Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

@Spaz I feel like -- and excuse me for saying this -- the Seahawks are a lot like the Patriots, in the sense that, every year, people try to write them off after a few bad games to start the season. Come December, they're always in the mix, and they don't let a few injuries hold them back. If you told me you're from the future and it's another Pats/Hawks Super Bowl in February, I'd believe that. About the match-up. Not the from-the-future part.

But if you were, lotto numbers please.

Also, nice job on Bloodborne. If you didn't struggle with Amelia, you should be fine until the Chalice Dungeons. I can't remember another main game boss giving me trouble, buuut...let me Google them real quick.

[some time passes]

Yeah, I didn't have the trouble with Martyr Logarius or Ebrietas that other people did. I actually thought Shadow of Yharnam was pretty tough. Rom sucks on NG+. And Paarl... Hm. Well, I took a video of me killing him/her, so I assume I was proud of that. Sounds like you're doing fine, though. Farming for resources is always a good idea. I usually don't enjoy that in most games, but for some reason, it's okay when it's Soulsborne. Except the pure bladestone in Demon's Souls. That is never okay.

• Like 1

@Cassylvania I'm a Washington State resident. So naturally I would be a Seahawks fan.

I struggled with Blood Starved Beast more than any other boss. I often got poisoned to the point where either I had to use an antidote or keep using blood vials. He has also a grab attack which is guaranteed to take out 78 - 80 percent of your health even with high Vitality (I'm 26). That and he poisons you, during his third phase he surrounds himself with poison so you're going to get poisoned regardless.

Vicar Amelia I mostly hit from behind. Took a few attempts but she wasn't that bad. I mostly got hit from her right hand swipe or because I used a blood vial just before she landed her attacks. Her attack where she uses both her hands to crush you is devastating.

The Witch of Hemwick is a joke of a fight, easily the easiest boss so far. Only issue is her stun attack but that's not too bad to avoid.

Been following Brian's (PS4trophies) Youtube guides. I can't thank him enough to taking the time and effort to make his videos for others to see. I'm up to his Darkbeast Paarl video and he was Soul level 60, I'm Soul level 51 so I'm good to go.

You can always grind a bit for a hour or two to gain some levels or stock up on Blood vials and bullets.

Edited by Spaz

@Spaz I think I know Brian's videos. I'm sure I've used them before. But I typically only resort to a video if I'm really stuck. The only video walkthrough I've used for an entire game was a Brutal difficulty guide for Uncharted 1-3. I can't imagine doing that otherwise. For Soulsborne games, I try to do everything on my own, then I'll resort to a video or guide, then I'll summon an NPC for help, then I'll summon a PC for help. But there are a ton of great videos out there, and sometimes I'll just watch walkthroughs for fun. I did that while playing some of Darkest Dungeon. I wasn't really following what he was doing, because the game is too RNG-based, but it was nice to see his team arrangements and tactics in battle. Playing through the game again, I really wish I had given the Leper class more of a chance. That guy is amazing if you can get his accuracy up.

Yeah, the BSB is tough. I got extremely lucky the first time. I was running around lost (pretty sure I was getting chased by everything in that tower too), and I accidentally stumbled into that fight. Beat him on my first try. He may be the ONLY Bloodborne boss I beat on my first try. (OK, you're right. The witch was pretty easy too.) And yet, in future playthroughs, I struggled tremendously. He kinda reminds me of the Tower Knight from Demon's Souls that way. It does make me wonder if I overthink the boss fights. Sometimes it's better to just use your instincts than to try to formulate and carry out a strategy.

Speaking of bosses that piss me off, I'm up to the second boss in Darkest D. At this point, I think I can review the Crimson Court DLC, and I'm going to have to say that it's awesome. Even just from an aesthetic standpoint, I'd put in on par with XCOM 2's WotC. The new enemies fit perfectly into the game, the new class (Flagellant) is great for risk/reward players, and I actually like the Crimson Curse mechanic. At first, I thought blood would be hard to come by (you need it to prevent the curse from killing your characters), but you can actually farm it very easily by doing Court dungeons. My only warning would be...well, it's two-fold. If you're new to the game, you probably don't want to activate the DLC right away. I can imagine this being a nightmare to handle for new (or lower level) players. For veterans of the game, or for those of you who would be playing the DLC on an existing playthrough (especially if you've already gotten all the trophies), I recommend you farm a bunch (6+) invitations before fighting the first boss (the Baron). The reason is because once you beat the Baron, the world infestation drops back to zero, and you have to wait for it to get to high again before you can get more invitations. Since you need an invitation every time you enter a Court boss dungeon, you're going to be waiting around for a few weeks with not much else to do...

How long? Well, I now have 1,064 crests...

OK. Nevermind. Apparently invitations don't carry over between boss fights... *SIGH*

Well, two bosses down. One to go. But I have to say: the Viscount, waaay easier than the Baron. Get two Man-at-Arms with Bolster, equip everybody with +Dodge trinkets, and laugh as every attack misses you. Laugh even harder when your Leper gets a critical hit.

I wonder if repeatedly retreating from a mission increases the infestation rate...

Edited by Cassylvania

22 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

But I drafted Gronk. 1f62d.png

Ha, I was going to ask if you play Fantasy Football because you are definitely more than a casual fan. I have four teams and the one I had Gronk on is the one that didn't make the playoffs. My other three leagues playoffs start this upcoming weekend, so it's about to get real.

11 hours ago, Spaz said:

Fuck Tom Brady. He is literally the Lebron James of football. There's no doubt he is one of the greatest players the game has ever had. Like Alex Rodriguez with baseball and Wayne Gretzky with hockey.

I have truly never understood the amount of vitriol spewed at Tom Brady. The guy has had to work for everything he has ever gotten. Sure, he has had some luck along the way (Tuck Rule, Rex Ryan time out in 2007 that ended up keeping the Patriots undefeated at the time). But he was never the anointed son like a Peyton Manning. I mean, I love Peyton Manning as well because I appreciate people who are masters at their craft...but Peyton came from NFL royalty and was always the hyped one. Tom Brady more mirrors the American Dream. He was a backup at Michigan and had to win the job from another anointed son Drew Henson; he was the 199th draft pick and was the fourth string quarterback for the Patriots when he came up. Then, last year when dealing with the fallout of the witch hunt that was deflategate, his mother battled cancer. His mental toughness is off the charts...When he got the job, he was more the game manager type, but worked himself into what he is now. He also worked himself back from a very bad knee injury. He never blames anyone when they lose and despite all the success and money he's earned, he is still the hardest working guy on the team. He never says a bad thing about anybody and he wins. 

I guess it all boils down to whether you (the royal you, not you specifically) believe he cheated or not. If you believe he cheated, then it means you never read past a headline because Deflategate was an absolute embarrassment and turned into a whether Goodell did or did not have the authority to do what he did instead of whether Brady actually did it or not. I love Brady, not just because he's on my team, but because he just goes about things the right way and always bounces back.

With Lebron, he was loved until 'The Decision' and his complete lack of social awareness. Since then, he has always been a 'me first' type of personality which is why he will never be on the same level as a Michael Jordan. Arod admitted to steroid use and lied about it for years before coming clean. And again, both of those guys were golden children who were handed everything in life (I don't say that to diminish the work they put into their sport, more the public perception until they screwed it up.) I think it's too bad that Brady will never be viewed as a Jordan or Gretzkey, because I really think he's a guy people should be rooting for.

23 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'd put Aikman and Joe Buck up there too. I'm probably the only person in the world who likes Gruden in the booth. But I love Romo. I wish he was assigned to all Vikings games, now and forever. 1f60d.png

I'm in the same boat as you here. I love Gruden and McDonough. Last night they eviscerated the officials with how many flags they threw and seem a bit more edgy. Aikman and Buck allow their biases to show too much when calling a game.

On 12/2/2017 at 0:09 PM, Cassylvania said:

Final Fantasy is a series I haven't gotten to yet. I considered Type 0, but people told me not to start with that one. Then they started telling me what FF game I should start with, and I completely lost interest. I think, when I last had my mind made up, I was going to wait for the FF7 remaster...which may or may not still be a thing? I have no idea. I've only ever played FFTA.

I meant to comment on this before but got caught up in football. It honestly doesn't matter which one you would start with to be honest. Except for the -2's and Lightning Returns...they are all stand alone games and are different enough where you can really start anywhere. There are a lot of common themes, but the battle menus and even the way you progress varies quite a bit sometimes from game to game. Final Fantasy VI (III on SNES) will always be my favorite and I hope they re-release that at some point. Playing through FF3 on the SNES for the first time was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I have pre-ordered the FF7 remake and I just hope they don't screw it up by being too cute. The earlier games you can get through quicker, so it may not be a bad idea to start there...but to do everything will often take 60-100 hours.

• Like 1

@Br1ste I agree with everything you said about Brady. As far as professional athletes go, I think he's one of the better role models for the younger generation. He's an unselfish player (e.g. restructuring his contract so that the team can afford to surround him with more talent), with tremendous work ethic and a healthy lifestyle. I'm someone who exercises almost every day, and I've always looked up to Tom Brady, even if he's not on my team. In fact, I had an interesting conversation with a Packer fan the other day. He was saying that, if you switched the teams Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady played for (at the beginning of their careers, I'm assuming -- he didn't specify), that Rodgers would have more Super Bowl rings now. I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that, but I think he was saying that Rodgers would've won more championships with the Patriots than Brady has, and I couldn't disagree more.

Brady is, in my opinion, the best QB playing the game. But what he is being asked to do isn't the same thing as what Rodgers is asked to do. For Brady, a typical game is like 250 yards, 2 TDs. For Rodgers, a typical game is 350 yards, 3 TDs. At the end of the year, Rodgers usually has the better stats, but that's because he's forced to do a lot more. Brady doesn't HAVE to throw that many times in the game. Now, I think the argument here was that, because Rodgers has proven that he CAN do that -- on a regular basis -- that he is capable of doing more than Brady. But I don't know how much truth there is to that. They may play the same positions, but they don't play the same role.

In short, I do think Rodgers would have more than one ring if he played for the Patriots, but I don't think he would have five.

THAT SAID... I'd put Peyton Manning above both of them. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he would have more rings than Brady if they switched positions, but his mastery of the game puts him at the very top, I think. I say this as someone who is about as indifferent to the Colts, Broncos, and Mannings as can be. I think he's the best there ever was, and I'd slide Brady in as second. I'm too young to consider the early greats, but the game has changed so much that I don't think we should be comparing them by the same metrics anyway.

Oh, and as for Final Fantasy... I'll consider your advice. I can't imagine me taking a bite of that pie any time soon, because it's such a damn big pie. That's how I've felt about Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid, and Resident Evil too. I'm only this year getting to play the RE series.

Edited by Cassylvania

I DID IT! I thought it would be impossible, but I beat the third DLC dungeon AND the boss in a SINGLE go. I wouldn't have even attempted such a feat, but I really didn't want to have to raise the world infestation back to high. See, it's tough because the Court dungeons are extremely long, and the team you use to traverse the dungeon (probably one with heals and stress heals) might not be the same team you want to face the boss (in this case, bleeding damage). But I refused to let a little thing like common sense stop me.

I went into the dungeon with a solid team: Vestal (heals), Jester (stress heals and bleed), Flagellant (bleed), and Crusader (emergency heals). Between the Vestal and Jester, I was able to maintain my health and stress all the way up to the Countess. By the time I got to her, I was in pretty good shape, but I didn't know what to expect. She's pretty tough. I had to quit and reload my save once, but I knew it was doable because I had gotten her down to about 40% health. On my second attempt, I just focused on keeping my characters at full health, while doing as much bleed damage as possible. She has this nasty transformation that allows her to use four moves in a single round, but bleed procs every turn, so that's four times the damage.

And, with that, Darkest D is back to 100%!

GOIauE4.jpg

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

OK, time for some more updates! First of all, I would direct your attention to the first post in the topic. Do you like the new layout? I think the images are more interesting than a plain list, but some of the images don't have the game titles. And that stupid chameleon keeps looking at me. Maybe I could rank the games by how much I enjoyed them...

Also, don't think I forgot my daily EG opponent yesterday. I took out Tomomi in five quick holes, as you might have expected. Here's her look of shame.

Pa5hRTQ.jpg

There's also another annoying trophy in this game. You have to collect all the gallery characters for Full House. What's a gallery character? Well, basically, they're the NPCs you play against in tournaments. Each rank has x number of possible NPCs, and you are randomly matched up against 15 (for 9 holes) or 23 (for 18 holes) of them in each tournament. In order to "unlock" a gallery character, you have to beat that character by at least three strokes. How annoying is this? Well, there are seven ranks and 720 gallery characters. I've unlocked all of the characters in the lower ranks, but the highest rank has 200 (!) gallery characters. I've unlocked 95 of those. But the annoying part is that you can't choose who you're matched up against. You do have the option of "shuffling" NPCs, but it costs gold and there's no guarantee that the new NPCs will be ones you haven't unlocked yet. Plus, beating everyone by three strokes isn't exactly the easiest thing to do in the hardest tournament. I vote this trophy: 0/10.

Another jank thing about this game: the caddies. I've unlocked five of these bozos, and each is worse than the one before. Why? Because they blurt out shit like, "FOCUS!" or "THIS SHOT IS FOR BIRDIE!" when you're trying to putt. Even their advice that could be helpful in real life -- like which way the green slopes -- is rendered useless because the game already has a grid that indicates that for me. This game needs an option to break a golf club over your caddy's head, because I've about had it with Lulu.

So, between the fishing trophy, the daily VS opponents, the gallery characters, and the asshole caddies that won't shut up, I'm going to have my hands full with this game for a while.

On the bright side... HZD arrived in the mail!

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

@Spaz I think I know Brian's videos. I'm sure I've used them before. But I typically only resort to a video if I'm really stuck. The only video walkthrough I've used for an entire game was a Brutal difficulty guide for Uncharted 1-3. I can't imagine doing that otherwise. For Soulsborne games, I try to do everything on my own, then I'll resort to a video or guide, then I'll summon an NPC for help, then I'll summon a PC for help. But there are a ton of great videos out there, and sometimes I'll just watch walkthroughs for fun. I did that while playing some of Darkest Dungeon. I wasn't really following what he was doing, because the game is too RNG-based, but it was nice to see his team arrangements and tactics in battle. Playing through the game again, I really wish I had given the Leper class more of a chance. That guy is amazing if you can get his accuracy up.

Brian deserves a lot of credit. He's been around a good while (41 years old) and he's one of the people Sony ships their games early to. That's why he was the first to platinum Assassins Creed Syndicate and release videos for other games well before their release date. Been around long enough to have played video games for a few decades, I respect people who have seen the transition from Atari to what we have today.

Well yes, I could probably just play Bloodborne completely blind but I would likely miss a lot of items and NPCs I would have to talk to eventually. Thankfully I kept up with Eileen the Crow's storyline because there are points in the game where she changes locations. If you don't talk to her initially and you're about midway through the story then you can't complete the questline until you start New Game Plus. You can also kill her if you wish but that is extremely difficult especially early game.

It was just alternating between antidotes and blood vials that killed me more than anything. Blood Starved Beast has a powerful poison that drains health rapidly but at the same time you're getting hit for regular damage. So you're multitasking, but as long as you don't get hit by his flurry attack you should be okay. I had the max amount of blood vials and antidotes prior to killing him.

7 hours ago, Br1ste said:

I have truly never understood the amount of vitriol spewed at Tom Brady. The guy has had to work for everything he has ever gotten. Sure, he has had some luck along the way (Tuck Rule, Rex Ryan time out in 2007 that ended up keeping the Patriots undefeated at the time). But he was never the anointed son like a Peyton Manning. I mean, I love Peyton Manning as well because I appreciate people who are masters at their craft...but Peyton came from NFL royalty and was always the hyped one. Tom Brady more mirrors the American Dream. He was a backup at Michigan and had to win the job from another anointed son Drew Henson; he was the 199th draft pick and was the fourth string quarterback for the Patriots when he came up. Then, last year when dealing with the fallout of the witch hunt that was deflategate, his mother battled cancer. His mental toughness is off the charts...When he got the job, he was more the game manager type, but worked himself into what he is now. He also worked himself back from a very bad knee injury. He never blames anyone when they lose and despite all the success and money he's earned, he is still the hardest working guy on the team. He never says a bad thing about anybody and he wins. 

I guess it all boils down to whether you (the royal you, not you specifically) believe he cheated or not. If you believe he cheated, then it means you never read past a headline because Deflategate was an absolute embarrassment and turned into a whether Goodell did or did not have the authority to do what he did instead of whether Brady actually did it or not. I love Brady, not just because he's on my team, but because he just goes about things the right way and always bounces back.

With Lebron, he was loved until 'The Decision' and his complete lack of social awareness. Since then, he has always been a 'me first' type of personality which is why he will never be on the same level as a Michael Jordan. Arod admitted to steroid use and lied about it for years before coming clean. And again, both of those guys were golden children who were handed everything in life (I don't say that to diminish the work they put into their sport, more the public perception until they screwed it up.) I think it's too bad that Brady will never be viewed as a Jordan or Gretzkey, because I really think he's a guy people should be rooting for.

It's popular to hate the mega popular stars. Brady is constantly mentioned in the news much like Peyton Manning was. Much of my hate stems from the fact that I've been a long time Seahawks fan (I'm not far from Seattle) and the Patriots happen to be on the complete opposite coast. I see them to be how the New York Yankees were a decade ago. Granted the Patriots are a much cleaner team than the Yankees. But their constant winning seasons with a quarterback who never seems to be out of the spotlight is my reason for not liking him.

In other words, I don't have a real valid reason for hating him other than him leading a team to multiple Superbowls.

Lebron and Rodriguez were both brought up at an extremely young age. Lebron was 18 and A-Rod was 18 - 19 when they were first brought up to the big leagues. I have to give them both credit for that, since they put out historical numbers that most players can only dream of getting. Doesn't mean I respect either one of these athletes, because I truly don't.

First post is looking good Cassy! Great design idea ?

You've got a really impressive list going on here, I was wondering what your opinion of Gravity Rush was? Been considering checking it out as I've heard heaps about it but still don't know anything about it haha.

• Like 1

Just now, Dessane said:

First post is looking good Cassy! Great design idea ?

You've got a really impressive list going on here, I was wondering what your opinion of Gravity Rush was? Been considering checking it out as I've heard heaps about it but still don't know anything about it haha.

Hi, Dess! You caught me at a good time. I just finished editing the first post. I decided to organize all of the games into tiers, based on difficulty or length. I think that's more meaningful than just listing them in alphabetical order or by platinum number.

As for Gravity Rush... I don't know how clear I've made this in this topic, but I'm generally not a fan of games that border on motion sickness (*cough* Mirror's Edge *cough*). It's probably the reason I can't get into VR. I think Gravity Rush is a well-designed game, though, and I don't recall ever feeling like I was going to vomit. And like I always say, "If a game doesn't make me want to vomit, it can't be all that bad!" (Cassy, circa 2017). Definitely worth a play, and I'll be picking up the sequel as soon as I have the money.

1 minute ago, Cassylvania said:

Hi, Dess! You caught me at a good time. I just finished editing the first post. I decided to organize all of the games into tiers, based on difficulty or length. I think that's more meaningful than just listing them in alphabetical order or by platinum number.

As for Gravity Rush... I don't know how clear I've made this in this topic, but I'm generally not a fan of games that border on motion sickness (*cough* Mirror's Edge *cough*). It's probably the reason I can't get into VR. I think Gravity Rush is a well-designed game, though, and I don't recall ever feeling like I was going to vomit. And like I always say, "If a game doesn't make me want to vomit, it can't be all that bad!" (Cassy, circa 2017). Definitely worth a play, and I'll be picking up the sequel as soon as I have the money.

It's a great idea to do the tier system, when I eventually get a few more plats I will probably do the same thing! I haven't reallly had problems with motion sickness in games before but that sounds like a good criteria for judging a game. It might have to go onto the backlog backlog

1 minute ago, Dessane said:

It's a great idea to do the tier system, when I eventually get a few more plats I will probably do the same thing! I haven't reallly had problems with motion sickness in games before but that sounds like a good criteria for judging a game. It might have to go onto the backlog backlog

Yeah, I have a very detailed flow chart when it comes to decide which game I will play next:

1. Does it look like something I'd enjoy?
  2. If yes, is 100% possible?
  3. If yes, is 100% reasonable?
  4. If yes, will I become physically ill from playing this game?
  5. If no, OK.

I wouldn't say I get bad motion sickness, but even games like The Witness have made me queasy at times. And, as much as I joke around in this topic, I was serious when I said Darkest Dungeon grosses me out. Some of those enemies -- especially the Collector, but some of the Crimson Court monsters as well -- are freakin' disgusting to look at. Overall, the game is a beautiful work of art and must be played, but sometimes I think the visuals are too good. Blech.

• Like 1

OK, that was a relatively quiet day of video gaming. I did get HZD in the mail, but I haven't started it yet. I may begin it this weekend...or I may finish Dorky Dogma first. I would like to at least BEAT that game before I begin something else. I've always had this ideal image in my mind of me only having two or three "active" games at a time. Like, wouldn't that be great if I was only playing through one game, while casually chipping away at trophies in another? I'm down to four games now, but HZD would doom my completion for the next eight months.

But let's not undersell what we accomplished today. Getting Darkest D out of the way was huge. I feel somewhat rejuvenated. It may be time to get back into RER. Yes, it's true that the game nearly broke my spirit and sent me on a month-long hiatus from video gaming, but we can't allow that shit to persist into 2018. We should make it our goal to finish that game this month and finally achieve our lifelong dream of being at three or less active games! Then we can totally screw it up in January. YEAH!

Oh, also, this joker challenged me at EG. If you can't see him, he's the dead guy in the grass.

1Lk2XqJ.jpg

Assuming the game isn't screwing me over by not saving my progress (like it did with the fish), that's seven rivals down, ten to go. Should have this trophy wrapped up by next Friday.

Anybody check out the PS+ games this month? I see one game that wants to be Dark Souls and another that looks like an insult to both one of my favorite animated films of all-time and a very popular Nintendo game. Are either of these worth checking out?

Edited by Cassylvania

6 hours ago, gernboes said:

Liking the layout very much! ;)

Thanks so much! It was a bit tricky to organize, but I think I prefer organizing them by length/difficulty instead of favorite/least favorite. I don't want to offend anybody by hating some game they liked, or liking some game they hated.

I had to make some judgment calls, though. Games that are listed as "epic" are either long OR hard (or both). Skyrim isn't a hard plat, but it's long. Crash Bandicoot isn't long, but it's hard. I feel like both of these games should be acknowledged, because a lot of work is required to get the platinum. In contrast, "baby" games are short AND easy. I didn't want to include, say, Unravel (which is short, but tricky) or World of Final Fantasy (which is easy, but long) in that category, as I feel it should be reserved for games that are relaxing to play and can be finished in a single weekend.

Of course, not everybody is going to agree with my rankings. Those are just my opinions.

Well, guys... My streak has been broken. I was challenged by EG's Paul, and he defeated me in eight holes. Why didn't I back up my save? Arrogance. Sheer arrogance on my part.

Now, like I said before, you apparently only get one shot at a VS opponent per day, so I'm assuming Paul will either reappear tomorrow...or he'll be tossed back into the pool of remaining characters. Either way, we'll see him again.

I also realized why I don't recognize some of these characters. They're not wearing the same outfits as they were the first time I played them. That's another thing about this game I haven't talked about. There are a ton of customization options. Shirts, hats, pants, shoes, accessories, extensions, and even personalities and swing motions. You get these from the shop (for in-game currency, thankfully), by winning tournaments, from beating opponents, or as random loot on online courses. Yeah, coins, balls, and other items are scattered all around online courses, and you can run around (or drive around, in a golf cart) to collect them. I know stuff like that doesn't have to be included in a golf game, but it's those little touches that make a game great. This game is something that I -- and I don't use this term enough when complimenting video games -- appreciate. I appreciate the care that went into designing this game. They could've just had this be a standard golf game, or they could have put advanced customization options behind a paywall, but they didn't. I actually just spent a few minutes driving around on a golf cart path on one of the courses, and I love the amount of detail given to the scenery. Not only that, but the courses look and feel like real courses. Sure, they took some creative liberties (e.g. I don't think an actual golf cart path would run so close to the side of a cliff without a guardrail), but that's what good animation does. And that's something I want to stress to any current or future developers out there. Too many games -- ESPECIALLY sports games, which is why I bring this up now -- are entirely focused on being realistic. That's wasted animation. You have the ability to do things in animation that you could never do in real life, and it's so frustrating to see companies pump out games year after year and never take advantage of it.

Also, this happened:

TQHQz8P.jpg

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

OK, so I did figure out one way to manipulate EG in my favor. If you quit a tournament, you can re-enter that tournament with the same conditions and gallery characters. SO, if you're having a bad round but you wasted 500 gold on reshuffling the roster until you got a favorable number of missing gallery characters, you can essentially restart the round at no cost. Very useful when you only have a few gallery characters left.

Unfortunately, I'm still having a hard time of winning by three strokes. If you enter a tournament with tornado cups (your ball is sucked into the hole if it comes within a few feet) or mega cups (giant holes), the AI starts pulling off birdies and eagles on every hole. You need conditions that make it harder, like rain or teeny cups, but then you're handicapping yourself as well. There's also this one course (Imperial Garden) that is ridiculously hard. It has narrow fairways, bunkers that are essentially craters, and water hazards everywhere. I've won a couple of times, but one bad hole will ruin your entire run.

Fortunately, I am making good progress. I only have 27 gallery characters left, 18 fish, 10 VS characters, and then a bunch of trick shots. I don't really understand how to get a hole-in-one on a par 5 (something about upgrading custom clubs with these gems I've been collecting and then recycling them until I get the stats I want), but we'll figure that out eventually.

Also, I'm pretty sure my character missed a gimme shot last night. I'm not even sure how that's possible or fair, since, as the name implies, the shot is automatic. But sure enough, she found a way.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

You know, I've changed my mind. I like not backing up my save for these VS fights. It makes them more intense, knowing that if I fail, I have to wait until tomorrow to try again. So, let's meet EG opponent #8: BORIS. (Apparently Paul was too chicken to challenge me again.)

[some time passes]

Well, Boris sucked. I can't imagine why. I mean, maybe he thought this was a NASCAR race or something, because I can't imagine why anybody would show up on the golf course wearing that. (And, yes, I've seen what some golfers wear.)

IVLKRPj.jpg

But hey, at least he gave me an updated golf cart. Which I immediately drove into a bunker. And you thought I was exaggerating about those craters in Imperial Garden!

iw08u6A.jpg

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, donut_plz said:

I should really start this game if you can only challenge vs once a day anyways.. going to be a long plat so might as well enjoy it a bit at a time while working on something else too. 

Hi @donut_plz! Welcome to the patch/farm/whatever we are right now. I really need to work on my consistency...

So, yeah. It's a longer plat than I expected. It will take you at least 18 days from the day you finish the game (by reaching Rank 7). Basically, with each rank, you need to play tournaments until you have enough experience to challenge one of the VS characters. There are three VS characters per rank. Once you defeat all three, you advance to the next rank. After you defeat all 18 VS characters, the rematches begin. I played for like two weeks before I even got to that point, so I think you're looking at a month long plat, if you play a couple hours per day. There might be ways to speed it up.

I think this is the perfect game if you want something relaxing to play while you're working on other games.

I like the new format on the first page. I have a huge backlog right now (especially for me since I'm only getting a few hours a week to play right now) but you are slowly selling me on this golf game. I could use a casual game to mix in with what I have on tap...only the new South Park game seems like it won't be stressful. Have you picked a 100th Plat yet?

6 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

I like the new format on the first page. I have a huge backlog right now (especially for me since I'm only getting a few hours a week to play right now) but you are slowly selling me on this golf game. I could use a casual game to mix in with what I have on tap...only the new South Park game seems like it won't be stressful. Have you picked a 100th Plat yet?

Not yet. I'm in no rush, though. I don't even know what plat #96 will be. You would think it'd be EG, but I'm still at least ten days away from that.

I'm debating whether I want to spend this weekend continuing Dorky Dogma (hereafter referred to as simply Dogma) or beginning HZD. The thought of having TWO lengthy action RPGs on my list frightens me. I'd sure feel better if I could knock out RER, but we all know that shit is going to follow me into 2018...

HZD really isn't THAT long of a game. I did two play through's to get the ultra hard mode trophy and the DLC in less than 60 hours and I took my time a bit in the first play through. I did that one on normal to get a feel for the game. It is pretty fun too so I wouldn't be too concerned about it being lengthy...well I suppose if you take the time to read/listen to ALL of the lore in the game it could take a while, but I found the story so interesting that it didn't feel like a long game to me. Plus Aloy is a pretty likeable main character.

• Like 1

@Br1ste That's good to know. I don't mind long games. I just don't like tackling multiple long games at the same time. I'll have to give it some thought... But, really, it's not like I'm going to plat Dogma any time soon. Even if I beat the game, I doubt I'll do it on Hard mode any time soon. Though I guess I could say the same for HZD. I like to spread out multiple playthroughs.

Didn't do much tonight, but I did collect all of the fish in EG, so that's another annoying trophy (:gold: Walking Encyclopaedia -- yes, they spell it that way) out of the way. Also got my missing gallery characters down to five. Huh, guess I did accomplish quite a bit...

Well, stay tuned tomorrow to see how I can fuck up my completion percentage some more.