Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

Well, I hope everybody had a great Christmas. Mine came a little late, when I woke up this morning to discover my car was buried in about eighteen feet of snow. Why is that a good thing? Because it gives me an excuse to do nothing today but play video games and eat all the leftover Christmas goodies! Saint Nick, you spoil me.

Now, where did we leave off? Oh, yes. I played some more HZD and finally reached level 40. I did lower the difficulty (only because I knew I'd have to play through the game again on Ultra Hard), but I'm going to try to earn all of the trophies -- including the ones from the Frozen Wilds DLC -- before finishing the last mission. This way, I only have to focus on beating the game when I begin my NG+ playthrough.

As for RER... Remember how I said I was going to play it over the weekend? I lied. I mean, I did play it a bit, but I accomplished something somewhere between jack and shit. This game is like spinning my wheels in the mud. I'm putting in the time and effort, but I'm going nowhere. It's frustrating. I want to complete the Ghost Ship Chaos, but I need a partner. I could do it without a partner, but I'd need better weapons. How do I get better weapons? Farm the Ghost Ship Chaos. So, I need a partner. I could work on the bonuses and S ranks, but I need a partner for that too. Or better weapons. Hell, there's even a trophy for getting the best kind of weapon. I appear to be at an impasse, and I'm not sure how I'll ever leave.

Hopefully the Week 3 holiday sale has something to cheer me up! I sure won't be leaving the house any time soon...

• Like 1

Today was a good day. I got S rank in all but one level, got up to 135 bonuses (out of 150), ANNND a kind soul helped me clear Ghost Ship Chaos. Twice. Unfortunately, I didn't get a super rare level 50 weapon, so no trophy for me. But I guess that's okay because I still haven't even reached level 50. So no trophy there either. Still, that puts me only five trophies away from that elusive RER plat!

I also spent $80 on the holiday sale. But half of that was for Sims 4. Normally, I would go to the store and pick up a physical copy, but, um, I'm kinda trapped in my house. Like, there's literally five feet of snow outside. That's nearly over my head.

TL;DR... Tomorrow looks like another gaming day.

• Like 3

On 12/28/2017 at 10:23 AM, donut_plz said:

Hope your surviving the snow but take advantage of the extra game time! xD

Trying to. We just got hit with another snowstorm, but I'm home for the next three days, and I don't plan on going anywhere. I don't think I've ever seen this much snow in my life. And I've been to Alaska.

Well, as you can probably tell from my gamer card, I pulled another no-no. You thought I was down to only five games, but then I upped and started Sims 4. Not sure why I've waited this long to play it, but it was really only a matter of time. Fortunately, it's the kind of game I can play while watching TV or a movie, and that's exactly how I plan to spend tonight. This year has been mostly garbage, so I want to see it end on a high note.

I don't suppose I'll be adding any more new games until the next year, so how's everybody's gaming coming along? Got some 2017 goals that you're trying to finish up? Got any 2018 resolutions? For me, it will remain that elusive 100% completion rate. I know it seems like we're moving further and further away from that, but I feel it's closer than ever!

3 minutes ago, mannenntmichjens said:

Well for the first time in a long time I bought a bunch of stuff blinder than ever and most of the time it worked out pretty well. So I'm happy with it I guess :P And for goals I don't have any, because I don't care about my overall profile all that much, I just think from game to game. Which makes my thread kinda pointless now that I think about it :P

But it's still kinda refreshing to see someone aim for 100% completion without just playing Telltale game #23 or Walking Simulator #13. There's just more soul in it this way :P

I like to think so too. :)

I mean, I do like Telltale games (TFtB is probably the best game I've played this year), but it's definitely more rewarding to 100% a game that's challenging. RER almost did me in, but we got most of the hard trophies out of the way. My biggest concern now will be getting a level 50 rare weapon, which I think is only possible by farming Ghost Ship Chaos. Fortunately, it is possible to get two or three weapon cases fairly early in the level, quit, and then pray one of those is a rare weapon. I think I'll try to wrap up that game this weekend. No promises there, but I think we can make it happen.

As for your profile, I see you're playing Nioh, which I just got for Christmas! There's a very good chance we'll be tackling that soon. I've been itching to play an action RPG. You know, one that isn't HZD. Or Dragon's Dogma. Or, um, the majority of games I play.

• Like 1

I had three goals to achieve this year:

1) Get at least 26 platinums (which is one plat per two weeks)

2) Reach 70% of average completion (which I'm unable to do)

3) 100% at least half of the games I have played (which I'm unable to do as well)

This was not a productive year, but it's my last year of high school so I have to refrain from playing in excessive amounts. I'm gonna do a list of games I've completed since I started tracking them on this thread. The rest I'll have to finish until June 2018. I have to get rid of my backlog. 

Speaking of backlog I've just bought four games from the January Sale. The thing I have to reduce is getting bigger and bigger...

• Like 2

On 12/29/2017 at 3:41 PM, Cassylvania said:

so how's everybody's gaming coming along? Got some 2017 goals that you're trying to finish up? Got any 2018 resolutions? For me, it will remain that elusive 100% completion rate. I know it seems like we're moving further and further away from that, but I feel it's closer than ever!

I finally got the Final Fantasy XV 100% the other day. The online DLC was such a grind and really wasn't fun at all. The Ignis chapter I had a little more fun with. My only real goals were to keep a 100% completion rate and to get my trophies per day up to 1.00. I failed at both...Super Meat Boy will be my unicorn but my biggest 2018 goal will be to 100% that. With my second child being born in June, my playtime has dwindled to maybe an hour a night a few times a week so my trophy per day count is still sub 1.

My immediate goal is to 100% Final Fantasy IX. That is the only current Final Fantasy game I haven't 100%. After that, I'm going to play an easier game. I pre-ordered The Fractured But Whole but am so far behind on my games that I haven't played it yet. After that I have the Shadow of Mordor and then Demon's Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. Other than the South Park game, I feel like each of the other games may take me a month or two to beat, so I'm not sure what I'll do past those. I also have Valkyria Chronicles collecting dust that I'd like to finish, but we'll see what comes out between now and then. I've pre-ordered God of War IV, so if that's released on time, I'll have that in the mix as well. It'd be great to hit 50 platinums in 2018, but I'm going to temper my expectations given I have such limited time right now.

I'm extremely jealous that you are snowed in right now. I love snow and I would love to be snowed in, but here in CT we don't get that kind of snow often. The most I've lived through at once was maybe 2 or 3 feet, and that was over several weeks so we were able to keep the roads pretty clear except for the days of the snow. I hope you don't get stir crazy and get to enjoy the games...after all...all work and no play makes Cassie a dull girl!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

I'm extremely jealous that you are snowed in right now. I love snow and I would love to be snowed in, but here in CT we don't get that kind of snow often. The most I've lived through at once was maybe 2 or 3 feet, and that was over several weeks so we were able to keep the roads pretty clear except for the days of the snow. I hope you don't get stir crazy and get to enjoy the games...after all...all work and no play makes Cassie a dull girl!

Well, it doesn't help that I have a cold too. I've mostly been playing Sims 4. The platinum for this...will take a while. There are trophies for reaching max rank in each career, as well as each skill. I've probably put about 20 hours into this game already, and I'm not even close to maxing out anything yet. And I only have a household of three (well, four, now that I married off one of my Sims), so each of them are going to have to take up several careers during their lifetime. Which is unlimited. Because I turned off aging.

But that won't stop me from removing ladders from swimming pools. :devil:

Good job on FF15! I'll be excited once you get to the Souls series. I am so, so, so hoping for a Demon's/Dark Souls remaster on the PS4, now that the servers for Demon's are shutting down. Sure, farming the PBS again would suck, I've been wanting to play those games again for a very long time. Hopefully Nioh will satisfy some of that thirst.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some cough drops to take. And then back to the Sims!

• Like 1

Just been nosying through this topic and your profile - your trophy list is exactly how I hope mine will turn out in the future! It's a pretty impressive profile you've got! :D

I either own or want to own almost all of the games you have! So many great ones in there! And once you have HZD/Dragon's Dogma/RER/Sims at 100% you'll be at 100 plats and pretty much 100%!

I've heard Nioh is really difficult (but in a good way)? Is that you're reward/punishment for getting 100 plats? :P

• Like 3

Ok. I've made the 2017 games list (only the ones I've been tracking on this thread) and a Complete-Before-June Games for 2018, which are basically games from the list that I didn't manage to finish. I hope I'll reduce my backlog this year.

2017 Completed Games

Spoiler

God of War II (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Get Even (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Child of Light (PS4) - DONE (100%) 

Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

101 Ways To Die (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Hue (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Layers of Fear (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Maize (PS4) - DONE (100%)

The Park (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Batman Arkham Knight (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Aragami (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

God of War: Chains of Olympus (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Slayaway Camp (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

List of Eggplant Farm Games 2018

[DUE JUNE 2018] Spy Chameleon (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (59%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (10%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Kholat (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (14%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (91%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Deadpool (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (18%)

• Like 2

@Kristycism Thank you so much! Yeah, I was considering going for 100 plats/100% at the same time, but I'm not sure I want any of those games as my 100th platinum. Only RER has a decent trophy image, and...well, I'm not sure if you've read the parts of this topic where I was playing that game, but that game has given me fits. Still, I'm trying to only stick to games that I know will be good, or that I think are worth a chance. Or that are free on PSN. But I think I'm going to be a little more leery about those ones moving forward... *looks at Spy Chameleon*

I have no clue what Nioh is like, other than a few short video clips. I guess you could say it's a reward/punishment for me. Mostly, I just need my Souls fix. I likely won't begin it until I trim my list down a little further, though. I want to keep my list of "active" games as low as possible moving forward. That's my new year's resolution!

@RockyJokerPL Very nice. I've only played one of those 2018 eggplant games (obviously the worst of the bunch), but that looks like a reasonable goal. At least you aren't doing something insane, like trying to complete thirteen horror-themed games in a two-month period. Surely you have more in your backlog than that, though! I mean, I have at least that many games on physical disc that I haven't even started yet...plus 36 games in my backlog folder. I expect to start one of those shortly.

Anyway, just to sorta wrap up 2017, let me say that I finally reached the tipping point of Sims 4. After struggling to get my family going, I finally have the house complete and the trophies are pouring in! I sped up time to get some of them, but there really isn't much else to do. I want to move to a smaller house, but first I gotta wait for the astronaut in the family to max out his Rocket Science skill, so I can lock him in a room without food or water. Once he's dead, I can WooHoo with his ghost for a quick trophy, make friends with Death for another one, and be 20% of the way to the Black Widow trophy (having a Sim outlive five spouses). And if that wasn't one of the most psychotic things I've ever said, just wait until you see what I do with the rest of my family!

I still have a bit of a cold, but that's not going to stop me from having a little fun today.

• Like 1

So Cassy, with the playoff teams set...how do you like the Vikings chances to become the first ever home team to host a Super Bowl? The NFC is definitely a tougher gambit to travel, but with Wentz injury, I think you guys are looking good. The Patriots got a huge break with Cinci knocking off the Ravens...the Ravens always give the Pats fits and now there's a good chance they will face KC again. I don't think the odds are too good that KC will be able to come into Foxboro twice in one year and beat the Patriots and neither Buffalo or Tennessee scare me. I'm thinking it will be a Vikings vs Patriots Super Bowl...any predictions?

There's a good chance I get snowed in tomorrow (yay!) They are predicting 12-15 inches of snow and 30-40 mph winds. My wife's work has already been canceled and I'm hoping to get a 5:00am wake up call that I don't have to go in either. My wife picked up the DVD of 'Little Women' from the library to watch during the storm (I told her we could have just streamed it but she was feeling nostalgic) so that should give me a couple of hours to play Final Fantasy IX while the kids nap.

It's been a quiet week from you...are you the Black Widow yet?

• Like 3

Okay, I'm finally feeling a little better. Started a new (hopefully temporary) job, so that's been wearing me down a bit. Can't let 2018 get the better of me yet, though.

@Br1ste Vegas is giving the best odds in the NFC to the Vikings, which has me pretty pumped. I'm actually going to cheer for Atlanta this weekend, because I think the LA Rams are the biggest threat. That would put the winner of Eagles/Falcons in the NFC Championship game, and I think the Vikings can beat either of them. Saints/Panthers will be a good watch. I'm probably going to cheer for the Panthers -- this week only -- because of the hard-to-beat-the-same-team-twice-in-a-season rule. I very much think the Saints could come into Minneapolis and walk away with a win in a shootout. I don't want it to come to that.

As the AFC... Yeah, the Titans and Bills are the byproducts of a top-heavy conference. We all know it's going to come down to NE, PIT, and KC. The Jags might surprise people. But I think you're right. The AFC needed the Ravens in the playoffs to shake things up. I don't think KC can overcome their shortcomings, and I say that as someone who has eagerly picked them to win the Super Bowl every year for the past three years. And the Steelers can't get out of their own heads when they play the Patriots. Kinda like the Browns when they play any team. That's not an insult to either team... Just an observation. They get it in their head that something is going to happen, and it happens. Self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing.

I obviously want a Vikings Super Bowl. Pats/Vikes is the Vegas pick, and it's hard to argue against. A Pennsylvania Super Bowl would be kinda cool too. And there's a great story in a Bills/Vikings Super Bowl, since they're both 0-4 in the big game. For right now, I'm going to just enjoy the games this weekend. Oh, and I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I got a Case Keenum jersey for Christmas. Now he has to stay with the team. I can't return that.

Snow is still ridiculous here. I know some places south of us have already closed down schools tomorrow. No such luck for me. If I can get through the day, though, I can enjoy a (very well-deserved) three-day weekend.

Anyway, it's still one girl and three guys living in the household. I want to off the astronaut, but it takes FOREVER to advance a career. Mostly because you have to max out certain skills, and then increase their job performance, and then pray to the RNG gods that they'll level up. If it's this hard to get a promotion in real life, I might never get my own place.

Hopefully I'll get to play some more games this weekend. I just dinged my first trophy of the year, I think.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Anyway, it's still one girl and three guys living in the household. I want to off the astronaut, but it takes FOREVER to advance a career. Mostly because you have to max out certain skills, and then increase their job performance, and then pray to the RNG gods that they'll level up. If it's this hard to get a promotion in real life, I might never get my own place.

It has been a long day and I completely forgot you were playing the Sims, I was like "Woah Cassy lives withan Astronaut? that's cool"... I am not a clever person.

I always wished I lived somewhere that had snow but hearing how much of a pain it is for everyone who deals with it all the time I might be changing my stance on that.

• Like 2

@Dessane I love snow, but we have so much here that they're literally bringing in dump trucks to haul it away because there's nowhere else to put it. And we're about to get even more. At least you folks down south are getting a little taste of the fun.

SPEAKING of fun, this has been an awful week and I am so ready for some gaming action. What will we be playing? Well, even though I know we're trying to trim our active backlog, I think all of this snow is telling me that it's time to begin Setsuna. I know that seems counterintuitive to the plan to, you know, finish my list, but sometimes you got to dig a bigger hole to get your truck out of the snow.

And that's not just a well-placed metaphor. That was literally my yesterday.

• Like 2

@Cassylvania you will have fun with Setsuna. I thought it was a great throwback to an old school jrpg. I really need to get back and finish up that title. I took a break as I couldn’t wrap my head around the fluxation part of battle and it’s pretty much the only thing I need to grind out before beating the final boss. You might just give me the push to take another crack at it. Would be nice to have it finished up before Lost Sphear drops. ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

@Dessane I love snow, but we have so much here that they're literally bringing in dump trucks to haul it away because there's nowhere else to put it. And we're about to get even more. At least you folks down south are getting a little taste of the fun.

SPEAKING of fun, this has been an awful week and I am so ready for some gaming action. What will we be playing? Well, even though I know we're trying to trim our active backlog, I think all of this snow is telling me that it's time to begin Setsuna. I know that seems counterintuitive to the plan to, you know, finish my list, but sometimes you got to dig a bigger hole to get your truck out of the snow.

And that's not just a well-placed metaphor. That was literally my yesterday.

I'm a bit further south than that :P it was 95 degrees here yesterday (i think I converted temperature correctly, 35 celsius) so definitely no snow on the horizon for us. Perfect beach weather though. Been meaning to check ot Setsuna looking forward to seeing what you think of it. I'm planning to finish off Hellblade tonight unless I crash after work

• Like 2

Crap patch...I like it :) When I was a kid, at the Memorial Day parade/fair, they used to have a "Cow Chip Raffle." For those wondering...a "Cow Chip Raffle" is where they would grid off a field (similar to a Super Bowl Squares grid) and people would buy squares. Then they would release a cow into the field and whichever square it pooped in was the winner. I never stuck around long enough to watch that portion of the fair, and I've never heard of it anywhere else...but considering your garden-y theme...I thought it might be relevant.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:27 PM, Cassylvania said:

Pats/Vikes is the Vegas pick

Ughh...I didn't realize I was picking chalk. I don't ever trust that things will all work out the way Vegas pegs it. While I'm rooting for that Super Bowl match up...now I'm thinking one of those teams won't make it. Considering the ESPN article that came out today about the Pats (which I think is mostly BS), maybe that distraction keeps them from making the big game.

Having never played a Pokemon game, I am not in a position to give you any advice there. I think that came out when I was in like 8th grade. I remember thinking I was too cool for Pokemon (while playing Magic the Gathering at the same time...) so never got into it. My brother played, but I have no real concept of the game. I did play Chrono Trigger though. It was actually one of the few games on the SNES that I didn't play until I beat. I think Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were the two games RPG style games I didn't finish. I would love to see that game released with trophies to give me the motivation to go back and play it.

Survived the "Bomb Cyclone" without losing power and got a few hours of FFIX under my belt. No trophies though. Now it's just bitter cold for the next few days. Insane how much snow you're getting...I don't know how the Native Americans survived this crap for thousands of years before houses and heaters and trophy hunting were around.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Br1ste said:

Crap patch...I like it :) When I was a kid, at the Memorial Day parade/fair, they used to have a "Cow Chip Raffle." For those wondering...a "Cow Chip Raffle" is where they would grid off a field (similar to a Super Bowl Squares grid) and people would buy squares. Then they would release a cow into the field and whichever square it pooped in was the winner. I never stuck around long enough to watch that portion of the fair, and I've never heard of it anywhere else...but considering your garden-y theme...I thought it might be relevant.

That...is probably the most disgusting thing I've heard all day. I love it.

Maybe we'll do something like that here in the patch, except we'll assign a video game to each box. Want to play something new? Let Tipper, our local cow, make that decision for you!

Ughh...I didn't realize I was picking chalk. I don't ever trust that things will all work out the way Vegas pegs it. While I'm rooting for that Super Bowl match up...now I'm thinking one of those teams won't make it. Considering the ESPN article that came out today about the Pats (which I think is mostly BS), maybe that distraction keeps them from making the big game.

Yeah, they even just ran a statistical model that had the same outcome. You know what that means.

It's going to be anything but Pats/Vikes.

Having never played a Pokemon game, I am not in a position to give you any advice there. I think that came out when I was in like 8th grade. I remember thinking I was too cool for Pokemon (while playing Magic the Gathering at the same time...) so never got into it. My brother played, but I have no real concept of the game. I did play Chrono Trigger though. It was actually one of the few games on the SNES that I didn't play until I beat. I think Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were the two games RPG style games I didn't finish. I would love to see that game released with trophies to give me the motivation to go back and play it.

I was looking through upcoming PS4 releases today and saw Secret of Mana. I've never played it before, but I assume that's going to be a remake. Could be a good time to check it out. I think it's scheduled to be released in March. You know what that means.

It's not coming out until June.

Survived the "Bomb Cyclone" without losing power and got a few hours of FFIX under my belt. No trophies though. Now it's just bitter cold for the next few days. Insane how much snow you're getting...I don't know how the Native Americans survived this crap for thousands of years before houses and heaters and trophy hunting were around.

I think the snow is done for now. Supposed to be in the 40s next week, according to the weather app on my phone. You know what that means.

We're going to get hit with an avalanche.

(Speaking of that, where has Ava been?)

Well, I'm beginning my Setsuna journey! It really is the land of snow. The music is amazing, though. The piano is my favorite instrument by far.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

(Speaking of that, where has Ava been?)

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Years... a 'lil bit late for that, I appear to have been summoned! Been busy with the holidays, been mostly playing Dark Souls, Saints Row 2 (PS3), and Pokemon Ultra Moon (3DS) while I was away. Funny how the only boss in Dark Souls that's given me trouble thus far is considered the easiest; Pinwheel, it's magic would 1 hit me before I could get close enough to deal damage. Rage quit the game after reaching the Painted World of Ariamis, the area is too difficult, and I can't get out of it. As for Pokemon Ultra Moon, the first island had way too much hand-holding, I dislike a lot of the new features; new as in... past gen 3, haven't played gen 4 - 6.

During christmas I've gained 4 manga to my collection, 2 volumes of Drifters, and 2 volumes of Platinum End, along with a $25 PSN card. Spent $15 of it on Outlast + DLC, and Final Fantasy VII. Was tough deciding whether to get those two games, or Final Fantasy XV for $20. But I kind of want a physical copy of FFXV, so I went with the former choice.

• Like 1

@Avalynch Well, speak of the devil! Did you do a snow dance over my town? Because we're about to get even more snow tomorrow. We're also going to finally have our family Christmas thing, since real Christmas was cancelled. I better be able to open the rest of my presents, Ava.

You had trouble with Pinwheel? I think he dies pretty quickly to magic. One of the things about the Souls games is that some bosses/parts of the game are significantly easier or harder, depending on your build. I've always played through the original Dark Souls as a mage, so I don't know how a sword-and-board character would work (even though that's my standard build on every other Souls game). The Painted World of Ariamis is a cruel trick by the developers, because you stumble across it when you're too early in the game to be prepared, but you're forced to complete it once you enter. Also, it's full of snow. JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE WORLD.

And agreed on Pokemon in general. Heck, maybe games in general. But with Pokemon, it's like, the games have been around for over 20 years. We know the basic formula. You don't have to keep explaining it to us. One of the main reasons I've drifted from the series over the years is because of all the ridiculous new features (gimmicks, I call them) and the endless dialogue boxes and tutorials. I wish they'd come out with a Pokemon game where they'd throw you in the middle of the woods with a Pokedex and a handful of Pokeballs and tell you to figure it out yourself.

Hence my Pokemon Island idea from a few pages ago.

Setsuna update! I killed a wolf on an airship. I didn't really need to announce that. I just thought it'd sound cool.

(I was right.)

• Like 4