Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

You've got a nice list of plats. Congrats! Especially on that Darkest Dungeon plat. The game is insanely difficult. 

I am with you in this tho. I have only so many games to finish yet I just bought two more from the recent sale. 

On topic: 

I think you should play these:

Transistor

The Witcher 3 

Stardew Valley

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

Get Even

These are all great games imho. I had so much fun playing them (some are yet to be platted tho).

Good luck, hope you get well soon ;)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RockyJokerPL said:

You've got a nice list of plats. Congrats! Especially on that Darkest Dungeon plat. The game is insanely difficult. 

I am with you in this tho. I have only so many games to finish yet I just bought two more from the recent sale. 

On topic: 

I think you should play these:

Transistor

The Witcher 3 

Stardew Valley

Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice

Get Even

These are all great games imho. I had so much fun playing them (some are yet to be platted tho).

Good luck, hope you get well soon ;)

Thank you! Darkest Dungeon was easily the hardest game I've ever played. Fortunately, I love strategy RPGs, so I didn't mind the frustration too much. I'll take a fun/hard game over a boring/easy game any day.

For the games you mentioned, I definitely want to play Transistor (I loved Bastion) and The Witcher 3 (I just know it's going to be a huge time sink, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that kind of commitment yet). Stardew Valley is my favorite game on PC, so I'll certainly get around to playing that on the PS4. I'll need to look into the other two, as I've never heard of them before.

• Like 1

Get Even and Hellblade are story driven. The story is also sometimes hard to understand thus requiring multiple playthroughs to acknowledge it fully. But they are really fun to play through especially without any guides. 

EDIT: And if you like strategy RPGs then check out Divinity Original Sin or Wasteland Director's Cut on PS4. They may be just right up your alley. 

Edited by RockyJokerPL
  • Like 2

Thanks, guys! After a good three hours of sleep, I'm ready to continue this thing. I figure what I'll do is use this topic as a sort of trophy diary, and you can join me on my never-ending quest down the rabbit hole. My head is a very, very strange place to be.

We'll begin with a little discussion about the games that currently torment me. These will all be for the PS4, as it's the only console I own. Besides my 3DS.

Undertale

I've been aware of this game for a while (okay, we're on the internet, so who hasn't?), but it wasn't until I saw it on the PSN store yesterday that I finally caved. I was searching for a game with a solid platinum for my 75th platinum milestone, and Don't You Have Anything Better To Do? is everything I ever could have asked for. I just had my date with Papyrus a few hours ago and I look forward to finishing the game tonight. Let's see if it lives up to the "best game of all-time" hype!

Minecraft

I'm against a lot of video game developer practices today, but even I can't bring myself to hate on the Minecraft devs for adding new trophies all the time. The content is great and this is one of my favorite open sandbox/simulation games ever (though I would give the slight edge to Terraria, The Sims 3, and the when-will-you-make-a-PS4-game-for-me Harvest Moon series). Still, I can't be arsed to deal with new trophies, so I'll be looking to boost the remaining three. The real question is whether I'll do that before the next expansion pack is released. Outlook: not so good.

Batman: Arkham Knight

OK, full disclosure: I knew what this game was before going into it. I played Arkham Asylum and Arkham City a few years ago (but not Origins), but I didn't want to bother with the AR challenges. Well, that sure worked out in my favor, didn't it? Yes, it's unlikely that I'll ever be able to complete The Chill in the Air, The Curtain Falls, or Requiem for a Killer, which makes them perfect for my carrot patch. Between the three of them, the one I feel most confident in my ability to obtain is RfaK, as I only need lightning to strike once. I was able to get nearly 300k points in my last attempt, so that's like a quarter of the way there. Too bad I'm too much of a spaz to keep my streak going. Let's see if I can platinum this game by Halloween. Or on Halloween. I like the sound of that. Brutality 101, I'm coming for you!

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2

I actually regret adding this game to my list, but not because I have anything against the PvZ series. My sister and I love playing it. It's because it has everything I despise in trophy hunting: long grinds (5000 kills on both sides, promoting a character five times), time-limited events (epic quests, community challenges, rainbow stars), multiplayer, luck-based acquisitions (keys), collectibles, and a Boss Hunt that is a long, time-limited, multiplayer battle that just happens to be extremely difficult to boot. Let's see if I have better luck with the Spooky Squash boss at the end of the month.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

Well, supposedly they're releasing a new story mode, as they ruined my 100% a while back. I'm just not sure when that's going to happen. Maybe they should change the name to Shantae: Half-Century Hero.

This War of Mine: The Little Ones

After two unsuccessful starts, I was able to get my happy little family through a 40-day war and earned most of the trophies along the way. It shouldn't be hard to finish, but there's no way I'm having Epilogue: This War of Mine: The Little Ones as my 75th platinum. You know how I feel about the overuse of colons in titles. They're like cancer. Colon cancer.

As for future games, I'm looking forward to Everybody's Golf and Life is Strange: Before the Storm (ugh, more colons). which release later this month. There's also Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, but I'm not playing that out of principle. And no, not because of the colon. Because of the pay-to-win mentality that has plagued Uncharted 4's multiplayer since the start of this year. Great series, terrible business practice. There's a big difference between supporting a game with new content and milking it for profits, and these boys have their hands firmly grasped around some poor cow's udder. It's time to look elsewhere.

• Like 2

I'm starting to feel better. Playing good games helps. I obtained the platinum for Undertale last night, even though I have at least one more boss to beat. That's good, because my eyes were really starting to hurt from that battle screen, so I'll finish it off over the weekend. I'll also probably look to finish off TWoM:TLO (ugh, that acronym) today, now that I have my next milestone out of the way. And what a milestone it turned out to be...

Platinum #75 - Undertale

1Lb8278e.png

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

Managed to wrap up TWoM:TLO today. I hate trophies that require the player to fail. Especially when that involves breaking a child's spirit, letting one of my characters nearly bleed out, and allowing another to get terminally ill. Fortunately, I was able to save them all from those horrible fates, but they never should have reached that point in the first place. And hey, I'm no longer terminally ill either!

Platinum #76 - This War of Mine: The Little Ones

1L48c544.png

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Avalynch said:

Nice list!

Hey Ava! Welcome to the patch.

Well, now that we're down to four games (and I'm limited on what I can do in each of them), I suppose it's time to start thinking about the next game to play. The Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin were both suggested and have been on my watch list for a while, but I worry about the time commitment. I only recently finished Skyrim, and that took the better part of the summer. For now, we're mostly biding time until the XCOM 2 expansion is released. With a couple more interesting games releasing at the end of this month, we might just play one of those "free" monthly PS+ backlog games... Those are never very long.

22 minutes ago, RockyJokerPL said:

Congrats! Good to hear you got better. 

Short PS+ games? Stories The Path of Destinies is relatively short. Yoi can also try Downwell if you're up to the challenge ;)

Interesting ideas. I looked at Downwell the other day, but quickly threw that in my "probably never going to happen because it looks too hard for my slow reflexes" pile, along with 10 Second Ninja X and Super Meat Boy. Stories: The Path of Destinies...ugh, that title makes me cringe...is something I downloaded a while back and I was considering. I like games that are somewhat of a grind, but that you can do other things while you're playing, like watch a movie.

Well, hey. That's a better idea than anything I have. Ladies and gents, we have our next game!

• Like 1

Well, that was crazy. I played the game for a few hours and already have most of the trophies. From what I've heard, I need to play through the game like 25 times for the true ending, so 22 more to go. It's kinda like a strange mix between Dust: An Elysian Tail and The Nonary Games, which isn't a bad thing. Assuming I don't go blind looking at the eclipse, we'll continue this adventure tomorrow!

Side note: I just noticed I have access to Shantae: Risky's Revenge on the PS store. I don't remember ever purchasing that, so either it came as a bonus download when I bought Pirate's Curse/Half-Genie Hero, or I need to start paying better attention to what I'm using my credit card for. Oh, well. Can't complain about more Shantae.

Edited by Cassylvania

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, that was crazy. I played the game for a few hours and already have most of the trophies. From what I've heard, I need to play through the game like 25 times for the true ending, so 22 more to go. It's kinda like a strange mix between Dust: An Elysian Tail and The Nonary Games, which isn't a bad thing. Assuming I don't go blind looking at the eclipse, we'll continue this adventure tomorrow!

Well, if you want to I made a guide for this game on psnprofiles. Don't hesitate to use it. I prepared a table of all the endings and how to achieve them. Good luck! 

Spoiler

...I really need to stop advertising myself everywhere...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RockyJokerPL said:

Well, if you want to I made a guide for this game on psnprofiles. Don't hesitate to use it. I prepared a table of all the endings and how to achieve them. Good luck! 

Reveal hidden contents

...I really need to stop advertising myself everywhere...

Shameless, shameless plug-in! Of course I'll be using it. ?

Well, today is the day of the solar eclipse. Remember to wear your protective eyewear. And if you do burn out your retinas, I hear carrots are good for your eyes. I just happen to have a field full of them here...for a price.

/shameless

You guys are great.

I managed to knock out three more storylines today. At this point, I'm totally confused about the choices I've already made, so I'll be using that flowchart you made, Rocky. Thanks for that. Also, I must've gotten pretty lucky with my choices, as my first four playthroughs unlocked all four truths. I think I know how to unlock the true ending now, but I'll try to save that for last.

Of note: The Lost Legacy releases tomorrow. I'll be avoiding the game, but I'm interested in the reception. I'm also really glad Naughty Dog didn't add more trophies to UC4 with the most recent update, as the last ones were horrendous.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mesopithecus said:

You have a pretty impressive trophy list :)  I like the diary concept you're using here too

Also, you can't have a carrot patch without a few cute bunnies 

dHxRp.png

Thank you! I'm okay with filling this entire topic with pictures of bunnies eating carrots.

Also, I like your Bianca avatar. She was by far my favorite character in DQH:TWTWatBB (blech, that acronym).

• Like 1

So, I decided to join the Fall 2017 Backlog Challenge (check it: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/51063-fall-2017-backlog-challenge/), but I was saddened to hear that none of my current games meet the minimum requirements for entry. In order to be eligible, the completion has to be below 20%. Obviously, that's not going to happen with games like Stories raining trophies down on me before the challenge even begins (September 1), so we'll just need to compile a list of new games. But that's not enough for me. No, I want to achieve the impossible! That's right -- 100% completion by the end of the year. Now, I know that goes against the core philosophy of the carrot patch, but nobody ever won anything without breaking a few rules. In fact, I broke several just getting out of bed today.

Now, we're allowed 15 games for this event. Because it's fall, though, and Halloween is my favorite time of year, we're only going to choose 13 games, and we're going to call this list: "Cassylvania's 13 SpoOoOoOoky Games of October (plus September and November)". So, are there any suggestions out there for what I should play over the next three months? I know a few of you have already given suggestions, but let's try to stick to the spooky theme, in honor of that amazing title. Last year, I played Grim Fandango, The Walking Dead, and Until Dawn. All of those were good October games. I'm not a big fan of jump scares or gore, but I like games that keep me on the edge or have an unsettling atmosphere, like Alien: Isolation, which I also played last year.

If anybody has any ideas, let me know! We have about a week to create this list.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AydenBonnette said:

If your up for a challenge and a good October game, I would try Outlast. 1f643.png

Looks pretty scary. I could get Outlast Trinity, which has Outlast, the Whistleblower DLC, and Outlast 2. That MIGHT be a little too much, even for me, but it's certainly worth considering.

I think for sure we'll do The Walking Dead: Season Two and The Escapists: The Walking Dead, as I already own those. I also own Resident Evil, but I've never played any of the games in that series. Is it good to start with that one, or is there a newer one that might be better?

11 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Looks pretty scary. I could get Outlast Trinity, which has Outlast, the Whistleblower DLC, and Outlast 2. That MIGHT be a little too much, even for me, but it's certainly worth considering.

II also own Resident Evil, but I've never played any of the games in that series. Is it good to start with that one, or is there a newer one that might be better?

I couldn't do Outlast, there's an intensity to first person horror that you don't find anywhere else. I realised this while playing through Alien Isolation, which I recommend if you haven't tried it.

Resident Evil is a terrific game and is the best place to start, but if you like a bit more action Resident Evil 4 may be worth a look. 

• Like 2