Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

On 18.10.2019 at 5:58 PM, Cassylvania said:

I might start something new this weekend. Between Cities, RE7, and The Flame in the Flood on a Boat with a Goat, I think I'm starting to lose my mind. I need a game where I'm not a victim anymore. I want to rage and scream and smash stuff.

Congrats on getting Cities back to 100% :) Seems like a lot of trial and error with some of these trophies... 

Btw, just in case you didn't see it, the complete edition of Little Nightmares is available for ~8$! In your 1$/h logic, I think that should be fair.. ? Not that you won't feel like a victim in that one... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Congrats on getting Cities back to 100% :) Seems like a lot of trial and error with some of these trophies...

Yeah, part of the problem is not really understanding the mechanics of the game. They're not explained in depth in the tutorials, and there are very few guides or walkthroughs out there for the DLCs. This trophy in particular was annoying because you either need to start a city from scratch and build up an extremely large population, which takes time, or use an existing city, delete your generic universities, and wait for the population of educated people to die off, which also takes time. I ended up doing both.

Universities have a maximum capacity, which is based on the number and type of university buildings on your campus. You need 15k students enrolled for the trophy, so you want to have a capacity of at least 15k students. You could have room for 100k students, though, and it doesn't seem to matter, because only a set percentage of your townspeople will actually enroll at any one time. There are probably some policies or job-related specializations you could enact that will increase that percentage, but I would guess you'd need at least 200k people in your city to have a reasonable chance of reaching 15k students. (I should also point out that the game's performance begins to drop at a population of around 100k, and eventually "max speed" becomes the game's slowest default speed.)

When you first open a university, though, you get a "burst" of enrollments. You can monitor this from the campus info screen. The game updates every few seconds, so I noticed I'd get around 900 enrollments for the first few refreshes, then 700, then 500, then 300...and so on, until it would reach some maximum number (usually around 9k for me). After that, it would drop drop drop. I tried a bunch of things to get that initial burst higher, like putting dorms on every street or downsizing my industrial districts, but there's too much randomness to tell if that really made a difference.

So, what did I do differently? I didn't pause the game. See, normally I would pause the game, build the university, and then unpause, because I thought that placing the buildings while the game was running would mean that I might lose some students who want to enroll but can't because the capacity isn't high enough. The first time I tried it, though, I peaked at 19.5k students. By reloading that save and trying the same thing with the game paused, I only hit 13k students. I wasn't able to hit 19.5k again, but I tried it a few more times and it did consistently give me better results when I let the game run while I was placing the buildings. This could be for a lot of reasons, but they're all probably bullshit.

Hopefully that's the last DLC. We've caught up to the PC version now.

1 hour ago, Arcesius said:

Btw, just in case you didn't see it, the complete edition of Little Nightmares is available for ~8$! In your 1$/h logic, I think that should be fair.. 1f600.png Not that you won't feel like a victim in that one... 

It's a fiver for me. I see it has DLC, though, which I'm not sure is included in the base game.

Anyway, I'm currently paying the price for missing my annual flu shot, so it's been a blurry weekend. I'm just going to snuggle up with some tea and football today, and maybe watch Kirk Cousins drop a few more dimes to my boy Diggs.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Just when I thought I might actually make some progress towards my backlog, The Long D rears its ugly D and slaps me with an unwanted DLC. I figured they'd someday get around to finishing the main campaign (yeah, did I ever mention that the story mode wasn't even halfway complete when I started?), but I didn't think it'd come with trophies. Normally that's with new content... Not stuff that should have been packaged with the main game.

Oh, well. Doesn't look too bad. Episode 3 seems to take place entirely in Pleasant Valley, which I know like the back of my hand...and is nowhere near as enjoyable as the name would suggest. If it's anything like the other two episodes, though, it'll be more hand-holdy than the rest of the game, so maybe freak blizzards won't be a problem.

Yeah, isn't that nice of them? They designed a story mode to teach you how to play the main game (or, at least, the mode you're going to spend the most time in), but they didn't finish it. Have you ever played a game with half of a tutorial? At least Dark Souls has the courtesy to teach you all of the controls before it drops you into a ridiculously difficult boss fight. The Long D just boots your ass out of the nest and tells you to fly.

But, you know, that's what I like about survival games. My favorite kinds of games are the ones that say, "Fuck you. Here's the situation you're in, here's what the AI is going to do to you, and here's what you have to work with. Figure it out for yourself, son." That's what Dark Souls did. That's what XCOM did. That's what Darkest D did. And that's apparently the approach The Long D wants to take.

We'll get to that shortly. For now, I've been sleeping on and off for the last couple of days, and I've made some significant strides in RE7. Most importantly, I nearly have the platinum. I'm just about at the end of the game on Madhouse, but I might wait for Halloween to finish it off. It'd be cool if I could get the 100% then too, but Ethan Must Die/Joe Must Die/all S ranks on Jack's Birthday/Not a Hero stand in my way. If I could do one of those every two days, we can make it.

The Frame in the Mud is also a problem. I'm about 18 days into my 40 days of only eating meat. I also need to finish crafting every item and dress up as a furry, but the leather kits needed for wolf clothes are surprisingly hard to make (and probably the reason I haven't gotten the crafting trophy yet, despite this being my sixth playthrough). After that, though, I should have enough ash cakes and Impossible Burgers saved up to go 20 days without killing any animals for the last trophy. That'll...still leave me one platinum short of where I wanted to be at the end of this month.

Well, maybe we can find one more Halloween game to squeeze in here. Too bad Little Nightmares doesn't have a plat.

Anybody know anything about this Call of Cthulhu game? It has a surprisingly low player count for a year-old physical release.

Not seeing anything else on the Halloween sale that interests me. I wouldn't even know where to start with Darksiders or DMC, I'm certainly not doing a Dead Island game again (I learned that lesson on my old account), and I've had enough RE for one year. I'm not sure why Tomb Raider is on here. Subnautica still looks overpriced for what it is. Didn't somebody suggest Get Even before? Or did they warn me to stay away?

I just like how my eyes glaze over some titles. I didn't even notice Fallout 76 was on there until I had scrolled through all of the games at least four times.

I wonder if I could platinum The Wolf Among Us again... That was such a good game. I'm sad we won't ever see a sequel.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I liked Get Even, but in all honesty, it's a hit or miss. It's the story that will decide if you like the game or not because it is a I-can't-remember-what-happened-what-is-real type of story.

With Call of Cthulhu: I watched half a let's play, dropped it and never felt the need to watch the rest.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 1:16 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I liked Get Even, but in all honesty, it's a hit or miss. It's the story that will decide if you like the game or not because it is a I-can't-remember-what-happened-what-is-real type of story.

With Call of Cthulhu: I watched half a let's play, dropped it and never felt the need to watch the rest.

Good to know. I'll have to keep looking! In the meantime...

Platinum #188 - The Flame in the Flood: Complete Edition

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/130ccc/trophies/1Ld479d9.png

"BUT I WOULD SAIL 200 MILES

AND I WOULD SAIL 200 MORE..."

From the makers of...The Flame in the Flood, The Molasses Flood (no relation) brings us a charming little rogue-like in what I can only assume is a post-apocalyptic world. Join Huckleberry Fiona and her faithful companion Doggy as they sail down America's longest river in search of food, water, shelter, and a laundry list of things that want them dead. If anywhere along your 20+ hour journey, you begin to get déjà vu, that's probably because there's really only about five hours worth of actual content to be had here.

Yes, that's right, guys -- we're back to another game that will numb your senses by the time the platinum rolls around. That's not to say it's bad. Going through the main campaign for the first time is fun, and Endless Mode can keep you occupied for a few hours, but you'll soon start to see why Klei Entertainment was so hesitant to put achievements in Don't Starve. Survival games like Don't Starve and The Long Dark are at their best when you're focused on the sole task of surviving. There's this general sense you get when you hear from people who spend a lot of time alone and in the wilderness that routine and self-imposed tasks are important for maintaining sanity, so I kinda get where the developers are coming from, but forcing players to spend x number of days doing something specific (or, in the case of this game, AVOIDING something specific) is a real immersion-breaker. Especially when that thing you're trying not to do is necessary for survival.

It's generally not a good sign when a game's best feature is its soundtrack, but the songs by Chuck Ragan really work here. I like how they're not tied to an event or an area or a cutscene. Instead, they roll in at random times -- usually while you're sailing or docking at a new location -- and it adds to the feeling of isolation, as if that song only began because of you and your actions. That's not something I usually see in video games, as most music is scripted.

Is it worth a buy? Yeah, I think so...but mostly only for the initial playthrough. There isn't enough variety here to keep someone entertained for the 260+ miles it'll take to platinum, and that's a shame because it shows a lot of potential.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

On 10/24/2019 at 7:47 AM, Cassylvania said:

I WOULD SAIL 200 MILES

AND I WOULD SAIL 200 MORE..."

xD You really know how to put humor into the worst situations, Cass. ;)

As for me, I... am woefully untouching my PS4 or Vita these days even though I bought a couple of quick easy platinums....

pokemon_sword_shield_060519-8.jpg

Because of Pokemon.

Yeah, Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield are due out in 18 days so I am trying to do a personal quest to get a Butterfree from Pokemon X.D. all the way to Pokemon Moon with as many ribbons as possible. Sure, you don't get any trophies for playing Pokemon but you get ribbons, so it's sort of a personal challenge for me. Unfortunately, Pokemon games are RPGs so they take a LONG time to complete, even more so since I'm trying to get every Pokemon I can catch before battling each gym. I'm on Pokemon Ruby now grinding out to 67/386 Pokemon before facing the next gym.

But I must confess: I like Pokemon more than I do earning trophies. I think it's because I've played Pokemon since the original Red and Blue in 1997 and was a big fan of the anime because it was dubbed correctly. Sure, they removed a few things and changed a few things but it was nice to see Ash Ketchum and his Pikachu solving people's problems.

I have earned some PSN trophies, though, I've gotten closer to the Ratchet and Clank platinum and hopefully my DS battery will die so I can recharge it and take time to finish the Vita version of A Winter's Daydream. Or just mash through it. That game is a very beautiful visual novel and you don't have to make any choices to get multiple endings, but that's the thing that makes its more storybook than actual 'game', as you don't have to interact, you can just read stuff. I have every book in the Cat Who series, Midnight Louie, and the Mystic Notch series of cat murder mysteries. If I wanted to read a book, I could read one of those. I like the images but I wonder if I could have just make it a book and imagined the characters. :(

Still, I do intend to try to get to my 100th platinum. Sadly,  my save file on Kingdom Hearts III glitched and I couldn't register one of the treasures in Monstropolis, so I had to delete my save and start over. Oh, congrats on finally platinuming The Flame In the Flood and sorry for the wall of text.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RuneEyesDragon said:

xD You really know how to put humor into the worst situations, Cass. ;)

Rain, rain on my face

It hasn't stopped raining for days

My world is a flood

Slowly I become one with the mud...

?

13 hours ago, RuneEyesDragon said:

But I must confess: I like Pokemon more than I do earning trophies. I think it's because I've played Pokemon since the original Red and Blue in 1997 and was a big fan of the anime because it was dubbed correctly. Sure, they removed a few things and changed a few things but it was nice to see Ash Ketchum and his Pikachu solving people's problems.

Well, Pokemon were the original trophies. "Gotta catch 'em all," you know. But I'm just as excited for Sword and Shield. I've purposely avoided ALL information about these games, so I literally know nothing about them, except the new evolution of Farfetch'D, which was spoiled for me by Twitter. That said, I'll probably need to do some research to figure out which version I'll buy, as the choice isn't as easy as Let's Go (Eevee >>> Pikachu).

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of horror games I've finished this month. I did get to the end of Little Nightmares tonight, and -- with a little luck -- there's an outside chance that I'll 100% both that and RE7 by the end of the month, but two spooky games is a far cry from the 13 that I banged out in 2017. (On the other hand, all I did last year was Hellblade, so it's not like I'm bucking the trend here.)

Anyway, Little Nightmares is a decent game. I want to say that before I attempt the no death speedrun, because the controls aren't great, and that's a disaster in the making for this kind of platformer. I think the developers should've stuck to collectibles and miscellaneous tasks. They also probably could've made the game a little less disgusting. Between this and RE7, I'm not sure I ever want to eat again. Blech.

Anybody playing a legitimately scary game this week?

• Like 1

I miss those days. Pokemon had massive success on the Nintendo handheld consoles. The anime show I felt was rather lame and tame compared to Dragonball Z, I was a big DBZ kid back in the day. Still got a Dragon Ball Z poster hanging up in my bedroom that I've kept since 1999.

I actually wasn't exposed to Pikachu and many of the other Pokemon characters until I played the original Super Smash Bros. Played that the week it came out. Tons of fun.

Pokemon is like Final Fantasy. Too many games, too many characters and too much shit to keep track of. I haven't looked into it but I'm hoping they've made re-releases of the original Pokemon games, because I would love to play them on a modern console.

Only Final Fantasy games I ever hope to play are Final Fantasy 7 (VII) and Final Fantasy 10 (X). I've played a little of both back in the day but never got far enough to beat either. That leaves Final Fantasy X-2, which I guess is a continuation to Final Fantasy 10 but I don't even know if I'm going to like 10. All the games in the franchise apart from 7 and a couple other ones are moderate to excessively long in length. It's very difficult for me to stick with a game that is rather long, one reason why I haven't done Fallout 4 yet.

I don't think you can get too many games more fitting for the Halloween mood than the Resident Evil remake. Haven't played it the past few days because I'm working on Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell. So far the game does a good job in being a survival horror. The controls and camera angles are something to be desired but to be honest, we can't expect too much out of a game from 2002. The PS4 version has touched up visuals compared to the original Gamecube release, so it looks fairly alright. If I can get the platinum by Thursday (Halloween), that would be great.

I'm not a fan of no death speedruns. My friend @Nighcisama gave up on Insane difficulty in Outlast 2, which is rather RNG and has a lot of unskippable cutscenes. Even gave up Brutal difficulty in the Uncharted games, I had no qualms abusing the tweak glitch in them. This does give me an interest in buying the first Outlast, I've been meaning to play a modern survival horror for a long time now.

That's not to say I have The Evil Within as well as indie titles Slender The Arrival and Layers of Fear, which I still haven't played.

Too many games, too much of a backlog, so little time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, Little Nightmares is a decent game. I want to say that before I attempt the no death speedrun, because the controls aren't great, and that's a disaster in the making for this kind of platformer. I think the developers should've stuck to collectibles and miscellaneous tasks. They also probably could've made the game a little less disgusting. Between this and RE7, I'm not sure I ever want to eat again. Blech.

The speedrun seems daunting at first... Since you need to do it in under an hour, and the world record is slightly below 40 minutes. And that's by Distortion 2, the guy that holds WRs in DS2, DS3, Bloodborne, Resi7, Doom, Nioh... that dude is a beast.

But it actually is very doable. I'd recommend watching a speedrun and practicing each chapter for a bit, but don't try using the sequence breaks the WR does ?

I have to agree with the controls. They aren't that bad, but since the game is 2.5D it can have some issues at times. The artstyle, however, is one of the things I liked the most about it. And how gross it is. Just... ? delightful. 

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Well I beat the all zones mode in Crypt of the NecroDancer with Cadence, and the final boss is The NecroDancer himself.. I guess that's scary..? ? I also got around to starting Death's Gambit, which is a pixel-art 2D soulslike Metroidvania (wow I hate how that sounds) set in a very decaying world. You have a contract with Death itself, but I haven't gotten that far into the game yet. At least it makes a very good first impression, that's for sure! Looks very much like Blasphemous, but already came out in 2017 I believe. 

31 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Pokemon is like Final Fantasy. Too many games, too many characters and too much shit to keep track of. I haven't looked into it but I'm hoping they've made re-releases of the original Pokemon games, because I would love to play them on a modern console.

That's not at all the case. Pokemon takes place in different regions, but they are all part of the same universe. Pokemon from the first installments can be found in later installments as well, and the gameplay and gameloop is always the same. 

With Final Fantasy, that can't be said. The only thing the entries share is their name. If you would play FF7 and FFX without knowing their names you wouldn't guess that they belong to the same franchise. You don't need to keep track of anything across games (with the exception of X to X-2, which sucks anyways, and the XIII trilogy). I would agree with your statement if it was referring to smth. like Kingdom Hearts, but the FF games could all be independent JRPGs. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arcesius said:

That's not at all the case. Pokemon takes place in different regions, but they are all part of the same universe. Pokemon from the first installments can be found in later installments as well, and the gameplay and gameloop is always the same. 

With Final Fantasy, that can't be said. The only thing the entries share is their name. If you would play FF7 and FFX without knowing their names you wouldn't guess that they belong to the same franchise. You don't need to keep track of anything across games (with the exception of X to X-2, which sucks anyways, and the XIII trilogy). I would agree with your statement if it was referring to smth. like Kingdom Hearts, but the FF games could all be independent JRPGs.

I have no interest in the newer games. I definitely want to play the older games even if the gameplay and the gameloop is the same. Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 were pretty fun on the Nintendo 64 although you really can't compare them to the handheld titles that etched the Pokemon franchise into history.

I played both Final Fantasy games when I was younger so I have more of an affinity towards them than other games in the franchise. After the disaster that was Final Fantasy 15 I don't expect to care too much on what Square puts out at this point. I definitely prefer the older games from the PS1 - PS2 era since they looked absolutely amazing back in the day.

Final Fantasy XIII was something, but after all the complaints about it and people telling me in person it wasn't worth getting, I probably won't bother playing the game.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well I Played RDR2 this month and finished the online grind part for the Level 50 trophy. That was an absolute nightmare so I would say it was a scary experience :P 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Yeah, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on 'Mein Leben'. Other than that I could dive into Alien: Isolation again. I have abondoned that game for roughly two years (played it one hour this year). I probably puss out again and leave it for two more years. I dont know why I buy scary games I am too scared of to play. :| (Looking at RE7, Outlast 1 & 2, TEW 1 & 2)

btw. can you give me some tips or advices for Invisible Inc. Iron Mode on Expert? I've tried it only once so far and reached the final Mission, but failed miserably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mori said:

Yeah, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus on 'Mein Leben'. Other than that I could dive into Alien: Isolation again. I have abondoned that game for roughly two years (played it one hour this year). I probably puss out again and leave it for two more years. I dont know why I buy scary games I am too scared of to play. :| (Looking at RE7, Outlast 1 & 2, TEW 1 & 2)

btw. can you give me some tips or advices for Invisible Inc. Iron Mode on Expert? I've tried it only once so far and reached the final Mission, but failed miserably.

Mein Leben is definitely no joke. My gripe is the game has in-game cutscenes you CANNOT skip. I can imagine those being aggravating for anybody especially if you've made over 20 attempts at Mein Leben. No checkpoints or saves at all. I love the Wolfenstein series, The New Order and The Old Blood were great. Wolfenstein II is too much catered towards stealth because for a portion of the game, for story reasons, BJ is stuck in a mech suit that limits him to 50 health. That plus all the political statements the game tries to make turns me off. Probably won't get around to the game for a while yet.

Alien: Isolation is almost constantly offered for cheap. I don't think I've seen a game like it where it's been offered in sales so many times. I've talked to plenty of people who have the platinum and they say it's not that hard. Some ironmans I can do but I definitely dislike trophies that have you beating an entire game without dying.

Outlast 1 looks intriguing enough, been out for five years now and I can definitely buy it cheap considering it's age, much like Alien: Isolation. Outlast 2 definitely has too much torture porn in it. My friend gave up on that no death run and I definitely don't blame him because I'm not exactly a big fan of modern horror.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'm a little disappointed in the lack of horror games I've finished this month.

Well in that case I can highly recommend The Witcher 3 or The Last Of Us, both games are sadly missing on your list and as two of the best games of their respective generations and both with plenty of horror elements so they would make for a fine addition, though they are not strictly speaking pure horror games. If these are too long for you, I can also recommend The Forest, as I had a lot of fun with this game and if you have a few friends you can turn it into an even better experience, though some of the games trophies are buggy and therefore can be a bit frustrating to get. Another little horror gem for me was Soma, had a great atmosphere and an unusual approach.

If you want a more terrifying full horror experience I can highly recommend Outlast 1 and the Outlast Whistleblower dlc, both knock it out of the gate and are quite scary to play, definitely horror gems that should be in the library of genre fans, helps that they are on sale regularly. As Spaz mentioned already, I really advise against Outlast 2 in your case, the game is fine to play for most people, even though it is worse than the first one as a horror game due to being more of a chase simulator compared to Outlast 1, but since you are a completionist and the games platinum is atrocious to get you might wanna avoid it, as it definitely killed my completionist ambition and now my profile is kind of a mess, rotten feeling so probably not worth risking.

Since you already played Alien Isolation, Resident Evil and Until Dawn, the only ones I can still think of are The Evil Within and Days Gone. Haven't played these myself yet but Evil Within is dirt cheap during sales and Days Gone is supposedly a pretty good game too.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I was hoping to start Alien: Isolation this week, however I've been playing games extremely out of character for what I usually do. I have four games that I'm actively playing, and have been enjoying, so am really having a hard time picking which I want to play. Due to that, I'm limping along in all of them and won't have Alice done in time to start before Halloween. I think I've finished all the fun parts of MLB The Show 19 and all that is left is the scary grind. If you try hitting in the online mode...that's pretty scary lol I'll probably be celebrating Thanksgiving with Alien at this rate.

I guess Darkest Dungeon is kind of scary. I have a Leper in my party and I think he's my favorite so far. I like that he can de-stress himself and heal at the same time...plus he does pretty good damage. I've only done about 5 missions so far, but I think I'm going to roll with the Leper, Crusader, Vestal and Highwayman. I've liked those the most so far from what I've played, but all of them are pretty useful so far. 

I'm thinking of joining that UR event...I'm currently playing four games with UR plats and plan on doing a couple others next year so it makes sense. I think that ABC one may be too limiting for one year. I only play maybe 25-30 games a year...so it would be rough to need to make sure each one is a specific letter...I do like the concept though. It's a bummer there wasn't a Halloween event this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Briste said:

I'm thinking of joining that UR event...I'm currently playing four games with UR plats and plan on doing a couple others next year so it makes sense.

If you want to join the event it's best to Start the Yakuza series since nearly all platinums are UR :P

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 2:29 AM, Spaz said:

I'm not a fan of no death speedruns. My friend @Nighcisama gave up on Insane difficulty in Outlast 2, which is rather RNG and has a lot of unskippable cutscenes. Even gave up Brutal difficulty in the Uncharted games, I had no qualms abusing the tweak glitch in them. This does give me an interest in buying the first Outlast, I've been meaning to play a modern survival horror for a long time now.

Am I the only person who did Brutal legitimately? ?

On 10/28/2019 at 3:09 AM, Arcesius said:

I have to agree with the controls. They aren't that bad, but since the game is 2.5D it can have some issues at times. The artstyle, however, is one of the things I liked the most about it. And how gross it is. Just... 1f616.png delightful.

Yeah... It's an interesting design choice...to make a game as unappealing as possible.

Not sure why it works so well here.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:32 AM, Mori said:

You want to know my secret for playing scary games? Die. On purpose. A lot. Once you familiarize yourself with all the sounds and death animations, they become a lot less scary. I was openly mocking the alien by the time I got to the end in Isolation. He'd drop down from the rafters and I'd bust out laughing, because there was nothing he could do to me that I hadn't already seen a hundred times. If anything, he was just a minor inconvenience on my way to the next checkpoint.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:32 AM, Mori said:

Who are your starting agents? I almost always went with Internationale (because of her wall hacks) and Derek (because of his transport beacon). You want Internationale to have any augments that increase AP, because her main job is to scout the map and hack terminals. Ideally, you want Derek to recover items and distract guards, as he can teleport around the map. It's usually better to give the beacon to another agent, so that Derek can easily regroup with the rest of your team. If you have Banks as a third agent, you're pretty much set, as she can unlock level 1 security doors without a card. Increase AP on everybody. Avoid killing guards. Avoid alerting guards. Avoid KOing guards until you're making a break for the exit. Spend time getting loot in earlier levels, but don't take unnecessary risks later on. Beat levels quickly (before reinforcements begin to show up). Don't spend too many resources on your third and fourth agent. Hell, if you get trolled by RNG, don't even bother with the fourth agent. A fully maxed out Internationale and Derek are more than enough to get through Expert.

You really want to break the game? Get Internationale the following augments/items: Cloaking Rig III, Stim IV, Chameleon Movement, Net Downlink, Torque Injectors (optional), and an EMP Pulse (for screwing with machines). It's GG at that point.

Cloaking Rig III is probably the best item in the game. Get one for everybody, if possible. Learn to manipulate the AI. My favorite way of screwing with them is opening a door and then hiding. You can sometimes distract multiple guards by playing ding dong ditch. If you aren't aware, you can "pin" two guards at once by dragging a body onto an unconscious guard. Ping is a great program. Use sprint to cover a lot of ground AND distract guards. Don't be afraid to use sacrifices in the final mission. Once you're on the last objective, Internationale and Derek are expendable. They should be used to clear a path to the exit.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:43 AM, Spaz said:

Alien: Isolation is almost constantly offered for cheap. I don't think I've seen a game like it where it's been offered in sales so many times. I've talked to plenty of people who have the platinum and they say it's not that hard. Some ironmans I can do but I definitely dislike trophies that have you beating an entire game without dying.

I think what makes Alien fairly easy to beat without dying is that you can quit to the main menu if you know you're about to get grabbed. Little Nightmares, from what I've seen, almost instantly saves the game when you're about to die. That definitely raises the tension, but I'm pretty sure you can back up your save to a USB stick.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:23 AM, Nighcisama said:

Well in that case I can highly recommend The Witcher 3 or The Last Of Us, both games are sadly missing on your list and as two of the best games of their respective generations and both with plenty of horror elements so they would make for a fine addition, though they are not strictly speaking pure horror games. If these are too long for you, I can also recommend The Forest, as I had a lot of fun with this game and if you have a few friends you can turn it into an even better experience, though some of the games trophies are buggy and therefore can be a bit frustrating to get. Another little horror gem for me was Soma, had a great atmosphere and an unusual approach.

If you want a more terrifying full horror experience I can highly recommend Outlast 1 and the Outlast Whistleblower dlc, both knock it out of the gate and are quite scary to play, definitely horror gems that should be in the library of genre fans, helps that they are on sale regularly. As Spaz mentioned already, I really advise against Outlast 2 in your case, the game is fine to play for most people, even though it is worse than the first one as a horror game due to being more of a chase simulator compared to Outlast 1, but since you are a completionist and the games platinum is atrocious to get you might wanna avoid it, as it definitely killed my completionist ambition and now my profile is kind of a mess, rotten feeling so probably not worth risking.

Since you already played Alien Isolation, Resident Evil and Until Dawn, the only ones I can still think of are The Evil Within and Days Gone. Haven't played these myself yet but Evil Within is dirt cheap during sales and Days Gone is supposedly a pretty good game too.

So, just some thoughts here...

• I have The Witcher 3. I just haven't found the time to play it yet.
  • I platinumed TLoU on my old account. I don't see a reason to do that again. Maybe if the Remastered version had a simpler trophy list (or no MP trophies), I'd consider it, but that's 40+ hours I could spend doing something else...like The Witcher 3.
  • Soma looks good, and I own it for some reason.
  • I don't know about Outlast. That might be too scary, even for me. ?
  • I also own The Evil Within. I was basically debating between that and RE7 for this month (after debating between RE2 and RE7). I knew I wouldn't have time for both.
  • I don't know if Days Gone is my kind of thing, but I'm keeping an eye on the price (and DLC). If I can get a complete edition for around $20-30, I might pick it up.
18 hours ago, Briste said:

I guess Darkest Dungeon is kind of scary. I have a Leper in my party and I think he's my favorite so far. I like that he can de-stress himself and heal at the same time...plus he does pretty good damage. I've only done about 5 missions so far, but I think I'm going to roll with the Leper, Crusader, Vestal and Highwayman. I've liked those the most so far from what I've played, but all of them are pretty useful so far.

Lepers are GODLIKE, if you can deal with their low accuracy. Don't underestimate their ability to clear corpses. Crusaders are really good if you take my approach of mostly playing in the Ruins. Vestals are...mandatory, as far as I'm concerned. HWM are okay. I typically prefer them in shuffle parties, but I'm assuming you use them in the back.

My favorite class was the Plague Doctor, but I think they got nerfed hard with the CoM update. I don't know how you're going to do DD3 without them.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Briste said:

It's more fun to use all classes all around the first playthrough (you need to level 6 them all for a trophy, might as well keep thing fresh). For my Stygian playthrough, I went the boring route and built four similar teams - vestal on 4th, Jester on 3, Houndmaster on 2 and Flagellant / Hellion on 1st.  Occultist probably works as well.

You can spec 3/2/1 on stacking bleeding, which works well against everything except undeads, but the Hellion deals good physical damage as well, you can use them in the ruins. Flagellant is a DLC class, but you are going to 100% the game as usual, so you might just play with it as well. Jester can stress relieve and gives a nice party buff.

• Like 3

• I have The Witcher 3. I just haven't found the time to play it yet.

You’re missing out. 

Some people have expressed not getting into the game, but once I got to Velen and heard The Baron talk about his story, I was hooked. 

The link between Geralt and Ciri is strong and it’s something I don’t see often, particularly in today’s games that take the Hollywood route of making a love story cliche rather than something intriguing. I won’t spoil the story in case you haven’t watched it, but there’s a reason why this game gets so much praise. 

Death March isn’t that hard at all, and it becomes more engaged because you have to heal in ways other than meditating. The Gwent cards can be a pain, so I would suggest keeping a list or a spreadsheet on Excel to keep track of what you have left. There is a quest late in the game that rewards unique cards, be sure not to get rid of them.

Am I the only person who did Brutal legitimately? 1f602.png

You got balls of steel. You can easily die 1000+ times in just one of the Uncharted games. 

That train in Uncharted 2 and Syrian castle in Uncharted 3 must of been a bitch to get through.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Am I the only person who did Brutal legitimately? 1f602.png

Nah, I did it aswell and it was a pain at times, but it was worth it. 

You want to know my secret for playing scary games? Die. On purpose. A lot. Once you familiarize yourself with all the sounds and death animations, they become a lot less scary. I was openly mocking the alien by the time I got to the end in Isolation. He'd drop down from the rafters and I'd bust out laughing, because there was nothing he could do to me that I hadn't already seen a hundred times. If anything, he was just a minor inconvenience on my way to the next checkpoint.

I did that when we played Slender back in the day. I just ran and didnt bother. 

But it doesnt really help me nowadays. I probably just need to man up and get through the games. :D

Who are your starting agents? I almost always went with Internationale (because of her wall hacks) and Derek (because of his transport beacon). You want Internationale to have any augments that increase AP, because her main job is to scout the map and hack terminals. Ideally, you want Derek to recover items and distract guards, as he can teleport around the map. It's usually better to give the beacon to another agent, so that Derek can easily regroup with the rest of your team. If you have Banks as a third agent, you're pretty much set, as she can unlock level 1 security doors without a card. Increase AP on everybody. Avoid killing guards. Avoid alerting guards. Avoid KOing guards until you're making a break for the exit. Spend time getting loot in earlier levels, but don't take unnecessary risks later on. Beat levels quickly (before reinforcements begin to show up). Don't spend too many resources on your third and fourth agent. Hell, if you get trolled by RNG, don't even bother with the fourth agent. A fully maxed out Internationale and Derek are more than enough to get through Expert.

You really want to break the game? Get Internationale the following augments/items: Cloaking Rig III, Stim IV, Chameleon Movement, Net Downlink, Torque Injectors (optional), and an EMP Pulse (for screwing with machines). It's GG at that point.

Cloaking Rig III is probably the best item in the game. Get one for everybody, if possible. Learn to manipulate the AI. My favorite way of screwing with them is opening a door and then hiding. You can sometimes distract multiple guards by playing ding dong ditch. If you aren't aware, you can "pin" two guards at once by dragging a body onto an unconscious guard. Ping is a great program. Use sprint to cover a lot of ground AND distract guards. Don't be afraid to use sacrifices in the final mission. Once you're on the last objective, Internationale and Derek are expendable. They should be used to clear a path to the exit.

I usually start with Banks and International. I've tried Derek once but I wasnt able to use his teleporter and abondoned the save alltogether.

I found out about the Killer Combo on my Expert Plus PT. Cloaking RIG III is OP and even better with the other stuff you've mentioned. 

My biggest issue is with Monster and getting his ass around the map in the final mission. With rewinds its okay, because I can lure and sacrifice my other agents. Also finding the rooms is sometimes a pain in the ass. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Lepers are GODLIKE, if you can deal with their low accuracy. Don't underestimate their ability to clear corpses. Crusaders are really good if you take my approach of mostly playing in the Ruins. Vestals are...mandatory, as far as I'm concerned. HWM are okay. I typically prefer them in shuffle parties, but I'm assuming you use them in the back.

My favorite class was the Plague Doctor, but I think they got nerfed hard with the CoM update. I don't know how you're going to do DD3 without them.

18 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

It's more fun to use all classes all around the first playthrough (you need to level 6 them all for a trophy, might as well keep thing fresh). For my Stygian playthrough, I went the boring route and built four similar teams - vestal on 4th, Jester on 3, Houndmaster on 2 and Flagellant / Hellion on 1st.  Occultist probably works as well.

You can spec 3/2/1 on stacking bleeding, which works well against everything except undeads, but the Hellion deals good physical damage as well, you can use them in the ruins. Flagellant is a DLC class, but you are going to 100% the game as usual, so you might just play with it as well. Jester can stress relieve and gives a nice party buff.

I've liked the Leper a ton so far. He can take a beating and deal a beating and I love that he can heal himself and remove some stress too. I lost my Crusader though lol I'll get another one at some point I'm sure, but I was bummed cause he got me through the first three missions. I screwed up and thought I selected a short dungeon, but chose a medium dungeon. I only brought 8 torches and the darkness made him highly stressed and he died of a heart attack ? Renauld is gone but never forgotten!

I had to quit that mission because I lost him and everyone else was near a heart attack as well. I almost made it too...I only had one room left to go.  I had an Arbalest, a Flagellant, the Leper and my Crusader in that party. Not much for healing, but I thought in the short dungeon it wouldn't matter. I'll probably mix and match quite a bit since each character has some pretty cool abilities. I like the Plague Doctor too...he looks like someone out of The Dark Crystal.

The controls on the Vita are a little funky...you switch characters in the dungeon by tapping on the back of the Vita...so needless to say I switch characters by accident constantly. I really don't like that 'button' on the Vita since you hands naturally go there. Of the four games I'm playing right now...I think I like DD the best so far. Path of Exile is actually pretty fun too...it's basically a super complicated Diablo clone...I think the trophy list on that one is mostly misleading...nothing has been hard so far but I'm sure that will change during the endgame.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 0:16 AM, Cassylvania said:

I literally know nothing about them, except the new evolution of Farfetch'D, which was spoiled for me by Twitter. That said, I'll probably need to do some research to figure out which version I'll buy, as the choice isn't as easy as Let's Go (Eevee >>> Pikachu).

Yeah, I used up most of my free money to digitally re-purchase Let's Go Eevee. But my GAWD you CANNOT play this in handheld mode(my favorite Switch mode) because you will never get an Excellent throw on handheld mode. I'll have to locate my dock again... :(

Also, I didn't avoid spoilers because some of the new Pokemon were really cool. I will hint that old Pokemon get regional variants like some did in Pokemon Sun/Moon. If you are a big fan of K.I.S.S., you will probably like one of the Galarian forms which actually gets a new evolution. xD

On 10/28/2019 at 0:16 AM, Cassylvania said:

Well, Pokemon were the original trophies. "Gotta catch 'em all," you know.

Yeah, I know. Just think, if I hadn't caught that episode in the original anime where Ash defeats Brock in his gym long ago, I might have had a different life. :D

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, RuneEyesDragon said:

Yeah, Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield are due out in 18 days so I am trying to do a personal quest to get a Butterfree from Pokemon X.D. all the way to Pokemon Moon with as many ribbons as possible.

I've been around enough Pokemon games to know that that is a hell of a difficult task, good luck with that. ?

On 27/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, RuneEyesDragon said:

Unfortunately, Pokemon games are RPGs so they take a LONG time to complete, even more so since I'm trying to get every Pokemon I can catch before battling each gym. I'm on Pokemon Ruby now grinding out to 67/386 Pokemon before facing the next gym.

You mean the Professor Oak Challenge? You really like challenging yourself with Pokemon, don't you? ? And I thought Nuzlocke runs were tough.

And yes, I'm waiting for the release of Pokemon Sword & Shield too; as always they revealed a bunch of stuff (still nowhere near what they did with Sun & Moon), but even so, they're the first Pokemon core games on Switch and they look promising, so I'm excited.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KN_Kirai said:

I've been around enough Pokemon games to know that that is a hell of a difficult task, good luck with that.

It's not only difficult but also EXPENSIVE. Even after finding a retro game store that sells on the cheap, I was still down $200 for the GameCube, the DS, an actual Gameboy Advance(because the GBA/Cube link cable won't work with DS) and a copy of all of the games I would need. I was lucky my parents paid me good money to watch their house and my sister's dogs during a couple of out-of-state trips. ;)

I'm also working on getting ribbons on the Butterfree and that's a whole new can of Wurmple considering you have to do three rounds of contests, Battle Tower for five games for a 50-win streak as well as the Battle Maison AND the Battle Tree in Sun/Moon. Thanks for the luck, I know I won't be able to get 1/3 of the way done before November 15. :D

10 minutes ago, KN_Kirai said:

You mean the Professor Oak Challenge? You really like challenging yourself with Pokemon, don't you? 1f602.png And I thought Nuzlocke runs were tough.

The Professor Oak challenge isn't tough, just time-consuming. It's worse to grind for EXP in Gens 5 and 7 because the EXP goes the Shining Force route and the higher your Pokemon's level, the less EXP you get from any battle. Gen 7 also axed the trainer 1.5x bonus so it's faster to just farm wild Pokemon instead of wasting time with petty trainers. :( Ruby's easier because of the Pickup ability Zigzagoon(which you can catch in the first route) have that have a 15% chance every fight to pick up a Rare Candy. If I make a new trophy checklist thread, I can talk all about Pokemon there and not clog Cassy's thread with talk about a series that isn't on Playstation. ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

Death March isn’t that hard at all, and it becomes more engaged because you have to heal in ways other than meditating. The Gwent cards can be a pain, so I would suggest keeping a list or a spreadsheet on Excel to keep track of what you have left. There is a quest late in the game that rewards unique cards, be sure not to get rid of them.

Yeah, I already have a Word file/spreadsheet/checklist printed out and ready to go for The Witcher 3. It's just going to require a month or two where I can sit down and enjoy the game. Maybe January? Maybe plat 200? I dunno.

14 hours ago, Spaz said:

You got balls of steel. You can easily die 1000+ times in just one of the Uncharted games. 

That train in Uncharted 2 and Syrian castle in Uncharted 3 must of been a bitch to get through.

The train in UC2 was probably the worst part. The boss there can pretty much one-shot you. Other than that, I had trouble with the sandstorm section in UC3 and that stupid part where Nate gets his foot caught in the stairs and has to shoot two enemies before they fire a shot. I must've died there a hundred times. ?

I probably would've used the tweak glitch if I had known about it. The only glitch I knew about was the blue room skip in UC1.

3 hours ago, Mori said:

I usually start with Banks and International. I've tried Derek once but I wasnt able to use his teleporter and abondoned the save alltogether.

I thought the beacon was broken too. It's not. To use it, you have to first select the item from your inventory and throw it on the ground. Then, you can have Derek teleport to it by selecting it from his skills (the same way you'd use sprint). Just BE SURE TO PICK UP THE BEACON BEFORE YOU FINISH THE MISSION. The game warns you if you're about to leave the beacon behind, but if you spam X like I do, you might miss it.

Monster's a pain in the final mission. I got lucky on my hardest playthrough by having the console right next to the exit room, but I've had other times where they're on opposite ends of the map. Unfortunately, I think your next map is "locked" as soon as you finish each mission, so you can't just reload a save from the world map screen. You might consider backing up a save right before finishing the second to last mission... Just in case the layout of your final mission sucks.

1 hour ago, Briste said:

I've liked the Leper a ton so far. He can take a beating and deal a beating and I love that he can heal himself and remove some stress too. I lost my Crusader though lol I'll get another one at some point I'm sure, but I was bummed cause he got me through the first three missions. I screwed up and thought I selected a short dungeon, but chose a medium dungeon. I only brought 8 torches and the darkness made him highly stressed and he died of a heart attack 1f62d.png Renauld is gone but never forgotten!

Wish I could remember my rule of thumb. I wrote it down somewhere... But I had a general idea of what to bring on each dungeon, depending on the length and location. Honestly, torches are so cheap that I wouldn't skimp on them. You get better rewards if you fight in the dark, but I always found it best to keep my light maxed out. You should also check out a curio guide, because I didn't understand their usefulness on my first playthrough...

I kept my Renauld until the end of the game. ? Pretty sure he got the killing blow on the final boss.

1 hour ago, RuneEyesDragon said:

The Professor Oak challenge isn't tough, just time-consuming. It's worse to grind for EXP in Gens 5 and 7 because the EXP goes the Shining Force route and the higher your Pokemon's level, the less EXP you get from any battle. Gen 7 also axed the trainer 1.5x bonus so it's faster to just farm wild Pokemon instead of wasting time with petty trainers. :( Ruby's easier because of the Pickup ability Zigzagoon(which you can catch in the first route) have that have a 15% chance every fight to pick up a Rare Candy. If I make a new trophy checklist thread, I can talk all about Pokemon there and not clog Cassy's thread with talk about a series that isn't on Playstation. ;)

Doesn't bother me. It's one of my favorite series too. Unfortunately, I'll always be a gen 1 player at heart... I can't learn all these new Pokemon or types or moves or forms or evolutions. That's why I was kinda hoping they'd remaster Red and Blue for the Switch. I would've been fine with that as our first REAL Pokemon console games. (All the rest have just been a tease.)

I hope Sword and Shield aren't too easy. That was the general impression I got from Let's Go, Eevee, which is one of the reasons I didn't get very far. To me, I want my Pokemon games to require a little grind every time I arrive in a new city. It should almost be necessary to go out and add new Pokemon to your team to keep up with stiffer competition. That's how those games kept my interest as a kid.

I got up early today to knock out some trophies in Little Nightmares. Just got the speedrun and about half of the DLC to go. For RE7, I have Ethan Must Die (which I haven't tried yet), Not a Hero on Professional difficulty (which I'm prepared for now, I think), and a bit more of the main campaign. I'm not sure I can 100% both games by Halloween. There are several hard trophies there, and I'm working on replacing the kitchen floor, which I also wanted to have finished by the end of the month. Ethan Must Die will probably be the deciding factor. If I can beat it on my first or second try, it's possible, but I'm not somebody who is going to keep banging my head against the wall until I get it.

Because then I'd have to replace the wall too.