Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

Hey @RockyJokerPL! Thanks for chiming in. I probably won't have time to cover everything you guys discussed, but I'll try to add my thoughts in between strokes of playing today's EG opponent: JASON.

So, I don't really know if I'm considered to be a millennial. I guess it depends on where you make the cutoff. I've heard anybody born after 1984, but I don't know if I'd agree. I'd probably put it closer to 1990. The reason is that, for someone born in 1986, I spent my entire childhood in the 90s. By the time the internet really became a thing (say, in 2001), I was already a teenager. When I look back on my life, I have a day -- an actual physical day -- that I consider the point at which I went from being a child to an adult. That day was September 11, 2001. At least for us Americans, we all remember where we were that day, but consider my situation. Up until that point, I had been homeschooled my whole life. I wasn't used to being around people my age, and I had only been going to school for a week or two when the planes hit the World Trade Center. I remember that whole semester pretty vividly because it was like walking on a cloud. Everything was surreal. By the time I turned 16, I had changed. I can distinctly recall doing things at 16 that I never would have considered a year before that. One of the biggest things was that I started standing up to my father. I became very hostile and rebellious, and that didn't really go away until my sophomore year of college. But that's a whole other story. The point is that I don't really consider myself to be a millennial because I grew up in a time that was exclusively the 90s, where technology wasn't the internet and kids played outside.

(Shit, I forgot to back up my data...Oh, well. One down.)

I'm not sure I'd want to be a kid today. I work with them a lot because I teach science, but it's definitely a different world than the one I grew up in.

(LOL. He hit a ball out of the bunker facing the wrong way and it went right into a rock. Out of bounds, fool!)

But I don't know how much of that is a change in technology and society, or just a different environment.

(I still lost the hole.)

What? Why does my graphics card need to update? I didn't even know that was a thing.

(One putted that hole. Only one down!)

Um, why does my graphics card want me to log in using Google? Why is that even an option?

(RISING SHOT, BABY! Jason got a lucky putt, though... Still one down.)

What was I even saying? See, this is my problem. Short attention span. Gotta focus. This is why I like hunting for trophies. I get to play games that I enjoy, but I have a goal in mind that helps me to concentrate my efforts.

(It's STUPID to have a penalty assessed for hitting in the rough. That's like slamming your hand in the car door and then having someone back off your foot. You're already in pain, and they just made it worse!)

OK, Jason is pissing me off now. This jerk is one up on me, and there are only two holes left to play.

You know, you also get penalized for hitting a tree. Personally, I think you should GAIN a point for that, because I don't think I've ever hit a tree in this game (LOL, have fun in that bunker, Jason) unless it was standing right in front of me. I would be IMPRESSED if I could hit a damn tree. I'm playing on a desert course, so I don't even see any, except way out in the distance.

13 foot putt to win the hole. Can I make it?

SUNK! Tie game.

OK, short putt on this next hole. I hope Jason hits a rock again. But no. Even closer to the hole than me. I pull off the putt and he....does the same. Guess we're going into the last hole tied.

I wonder if I could back up my data now... Would it work in the middle of a match? I don't think so. There's no "suspend game" option...

LOL, Jason finds the rocks again! Not out of bounds, but still hilarious. I have a clear path to the green. 16 feet away! Let's see what Jason does. He steps up to bat... He winds up.... Ooooh, right into the semi-rough! That's rough, boy. One stroke penalty! LOL, and he missed the 80 foot putt. Like, by a mile. I got this as long as I don't three putt. Here... we...

s1GtAAV.jpg

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

Well, that was one of my weirdest posts. Anyway, I like the conversations going on here, guys. I also like that Rocky mentioned Miracle of Sound, who I absolutely adore. Definitely someone to check out if you haven't already. I kinda feel a lot of people here would already know Gavin, since he does video game-themed music, but worth a shout-out when we're discussing little guys who are making big waves. Very cool stuff.

I don't think I have much more to say on the topic, since we've been jumping around a lot and I'm not sure what I haven't touched base on, but I do want to say a little bit about politics, since @Spaz brought it up. (Oh, boy...)

I'll start out with the usual disclaimer. I respect everybody's beliefs, I won't judge you based on your political preferences, and I would have no clue how to run a country, but HOLY SHIT, our current president is a moron. I say this as someone who grew up in a very Republican household. I would probably identify myself as a moderate, but my blood runs more red than blue. Even so, this has been an extremely frustrating year, as I'm trying desperately to keep my job in what would be classified as an environmental-related field. I've been trying to find other work, but this really isn't the time to get into a green energy field. Just a warning for those of you about to head off to college. Might I recommend business school?

As for Obama... In my opinion, he'll go down as one of the greats. Trump is, and will probably always be, a meme. I don't know if the two will always be compared, as they are now, but there's no denying that Obama saved our economy. I think, even if it continues to improve under Trump for the next two or three or, God help us, seven years, historians will still credit Obama for the recovery. It probably helps that writers and scholars tend to be liberals. It also doesn't hurt that Obama was followed up by someone that is so universally disliked. At this point, pending a major world catastrophe, I don't really see anybody's opinion of Trump changing. His supporters will continue to support, his critics will continue to criticize, and his approval rating should hover around 35-40% for the rest of his tenure. If anything, I can only see them dropping, but who knows? I've been wrong before.

I know your question was about Obama, but I had to get that off my chest.

But yeah, I mean, I think there have been some revolutionary things that have come out in the past 10 years. I don't know if I could really name any. Maybe smart phones. But that goes back to that big tech explosion around 2005-07, when I was just starting college. Maybe the PS4? Though it's really just the PS3 with better graphics. Netflix? Social media? Oh, I know. ONLINE DELIVERY. My GOD. Being able to order a pizza from an app on my phone... THAT is what I will remember 20-30 years from now. That got me through those college years.

• Like 2

Wow...I take a couple days off from looking at the website and I stumble into a very interesting discussion. Way too much to catch up on, but I'll throw my 2 cents in...I'll start by saying I'm 36, my first gaming system was the Intellivision II and my first computer was the Apple IIe where I used to play Load Runner with my dad until we wore the floppy disc it was on out. While I am old enough to remember a lot of the 80's, I consider myself a child of the 90's and I honestly feel like it was the best decade to grow up in. I'm going to be an old man yelling at a cloud for a couple paragraphs...so bear with me!

Music had transformed from 80's hairbands to something darker and more interesting. While my favorite band of all time is still pre-Load Metallica...I love Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, STP and pretty much any alternative-ish style music from then. While those are my favorite bands...pretty much I like anything I can sing along to in the car. My iPod ranges from Celine Dion and Michael Bolton to Rammstein and Megadeth to DMX and Lady Gaga. Only thing I can't really get into is country music.

We had the internet, but it was fledgling and going outside to play was still a thing. When I was in 6th grade I used to ride my bike across town to my friends house to play two hand touch football and then go inside for some Super Mario Kart on the Super Nintendo. I feel like nowadays the kids would end up in DCF and the parents in jail for negligence if they let their kids do that. Napster was a thing and I learned about so many different bands. I really was upset that Metallica was the force behind Napster's demise.

Social media has made the world get much smaller. When I was growing up, you may hear a few national stories each night, but things were more local. Not everyone had a cell phone so you used to have to talk to people. I'm positive that the downfall for social skills today is because most peoples interactions these days happen behind a screen. I'm sure the world was just as crazy back then, we just didn't hear about every damn thing that happened so there was some insulation and we weren't afraid to go outside. We have become terrified of everything because all we are bombarded with every day is all the horrible in the world. This fear is why we have a reality star as President now who spends more time on Twitter than actually doing his job. For the most part I try to tune out the news so I don't have to sleep in the fetal position each night.

Of course, I'm a hypocrite with all of this. I use social media and love the fact that I can deposit a check into my bank account from my mobile phone or order subway on my phone and just walk in and pick it up. I like social media because it allows me to keep in touch with people I would normally not be able to, but I HATE the amount of misinformation that is spread as fact. It scares me how people will read a headline and share it. Nobody has any idea what is true anymore due to all the misinformation being spread. My wife is constantly telling me the people I need to remove from my friend list for the amount of insane stuff they post, but I refuse because I like to know where the crazy is.

I miss AIM for that reason. You used to be able to keep in touch with people and give little bits of news on your away message, but you didn't have people posting their stream of consciousness onto Facebook and Twitter. I have a 3 year old and a 5 month old at home, and half the time I day dream about moving into the woods of Maine to protect my family from the amount of crazy that shows up on my feed everyday. But that's not productive, wouldn't solve anything and they'd end up being unprepared for the world...but I do dream.

For TV Shows...I can't lie...I get sucked into the 'it was better in my day' crowd with this. Shows like Scooby-Doo and Inspector Gadget were awesome as a kid. I used to come home from school everyday to watch the Disney afternoon with Duck Tales, Talespin, Chip N' Dales Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck. My first crush was Sam Malone from 'Who's the Boss?' When I got a little older, I was a huge Saved By the Bell guy. Shows like Seinfeld and the Simpsons were awesome and original. I was too young to really get into drama's but I'll agree with someone in an earlier post that said we are in a good age for Drama's. I can watch any of the Law & Orders and other similar crime drama's. I loved Breaking Bad and Dexter (did not really like the Soprano's though) and also love shows like The Office and Parks and Recreation. I despise reality TV shows...I hate that we film people that are showing humans at their WORST and glorify them as stars. I should probably cancel my cable too. I only watch sports for the most part (like this pretty bad game on right now) and basically watch everything else on Prime. I've never really watched anything on Youtube as far as episodes from people. I tend to watch music videos if I'm on there or card tricks or something if I'm really bored. Occasionally, I'll watch someone else video for strategy on a game if I'm having trouble in a particular spot...but I'd rather play the game than watch someone else play in general.

There were a lot of other topics like magic, Millennials, personal issues growing up, 9/11, the kitchen sink and some stuff about video games...and I have to say I have been very impressed with the back and forth. There have been no trolls or any disrespect, and having grown up on chat rooms and forums...that's an impressive feat in itself. Keep it going because when I was a kid, gaming was for nerds and it wasn't really something you shared in school with your friends. I'm always fascinated to hear others experiences growing up and how gaming became an outlet for them.

• Like 2

Hey, @Br1ste! Thanks for chiming in. I enjoyed reading your post. It's interesting to me that we have so many people here around the same age who have familiar feelings towards things. I mean, I guess it's not all that surprising, since this is a website dedicated to a certain kind of people...but it's still nice to see. I'm glad I haven't totally offended everybody with my rather open feelings in the last few posts. Let's see what I want to comment on...

Well, first, you're actually watching this garbage game? I'm only doing it because I made the huge mistake of drafting Dak in my money league. Should've just dropped him for Keenum. Not like I'm making the playoffs anyway. Hashtag Odell Blues. Yes, I realize I don't have to spell that out. Yes, I realize this isn't Twitter. Yes, I realize I'm crazy.

Second...well, you already know my opinion on society and kids today. I don't have any kids...maybe I will someday, once I get my life in order...but I definitely have an idea of how I want to raise them. It helps that I have a little sister who I've kinda been caring for most of my life. She came to live with me when I moved away from my father, so I've got to experience the younger generation through her eyes. But you're my brother's age, so I get to see the 80s through his eyes. He's really into those hair bands... My first concern was Poison, actually. But I like all the bands you talked about there. I don't know if I have a favorite genre... Maybe symphonic metal? Nightwish, Epica, that kind of stuff... But I listen to show tunes, folk music, and country too. I guess I just like everything.

Lastly, you named some of my faaavorite cartoons, which I'm really passionate about. I mentioned yesterday, I think, about being a little blinded by nostalgia when it comes to older shows... Like, I remember some shows being really great when I was kid, but I've since gone back and watched them again, and they really haven't held up well. Rescue Rangers is like that, I think. There's something very...off about that show, when I watched an episode or two within the past year. Maybe it's because it was an earlier episode and the show hadn't reached its stride yet, but it's really interesting how few episodes there were of cartoons back then. I guess that's because we didn't have instant access to shows, so a cartoon with only two seasons seemed to take up our whole childhood because it was stretched over several years... I don't know. But Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck have aged well, I think. I haven't watched an episode of Talespin in forever, but I have watched the intro recently. It's so amazing to me what they were able to get away back then. Like, there's a scene where the main characters are being shot at. Like, with real bullets. That would NEVER fly today. But a lot of those shows were like that. That's partially why I few a lot of cartoons today are stupid... They can't have action anymore, and they can't have REAL slapstick comedy (like the original Tom and Jerry episodes), so it's mostly just the main characters standing around and blowing fart bubbles with their mouths. Yes, fart bubbles.

That said, that's why I really like Adventure Time. It's a show that found a way to blend action and comedy, in a way that doesn't offend anyone (because we can't have that), but still tell a great story and have memorable characters. Some people have criticized the show's art style, but I think it's perfect for what the show is trying to do. There's a very 90s feel to the show, which I think is why a lot of kids our age like it. Of course, my FAVORITE cartoon...which isn't really a cartoon, but more of an animated series...is King of the Hill. With the exception of Breaking Bad (which you mentioned and I someday want to have a big discussion here about), I consider that the best show ever on TV. Everything about it was perfect. The characters, the writing, the humor. You could argue that it had no reason to be animated, but I really think that helped. It was a show that touched on just about everything, and yet managed to offend no one, and that deserves applause. Plus, I don't think there was even a slight drop in quality during the entire thirteen season run. While I like The Simpsons and South Park, I don't think I could say the same for them.

I think the last thing I want to mention -- and this is something one of my girl friends asked me the other day -- is that I know a lot of kids today like to watch other people play video games on YouTube, Twitch, and the like. To her, she didn't understand why her daughter enjoyed doing that. As someone who games, though, I kinda get it. You said you'd rather play games than watch someone else do it, which I understand, but there is something cathartic about watching other people. I get that way with artwork. I love to draw, but I almost love watching people draw more. I guess maybe that's the Bob Ross lover in me, but I really enjoy watching really gifted people show off their talents. Especially when it's an art form I can't imitate, like sculpting. I could honestly sit here for the next six hours and just watch someone carve something out of glass. I don't think I'd ever get bored of that.

But even people who aren't great at what they do, sometimes it's just nice to hear someone talk about what they're passionate about. That might be why I like James and Mike Mondays. By their own admission, they're not great at video games -- well, Mike seems to be -- but they're extremely passionate, and that makes me happy. I'm tired of cynicism. I want people to express themselves and flourish, not hide from the world. And I guess saying that really brings us full circle, so I can't think of much else to say.

• Like 1

Dang, I forgot to buy that hair accessory from the shop... And I have like 20k gold, which is way more than I needed! Oh, well. Maybe there will be some goodies in there for December.

And speaking of December, I guess it's time to think about some end of the year goals. I know I said earlier that I wanted 100% trophy completion, but that's realistically not going to happen. Not with me starting Dorky Dogma, this golf game, and Horzidawn. And certainly not with Batsman taunting me with his DLC nonsense. And Darkest Dungeon... Don't even get me started on Darkest D!

Point is: 100% in 30 days is impossible. But 100 plats? That might be doable. I doubt I'd be able to reel in any of the lengthy RPGs, but EG and RER (ugh) might work. And I have...29 games in my backlog folder. They're mostly those free PSN games, like Spy Chameleon. If I could find a couple short ones, maybe...

Hm, but we still don't have a game in mind for P100. I'm tempted to not even care since my milestones are RUINED anyway (#CustomMilestones), but I still feel #100 should be special. If I had known I'd do that Halloween event, I might've saved Undertale for that. Never expected to get to 100 platinums this quickly. RER has a good image and trophy name, but there's no way I want THAT game staring me in the face every time I log onto my profile. EG and Dorky Dogma have okay ones, but not #100 worthy... Horzidawn's is about as generic as can be. Good job on that, developers.

The Evil Within's is almost too evil, NieR's is boring, and...well, that's my entire PS4 library. Let's just scroll through my backlog folder and pick out some random games... Hell, maybe some of you can recommend these games. All I really do each month is download all the free games and put the ones that look halfway decent in a single folder. Which reminds me. I should see what tidings December's line-up brings. But it's probably trash.

• I Am Setsuna. I bought that during the Black Friday flash sale. Pretty cool image. Not sure about the name.
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst. Yeah, let me someday tell you my story about the ORIGINAL ME. Either way, cool name, not so cool image.
  • Titan Souls. Horrendous.
  • Lovers in a...yeah, we're not having that game title on my milestones.
  • The new South Park game? Not sure I want a "But Whole" staring back at me either.
  • I have some game called The Swindle and another Invisible Inc., which both look like things I'd enjoy, but they also look very long and RNG-based. Plus the first doesn't even have a platinum.
  • Trine 2? Horrendous. And I heard it's hard.
  • Tearaway Unfolded. Game looks cute. Plat looks poop.
  • Nom Nom Galaxy. See above.
  • Stardew Valley. Aw, I'd love this one. But no way I'm rushing this game, IF I even decide to play it on the PS4.
  • Lords of the Fallen. No.
  • Littlebigplanet 3. No.
  • Dark Cloud. Wait, how do I have this? I have the sequel too.
  • Everybody's Gone to Rapture. What up with the trophy image?
  • Don't Starve Together. THIS would be awesome, but it's in the same boat as Stardew. Love the game on PC, but not sure I want to play it on the PS4.
  • Broken Age. "3.3"? How is that even a trophy name? Maybe if it was plat #33... That would've been clever. Somebody should do that. (My plat 33 was Uncharted 3, which I thought was clever. Because that's my definition of clever.)
  • Gauntlet. Now THAT...is a Castlevania-looking platinum. An ugly ass goblin wearing a Hugh Hefner robe. Doesn't get better than that.
  • 10 Second Ninj...who put this garbage on my list? Delete!

And that's apparently my entire backlog. Not a single worthy platinum. It's a shame too. I wish I had saved XCOM 2 or Shantae or Tales from the Borderlands. That one had a sweet platinum. But apparently 79 isn't GOOD enough to be a milestone. I don't know why. It's the atomic number of gold. It's also a sexy prime. What is a sexy prime, you ask? No, it's not a phrase I made up! It means a prime number that is six away from another prime number (in this case, 73). And my plat 73 is also a great one: Rime. That means Rime and Tales from the Borderlands totally have the hots for each other. Aren't numbers great?

Well, I'm out of ideas. Who's got some cool ideas for the biggest milestone this side of 10k?

EG opponent #3: AD--huh!? Toraji? I logged in, saw Adam standing in the VS spot, and finally remembered to back up my data. I did so, logged back into the game, and now Adam has been replaced with some self-proclaimed "delinquent" named Toraji. Well, ain't this an unfortunate series of events.

It...looks like this is a revenge match, but I've never seen this punk before. I'm pretty sure I'd remember that awful mullet. This guy must think he's from the 80s or something.

So, anyway, while I beat Joe Dirt in a match, I guess I'll mention that my sister and I started playing Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime. There aren't nearly enough co-op games on the PS4 (though I'd highly recommend the Skylanders series, for those of you who still like playing games with your friends locally...and don't mind paying obscene amounts of money for tiny plastic figurines). It's supposedly an easy/short platinum, so that will help me towards my goal of reaching plat 100 by the end of the year. If that's even a thing I want to do.

Up by one on MacGyver after the first hole.

Yeah, making those bold helps. I'll figure out easier ways of entertaining you guys I go. Anyway, Lovers in a Dang...no, I'm not spelling that out every time...LiaDS looks like a decent game. No difficulty-based trophies, so we can just play on the easiest setting. Which is good, because I'm tired of putting forth effort on things in my life.

Even after two. And three.

I figure if I can get at least four plats before Christmas, I'll go for the big 1-0-0 by the end of the year. Otherwise, we'll just snag it in January. Or, if I'm really slow, maybe just wait until my birthday in February. No reason to rush anything.

LOL. Have fun in the sand, Billy Ray Cyrus. Up by one.

The only video game I'm putting on my Christmas list this year is Nioh. It looks really fun. And hard. But sometimes I have trouble separating the two.

Andre Agassi just double bogied (sp?) hole five. I didn't. Up by two.

Also, if any of you want to play Demon's Souls and haven't yet, you might want to get on that. I hear the servers are shutting down in February. Now, I should point out that you don't NEED to play online to get all of the trophies, but it does make farming quite a bit easier. Especially for the pure bladestone. Also, just like the other Souls games, you're missing out on some of the best aspects of the game by playing offline. Especially for one of the bosses. But I'm not going to spoil anything.

Call game after six. Good try, 1980's Chuck Norris.

YVkxgxH.jpg

Just in time too. I don't think I could name anybody else who could pull off a mullet.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Lot of reading to be had here. I feel quite proud of myself that I ignited this whole conversation involving our childhoods and how we perceive the world as it is today.

@Cassylvania I honestly don't really consider people like myself to have really lived and seen a portion of the 1990s. No offense.

Little kids have clouded judgement and can't think for themselves too well. Their brains haven't developed well enough to the point where they can recount a lot of events that have happened over the past couple years.

People born in 1976 - 1982ish were the ones who were able to really see the 1990s. Me personally being much younger than that wasn't able to see much of 1990 - 1992. Yes, I lived it, and I'm definitely a 90s kid at heart. But I spent those years playing with toys, going to preschool, singing along to children songs on Barney & Friends and Sesame Street. I never got to see Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit music video air on MTV. I never heard a song by Tupac Shakur play on the radio in the early - mid 1990s. I couldn't watch movies like Waynes World until I was older and I most certainly couldn't watch Beavis & Butthead until much later in life. I would of really loved to have seen all of that back in the day.

Those of you out there who were old enough to watch those, or at least remember them, that's great.

The internet took off in 1996, but it was mostly regulated to text based websites with maybe a couple pictures here and there while using a dial-up internet connection. The internet you speak of is the Myspace and the Napster. Those came later. And yes, my 36 year old sister was addicted to Napster.

I was never home schooled. I always attended a public school with your average set of kids. Nobody was happy on 9/11. People like to compare that to Pearl Harbor, but that brought us into a catastrophic war. After 9/11 we just had George W. Bush declare war on terrorism and we invaded Iraq, eventually catching up to Saddam Hussein.

My family is Democrat, but in recent years we have strayed far away from the true left and we consider ourselves moreso to the middle. Still blue, still Democrat, but more towards the middle where it's not as extreme.

We have had a number of arguments with a good amount of Republicans. Without going too far into this, I see religion being a big deal for a lot of them. I think you should believe in what you believe in without forcing anybody to accept your religion. Some Republicans don't seem to understand that. There is a lot more, but I don't want to piss off too many people on this website.

I'm not going to say anything about Trump. More than enough has been said about him already.

I don't call any of those revolutionary to be honest. I had a flip phone from 2002 to early 2007. I got the first generation of iPhone not long after that. Today's newest iPhone can do a whole lot more, but the only thing I can think of that is close to revolutionary is you can use your fingers to access the internet. Before I had to click the buttons near the number buttons to navigate my way around. Smartphones equal faster service.

I suppose streaming could be something, but all in all I'm not too impressed. It's definitely good to listen to your favorite streamer and be able to interact with them. I've done that and then some.

I'm talking more of things that truly change the landscape. You can argue Youtube and Wikipedia did that. Without those website I would probably never know who George Carlin was, or how Tom Hanks got his start in show business. So I guess that in a way is a little bit revolutionary.

The Playstation 4 to me so far feels like a more polished, streamlined console that plays games that the Playstation 3 was already able to put out. Sure there's Horizon Zero Dawn and The Witcher 3 that are both great games and when played in 4K quality can truly show off what good graphics are. But both of those games just mostly follow what open world games had done in the past and make them 10 times larger and better. Going by this train of thought, Assassins Creed Origins is a pretty solid game with plenty to do in it's open world. But it only works with what has been applied in the past. Assassins Creed 1 in 2007 already laid out the groundwork, Assassins Creed 2 took that groundwork and made it a lot better.

Super Mario Bros 1 on the NES is the first true 2-D platformer I can think of that was seamless. DOOM was revolutionary because it brought first person shooters to the forefront, when first person shooters weren't even a genre at all when you only had Wolfenstein 3-D and maybe a couple real obscure games. Super Mario 64 to me is perhaps the first real 3-D platformer, and that came out before Crash Bandicoot 1 came out for the Playstation 1. It was a pretty big deal back in 1996. Today popular games just take ideas that are popular and expand on them, like the Call of Duty games, rather than branch out and try to go for something truly unique.

John Carmack and John Romero of id Software put out DOOM, and nothing, and I mean nothing, played like it or looked like it before. I look at DOOM 2016, or the reboot as I like to call it, and while I enjoyed playing it on test runs, is honestly just a more polished product. It's technically a sequel or spiritual successor or what have you but that's mostly what we see these days. Whereas in the 1990s it seemed like every two years someone brought out a game that looked nothing like it before, like Super Mario 64 and DOOM as I just mentioned. It's been a very long time since I've seen a game achieve something like that. I don't know, maybe I'm just older or maybe everything is starting to blend in with one another.

• Like 3

@Br1ste It seems you share a lot of things with James Rolfe, aka The Angry Video Game Nerd (The Angry Nintendo Nerd for those who have followed him long enough to remember). Grew up in New Jersey in the 1980s and 1990s, went to college with Mike Matei, both of whom are best friends, and play video games for fun. He's also around the same age of you more or less.

I always appreciate someone a fair bit older than me to give their thoughts and advice on this sort of thing.

Well as I said to Cassy your judgement and overall memory of things just isn't that good when you're a little kid. There was the LA Riots of 1992, there was the OJ Simpson trial that happened a few years later. Why would we as kids be any concerned with that? I do remember footage of the Simpson trial, that much I have seen, but I literally knew nothing about it. At 29 years of age I am only now just started to get a little grip and understanding of how the courtroom works. So as expected I couldn't get into the drama shows.

I never hear anyone my age or those a little older talk about ER. That was a popular television show in the 1990s but it delved on subject matter that kids couldn't understand. My grandparents loved Law & Order and Matlock with Andy Griffith. I couldn't get into them, because I wasn't old enough.

Napster is more 1999 - 2000, the cut off point for the 90s. My sister is the same age as you and she absolutely loved Napster. Couldn't get enough of various alternate bands and the like. Coldplay, Soundgarden, Matchbox 20, etc etc. Then Metallica brought Napster down, and that was basically the end.

I see a lot of kids nowadays with learning disabilities, stuttering, trouble keeping eye contact and trouble focusing on work. This is a serious problem. I'm a 29 year old with autism. I had trouble keeping eye contact and I generally spoke in an awkward manner growing up. But when I look at kids today and compare them to myself 20 years ago, I sure as hell feel I didn't suffer nearly as much. 

I very much think these kids don't get much time to go outside and do physical activities, they just sit themselves in front of a television and computer. Yes, I did the same thing, and surely you may of known kids in your day do that too. But it probably wasn't as much. In the 90s me and my family had a basketball hoop in our driveway and we tried to shoot hoops, passing the ball to someone else if they didn't make the shot. I partaked in PE during elementary and middle school (technically one school since it was so small). Are kids today even doing those things?

My 63 year old dad speaks as naturally and fluently as ever. He's a very good speaker and he's good at telling stories and talking details. When I look at the younger generation, and even some people a little younger than me, I don't see this. They have trouble speaking, and I think it's very much a lack of experience and speaking in front of a class, much less to someone in person.

My parents didn't have video games, they didn't have the amount of choice with entertainment. They had old black and white televisions with a couple shows like Andy Griffith and Laugh In. Funny that all programming was shut off at a certain hour late in the night. People would go absolutely nuts over that that today.

Sorry for going on such a tangent and writing a giant wall of text to both of you.

I just feel kids don't have the experience. My parents had the experience because playing outside was really the only things they were able to do as kids. We seemed to have turned a 180 in the past 50 years, where it's the complete opposite.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2017 at 2:12 AM, Cassylvania said:

Well, I'm out of ideas. Who's got some cool ideas for the biggest milestone this side of 10k?

I was going to suggest Day of the Tentacle since it's pretty nice and aptly titled...but you already have it. I think the Dorky Dogma Plat is pretty fancy so if you could time that to be your 100th that'd be nice. I know you said it was ok, but you're awfully close to that achievement. If time is not a factor and you hold off on platting the other games on your list...I personally like the Fallout Platinum. I kind of liked the Final Fantasy Type-0 plat. It's not a terribly hard game and I had some fun with it. I also kind of like The Last of Us plat. It's simple...but that's why I like it. I kind of wish I had paid a little closer attention to mine...I have a lot of overlap of the same game for milestone trophies.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

It seems you share a lot of things with James Rolfe, aka The Angry Video Game Nerd

I guess maybe I'll have to break down and watch one or two. My PC is setup next to my PS4, so I have plenty of opportunity.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

The internet took off in 1996, but it was mostly regulated to text based websites with maybe a couple pictures here and there while using a dial-up internet connection. The internet you speak of is the Myspace and the Napster. Those came later. And yes, my 36 year old sister was addicted to Napster.

My experience is probably slightly different than most. My father used to build PC's and was a network programmer. I always had a top of the line system for the time because he used to test out the newest toys on my PC. I REALLY wish i spent more time learning about what he was doing instead of just using the PC's for gaming, because I really don't know as much as I'd like.

In his basement he had 3 or 4 computers setup and connected via an IPX network cable. We would play Warcraft, Warcraft II, Doom 2, Diablo, Civilization II and all sorts of other games there. My best friend lived down the street from my father's house so we especially liked games that 3 of us could play (including my younger brother.) I was the first kid in my school to have a CD burner and it used to take 45 minutes to burn a CD. I used to burn tons and tons of CDs for my friends and that was how I originally grew my collection. It took like an hour and a half each to burn at the time too. You had to convert .mp3 to .WAV files and then burn them. I spent a lot of time on ftp sites uploading songs to get enough of a ratio to download new songs. I also spent some time on mIRC in music sharing chat rooms to expand my collection. While Napster didn't come out until the very end of my senior year in high school, it was revolutionary and allowed me to expand my collection further.

Sadly, my senior year in college, the fan failed on my motherboard and the processor melted which scrambled my hard drive. Oddly I didn't lose the files, it just renamed them all. Instead of Metallica - Fade to Black it was file0000001.chk. All of my files were named that..all 20,000+ songs. I really wish I had kept them like that and made a game out of renaming them, but since there was still Napster and Kazaa, I figured I'd just download them all again...I should have had some more foresight to see I would have had to pay for it.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

I see a lot of kids nowadays with learning disabilities, stuttering, trouble keeping eye contact and trouble focusing on work. This is a serious problem. I'm a 29 year old with autism. I had trouble keeping eye contact and I generally spoke in an awkward manner growing up. But when I look at kids today and compare them to myself 20 years ago, I sure as hell feel I didn't suffer nearly as much. 

I think there are a lot of factors to this here. The biggest being what I mentioned above about the world being smaller and we now hear more information than we used to. Another factor is that science has vastly improved so people who were just labeled as 'odd' back in your parents and grandparents time actually have a diagnosis now. There is also sample size. I can't discount your personal experience and it might be that since you suffered from having some of these problems, you are more sensitive to it and notice it more than say I would, who fortunately did not suffer any of these issues (I had others though ;)). I do believe that living behind a screen has definitely contributed to this, since people are out of practice these days with communicating in person.

My wife is an elementary school teacher and she conducted a social experiment one day. She would stand by the door in the morning to welcome students into her room by saying 'Hello, good morning'. Many of the kids would never reply. She would continue to say that to the student until they responded. It would bother her a bit that her 1st graders would not acknowledge her when she greeted them. She then asked her class one day how many of them eat dinner at the table with their parents. Only about 4 of her 20 kids raised their hand. She asked how many ate dinner at the table without their parents. Only 2 raised their hand. She then asked how many of them eat dinner in front of the TV and 14 kids raised their hands. Granted the sample size is quite small, but she teaches in a pretty affluent school and 14 out of 20 kids don't even communicate at home. That was astonishing to me, however in all honesty I would have been one of those 14 myself as a kid.

As much as I enjoy talking about this...I think we are kind of high jacking Cassy's thread and should steer this back towards her exceptional achievements in gaming, unless of course, she doesn't mind! I haven't been able to lift a controller myself for three days due to sick kids at home and no sleep, but I'm hoping to be able to 100% Final Fantasy XV this weekend. Let us know what you decide for 100 Cassy!

• Like 2

Hey guys! No, you can totally talk about whatever you want here. The only thing I ask is that you keep it civil, which everyone has done. As for me, though, I want to get back to gaming. I've really enjoyed the discussion, though.

So, let's see... @Br1ste brought up a few ideas for plat 100. Yeah, I already have OCD. I mean, the DotT platinum. Same diff. I feel like this has been the year of the point-and-clicks for me. Can't think of too many left that I want to do. King's Quest, for sure, but I only have Episode 1. I think. I'd like to have the only thing on a physical copy. You may not know this about me, but the original KQ series was my introduction to video games! Well, I credit it as such. I'm not sure if it REALLY was. Unfortunately, no plat there to be found.

Dorky Dogma does have a pretty cool image. I just don't like the trophies. Beat the game, beat it again on Hard Mode, and then beat it a third time on Speedrun Mode. First of all, what is this, Uncharted 5: Dragon's Dogma Edition? Secondly, why would I want to speedrun an action RPG? That doesn't sound remotely fun. I will likely beat the game once, wait six months, beat it a second time on Hard Mode, wait another six months, and then we'll SEE about this so-called Speedrun Mode. Might as well call it Nofun Mode.

Fallout 4, you mean? I dunno. I'm probably one of the few people in the world who doesn't love Bethesda games. I mean, sure, I've probably put more hours into Skyrim than any other game in the past ten years (with the exception of maybe The Sims or Minecraft), but I don't think I really enjoyed it. With Skyrim, it was always like...chasing a high, you know? Like, I always felt I was waiting for the game to get really good. The potential is there, but the most fun I had with Skyrim was doing all the things I think the game didn't want me to do, like killing Nazeem and parading his body through the market square. I've heard Fallout 4 is just a more depressing version of Skyrim, so it's not too high on my list of games right now. At least, not while I still have HZD and The Witcher 3 to play.

Final Fantasy is a series I haven't gotten to yet. I considered Type 0, but people told me not to start with that one. Then they started telling me what FF game I should start with, and I completely lost interest. I think, when I last had my mind made up, I was going to wait for the FF7 remaster...which may or may not still be a thing? I have no idea. I've only ever played FFTA.

And I refuse to do TLoU. I got the plat on my old account. There's no force on this earth strong enough to get me to play through that MP campaign again, and certainly not TWICE more. BLECH! Awesome game, though.

Lovers is looking like it'll be plat 95, since we're already at the last campaign.

• Like 1

@Br1ste Bit astonished how many people aren't aware of popular Youtubers on Youtube. I may not like Pewdiepie and Markplier, but I definitely known about them since they were a lot smaller in subscriber count.

AVGN (Cinemassacre) has been on Youtube since early 2006, and he does video games that targeted people now in their mid 30s and early 40s. I'm pretty sure anyone who is into gaming has heard about him at this point.

But enough about that.

Cassy mentioned movies today a couple weeks ago so I thought about adding my two cents on subject, which I then decided to add walls of text regarding what I think of today's pop culture. Which for the most part, isn't all that great.

So I'm sorry for anyone who thought I hijacked this thread since I pretty much started it. I think after this post I'm going to take a break from talking outside the realm of gaming, since it was worn me down quite a bit.

We have to admit that today's kids were raised on Myspace, and more recently Facebook and Twitter. I definitely see this to be the case with high schoolers. Now granted everyone has seen kids in high school act awkward and whatnot, regardless of age and what generation you were born into. But I have definitely noticed a gap between when my sister was in high school back in 1995 - 1999, and freshmen kids starting the 2017 - 2018 school year. Hell, even seniors for that matter.

Me and my parents went to a lot of basketball games, band performances and extracurricular projects during the late 1990s. My sister partaken in these activities. She was a member of the high school band and she played three seasons of high school basketball. Because she had to help others, work with them and communicate with them she was good at speaking to other students and speaking to teachers.

There definitely doesn't seem to be as much as that. I can't help but feel that these kids held onto a Nintendo DS when it came out in 2005, or a Nintendo Gamecube and Playstation 2 and pretty much spent most of their entire time on those. Social media doesn't replace actual human communication. I know plenty of younger people from within my family and friends of friends with kids who really struggle with talking to a teacher, or like you said avoid or don't do discussions with their parents at a dinner table. There's definitely a lot more of grabbing your meal after a day of school and work and just locking yourself away in your bedroom to play video games or watch Netflix, or be in a room across the house from your parents or siblings and doing the same thing.

I still had to sit at the dinner table to talk with my parents when I was younger, but I feel that people my age and my generation was one of the first to start off the isolation aspect. Both my parents were required to sit and communicate at the dinner table. May be a case of times were different back then, and while there are benefits to being connected to the ever active community of Facebook and Twitter, personal communication has taken a sharp nosedive.

I don't know what happened. I just hear it all over the news and I always hear parents my sisters age be concerned with their children when it comes to talking.

@Cassylvania I personally think all Bethesda games are very overrated. I just recently bought the Fallout 4 Season Pass for half price during Black Friday week so I'll get around to it eventually. But I did try out Fallout 4 in late 2015 and I was feeling very disappointed.

I consider Fallout 1 and 2 vastly superior because they were real RPGs that took on a tactical strategy approach, sort of like Civilization. But an entirely different company made those games so that really isn't a good comparison.

The Witcher 3 is definitely a RPG, because your stats truly matter and using Witcher potions and buying better gear becomes critically important when playing on higher difficulties. Fallout 4 on the other hand has a few quirks, you can gain access to more difficult lockpicks, including electronic, there are various companions and types of Power Armor. But it definitely doesn't feel like a RPG. It's more comparable to Borderlands, that has more options than your typical Call of Duty game or a basic Wolfenstein game. Could be Bethesda fanboys praising the hell out of it, and I'm sure plenty of them did.

The Last of Us requires at least 26 - 28 hours of multiplayer to earn those two gold trophies. Someone like me who stacks a few games, that's roughly 54 - 56 hours if you do both the PS3 original and the PS4 remaster. Since you're a completionist, it seems like you hate long winded multiplayer, like you said for Uncharted 4.

Meh. I think Horizon Zero Dawn is okay. Not great. I made it my 100th platinum and I tried to make it sound good since that is a big milestone. But quite frankly, I just think it does what Tomb Raider set before and then some. Very melodramatic at times, barely any humor to the characters.

I think it's safe for you to do Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. Unless you think Naughty Dog is still going to pull a Uncharted 4 and release multiplayer DLC many months after the game's release. I'm fairly certain Naughty Dog is done with Uncharted, since they're currently occupied with developing The Last of Us 2.

Edited by Spaz

@Spaz Good to know I'm not the only one not on the Bethesda hype bus. I don't want to badmouth any of their games, because I did play the hell out of Skyrim and liked a lot of what the game had to offer, but I found it sorely lacking when compared to other action RPGs like Dark Souls, Shadow of Mordor, and, honestly, even Dragon's Dogma. Dark Souls has fluid controls and epic boss fights, SoM has that nemesis system, and Dragon's Dogma has pawns and the ability to climb monsters. Skyrim...lets you put a basket on people's heads. Sure, you can "do just about anything," but the level to which you can do it is severely limited. Like, let's say you want to cook. That's something you can do in Skyrim and not those other games. But how deep is the cooking system? You immediately begin with every recipe learned, "cooking" is done just by clicking one button once you have enough ingredients (there's not even an animation), and the food you make is utterly useless. Unless you make like a hundred of something and gobble down an unrealistic amount in the middle of a fight. Compare that to, say, Disgaea 5, where the food you make actually does something beyond giving you +1 HP.

But hey, I could go on about Skyrim for so long that it'd put the wall of text on the last two pages to shame.

Yes to what you said about my feelings towards MP trophies. I don't mind them in games like Paladins or Plants vs. Zombies, where the entire game is built around multiplayer. I bought those games because I wanted to play MP. I didn't -- and I don't know anybody who did -- pick up TLoU to grind out dozens of hours in a competitive online setting. In its defense, TLoU has a decent MP campaign (OK, it's boring and the fact that you could screw up and lose your entire progress is stupid), but I'm not putting in those hours again. 

While I continue to rant about things I hate, EG opponent #4: TAKAMORI! OK, now THIS bozo I remember. He...

cbSVCpA.jpg

Huh? That's not right... Well, anyway, the only penalty assessment this time is for hitting a tree, which I've already stated is impossible. So, no sweat there.

Where was I? Oh, right. You mentioned Lost Legacy. Well, I do think the girls of the Uncharted series are the best part, so I'm sure I'll get to it sometime. And it's no secret that I love the series. But I really don't feel like it's a top priority. I haven't even looked at the trophy list or read reviews about the game. Let's give it a year and make sure ND doesn't do something stupid.

This jerk pulled off an eagle on the first hole, so I followed it up with another on the second. Tie game.

Speaking of stupid, what up with Wolfenstein 2? I heard they have a trophy that requires beating the game on the hardest setting in a single life, which sounds ludicrous. Next to MP, those are the kind of trophies I hate the most. What's wrong with just beating the game on max difficulty? Why you gotta go and make it harder? Is nothing sacred anymore!? On the good side, it means one less action game have to worry about.

This guy is pulling more eagles out of his ass than Gandalf...

I know you're all eagerly awaiting my opinion of LiaDS, so let me just say... Do not play. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it's really boring unless you have someone else to play with. Even then, there's a horrible trophy called Token of Affection (yes, the whole game is about LOOOVE, so everything has to be sickeningly sweet). Now, this isn't the longest or hardest trophy in the game. In fact, you can simply work on it while you play. All you have to do is use each of the game's three ships for an entire campaign. There are four campaigns total -- and you will likely unlock all of the ships before starting the third campaign -- so you don't even have to replay anything. So, why is it so bad? Well, it's not, with the first two ships. The first ship is pretty generic, but the second is sectioned off so that the first player can only use the left side of the ship, while the second can only use the right. I'm OK with that. What I'm NOT okay with is the third ship -- the Jelly Roll -- that ROLLS AROUND WHILE YOU STEER. You want to get motion sickness, kids? Yeah, just steering a ship that's doing 360 degrees. Even better, try to maneuver around INSIDE the ship. Nothing like running up ladders when the controls are being inverted. I played for five minutes like that and felt physically ill. No way I'm doing a whole campaign like that.

WIN IN NINE. Riding on cloud nine, baby!

8Af86wN.jpg

Whoa now, big boy. Let's keep it PG.

Edited by Cassylvania

@Cassylvania I can buy Skyrim for cheap. Plenty of places where the PS4 remaster is selling for a low price.

But..... I already have The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 to finish. You may of noticed that it takes a very long time for me to get into RPGs, and even more so to complete them. Yeah, RPGs aren't really my cup of tea. Platformers on the other hand, I'm all ears.

I'll probably get back to Super Meat Boy after I finish Bloodborne.

I see Bloodborne finished on your trophy list and I'm about to start playing it.

Is there anything I need to be wary of? Only things I know is the Defiled Dungeon sucks and the game is a bit rough at the beginning portions. Other than that I don't see too much else with it that is going to make it ridiculously challenging.

I've played more difficult games than Bloodborne in my time, but this is definitely a game where you can't mow your way through everything like in God of War.

Any tips, advice, and courtesy is appreciated.

I badly, badly want Bloodborne to be my 125th platinum.

----

No mention of Uncharted?

Yeah that really sucks with The Last of Us. Despite being a dark game it definitely has a sense of humor. I can finish everything in single player on the remaster and that's essentially 32 out of 50 trophies. But I'm required to pour in 26 hours of multiplayer. With a shitty internet connection that may be difficult.

I really want to play through this game. But I don't want to add too many unfinished games on my list. I got enough of that already with Assassins Creed games.

I did okay in Uncharted 4 multiplayer. But there were matches where I was playing against people in other regions (Asia) so the internet really took a nosedive. I played around the afternoon a couple times and got into a few matches with other American players and the latency and stability were much better.

• Like 1

@Spaz I wish I could give you some advice for Bloodborne. Unfortunately, it's been so long that I can't really remember much about the game. I think I told you before that I consider Defiled Amygdala as the hardest non-DLC boss in the entire Soulsborne series. But if I recall correctly, you haven't played Dark Souls yet, so that might not mean anything to you. Some of the early bosses are difficult as well... Father Gascoigne, in particular. You really need to get your timing down. In most Souls games, you're punished for trying to rush things. In Bloodborne, though, it almost feels like you're supposed to play recklessly. Dodging, parrying, and attacking are critical. Backpedaling will get you killed. I might be able to give you more specific tips on the boss fights, since that's the meat of the game. But in terms of what build is the best or what weapons you should use, I have no idea. I believe I started with the cane.

I did mention Uncharted up there. It's just buried in my daily golf log.

I'm actually a huge RPG fan, but I only like to have one "big" game going at a time. That's about to get wrecked if I begin HZD next week.

I'd love to hear about your experiences with Bloodborne, if you want to post your progress here. I do consider the main game to be slightly easier than any of the Dark Souls games, but it's the Chalice Dungeons and the DLC that push it to a 9/10 in terms of difficulty.

Ah, I love mornings! Got in a good workout, went for a run, and I'm all ready...to play some more video games. Preferably not shitty ones. I'm looking at you, chameleon boy and space lovers.

I suppose I should just let the cat out of the bag. (Meow?) I'm back to playing Darkest D. Well, I shouldn't really say back to playing. More like, reminding myself how to play. Fortunately, I have a backup save from Week 104 in my NG campaign, where I've basically done everything except beat the final dungeon. The Crimson Court DLC can be enabled mid-game (thank you for that, Red Hook), so I'm basically prepared for anything, with several maxed out characters and a fully upgraded town. The five DLC trophies look straightforward enough (beat each of the three bosses, beat a recurring mini-boss, and buy a completely useless and overpriced statue for the town), but the Court dungeons are ridiculous. We're talking long, we're talking hard, we're talking a new mechanic to the game that can turn my soldiers into bloodthirsty vampires. And you thought Team Edward was dead.

What's interesting, though, is that you can apparently leave a Court dungeon and return to it later, with your progress saved. I guess it costs one "invitation," which you get from fighting a Gatekeeper, which only appears when you...do lots of dungeons? I don't get it. Basically, there are mosquitoes and other Twilight rejects that infest each of the game's four main dungeons, and I guess doing the same dungeon repeatedly increases their presence in that dungeon. Once you beat a Crimson boss, your entire team is cured of any afflictions (temporarily anyway), and then you repeat two more times. I'm not sure why I'm summarizing something I don't even understand, but hey, I did it for two years as a graduate student TA.

Now, the only issue is -- and this stupid -- the first DLC boss is in a level 3 dungeon. For those of you unfamiliar with the game, that means only mid-level characters can enter that dungeon. That means my maxed out characters are useless. I do have some mid-level characters, but I want to get them to level 4 (the highest level you can be to enter a mid-dungeon) before I attempt this thing. Fortunately, that's easy enough to do, because the statue you need requires SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY (!) crests. THAT'S A 7, THAT'S A 5, AND THAT'S A 0. To put that into perspective, I have about 30.

You sicken me, Red Hook.

Edited by Cassylvania

I didn't really mind the MP too much in The Last of Us. I typically don't like the MP add-ons for single player games, but this wasn't too bad. You could skip most of the stuff and once you got the hang of it, 5 downs really isn't too hard. However, if I was forced to restart I'd be singing a different tune. The MP on Arkham Origins was a lot worse. It had a ton of potential and I loved the idea of Batman and Robin being the 3rd team in the map, but the disconnects were so frequent and the trophies were much harder. In general I tend to avoid games with a MP aspect.

Thanks for the heads up on Demon's Souls. It's in my backlog and I was planning on playing The Fractured But Whole next, but maybe I'll wait on that.

That golf game kinda reminds me of Nintendo graphics...I kinda like them. Not sure I'll ever get around to playing it, but it seems fun.

I wish I liked mornings lol My 5 month old pretty much is making the night all blur since he is sleeping so poorly. I really need to start working out but have had no energy for it. I quit drinking soda two weeks ago to kind of get the ball rolling on improving my health. I bought a recumbent bike to exercise while I watch TV, but it's currently holding some books and some video games on it...someday I'll use it.

I had to take any free time I would have had this weekend to play games to nap. I even fell asleep during the Patriots game today for a bit ><. BTW your Vikings looked solid again and if this Seahawks vs Eagles game holds up...you guys will now be in the mix for home field throughout! Well I'm gonna squeeze 30 minutes of FFXV in before I call it a night! I hope the Seahawks hold them off for you!

• Like 1

@Br1ste I know! I'm so happy for my boys. So much so that I am suffering through Cris Collinsworth, in hopes that the Seahawks can hold this lead. Even though they scare me more than the Eagles ever did. Getting home field advantage through the playoffs would be SO huge.

As for the AFC... Just crown the Pats now. Brady just does his thang.

Oh, and here are a few updates!

1. I beat the first of three bosses in the Darkest D DLC. He was actually pretty tough, but getting to him was the hardest part. Fortunately, the second boss is in a level 5 dungeon, so I can use my maxed out characters. Unfortunately, I need an invitation to enter the dungeon.? But you, you're not allowed... You're uninvited. An unfortunate slight. ?
  2. Did I mention I love Alanis Morissettee?
  3. EG has been screwing me over! I've been chipping away at that fishing trophy all week, and just now realized only about half of my progress was saved. I have no idea why, considering the "auto save" thing pops up after every catch, but I am maaad. I'm so mad that I took my anger out on a little kid. Meet EG opponent #5: GABRIEL.

SHJCHGi.jpg

I believe his expression says it all.

Edited by Cassylvania

On 12/3/2017 at 10:53 PM, Primeape said:

I want to play Darkest Dungeon in the future.

Looks very difficult.

You have to save scum a lot because of some RNG element in the game?

Um... I'd say it's about on par with XCOM 2. It's a little harder with Darkest Dungeon because the game auto saves every time you enter a room or encounter an enemy. If you quit the game via the XMB, though, you can essentially restart the fight. As far as I can tell, RNG rolls are completely randomized, so restarting a fight should get you a different outcome every time. The game also loads much faster than XCOM 2, so I'm more willing use it. Still, I try to reserve it for bosses and some of the more difficult encounters. I actually ended up using it three times for the Baron (the first DLC boss) because I wasn't sure how the fight worked. Once I figured that out, he wasn't too bad.

Without save scumming, I think this would be harder than XCOM 2. You sometimes roll an encounter that has three spiders (very easy to kill), but restarting the game and triggering the same fight could net you two skeletons, the crazy guy, and that dude who spills his drink on you (you are dead). I can play through most dungeons without save scumming, though. The only real exception is whenever I encounter the Collector. I will almost always restart when I see him. And it's not because he's hard, even though he is. It's because he makes me sick. Like, literally. His little buddies make me physically ill whenever I see them. Just look at this.

142.png

It's even grosser when they do the animation that shows their ghostly body.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Snip: She said a lot of cool stuff.

Well If I ever start it, you can give me some tips :)

Yeah his minions look gross.

Collector looks very familiar tho hmmmm.

channeler.jpg

What genre would you call these games, Xcom series and such? RTS or Tactical RPG or...?

Edited by Primeape
  • Like 1

@Primeape Absolutely. I hear they nerfed Houndmasters, which would...make the actual game much harder...but I can't really tell. I didn't find out how OP they were until the end game, but they were paramount on my NG+ playthrough. Just in case I forget everything by the time you decide to begin: I always like to have a Vestal and Plague Doctor in my party. The Vestal for heals and the Plague Doctor for stuns. You can have whatever you want in the front two spots.

Oh, and @Br1ste... Yeah, I keep having to remind myself that EG is on PS4 and not Nintendo. If it wasn't for the word "damn" being thrown around so often, I would swear I was playing Mario Golf on Switch.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Normally I would agree with you about the Seahawks, but they are just so injured I think they won't be able to go too far into the playoffs. Wilson is like Houdini behind that O-line, but the Eagles are healthy and can put pressure on the QB. I think you guys are sitting pretty right now provided nothing major happens. It's truly amazing what the Vikings have been able to do despite their own injury problems. Even though I'm a Pats fan...I hope Gronk gets suspended for that late hit yesterday. There is no doubt he was mugged on that interception and pass interference should have been called, but apparently his bush league late hit gave that other guy a concussion. Plus...I wouldn't mind him having a game off this time of year just for maintenance. The Dolphins trounced Denver yesterday, but they don't scare me too much. P.S. Chris Collinsworth is the WORST. Now that Phil Simms is out of the booth...Collinsworth is the most annoying, although Dan Fouts is pretty close.

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Did I mention I love Alanis Morissettee?

Is she still putting out new material? Outside of Jagged Little Pill and her appearance in the movie Dogma, I haven't seen or heard much about her. My mother played the Jagged Little Pill song into the ground and I know words to way more of her songs than I should...but I like her too so...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Normally I would agree with you about the Seahawks, but they are just so injured I think they won't be able to go too far into the playoffs. Wilson is like Houdini behind that O-line, but the Eagles are healthy and can put pressure on the QB. I think you guys are sitting pretty right now provided nothing major happens. It's truly amazing what the Vikings have been able to do despite their own injury problems.

I feel like I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was at the game last year when the Vikings went into Philly at 5-0, lost, and went on to have an 8-8 season. Still, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic after yesterday. Since they're bye, they went into Washington and beat the Redskins, stuffed the Rams at home, FINALLY beat the Lions (in Detroit, nonetheless), and held the defending NFC champs to three field goals at home. I keep feeling like each week is their "biggest test yet," but they just go out there and play great football. Next up: the Panthers.

I worry more about the Seahawks than any other game in the NFC because of their ability to pull off miracle plays. I don't know how you account for that. People blame Walsh for that missed field goal in the 2015 playoffs, but none of that would've happened if Wilson hadn't performed his magic on that play where he fumbled the snap. And it's not like that was a fluke. He does it every week. The Eagles look good too, but I think they've been feasting on weaker competition. I'm also concerned about the Saints, but I haven't been watching their games.

34 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Even though I'm a Pats fan...I hope Gronk gets suspended for that late hit yesterday. There is no doubt he was mugged on that interception and pass interference should have been called, but apparently his bush league late hit gave that other guy a concussion. Plus...I wouldn't mind him having a game off this time of year just for maintenance.

But I drafted Gronk. ?

Nah, I agree. Totally uncalled for.

36 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

P.S. Chris Collinsworth is the WORST. Now that Phil Simms is out of the booth...Collinsworth is the most annoying, although Dan Fouts is pretty close.

I'd put Aikman and Joe Buck up there too. I'm probably the only person in the world who likes Gruden in the booth. But I love Romo. I wish he was assigned to all Vikings games, now and forever. ?

38 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Is she still putting out new material? Outside of Jagged Little Pill and her appearance in the movie Dogma, I haven't seen or heard much about her. My mother played the Jagged Little Pill song into the ground and I know words to way more of her songs than I should...but I like her too so...

I don't think so. I was just quoting one of her songs. In fact, I do that a lot more than I'd like to admit...

• Like 1

As a fellow Seahawks fan myself who has followed them for over a decade, I wish they can pull through with another solid year.

Fuck Tom Brady. He is literally the Lebron James of football. There's no doubt he is one of the greatest players the game has ever had. Like Alex Rodriguez with baseball and Wayne Gretzky with hockey.

Mass media loves to post tons of coverage about these players. They make multi millions every year with their extremely expensive contracts, but stations like ESPN love to talk hours about them. I've gone to just watch the games on my own time without listening to the after coverage. Even the announcers seem to have gotten more and more annoying.

---

Making a bit of progress in Bloodborne, but much of my time is spent grinding out soul levels and blood echoes. Blood gems when combined with blood shards make a pretty good combination, the Hunter's Axe is much more powerful at +4 when it was without any upgrades.

Died a couple times at Vicar but she isn't too difficult. Been following Brian's guides (PS4Trophies on Youtube) and I have to say I respect him a lot for taking the time to develop and post his videos up for other trophy hunters to see. Definitely an all around great guy, easy to follow and his commentary helps a lot when you're having trouble with a few trophies. Used his videos for Uncharted 4 and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy trophies.