combat differs, magic spells don’t have large AoE and generally not a long range, so apart from Bows and guns, the combat is much more close up. When around the same level with enemies, the odds are slightly tipped in their favor until you kill the first enemy.

The MP pool of characters builds up per round, starting from zero, so you can’t spam the best skills in the beginning.

Item use is restricted to a set number of items. You can craft items to increase the number and to get other item types, though. Items refresh for every battle, so you don’t need to sit on them „for a better opportunity“. Use that potion. That is pretty neat, I think, I used them items more than I usually do, despite their low numbers.

Ultimately, Fell Seal’s story appealed to me better than God Wars‘ story.

---

Most dominant series? In pure numbers, it is Final Fantasy – VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII, XII, XIII-2, XIII-3, XV, Type-0 HD and Final Fantasy tactics. That‘s 12 FF games.

Then there is with

7: Disgaea 1 – 5, D2, and Disgaea 1 complete (as remake of the first game), Resident Evil 1 - 7
6: Suikoden I- V and Suikoden tactics
5: Uncharted 1 – 4 and Lost Legacy, GTA I – III, Vice City and San Andreas (technically I also started IV, only to be bored by it), Metal Gear Solid 1 – 5 (I played 4 before trophies, didn’t feel like going after trohpies when I saw how tedious it’ll be)
4: Mass Effect Trilogy and Andromeda, Civilization I – IV, Wing Commander I - IV

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 3

On 8.7.2019 at 6:57 AM, Cassylvania said:

I hear the quest-related trophy is glitched in a good way, so you have some leeway on how many quests you actually have to complete.

That trophy just popped for me, so it must be glitched (in favor), since I am still not on  the end of the game. Ah, what a reason to double post. The times we live in...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Briste said:

Being elbows deep in KH right now, I can say that the biggest difference between the two is the ability to 'continue' and in the later games the ability to 'retry' most boss battles. Critical is definitely a challenge, but the consequences aren't nearly as dire as Souls. I know Re: CoM just about ruined the series for you, but when do you think you might go back to it? KH2 and BBS alone are worth playing. I just started DDD and I'm getting a WoFF flavor so far...but so far it's not bad...just different from the other games.

Working on each of the old KH games in Kill Your Completion X. Just finished re:Chain of Memories and tomorrow will be Critical Mode KH2. I think it's best just to get this brutal difficulty out of the way now. In my previous attempts, the farthest I got was the (spoiler) fight, your first boss fight in the final world. Forgot that you have no choice but to spam Reflega to avoid getting one-shot by this first attack, no matter what your level.  :(

Right now I am working on Dragon Quest Builders 1 so I can start playing Dragon Quest Builders 2. It's a great building simulation game with combat splashed in. The bosses are really cool. :D

If I get Dreams back, the first thing I will do is try to create a trophy-supportive variant of Miitopia. I really love that game because of the huge amount of character customization, and I think the Dark Lord stole the Dragonlord's hat. ^_^

Edited by RuneEyesDragon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gruffiiti said:

Finally!!  What a crazy trophy. I'd be curious to know how many hours you have logged..

If I had to guess, somewhere around 200-250 hours. That's just for that one trophy. I've probably put in close to 400 hours for the 100%. I think that's a record for my account.

I don't think my war with Cities is over yet, though. There's a Campus DLC out on PC that I'm sure will find its way to consoles, and probably more to come. I think those bastards could drop three or four more DLC packs before Sony tells them to stop.

3 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

And how much $$ it added to Cassy's electricity bills 1f602.png1f602.png

Seriously.... I actually stuck my PS4 in the closet (because there's a hole in the wall that leads into my bedroom for some reason), and it gets so damn hot in there that it's like walking into a sauna. If I had played this more in the winter, I probably could've saved a lot on my heating bills. 1f602.png

Alright. I didn't ignore all the previous comments. I was just very excited when that thing popped. I had a FEELING too, as soon as I turned on the game and saw the tornado warning pop up. It just FELT like it was about it happen.

8 hours ago, Briste said:

I'll get to KH2 soon. I want to get the PS3 version of 358/2 Days so I can at least say I got the trophies for that game (movie). Maybe seeing the new Lion King movie will inspire me. Or Aladdin. Or...whatever I go see next week. Yeah, I'm going on vacation, and I plan to spend it in an air-conditioned movie theater! Because I should really sue my travel agent for booking me a trip down south during the hottest week of the year...

6 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Ultimately, Fell Seal’s story appealed to me better than God Wars‘ story.

The review I watched complimented the story too, which is not something I ever expect to be very high in a TBS game. (Well, at least when it comes to XCOM and Fire Emblem. The Banner Saga may have spoiled me.) In either case, you have me intrigued. I'll probably wait for a price drop, but that's one to keep my eye on.

So, I celebrated Chirpnado Day by playing a little more of Spec Ops. I'm up to Chapter 11 now. Got through that godawful parking garage section. That part is a nightmare if you stay at the entrance, but I got it on my first try by immediately running to the other side. Adams and Lugo took turns reviving each other, and I burned through all my bullets taking down the heavy. There are several sections coming up that I'm dreading, but I'd like to platinum this game before I leave for my trip on Saturday.

I'm also down to 30 ranked and 30 campaign maps in Arkham City. There's at least one map with Nightwing that's utter bollocks, and Catwoman is pretty awful all around. But if I just take it one map at a time, I think I'll be okay...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

It was a normal day, like any other. I went outside my house, watched the meteor shower rain down on my city, and checked my bank account for the fifteenth time that hour. Yup, still rich. The weather app on my phone started going off, telling me there was a tornado in my area. I rolled my eyes, but decided I'd entertain it for a while, so I pulled up a chair and watched the funnel cloud touch down. But wait. The color of that tornado was unlike any I've ever seen before. It was...blue!?

"HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT!" I screamed. Thousands of Angry Birds rejects came pouring down from the heavens. They splattered on the streets, causing cars to swerve in every direction, and smacked against the windows of the city's many skyscrapers like moronic bees demonstrating the definition of insanity. I stood on the tallest building around and spread out my arms as far as they would go. For it was on this day, August 12 of the year 2225, that I could finally put to rest the worst trophy ever made by mankind.

4UDc5X2.jpg

And to think, I saw it with my own eyes...

This right here... Awesome! ? And congrats... That's one deserved (temporary ?) 100%!

On 7/15/2019 at 7:52 AM, Cassylvania said:

What about you guys? What's your most dominant series? Is it one you like, and are there still games you're missing?

Well, nothing that hasn't been mentioned here by others already... Until I got a PS4, I seriously almost exclusively played the Final Fantasy games... Let me see if I can more or less remember how many playthroughs: 

• FF VI - 1x on PC
  • FF VII - 2x on PC, 3x on PS2, 1x on PS4
  • FF VIII - 2x on PC
  • FF IX - 3-4x on PS2, 1x on PS4 
  • FF X - 4-5x on PS2, 1x on PS4 
  • FF X-2 - 1x on PS2, 1x on PS4 (that's already 1 too many)
  • FF XII - 2.5x on PS2 (corrupted save half way through), 1x on PS4
  • FF XIII - 2x on X360
  • FF XIII-2 - 2x on X360
  • FF XIII Lightning Returns - 1x on X360
  • FF XV - 1x on PS4 plus 1x for each of the 350 pieces of DLC

So yeah... I dunno how many hours all that combined is, but it is an understatement to say that I adored the Final Fantasy franchise ?. I have 6 FF plats on my PS4 account (which is more than 10% of my plats...), and will of course add the one for FF VIII once its remaster releases later this year. In retrospect I would have preferred to get a PS3 instead of a X360, so I'm missing the plats from the XIII-trilogy (and Demon's Souls, dammit, give us a remaster NOW!)

There is no franchise that even comes close to Final Fantasy in terms of dominance... Although I have 5 FromSoft plats on the PS4 as well, but if those are in the same franchise... not really, huh... ?

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

There is no franchise that even comes close to Final Fantasy in terms of dominance... Although I have 5 FromSoft plats on the PS4 as well, but if those are in the same franchise... not really, huh... 1f914.png

I consider Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro to be separate series. Not sure about Demon's's's Souls.

But I suppose if we're including PC/other consoles, Fire Emblem is probably my most dominant series, both in terms of games played and games finished. (Probably time played too. ?) Pokemon can't be far behind. Actually, if we include all the spin-offs, that might be #1...

Or Mario. Probably Mario.

5 hours ago, patrickogorman19 said:

You should play more sports and racing games to add more diversity.

Yeah, I've been saying I want a good racing game for a while now. Unfortunately, the only one I've come across that really appeals to me is Trackmania Turbo, which...is going to require some mental preparation. Table Top Racing: World Tour looks okay too. Think I got it free from PS+, but I'd have to buy the DLC. CTR might happen. Do you have any other suggestions?

My problem with modern sports games is that they put too much of an emphasis on online play. I don't care much for playing with other people or boosting trophies, and I certainly can't rely on my internet connection. It took me forever just to watch a movie last night. The Golf Club 2 is a possibility, I suppose, but Everybody's Golf is already the perfect golf game. I could try out Madden or FIFA. I don't usually like any games with a year in the title, but one of my favorite sports games growing up was (I'm probably getting the name wrong) NHL 2002. I remember it had a long list of nicknames you could give your players that the announcer would actually say during the game, and one of them was Stoner. My high school self thought that was hilarious.

Organizing games by genre really puts things into perspective, doesn't it? I know I sometimes look at my five sports game (well, four, really -- I don't think Pyre counts) and I'm like, "Really?" But then I Google PS4 racing games and see stuff like Bears Can't Drift and Nippon Marathon and I'm like, "What the hell is this?"

Well, it was a weird feeling to wake up today, walk into my closet to get dressed, and NOT turn on my PS4. I mean, it's not like I ran it every day (probably once a week on average), but I'd always at least consider it. Now, I guess I don't have to worry about it. Huh...

OK then. Today's goal: beat another chapter of Spec Ops: The Line. If I can just do one per day, I'll have the platinum by the end of the week!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

My problem with modern sports games is that they put too much of an emphasis on online play. I don't care much for playing with other people or boosting trophies, and I certainly can't rely on my internet connection. It took me forever just to watch a movie last night. The Golf Club 2 is a possibility, I suppose, but Everybody's Golf is already the perfect golf game. I could try out Madden or FIFA. I don't usually like any games with a year in the title, but one of my favorite sports games growing up was (I'm probably getting the name wrong) NHL 2002. I remember it had a long list of nicknames you could give your players that the announcer would actually say during the game, and one of them was Stoner. My high school self thought that was hilarious.

Keep it simple. Dont force yourself to play different genres if you know you wont enjoy them. I did the mistake with GT: Sports, even though I knew after Trackmania: Turbo, that racing games (Arcade and Simulator) are not my type of games I usually enjoy. GT: Sports is a great game, but I simply couldnt stand it after a while. The grind was also the most terrible I've ever done.

Edited by Mori
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Mori said:

Keep it simple. Dont force yourself to play different genres if you know you wont enjoy them. I did the mistake with GT: Sports, even though I knew after Trackmania: Turbo, that racing games (Arcade and Simulator) are not my type of games I usually enjoy. GT: Sports is a great game, but I simply couldnt stand it after a while. The grind was also the most terrible I've ever done.

There are other racing games with alot less grind and have either no online trophies or have easy online trophies. Trackmania is a hard platnium and I will not reccommend for people who a new to racing games. As for GT sport yeah the grind is stupid agree with you there I would reccommend playing GT6 before playing this one.

3 hours ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Congrats on the incredibly frustrating RNG trophy! I really dislike trophies like that. Good luck with finishing Spec ops! And I agree with sports games have too much emphasis on the online aspect which is often a curse for trophy hunters :(

Depends which sports game your taking about If you are talking about EA sports games and 2K sports games then yeah then the online grinding/requirements a little to much espically NBA. If you are talking about Australian sports titles then no the real grind is the single player as the Australian sports games usually have much lower requirements for online trophies.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, patrickogorman19 said:

There are other racing games with alot less grind and have either no online trophies or have easy online trophies. Trackmania is a hard platnium and I will not reccommend for people who a new to racing games. As for GT sport yeah the grind is stupid agree with you there I would reccommend playing GT6 before playing this one. 

Sure, there are less grindy and easier games. But to play games you usually dont enjoy just for the sake of having a diverse collection on your profile, can end up really frustrating. That was the point I was trying to make. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 11:04 AM, Cassylvania said:

100% is fairly hard to maintain. Your biggest threat, as you pointed out, is online play. Unfortunately, that's the future (and present) of gaming. DLCs can also be a problem. Games like Minecraft, Cities: Skylines, and Prison Architect keep releasing new content. I don't mind that so much because I enjoy simulation games, but it'd be a different story if, say, Uncharted 4 just dropped a new multiplayer mode that required 100+ hours of boosting. But if you really want to take advantage of the PS4, you should get around to playing some of the major AAA exclusives (e.g. Uncharted, The Last of Us) sometime. The Nathan Drake Collection will allow you to skip all the multiplayer modes in that series, except for UC4, which is a HUGE pain if you want the two hardest DLC trophies. Not much you can do about TLoU.

I want to break this down into two categories:

1. Online Play

Games like Watch Dogs 2, Far Cry 5 and the like implement multiplayer correctly. There is a multiplayer mode for a lot of AAA games, but generally they are not necessary to the point where they are absolutely mandatory.

If however, video games start to offer "live service" and "digital only" stuff like what Need for Speed 2015 threw out with it's shit, then I will give up modern gaming altogether and just stick with older games and indie games.

I don't want my games to attempt to be MMOs with every payment scheme under the sun included to try to pry dollars out of long time gamers like myself. I'm frankly tired of that shit, and it only seems to get worse over time. EA is basically on the forefront when it comes to this crap, and we all know how much Activision wants to do something like this.

Online when integrated correctly is good. When it is literally forced on you for what is otherwise a single player game, that's where I draw the line.

2. Completionist

There is absolutely no need to maintain 100 percent. You yourself are doing this, but you planned out ahead of time so you're pretty safe. Myself on the other hand I basically played a lot of PS3 and PS4 games a few years back just for fun, not concerning myself with online trophies that may one day be unobtainable. So I'm basically running up a steep hill, I can reach 97 - 98 percent completion, but probably not more than that.

Sadly 100 percent will officially be impossible for me because I simply do not have the time to do Uncharted 2 and 3 multiplayer. I got too much going on with family, work and school to be concerned about a bunch of online trophies which quite frankly shouldn't of been there to begin with. I guess that's Naughty Dog's way of implementing multiplayer.

Shame that The Last of Us requires you to do 26 - 28 hours of multiplayer, double that time if someone did both stacks.

On 7/14/2019 at 10:52 PM, Cassylvania said:

It doesn't help that developers keep rebooting titles with the same name as the original. (Seriously, God of War 2018 did this too, and it's confusing as hell when you're trying to look stuff up.) What's wrong with a simple numbering system? Oh, I forgot. We live in a world of prequels and reboots. Ain't no numbering system gonna fix that.

Tomb Raider (the 2013 version, I mean) pisses me off even more because the sequels don't have subtitles. Instead, you got Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which means they aren't next to each other alphabetically. (And even if they were, the second one comes first, followed by the third, and the first comes last.) And if you REALLY want to argue semantics, I would say Rise of the Tomb Raider should come first, as the word "Rise" makes me think of the beginning. (But Christopher Nolan's Batman must not have gotten that memo, since The Dark Knight Rises was the THIRD in the trilogy.)

Lack of originality and creativity has a lot to do with it.

They could of gave God of War 2018 a lot of different names. Hell, God of War: The Return of Kratos I would of accepted as a proper title. Instead, it's God of War.

So what does that make the original God of War? Old school? Retro? The actual original? What is it, because apparently these people who name the titles don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mori said:

Sure, there are less grindy and easier games. But to play games you usually dont enjoy just for the sake of having a diverse collection on your profile, can end up really frustrating. That was the point I was trying to make. 

And thats why I don't have any music or RPG games on my profile yet ,I probably won't enjoy them.

10 hours ago, Mori said:

Yeah, it'd really need to be something special to get me to play it. I look every now and then for a racing game that might interest me, but it's kinda like with shooters, where I feel the developers are focusing too much on realistic graphics and online play (and all the horrible business practices that are plaguing the industry today). I wish EA didn't own the rights to almost every major sports franchise out there. I'd love to see a more creative take on, say, NFL games. I can't be the only person who would enjoy an ACTUAL fantasy football game, where you have to go up against J.J. Watt as the Hulk and Tom Brady with eye lasers.

Actually, one of the things I used to do as a kid was design video games (not actually... I'd draw out the levels on paper, and come up with the plot and characters in my head), and I had a pretty good idea of how an NFL RPG/platformer could work. Each level, of course, would be based around a different team, and you'd have to beat all 32 teams in order to beat the game.

But that's just me trying to turn every game into something I'd like...

59 minutes ago, Spaz said:

There is absolutely no need to maintain 100 percent. You yourself are doing this, but you planned out ahead of time so you're pretty safe. Myself on the other hand I basically played a lot of PS3 and PS4 games a few years back just for fun, not concerning myself with online trophies that may one day be unobtainable. So I'm basically running up a steep hill, I can reach 97 - 98 percent completion, but probably not more than that.

Well, you can always shoot for 99%. Realistically, that's as high as I'll ever go too. I mean, yeah, 100% is still possible, but it's not like I'm going to get there and then stop. I'll always be playing something. And if I'm not, then I'm probably dead or not trophy hunting anymore, so what's the point?

21 minutes ago, patrickogorman19 said:

And thats why I don't have any music or RPG games on my profile yet ,I probably won't enjoy them.

You got a few sim games, though, which is probably my favorite genre. Strategy and RPG round out my top three. I have some familiarity with all genres, but I'd say shooters are outside of my comfort zone, and I really don't touch multiplayer or rhythm games.

You might like Pyre. It's a narrative-based sports game (I guess?). It's not easy to explain, but it's something I think anybody who likes video games could enjoy.

Anyway, I actually got up to Chapter 14 in Spec Ops tonight. I didn't get stuck in the places I expected in Chapter 13. I'd say if you're ever having trouble, try taking cover in a different spot at the start of the gunfight. You can sometimes completely alter how the AI reacts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, it'd really need to be something special to get me to play it. I look every now and then for a racing game that might interest me, but it's kinda like with shooters, where I feel the developers are focusing too much on realistic graphics and online play (and all the horrible business practices that are plaguing the industry today).

It's like I'm always late to these discussions ? Damn you, time zone difference! I agree, though.. there is plenty of diversity in your list already, as can be seen from the first post of this checklist... Why play something you ain't interested in, when there are so many games waiting on your backlog. 

I did the same as Mori and played Trackmania Turbo (I've mentioned this already 5 times, but whatever) to get out of my comfort zone. Sure, it was rewarding as hell, but I know now that racing games ain't something I will play more often from now on, so that one is bound to remain the only one on my list. Similarly, you will probably never see a fighting game on my profile, or any CoD or Overwatch or any similar game. 

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

You are absolutely right, there is no need whatsoever. But again, different people care about different stats :) Reaching a 97-98% completion with 200+ plats is anyways plenty impressive, and a lot of effort went into your profile. 

• Like 3

The last sport game and the last racing game I played - Sensible Soccer and Super Cars II.

They were fun games, but they were exceptions. I never liked racing games, and video sports games I find weird. I think it is sound not to play games just for diversity's sake.

• Like 2

The only possible way to maintain a high completion rate is to actively avoid games in genres you don't enjoy or aren't good at.  Even though I stared this PSN account when I decided to start trophy hunting I still made that mistake a few times.  

I've never played a sports game because I know nothing about sports.  I'd like no play shooters and fighting game, but I'm hilariously bad at them.  I accept my weaknesses.

• Like 1

I've played a few sports games in the past couple of years, but I don't find them as fun unless it's couch co-op. I grew up on Madden, NHL Hockey and some iteration of Baseball game (was never into soccer games that much) but always because I had someone sitting next to me to talk shit too or something. I mean, I guess you can do that now with headsets, but it was more fun with my friends. Since my kids aren't old enough, I don't really have anyone to sit down and play games with so I've lost interest in the sports genre for now. I'm sure when my kids are older, I'll get back into it. Honestly, if Tom Brady wasn't on the cover of Madden 18 and there wasn't a Tom Brady trophy, I may not have gotten that game ? But it had been about 15 years since I had last played a Madden game so I figured it was worth a chance either way.

38 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The last sport game and the last racing game I played - Sensible Soccer and Super Cars II.

Nice! Back when the graphics required you to use your imagination in games! I still love the original Ice Hockey game on the NES when your choice was Fat guy, Medium guy or Skinny guy. While I'm not much for playing games I don't generally like for the sake of diversity, I occasionally like to mix something in to see if my tastes have changed. I still want to add a fighting game at some point and was thinking about MK 11...but I have too much crap on my backlog to clutter it with games I might get to.

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, you can always shoot for 99%. Realistically, that's as high as I'll ever go too. I mean, yeah, 100% is still possible, but it's not like I'm going to get there and then stop. I'll always be playing something. And if I'm not, then I'm probably dead or not trophy hunting anymore, so what's the point?

I think so long as 100% is still possible, I'd be happy/content. I'd be frustrated if I couldn't get 100% anymore. Not enough to make a new profile or anything, but it'd be pretty disappointing to feel like it is no longer possible. That's another reason I feel like I try to do only one game at a time, just so that I don't lose that opportunity. I'll need to hurry with Mass Effect I feel since it could only be a matter of time before they go all Naughty Dog on us.

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I can't be the only person who would enjoy an ACTUAL fantasy football game, where you have to go up against J.J. Watt as the Hulk and Tom Brady with eye lasers.

NFL Blitz tried to do this a little I think. Not exactly going Hulk or Laser Eyes, but it was much more over the top and arcade-y. I had more fun with the NHL Hitz and NBA Jam. I'd probably try a game like you're suggesting though. It'd be cool to earn xp and give them special abilities or something.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

It's like I'm always late to these discussions 1f602.png Damn you, time zone difference! I agree, though.. there is plenty of diversity in your list already, as can be seen from the first post of this checklist... Why play something you ain't interested in, when there are so many games waiting on your backlog.

I question that a lot when I'm playing games I'm only remotely interested in, like Phil's Stupid Adventure. ?

I also question that when I play a game I've really been wanting to get to, like The Banner Saga and, more recently, Invisible, Inc. I only played it for about an hour last night, but this is clearly a game I should've been tackling a long time ago. It's brutally hard, confusing, and probably going to kick my ass a lot. I think I'm going to start a new game tonight, now that I have at least a basic understanding of how the game works. I'm also going to disable the DLC. It'll be a longer run to the platinum, but like a wise man once said, "Better to ask the camel if he wants a drink than to drag him to the pond for nothing." (I don't think anybody ever said that.)

2 hours ago, Helmet_time said:

The only possible way to maintain a high completion rate is to actively avoid games in genres you don't enjoy or aren't good at.  Even though I stared this PSN account when I decided to start trophy hunting I still made that mistake a few times.

Me too. ?

Like, seriously, what ever possessed me to play Paladins? That's actually my most shameful plat. Not because it was an easy game, but because it was free and I wanted to see the appeal in battle royale without buying Overwatch or Fortnite. I almost got burned badly. Just a week or so after I got the plat, they patched the game to make at least one of the trophies much, much harder, and it went from being a common plat to ultra rare. That's why I think it's always a good idea to ask yourself, before you start something new, "If I have to play this game for 100 hours, will I still like it?"

2 hours ago, Briste said:

I think so long as 100% is still possible, I'd be happy/content. I'd be frustrated if I couldn't get 100% anymore. Not enough to make a new profile or anything, but it'd be pretty disappointing to feel like it is no longer possible. That's another reason I feel like I try to do only one game at a time, just so that I don't lose that opportunity. I'll need to hurry with Mass Effect I feel since it could only be a matter of time before they go all Naughty Dog on us.

I think that's how I feel too. I still might someday play Super Meat Boy or Trackmania Turbo, because even though I know they're both really hard games and probably beyond my skill level, at least I'd know 100% is theoretically possible. That's better than playing something like Dragon Fin Soup (which looks good), knowing that some trophies are literally unobtainable. I think if that were to ever happen to me, I'd just earn all the trophies I can and then document "proof" of the rest -- you know, to show that I still did it.

Platinum #178 - Spec Ops: The Line

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/bdf485/trophies/1Lfe28f2.png

It's a shame this game can only be experienced once, and only made once. It's also a shame it didn't sell because it deserves a remaster. (I blame it on the generic title.) As I've said in the past, I grew up in a very pro-military family, but I've never much cared for the depiction of war in modern games. I'm not sure this is necessarily more realistic, but it's a different side than you're used to seeing. It's also very loosely based on Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, which I did my senior thesis on in high school, so that's kinda cool. But that's all I really want to say, since I know at least one of you is planning to play this (for what I assume is the first time) soon.

Instead, I'll give a little advice for FUBAR. I know a lot of people say not to use commands on that difficulty, but I found Adams and Lugo invaluable. They have unlimited ammo, can provide cover for you, and don't die immediately when they're downed. Plus, they can take turns reviving each other. I got through many sections just by sitting back and only taking pop headshots when I wanted to look like I was participating. Grenades are useful too, but not for the reason you think. Enemies usually just run when you throw them, but that can be a great opportunity to move to new cover (or kill them when they're out in the open). I think the hardest part is that bullshit at the beginning of Chapter 6.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Briste said:

Exactly this. I've reached 100% on my profile once or twice, but that number stayed there for a couple of hours only... Then started my next game. I won't hide a game I'm currently playing until it's done and make it visible then to maintain that 100% (I see some people do this... don't get it though). 

I'm pretty sure I will never have 100% again due to CotND, but it IS possible, isn't it (I have to tell myself that... ?)

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I also question that when I play a game I've really been wanting to get to, like The Banner Saga and, more recently, Invisible, Inc. I only played it for about an hour last night, but this is clearly a game I should've been tackling a long time ago. It's brutally hard, confusing, and probably going to kick my ass a lot. I think I'm going to start a new game tonight, now that I have at least a basic understanding of how the game works. I'm also going to disable the DLC. It'll be a longer run to the platinum, but like a wise man once said, "Better to ask the camel if he wants a drink than to drag him to the pond for nothing." (I don't think anybody ever said that.)

I think that's how I feel too. I still might someday play Super Meat Boy or Trackmania Turbo, because even though I know they're both really hard games and probably beyond my skill level, at least I'd know 100% is theoretically possible. That's better than playing something like Dragon Fin Soup (which looks good), knowing that some trophies are literally unobtainable. I think if that were to ever happen to me, I'd just earn all the trophies I can and then document "proof" of the rest -- you know, to show that I still did it.

It has happened to me, too. I noticed last week that we have July of 2019 and I have played one single game that released this year, and that's Sekiro... I'm still playing games from 2017 such as Hollow Knight, and that's an example of a game that I should have played way earlier, it's so good. 

I think you have the right mindset when it comes to trophy hunting / gaming. Or I probably say "right" because it's the same mindset I have ? You shouldn't avoid games because of their lenght or difficulty if you have a genuine interest in playing them. Want to give SMB or TMT a go? Just do it! They are challenging but fun. 

On the other hand, I have Phantom Trigger sitting on my backlog, a game that reminds me of Hyper Light Drifter, which is one of my favorite games on the PS4. Why ain't I playing it, you ask? Because nobody on this page has gotten the platinum yet (granted, there ain't many players...), and I don't want to start a game that might be bugged. I even contacted the publishers, they didn't know anything about bugged trophies. 

• Like 2