Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

13 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The last sport game and the last racing game I played - Sensible Soccer and Super Cars II.

They were fun games, but they were exceptions. I never liked racing games, and video sports games I find weird. I think it is sound not to play games just for diversity's sake.

Played injustice 2 because it had an ultra rare platnium and to a diversity to my account I just wanted to experience something different, fighting game aren't my type of game but a least I went out of my confort zone and platnium the game an ultra rare one at that.

13 hours ago, Helmet_time said:

The only possible way to maintain a high completion rate is to actively avoid games in genres you don't enjoy or aren't good at.  Even though I stared this PSN account when I decided to start trophy hunting I still made that mistake a few times.  

I've never played a sports game because I know nothing about sports.  I'd like no play shooters and fighting game, but I'm hilariously bad at them.  I accept my weaknesses.

Fair enough I platnium a bunch cycling games even though I didn't know much about the sport.Did play any sports when you are a kid.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, it'd really need to be something special to get me to play it. I look every now and then for a racing game that might interest me, but it's kinda like with shooters, where I feel the developers are focusing too much on realistic graphics and online play (and all the horrible business practices that are plaguing the industry today). I wish EA didn't own the rights to almost every major sports franchise out there. I'd love to see a more creative take on, say, NFL games. I can't be the only person who would enjoy an ACTUAL fantasy football game, where you have to go up against J.J. Watt as the Hulk and Tom Brady with eye lasers.

That's precisely the problem.

I think Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood are two of my favorite FPS of the last 10 years. You can't forget DOOM 2016 as it's a proper reboot and a good mixture of old and new.

I personally prefer the old school style of FPS that was fast paced, which both DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D pioneered. Nowadays, much like with today's open world games, they're focusing too much on realism and just trying to get a Game of Thrones story out of them.

The only reason I did Madden NFL 11 was because that was the only game where I didn't have to worry about online and it was a sports game I can do fairly easily. Every other Madden game has had some sort of online integration for their trophies.

Baseball was something I grew up with, but I cannot relate to today's players. The Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds era was REAL baseball. Today's guys lack the personality and flair.

Outside of their playing ability, I find Jose Altuve, Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado and Aaron Judge to be boring. Bryce Harper is an arrogant kunt and Mike Trout is one of the most boring 'standout' players I have ever seen.

It's like comparing the greatness of the Michael Jordan era of the NBA to today's boring NBA players. The best we got is Lebron James, and I never liked him all that much. Too arrogant and full of himself in my opinion.

The big problem is sports games have mostly been the same for the past 15 - 20 years, with little innovation and little to really get excited about unless you're a big fan of sports. So I'm not surprised if most people just skip sports games for platinum trophies.

On 7/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, Cassylvania said:

Well, you can always shoot for 99%. Realistically, that's as high as I'll ever go too. I mean, yeah, 100% is still possible, but it's not like I'm going to get there and then stop. I'll always be playing something. And if I'm not, then I'm probably dead or not trophy hunting anymore, so what's the point?

Meh.

I often feel that reaching that high of percentage is just too much. That's just me though.

A long time ago I learned that it is literally impossible to be good at every single game. Even if you are good at every single game, there are plenty of games that are basically shit or shovelware that you would never want to touch again with a 10 foot pole.

I find modern point and click games to be boring and overly easy. I find stuff like Furi and Dark Souls to be exciting and adventurous. There's a lot of crap you have to weed through to get to the good stuff.

On 7/16/2019 at 11:23 PM, Arcesus7 said:

You are absolutely right, there is no need whatsoever. But again, different people care about different stats :) Reaching a 97-98% completion with 200+ plats is anyways plenty impressive, and a lot of effort went into your profile. 

Not the best of course but I'm proud with what I accomplished.

At the end of the day, the only person who cares about your stats really is you. Other people can comment and compliment on your trophy profile, as people have done to mine, but don't let that cloud your mind.

Personal accomplishments are what we make of them.

On 7/17/2019 at 11:39 AM, Briste said:

I've played a few sports games in the past couple of years, but I don't find them as fun unless it's couch co-op. I grew up on Madden, NHL Hockey and some iteration of Baseball game (was never into soccer games that much) but always because I had someone sitting next to me to talk shit too or something. I mean, I guess you can do that now with headsets, but it was more fun with my friends. Since my kids aren't old enough, I don't really have anyone to sit down and play games with so I've lost interest in the sports genre for now. I'm sure when my kids are older, I'll get back into it. Honestly, if Tom Brady wasn't on the cover of Madden 18 and there wasn't a Tom Brady trophy, I may not have gotten that game 1f60e.png But it had been about 15 years since I had last played a Madden game so I figured it was worth a chance either way.

Honestly I never saw the appeal or understood why Tom Brady is so popular.

To be frank I've grown sick of Tom Brady at this point. He is literally the Lebron James of the NFL. Whatever he does, there has to be a news article on him because he has won more awards and gotten more praise than practically everybody else in the sport.

That's how it is with Lebron James respectively. He's a giant inspiration for today's kids. He's a super athlete. Anything he does, even if it means taking his girlfriend/wife out to some fancy restaurant in Los Angeles, some paparazzi jackass or celebrity news moron wants to make that news. I mean Jesus Christ.

I mean, Tom Brady is talented and he will go down as one of the all time best in the NFL. But honestly, I just wish he would leave. Peyton Manning and Brett Favre's careers are finished. They served long healthy careers in the NFL and the hype for them died down at the appropriate time.

I never understood the celebrity obsessed culture, or just the idea of celebrities in the first place.

23 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

It has happened to me, too. I noticed last week that we have July of 2019 and I have played one single game that released this year, and that's Sekiro... I'm still playing games from 2017 such as Hollow Knight, and that's an example of a game that I should have played way earlier, it's so good.

Two years isn't that long.

I'm still playing games from 2007 - 2010, only because I never got around to them when they were new. But... better late than never.

Edited by Spaz

On 7/17/2019 at 8:28 PM, Cassylvania said:

I think that's how I feel too. I still might someday play Super Meat Boy or Trackmania Turbo, because even though I know they're both really hard games and probably beyond my skill level, at least I'd know 100% is theoretically possible. That's better than playing something like Dragon Fin Soup (which looks good), knowing that some trophies are literally unobtainable. I think if that were to ever happen to me, I'd just earn all the trophies I can and then document "proof" of the rest -- you know, to show that I still did it.

Based on your history with Platforming games, I think you would be ok with SMB. Not to say you would breeze through it or anything, but you have enough practice with platformers that you'll pick it up just fine. Fortunately the controls are extremely responsive so it minimizes stupid deaths. I'm not particularly good at platforming games and I'm only 3 trophies from the plat. Of course those three trophies are like me saying I'm only seven years away from being a doctor...but still :) I also have a masochistic desire to try Trackmania Turbo some day...but not only am I not good at racing games...I would argue I'm bad at them. So that game isn't in the forefront right now. I have so many good to great games on my backlog that I really need to play. After KH3, I'm going to try and chip away a ton of the shorter games off that list so that it seems more manageable before getting into Mass Effect. One of those games does include Spec Ops: The Line so I do thank you for your previous post :) 

Honestly I never saw the appeal or understood why Tom Brady is so popular.

To be frank I've grown sick of Tom Brady at this point. He is literally the Lebron James of the NFL. Whatever he does, there has to be a news article on him because he has won more awards and gotten more praise than practically everybody else in the sport.

Real question...how do you quote things from different pages and have it keep the tag on the quote? I end up having to @ people during my response so that they see it...

My apologies to Cassy since I feel this point has been beaten into the earth in this thread already...but, @SpazI'm not sure I understand why you don't understand why Tom Brady is so popular? I get that there are many people that don't like him. He's rich, successful, good looking, a winner and jealousy is a stinky cologne...but it seems fairly obvious why he is popular. For me, he's the QB on my favorite team and he has been my favorite player on the team since he took over for Bledsoe almost twenty years ago. The dude is arguably the greatest QB in the most popular sport in America, on the longest running sports dynasty in history and is still performing at an elite level in his 40's...something that has never been done before. What he's doing is intriguing and I'd be shocked if he wasn't popular. I was mostly joking about the Tom Brady trophy thing. I bought the game because I hadn't played Madden in a long time and wanted to see if it was like I remembered...having Brady on the cover and as a trophy was just icing on the cake.

It's more a construct of the times and social media with the news articles. You can bet your ass that if Michael Jordan, Terry Bradshaw, Reggie Jackson or (pick your generational player from any sport) played today, it'd be the same for them. I agree, I don't need to be shown every time he attends the Met Gala or goes to a beach, but the same can be said about the Kardashians, star athletes, rock stars, etc.

I don't agree that Tom Brady is the LeBron of the NFL. LeBron was the anointed one from Middle School. I have a Sports Illustrated with LeBron on the cover from when he was in High School. He was the #1 pick out of high school and has never been told 'no' in his life. Brady was never the anointed one. He earned everything he's achieved. He was a backup at Michigan in college, his combine pictures/videos are legendary for how bad they are and he was the second to last pick in his draft. If you want to say he is whine-y like LeBron, I'd have a harder time defending that because the pitch of his voice is a bit whine-y and his body language on the field isn't the best all the time...but their career tracks couldn't be more different. What you hear from anyone who has ever met him, Brady is a genuinely good dude. I'd be lying if I didn't say I don't love his Tony Robbins turn in his personality and that the reports on his diet are insufferable, but despite that, he's my favorite player of all-time. There is just too much to like about the guy.

I don't follow LeBron as closely as Brady, but I can't stand that dude's personality at all. He's the epitome of a 'me first' attitude. Maybe I just catch him in bad moments...frequently...He's a top 5 basketball player of all-time and he's amazing on the court...but damn he could use some humility.

Edited by Briste
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Briste said:

Real question...how do you quote things from different pages and have it keep the tag on the quote? I end up having to @ people during my response so that they see it...

Press the +-Sign next to "Quote" on all posts you want to quote. A button pops up on the right side of the screen, stating "Quote x Posts", press that instead of the regular quote.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Press the +-Sign next to "Quote" on all posts you want to quote. A button pops up on the right side of the screen, stating "Quote x Posts", press that instead opf the regular quote.

Not all heroes wear capes my friend :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Briste said:

It's easy.

You make a quote from a page, then you move forward to the next page while not deleting anything. You click on the text box and the section you've quoted and commented on should still be there, but there will be a pop-up on the bottom. Do not remove formatting, just click the X button on the right so none of it gets deleted.

8 hours ago, Briste said:

My apologies to Cassy since I feel this point has been beaten into the earth in this thread already...but, @SpazI'm not sure I understand why you don't understand why Tom Brady is so popular? I get that there are many people that don't like him. He's rich, successful, good looking, a winner and jealousy is a stinky cologne...but it seems fairly obvious why he is popular. For me, he's the QB on my favorite team and he has been my favorite player on the team since he took over for Bledsoe almost twenty years ago. The dude is arguably the greatest QB in the most popular sport in America, on the longest running sports dynasty in history and is still performing at an elite level in his 40's...something that has never been done before. What he's doing is intriguing and I'd be shocked if he wasn't popular. I was mostly joking about the Tom Brady trophy thing. I bought the game because I hadn't played Madden in a long time and wanted to see if it was like I remembered...having Brady on the cover and as a trophy was just icing on the cake.

Part of the reason I don't like him is because he has stuck around for too long. Yeah, he is one of the all time best, there's no question about that and I would argue that he is practically the Michael Jordan of the NFL.

But.... far too often the Patriots have beaten out all the other teams and the past several years it's been mostly them making it to the Superbowl, and then winning the championship.

Is it wrong that I'm against that? Hell if the Pittsburgh Steelers or the Buffalo Bills beat out the New England Patriots I would be ecstatic. I just want other teams to compete in the Superbowl, instead it's the New England Patriots against somebody else, who play poorly against them.

You're from Connecticut. @Cassylvania I think is also from New England. So I'm not surprised at all you're a big fan of the Patriots, because it's a local team. I'm a Seattle Seahawks fan on the other end of the United States, a team that has blown countless opportunities to make it to the Superbowl, one game I think was pretty much rigged against them when the Pittsburgh Steelers won back in 2006 in Detroit.

I can pick any team. The Kansas City Chiefs. The New York Jets. The Indianapolis Colts. The fucking Dallas Cowboys. Anybody but the New England Patriots.

But I guess I can't talk bad about the Patriots just like people can't talk bad about the Boston Red Sox.

It's more a construct of the times and social media with the news articles. You can bet your ass that if Michael Jordan, Terry Bradshaw, Reggie Jackson or (pick your generational player from any sport) played today, it'd be the same for them. I agree, I don't need to be shown every time he attends the Met Gala or goes to a beach, but the same can be said about the Kardashians, star athletes, rock stars, etc.

That's true, but we also focus far too much on them screwing up.

Remember the Michael Vick story? Took him forever to shake off the bad news and to this day he has to live with that tarnish. Kobe Bryant also got himself into trouble and that did a lot to ruin his reputation. Growing up in Baseball's Steroid Era, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds all have tarnished legacies because they juiced themselves up to hit more home runs and to prolong their careers into their late 30s and early 40s.

It's really just our obsession with celebrities. I personally despise Dave Mustaine and I cannot stand the man. Ted Nugent is one of the most despicable rock stars and human beings I've ever had the misfortune of seeing, and Kim Kardashian is famous simply because she has a huge following on Instagram, had an extremely popular reality television show and simply lives on being a socialite. Same with Kylie Jenner.

Yet people like Michael Jordan and old elderly celebrities that live in Hollywood who are decades past their prime somehow still make the news, simply because they are/were stars. Who the hell cares?

I don't know really. But I just find it sad we focus so much on celebrities, I don't necessarily mean you because you're a pretty cool guy.

I don't agree that Tom Brady is the LeBron of the NFL. LeBron was the anointed one from Middle School. I have a Sports Illustrated with LeBron on the cover from when he was in High School. He was the #1 pick out of high school and has never been told 'no' in his life. Brady was never the anointed one. He earned everything he's achieved. He was a backup at Michigan in college, his combine pictures/videos are legendary for how bad they are and he was the second to last pick in his draft. If you want to say he is whine-y like LeBron, I'd have a harder time defending that because the pitch of his voice is a bit whine-y and his body language on the field isn't the best all the time...but their career tracks couldn't be more different. What you hear from anyone who has ever met him, Brady is a genuinely good dude. I'd be lying if I didn't say I don't love his Tony Robbins turn in his personality and that the reports on his diet are insufferable, but despite that, he's my favorite player of all-time. There is just too much to like about the guy.

I mean, they came from completely different backgrounds and are prominent in both sports. I never said they both have the same attitude and the same demeanor. I'm simply saying they are the most news worthy of any athlete in their sport, and for obvious reasons.

As much as I don't like Lebron James, I don't put him as near as despicable as Floyd Mayweather Jr. He is undoubtedly one of the best boxers of all time, his style of defensive maneuvers have won him more fights than practically anybody else. But he is one of the most arrogant athletes I have ever seen. He is extremely full of himself and he beat up his wife. Ended up getting a slap on the wrist simply because he's a famous athlete.

However there are athletes and celebrities who have gotten it much worse. Jared Fogle, the Subway guy was found having a sick interest in minors and now sits in an institution in Colorado. Lance Armstrong was the 'role model' for aspiring athletes and was on the cover of Sports Illustrated, yet after 7 Tour De France titles he was caught lying about blood doping and was stripped of all of them. He will never gain respect and now has to live the rest of his life in tarnish. I don't need to say anything about Bill Cosby.

So yeah. Athletes, celebrities, media moguls, whathaveyou, we have an obsession with them.

Based on your history with Platforming games, I think you would be ok with SMB. Not to say you would breeze through it or anything, but you have enough practice with platformers that you'll pick it up just fine. Fortunately the controls are extremely responsive so it minimizes stupid deaths. I'm not particularly good at platforming games and I'm only 3 trophies from the plat. Of course those three trophies are like me saying I'm only seven years away from being a doctor...but still :) I also have a masochistic desire to try Trackmania Turbo some day...but not only am I not good at racing games...I would argue I'm bad at them. So that game isn't in the forefront right now. I have so many good to great games on my backlog that I really need to play. After KH3, I'm going to try and chip away a ton of the shorter games off that list so that it seems more manageable before getting into Mass Effect. One of those games does include Spec Ops: The Line so I do thank you for your previous post :)

There's a LOT of tight platforming. Impossible Boy is the only barrier between me and the platinum and that's simply because I haven't gotten the strategies down.

I think anybody who can do The Kid levels can strive to do the no death levels. If you've gotten as far as Demon Boy and Zombie Boy then you have a shot at the platinum.

The first guy who got the platinum for Super Meat Boy mentioned that he spent over 100 hours practicing over and over on Steam prior to the game being released for the PS4. I think that's a pretty good estimate of what you can expect. I know I've spent at least 50 - 60+ hours on the game, because it took me 10 - 12 hours each to get some of the no death runs completed.

Did you think about Crash Nitro and Sonic Team Racing? I think those two games would be more around your skill level. Trackmania Turbo from what I've seen in videos looks far too hectic. DRIVECLUB may not be that difficult, just pretty time consuming. Driveclub Bikes looks pretty fun as well.

I would definitely stay away from Gran Turismo Sport.

Good read here, guys. I'd jump in, but I gotta finish packing for my trip. May not have the internet where I'm going, and I certainly won't have a PS4. (It's okay, little buddy. You need the rest.)

I will say, however, that I'm not from New England. I don't really have a "home" state since we moved around so much when I was a kid, but I've lived in Pennsylvania for a while now. Kinda ironic since I hate both the Steelers and Eagles. No problem with Tom Brady, though. Dude's a great player and role model. We should all strive to be the Tom Brady of our own lives.

So, yeah. I beat Invisible, Inc. last night. It's actually a really short game. Only about seven missions, with each mission taking around 20-30 minutes. I guess the DLC takes about twice as long, and I need around nine playthroughs for all of the trophies (most with the DLC enabled), so... I'll let you do the math. Tough game, though. It's basically XCOM in stealth mode. Every map is procedurally generated, and they're full of patrolling guards, security cameras, and devices to hack. Missions quickly fall apart if you're seen or alert too many guards (or kill too many guards), so you really have to be careful. I can't imagine playing this game without the rewind feature. There are augments and programs and factions and weapons and daemons and so many things that I still don't understand, but it seems to be a well-balanced game. The replayability comes from the different ways you can approach each map. For example, in my first playthrough, I chose Decker and Internationale as my starting agents. Decker was pretty useless, but Internationale ended up with an augment that had great synergy with her wireless hacking skill, giving her a ton of AP on most turns. On my second playthrough, I went with Internationale and Banks. Banks can open locked doors without needing a key card, which is far less risky than having to steal one, but I also put a lot of points into her Anarchy, which makes her better at stealing. A bit unnecessary in retrospect, yeah, but the issue is you don't know what augments you're going to find or which other agents will appear on your playthrough. On this playthrough, my third agent turned out to be Sharp, who seems to be designed for taking out guards (so clearly not the best choice for a stealthy playstyle).

Anyway, it's kinda cool how you're expected to adapt to the situation based on what the game throws you. I think the best example of this is one level where I had to sneak by a stationary guard.  He was guarding a doorway I needed to get through, but I couldn't get behind him to take him out. I could walk into his sight so he'd "notice" me (which is different than "seeing" you, which gets you killed), but I had no room to lure him away, as another patrol was in the area. BUT there was a machine nearby that sold programs, and I had just enough to buy Ping, which makes a sound appear anywhere on the map. Using that, I was able to trick the guard into checking the next room, allowing my units to slip past him. But remember: this is all procedurally generated. The guard could've been standing anywhere, he could've been looking anywhere, and that machine could've been selling any item (or not been there at all). I had to use the tools the game allowed me to have at that moment to find a way to address the problem at hand. It does come with a cost, though. Because I bought Ping, I didn't have any money left over to buy upgrades for my agents. I'm also stuck with Ping for the rest of the playthrough. (You can only have a limited number of programs.) It actually saved my ass again on a later mission, but I'm sure there were other perfectly valid ways to diffuse the situation. That's what I like about the game.

I do have some issues, but they're mostly performance related so far. It gets REALLY laggy the longer you leave the game on. Restarting it seems to fix the problem, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place...

That's about all I got in me for now. We're going to try to figure this game out more when I get back. Almost every trophy in the game that I haven't earned yet (which is most of them) is rarer than my rarest trophy. That's scary AND exciting. I think we're going to have fun with this one.

Try to stay cool, everybody. I'll see you all next weekend!

• Like 4

Hey Cassy, I hope you have a great holiday week.

Its nice to read that you are enjoying Invisible Inc. and it made me excited to play the game soon. Regarding the performance issues, are you playing on a PS4 Pro?

I'll get Shadow of the Tomb Raider aswell, since its on the EU Summer Sale for 66% off. 

So some games to talk about soon. :D

Take care

• Like 3

Well, I'm back. I'd say I'm all rested up, but for some reason, I always feel like I need a vacation after a vacation. Can barely keep my eyes open today.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:33 AM, Mori said:

Its nice to read that you are enjoying Invisible Inc. and it made me excited to play the game soon. Regarding the performance issues, are you playing on a PS4 Pro?

No, I'm playing on the original launch day PS4. I'll let you know if it's still acting up, after a week of rest.

Guess it's time to get back to what I was doing. Did I miss anything exciting while I was gone?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Guess it's time to get back to what I was doing. Did I miss anything exciting while I was gone?

Unfortunately, the possible Sasquatch sighting turned out to be just a regular guy with body hair, so not much? Unless you file an "official Discord" thingy for PSNP under exciting.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Unfortunately, the possible Sasquatch sighting turned out to be just a regular guy with body hair, so not much? Unless you file an "official Discord" thingy for PSNP under exciting.

Well, it's good to see some new features added to the site. We'll probably see Sasquatch before we see custom milestones, though. ?

Shortly after my return, I was treated to what is now my rarest trophy: Powerful Toast (0.79%), for beating Invisible, Inc. on...medium difficulty. (Really, community? Did we give up that easily?) I'm now trying the game on Expert. For my starting agents, I chose Internationale (who is clearly the Margot Robbie of this game) and Derek, who is supposed to be OP because he has a Transport Beacon, which he can throw down and then teleport to from anywhere on the map. Pretty cool, huh? Yeah, I imagine it would almost be game-breaking if I had realized you need to retrieve the beacon after you throw it or it's lost forever. Guess who only got a one-time use out of it?

In the game's defense, it DID warn me about it, but I was too busy spamming the X button to pay attention to every pop-up message that comes up...

At any rate, Internationale and Derek teamed up with Olivia and Shalem11 to create a rather gimp team for this playthrough. I mean, I imagine Shalem would be good if I wanted to use guns (since he has an augment that helps with that), but this game really seems to emphasis the stealth approach. Fortunately, I had Olivia on my last playthrough, and she's pretty good since her augment helps with KO'ing guards. I guess it's girl power from here on out.

I'm wondering if you purposely kill an agent and then visit a Detention Center, if there's a chance you can rescue a different agent... Come to think of it, I'm also wondering if you can save scum to reroll the agents that appear in mid-game. That would make Endless Mode a little more manageable, if I had complete control over which four agents I had available...

You and me are going to have a lot of fun, game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm wondering if you purposely kill an agent and then visit a Detention Center, if there's a chance you can rescue a different agent... Come to think of it, I'm also wondering if you can save scum to reroll the agents that appear in mid-game. That would make Endless Mode a little more manageable, if I had complete control over which four agents I had available...

Great game, unfortunately you can't save scum to reroll agents or items for that matter... The key to success in this game is cloak cloak cloak :)

Edited by CabDK
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Welcome back! I hope you had a great trip. Good luck with invisible inc, quite weird to see how little people beat it on medium? People disliking the game that much? I assume the plat will be quite rare aswell in that case. 

I think it was a Plus game one time, wasn't it? That explains the rarity numbers, I think?

• Like 2

On 7/29/2019 at 6:54 PM, CabDK said:

Great game, unfortunately you can't save scum to reroll agents or items for that matter... The key to success in this game is cloak cloak cloak :)

It really is. Internationale with Cloaking Rig III + Chameleon Movement + Net Downlink + Stim IV + Sprint is ridiculous. Give her Torque Injectors and an EMP Pulse and watch her troll entire maps. ?

Expert Mode beat. That's three playthroughs down... Six to go. Endless Mode, Expert Plus, and zero rewinds worry me. Time Attack...could be a problem, but I don't think I take more than two minutes during most turns anyway. Not sure about Endless Plus. You only have to survive until Day 6, so I imagine it's no harder than Expert Plus. The Faust/Brimstone playthrough looks like a joke, and I probably should've just done that on my Beginner run.

18 hours ago, ZoutjeNL said:

Welcome back! I hope you had a great trip. Good luck with invisible inc, quite weird to see how little people beat it on medium? People disliking the game that much? I assume the plat will be quite rare aswell in that case. 

It's a very weird trophy list because the most common trophy is only at 20%, and most are below 1%. I think Rally is right, though. It probably was a PS+ game, because I don't remember buying it. (Though I did have a save file from 2017...)

Well, I don't want to get burned out on the game, so I think I'll start up Endless Mode and just do a mission or two each day. We'll save the other scary ones for later. I need to check back in with Lara too, and Batman...yeah, um... I'm looking at my notes now and I have no clue how far I got on the combat/predator challenges. I just have random scribbles and tallies jotted down.

And then I suppose we need to focus on finding a 2, 5, 6, and 8 for GBN... I have an idea for 8, but not the others. Oh, and I want to check out that mutant pig turtle game that was supposedly released today. And I'm way behind on my YouTube videos. This is what happens when I go on vacation. I did manage to see Toy Story 4 over my vacation, though. I don't want to say much about it, but I will say that it was OK, and that I preferred the original trilogy.

Same with Wreck-It Ralph 2, actually. I just got around to watching that last week and...yeah, not a fan. Absolutely loved the first one, but didn't like the direction they went with the sequel. At least it was better than The Emoji Movie. I think. I don't know. You couldn't pay me to watch that.

(Just kidding. I watch garbage all the time.)

So, question of the day! What are the top five WORST movies you've ever seen? Preferably, movies that were actually bad. Gods of Egypt, for example, was a movie I thought was terrible, but in a way that made my sides hurt from laughter. Most Nicolas Cage movies also make me blow snot.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

So, question of the day! What are the top five WORST movies you've ever seen? Preferably, movies that were actually bad.

I like most movies I watch to some extent. I can usually appreciate them for what they are and there have only been a handful that truly disappointed me. So this is kind of a hard question because some of the WORST movies I've seen are actually kind of popular and I'd argue to the death they are bad. Movies with bad acting...I'd say:

1) Dude, Where's My Car? - Bad acting, bad humor, bad timing and I hated it. There were scenes that could have been funny, but they just dragged them out too long.

2) Starship Troopers - Acting is pretty brutal, but I love this movie

3) Showgirls - I won't lie...I watched this movie in high school to see Jesse Spano naked and I'm telling you it wasn't worth it. This may be the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.

4) Dr. No - For the time it was great and helped launch one of the most successful franchises ever...but I watched this recently and it has not aged well and was just brutal

5) Episode II: Attack of the Clones - Overall, I'm in the minority and didn't hate the prequels. There was stuff I didn't like, but overall it was fine. The chemistry between Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen was cringe-worthy with how bad it was. It didn't help that I had a huge crush on Natalie Portman in high school and college and I had to see her submitted to this poor writing.

I didn't put a ton of thought into that list, but those are what jumped in my head. Here are my popular movies that I dislike/hate:

1) Saving Private Ryan - There is a scene where a soldier is stabbed slowly through the heart while his friend can hear it happen and he cries on the staircase instead of going to help. This scene infuriates me. I understand that is the point...but I get so mad at this scene that I really can't watch the movie. The rest of it is ok...but this just bothered the hell out of me.

2) A Perfect Storm - I saw this in college and I knew that this was based on a true story...but didn't realize they all died. I figured that someone must have survived in order for the story to be told...when they all died I was jumping up and down on my bed in my dorm room and my roommate was like 'calm down dude what is wrong with you?' I told him my surprise and he just laughed...the whole end of that movie is made up...it was infuriating to discover after investing in the characters of the 'true' story. Granted, had I known they all died...I might feel differently, but I haven't watched in since because of that.

3) Kill Bill Vol. 1 - I hated this because I went in with the wrong expectations. I expected another Pulp Fiction and got nothing close so was supremely disappointed and hated it. If I had gone in without expectations, I may have even liked it...but it was so different then what I wanted to see that I didn't even bother watching vol. 2

4) The Shining - This was billed to me as the scariest movie of all time. I really like Kubrick films but I was just really, really bored throughout the whole thing and felt it didn't live up to the hype. I watched it one other time to see if I just missed something and was still just bored.

5) Scarface/Goodfellas/Casino - People absolutely love these movies and I really just don't know why. The protagonists are legit terrible people and I could never get interested in them. I never thought they were cool and I've never quite understood the love affair with the mob. Some mob-themed movies are better than others...but I think people put these movies in another stratosphere and I just don't get it.

That bottom list may be sacrilegious...but it's truthful :) what about you?

• Like 3

Just now, Briste said:

I like most movies I watch to some extent. I can usually appreciate them for what they are and there have only been a handful that truly disappointed me. So this is kind of a hard question because some of the WORST movies I've seen are actually kind of popular and I'd argue to the death they are bad. Movies with bad acting...I'd say:

1) Dude, Where's My Car? - Bad acting, bad humor, bad timing and I hated it. There were scenes that could have been funny, but they just dragged them out too long.

3) Showgirls - I won't lie...I watched this movie in high school to see Jesse Spano naked and I'm telling you it wasn't worth it. This may be the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.

4) Dr. No - For the time it was great and helped launch one of the most successful franchises ever...but I watched this recently and it has not aged well and was just brutal

5) Episode II: Attack of the Clones - Overall, I'm in the minority and didn't hate the prequels. There was stuff I didn't like, but overall it was fine. The chemistry between Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen was cringe-worthy with how bad it was. It didn't help that I had a huge crush on Natalie Portman in high school and college and I had to see her submitted to this poor writing.

I didn't put a ton of thought into that list, but those are what jumped in my head. Here are my popular movies that I dislike/hate:

1) Saving Private Ryan - There is a scene where a soldier is stabbed slowly through the heart while his friend can hear it happen and he cries on the staircase instead of going to help. This scene infuriates me. I understand that is the point...but I get so mad at this scene that I really can't watch the movie. The rest of it is ok...but this just bothered the hell out of me.

2) A Perfect Storm - I saw this in college and I knew that this was based on a true story...but didn't realize they all died. I figured that someone must have survived in order for the story to be told...when they all died I was jumping up and down on my bed in my dorm room and my roommate was like 'calm down dude what is wrong with you?' I told him my surprise and he just laughed...the whole end of that movie is made up...it was infuriating to discover after investing in the characters of the 'true' story. Granted, had I known they all died...I might feel differently, but I haven't watched in since because of that.

3) Kill Bill Vol. 1 - I hated this because I went in with the wrong expectations. I expected another Pulp Fiction and got nothing close so was supremely disappointed and hated it. If I had gone in without expectations, I may have even liked it...but it was so different then what I wanted to see that I didn't even bother watching vol. 2

4) The Shining - This was billed to me as the scariest movie of all time. I really like Kubrick films but I was just really, really bored throughout the whole thing and felt it didn't live up to the hype. I watched it one other time to see if I just missed something and was still just bored.

5) Scarface/Goodfellas/Casino - People absolutely love these movies and I really just don't know why. The protagonists are legit terrible people and I could never get interested in them. I never thought they were cool and I've never quite understood the love affair with the mob. Some mob-themed movies are better than others...but I think people put these movies in another stratosphere and I just don't get it.

That bottom list may be sacrilegious...but it's truthful :) what about you?

I got HIV reading this

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Briste said:

I watched the movie for the second time two weeks ago. The twin girls are still creeping the hell out of me. However, many scary things lost it scariness over the years. I watched the movie at the age of ten or eleven for the first time, after reading the book (which was of course far better), and the bathtub woman was way scary in my memory. :D I was more annoyed by the intense music which was played almost entirely throughout the film.

Since I am not watching many movies, I have only two dissappointments so far:

1. The Dark Tower:

What the hell were they thinking? Its such a disgrace to the books, which I held very very high and are among my favourites (Wizard and Glass being the best). The movie has almost nothing in common with the books and the "new" story is simply boring.

2. Dunkirk:

I simply had the wrong idea about the movie and expected sth. different.

• Like 4

I don't remember watching that many movies so I can't really contribute. But I'm glad you enjoy the original Toy Story movies, Cass. I did recall a few scenes from the first movie(which I must have watched while in rehab) and really enjoyed how Square-Enix portrayed the characters in Kingdom Hearts 3.

Which I will eventually platinum again when I get the digital version. I'll buy that in a couple of days once my SS check comes in. The new update wrecked my physical copy. On better news, I finally platinumed Dragon Quest Builders 2! Great game but had some flaws - some of the text hung around until the last dog was hung, and that sucked because I died on the final boss and the cutscene before the battle has a TON of this annoying text. Also, I should have started mating dogs together as soon as I could recruit them because I spent all night in real time waiting for the in-game day to advance so that my dogs could get happy by eating meat. *sigh* :( Great game, though - I plan on routing a platinum % speedrun for it soon. For now I have other games to work on.

Also working on the Nintendo Switch version, posting images for a little story I'm writing retelling the game's events.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 10:26 AM, Briste said:

I've only seen #4 and #5, so I can only comment on those. The Bond movies (especially the older ones) are corny as hell. That's why I never understood the obsession over Sean Connery. Don't get me wrong -- I love the guy, and I have a ton of respect for what he did for the character, but all of the Connery Bond films are mediocre at best. Moore was entertaining, Brosnan looked the part (wow, he's really gone downhill since, huh?), Dalton starred in one of my favorite Bond films, and Lazenby was better than people give him credit for, but Craig is still my man. I only really liked Casino Royale and Skyfall, though.

As for Star Wars... Yeesh, yeah. I struggle to think which prequel I hated the most, but Episode II is a good choice. I do think it comes down to bad writing and bad acting (on Christensen's part). The other characters all seemed fine.

On 7/31/2019 at 10:26 AM, Briste said:

Daaamn... Shots fired. It's been a while since I've seen #1 and #2, and I never saw #3 or #4 (never wanted to), but...really? I wouldn't say they're in my top 10, but Scarface and Goodfellas are some of the few movies I'll watch every time I see them on when I'm flipping through the channels. I know they're both about assholes, but Al Pacino and Joe Pesci are so much fun to watch. I guess it's the same reason I like Breaking Bad. I'd argue that any movie or show that can successfully pull off having a villain as the main protagonist must be doing something right.

Do you like Donnie Brasco at least? I've heard it's the most "realistic" portrayal of the mob (according to actual mobsters, I guess).

I have some controversial picks too, though. I didn't like Napoleon Dynamite. I tried to watch it twice and fell asleep both times. I thought Sin City was crap, and Her was extremely boring. But, you know, I can look at those movies and say, "Yeah, I didn't like them, but I can understand why some people do." ND is supposedly really funny if you like that kind of humor (it reminds me of TBBT, which I also can't stand), Sin City has a neat art style, and Her is...deep and complex, I guess. And obviously you have B-rated movies with B-rated actors like Space Mutiny and Birdemic, but they're cult classics. It's hard to fault a movie for being bad when it had no potential in the first place.

That's why I have to give my Worst Movie Ever award to Noah. That's an actual movie that was released in theaters, with a cast that includes Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Hopkins, and Emma Watson, and a $125,000,000 budget. It made a profit, but who the hell was that movie intended for? It's miserable, horribly depressing, inaccurate, and an insult to both Christians and atheists. It's the ONLY movie I have EVER watched that I honestly feel nobody could enjoy. If you've watched it and you liked it, you're most likely an alien.

Other terrible movies include: The Brothers Grimm, Annie Hall (why do people like this!?), The Great Gatsby (I'll take the book any day), The Core, Brick Mansions, Renegades, anything Uwe Boll has touched,  Mortdecai, and Sahara. Oh, and my controversial pick? Mad Max: Fury Road. Hated it.

10 hours ago, Mori said:

2. Dunkirk:

I simply had the wrong idea about the movie and expected sth. different.

Oh, wow. I saw that in the theater on release day. I thought it was good, but I like stuff about WW2.

Anyway, I watched Murder Mystery with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston last night. It was...a movie, I think... Sandler looks terrible with a mustache. Aniston looks better every year. I think she's a vampire. Not really a movie I'd recommend, but it's got Terence Stamp...for one scene... (Oh, and the movie did at least one clever thing that made me laugh, so bonus points for that.)

Endless Mode on Invisible, Inc. is underway. I got Decker as my third agent. I would've preferred somebody less crap, but you gotta take what's given to you.

Also, we made it to August! Football season is almost here. ?

• Like 3

On 8/1/2019 at 7:35 AM, Mori said:

I watched the movie for the second time two weeks ago. The twin girls are still creeping the hell out of me. However, many scary things lost it scariness over the years. I watched the movie at the age of ten or eleven for the first time, after reading the book (which was of course far better), and the bathtub woman was way scary in my memory. :D I was more annoyed by the intense music which was played almost entirely throughout the film.

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Daaamn... Shots fired. It's been a while since I've seen #1 and #2, and I never saw #3 or #4 (never wanted to), but...really? I wouldn't say they're in my top 10, but Scarface and Goodfellas are some of the few movies I'll watch every time I see them on when I'm flipping through the channels. I know they're both about assholes, but Al Pacino and Joe Pesci are so much fun to watch. I guess it's the same reason I like Breaking Bad. I'd argue that any movie or show that can successfully pull off having a villain as the main protagonist must be doing something right.

Do you like Donnie Brasco at least? I've heard it's the most "realistic" portrayal of the mob (according to actual mobsters, I guess).

I have some controversial picks too, though. I didn't like Napoleon Dynamite. I tried to watch it twice and fell asleep both times. I thought Sin City was crap, and Her was extremely boring. But, you know, I can look at those movies and say, "Yeah, I didn't like them, but I can understand why some people do." ND is supposedly really funny if you like that kind of humor (it reminds me of TBBT, which I also can't stand), Sin City has a neat art style, and Her is...deep and complex, I guess. And obviously you have B-rated movies with B-rated actors like Space Mutiny and Birdemic, but they're cult classics. It's hard to fault a movie for being bad when it had no potential in the first place.

I should probably clarify this a bit. I didn't hate those movies necessarily, it was more they didn't live up to the hype and I was disappointed. The higher the expectation, the bigger the disappointment. The Shining was fine, and it was a decent story...I just never felt scared or freaked out and also found the music to be annoying as well. Cape Fear was like that for me (Nick Nolte version). I felt bad that I didn't like it as much since the person I watched it with was so excited to watch it with me.

I can acknowledge that Saving Private Ryan is a good movie. I very much enjoyed it and honestly the scene that bothers me so much proves even further how good a movie it is since it was able to spark that kind of emotion from me. I'm sure stuff like that happened, but the amount of cowardice in that scene really bothers me. I don't think I could live with myself if I didn't at least try to help my friend. The opening scenes of that movie are amazing though.

As far as Scarface, Goodfellas, and Casino, I haven't seen them in about 20 years so my memory of them is fuzzy. I don't remember thinking they were bad...I just remember wondering what all the fuss was about. Maybe I'll give Goodfellas another chance this weekend to see if I like them more now that I'm older. Most of my friends put these movies at an 11/10 whereas I always thought of them more as 7/10. 7/10 isn't bad, it's just not transcendent like my friends thought. I never really equated Walt with these mob guys since Walt was a guy you rooted for in the beginning and you saw his transformation to bad.

I like some mob movies. I love The Untouchables, Donnie Brasco was ok. I liked Blow and movies like The Boondock Saints and The Departed, which have mob components. But I feel like those aren't about glorification of the mob. I view The Godfather like an historical fiction so I like that movie more. I'm not sure exactly why I don't love mob related media...but I just don't. I didn't really like The Sopranos either, but it's not like they are bad...just not my flavor of ice cream.

I agree with you on Napoleon Dynamite. It's a pretty bad movie, but there are a lot of quotable lines so it's not a complete waste of time. I haven't seen Sin City or Space Mutiny and Birdemic. I think Starship Troopers is worth a watch if you like B movies. It has a few stars...Doogie Howser, Michael Ironside and Denise Richards are the most notable. The sequel was garbage though. 

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Also, we made it to August! Football season is almost here. 1f601.png

I'm psyched! We've started scheduling our Fantasy draft dates. The last week of August will be busy with that for me! I really wish that Cleveland was on Hard Knocks this year...it would have been really interesting. Patriots camp has a few interesting story lines...Kraft's prostitution case is still lingering, Brady's contract 'dispute', Edelman's broken thumb, no real Tight Ends on the roster...anything interesting out of Minnesota?

• Like 3

These past two days I've been actually racking my brain to remember some really bad movies I've watched but nothing memorable comes to my mind (most of the time I know what I'm about to watch so it's unlikely to come across utter garbage). Sure, there have been plenty of movies that have come short of my expectations but nothing particularly stands out (I've also watched some campy/B movies, but I guess these shouldn't count as their trashy aesthetics and/or kitsch are fully intentional). But I have to say that I have very fond memories of Napoleon Dynamite and - don't judge me :D - it was also the second movie that I once watched with a girl I had then known for about 2 weeks or so (the first one was an open-air night screening of 2001: A space odyssey) and I remember feeling a little nervous seeing that she didn't really laughed as hard as I thought she would :D But ultimately things worked out as despite these two initial questionable movie choices (maybe we were not quite in the mood for Kubrick's movie as we didn't enjoy it that much and got really cold during the screening) that girl is now my wife and we've seen loads of great movies together! 

As for mob movies, I am a real sucker for them and I like all those mentioned above (those not mentioned would include Carlito's Way, Once upon a time in America, Miller's Crossing and probably quite a few more) and The Sopranos is definitely in my all time top three. I also loved the first Mafia game that I played back in 2003.

On a gaming-related note, I've started playing Darkest Dungeon on the Vita and I must say this game is really growing on me. I have very little experience with roguelike turn-based RPGs so there is a lot of new information that I'm learning but the game, although brutally punishing, is also very rewarding, so the chances are I will commit some time to it. For now, however, I have no plans of going for the platinum.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 7:07 PM, Jens said:

Hänsel (sp!) and Gretel: Witch Hunters was some absurdity as well, once more in a bad way. They explained that Hänsel got diabetes from eating his way out of the gingerbread house and needing to inject insulin to keep fighting witches; that made laugh. A lot. That's some stupidity I can get behind.

I almost added that to my list of worst movies too. ?

Sad to see No Country for Old Men on your list. I haven't seen it, but it looks like something I'd enjoy. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:59 AM, Briste said:

As far as Scarface, Goodfellas, and Casino, I haven't seen them in about 20 years so my memory of them is fuzzy. I don't remember thinking they were bad...I just remember wondering what all the fuss was about. Maybe I'll give Goodfellas another chance this weekend to see if I like them more now that I'm older. Most of my friends put these movies at an 11/10 whereas I always thought of them more as 7/10. 7/10 isn't bad, it's just not transcendent like my friends thought. I never really equated Walt with these mob guys since Walt was a guy you rooted for in the beginning and you saw his transformation to bad.

Yeah, you should really give Goodfellas another chance. I can understand not liking Scarface, but Goodfellas is up there with the best in terms of acting, pacing, and cinematography.

I'm glad you mentioned The Untouchables too. I borrowed that movie from a friend a while ago and haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Or returning it. Moral of the story: don't let me borrow movies.

Speaking of shitty movies... Left Behind with Nick Cage. Wow. Just wow.

19 hours ago, det_gittes said:

On a gaming-related note, I've started playing Darkest Dungeon on the Vita and I must say this game is really growing on me. I have very little experience with roguelike turn-based RPGs so there is a lot of new information that I'm learning but the game, although brutally punishing, is also very rewarding, so the chances are I will commit some time to it. For now, however, I have no plans of going for the platinum.

Double D. ?

I'll say this: if you can beat the game, you can get the platinum. The only thing really stopping you would be Stygian (NG+), but it's not that much harder. By that point, you'll know what classes you favor, what skills you want, and what trinkets to go after. You could just keep farming The Ruins until you're ready to beat the final dungeon.

By your trophy log, I can see you now know how much The Cove/Warrens/Weald suck. ?

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2