Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

3 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Salt and Sanctuary was indeed fantastic. I have to say though, Death's Gambit is very similar, and I prefer its artstyle over the cartooney S&S. If it keeps being as good as it has been, I might consider this one to be even a bit better than S&S.. but let's see, it's still early :) 

I am really intimidated by some of Death's Gambit's trophies that I keep pushing it further and further into my backlog. I don't know if I prefer the art style of Salt & Sanctuary more or not but I do dig the atheistic. 

• Like 3

On 11/8/2019 at 4:45 AM, Arcesius said:

Now if you would play Hollow Knight and Furi... (sorry, I told you I wouldn't stop insisting ?)

It's almost as if I'm waiting for something... ?

On 11/8/2019 at 4:45 AM, Arcesius said:

Actually, your concept of the favorite list is something I might copy for my own checklist as well.. I only have that list in my head, and would be nice to write it down and see how it changes over time :)

I update mine from time to time. It's hard to maintain it, because our tastes do change, and there's not a sizable gap between the games that made the list and the 40-50 other games that almost made the list. For example, I didn't include Resident Evil 4, which is probably just as good as Shovel Knight. Is that because I generally prefer retro-style platformers over third-person shooters? Maybe. I've tried to stick to a top 10 or 20 list, but that's only going to get more difficult as my library of games increases. What I might end up doing is restricting the list to 10% of the total number of games I have on my account. Right now, I have 215 games, so I could make a top 21 or 22 list. That should allow me to include my absolute favorite games, without having to remove games if my library gets too big.

But yeah, it'd be cool to see other people's lists. I wish PSNP had a feature that would allow players to "rate" games on their account, and that those ratings were visible to everybody. Whenever I see a game in common on someone else's account, I wonder if they enjoyed it as much as me.

Anyway, I'm not enjoying 9P as much as I thought I would. It is brutally hard. The quest to unlock Amadeus, who I'm pretty sure is ripped straight from Trine, requires dragging a stupid box across a level and protecting it from enemies, deadly obstacles, and Amadeus...who throws the box instead of setting it down gently. (I lost that damn box over a ledge far more times than an enemy smashing it.) With Amadeus, I can finally start my Hardcore playthrough. He begins the game with a spell to throw a box (yay...), Elsa breath, and a lightning trap that is actually a godsend, because electrocuted enemies are stunned enemies. I got lucky and got a heal spell off the first boss, and then Death Beam and Death Circle, which are probably two of the better spells in the game. I don't have a fire attack yet, but I made it to Stage 14, which is almost halfway. (And no, you can't reset after killing a boss to reroll your three randomly selected spells. I tried that. They seem to be locked in once you begin a new game.)

I guess my question this week will be: what are YOUR top five favorite games on the PS4? Consider series as one game, so you aren't filling the list with Dark Souls and Kingdom Hearts sequels.

• Like 3

My favorite PS4 games are (in no particular order except for no. 1):

1. Trials Fusion (by far)

2. TheHunter: Call of the Wild

3. The Last of Us: Remastered (the story was OK, but mostly because of the Factions mp)

4. Bloodborne

5. Darkest Dungeon

Runner-ups:

Stardew Valley

Horizon Zero Dawn

Salt and Sanctuary

Firewatch

Story-wise, I would probably pick the Witcher 3 as my favorite game, but technically speaking I never played it on PS4, it's one of literally 2 games that I've played on PC (the other one being Virtual Pool 4, which I still play from time to time). 

• Like 3

On 11/7/2019 at 10:32 PM, Cassylvania said:

I think it can be done right (you included several good examples there), but I just don't like it's become the new standard. I prefer movies to modern TV shows because generally, when I go to watch something, I want to see the resolution that same day. Not all the time, but I'd say 90% of the time. Shows like Power Rangers, Space Cases, and The Secret World of Alex Mack had an overarching storyline, but each episode was a self-contained story. That put more pressure on writers to tell a good story, because they couldn't just bait you into coming back with a cheesy cliffhanger, and it prevented them from painting themselves into a corner, which you see in a lot of modern shows, where the writers clearly didn't think far enough in advance about how the story would play out. A good example of this is any season of 24, which was one of the first shows I remember using the continuing episode formula, where the characters end up doing things that make no sense when you take into account their past actions. Normally, if you have a character fall into a pit, you'll have time to think about how that character will get out -- and you can revise your story accordingly. The problem with continuing episodes is that writers often only plan out one episode at a time, and it becomes really obvious that they probably wish they could retcon some of that stuff later on. That's not to say 24 was a bad show, because I actually really liked the first five seasons, but it brought forth a lot of problems with the formula that I haven't seen revolved yet.

There's a big difference between those older shows and the shows you see today.

Those older shows had a self-contained story that wouldn't last more than 2 - 5 episodes. So even if you missed out on a few episodes due to school or work or whatever, you can pick it right back up. I rented a few old VHS tapes of Power Rangers, didn't scratch my head on the story.

You take a modern show like Mr Robot with Rami Malek. He's just okay to me, not great but not that bad either. Now it's at the point where I don't know what the fuck was going on. I had to buy DVDs and Blu-Ray sets of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad to understand the story. You missed a few episodes, suddenly the story advances to where you don't know what happened. Did Tony Soprano do this beforehand? Did this event happen?

I'm just tired of that shit. We've had over 15 years of these shows, but thankfully there have been a couple more light hearted shows that I've actually been enjoying surprisingly.

I don't recall if ER was basically a series of self-contained stories or an continuous story, but if so that was one of the first shows I remember seeing that had that. It was one of George Clooney's early successes, whom I regard as one of my favorite actors in Hollywood.

Baywatch may of done this, but that was before my time and I was never interested in the show to begin with.

Most of the 90's shows you named were sitcoms, so there wasn't really a singular plot, but certainly something like Boy Meet Worlds had a steady progression and evolution of the main characters. That was nice to see. I can't think of another show from that time (outside of maybe Friends) that allowed you to grow up with the actors on the show. Usually, when the actors get too old for their respective roles, the show is cancelled and maybe a spinoff is introduced. That's what they did with iCarly, which was the last good teen sitcom I remember watching. I didn't care for the spinoff.

Full House, Family Matters, Home Improvement did this as well. You saw the Mary Kate and Ashley twins grow up on Full House. Steve Urkel (Jaleel White) was just a young teenager when he got big on Family Matters, although he didn't transition well in the later seasons.

All the stars in Friends were grownups when it premiered back in 1994, so not exactly a good comparison. Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was kind of sort of. Uncle Phil's (Steve Avery) younger daughter grew up a little throughout the show, Carlton Banks (Alfonso Ribeiro) was pretty young but I didn't see any noticeable difference. Will Smith himself is still Will Smith. Probably had the least change compared to everyone else.

The problem is with child stars, it's extremely difficult for them to find any work once they become young adults. Macaulay Culkin, best known for starring in Home Alone 1 & 2, hasn't been able to find real work in over a decade. He's completely washed up, has had numerous drug problems, and just looks awful despite being 39 years old. Rather sad.

We had our fair share of mediocre shows too, though. I thought I really liked Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers and Captain Planet, but going back and watching them as a 30-something made me rethink that part of my memory. Other shows held up really well. DuckTales, Johnny Bravo, and Animaniacs are timeless, and Batman TAS may be one of the greatest shows ever created. But the 2000's brought a lot of great cartoons too, like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Steven Universe, The Amazing World of Gumball, and Gravity Falls. I'm not ready to say we had it better as kids. In fact, if anything, I'd argue the drop in quality of animated shows from 1995 to 2015 is the smallest of any form of media (including movies, music, and any other form of TV show). I don't know if I'd say it's necessarily better or on par with what we had, but I haven't lost faith in animation, like I have the rest of Hollywood.

The animation changed from actual hand drawing and hand made backgrounds to Flash quality material.

There was a huge shift from the early to late 1990s. The early half gave us Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron, Tale Spin, Batman: TAS, Gargoyles, Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures. By the later half it was Dexter's Laboratory, Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd n Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog  and so forth. The animation was dramatically different, and the shows themselves were more catered to comedy than they were action adventure, which is the genre I prefer the most in any animated cartoon.

I was one of those kids who switched over to Anime, and to be frank it contained the first story arc plots that I recall following and enjoying. I was a huge Dragon Ball Z fan, and I drew guilty pleasure out of Sailor Moon. Pokemon, not so much. Once Anime hit the United States, we started seeing a decline in action adventure cartoons in favor of comedy cartoons.

The 2000s had some good shows, but by the mid 2000s I gave up a lot of cartoons in general to watch more live action. Codename: Kids Next Door was a little amusing despite being targeted to younger kids. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Camp Lazlo were my breaking point and I dropped Cartoon Network soon afterwards. Pretty soon I was only watching the Adult Swim block because that was the only thing left I gave a shit about. I still think The Venture Brothers was funny and original, Robot Chicken was a little neat but was a bit weird for my tastes.

Nickelodeon is probably the biggest channel I loved that absolutely turned to shit. That's not say I didn't enjoy stuff on there in the 2000s. I watched a bit of The Amanda Show and Drake & Josh. Avatar: The Last Airbender is what I regard to be the last good cartoon show on Nickelodeon. The fact that show was short lived and Spongebob Squarepants managed to live on for nearly 20 years is fucking despicable. It should of ended a long time ago.

Movies and music have always varied. We've always had mediocre piles of shit from both media forms. Although I can probably safely say that pop music today, compared to 15 - 20 years ago, is shit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Went for series to cover all your bases, huh? 1f602.png

The only one I haven't heard of or played is Jotun, which I guess I'll need to take a look at. (As if I'm not going to buy something with the words "hand-drawn" and "Norse mythology" in the synopsis.)

Well, you said I can only pick one game of a series, otherwise there would be a lot of Yakuza games in there :D 

It´s a really small but challenging game! I had a lot of fun with it and can really recommend it. The trophies are a bit hard and you will fight those bosses a lot but if you get the last trophy you feel just like a god :P If you are really good in this game you don´t Need a lot of time to plat it, but RNG will screw you in some trophies more then on others.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 7:22 AM, Cassylvania said:

I guess my question this week will be: what are YOUR top five favorite games on the PS4? Consider series as one game, so you aren't filling the list with Dark Souls and Kingdom Hearts sequels.

Hmm only 5 huh... Let's see... In no particular order! 

1. Nioh. Yes, I think Nioh wins over Bloodborne. I loved Bloodborne, that will always be my first souls(like) game, but the combat in Nioh, the grinding for better gear, the Diablo-esque loot system just makes this game slightly more engaging for me. Granted, I prefer the world design of the Souls games over the mission-structure of Nioh, but that's about it. So looking forward to Nioh 2, in case you wouldn't have guessed ? I won't mention another Soulslike on this list just to keep it mixed. 

2. Hollow Knight. If it wasn't obvious from my review and all the times since that I've mentioned this game, Hollow Knight definitely is amongst the best games out there, and definitely the best metroidvania on the PS4. Anyone that likes those type of games needs to play this one. 'nuff said. 

3. Furi. Ah, the game that made me realize that I actually like challenging games. ? And also the game that made me switch to digital purchases only. I wanted to get a Limited Run Games physical copy of Furi, but it was sold out within 2 minutes... So I decided to get this one digital, and haven't purchased a single physical game since. 
    This game is something else... The style is fantastic, the fights are engaging, somewhat challenging and spectacular, and the soundtrack, even though I generally don't like electronic music ((Prog) Metal >>>> anything else), is just perfect for this game. Very well designed, very polished. 

4. Hyper Light Drifter. I'm so surprised that I liked this game so much, but man did I have a good time with Hyper Light Drifter.. It is one of those games that I still think about even years after having finished it, and the only criticism I have is that it is a bit too short (and has too many collectables). I could have spent twice the time with this game, and the trophy list has some challenging stuff there, too! Just a fantastic indie. 

5. Crypt of the NecroDancer. I have only played about 20 hours so far, but this game just pushed itself to the top 5. It is unlike anything I've ever played before, just so unique and innovative. The characters all play very differently, so the gameplay stays fresh, and even though you cannot use custom music on the PS4, there are several remixes available, and they are all fantastic. I might think differently when I have 600+ hours under my belt and the game starts feeling a bit old, but as of now, this might be one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

Wow.. when did Final Fantasy lose its spot in my top-5? ? I'm surprised to be honest! 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

Top 5 in no particular order

1. Return of the Obra

I can not overstate how wonderful this game is.  In an industry that is so saturated with samey kinds of games and are unwilling to take risks, here sits this gem.  Its a puzzle game where you play an insurance inspector (fast paced and riveting I know) tasked with finding out what happened to a ship, the eponymous Obra Dinn, as it washes ashore. You are given a notebook and your task is to identify and discover what happened to each of the 60 passengers aboard the ship.  How will you do this you might ask?  With a magical pocket watch that shows you the moment of death for any remains that you may find.  Unluckily, people about to die don't usually tell you their name and position so its up to you to deduce who is who given a variety of clues.  Its a ton of fun for a simple game. 

2. Tetris Effect 

This one is perhaps a bit taste driven.  But if you enjoy Tetris, this is the best game available for the console.  With great music, lots of interesting modes, and a modern tetris approach (also great in VR for what that's worth) It presses all the right buttons.  The downside is the platinum is both difficult and grindy, but oh so worth it. 

3. Subnautica

I don't usually enjoy survival games, but this one is a gem among nonsense for the genre.  Its loop is very much in the craft things to explore the area so that you can find more things and craft more stuff to explore a different area until you reach the depths of the planets core and find out what the heck is going on planet 4546B.  The story here is great, and I won't spoil it.  Definitely worth looking into.

4. The Witcher 3 

What can I say here that hasn't been said 111 million times in 110999999 better ways.  But this game is good, play it.  Its arguably the best RPG on the system to date and has the best sidequest I've ever seen in a video game (The Baron one for people in the know).  

5. Rayman Legends

This happens to be another great game that people shy away from because of the platinum, but Rayman Legends is an excellent 2-D platformer.  Its very much in the vein of the original Super Mario World, where you journey to different biomes and collect the things.  The level design here is really on point and creates a lot of excellent moments, not to mention the music levels which are the highlight of the game.  The Elephant in the room is the level 11 awesome which comes from approximately 2.5 months of grinding online daily and weekly challenges, but even those are a lot of fun (though admittedly old after the 6th or 7th consecutive week of playing them every day). 

Edited by Together_Comic
  • Like 3

On 10-11-2019 at 7:22 AM, Cassylvania said:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Bioshock
  • Dark Souls
  • Final Fantasy
  • NieR: Automata
  • Like 3

On 10.11.2019 at 7:22 AM, Cassylvania said:

Here are my five plus:

• XCOM 2: Like @Briste, I like turn based tactical combat, and XCOM 2 is my favorite on PS4. It is challenging, but reasonable in its difficulty. The WotC DLC was a great addition to the gameplay. I enjoy playing the game just as much as watching my go-to youtuber play modded PC versions of XCOM 2 every year.

• The Witcher 3: The Quest design is great, the quests blend so much into another that many seperate quests feel like one and the same mission. The lore is good, and Gwent is a great mini game. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, so much that I bought both DLC.

• Valkyria Chronicles (4 and 1): Valkyria Chronicles is such a unique experience in its mix of real time and tactical action. I also like Anime, so the setting is pretty much a plus for me. Both games tackle serious issues in a colourful, bubbly package.

• Until Dawn: I like cheap horror movies a lot, and my most favorite type is: group of five to seven people go somewhere and encounter a mythical beast/mutants/aliens/creepy creature/monster. A nice game in the side: guess who is going to survive (is it the pretty, yet reasonable girl and the daring douche wiho turns out to be a not-so.-bad guy?). Until dawn falls just into this bracket.

• Divinity - Original Sin (both 1 and 2): two great cRPG games. Use your mucles or your brain, both ways can get you to your goal. The focus is on the story, you can get through with a minimum of fighting if you chose to.

So many more good games. RDR 2, Alien: Isolation, Observation, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Uncharted

TLOU didn't make the list because I played it on PS3.

Edited by Rally-Vincent---
  • Like 4

On 11/11/2019 at 3:03 AM, Arcesius said:

Wow.. when did Final Fantasy lose its spot in my top-5? 1f633.png I'm surprised to be honest! 

Maybe you just really like hard games. ?

Crypt of the Necrodancer looks so good, though. I'm thinking of buying it for the Switch. At the very least, I need the soundtrack.

On 11/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, Together_Comic said:

3. Subnautica

I don't usually enjoy survival games, but this one is a gem among nonsense for the genre.  Its loop is very much in the craft things to explore the area so that you can find more things and craft more stuff to explore a different area until you reach the depths of the planets core and find out what the heck is going on planet 4546B.  The story here is great, and I won't spoil it.  Definitely worth looking into.

Wow, Subnautica on a top 5 list? Interesting. I keep saying I think it looks overpriced, but maybe I'm wrong. How does it compare to Abzu?

Also, your #1 is new to me. I'll add that to the list of games to check out.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:33 AM, Briste said:

Other than playing video games...counting is probably the next best thing I do. This is probably the most boring top 5 of all time...a lot of AAA titles and nothing really controversial....but remember folks...I missed out on a solid decade of gaming due to my love affair with Final Fantasy XI so a lot of these games that were 'stale' or 'didn't add anything new to gaming' were all very new and very revolutionary to me.

Seems like a solid list to me. You like third-person AAA games a bit more than me, but I'm glad to see XCOM 2 and The Banner Saga make the cut (even if I'm pretty sure you cheated). It's a shame the difficulty of those games will scare some people off.

On 11/11/2019 at 1:00 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Valkyria Chronicles (4 and 1):Valykria Chronicles is such a unique experience in its mox of real time and tactical action. I also like Anime, so the setting is pretty much a plus for me. Both games tackle serious issues in a colourful, bubbly package.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite game on the system. I wish there were more games in the style. I actually...well, I guess that's a good segue into my next update.

I finally started playing Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, which is a name that probably should have spent a few more weeks in marketing (like all games that include "Zero" in the title). Let's call it what it really is, though: Furry XCOM. Yes, guys -- it's a tactical role-playing game that features an anthropomorphic pig and duck. Porky and Daffy (don't laugh -- one of their names is even stupider than that) are Stalkers, which means you might want to get a restraining order their job is to scavenge the post-apocalyptic world for scraps in order to keep the last haven for mankind (a treehouse called the Ark) alive. I'm not sure if the game is trying to be serious or not, but the gameplay is pretty cool. Like VC, it's a mix of real time and turn-based combat. In the "real time" mode, you wander around an area, collecting items and supplies, and try to avoid being spotted by enemies. The strategy seems to be to find stragglers and pick them off one by one, because once combat is initiated (that's where the turn-based stuff comes in), all of the enemies in the zone close in on you. And it's hard. Like, really hard. I had to drop the difficulty down to Normal because I couldn't figure out how to win. It turns out that you are probably supposed to avoid fighting those enemies until you gain a few levels, but that never stopped me from exploring the graveyard in Dark Souls.

Anyway, it's neat so far. There is very little information out there about the game, so this is going to be a learning experience. I think I'm going to keep it on Normal and then attempt a Very Hard/Iron Pig (that's probably what it's called) playthrough. I'll need to figure out which characters are the most useful. I have a handful now, but you can only have three on your team at any time. I kinda like the pig the most because he has this ability called Hog Rush that knocks down an enemy for two turns. When they're knocked down, they can't call for reinforcements, so I can get like eight silent shots off, which is enough to kill most enemies I've encountered. Of course, sometimes you can't get an enemy alone, so you probably need to spend a good deal of time micromanaging.

All that being said, I'm still ten platinums short of 200. If I'm going to make that goal by the end of the year, I'll need to average five plats for the next two months. (Like that advanced math?) It might be time to start doubling up on games. I have a couple of games downloaded on my PS4 that I've been wanting to try, so maybe I'll begin both and we'll see how many I finish by Thanksgiving. I'm sure we can dig a few shorter games out of my library too...

• Like 4

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and always enjoy reading the latest discussions and plat updates. Feels like a cosy clubhouse, so I hope I'm not intruding here. ?

My favourite games on the PS4 so far, in no order:

The Witcher III - Absolute masterpiece in my opinion, despite its technical issues. While I had played the second game before, it was the third one that made me fall in love with the series and start reading the books. The atmosphere in that game is like nothing else. I'll never forget when I first entered Crookback Bog, rain smattering against my armor as the wind threatened to rip up the weak trees from their roots. I just stood there and lost track of time as I became fully immersed in the world, listening to distant screams of monsters and victims alike in that ancient, cursed swamp. Also, Triss is best girl.

Alien Isolation - I'm awful when it comes to horror games. An absolute pussy. This game was so damn good though, that I just could not stop playing it. Definitely one of my all-time favourites and one of those games I can play over and over again without ever getting bored. I hope this game gets the sequel it deserves, or just let it be and stop with these mobile versions. It's unworthy of what these devs managed to accomplish.

The Last Of Us Remastered - This game receives enough compliments, so there's no need to inflate its ego further. Although this might primarily be a PS3 game, I never played it on that console, so for me this was a PS4 experience. Enjoyed it from start to finish, though I'll never forgive Naughty Dog for stealing my fucking ammo during my Grounded run. Seriously, fuck you for that.

Life is Strange - I'm glad you said we shouldn't mention entries in a series separately, because that means I can add Before the Storm here as well. I love Life is Strange (and BtS) so much. Certain parts of these games wrecked me, hard. While a lot of people would laugh at the notion of a 20-something guy saying he can relate to a bunch of teenage girls, I really could. I felt like it touched on a lot of emotional points for me, as well as the creative side I think a lot of us struggle to bring out and maintain. It was as inspirational as it was depressing. What further enhanced this amazing journey was the soundtrack, as it featured a lot of post-rock and indie music, which are my favourite genres. I will exclude Life is Strange 2 from this praise though. I played the first episode and found it to be far too political and I didn't feel engaged or interested in any of the characters.

South Park: The Stick of Truth - So many tears of laughter. If Alien Isolation is the best adaptation from a movie ever made, then I'd say the Stick of Truth is the best adaptation from a tv-show. At first I was bummed out that the EU version was censored, but when I read the replacement screens they had added, I realized that version was even funnier. I'm a fan of turn-based combat so that was a big plus as well. Pls nerf Jews, Obsidian.

Honourable mentions:

Batman Arkham Series - Although these games have been remastered, and I do have them in my backlog, I played these games on the old 360, and as such I view them mainly as last-gen games. They're so great though that I had to mention them, especially Arkham City which is my personal favourite.

Rebel Cops - If people enjoy TBS games, I can really recommend this little gem. Made by the same guys that developed This is the Police, it's a short and enjoyable experience. Don't expect much in terms of story, but I think it does a great job at setting the tone and overall gritty atmosphere. This game released for like $9 or something, which is almost a steal. It's refreshing when a game is released underpriced instead of overpriced though.

The Order 1866 - I can understand why people felt ripped off if they bought this at full price. I borrowed this from a friend so I wasn't in the same situation. The length (or lack thereof, rather) is definitely the biggest flaw of this game, because I genuinely enjoyed every other aspect of it. The characters, story and setting was great, and while the combat was simplistic, I think it did its job without messing up. I hope this IP has a future when we move on to the next generation.

41 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I finally started playing Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, which is a name that probably should have spent a few more weeks in marketing (like all games that include "Zero" in the title). Let's call it what it really is, though: Furry XCOM. Yes, guys -- it's a tactical role-playing game that features an anthropomorphic pig and duck. Porky and Daffy (don't laugh -- one of their names is even stupider than that) are Stalkers, which means you might want to get a restraining order their job is to scavenge the post-apocalyptic world for scraps in order to keep the last haven for mankind (a treehouse called the Ark) alive.

Mutant Year Zero is based on a Swedish tabletop RPG by the same name. The original version is simply called Mutant. Year Zero is a spin-off, set in a different time period. All versions include talking animals though, and giant bumblebees. I've always been interested in the tabletop game, but was kinda put off by the talking elks and badgers. I had the idea of simply replacing all those characters with human counterparts instead, because the setting is quite nice. The official campaigns revolved mostly around detective work in various city hubs iirc, but that doesn't seem to be the case with Year Zero? I firmly recall there being multiple cities and settlements, and if Year Zero only has the Ark, I suppose it would make sense to focus on the survival aspect. Shame though. I've always wanted to use some questionable interrogation tactics on Donald Duck.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Wow, Subnautica on a top 5 list? Interesting. I keep saying I think it looks overpriced, but maybe I'm wrong. How does it compare to Abzu?

Also, your #1 is new to me. I'll add that to the list of games to check out.

I havent played abzu, but it seems like they are different styles of game. That being said, I wont lie to you 40 or 60 dollars for Subnautica is probably to much even though I really enjoyed it. I got it on a double discount sale at some point for 15 and I think that's probably the sweet spot. The game isnt all that long maybe a 15-20 hour story (which is to say a plot that has a beginning, middle, and end. It has a light presence and doesnt bombard you with it and even leaves some gaps to fill in) with not much side content unless you enjoy cataloging wildlife. The game really shines in its atmosphere and exploration. If you enjoy that sort of thing, this you would probably enjoy this.

-TC

• Like 3

On 11/12/2019 at 6:39 PM, SinisterPledge said:

I've been lurking this thread for a while, and always enjoy reading the latest discussions and plat updates. Feels like a cosy clubhouse, so I hope I'm not intruding here. 1f642.png

Well, welcome to the cool club, where the Sunny D is fresh and we always praise the sun! I like your list. It's good to see somebody not hate on The Order: 1886, just because it's relatively short for a AAA game (does it even qualify as a AAA title?). I've played all the games you listed, though, except The Witcher 3 (which I'll obviously get to soon) and Rebel Corps, which sounds interesting. I actually bought This is the Police in a sale a while back, so maybe I'll try that first.

Thanks for the info on Mutant! I had no idea it was based on a board game.

22 hours ago, Rally-Vincent--- said:

I watched a whole playthrough last year. It was on my list, it looked promising, but I felt something was missing, so I didn't buy it in the end.

I'm getting that same impression so far. It doesn't seem as intricate as XCOM, but maybe we shouldn't be trying to compare the two. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get a little further in the game.

23 hours ago, Together_Comic said:

I havent played abzu, but it seems like they are different styles of game. That being said, I wont lie to you 40 or 60 dollars for Subnautica is probably to much even though I really enjoyed it. I got it on a double discount sale at some point for 15 and I think that's probably the sweet spot. The game isnt all that long maybe a 15-20 hour story (which is to say a plot that has a beginning, middle, and end. It has a light presence and doesnt bombard you with it and even leaves some gaps to fill in) with not much side content unless you enjoy cataloging wildlife. The game really shines in its atmosphere and exploration. If you enjoy that sort of thing, this you would probably enjoy this.

Cool stuff. And yeah, I was thinking $15 sounds about right, based on what I've seen. We'll have to see if I can fit that in this year. Fortunately, @SpaceCoresDad came through for us with another community event. (If you haven't signed up already, you should do so.) This one works out perfectly, as there are ten categories and we're ten platinums away from 200.

I was able to find spots for my three active games (oh, didn't I mention? I started another new game yesterday called Mark of the Ninja: Remastered), but we'll have to do some head-scratching for the others. I think the hardest ones with be a game with a black protagonist (South Park: The Fractured But Whole is perfect for that, if you're looking for ideas) and a game with a young girl as the main character (Celeste, Little Nightmares, Yomawari, and A Hat in Time would all be great, if I hadn't played them already). I could do Child of Light, which would work for either young girl or a snow-based game, but it doesn't have a platinum. We could do Impact Winter, but do I really want another survival game?

In any case, a community event finally gives us structure. I feel like we've been adrift at sea for a while. Let's pick our games and set a course for 2020!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

I actually bought This is the Police in a sale a while back, so maybe I'll try that first.

I watched a playthrough of this as well. The story part was a bit weak, the combat was all right. There is a sequel (This is the Police II), just in case you find the first game interesting.

Also, somewhat similar in that you have to acquire and connect clues together to progress the story: Phantom Doctrine. It is set in an espionage environment. It is tactical turn based. The tactical combat has one unqiue feature: You can set up Agents outside a room an order them to dtorm the room, and they all will enter and shoot on everything that is in there. If you amass enough firepower with silenced weapons, you can secretly take out a room with several enemies without raising alarm. Unfortunately, the combat is cheesable, making it not much of a challenge. The whole thing again runs under "promising, but...".

Have a look at it, it's good for three playthroughs, but not more.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

You know I love cheese in my tactical games. But if it's that easy, why are there only two platinum achievers in the whole world? I'm going to have to investigate this further...

The EU version has 16 Plat Achievers. My guess is that people didn't find it interesting enough to get all the trophies? Otherwise I don't know.

• Like 1

I've looked at a video of Mark of the Ninja: Remastered and it looks similar to Assassin's Creed Chronicles, but I suppose you won't be interested in the latter as, somewhat knowing your style, you'd only play an Assassin's Creed game if you ever decided to go for the whole series, right? But anyway, there's another game that I wonder if you ever considered, and that is Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. Are you familiar with it? It feels up your alley, even though it's not turn-based and has a colon in the title :D

• Like 2

A top 5 games that is quite difficult. I count games I played on the PC too that are available on the PS4.

These are in no particular order.

1. Bloodborne. A masterpiece, a game that you solely would justify buying a PS4 for. As I can't list a full list of From Software titles I decided that BB is my pick.

2. Batman arkam City. Ok I am cheating a little becauses this was available on PS3 too. In my opinion the best in the series.

3. Rocksmith 2014. To some a learning tool but I still play it daily as I love the guitar with so many tracks available there is something for everyone.

4. SEUM: Speedrunners from Hell. I played this on PC and it was a blast. Accuracy with the mouse is quite beneficial so I don't think the PS4 version is that great. Still an incredible fun game. Check out some speedrunner footage if you are curious.

5. Monster hunter World. As a big Monster Hunter fan I played this on the PSP later on the Wii and even the Wii U (yes really). Monster hunter World is a fantastic one in the franchise even though the grinding for crowns can be painfull. I finished this on PC but I am thinking about going for the plat for both the regular version and Iceborn at some point. Capcom is on fire as of late. 

Congrats on FInishing Mark of the Ninja I enjoyed that one. A nice art style for sure. 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2019 at 0:31 PM, Rally-Vincent--- said:

The EU version has 16 Plat Achievers. My guess is that people didn't find it interesting enough to get all the trophies? Otherwise I don't know.

Still, I like the look of it. Wish there was a physical version. If I'm going to pay $30 for a game, I want something sexy I can put on my shelf, right between XCOM 2 and the awesome that is The Banner Saga Trilogy. (I don't know my alphabet.)

On 11/16/2019 at 1:45 PM, det_gittes said:

I've looked at a video of Mark of the Ninja: Remastered and it looks similar to Assassin's Creed Chronicles, but I suppose you won't be interested in the latter as, somewhat knowing your style, you'd only play an Assassin's Creed game if you ever decided to go for the whole series, right? But anyway, there's another game that I wonder if you ever considered, and that is Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. Are you familiar with it? It feels up your alley, even though it's not turn-based and has a colon in the title :D

Yup. It's been on my Amazon wish list since release. I'd like to get to it soon (this has been the year of the ninja, after all), but I'm not sure I have the time.

As for Assassin's Creed... Think I'm going to cut my losses. It'd be great if I could get to every series out there, but realistically I'd rather finish the ones I've already started (e.g. Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil) than start something new. MAYBE someday I'll request one AC game to play (like I did with Far Cry Primal), but I can only take so many AAA third-person action games.

6 hours ago, ZoutjeNL said:

5. Monster hunter World. As a big Monster Hunter fan I played this on the PSP later on the Wii and even the Wii U (yes really). Monster hunter World is a fantastic one in the franchise even though the grinding for crowns can be painfull. I finished this on PC but I am thinking about going for the plat for both the regular version and Iceborn at some point. Capcom is on fire as of late.

That's another game I'd like to get to. I know it's long, but I'm used to the grind.

Anyway, for those of you stalking my profile, you'll have noticed I started THREE new games: Frost, Broken Age, and Cosmic Star Heroine. This is my desperate attempt to get nine more games finished before the end of the year. Yeah, I know I could just buy a few quick platinums, but these are ones I've wanted to get to for a while now. I also took a sledgehammer to my backlog. I seriously deleted about half of the games on my list, because I'm going to start being a lot more selective about my game choices in 2020. I'm thinking only games that I feel will be at least an 8/10...

I also started Pokemon Shield. I caught a Rookidee. Yeah, I didn't get very far.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Just don't ask why there's a trophy for speedrunning the game. Nobody knows.

Congrats on another plat and thanks for the recommendation, I even started this game a few years ago but completely forgot about it. Is the speedrunning trophy anything to worry about? Do you have to follow a guide while going for it or do you know the story well enough at this point that a guide is not required?

• Like 2