Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

1 hour ago, Grotz99 said:

No worries, I'm not a die hard fan by any means, but Farve was amazing and Rogers hasn't filled those shoes, but still entertaining to watch him with Devante Adams and Aaron Jones. I know there is a rivalry between them and the Vikings, but I would like to see either team make it to Super Bowl (really any team other than the Patriots).

I'd like for the Vikings to win a championship SOMETIME in my lifetime, but I don't see it happening this year. They're not the same team on the road as at home, and being the #6 seed (most likely) means they'd have to win three roads game just to get in. GB is possible, but I just can't see them winning in New Orleans or Seattle. (Actually, their entire record against the Seahawks since Wilson got there is abysmal.)

21 minutes ago, det_gittes said:

Thanks for your thoughts! I'd say that genre-wise it would be a good pick (I got hooked on Stardew Valley and played nothing else for a month or so at one point) but I will pass on GK this time for a very pedestrian reason - the DLCs (well, at least the Breaking Dead one) are not on sale in EU, so if anything, I may grab it in the future (although I am really not low on titles to play anyway :D).

Yeah, you're probably not going to want to do the game without Breaking Dead. It'd be EXTREMELY tedious if you had to carry every log or chunk of stone back to your house. Right now, I only leave my main base to tend to the graveyard and gather sand, which I'm using to make hundreds of glass vials (for easy blue points). Having the zombies restock my supplies means I can wait for them to be full and then quickly chop firewood and make all the tools I need.

Another gripe I have with the game is the time it takes to get anywhere. I feel they made the world a bit too big, or didn't make the running speed fast enough. Because of that, I'll rarely go until town until I absolutely need to. (Although that is realistic, as someone who grew up in the country...)

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 3:35 PM, Cassylvania said:

...but not if you quit out of the game without saving.

Wouldn't that be "but not if you sell the town and save over it?" Which you can do in New Leaf, by the way. Isabel gets really scared if you say you want to sell the town and start over.

Yeah, I am going to be being more casual with my trophy hunting this time. I just earned my 20th platinum there yesterday and am using burner accounts unconnected to the network to try out games that I am interested in. That way I won't regret putting a game on that I don't like for the trophies. I also am going to be more intolerant towards DLC. I threw away my second copy of LEGO Dimensions because I don't have the Trump account on-line to buy all of the expansion packs and don't have any time in the world to play through all of the required packs. I like LEGO but not that much.

Congrats on #197! I hope you get #200 before 2020! :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuneEyesDragon said:

Congrats on #197! I hope you get #200 before 2020! :D

Thanks. It'll be close. I wanted to get Graveyard Keeper finished before Christmas, but the DLC is taking longer than I expected.

Let's do the last round of awards before the top three games of the year.

Best Gameplay of 2019

So, all the awards so far have been something that we could give to a TV show or movie. This category is intended to be strictly for gameplay. If we strip away everything else, what were the most purely fun games I've played this year?

Obvious choices would be Nioh, Sekiro, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (hey, welcome to the nominations), and Resident Evil 7. Nioh and Sekiro haven't done much in the awards so far, but it's hard to deny that they're both excellent games. I think Nioh has more variety, but Sekiro is a more polished product. Bloodstained has a bad story and some questionable acting, but the controls are tight and the action is fluid. I have many, MANY issues with RE7, but I'm going to say it ranks up there with Alien: Isolation as a true horror experience. That's something I don't think you could recreate easily on the big screen.

This one might surprise you...

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/2bbf9f/L8974bb.png

Hey, a game that was released in 2019 won a 2019 award!

It's no secret that I didn't like this game as much as Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I don't even know if I liked it more than Nioh. But unlike Nioh, which had me fumbling through my menus for the right items (and a Ki Pulse system that I never understood), Sekiro played like an extension of myself. I would get into a groove, where the controls and movements just felt natural. It's pretty amazing to play a game where your reflexes are operating faster than your brain. I'm not going to say I was good at it, but I think there was just enough margin for error in this game for it not to feel cheap when you die. I think it takes a while to get to that point, though. For me, it didn't "click" until I got to that giraffe-that-is-definitely-not-a-giraffe fight. You're pretty much required to master the controls for that fight, and that mastery can carry you through the rest of the game.

Some really awesome boss fights too...

Worst Gameplay of 2019

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/ba39ff/Lb7b5f2.png

While not nearly as bad as the kid-friendly games I grew up -- you know, back when the only clue you had to the overall quality of a game was the box art -- this felt more like a joke that had no punchline. The puns are still there, which I guess is good...but the platforming is pretty bad. How do you mess up the jumping in a platformer? (Yes, I know Forgotton Anne had a similar problem, but everything else was solid.) Here, every jump is a gamble, wondering if you're going to hit an enemy or take damage. Add in about four million collectibles that are thrown haphazardly around every level and you have yourself one of the most unenjoyable games you can play on a modern console. Not everything from the 90's needs to be brought back.

Why is there ANOTHER of these games called Paws on Fire?

• Like 3

Most people will call your profile pretty good because of the variety of games you’ve added over the years. 

But what impresses me the most is the fact you’re maintaining over five trophies a day on average @Cassylvania, yet your average rarity is just above 41 percent. There is barely any stacks on your profile, and at the pace you’re going you will eclipse me in trophy count by the end of 2020 or early 2021. 

I made the mistake early on to add games that were going to be a huge time commitment as well as being somewhat difficult. Nowadays those games have gotten worse, not just for the fact that the players who still roam online have turned to hacking/cheating, but also the servers themselves getting more unstable. Then there’s the ever looming server shutdown, which unfortunately has happened to a number of PS4 games. 

The best I can hope to muster is have my unearned trophy count to just over 200. Likely a 97 - 98 percent completion profile. But never anything above that. 

You can finish all your games, you’re taking a risk maintaining a 100 percent account. Well done. You being a female gamer makes it even more impressive.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 3:19 PM, Cassylvania said:

King's Quest is the Breaking Bad of video games.

This is actually a remake of the story of the original game, which was an adventure game from Sierra. If you want to play the first three games in the series without hacking servers, a group of people remade the games in HD and changed up the stories a bit, especially in King's Quest II which was tropy as hell back in the day - I like the remade version as it fleshes out stuff a bit more and makes the NPCs more alive as well as shows scenes from Graham's past and future. This version is a reboot created by some people who enjoyed the original games. I'll post a link to the remake page. They also remade the second Quest for Glory game to be more high-def.

I loved King's Quest and played all of the games up to King's Quest VII. I think King's Quest VI was their glorious moment, but then they jumped the shark. The last game wasn't even an adventure game, it was a terrible Skyrim ripoff. :(

Remake of the first King's Quest games: http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 7:00 AM, RuneEyesDragon said:

This is actually a remake of the story of the original game, which was an adventure game from Sierra. If you want to play the first three games in the series without hacking servers, a group of people remade the games in HD and changed up the stories a bit, especially in King's Quest II which was tropy as hell back in the day - I like the remade version as it fleshes out stuff a bit more and makes the NPCs more alive as well as shows scenes from Graham's past and future. This version is a reboot created by some people who enjoyed the original games. I'll post a link to the remake page. They also remade the second Quest for Glory game to be more high-def.

I loved King's Quest and played all of the games up to King's Quest VII. I think King's Quest VI was their glorious moment, but then they jumped the shark. The last game wasn't even an adventure game, it was a terrible Skyrim ripoff. :(

I used to think I was the ONLY GUY out there who knew anything about the King's Quest games.

Back then you had to have a PC (Windows 3.1, Windows 95), and because they were so expensive very few parents bothered with one. I was extremely lucky to have a father who worked at Hewlett Packard back in the day, he was around a lot of tech guys who were into computers and they convinced him to buy a Windows computer. Most of the kids I grew up with only had consoles, because they were cheaper and because they were a lot more accessible. Windows back then took a bit of research to even figure out, and with no internet connection, that was easier said than done.

My 38 year old sister played a lot of Kings Quest V and Kings Quest VI. Let me just tell you that Kings Quest VI is my childhood favorite, and to see what the video game industry has turned into has gotten me more sad and nostalgic about replaying the game. I played the CD version and it was basically the equivalent of playing a Walt Disney animated film that you can interact with. The man who voiced Alexander also voiced Beast in the Disney animated film Beauty and the Beast. Tony Jay did a marvelous voice acting performance. There were others. In a time when Aladdin and The Lion King came out, I was so excited as a kid to play through Kings Quest VI, even though it took ages for both me and my sister to actually beat it. 

1993 - 1994. That was such a long time ago. Makes me feel sad that today's generation knows absolutely nothing about the King's Quest games. Furthermore they don't have the patience to sit through these games. Even with a walkthrough guide in hand they would still complain that these games are too slow and have too many puzzles. So why bother with a point and click?

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, you'd eventually be able to get to 99% by adding enough games. But what's the big deal about 100%? I'd argue that a 99% profile is better than a 100% profile, because a 100% profile means you're not actively working towards anything.

But I know what you mean. I've only been at 100% once, but I know all the games I have left are technically possible. I'll eventually run into a game that's too hard to platinum or simply not worth my time. Cities: Skylines came damn close. If I had to actively play the game to get trophies like What the...?, I probably would've given up.

My average rarity is probably low because I play a lot of games that aren't very popular (like the one below) or that appeal to more casual gamers. That'd be a cool stat to work on in 2020, though. Maybe getting some more UR plats will drop that number below 40%.

My only goal for 2020 right now is 10k trophies. I won't be catching you next year. 1f602.png

Well yes I could, but 99 percent isn't my intention either. I'm actually happy with where I'm at right now. 95 percent completion, and I can definitely raise it to 97 percent by getting Fallout 4 and other games fully complete.

That's a fine line there. I've seen 100 percent profiles that aren't active, but if someone just completed a game and maintained that profile, that doesn't mean they're taking a break or have quit trophy hunting. So keep that in mind.

41 percent is good, but I find profiles with 35 percent or lower to be pretty impressive. Problem is you probably have to play a LOT of niche, indie titles that hardly anybody knows about. Honestly I think playing nothing but AAA games and the most well known niche games to be rather boring. Anybody can go and platinum the latest Call of Duty game. I can have a bunch of Ubisoft and Activision titles and just left it at that. Sure that's what a lot of people do, but I like to diversify my profile a bit. There's plenty of good niche games out there if you look hard enough. Sometimes I look at other games other people have done and once I see the gameplay, I make plans to buy them in the coming future.

I'll be working on UR trophies myself. I'm no hardcore gamer however, so I'll just dabble in the occasional game with a UR platinum.

At the pace you're going you will definitely surpass 10,000 trophies unless you're going to play a few very time consuming games. I will still suggest The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, that game is awesome and it's very cheap to find on the internet. Nothing difficult about it, Death March is pretty lenient actually as long as you properly eat food and heal yourself.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

But what's the big deal about 100%? I'd argue that a 99% profile is better than a 100% profile, because a 100% profile means you're not actively working towards anything.

Absolutely. But it is still nice to hit 100% from time to time :) As you said yourself, you can always hit 99% eventually if you add enough games, even if you gave up on certain things. But yeah, I also think that it is about striving for 100%, not about hitting it. 

My average rarity is probably low because I play a lot of games that aren't very popular (like the one below) or that appeal to more casual gamers. That'd be a cool stat to work on in 2020, though. Maybe getting some more UR plats will drop that number below 40%.

I dunno why, but I have also been more concerned with average rarity lately, which is why I am annoyed when I see games I wanna play that have high completion %, such as Final Fantasy VIII or The Surge 2, for example. It's not like it stops me from playing games I'm interested in, but I noticed that I started paying more attention to it, dunno why. 

I'm currently trying to bring my average rarity down to 30%, but playing popular games such as Detroit: Become Human or even Diablo III, which has very high trophy percentages, always increases my stat since I don't yet have too many played games ? 

What happened to Hollow Knight? You seem to have been playing many other games... Not as good as you'd hoped? And are you playing this one on mute, too? ?

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 9:44 PM, Spaz said:

At the pace you're going you will definitely surpass 10,000 trophies unless you're going to play a few very time consuming games. I will still suggest The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, that game is awesome and it's very cheap to find on the internet. Nothing difficult about it, Death March is pretty lenient actually as long as you properly eat food and heal yourself.

You know it's on my list. ?

But yeah, we can't all be like @Arcesius, with a sub-35% average rarity. You'd pretty much have to force yourself to play very specific games. I just started Dragon Quest Builders 2, which is something I've wanted to play for a while now, but the platinum is above 30% (despite it being a long/casual game). I could probably get sub-40% by choosing my next games carefully, but any lower than that is going to require more work than I'd want to put in for a specific stat. It doesn't help that I like games from genres that are easy targets for trophy hunters (e.g. point-and-click, puzzle, interactive story).

That's probably the most frustrating thing around this hobby to me, honestly. I don't really mind what games other people play, but it hurts me when I know that a game I like is only being used to boost somebody else's trophy count. Point-and-clicks get it the worst.

On 12/27/2019 at 7:48 AM, Arcesius said:

What happened to Hollow Knight? You seem to have been playing many other games... Not as good as you'd hoped? And are you playing this one on mute, too? 1f636.png

I think it's safe to say that platinum #200 will not be happening this year. It's nothing against HK. I just need a break from all the long, difficult games this year. Six XCOM playthroughs, The Long Dark, Cities: Skylines, Resident Evil 4 and 7, The Banner Saga 2 and 3, Nioh, Sekiro, Dragon Quest XI, four Tomb Raider games, five Atelier games, Mutant Year Zero, Arkham City, and Invisible, Inc. -- not to mention a plethora of indie titles that I had to do without a guide (looking at you, Frost). Mentally, I'm not in the shape I need to be in to tackle Hollow Knight.

But I do at least want to get through the 2019 awards. Let's have a quick recap.

Best Story: South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, What Remains of Edith Finch, Little Nightmares (Worst: The Long Dark)

Best Animation: Guacamelee, King's Quest, The Banner Saga 2, Forgotton Anne, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince (Worst: Pic-a-Pix Classic)

Best Setting: Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age, Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, The Long Dark (Worst: Plague Road)

Best Voice Acting: King’s Quest, Forgotton Anne, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (Worst: Resident Evil 4)

Best Soundtrack: Forgotton Anne, The Flame in the Flood, The Long Dark, Resident Evil 7 (Worst: Pic-a-Pix Pieces)

Best Protagonist: King's Quest (Graham), The Banner Saga 2 (Alette/Rook), Forgotton Anne (Anne), Little Nightmares (Six) (Worst: Lara from Shadow of the Tomb Raider)

Best Gameplay: Nioh, Sekiro, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Resident Evil 7 (Worst: Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back)

Well, congrats, I guess, to Dragon Quest XI for winning two awards (and being nominated for two more). That’s pretty impressive for a game that I didn’t have a ton of good things to say about at the time, despite liking what I saw. I think maybe I took that game for granted while I was playing it. It certainly sticks out in my mind when I look back at all the major titles I finished this year.

Anyway, I ranked my top three favorite games this year. Every game in the top three was also nominated for at least one reward, so I don’t think there will be a ton of surprises here…except maybe the order in which I decided to rank them, and which one I’m giving the #1 slot. But we're only doing one per day! We'll start...with the third best game this year.

Any guesses on this one?

Best Game of 2019 (3rd Place)

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/8c1281/L091bde.png

I guess if I had started out with this category, you might have been surprised that it made the list. But after winning all those awards, are you surprised to see it only at #3?

I think what I like most about this game is the amount of quality content it has. That's what I mean when I talk about the “value” of a game. A game can be 100 hours long, but only have 60 hours’ worth of content. That’s ultimately why games like The Long Dark and Invisible, Inc. suffer. They're fun for a while, but they have platinums that feel they should have been earned in about half the time. Conversely, I don’t think I ever got tired of playing DQ11. Yeah, there was some annoying post-game grinding and some trophies I could have done without, but I didn't hate the game by the time the platinum rolled around. In fact, I enjoyed it so thoroughly that I want to learn Japanese so I can play some of the earlier titles. It's not often that a game makes me want to take up a new language.

This may also be the first 100+ hour title that didn't make me cry myself to sleep after getting the platinum...

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

But yeah, we can't all be like @Arcesius, with a sub-35% average rarity. You'd pretty much have to force yourself to play very specific games. I just started Dragon Quest Builders 2, which is something I've wanted to play for a while now, but the platinum is above 30% (despite it being a long/casual game). I could probably get sub-40% by choosing my next games carefully, but any lower than that is going to require more work than I'd want to put in for a specific stat. It doesn't help that I like games from genres that are easy targets for trophy hunters (e.g. point-and-click, puzzle, interactive story).

I’ve seen accounts well under 30 percent rarity. But you pretty much have to almost exclusively play games with a lot of rare trophies. The problem is, a number of these games aren’t all too fun to play. Looking at you Broken Age and Ether One. 

I have a LOT of easy games, including the auto pop Sound Shapes stacks which tend to raise my rarity up quite a bit. 

The problem is you remove all the challenge when you look at trophy guides for point and clicks. I look at TellTale Games as the modern point and click. People don’t like to find the hidden object without a guide. 

47 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That's probably the most frustrating thing around this hobby to me, honestly. I don't really mind what games other people play, but it hurts me when I know that a game I like is only being used to boost somebody else's trophy count. Point-and-clicks get it the worst.

I already sort of feel that way towards some of the older point and clicks.

I might actually try to do the Kings Quest reboot myself instead of just looking up a guide for it. 

• Like 1

I agree, one could easily feel "forced" to play certain games to lower the average rarity... And how is that better than playing 5-minute plats for the sake of it? It's not... Which is why I'm still trying to really play games I want to regardless of rarity. I don't think I could point out a single game on my list that I played for the trophies... Hell, I still play super easy games (Déraciné, Undertale, Detroit: Become Human,...) regardless of rarity because I really was interested in those games. 

But you really made the right point... it comes down to the type of games you enjoy. It just so happens that many of the games I enjoy are rare-ish... But if like yourself you enjoy adventure games and interactive stories, it would be stupid to not play those games only because they increase a (in principle) meaningless stat ?

I think it's safe to say that platinum #200 will not be happening this year. It's nothing against HK. I just need a break from all the long, difficult games this year. Six XCOM playthroughs, The Long Dark, Cities: Skylines, Resident Evil 4 and 7, The Banner Saga 2 and 3, Nioh, Sekiro, Dragon Quest XI, four Tomb Raider games, five Atelier games, Mutant Year Zero, Arkham City, and Invisible, Inc. -- not to mention a plethora of indie titles that I had to do without a guide (looking at you, Frost). Mentally, I'm not in the shape I need to be in to tackle Hollow Knight.

Fair enough, and great that you recognized this and decided to postpone it ? Better for you mentally, and fair to Hollow Knight as well. I feel already a bit overwhelmed by the ridiculous 18 or so plats that I got this year, so I can only begin to imagine how it must be getting all those rather involved games done! 

Anyway, I ranked my top three favorite games this year. Every game in the top three was also nominated for at least one reward, so I don’t think there will be a ton of surprises here…except maybe the order in which I decided to rank them, and which one I’m giving the #1 slot. But we're only doing one per day! We'll start...with the third best game this year.

Sooo... your picks didn't necessarily win their respective categories, mhm? ? I'll have to guess Little Nightmares will be among the remaining 2 games... ?

12 hours ago, Spaz said:

I’ve seen accounts well under 30 percent rarity. But you pretty much have to almost exclusively play games with a lot of rare trophies. The problem is, a number of these games aren’t all too fun to play. Looking at you Broken Age and Ether One. 

Absolutely, I follow a couple of people with their average rarity in the low 20s... But they are UR-hunters and rarely play anything that isn't sub-1%. I mean, I have said many times that in my opinion there are many ways to pursue this hobby, and I can see the appeal of going for UR platinums exclusively. But it is not for me personally, since there are many, many fun and incredible games with higher rarities that I don't wanna miss out on. 

I just checked and the one profile that I personally find incredible and is more or less where I'm trying to go with my own profile is at 33% average rarity. Nice mix of really challenging stuff but you also see that the person really plays to have fun. 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

I agree, one could easily feel "forced" to play certain games to lower the average rarity... And how is that better than playing 5-minute plats for the sake of it? It's not... Which is why I'm still trying to really play games I want to regardless of rarity. I don't think I could point out a single game on my list that I played for the trophies... Hell, I still play super easy games (Déraciné, Undertale, Detroit: Become Human,...) regardless of rarity because I really was interested in those games. 

But you really made the right point... it comes down to the type of games you enjoy. It just so happens that many of the games I enjoy are rare-ish... But if like yourself you enjoy adventure games and interactive stories, it would be stupid to not play those games only because they increase a (in principle) meaningless stat 1f642.png

I wouldn't call those super easy games...

Marvel's Spider-Man has a high rarity because a lot of people stuck with the game (because it's probably the best Spider-Man game), and we both know we can't always assume the percentages are because those trophies were easy or hard.

I just finished Guacamelee 2 the other day. Great game, great fun indie title, a proper sequel that follows after the events of the first game. But...... some of those challenge rooms and platforms were pretty damn tough. I had a lot of trouble with a 'certain' challenge room involving three lavafalls that go back and forth. Enemies are Exploders and the ONLY way to beat them all in time is to constantly use Wall Fly. Meanwhile you have to constantly change dimensions for the lavafalls to turn into platforms, and since there's three of them, those that were platforms turn back into lavafalls. I easily spent a good 40 - 50 minutes just trying to beat that challenge room, I must of died at least a couple hundred times.

The last Pollo Dungeon that gives you the infinite ability was a real son of a bitch. The platforming and timing reminded me of Super Meat Boy. That took a long time to finish as well. Tule Tree in this game thankfully wasn't as bad. The Jade Key was annoying, but not near as difficult as it seemed. All this and the platinum rarity is a whopping 33.75 percent. It's definitely one of the toughest "uncommon" platinum trophies I have. The next toughest I think is Bloodborne.

5 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Absolutely, I follow a couple of people with their average rarity in the low 20s... But they are UR-hunters and rarely play anything that isn't sub-1%. I mean, I have said many times that in my opinion there are many ways to pursue this hobby, and I can see the appeal of going for UR platinums exclusively. But it is not for me personally, since there are many, many fun and incredible games with higher rarities that I don't wanna miss out on. 

I just checked and the one profile that I personally find incredible and is more or less where I'm trying to go with my own profile is at 33% average rarity. Nice mix of really challenging stuff but you also see that the person really plays to have fun. 

Some of the best accounts I've seen are Danny_Johansen, greenzsaber, TheYuriG, Floriiss, Beatminaz, PrinceofPeace and Potent_Delusions. I'm not as good as these guys are, but I never intended to stand out or try to be impressive.

The goal I've maintained for four years now is to keep a diverse list of games. Games that are extremely popular that virtually everyone has played, to very obscure games that only a small handful have heard about. I don't like to play exclusively AAA games because I will be missing out on smaller productions like Shovel Knight. I also don't like to exclusively play indies, because there are a few AAA games still worth getting and playing. I take a bit of both worlds, not going too far in one or the other. That's my biggest strength I have done so far as a trophy hunter.

When it comes to modern music, modern television shows and modern movies, I think the vast majority of it all is crap, and frankly, I prefer the classics. Not so with video games. I have an liking and interest for all different genres in gaming. It's something I've done since the early 1990s and I don't see myself stopping unless the PlayStation 5 and new Xbox consoles prove to be a huge disappointment. If that happens I can always go back to PC gaming. I've delved into PC gaming plenty of times in the past, I own several accounts across different platforms (Steam, Origin, etc) so I'm not short of stuff to play if I happen to quit trophy hunting or take a break from console gaming.

Variety is the best medicine. Not easy, not hard, just sticking to the games you have interest in and having fun.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Spaz said:

I might actually try to do the Kings Quest reboot myself instead of just looking up a guide for it. 

The problem with the reboot is that a lot of trophies are missable. I don't know why those exist in a point-and-click. Trophies should be awarded for achieving something, like beating a boss for the first time or solving a puzzle without using a hint. It's stupid to make players use an item on its unintended target or to die in a specific way.

I tried to beat the game only using a missable trophies guide, and I still missed the purple badger one, which required playing through most of Chapter 1 again. Chapter 2 is even worse.

11 hours ago, Arcesius said:

Sooo... your picks didn't necessarily win their respective categories, mhm? 1f914.png I'll have to guess Little Nightmares will be among the remaining 2 games... 1f62c.png

Well, the "best" category is taking all other categories into consideration. DQ11 just ended up checking so many boxes that I think it would be criminal to not give it a top three spot. I mean, if the music was better (as it was in the Switch version) and if I knew enough Japanese to use it as the default language, it could've swept EVERY category. That's pretty crazy for a game that kinda went under the radar this year for me.

But yeah. You're not wrong.

Best Game of 2019 (2nd Place)

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/e2dd30/L761f4e.png

A good game sticks with you. Months later, I don't remember most of the crap I've played. When I was picking the nominations for each category, I had to manually scroll through the full list of games I finished in 2019 and think whether or not they belonged among the best of the best for this year. That wasn't the case with Little Nightmares. With every single category, before I even pulled up my profile, I wondered, "Should Little Nightmares be on this list?" I think I was trying to force it, and I'm glad I picked the categories before I picked the games, because I'm pretty sure I would've found more ways to include this. That's why I even suggested "fun" miscellaneous awards, like Most Disgusting Game or Best Use of Shadows and Light, because I feel this game deserves more recognition.

Well, it gets it now.

I...actually typed a lot here, but I decided to delete it because it'd be a disservice to anybody playing the game for the first time. I just want to say it's a must play. It's not long or hard. Yes, the no death speedrun trophy is bullshit, but you can play it on PC or Switch if that really bothers you. Just take an evening to sit down, play through it, and try to piece together what's going on in your mind. I think you'll find it as unforgettable as I do.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The problem with the reboot is that a lot of trophies are missable. I don't know why those exist in a point-and-click. Trophies should be awarded for achieving something, like beating a boss for the first time or solving a puzzle without using a hint. It's stupid to make players use an item on its unintended target or to die in a specific way.

I tried to beat the game only using a missable trophies guide, and I still missed the purple badger one, which required playing through most of Chapter 1 again. Chapter 2 is even worse.

Don't try to discourage me from playing the game. It sounds like you really loved Kings Quest, and I definitely look forward to it in the coming months.

22 hours ago, Spaz said:

Don't try to discourage me from playing the game. It sounds like you really loved Kings Quest, and I definitely look forward to it in the coming months.

That was not my intention. Perhaps this will help.

Best Game of 2019 (1st Place)

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/c39506/L839495.png

I made a joke before about crying myself to sleep after platinuming some games. That's not true. I very rarely cry. I think I shed a couple tears when watching Forrest Gump for the first time, at the end of Shiloh and Where the Red Fern Grows (hey, I was like seven), and...at least once when playing through this. That's like a twenty-five gap where I didn't feel any emotions. Maybe it was just easier to tug on my heart strings when I was a vulnerable child, but this game brought me back to those times, when I wasn't just plowing through every game I could get my hands on to raise my online statistics and ego. This was back when the internet was barely a thing, and you had to reason your way through puzzles that honestly made no sense to begin with. I remember being stuck in some sections or rooms for weeks, which is such a foreign concept today. I'm just as guilty as the rest of us, Googling the answer of where to go next in a game at the first sign of frustration. My childhood self would be sickened by what I have become.

You know, something that occurred to me over the summer this year is that I've reached an age in my life where I don't think my all-time "favorites" can be replaced. If you don't know what I mean, think about how often you'd switch between a favorite book or movie or band when you were a kid. It was probably every week. I got in the habit of just telling everybody my favorite band was Metallica until I was 32...even though I don't think I've listened to a Metallica song since 2005. But part of my problem was that it's so hard to pick favorites, because our moods change so often. Our favorites end up becoming things that we grew up with, that have become ingrained so deeply in our lives that we probably wouldn't be the same person without them.

This first occurred to me when I thought of what my favorite movie is, and it's become habitual for me to say Forrest Gump, either because it really is or because it's a popular and unoffensive response to that question that won't force me to defend something that's entirely subjective. The older I get, though, the more I realize that it's probably going to be near impossible for a movie to replace Forrest Gump from my top three list because no movie I see now can ever replace the fact that I grew up with Forrest Gump. Any movie I see today -- no matter how good -- cannot suddenly become part of my childhood. That's why a movie like Moana, which I love and honestly think is the best Disney movie to date, still falls short of Aladdin on my favorites list.

Now, this is all nostalgic drivel, but I don't want you to think my only reason for giving this game the #1 slot is because it brought back good memories. It did something in 2019 that almost every other major entity has screwed up this decade...and that's rebooting a series with the passion and creativity of the original, without compromising the sanctity of what made the original great. I'm not going to lie and tell you that the King's Quest series was ever the epitome of great storytelling and level design. It was vague, the voice acting (if you can call it that) was atrocious, and, almost every time I got stuck on a puzzle, I felt my ideas for a solution were more clever than what the developers actually intended. This was the case all the way up to King's Quest VII, which is probably the one I remember the most vividly (even though V and VI creep into my mind every now and then).

Like Spaz, I didn't think anybody else knew about these games growing up. Nobody talked about them on the playground or on the school bus. It was always Mortal Kombat or Doom. Eventually it got to Pokemon and Super Mario, so I could at least hold a conversation, but nobody seemed to know anything about PC point-and-clicks. Except my dad. In the strangest twist in my life, my father actually took an interest in gaming. I don't think he ever really understood or approved of it, but he seemed to get invested in the games enough to care about knowing what would happen next. It was almost a source of frustration for him, where I never could quite tell if he was mad at the game for not letting us advance any further or me for shirking my chores until I found the right solution. And I know this sounds corny and cheesy, and I've tried to reword these paragraphs several times to explain exactly how these games made me feel, but a lot of my determination when it comes to modern games stems directly from the King's Quest series. These games, guys. These games PISSED ME OFF. Fuckin' Graham and his pun-filled commentary. Most games, when you die or fail at an important mission objective, you get a GAME OVER screen. Graham made light of the situation. It stands as one of the most passive aggressive ways I've ever seen to entice the player to keep playing. I think if the game had just called me out for being a bad player, I would've been like, "Welp, I gave it my best shot." But Graham was mocking me without being resentful. I grew to like him, even though he had the animation of an Atari character and the personality of a funnel cake. And Sierra On-Line was NOT bad at creating protagonists. I mean, if you want to talk about games nobody has ever heard of, Torin from Torin's Passage was actually a pretty interesting main character, and Leisure Suit Larry was...well, I'm getting off track.

It doesn't matter if you've played a King's Quest game before. This reboot has so much charm that I think you would gain just as much enjoyment out of it as I did. Because even if you didn't grow up as a fan of the series, you DID grow up (hopefully), and this game will make you feel like a kid again. I loved the first chapter. Like I said before, I wish the whole game was like this. You get to see Graham on his journey to become a knight. He's silly and whimsical, but he means well. In the later chapters, you get to see him as an adult and then an old man (again, voiced by the legendary Christopher Lloyd, who does most of the voiceovers for Graham in the game), but it should be pointed out that this was a complete revamping of his character from the original games. You should know how much I loved this by the fact that I gave this game the award for both Best Voice Acting AND Best Protagonist. (Just ignore the fact that I forgot to include the latter in my recap. I was drunk when I wrote that.)

If you've played a Telltale game before (it's not one, but it plays like one), then you know what to expect here. The replay value is fairly minimal, but there are some choices you can make throughout the game that have an impact on what characters and dialogue will show up later on (particularly the big choice in Chapter 3). The puzzles are...OK. Um, Chapter 2, like I said, would be really hard to some of the trophies in without a guide...and Chapter 4 went a little overboard...but Chapter 3 had some of my favorite material. I would've liked to see maybe Chapters 1-3 be the first game in the series, and Chapters 4 and 5 to be spread out over a sequel, but the game did set up nicely for a spin-off, if that's ever going to happen. (Probably not, because the episodic formula seems to be dying off.) I just felt like the jump to Chapter 4 happened too suddenly, and it made me miss younger Graham. Chapter 5 also felt a little rushed, but that's to be expected when you release a game piecemeal. I still appreciated the ending.

I don't know if this would be my strongest recommendation this year, but I think it's a game worth playing through, ESPECIALLY if you don't care about trophies and just want to enjoy the story. If you're going for 100%, just keep an eye out on the missables -- especially the purple badger one in the first chapter. And if you do end up playing this game, let me know what you think. It's not as emotionally-driven as The Walking Dead, but it definitely brought up feelings for me that most modern games don't even come close to touching.

God, it's like 1999 all over again...

• Like 3

On 12/29/2019 at 8:04 PM, Cassylvania said:

I just started Dragon Quest Builders 2, which is something I've wanted to play for a while now, but the platinum is above 30% (despite it being a long/casual game).

I'm glad you're trying this game. It's a great game, and only a few small caveats mar it(like some of the text hanging; seriously, I know it's supposed to be epic, but at least let us mash through the damn text!) xD

Sorry about you missing the mark on #200, but if you want Hollow Knight to be that, then  you said yourself that patience is key, especially with a difficult game like that one! Are you going to dip into Silksong? Saw the trailer and it looked dope.

I am gong to be working on trying to play all of the Kingdom Hearts games but probably not KH3 until re:Mind comes out. I don't know if they will put DLC trophies on it(they didn't put difficulty trophies on the game when they released Critical Mode) but I do intend to look for the Oathkeeper and Oblivion and see how to get them as those were cool Keyblades. I also plan on platinuming the two Mana games for the upcoming Trials of Mana in March. :)

13 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

My childhood self would be sickened by what I have become.

Mini-Me: "Well, you're trying to start exercising... if only you hadn't dodged the draft of PE when you were in elementary..."

*sigh* Yeah, I do wish I was a little less fat, a little less lazy, and a little less anti-social. Both of my sisters are married and had gotten pregnant once, but me? The only love of my life is Wizard101. :(

Oh well, one of us kids had to be a black sheep and if I had been an honest human being, one of my sisters would be the slob on welfare. :(

Welcome to 2020.

• Like 1

On 30.12.2019 at 1:09 PM, Arcesius said:

That's the way I chose my games. If it makes anyone feel better - I have never looked up average rarity because it doesn't matter to me.

On 31.12.2019 at 0:13 AM, Cassylvania said:

Just take an evening to sit down, play through it, and try to piece together what's going on in your mind. I think you'll find it as unforgettable as I do.

Little Nightmare is on the January sale at the German PS store if someone gets their games from there.

19 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Now, this is all nostalgic drivel,

Speaking of Nostalgia - if we could get a good remake or reboot of Wing Commander (without an online component), I'd flow over from nostalgia.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RuneEyesDragon said:

I'm glad you're trying this game. It's a great game, and only a few small caveats mar it(like some of the text hanging; seriously, I know it's supposed to be epic, but at least let us mash through the damn text!) xD

That's probably my biggest complaint too. Not only the hanging text, but the sheer amount of dialogue in the game. It's...not terribly written, but it feels like an MMO. You find a NPC, get a quest, collect some items, run back to the NPC, get another quest, and repeat. They removed the time element from DBQ1, which is great, but now your sense of open world freedom is locked behind what is honestly a 30+ hour tutorial. I mean, I'm on the final level now and the game is STILL treating me like I'm an idiot, telling me exactly what I need, where I need to go, and how to advance further in the story. It's at the point where I'm intentionally skipping dialogue not only because I'm sick of listening to it, but because it's the only way to challenge myself. I'm also angry at how repetitive and restrictive the gameplay is. It's like the developers looked at Minecraft and said, "This is way too advanced for our target audience." Clearly they're not aware of the age of an average Minecraft player.

I'm finding combat pointless. For the most part, as long as you have allies, you can dig a hole for yourself, surround yourself with blocks, and go make a sandwich. It takes five or ten more minutes to let the AI do all the work, but it's easier on your fingers than spamming the triangle button four or five times and then running outside of the enemy's attack range.

I'd like to see DQB3 as an open world RPG. Give the player zero tutorial, throw them in a forest, and have monsters appear at night that will rip their limbs off if they're not in a shelter. Trial by fire. That should be the motto of 2020.

But yeah. More Hollow Knight to come. I might need to find a replacement for it for the Winter Holiday event, as I doubt I'll be done by January 12. I'm thinking Child of Light, just because it's a fairly short game, fits the religious category, and doesn't have a platinum (to screw up my plans for #200). We also have to consider how we're going to tackle the New Year's Resolution event. I'd like to do another group drawing this year, to go along with the beach and snow picture I did before.

Just now, Rally-Vincent--- said:

Speaking of Nostalgia - if we could get a good remake or reboot of Wing Commander (without an online component), I'd flow over from nostalgia.

That's another good thought question. If you could have a remake or remaster of any game, what would you want to see?

My initial reaction would probably be an early Harvest Moon game, but that would have to be on the assumption that Natsume would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it. Ogre Battle 64 would have to be another one. I wouldn't want them to mess with the story at all. They MUST keep the characters and dialogue the same (no voice acting allowed), but give us better graphics...and maybe make legions actually useful. I'd love to see that style of combat and overworld movement used in modern games. And I guess for a third option...you know, I'd like to see King's Quest as an open world RPG too. It could be done in the style of Breath of the Wild. I've always liked the idea of playing a game where you start as a nobody and work your way to the top. Usually a game will just have you go from peasant to hero, but I think it'd be great to go one step further, where you eventually become the king's righthand man...before replacing him after his death and having to defend your kingdom against invading forces. That's...probably more than a remake, though.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That's another good thought question. If you could have a remake or remaster of any game, what would you want to see?

My list begins and ends with Final Fantasy VI. I want a remaster and not a remake. Like you said, no voice acting... same dialogue and battle system just modern graphics. To reference your earlier post, this will always be my favorite game for the exact reasons you listed. Nothing encapsulates my childhood like Final Fantasy III (VI).

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Briste said:

My list begins and ends with Final Fantasy VI. I want a remaster and not a remake. Like you said, no voice acting... same dialogue and battle system just modern graphics. To reference your earlier post, this will always be my favorite game for the exact reasons you listed. Nothing encapsulates my childhood like Final Fantasy III (VI).

I would definitely be interested in playing a remaster of 6.  I have never actually played it and started my FF experience with 7, I'd really like to go back and play it, but original hardware or GBA would be rough, and the wii store is unfortunately closed.  Maybe one day.  

My addition to the list would be a remake/master of the Legend of Dragoon.  Similar to the above, this was a staple of my childhood that really cemented me into gaming along with of course pokemon and the legend of zelda.  I do occasionally go back and play this on original hardware (PS2 but close enough) but it would almost be a drop everything and go platinum it now situation if they were to put this out.  

• Like 2

On 1/1/2020 at 4:53 AM, Cassylvania said:

Best Game of 2019 (1st Place)

https://i.psnprofiles.com/games/c39506/L839495.png

-- snip --

Cassy, this write-up was honestly among the best I've read on your checklist. It makes one nostalgic even without having played the game or having experienced what you have... Really enjoyed reading through this, and if this game evokes such feelings then I think it is only fair that it wins your personal awards ?

On 1/2/2020 at 1:02 AM, Cassylvania said:

Definitely Demon's Souls, as I never owned a PS3 and thus never played the game ? If for nostalgic reasons, then I think I'd go with Legend of Dragoon ?

@Together_Comic I see you're playing Thumper... I really liked that one, it's so immersive, especially in VR! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I did ?

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, Cassylvania said:

it feels like an MMO. You find a NPC, get a quest, collect some items, run back to the NPC, get another quest, and repeat.

I'm playing Wizard101 now, I'm used to games like this. xD

Happy New Year's Cassy, hope 2020 treats you well. ;)

On 1/1/2020 at 6:02 PM, Cassylvania said:

Give the player zero tutorial, throw them in a forest, and have monsters appear at night that will rip their limbs off if they're not in a shelter.

Wait, the ghosts in DQB2 weren't tough enough for you?  Yeah, the ones in DQB1 were tougher because they'd rip you in half most of the time since you were alone and out in the wilderness. :P

Don't worry, DQB3 will be based on the third game in the Loto trilogy, and Dragon Warrior III was FAR more ruthless in its monsters. I expect to see a return of Orochi and Baramos with Zoma as the final boss. :o

13 hours ago, Arcesius said:

@Together_Comic I see you're playing Thumper... I really liked that one, it's so immersive, especially in VR! Hope you are enjoying it as much as I did 1f642.png

Thumper is absolute gasoline, I am enjoying it immensely.  I will say that its hard to play for long periods of time because all of the lights and explosions (for want of a better word) hurt my eyes, but the game itself is a lot of fun. 

On 1/3/2020 at 0:05 PM, RuneEyesDragon said:

Wait, the ghosts in DQB2 weren't tough enough for you?

Nah. Every enemy in the game only has like two attacks, and most of them can be avoided by just attacking 3-4 times and then running in a wide circle. With the ghosts, you just have to keep running until they reappear. Once you get in a rhythm, you can only die from being sloppy, greedy, or outnumbered.

Anyway, DQB2 is ready to platinum. I've been letting the game run idle for the past few days to collect crops and gratitude points. Some of the late game trophies are annoying, but it does seem like you're better off waiting until you have access to all of the materials to begin working on them. They could have made the trophies much worse by requiring 100% completion.

That Bills/Texans game was ridiculous. I actually found myself wanting the Bills to win, but Watson is really good. Both teams should be kicking themselves over missed opportunities and stupid decisions. That kind of game won't fly against KC or Baltimore.

Titans/Patriots is turning out to be really close too. I just hope the Vikings don't end up having the worst game of the weekend. It seems to be the biggest mismatch, and I hate that they're not going to air it on my TV. Some kind of contract dispute. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Happy 2020 to you guys. Like I said, this year is all about playing good games. I'd like to finish up my PS3 library (all the older God of War games, maybe Demon's Souls), tackle some bigger PS4 titles (Persona 5, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Spider-Man), and get ready for the PS5. I doubt I'll start buying games for it immediately, but I want to stay on top of new releases for the first time in my life. I always feel like I'm getting to new titles a few years after they become relevant.

250 plats might be a reasonable goal this year. 10k trophies should happen. If the PS5 launches around Thanksgiving, maybe we'll try to have both of those wrapped up by that time.

As for my next game... I don't know. I downloaded KCD. I could go back to Hollow Knight. The Shovel Knight DLC is a possibility, but I'm not really feeling it. Child of Light would at least let me finish one community event, but I don't know where it fits in the other.

This is probably the most controversial thing I'll say all year, but I loved the new Star Wars movie and I'm going to go see it again next week.

• Like 1