Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

Well, two upsets on day 1 of the playoffs. Hope that isn't the trend next weekend, however I wouldn't mind seeing two more tomorrow. Sean McDonough almost lost his voice on that almost game winning fumble return by KC...one of the best calls you'll ever hear on a play that never happened lol.

It's 4 degrees outside here right now and it's supposed to be colder tomorrow, maybe -15 with windchill...yuck...so it looks like it'll be another day of football and gaming! (unless my wife gets her way and we 'get out of the house' for a while) As Hans Moleman once said, "Boo-Urns!"

• Like 2

6 hours ago, donut_plz said:

@Cassylvania I started Chronotrigger last spring on my vita again as well while on holidays. Such a great classic but like you I got sidetracked once I was back by games with trophies. 1f648.png

That seems to be the story of my life... Especially when it comes to 3DS games. Chrono Trigger, Pokemon Moon, Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem: Awakening... All of them started and forgotten. It's just so hard for me to get into handheld games these days. It was a lot easier when I was younger and spent most of my time away from home. These days, I don't know why I'd want to play games on anything but my big screen TV.

Chrono Trigger remaster, anyone?

2 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Well, two upsets on day 1 of the playoffs. Hope that isn't the trend next weekend, however I wouldn't mind seeing two more tomorrow. Sean McDonough almost lost his voice on that almost game winning fumble return by KC...one of the best calls you'll ever hear on a play that never happened lol.

It's 4 degrees outside here right now and it's supposed to be colder tomorrow, maybe -15 with windchill...yuck...so it looks like it'll be another day of football and gaming! (unless my wife gets her way and we 'get out of the house' for a while) As Hans Moleman once said, "Boo-Urns!"

Of all the games this weekend, I thought KC was the only one that was a guaranteed win. Major props to the Titans for proving me -- and the majority of the free world -- wrong. I was feeling pretty good about my 35-10 prediction at the half. Not so much by the end of the game. As for the other game... Inexperience killed the Rams. I can't say I'm surprised. I feel kinda bad, because if my team wasn't in the playoffs, I probably would've been cheering harder for them... But they were clearly not ready. Especially that Cooper guy. While I'm glad the Vikings won't have to face the Rams now, I really don't want to see the Saints either. Guess I'm stuck cheering for Carolina blue...

It's nearly that cold here. I opened Christmas presents and then came right home. Gonna get myself some wings tomorrow and pull for my boys in Buffalo. Hopefully I'll get to watch more of the games than I did today.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That seems to be the story of my life... Especially when it comes to 3DS games. Chrono Trigger, Pokemon Moon, Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem: Awakening... All of them started and forgotten. It's just so hard for me to get into handheld games these days. It was a lot easier when I was younger and spent most of my time away from home. These days, I don't know why I'd want to play games on anything but my big screen TV.

Chrono Trigger remaster, anyone?

Of all the games this weekend, I thought KC was the only one that was a guaranteed win. Major props to the Titans for proving me -- and the majority of the free world -- wrong. I was feeling pretty good about my 35-10 prediction at the half. Not so much by the end of the game. As for the other game... Inexperience killed the Rams. I can't say I'm surprised. I feel kinda bad, because if my team wasn't in the playoffs, I probably would've been cheering harder for them... But they were clearly not ready. Especially that Cooper guy. While I'm glad the Vikings won't have to face the Rams now, I really don't want to see the Saints either. Guess I'm stuck cheering for Carolina blue...

It's nearly that cold here. I opened Christmas presents and then came right home. Gonna get myself some wings tomorrow and pull for my boys in Buffalo. Hopefully I'll get to watch more of the games than I did today.

Go Bills baby! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Tough loss for Buffalo...they had a lot of chances and couldn't convert.

That's true. It was very similar to Pats/Steelers. People will complain about the final play of the game, but that loss was a team effort over the course of 60 minutes. You simply can't leave it in the hands of the refs.

5 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

PS....Brees throws a beautiful deep ball

Ugh, he does. I can't stand cheering for either of these teams. I'm just going to hope they both use up all their magic this week.

But I realllllllllly don't want to see Brees in Minnesota...

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

NOOOOOOOO!

Well, that was to be expected. Not the ending I would have liked, but definitely the best game of the weekend. And if you want to be the best, you gotta beat the best. So I guess we'll see Brees next weekend.

Going to play some video games and then back to work tomorrow, I guess.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

NOOOOOOOO

lol I still like your chances. You guys will definitely need to be better in the red zone for sure. Carolina could have won...that dropped TD and missed FG proved to be critical.

Good luck with your gaming tonight! I'm currently grinding out the 10,000 kill trophy in FFIX. Watching Maverick and pressing the X button. I'm at a point where enemies run at me. I just need to stand still and press X...these are the trophies that suck the fun out of the Final Fantasy games... I've read this can take up to 20+ hours so I'll get several movies in this week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

Good luck with your gaming tonight! I'm currently grinding out the 10,000 kill trophy in FFIX. Watching Maverick and pressing the X button. I'm at a point where enemies run at me. I just need to stand still and press X...these are the trophies that suck the fun out of the Final Fantasy games... I've read this can take up to 20+ hours so I'll get several movies in this week.

That's kinda where I am with The Sims... The two guys in my household are working on their careers, while the girl is working on her gardening skill. Not much I can do but sit back and wait for them to advance. These are my favorite kinds of games, I think... The ones that play themselves.

What movies are you going to watch? I'm looking for something good on Netflix. I liked What Happened to Monday?, but Bright was pretty awful. I mean, I applaud the movie's originality, but the execution needed a lot of work. And is it just me or does Will Smith always play...you know, Will Smith?

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

These are my favorite kinds of games, I think... The ones that play themselves

In general, I am kind of the same. I like to play games where I can multi-task, which is why I like XCom so much. Growing up I liked games like Warsong and Shining Force on the Genesis, or Civ II and Lords of the Realm II because I could watch TV or something in between turns. I wouldn't even mind the 10,000 kills thing if it made sense in the context of the game but it doesn't. From what I've read, you probably kill 2-3 thousand enemies through normal game play...they want 10,000 for no particular reason. At least in some of the other grind-y trophies in Final Fantasy games, there is a mini-game or reward for doing it, but this is grind-y and excessive for no reason. Today it wasn't a big deal since my wife went to her parents house for the day with our kids and I could just watch football and movies while spamming X...but if I had a turbo controller, I could just rubber band the X button down and walk away.

What movies are you going to watch?

I'm not sure what I want to watch. I get caught between wanting to watch something new, but also wanting to watch something I've already seen so that I don't have to pay complete attention to the movie either. I might mix it up a bit. Maverick was filmed in 1994, so I might do a little bit of a 90's comedy tour. Robin Hood Men in Tights, The Bird Cage, Titanic...any suggestions?

And is it just me or does Will Smith always play...you know, Will Smith?

I think I've seen like two movies where he doesn't play Will Smith. The Pursuit of Happyness and The Legend of Bagger Vance...I don't think I liked either of them that much. He is at his best when he's the Fresh Prince. I liked the MIB's and Bad Boys movies for what they were, but yeah...I can't take him seriously. I feel like Vince Vaughn is the same (and probably a bunch others too.)

I have never heard of What Happened to Monday? but it looks pretty interesting so maybe I'll check it out. I just started watching The Boondock Saints (for like the 20th time) but I'll add that to the queue.

Are you taking a break from HZD? Based on your commentary, it doesn't sound like you've enjoyed it very much.

Edited by Br1ste

41 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

In general, I am kind of the same. I like to play games where I can multi-task, which is why I like XCom so much. Growing up I liked games like Warsong and Shining Force on the Genesis, or Civ II and Lords of the Realm II because I could watch TV or something in between turns and I wouldn't even mind the 10,000 kills thing if it made sense in the context of the game but it doesn't. From what I've read, you probably kill 2-3 thousand enemies through normal game play...they want 10,000 for no particular reason. At least in some of the other grind-y trophies in Final Fantasy games, there is a mini-game or reward for doing it, but this is grind-y and excessive for no reason. Today it wasn't a big deal since my wife went to her parents house for the day with our kids and I could just watch football and movies while spamming X...but if I had a turbo controller, I could just rubber band the X button down and walk away.

Yeah, that's a dumb trophy. We need a name for ones like that. I've always believed that the best trophies are the ones you would normally complete over the course of a game. Grinding doesn't HAVE to be bad, but, for some reason, developers like making it that way.

Go figure, right?

41 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

I'm not sure what I want to watch. I get caught between wanting to watch something new, but also wanting to watch something I've already seen so that I don't have to pay complete attention to the movie either. I might mix it up a bit. Maverick was filmed in 1994, so I might do a little bit of a 90's comedy tour. Robin Hood Men in Tights, The Bird Cage, Titanic...any suggestions?

Titanic is a comedy now, huh? Well, if you want a 90s comedy, I only really know the classics: Groundhog Day, Office Space, Rush Hour, Tommy Boy, My Cousin Vinny... Those are all good movies to watch while you're really playing a video game. I would know. I do it all the time.

47 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Are you taking a break from HZD? Based on your commentary, it doesn't sound like you've enjoyed it very much.

Oh, no. I'm liking it. I tend to get distracted when it comes to lengthy games like that, though. I'll probably bounce back and forth between that and Setsuna for a while. With all this cold weather going on, it might be a good time to tackle The Frozen Wilds DLC.

One weird thing I noticed is that the trophies for Setsuna show up in Japanese on my trophy list. I guess this is normal? They're in English on the trophy page, but not in my trophy log. Well, so much for making this one a milestone, I guess!

11 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Titanic is a comedy now, huh? Well, if you want a 90s comedy, I only really know the classics: Groundhog Day, Office Space, Rush Hour, Tommy Boy, My Cousin Vinny... Those are all good movies to watch while you're really playing a video game. I would know. I do it all the time.

Poor attempt at humor with Titanic :) Each of those you listed are some of my favorites. I've actually watched all of those except Rush Hour since Thanksgiving lol Other video game movies of mine include: Pulp Fiction, Snatch, Dumb and Dumber, Star Trek: Into Darkness (I really like the reboot), Hackers, South Park and Simpsons Episodes. These movies are almost like listening to music at this point for me.

One weird thing I noticed is that the trophies for Setsuna show up in Japanese on my trophy list.

I've seen this for a couple of games.  I think in that scenario it was because the person who made the guide did it through the Japanese version, but I'm not 100% on that. When I look at your trophies from your profile, they are in English, but when I select the guide it is in Japanese, so that may be what it is.

Oh, no. I'm liking it. I tend to get distracted when it comes to lengthy games like that, though

Glad to hear it! I really enjoyed that game, especially once the story became clearer. I have that same problem with distractions, that's why I tend not to allow myself to start a new game until I have completed the previous. I'm afraid that I would get so distracted I would forget to come back and finish or that my skills will have diminished. Super Meat Boy is the only game I have not finished 100% before moving on because I needed a mental break.

• Like 1

@Br1ste All classic movies for sure. I don't know that there are many movies that I could watch repeatedly and still enjoy (trying to think of what movie I've seen the most in my life... it'd probably be Forrest Gump), but that's how I feel about King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers. Especially KotH. But those are shows I could just put on and let play all night and still enjoy them, as if I was watching them for the first time and paying complete attention. They're like background music.

Also, I got a Bob Funko Pop for Christmas! Not sure why they haven't made one for Hank yet. But those things are amazing. I might have to start my own collection. Because, you know, I tend to get obsessed about things like that. Still got all of my old Pokemon cards... (Never could figure out how to play that card game, so they're all in mint condition.)

I got a part-time job working in an office. Not really what I want to do, but a little extra cash goes a long way. Only problem is I work with two women who don't exactly get along, so I mostly try to keep to myself and mind my own business. I give me, oh, about six months.

As for tonight, just going to relax with The Sims. I've set it up that a bunch of trophies should auto-pop if I leave the game on long enough. Looking ahead, though, there are several trophies that are going to require a little extra work. I'm really not looking forward to the one that requires having triplets. I've heard horror stories.

You watching the Alabama/Georgia game?

• Like 2

@Cassylvania I've seen Forrest Gump a million times too. I tend to watch movies more than TV shows. Movies I've seen before I may watch a half hour at a time depending on what else I'm doing.

I had no idea what a Funko Pop is so I had to Google it lol Are they like bobble head dolls? Are they like beanie babies? I still have my old Magic the Gathering cards myself. I used to keep all of that stuff until I moved a few times. The third time I had to move my Sports Illustrated for Kids from 1990, I decided I didn't need them anymore. It would've been cool for nostalgia, but I didn't have the space to store them and I figured the odds of me actually sitting down to look at them were slim to none. I don't really collect anything anymore...just trophies I guess which is much easier on my storage.

What do you do in the office? If that's not really what you want to do, what do you want to do? I work at a bank personally and I don't particularly like it either, but I'm decent enough at it and I make decent money doing it so it could be worse. My dream job is to be the official score keeper of the Boston Red Sox, but I don't think that position opens up too frequently.

I'm actually pulling triple duty right now. I have the game on mute, am spamming X with my PS4 controller on an input I can't see right now AND I'm watching What Happened to Monday on Netflix (most of my attention is here).

I missed the first half of the game hanging out with my wife, but I put it on for the second half. I'm pretty surprised so far with the score (WOW that was a huge hit!) I feel like Alabama will pull this out at the end.

I'm liking What Happened to Monday so far....not at all what I was expecting but it's been entertaining through the first half.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

@Cassylvania I had no idea what a Funko Pop is so I had to Google it lol Are they like bobble head dolls? Are they like beanie babies? I still have my old Magic the Gathering cards myself. I used to keep all of that stuff until I moved a few times. The third time I had to move my Sports Illustrated for Kids from 1990, I decided I didn't need them anymore. It would've been cool for nostalgia, but I didn't have the space to store them and I figured the odds of me actually sitting down to look at them were slim to none. I don't really collect anything anymore...just trophies I guess which is much easier on my storage.

Yeah, Funko Pops are just like plastic figures with gigantic heads. I had never heard of them before, but someone in my family wanted one for Christmas and I found there are hundreds of them. You can pretty much think of anybody (real or fictional) and there's a Funko Pop of them out there.

Okay, not everybody. But just about every major character from a TV show or movie. There's even one for your boy Brady. I have a list of about ten of them I'd like to get at some point, but obviously there are better uses for my money. Like video games. (Surprisingly, there don't seem to be very many video game-based Funko Pops. Probably due to copyright issues. But there are ones for Nathan Drake, Lara Croft, Kratos, and Crash.)

Trophies are probably cheaper to collect.

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

What do you do in the office? If that's not really what you want to do, what do you want to do? I work at a bank personally and I don't particularly like it either, but I'm decent enough at it and I make decent money doing it so it could be worse. My dream job is to be the official score keeper of the Boston Red Sox, but I don't think that position opens up too frequently.

Just boring stuff, like answering the phone and paperwork. A monkey could do it. I mean, a monkey might also throw crap at customers, but it wouldn't be a far cry from some of the stuff I see going on there. What I'd like to do is teach (I guess?), but I'm not sure at what level. I'm just kinda running out of ideas. I feel like I've been bouncing around since I was sixteen. If I could do anything, I think I'd like to be an artist. It's about as unrealistic as the job you named, but at least I'd be doing something I'd enjoy.

My main goal with this job is to save up enough money to buy one of those really expensive drawing monitors. It's not something I need, but my tablet is getting old and I'd like to upgrade.

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

I'm actually pulling triple duty right now. I have the game on mute, am spamming X with my PS4 controller on an input I can't see right now AND I'm watching What Happened to Monday on Netflix (most of my attention is here).

Let me know what you think of it. I was pleasantly surprised. It's kinda weird, but I thought Noomi Rapace was great.

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

I missed the first half of the game hanging out with my wife, but I put it on for the second half. I'm pretty surprised so far with the score (WOW that was a huge hit!) I feel like Alabama will pull this out at the end.

Geez, four screens at once? And I thought I was bad. I say every year that I'm going to get into college football, I watch a few games, and then I get sick of it. I'll sometimes watch the bowl games, but I have no horse in this race. I skipped watching it in favor of a weird movie. But it looks like Alabama is going to pull it off with a last second field goal.

EDIT: Or not. Did I miss something?

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I think I'd like to be an artist. It's about as unrealistic as the job you named

If you enjoy it and have a knack for it, there is no reason you couldn't do something in the field of art :) Have you tried anything with graphic design? I feel like that would be a way to be artistic while also being in a field where there is some demand for jobs. Admittedly, I don't have an artistic bone in my body and have no idea what entails being a graphic designer...I mean I enjoy Karaoke and I'll rock out in my car while I'm driving, but that's as close to artistic as I get. I'm also taking a risk assuming that Graphic Design is considered art. I had a customer at the bank a few months ago that I was opening a business account for. She said she was a photographer and I asked her what type of photography. I made the mistake of ending that sentence with 'weddings and portraits?' She told me that she wasn't a hack and was a true artist. I had offended her so much by suggesting that she may be a wedding photographer that she left the bank without opening an account! So, if my suggestion is offensive to the art community I apologize in advance ;) 

Let me know what you think of it. I was pleasantly surprised. It's kinda weird, but I thought Noomi Rapace was great.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and completely surprised by the content. It was way more graphic and violent than I was expecting (not in a bad way.) My only disappointment was that once I figured out what was going on, I kind of knew what was going to happen next. I thought it was pretty obvious who the bad guy was pretty early and

Spoiler

I knew they couldn't have been storing all of those bodies cryogenically...where would they put them?

But overall I was thoroughly entertained. Thanks for the suggestion!

I say every year that I'm going to get into college football, I watch a few games, and then I get sick of it

I am the exact same way. This season, last night was the only college game I watched and I missed the first half. The game was pretty exciting at the end, but there are several things about college football I can't get past. I don't like how different the rules are; I don't like how the hash marks are wider; I don't like that the football is a different size and shape. In fact, the only thing I like a little better is the overtime setup. It's kind of gimmicky since the game isn't setup like that during regulation...but it is definitely more exciting.

Technically I only was using two screens last night. The football game and the PS4 was on my TV with football on one input setting and FFIX on the other. I was only partially paying attention to the football game and wasn't paying any attention to FFIX. I had Netflix on my PC and was only able to respond to your post since I heard the alert at the time. FFIX update...I've probably been spamming X for about 8 or 9 hours. I have the speed setting turned up and get two kills about every 10-12 seconds. Conservatively, that's about 10 kills every minute and about 600-650 or so per hour. To reach 10,000 it will be roughly 16 hours of spamming X (minus any kills I had to reach this point.) I get a little more than 500 xp per kill and I have roughly 3.4 million XP earned since I started this marathon. So if my maths is correct...I have killed roughly 6800 enemies. Looks like I have a couple more nights of spamming X in front of me;

Edited by Br1ste
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Br1ste said:

If you enjoy it and have a knack for it, there is no reason you couldn't do something in the field of art :) Have you tried anything with graphic design? I feel like that would be a way to be artistic while also being in a field where there is some demand for jobs. Admittedly, I don't have an artistic bone in my body and have no idea what entails being a graphic designer...I mean I enjoy Karaoke and I'll rock out in my car while I'm driving, but that's as close to artistic as I get. I'm also taking a risk assuming that Graphic Design is considered art. I had a customer at the bank a few months ago that I was opening a business account for. She said she was a photographer and I asked her what type of photography. I made the mistake of ending that sentence with 'weddings and portraits?' She told me that she wasn't a hack and was a true artist. I had offended her so much by suggesting that she may be a wedding photographer that she left the bank without opening an account! So, if my suggestion is offensive to the art community I apologize in advance ;) 

Artists tend to be very sensitive. I'm not, so I guess that means I'm not an artist... I dunno.

*I* consider digital art (I think that's more encompassing than graphic design) to be art. My friend, who is an art teacher, doesn't. Like with most things, not everybody is gong to agree. I think Bob Ross is a great artist. Most people I know in the profession disagree. I don't think Jackson Pollock is a good artist. Most people I know in the profession disagree. While I understand (to some degree, anyway) the argument both for and against these artists, you're not going to convince me that dripping paint on a canvas is somehow more masterful than creating semi-realistic landscapes with just a few brushstrokes in a very short amount of time. That statement would get me kicked out of most art communities...but that's why I'm in a gaming community when I say it.

I don't consider myself to be a great artist. I doodle and draw cartoons. In fact, I've been wanting to make a banner/title page for this topic for a long time, but I think I'm going to wait until we're something other than a crap patch. I've drawn enough shit in my life.

6 hours ago, Br1ste said:

This season, last night was the only college game I watched and I missed the first half. The game was pretty exciting at the end, but there are several things about college football I can't get past. I don't like how different the rules are; I don't like how the hash marks are wider; I don't like that the football is a different size and shape. In fact, the only thing I like a little better is the overtime setup. It's kind of gimmicky since the game isn't setup like that during regulation...but it is definitely more exciting.

I'm hard-pressed to think of anything I prefer in college football over the NFL too. The argument that I hate -- and, I mean, really, really hate -- is that ANY college football team would even stand a chance against the worst professional football team. That's ridiculous. The absolute worst NFL team (and we know who they are... they had a parade yesterday to celebrate their awfulness, and I almost went) would destroy any college football team you threw at them. Honestly, I just wish they'd do it, just once, so that argument could end.

Don't get me wrong, though. There are terrible NFL teams. There are really good college football teams that put eight, nine, sometimes ten guys in the draft. But, with only a few exceptions, every NFL player was drafted. The game is at a totally different level. The level of skill between, say, the Browns and the Patriots, is not nearly as large as the gap between the Browns and Alabama. You see it every Sunday in the NFL, when the difference in most games comes down to one or two plays. That's really all it takes. In college football, offensives can do whatever they want, because there just aren't enough skilled guys to cover everyone. (And because the rules allow them to, but that's beside the point...)

I liked college football when I was in college, but I just have no reason to watch now, other than to scout out who the next Browns QB will be. If you're the Browns' GM, what do you even do at this point?

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, donut_plz said:

Yikes. Didn't realize that 10k kill trophy was that much of a grind. Not looking forward to it when I start on FFIX.

It's really not too bad since it is so mindless. You can put the fighting on auto and only need to hit X twice after each battle to get to the next fight...but then you have to semi pay attention. I just hold the controller in my hand and casually press X continuously so I don't have to pay attention. It would be really easy with a turbo controller and a rubber band wrapped around on X though. You could let it run over night and probably have the trophy completed.

you're not going to convince me that dripping paint on a canvas is somehow more masterful than creating semi-realistic landscapes with just a few brushstrokes in a very short amount of time. That statement would get me kicked out of most art communities...but that's why I'm in a gaming community when I say it

Preach! My wife took me to MoMA in NYC several years ago and I HATED it. We walked into one of the rooms and there was a fish tank with three basketballs floating in it. That was it. I looked at her and said 'wtf am I looking at? How is this considered art?' There was another exhibit that had like 50 small monitors that was playing images of this old guy in his house. One screen showed him ironing his clothes, another screen he was sitting on the toilet. I was irrationally angry that this kind of stuff was considered creative. We also saw Monet's Water Lilly's, which I actually considered art, but like you, I considered what Bob Ross did amazing. I get that there is nothing risky or exciting about it, but there is something incredible about the speed and precision he was able to create the things he did. I always appreciate art that makes a drawing or a painting look like real life. That, to me, is real talent and skill.

I think I'm going to wait until we're something other than a crap patch. I've drawn enough shit in my life.

I chuckled at this. Do you ever write for fun? Your posts are always cleverly composed. A lot of your stories don't appear to be headed towards a punchline or joke, but they always end with some well placed humor. I am a horrible writer. I write like I speak, which is a grammatical nightmare. I was the king of "excellent ideas but poorly executed" growing up. 

The argument that I hate -- and, I mean, really, really hate -- is that ANY college football team would even stand a chance against the worst professional football team.

I also hate that argument. Living in CT, I hear that all the time about the UConn Women's Basketball team. There is no doubt that they are probably the greatest dynasty of any sports team in any sport in history...having said that...I used to tend bar and would ALWAYS have people that would come in and say how they would beat the UConn men in a game. That is a ridiculous thought. The men are just too tall and too athletic and no matter how fundamentally sound and fun to watch the women may be...to think they could stand any chance against a D1 men's program is asinine. 

If you're the Browns' GM, what do you even do at this point?

Do they still make cyanide pills?

Edited by Br1ste
  • Like 3

@Cassylvania CFL to me is the Canadian Football League. Not sure why we still have the CFL to be honest though as most of us canuckleheads watch NFL instead. Maybe its the differences in CFL, longer and wider fields, longer end zones, different placement of uprights, only 3 downs. IMO less downs makes for less throwing plays and plenty of rushes that make for a more boring game. I don't generally pay to much attention unless its the Grey Cup game but I do try to watch as many Seahawks games as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

My wife took me to MoMA in NYC several years ago and I HATED it. We walked into one of the rooms and there was a fish tank with three basketballs floating in it. That was it. I looked at her and said 'wtf am I looking at? How is this considered art?' There was another exhibit that had like 50 small monitors that was playing images of this old guy in his house. One screen showed him ironing his clothes, another screen he was sitting on the toilet. I was irrationally angry that this kind of stuff was considered creative. We also saw Monet's Water Lilly's, which I actually considered art, but like you, I considered what Bob Ross did amazing. I get that there is nothing risky or exciting about it, but there is something incredible about the speed and precision he was able to create the things he did. I always appreciate art that makes a drawing or a painting look like real life. That, to me, is real talent and skill.

I agree. The biggest knock on Bob Ross that I hear is that he never "improved". He was essentially able to churn out painting after painting for many years that always looked...well, like Bob Ross paintings. It was always, "Those are Bob Ross trees, those are Bob Ross clouds, those are Bob Ross bushes," as if it is a bad thing that his work is so recognizable. I'm not exactly sure where the hate for him the art community stems from. I can understand not liking, say, Thomas Kinkade. I have nothing against Kinkade, but his work has been heavily commercialized, and I know that some people consider that "selling out." But compare that to Bob Ross, who was on PBS and supposedly never made a dime selling his paintings on the show. Couple that with his personality and the fact that he made painting fun and accessible to millions of people, including a young me, and I'm not sure what's not to like.

But sure, tell me a guy on a toilet is art.

Actually, what you mentioned reminds me a bit of The Witness. I don't know if you've ever played the game -- and I won't spoil anything -- but it was as pretentious as most exhibits. A shame too because I actually liked the game (puzzle games are some of my favorites, if I've never managed that), but that pushed every one of my buttons the wrong way. I'm like that with movies too. While I really enjoy some artsy movies (e.g. The Fall, Fight Club, La La Land), others (e.g. Sin City, Her, Moonrise Kingdom) just don't appeal to me. Perhaps there is such a thing as TOO artsy.

1 hour ago, Br1ste said:

I chuckled at this. Do you ever write for fun? Your posts are always cleverly composed. A lot of your stories don't appear to be headed towards a punchline or joke, but they always end with some well placed humor. I am a horrible writer. I write like I speak, which is a grammatical nightmare. I was the king of "excellent ideas but poorly executed" growing up. 

Ha, thanks. I actually do write, but just short stories, and not so much anymore. When I was younger, I wanted to be a comic book artist, because I liked to come up with ideas for a story and then sketch everything out on paper. That's actually (partially) how I got into gaming. My friends and I would come up with ideas for video games, and then we'd sit down and map out the story and the characters and the level design. That's kinda why old school platformers like DKC and Sonic hold a special place in my heart, because those were the games that inspired me to pursue the arts. But even back then, I was never very good at video games. I enjoyed them, sure, but it wasn't until college that I'd say I became a gamer.

Before that, I mostly just played games for their artwork. And yes, video games are art. More on that in a later post, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, Br1ste said:

I also hate that argument. Living in CT, I hear that all the time about the UConn Women's Basketball team. There is no doubt that they are probably the greatest dynasty of any sports team in any sport in history...having said that...I used to tend bar and would ALWAYS have people that would come in and say how they would beat the UConn men in a game. That is a ridiculous thought. The men are just too tall and too athletic and no matter how fundamentally sound and fun to watch the women may be...to think they could stand any chance against a D1 men's program is asinine. 

It is, and I think most people say it in jest, but there are those out there who truly believe a team like Alabama could beat the Browns. In reality, the Browns are only a few key players (or plays, depending on the week) away from competing against the best teams in the NFL. I'm not sure cyanide pills are the answer, but the GM has his work cut out for him. A few years ago, I said what the Browns need is consistency. Get a good head coach and give him at least three years to turn the team around. Well, they tried that, and it hasn't worked out very well. So I'm going to my Plan B. Get an established quarterback. No more drafting QBs. We already know they can't do that. But bring in a guy like Alex Smith or Eli Manning who have proven they can be successful, and then focus on surrounding them with talent. Oh, and bring in Peyton as a GM. Just saying. #BestEver

(Did I just hashtag?)

53 minutes ago, donut_plz said:

@Cassylvania CFL to me is the Canadian Football League. Not sure why we still have the CFL to be honest though as most of us canuckleheads watch NFL instead. Maybe its the differences in CFL, longer and wider fields, longer end zones, different placement of uprights, only 3 downs. IMO less downs makes for less throwing plays and plenty of rushes that make for a more boring game. I don't generally pay to much attention unless its the Grey Cup game but I do try to watch as many Seahawks games as possible.

My bad, that's what it is. I probably watch the CFL as much as college football. I just can't get into them. As much as I complain about the major issues in the NFL (too many flags, how playoff seeding works, trying to figure out on a weekly basis what constitutes a catch, etc.), it has always struck me as the most fun sport to watch (not necessarily play), because there is a nice balance between offense and defense, between good teams and bad teams, and between too many games and too few games. I assume you're a hockey fan, which is also a great sport to watch. Arguably the best if you're there in person. But my issue with hockey is that each team plays so many games -- and has such a high chance of making the playoffs -- that the significance of each game is greatly diminished from, say, the NFL, where every game seems to matter. Baseball is like that too, which is why I'm not nearly as into it as I used to be. Well, and because I'm a Twins fan.

Are the Seahawks popular among Canadians? That doesn't surprise me.

• Like 2

My bad, that's what it is. I probably watch the CFL as much as college football. I just can't get into them. As much as I complain about the major issues in the NFL (too many flags, how playoff seeding works, trying to figure out on a weekly basis what constitutes a catch, etc.), it has always struck me as the most fun sport to watch (not necessarily play), because there is a nice balance between offense and defense, between good teams and bad teams, and between too many games and too few games. I assume you're a hockey fan, which is also a great sport to watch. Arguably the best if you're there in person. But my issue with hockey is that each team plays so many games -- and has such a high chance of making the playoffs -- that the significance of each game is greatly diminished from, say, the NFL, where every game seems to matter. Baseball is like that too, which is why I'm not nearly as into it as I used to be. Well, and because I'm a Twins fan.

Yeah I watch my Oilers as much as possible but not sure what it is this year but they have been stinking it up. I finally watched the Jan 5th world juniors gold medal match I had PVRd last night too. Was a great game to watch if you are a hockey fan and my country took it home this year. ??

Are the Seahawks popular among Canadians? That doesn't surprise me.

There are a for sure some that like the seahawks like myself but with no local teams close you can pretty much pick any team and make it your fav. I have a friend whos a Saints fan and another whos a Patriots fan. Another whos a bears fan. Another whos a cowboys fan. You get where Im going with this. hah

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, Cassylvania said:

And is it just me or does Will Smith always play...you know, Will Smith?

You're not in the wrong. Because with the exception of a few films he has always been that same guy.

I watched a number of his films in the early to late 2000s. But I haven't cared at all for him in years. I enjoyed him in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and when he did his rap music. Very likeable man back then, bit of a personality on him. But he knew not to go too far off the deep end. Which Tupac Shakur and Biggie Smalls did, and sadly both were shot and killed in the midst of their prime.

Hard to believe his rap music videos are 30 years old now.

I don't know. I can't find a whole lot to care about Will Smith anymore. He's yesterdays news, and I think most would agree with me as Hollywood and Broadway are looking for younger talent. Same thing with Adam Sandler. Used to love the guy, Happy Gilmore was one of the great 1990s comedy movies. But then he just kept following the same routines over and over. Anger Management was a bit of a charm mostly because Adam Sandler and Jack Nicholson had good chemistry. The co-stars who are usually with Sandler did pretty good too. I have a couple YouTube clips of Anger Management on my old channel, one of them has over 100,000 views. So at least people still enjoy the movie.

But then Adam Sandler just kept getting into more and more mediocre films. There was that film he made in 2006 where he could change time with the click of a remote. It was stupid and overall a bad attempt at good comedy. Then came You Don't Mess With the Zohan. Bad movie, bad jokes, and very offensive. He's made other films with Chris Rock, Rob Schneider and a few of his close actor friends. I honestly don't care about him anymore.

I'm starting to find the old Saturday Night Live skits with Adam Sandler and Chris Rock to be far superior to what they're putting out now. Will Farrell is starting to fall along the same lines. He was downright hilarious in Saturday Night Live. Certainly one of the most notable and talented comedians to come out of that show. But arguably, like Saturday Night Live, he has stuck around for a bit too long.

When it comes down to the wire, I think Will Smith has a lot more range and ability than Adam Sandler. Will Smith has been in a couple dramas where he gave a decent performance. I wouldn't compare Will Smith to someone like George Clooney or Samuel L Jackson, but when given a good script with good writing material, Will can hold up on his own. Adam Sandler on the other hand is very one dimensional. If you seen one of his more recent films you can easily guess how his other ones are. Always uses the same type of jokes, always has the same co-stars around, etc etc. Haven't followed him in a long time now, as a matter of fact the last time I really followed him and was serious about his movies was a little over a decade ago.

On the topic of Will Smith, I wish Alfonso Ribeiro would make a comeback. Very talented and underrated guy in my opinion. The "Carlton Dance" was a riot back when I watched Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, but as with most sitcom actors he hasn't done much. He was a co-star in an old 1980s sitcom and he even did a commercial with Michael Jackson. Definitely something to be proud of.

------

I looked over your profile Cassy and I see you 100 percented No Man's Sky. How is that DLC? Heard it's pretty time consuming, especially with the whole not dying thing.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Ok let's see...

I can't read all of this massive tome of a thread, so let's pick 1 post, well a part of one post :)

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Before that, I mostly just played games for their artwork. And yes, video games are art. More on that in a later post, I'm sure.

Yes videogames are art

I agree <3

Bye :P

Edited by Trophy Huntress
  • Like 1

@donut_plz I figured it would be like that. In fact, it's really not that different from some places in the US. You would think most people would flock to the closest team to their home town, but I've seen everything from Patriots to Dolphins to 49ers fans here. I just cheer for all Minneapolis-based teams because I never could understand how some people can cheer for an NFL team from one city and a baseball team from another (assuming that city has multiple professional teams).

@Spaz Interesting take. I think I've talked a bit about my feelings towards Sandler here, so I'll just say that the movie Click, which you mentioned, is one of my most hated films of all time. That's a different category altogether from worst movies. I hated that film because it went from being a "comedy" (like you, I use that term loosely) to being extremely depressing, for no reason and without any warning. That made it impossible to simply shrug off as another stupid Sandler film, and I STILL have a bad taste in my mouth from having watched that, however many years ago that was. However, there are other Sandler movies that I like. They're mostly the older ones, like Happy Gilmore, but I really didn't mind The Cobbler. I wouldn't call it great, but it was...not that bad? I dunno. Maybe I set my expectations low.

Will Smith has a greater range, but he still almost always ends up playing the same guy in the same kind of movie, and (ironically) always seems out of place. Like, did anybody believe he made sense as Deadshot? Apparently so, because there are actually people out there who liked Suicide Squad.

As for No Man's Sky's DLC... Yeah, it's garbage. The three longest/hardest trophies are (1) completing the game on permadeath mode, (2) completing the game on the hardest difficulty, and (3) finding another player's base. Unless you're a masochist (which you might be, if you want to play NMS post-2016), you're going to do trophies #1 and #2 at the same time. This means you need to be extremely careful, because you can die VERY quickly in NMS. Fortunately, you can cheese it a little by quitting out of the game before the game over screen appears. I had to do that several times. The issue, though, is sometimes you might find yourself in an impossible situation, where even restarting from the last save point won't help. For example, at one point late in my campaign, I landed on a barren wasteland of a planet and had to find plutonium before I could take off in my ship again. The problem was I was running low on resources and there was nothing nearby to farm. I ran in one direction for about two minutes, finding nothing but sand, and died. Restarted the game, ran in a different direction, and died again. This happened about six or seven times before I was able to find enough plutonium to fuel my thrusters and leave that miserable rock.

I strongly recommend backing up your save to a USB stick daily, just in case.

Finding another player's base sucks too. Prior to whatever day I got that trophy, you weren't able to see bases created by other players on permadeath mode. I spent about a dozen or more hours finding a particular base near the center of the universe before I realized this, and I stubbornly parked my ship there for months until they patched that. As soon as I got that, I flew to the center, grabbed the last two trophies, and hurled the game disc out the window. Legend has it that it's still there today, buried under a mountain of freshly fallen snow...

@Trophy Huntress Hi, I agree, bye!

Edited by Cassylvania

@Cassylvania The problem is Sandler hasn’t changed. I would like to see him in a film that he himself wasn’t involved in the script in some shape or form. Happy Gilmore came out in 1996. He’s done mostly the same roles for over 20 years. Times have changed, and Sandler hasn’t adapted. 

Farrell is starting to fall in the same category. Back on Saturday Night Live, he was great and phenomenal. When he hit Hollywood, his talent started to fade. Now he just feels old. I’m sure he’s a great guy in person, but I very much feel he’s past his prime.

The reason I brought up Clooney and Jackson is because they have a wide range. They can play the bad guy, the bully, the gangster, but they can also be the family guy, the common man, the do-it-by-the-numbers. I can’t say that for Adam Sandler and Will Farrell, because they simply don’t have the talent. 

Dwayne Johnson (The Rock in WWE) has a pretty similar range to Will Smith. Both had a career prior to acting. Will Smith being a talented rapper with his friend DJ Jazzy Jeff. Dwayne Johnson being of course The Rock, a highly paid and respected wrestler in the WWE (formally WWF), more than able to hold up on his own. They had more than just acting. 

But it when it comes down to it, they don’t have the acting abilities of Clooney and Jackson. 

Unfortunately all the greats are dying off. Clint Eastwood, Sean Connery and Jack Nicholson might not be around much longer. When you are around their age there is a high risk of dying from natural causes. 

I honestly can’t think of anybody who is my peer and is in my generation where I can go back and say they have a lot of talent in acting. It’s sad to say and I wish I didn’t have to say it. 

In the past couple years I’ve been starting to find films that come from independent studios and those that are foreign to be a lot more engaging and interesting. There is plenty of raw talent out there, but it very rarely gets thrown in the spotlight. 

======

That sounds very brutal. I don’t know if I want to run the risk of playing many hours at a time with the fear of dying and having to worry about my own ship. 

Finding other players sounds like it’s very random. And since No Mans Sky is nowhere near as popular, you could easily spend countless hours without finding anybody.

The guide here says the DLC is very time consuming. I try to do all the DLC I can, but I might just give this one a pass. 

The base game sounds straight forward enough. The DLC sounds like you have to bang yourself against the wall until you finally finish it.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1