Cassylvania's Miserable Little Pile of Platinums

Cassylvania

13 hours ago, Br1ste said:

I have to say, that was one of the most exciting endings to a game I have ever seen. I was getting ready to blame the officials on some blown calls on the Vikings bad luck for losing. Your receivers were getting mugged on each pass, and they weren't throwing flags. After the Saints converted that 4th and 10, I similarly thought the game was over. I'm not even a Vikings fan and when Keenum hit Diggs and Williams completely whiffed on the tackle, I was jumping up and down. I felt like the biggest play of the game before that pass was the Vikings D stopping Ingram on that 3rd and 1 to give them a chance to come back down the field. Other than the Patriots game, every game was pretty exciting and that game was an awesome way to cap off the weekend. I think Foles is going to have a real tough time next week and I think you guys have a really good chance to host the Super Bowl.

I sure hope so. Losing to the Eagles after that win would be horrifying. Still, I was at the Vikings/Eagles game last year with my family. I remember telling someone at the time that this would be a preview of the NFC Championship game (because the Vikings were 5-0 and the Eagles were 4-1). Neither team made the playoffs, but it turns out I was just off by a year. That stadium is extremely unkind to visiting teams, though. I think the more points that are scored in this game, the better the chances are that the Vikings win. If this ends up being a 13-10 kind of affair, I'd give the edge to the Eagles. But if we start seeing 20 points or more on the scoreboard, I'm not sure the Eagles' offense can keep up.

My favorite Williams meme so far is the one where he is sliding down the icy drive way. My wife thinks they are mean (and they are) but some of them are pretty good too. The kids a rookie and I think he'll bounce back ok.

I thought some of them were hilarious (as were some of the reactions from Saints fans). That said, I'm mostly sticking to the good-spirited side of things right now because (a) I've been there before, and (b) it'll give me something to look forward to next week if my team is knocked out.

I am an old enough Red Sox fan where I can tell you I get how you feel here 100%. Pre-2004 World Series it was heartache after heartache. The past 15 years have wiped away all of that misery, but I do remember what it was like to constantly have your heart in your throat waiting for that inevitable moment of failure. While I'm still hoping the Pats win the Super Bowl...If they had to lose, I hope it's to the Vikings. I would hate to see you get to be that 100 year old lady, still waiting to see her team win :)

If the Vikings keep playing games like this, I'll be lucky to see 40.

41 minutes ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Another reason I will never touch this game. The game forces you to customize your character in certain ways. Also, it involves meeting The Messiah and I am a devout Catholic who thinks that J.C. should not be toting Uzi guns. :P

Are you talking about the first South Park game? I liked it. I still need to play the new one, but it hasn't been high on my priorities list. In fact, video games in general haven't. I've been letting Sims autoplay (up to 600k Simoleons now), but I just haven't had the time to work on Setsuna or HZD. It also seems like forever since I got my last platinum.

I guess you could say this has been the winter of my discontent. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Been a weird week. Haven't had much time for gaming, but I finally got the Rosebud trophy (one million Simoleons), thanks to the ability of Sims 4 to play itself. (You do need to check in occasionally to select pop-up menu options, and/or to recharge your controller's battery.) Right now, I'm working on Basketcase, which requires getting all emotions on a single Sim within 24 hours. That sounds easy, until you realize there are 15 (!) emotions, and you often have to wait for one to clear before another one can be enabled. I've tried to get this trophy a couple of times, but I think I finally have a decent set-up... The trick is getting as many items as you can get that have emotional auras (e.g. paintings), and then planning out a route for each emotion. For example, you can get Embarrassment by being rude to someone and then flirting with them, Angry by declaring that person an enemy, and then Dazed by losing a fight. The hardest emotion I've found to get is Tense, so I'm waiting until one of my Sims comes home from work feeling that way. Once that happens, the game is afoot.

Also, getting pumped for football tomorrow. I'm going over to my friend's house for the first game. He's an (ugh) Eagles fan, but I assume we'll be cheering for the same team in that game at least... Though, honestly, if the Vikings are destined to win the Super Bowl or whatever, I think it'd be a much better story if it was against Brady. Speaking of the GOAT, is anybody really buying this story about his hand? I thought it was a non-story, but missing practice should raise some eyebrows. Still, I think Brady could throw left-handed and put up 400 yards and 3 TDs. If the Jags want to win this thing, they better not let the game get out of hand early.

As for the Vikes... Think it's stupid that the Eagles get home field advantage because of "games in common," when the Vikings had a much harder schedule. Sure, they beat the Panthers, but the Eagles only played two only playoff teams (and lost one of those). The Vikings played five playoff teams (and won four). If that was one rule I'd like to see changed next year, it'd be that one. Games over a full season should matter more than any one game (unless it's head-to-head, of course). Still, I'd love for the Vikes to avenge that loss in Philly last year. That stadium is loud, and I still believe Nick Foles is a starting QB. If the Eagles take an early lead, the Vikings might not be able to catch up. On the other hand, if Foles comes out throwing picks, I think that crowd will turn against him quickly. That's going to be the deciding factor in this game, I think.

The outcome of tomorrow's games will greatly affect my gaming performance over the next two weeks. Here's to a Pats/Vikings SB... *raises glass*

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Hey everyone! Been a weird week. Haven't had much time for gaming,

Ha I was just about to type this. It's been busy at work and I've been so exhausted when I get home that I've been passing out on the couch before my usual video gaming hour. I'm happy your PS4 was able to get a trophy for you!

Speaking of the GOAT, is anybody really buying this story about his hand? I thought it was a non-story, but missing practice should raise some eyebrows.

This is all anybody has been able to talk about in the New England area sports radio. I have heard so many conspiracy theories about it, most really comical. As a Pats fan, I'm pretty nervous though since it is his right thumb. I read some articles that he looked fine in practice, but if he's having trouble gripping the ball and isn't quite as accurate, the Jags defense has been very opportunistic and that could be a difference.

Though, honestly, if the Vikings are destined to win the Super Bowl or whatever, I think it'd be a much better story if it was against Brady.

I agree...and I'd rather the Pats lose to the Vikes if they have to lose to any of the remaining teams. Losing to Bortles would hurt and between the Vikes and Eagles, I'd rather the lose a title to Vikings fans.

As for the Vikes... Think it's stupid that the Eagles get home field advantage because of "games in common," when the Vikings had a much harder schedule. Sure, they beat the Panthers, but the Eagles only played two only playoff teams (and lost one of those). The Vikings played five playoff teams (and won four). If that was one rule I'd like to see changed next year, it'd be that one. Games over a full season should matter more than any one game (unless it's head-to-head, of course).

This is actually a really good idea. I haven't had too many 'tie-breaker scenario' conversations so I have never heard this idea brought up. Probably since the Pats have only really had that issue in 2008 when they went 11-5 with Matt Cassell and missed the playoffs due to tie-breakers, but your idea seems much more fair.

4 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

The outcome of tomorrow's games will greatly affect my gaming performance over the next two weeks. Here's to a Pats/Vikings SB... *raises glass*

I'll raise a glass to this! Good luck tomorrow!!

Sorry Cassy...that was a tough way to go out. I hope your Eagles friend took it easy on you. I thought you guys had it in the bag with how sharp they looked on their first drive...but that Eagles D is relentless was dominant. Nick Foles also looked fantastic...probably earned himself a starting job next year. Probably won't hear from you for a few days...but I hope a few drinks makes it easier for you. Is it better to lose in that fashion or in a nail-biting heart-breaker...I prefer to be blown out so it gives you some time to mentally prepare...both suck but losing in a game like last week would have been harder to get over I think...when you're up to it let me know if you're the same!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Br1ste said:

Sorry Cassy...that was a tough way to go out. I hope your Eagles friend took it easy on you. I thought you guys had it in the bag with how sharp they looked on their first drive...but that Eagles D is relentless was dominant. Nick Foles also looked fantastic...probably earned himself a starting job next year. Probably won't hear from you for a few days...but I hope a few drinks makes it easier for you. Is it better to lose in that fashion or in a nail-biting heart-breaker...I prefer to be blown out so it gives you some time to mentally prepare...both suck but losing in a game like last week would have been harder to get over I think...when you're up to it let me know if you're the same!

Oh, no. I'm fine. Like I said last week, I had already accepted the Vikings' loss long before this game. As far as I'm concerned, they were just playing with house money. But it was nice to see them actually win a playoff game for once. They have a pretty big cap space going into next season, a (good) QB situation to figure out, and Dalvin Cook will be back. If they play their cards right, they'll be right back in the mix next year. Won't be quite as nice as getting the chance to host a home Super Bowl game, but maybe it'll be better to not have that pressure on their backs.

What kind of loss would I prefer? They all suck, but I can stomach this much easier than choking away a big lead, missing a chip shot field goal, or throwing a pick at the end of the game when you're already in field goal range and only need three points to win. Those are tough because you can point to a single player or play and say, "That right there cost us the game." Here, there's no question that the Eagles were the better team. This game reminded me a lot of the Rams/Vikings game earlier in the year. In that game, the Rams went right down the field and scored, before being completely shut out the rest of the game by a smothering Vikings' defense. That's just how some teams are built, and this time the roles were reversed.

I was happy to see the Jags put up a fight. Felt bad for Bortles, though. Dude was crying at the end of the game. That's another team that I think will be back next year, though... Think Bortles deserves to remain the starter, but we'll see what they decide to do. Either way, did you ever doubt Brady was going to come back? Because I didn't. Once that became a one score game, I knew it was over. And there's a very good chance they'll be hoisting the Lombardi in a couple of weeks. As good as the Eagles looked tonight, I think a lot of that was due to having home field advantage... Not sure the Vikes would've fared much better at home, but the Eagles weren't letting anybody walk into their stadium with a win. On neutral ground, I gotta go with the Pats.

That said, we'll see what happens with Brady's thumb (I assume it's fine) and Gronk (I assume he's fine). My PLAN, had the Vikings beat the Eagles tonight, was going to be to get to 99 platinums and then trigger #100 on the day of the Super Bowl, if they won it all. I had a couple of viking-related games in mind for that. Since that's not what happened, though, I'll probably shoot for platinum #100 on Valentine's Day, which was my original plan. Gonna need to start popping some trophies, though. Sims 4 is going way, way too slow.

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Well, time to get on with gaming! We only have three weeks to earn four platinums, and I have no idea what games we'll be playing. I do, however, have a YUGE backlog with several games that look like easy platinums, if we want to go that route. (We may have to because I haven't made much headway in the five platless games I currently have going.)

One thing I kinda noticed on my trophy card -- and this isn't something that I normally pay attention to -- is that I seem to have plateaued in my country rank. At the rate I'm collecting trophies, I don't seem to be able to move any higher than about 9000th. The actual place on the leaderboard doesn't matter to me (because I've always been quality over quantity), but I do find it interesting that there are roughly 9k people in the United States who are more into trophy hunting than me. I would've thought there'd be more.

But at least I can say I'm.... over 9000.

(See, I can be hip too.)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Oh, no. I'm fine. Like I said last week, I had already accepted the Vikings' loss long before this game. As far as I'm concerned, they were just playing with house money. But it was nice to see them actually win a playoff game for once. They have a pretty big cap space going into next season, a (good) QB situation to figure out, and Dalvin Cook will be back. If they play their cards right, they'll be right back in the mix next year. Won't be quite as nice as getting the chance to host a home Super Bowl game, but maybe it'll be better to not have that pressure on their backs.

Well I'm happy that it didn't get you down. I think they were playing with house money too considering some of the injuries to key players they had, but it still stinks to get that close and lose. I saw an interesting stat today that dome teams are 0-13 now in NFC championship games that are played outdoors. It's a random stat, but unbelievable to me that there hasn't been at least one. I wished the Vikings played outside since I think it would be a huge home field advantage...but I get it...it's cold in Minnesota.

What kind of loss would I prefer? They all suck, but I can stomach this much easier than choking away a big lead, missing a chip shot field goal, or throwing a pick at the end of the game when you're already in field goal range and only need three points to win. Those are tough because you can point to a single player or play and say, "That right there cost us the game." Here, there's no question that the Eagles were the better team.

Pretty much how I feel too. When the Ravens blew the doors off of the Patriots in Foxboro back in 2010...I remember when Ray Rice rushed for like an 80 yard TD right at the beginning, I was pissed, but I could tell right then what kind of game it was going to be. Wasn't nearly as painful as Tyree (granted that was a Super Bowl but..)

I was happy to see the Jags put up a fight. Felt bad for Bortles, though. Dude was crying at the end of the game. That's another team that I think will be back next year, though... Think Bortles deserves to remain the starter, but we'll see what they decide to do. Either way, did you ever doubt Brady was going to come back? Because I didn't.

I was happy it was a good game too. It was really chippy and Bortles looked great early. I was legit concerned because the Jags came to play. I knew they were going to lose when they turtled at half time. They had 50+ second to go in the half with two timeouts and took a knee. They were playing not to lose and I knew that would kill them in the second half. They relied to heavily on their D and just stopped being aggressive on offense. I was a little scared when Lewis fumbled on that trick play...I thought we were running out of time to be turning the ball over like that, but the D came up big and got the ball right back. Amendola was so clutch. That catch at the back of the end zone was an amazing grab. Brady placed it perfectly and Amendola showed excellent body control. I think this Super Bowl will end up being a close game. Philly just seems to be clicking right now.

My PLAN, had the Vikings beat the Eagles tonight, was going to be to get to 99 platinums and then trigger #100 on the day of the Super Bowl, if they won it all. I had a couple of viking-related games in mind for that.

This would have been pretty cool. Kind of a bummer it didn't work out that way. Is there a PS4 game like starring Icarus from the NES? That would be a fun game to plat on Valentines day.

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, time to get on with gaming! We only have three weeks to earn four platinums

I think you could easily plat HZD if you were so inclined...it's really not that hard and you have a lot of the trophies for a plat done already. You also seem pretty close with RER and Batman (I know they are the bane of your existence...but you're so close!!) That would be three of the four...I'll try to brainstorm a Valentine's Day game for you for 100...

So as it turns out...Valentines day isn't a big theme in gaming. When I looked up some ideas, a lot of the games recommended had no platinum and those that did seem like they will take forever to beat. Final Fantasy X, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 and Mass Effect were on a lot of lists. Not sure if any of them are up your ally or if you have enough time to complete one for V-Day. You could do the new South Park game...Tweek and Craig have a blossoming romance that could be fun.

It's the first weekend with no football in quite some time so I am going to try and be productive this Sunday. I will try to finish FFIX. It is taking me much longer than I hoped and then I will be starting Fractured but whole. How's your week been? You out from under the snow yet? I also notice we are a heartbreak patch now...anything other than Valentines day your inspiration?

Edited by Br1ste
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 10:45 PM, Br1ste said:

Well I'm happy that it didn't get you down. I think they were playing with house money too considering some of the injuries to key players they had, but it still stinks to get that close and lose. I saw an interesting stat today that dome teams are 0-13 now in NFC championship games that are played outdoors. It's a random stat, but unbelievable to me that there hasn't been at least one. I wished the Vikings played outside since I think it would be a huge home field advantage...but I get it...it's cold in Minnesota.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd build the new stadium with a retractable roof. That was the one good thing I thought would come out of that Seahawks/Vikings playoff game a few years ago. They played so well in the cold that I thought maybe there was a chance they'd be an outdoor team. Can't really blame the weather for this game, though. But I do wonder if the Vikings would've won if they had been given home field advantage because of strength of schedule instead of games in common...

It was really chippy and Bortles looked great early. I was legit concerned because the Jags came to play. I knew they were going to lose when they turtled at half time. They had 50+ second to go in the half with two timeouts and took a knee. They were playing not to lose and I knew that would kill them in the second half. They relied to heavily on their D and just stopped being aggressive on offense.

Funny you should say that. I said the same thing at the same time. A minute to go and they just take a knee... I mean, sure, I get the idea. Any team would be happy to go into halftime on the road against the Patriots. But in reality, you're giving up a possession. I even said sarcastically, near the end of the game, "Gee, if only you guys had the ball one more time and could have a chance to score." If the Eagles want to pull off the upset, they better have that killer instinct. Otherwise, this may be Brady's easiest Super Bowl ring.

This would have been pretty cool. Kind of a bummer it didn't work out that way. Is there a PS4 game like starring Icarus from the NES? That would be a fun game to plat on Valentines day.

I think you could easily plat HZD if you were so inclined...it's really not that hard and you have a lot of the trophies for a plat done already. You also seem pretty close with RER and Batman (I know they are the bane of your existence...but you're so close!!) That would be three of the four...I'll try to brainstorm a Valentine's Day game for you for 100...

Well, remember, I have the plat for Arkham Knight already. Just not the DLC. HZD would be an easy plat, I think, but I'm probably going to do all of the DLC before I begin NG+. And RER... Ugh. I'm going to give that game ONE more chance. I just need to get really lucky. It really comes down to who I roll as a partner, and whether or not I get the right loot at the end of the level. That's the difference between two hours to the platinum or two hundred.

1 minute ago, Br1ste said:

So as it turns out...Valentines day isn't a big theme in gaming. When I looked up some ideas, a lot of the games recommended had no platinum and those that did seem like they will take forever to beat. Final Fantasy X, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 5 and Mass Effect were on a lot of lists. Not sure if any of them are up your ally or if you have enough time to complete one for V-Day. You could do the new South Park game...Tweek and Craig have a blossoming romance that could be fun.

It's the first weekend with no football in quite some time so I am going to try and be productive this Sunday. I will try to finish FFIX. It is taking me much longer than I hoped and then I will be starting Fractured but whole. How's your week been? You out from under the snow yet?

Yeah, finally. The roads were kinda icy this week, but it's starting to warm up. Didn't get any gaming done. I want to at least finish off my Sims family before I move onto something else... Don't need to do much. There are only two trophies left that I need to do on this playthrough. The rest are going to require making a new game and...either get really lucky, or let the game play itself on high speed for a few hours. Either way, we gotta make some headway this weekend if we want to have a chance for V-Day 100!

Oh, and by the way... We're a heartbreak patch now. Because of Vikings and V-Day.

• Like 1

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've posted something here. Well... sorry for my absence. I haven't also been able to read all posts. So I have a good deal of reading ahead. I came down with a flu yesterday so I'm currently at home doing math and playing games. I've decided to let you know I'm still alive and kicking. I've been playing only on weekends since the beginning of the year. Thus, there's not much to share. However...

I've played and completed Firewatch. I've been waiting for a sale and a good opportunity to play it. I enjoy story based games as long as they're not predictable and boring. Firewatch really made me happy. I spent a few hours with this game, had laugh from time to time, but there also were sad moments. Basically, it's a swing of emotions. I recommend this game to everyone that like a good story telling and don't mind walking a bunch. Camp Santo managed to create a good story and was able to hide it in an adorable graphic wrapper. Playing this game and advancing the story is like unwrapping a candy. You know what's inside and want to get to it, but you still enjoy the whole process. Congrats, Campo Santo!

I got a second platinum in Life is Strange. This time on PS3. I picked it up for a really good price digitally. It costed me about two loafs of bread. I was hungry for four days, but got a platinum. Joking... I am not sure if it's the same with Telltale Games' games because I didn't finish any one of them twice, but Life is Strange doesn't change that much based on your choices. Sometimes you'll see an additional cutscene or this time another person will be with you but it doesn't really affect the ending. Sadly...

I started playing Shadow Warrior 2 because I got bored of the collectathon in AC Syndicate. Played it for an hour and a half and had a blast. Will come back to it at some point. No review for you until then :P

I also started playing God of War: Ghost of Sparta. There was no significant progress made though. However, I was really surprised to see this game have full Polish localization. Not that I really need that to understand the story, because I don't, but it's nice to see someone actually care about Poland. Good job Ready at Dawn, good job! 

Added AC Rogue to my list of games. Hopefully I can finish it quickly...

I've bought myself a game. Nothing new, right? Or should I say "Nothing MEOW"? Cat Quest, ladies and gentlemen! The best RPG of all time... in a CATegory of hilariousness (is it a word?). If you're looking for a game you could relax to I highly recommend this one. It's rather cheap. It's short though, I've nearly finished it in one day... Hopefully we'll see Cat Quest 2 or Dog Quest, pleeeeaaase???

I've made significant progress in AC Syndicate. I think I'll be able to finish it next weekend. I'm really exhausted after this. I've already done the worst though. All collectibles are in my pockets and now I just need to finish the story while acquiring 100% synchronization in every main mission and get some miscellaneous trophies. And then I'll be done with it... Next target: Prey !

2017 Completed Games

Spoiler

God of War II (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Get Even (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Child of Light (PS4) - DONE (100%) 

Uncharted The Lost Legacy (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

101 Ways To Die (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Hue (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Layers of Fear (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Maize (PS4) - DONE (100%)

The Park (PS4) - DONE (100%)

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Batman Arkham Knight (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum:

Aragami (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

God of War: Chains of Olympus (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Slayaway Camp (PS4) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

List of Eggplant Farm Games 2018

Spoiler

Life is Strange (PS3) - DONE (100%) :platinum: 

Firewatch (PS4) - DONE (100%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Spy Chameleon (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (59%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (54%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Kholat (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (14%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] South Park: The Fractured But Whole (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (91%)

[DUE JUNE 2018] Deadpool (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (18%)

Cat Quest (PS4) - NOT YET DONE (65%)

Assassin's Creed Rogue (PS3) - NOT YET DONE (0%)

God of War: Ghost of Sparta (PS3) - NOT YET DONE (7%)

• Like 2

@RockyJokerPL That's a lot of game updates. I'm jealous. The only one I can say I've played is Life is Strange (I should pick up the sequel...), but I've had my eye on Firewatch for a while. Actually, I might even have it in my backlog folder. I've been buying up a lot of games on the PS store for the past month. Mostly just ones that are on sale for under $5. If they turn out anything like my Steam account, though, that means I'll never play them...

I have only two updates! First, I finished up Sims 4. No, I didn't platinum the game. But I do consider my family "complete," since the remaining trophies are just huge time-wasters that I'll have to do on a new save file. Still think I prefer Sims 3 Pets. But that might be the last time I play a Sims game on a console... Way too much lag, and way too many bugs. Oh, and game crashes. I had at least five of those.

Second update: I'm back to the wild, wild world of Setsuna. Got by the...*googles the name*...Aurorean Tiger boss on my third attempt. He seems to be one of the toughest bosses in the game. I was able to do it around with a party level around 22, but then I went online to see what the "right" strategy is for beating him (I just spammed Wall with Endir), and saw a lot of people were at level 35+ at that point. What happened? Did I miss some epic grinding opportunities? Not that I'm complaining. I have enough to worry about, trying to figure out how these Fluxes work. Very wonky game mechanic. Good thing they seem totally unnecessary.

I just reached the Last Lands, so I assume I'm near the end of the game. If so, this was a rather short RPG, by Japanese standards. Kinda makes me want to go back and finish Chrono Trigger after I'm done...

• Like 1

On 1/20/2018 at 5:15 PM, Cassylvania said:

thanks to the ability of Sims 4 to play itself. (You do need to check in occasionally to select pop-up menu options, and/or to recharge your controller's battery.)

Having a copy of the original The Sims 4 on PC(and trying to avoid buying that new expansion for it, so tempted to download Sim cats!) I am surprised that this version can be self-dependent. (In the PC versions, there is a challenge where you set a single Sim to free will and let the game play for a Sim week and see how long your Sim lasts before he dies of starvation or mishap. It's interesting that these versions are a lot more self-sufficient.)

@Jens The Fluxes? Yeah, I have no idea. I'm just trying to figure out how to trigger them. I know there's a fairly easy method for getting to 200, though... I'll probably work on that once I beat the next boss, who keeps kicking my butt. I think he's like the old king or something. I'm debating whether to keep banging my head against the wall or trudging all the way back to the nearest town and stocking up on supplies. Either way, I'm not going to have a good time.

@CJ_Mystery Yeah, it's nice. I'm letting it play right now while one of my characters is pregnant. If we're lucky, she'll have triplets (for Triple Play). Realistically, though, we know this shit will take at least 40 attempts. At least I got the stupid Alphabet Legacy trophy out of the way. Let me tell you guys about that one. Think about the dumbest trophy they could put in a Sims game. Got one? Okay. I can beat it. How does...reaching the 26th generation of a family sound? That's right. Have your Sim have a kid that has a kid twenty-freakin'-six times. (Fortunately, adoption and the birthday cake trick works for this.) I suppose I should just be glad this isn't the Cambodian version of Sims 4.

Hey, I made a smart joke!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Think about the dumbest trophy they could put in a Sims game. Got one? Okay. I can beat it. How does...reaching the 26th generation of a family sound? That's right. Have your Sim have a kid that has a kid twenty-freakin'-six times.

http://simmerland.proboards.com/thread/22/alphabet-legacy-rules

Obviously, you haven't been as fire-hardened by Simming like I have to know that Alphabet Legacies are a fun challenge in the original games. xD In fact, it was this Alphabet Legacy that got me into The Sims. ;)

Edited by CJ_Mystery

On 1/26/2018 at 3:18 PM, Cassylvania said:

Well, remember, I have the plat for Arkham Knight already.

I forgot about that...never mind then! Only two weeks to go! You developed a battle plan? While I was unsuccessful in getting the platinum for FFIX over the weekend, I got every trophy except one. It will take me about 5-6 hours to complete it then I'll have finished the series (to date). My goal is to have the new South Park platinum for Valentines day.

On 1/26/2018 at 3:18 PM, Cassylvania said:

We're a heartbreak patch now. Because of Vikings and V-Day

Not sure why I didn't think of the Vikings. Seems kind of obvious once you said it. Have you seen any of the payback planned for Eagles fans for this weekend? I was reading that a lot of Minnesotans were going to sign up to be Uber drivers and drop Eagles fans off at the wrong place. Considering some of the abuse I saw Vikings fans receive in Philly...it seems fair.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:57 AM, RockyJokerPL said:

I also started playing God of War: Ghost of Sparta.

I've really enjoyed this series a lot. I just got an email from Amazon that my pre-order of GoW 4 has been moved up to April. I'm really excited about that game. After South Park, I'm either doing the Shadow of War or starting my Souls series trek. I'll probably go with Shadow of War so that I'm not mid-series when Gow 4 comes out. I'd like to play that one right away.

On 1/27/2018 at 6:57 AM, RockyJokerPL said:

Or should I say "Nothing MEOW"

Unrelated, but also coming out in April is Super Troopers 2 :)

9 hours ago, Br1ste said:

I forgot about that...never mind then! Only two weeks to go! You developed a battle plan? While I was unsuccessful in getting the platinum for FFIX over the weekend, I got every trophy except one. It will take me about 5-6 hours to complete it then I'll have finished the series (to date). My goal is to have the new South Park platinum for Valentines day.

I haven't even thought about Arkham Knight. I need to trim down my list a little before I even attempt to tackle that one.

9 hours ago, Br1ste said:

Not sure why I didn't think of the Vikings. Seems kind of obvious once you said it. Have you seen any of the payback planned for Eagles fans for this weekend? I was reading that a lot of Minnesotans were going to sign up to be Uber drivers and drop Eagles fans off at the wrong place. Considering some of the abuse I saw Vikings fans receive in Philly...it seems fair.

I have a hard time believing anybody in Minnesota would do that. That's one of the friendliest states in the country. Philadelphia, on the other hand... Well, let's just say I'd probably be an Eagles fan today if it wasn't for their fan base. I don't really have a "home" city (because my family moved so much), but I used to tell people I grew up in Philly if they ask, because I did spend a good amount of time there as a kid. Love the Rocky movies and Silver Linings Playbook too. I just hate the hostility. I know "all fan bases" are like that, but trust me when I say -- as somebody who has probably lived near most of the thirty-two current NFL teams -- that Eagles fans are the absolute worst. Not all of them, of course, but their fan base as a whole is the most violent and hateful that I've seen, outside of maybe the Raiders. (Pats fans are bad too, but for different reasons. :P I don't mind arrogance or bandwagoning, but I would like to go see a game without worrying about my safety.)

Sadly, as the Super Bowl creeps closer (I didn't even bother watching the Pro Bowl), I'm finding myself hoping the Patriots win -- and win big. Last year, I wanted Atlanta to pull it off, because Matt Ryan won me $100 in fantasy football, but I can't find myself with any reasons to cheer for the Eagles. Outside of Nick Foles, there's nothing about that team that I can stomach. Yeah, it'd be cool for them to finally win the big game, but not at the expense of the Vikings. This year will probably be the hardest to get over, just because my team was so close to making history, and I'm not sure even winning the Super Bowl next year would make up for it. But it would be a good start!

I think, this year, I'm going to try to get into baseball again. This whole lull between February and August is killing me. To me, there are only two seasons: football season, and waiting for football season to begin. It'd be nice to have something else to fill that time.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I have a hard time believing anybody in Minnesota would do that. That's one of the friendliest states in the country.

I don't really think so either, but it's funny to think about. After seeing full beer cans thrown at Vikings fans, I can't say they don't deserve it. Granted, the ones that are at the Super Bowl probably aren't the same people who were throwing the beer cans so justice wouldn't truly be done...but I guess that's why there's a phrase called 'guilt by association.'

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Pats fans are bad too

I actually agree for the most part...many of the diehards are obnoxious Masshole drunks and there are so many pink hats that haven't watched a game but love to talk trash. They give us longtime fans that suffered through the late 80's, early 90's a bad name. I've been to ONE football game at Foxboro and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. The tickets were like $200 each...I was on the 20 yard line in the second section back from the field with my wife (girlfriend at the time.) It was a Monday night game against the Chiefs in November. Patriots smoked them and Edelman returned a punt for a TD, but there were like five guys sitting directly behind me that were so obnoxiously drunk. This game happened the year that Edelman was accused of groping a girl at a night club. While he was returning the punt for the TD, the guy behind me yelled "Yeah Edelman!!!Returning punts and grabbing *unts!!" While he was cheering he accidentally spilled his entire beer on my head. I'm a pretty non-confrontational person, but this put me over the top. I turned around to yell at the guy and he said "sorry dude, what do you want me to do?" I told him I'd like him to shut his f'n mouth and let us watch the football game...he then called me a prick for not forgiving him right away. I said, 'You dumped an entire beer on my head and I'm the prick?' Some of the people sitting around me said they'd have my back if I wanted to fight him, but it wasn't worth it. Thank God they left at halftime...I can't ever see myself going back to Foxboro. I don't really drink/tailgate and the game is better viewed on TV anyways.

I think, this year, I'm going to try to get into baseball again.

I wish I could. Baseball was my first love and I played it up through college. My wife thinks it is the most boring sport ever so I never get to watch. I made a compromise that I get to watch every football game I want during the season, but I won't make her watch any baseball. Football games are more exciting and more important so I went with that.

This whole lull between February and August is killing me.

It's pretty brutal. The only thing I really look forward to during that time now is the NCAA basketball tournament. I think the first two rounds of the NCAA's are some of the most exciting days of sports all year.

To me, there are only two seasons: football season, and waiting for football season to begin.

No truer statement has ever been said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Br1ste said:

I actually agree for the most part...many of the diehards are obnoxious Masshole drunks and there are so many pink hats that haven't watched a game but love to talk trash. They give us longtime fans that suffered through the late 80's, early 90's a bad name. I've been to ONE football game at Foxboro and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. The tickets were like $200 each...I was on the 20 yard line in the second section back from the field with my wife (girlfriend at the time.) It was a Monday night game against the Chiefs in November. Patriots smoked them and Edelman returned a punt for a TD, but there were like five guys sitting directly behind me that were so obnoxiously drunk. This game happened the year that Edelman was accused of groping a girl at a night club. While he was returning the punt for the TD, the guy behind me yelled "Yeah Edelman!!!Returning punts and grabbing *unts!!" While he was cheering he accidentally spilled his entire beer on my head. I'm a pretty non-confrontational person, but this put me over the top. I turned around to yell at the guy and he said "sorry dude, what do you want me to do?" I told him I'd like him to shut his f'n mouth and let us watch the football game...he then called me a prick for not forgiving him right away. I said, 'You dumped an entire beer on my head and I'm the prick?' Some of the people sitting around me said they'd have my back if I wanted to fight him, but it wasn't worth it. Thank God they left at halftime...I can't ever see myself going back to Foxboro. I don't really drink/tailgate and the game is better viewed on TV anyways.

That's ridiculous. I've been to a few NFL games (Eagles, Vikings in their old stadium, and the Browns in their really old stadium), and I don't think I've ever had something like that happen. Somebody threw a meatball or something at me at the Eagles game, but I wasn't even dressed in the other team's garb. The Vikings game was fun, though. This was about five years ago, when the team was terrible and tickets were only like $20. I just happened to pick a day when AP ran for 3 TDs and the Vikings won by 24 points. There were some drunk fans from the other team, but they were good sports...and actually wore Viking hats once the game was out of reach. Not even sure where they got those. Wouldn't be surprised if some Vikings fans gave them away. (Though, as much as I love my team, I have to admit we had some pretty annoying fans this year too.)

I wouldn't mind checking out their new stadium at some point. Even though I'd much rather watch the games on TV (preferably alone -- I don't like going to the bars anymore), I'd still like to visit every NFL stadium at least once. My idea was to pick a team and see one game each year, but I didn't have the money to go anywhere this season. I really wanted to get my Steelers game out of the way, but ticket prices for Vikings/Steelers were unreal. Not to mention that game would've sucked anyway. (That was Keenum's first start.) 

My issue is that I have no interest in going to a game in which I'm cheering for the visiting team. It just makes everything unpleasant. I'd rather watch a game in which I have no stake in the actual outcome. Honestly, that's kinda how I feel ALL the time. Even if I'm sitting at home alone, I'd rather watch the Bills and Patriots go at it than suffer through three hours of the Vikings nearly giving me a heart attack. It's nice because then I can just appreciate the sport. Thus, the next time I go to an NFL game, it better feature two teams that I don't care about.

(Let's make @Buffalo2018 a reality!)

So, I'm working on more garbage trophies in Sims 4. Triple Play is an awful, RNG-based trophy that has no place in this game. I've gone through six pregnancies already, had one set of twins, and no triplets. Fortunately, all of the kids were taken away from me by Child Protective Services! That would've been a lot of mouths to feed.

Looking forward, I think I'm going to stick to shorter games for a while. Something in the range of 10-15 hours. Longer games like HZD, RER, and DDogma are really killing my completion percentage. You know, at one point last year, I was only three trophies away from 100%! And I technically could've been down to one, but this was No Man's Sky and I was waiting for a patch that would make that third trophy easier to get... Now I'm 143 trophies away. Blah.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I'd still like to visit every NFL stadium at least once. My idea was to pick a team and see one game each year

I have a similar goal except with baseball stadiums. Going to a baseball game is generally a little more of a relaxing experience I think. I was going to knock out several at a time though. Like when I do the California teams, try to go for a week or so and see a game in each stadium. I think it would be expensive to go back several times there. I've been to Fenway (several times), the old and new Yankee stadium, the old Shea Stadium, Camden Yards and Tropicana Field. I think I'm going to wait until my kids are a little older before I start up again. I'm not sure if my kids will be baseball fans or not, but if they are I think it would be a good family thing to do.

7 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

My issue is that I have no interest in going to a game in which I'm cheering for the visiting team. It just makes everything unpleasant. I'd rather watch a game in which I have no stake in the actual outcome.

I agree with this 100%. When I go to a game I want to watch the game. I don't want to be harassed for the laundry I'm wearing. I've gone to several Red Sox vs Yankees games at Yankee Stadium. I wear regular clothes and just take in the game. One of the best games I went to was the one at Camden Yards. The Mariners were in town to play the Orioles. Both teams were bad at the time but I got there early for BP and hung out in the outfield. I caught a BP home run ball and then because the Orioles were bad, we were able to get really good seats for like $40 a piece. The game ended in extra innings on a suicide squeeze play. I didn't care who won or lost at all and just had a ton of fun because the game was good.

Triple Play is an awful, RNG-based trophy that has no place in this game

These kinds of trophies are the WORST. It just sucks the fun out of a game. A trophy should be more skill based than luck based and in my experience, the RNG gods are very unforgiving.

You know, at one point last year, I was only three trophies away from 100%! And I technically could've been down to one, but this was No Man's Sky and I was waiting for a patch that would make that third trophy easier to get... Now I'm 143 trophies away. Blah.

I can't leave games (except Super Meat Boy that I needed a break from) until I've 100% it. I'm always nervous that too much time away from the game will make me rusty and I'll have to waste time getting used to the controls again. I just started to pick up Super Meat Boy again after a two month hiatus and I think I'll be able to get at least the next two no death runs done...the last 3 I have no idea how I'll do them. Do you do multiple games at once out of boredom? out of frustration? do you think it takes away from the experience to have time gaps when you're in the middle of a story or do you remember what you were doing pretty well when you go back?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Br1ste said:

Do you do multiple games at once out of boredom? out of frustration? do you think it takes away from the experience to have time gaps when you're in the middle of a story or do you remember what you were doing pretty well when you go back?

I keep telling myself I'm only going to play one game at a time, but it never happens that way. I'd say, more often than not, it's because I'm stuck on a certain part of the game (like the Blade Dancer in Dark Souls 3, or the boss I'm currently facing in Setsuna). Sometimes it's out of frustration (you saw how I was with Spy Chameleon), but very rarely would I say it's out of boredom. Often, I just get overwhelmed by bigger or longer games. That's why I really wish I hadn't started Dragon's Dogma. As good as that game is (and it really is comparable to Skyrim, I think), I just dread that road to platinum.

Once I reach 100% trophy completion, I think I'm going to instate a rule of only one lengthy game at a time. I can have several shorter (or trophy clean-up) games going, but no more juggling two or three RPGs that take 60+ hours each to complete. Because I do think it takes away from the story. On the other hand, though, it's nice not to rush through games. Tales from the Borderlands was a game I rushed through way too quickly. I think I would have benefited from taking a couple of days off between episodes, rather than completing the whole thing in a weekend.

• Like 2

This shit is whack. I've spent so long trying to get Triple Play that I actually maxed out the amount of money you can make in the game. (If you're interested, it's $9,999,999.) And to think I was worried that I wasn't going to reach the one million I needed for Rosebud.

How annoyed am I, you ask? Well, so annoyed that I started playing a new game. I went with LEGO Star Wars since (a) it's easier than the other crap I have going on, and (b) it's two players. Like, real two players. None of that online bullshit. Which reminds me...

Does anybody have a Switch? My birthday is coming up (shameless plug), and I was thinking of buying myself one, but I have a general rule that I have to justify any purchase over $50 to myself. The only reason I haven't bought one yet is because of the library. To me, something like $100 for a Wii or Wii U with Smash Bros. and Mario Kart/Party is worth it, but Nintendo seems to have dropped the ball in that department when it comes to the Switch. The only major couch co-op game is Mario Kart 8 (which is already available for the Wii U)? I mean, yeah, I know about the paper cut game and that paintball one, but still... And where's my open world Pokemon RPG?

And I just found out the Switch isn't backwards compatible and doesn't have a virtual console store... Do they not want my money?

• Like 2

On 1/30/2018 at 7:29 PM, Cassylvania said:

That's why I really wish I hadn't started Dragon's Dogma. As good as that game is (and it really is comparable to Skyrim, I think), I just dread that road to platinum.

I may have to add this game to my upcoming. I loved Skyrim. I kind of broke the game early by accident. I stumbled across the exploit for leveling up your talking skill pretty early and maxed it out. I didn't realize that it would strengthen the enemies and the game became much harder because I thought it'd be nice to be max at negotiating. It forced me to play more stealth/bow, which is my favorite way anyways, and it definitely added a challenge. If Dragon's Dogma is anything like that, it'll be worth picking up.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:29 PM, Cassylvania said:

Once I reach 100% trophy completion, I think I'm going to instate a rule of only one lengthy game at a time. I can have several shorter (or trophy clean-up) games going, but no more juggling two or three RPGs that take 60+ hours each to complete.

I think that would be overwhelming also. Most of those RPG's have some sort of major grind involved for trophies in addition to a longer story...staring at three or more at once would be so daunting. That's actually why I did the God of War series. After finishing Final Fantasy XIV, I needed a break from extreme grinding and these were relatively quick games, that offered a decent challenge where I could feel some accomplishment more quickly. I honestly don't know if I would have started up doing the Final Fantasy series again so quickly except I found that project platinum here. I had intended on doing them eventually, just not all at once but I'm glad I did.

On 2/1/2018 at 5:23 PM, Cassylvania said:

How annoyed am I, you ask? Well, so annoyed that I started playing a new game. I went with LEGO Star Wars since (a) it's easier than the other crap I have going on, and (b) it's two players. Like, real two players. None of that online bullshit.

Is it any good? I don't have anyone to play games with right now. My wife hates gaming and my kids are too little. I can already tell that my oldest son is going to be a gamer and I'm a little excited to have someone to play real two player games with again. It's more fun to talk smack with someone you know sitting next to you instead of someone over the interwebs. 

Does anybody have a Switch? My birthday is coming up (shameless plug), and I was thinking of buying myself one, but I have a general rule that I have to justify any purchase over $50 to myself. The only reason I haven't bought one yet is because of the library.

I don't and it probably isn't in my future. When I was a kid, I was team Nintendo and was only going to buy Nintendo stuff. As I got older and things like licensing agreements and cartridges vs CDs came into existence, I kind of strayed to the Playstation. Nintendo systems haven't been my primary system since the N64...which coincidentally had a very limited library also when it was released. Fortunately for N64, Mario 64 was such an awesome game that I was fine with the lack of games for the most part. With the Switch, I have such a backlog of games on the PS that I don't know when the hell I'd get to playing it. I tend to have a similar rule as you when it comes to spending money and the Switch just isn't going to make the cut (at this point.)

And I just found out the Switch isn't backwards compatible and doesn't have a virtual console store... Do they not want my money?

lol I hate this about current gaming systems. I almost wasn't going to buy a PS4 because of this, but I eventually relented since there were games I was going to want to play on it and figured I could always keep my PS3 if I wanted to play those games...but I agree with your point.

My own personal success story...I got the Platinum for Final Fantasy IX last night which gives me all 12 in the series. I am going to be starting the new South Park game later today and then I'll get another quicker game or two in before I start my Soul's series grind.

Eleven days until Valentine's day. You picked out #100 yet?

ps. This is random...but I just noticed it took me two months and fourteen days to complete FFIX...2/14...Valentines Day...weirdly on topic platinum :)

Edited by Br1ste
  • Like 2

Is it any good? I don't have anyone to play games with right now. My wife hates gaming and my kids are too little. I can already tell that my oldest son is going to be a gamer and I'm a little excited to have someone to play real two player games with again. It's more fun to talk smack with someone you know sitting next to you instead of someone over the interwebs. 

It's pretty good so far. I've always liked the LEGO games, even though I haven't played very many. It's just nice to revisit couch co-op games, since that's what I grew up on.

I don't and it probably isn't in my future. When I was a kid, I was team Nintendo and was only going to buy Nintendo stuff. As I got older and things like licensing agreements and cartridges vs CDs came into existence, I kind of strayed to the Playstation. Nintendo systems haven't been my primary system since the N64...which coincidentally had a very limited library also when it was released. Fortunately for N64, Mario 64 was such an awesome game that I was fine with the lack of games for the most part. With the Switch, I have such a backlog of games on the PS that I don't know when the hell I'd get to playing it. I tend to have a similar rule as you when it comes to spending money and the Switch just isn't going to make the cut (at this point.)

That's how I was. I was Team Nintendo and my brother was Team Playstation, since he's older and those games were generally for a more mature audience. But we'd play co-op games all the time. When my little sister was old enough to play games with us, we started getting into Mario Kart and Mario Party, which were some of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. One day, my brother got so pissed at me for something I did in Mario Party that he picked me up and threw me through the door, right as our father was coming down the hallway. We were both grounded for three years. After that, I stopped playing Nintendo so much...but we still break out the Wii every now and then to relive those memories.

That's why I think a Switch purchase is justified, IF they come out with a few more party games. It's fun to bring up an old TV on Sundays and play a little Mario while we watch football on the big screen. We all like different NFL teams too, so the extra sibling rivalry really helps to bring us closer together. Only this time, we have a glass patio door...

Eleven days until Valentine's day. You picked out #100 yet?

I'm not even sure I've picked out #97... I've seriously had 50+ babies and still no triplets. (That was an odd sentence.) I could probably plat RER or LEGO, but this week is going to be busy, and I obviously will be watching the "big game" tomorrow, as every advertisement in the world keeps calling it... But I have given it some thought. Life is Strange: BTS, Celeste, and Deadpool are the most likely candidates. None of them are ideal, but they're all fairly short games that I know I would like and have a good platinum image/title. Celeste has the most fitting one for a V-Day plat, but I'm not sure how good I'd be at a game like that.

Nice job on FFIX! I'm probably not getting any gaming done this weekend, but I'll continue to let Sims 4 play itself, in hopes that I'll get that stupid trophy to pop.

EDIT: Congrats us for reaching 10k views!

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 1

Big day today! Got our snacks ready, my wife is making cheeseburger and pulled pork sliders for dinner and we'll be ready to go! I don't really have any Super Bowl traditions and the only people coming to watch tonight are my mother with her boyfriend and my in-laws who will all probably leave at halftime. None of my friends who really follow football live that close to me and they are all Giants fans anyways. Do you have any Super Bowl traditions?

18 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

We all like different NFL teams too, so the extra sibling rivalry really helps to bring us closer together.

How many siblings do you have? I have a brother who is two years younger than me and then a half-brother and half-sister who are 9 and 11 years younger than me. I did all of my gaming with my closest brother and there were plenty of arguments when the game we were playing was one player about who's turn it was. I don't know how big families were able to keep the peace back when only two could play at a time at most.

Well I'm going to play a little more South Park before the festivities tonight, I hope you have a good time watching and that the Patriots can deny Philly their first title.

• Like 1