Is the PS Plus for PS3 worth it?

juniordrfanatic

My question comes with a story, and it's a sad one ahah.

A few days ago, my PS3 was on and my lights went out. When i turned it on, an error message appeared and my PS3 and it had to do a file check. It got (i thought) stuck for awhile at 49% and dumb little old me though "Fuck it, i'll unplugg it and turn it on again, that'll work".

Long story short, i had to format it and lost every single thing in it, especially my save files, with alot of work put in them.

So my question is this: I know that PS Plus comes with Cloud Save and since there aren't that many games coming into the PS Plus for PS3, is it worth to have it just for the Cloud Save alone? I plan on getting a PS4 (eventually) and i know that if i get PS Plus now i'll get all of the PS4 games that become available in it, but still, is it worth it?

Edited by juniordrfanatic
  • Like 1

You can always back up saves in other ways, such as to a USB drive. That being said, I think the service is still cheap enough that it's worth it. You still get 2 games a month for PS3, same as PS4 (sometimes more if the PS4 or Vita options are cross-buy). They may not be the greatest games, but that's for a whole different discussion.

TL;DR: Yes, worth it unless you're really hard up for the cash.

EDIT: You also get discounts on lots of games, so the yearly cost can easily be recovered if you're spending money regularly on the PSN store.

Edited by RNumbers
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, juniordrfanatic said:

A few days ago, my PS3 was on and my lights went out. When i turned it on, an error message appeared and my PS3 and it had to do a file check. It got (i thought) stuck for awhile at 49% and dumb little old me though "Fuck it, i'll unplugg it and turn it on again, that'll work".

Long story short, i had to format it and lost every single thing in it, especially my save files, with alot of work put in them.

So my question is this: I know that PSN Plus comes with Cloud Save and since there aren't that many games coming into the PSN Plus for PS3, is it worth to have it just for the Cloud Save alone? I plan on getting a PS4 (eventually) and i know that if i get PSN Plus now i'll get all of the PS4 games that become available in it, but still, is it worth it?

Dude, I feel your pain as I went through THE exact same thing last week!! Lost ALL my downloaded games, saved files (just got some sweet weapons for Diablo 3 UEE that are sadly gone ?) and had to format everything and re-download everything all over again. Just finished downloading everything I had on my HDD a few days ago. But yes, the cloud save is TOTALLY worth it alone, and it saved me from the grind of a few games I played before a thunderstorm knocked out my power. 

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Dude, I feel your pain as I went through THE exact same thing last week!! Lost ALL my downloaded games, saved files (just got some sweet weapons for Diablo 3 UEE that are sadly gone 1f61e.png) and had to format everything and re-download everything all over again. Just finished downloading everything I had on my HDD a few days ago. But yes, the cloud save is TOTALLY worth it alone, and it saved me from the grind of a few games I played before a thunderstorm knocked out my power. 

The data i lost wasn't that big of a deal. I lost my MK9 data with all of the Fatalaties, Matches etc. done with all characters, my MKvsDC with all of the KOmbo Challenges but what pisses me off is the Street Fighter x Tekken data with almost everything else done...

3 minutes ago, juniordrfanatic said:

The data i lost wasn't that big of a deal. I lost my MK9 data with all of the Fatalaties, Matches etc. done with all characters, my MKvsDC with all of the KOmbo Challenges but what pisses me off is the Street Fighter x Tekken data with almost everything else done...

That's a lot of grinding right there. But I do understand. 

Yes it's worth it for all the added bells and whistles you get just for the retail price of a regular game once per year.

Another nice feature that people didn't mention is the fact that you can get additional discounts on PS Store sales, when you're a PS Plus member.

So if you buy a lot of digital games, you get more bang for your buck.

And like DuckSwimmer said, if you've already subscribed to PS Plus, add PS4 and PS Vita games to your library, even if you don't have any of these systems.

I can't stress that enough. 

You never know when you'll get a new system (most likely a PS4 than a PS Vita).

It's just a few clicks while you're browsing the PS Store on your PC, tablet or smartphone.

I didn't do this the first few months when I got my PS4 and I missed a lot of cool games for my PS3 and Vita because of it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Just for cloud saves? No. Just plug in a damn USB when you've done something worth backing up. Would you really pay 80 odd a year (AUD) for a service that lets you back up your saves online, over just shoving them on a USB?

There's quite a few games that have copy protection on their save files, and the only way to back them up is to the ps plus cloud(which even then you're limited to a few times a month on those)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyjabria said:

It's almost like Sony intentionally makes poor quality devices in hopes of people paying them for "insurance"... I'd say PS Plus is not worth it for cloud saves. Though I don't think it's worth it for any reason with its current offering. :hmm:

Well, you should thank Microsoft who showed Sony that people are willing to pay money to play online on consoles instead of having it as a free service.

Even Nintendo eventually did the same with the Switch.

1 hour ago, omarbanzai said:

Well, you should thank Microsoft who showed Sony that people are willing to pay money to play online on consoles instead of having it as a free service.

Even Nintendo eventually did the same with the Switch.

It's the consumers who are willing to put up with shit like that. If you want to spend money to things like that, it's your call. Vote with your wallet. 

I have to wonder why Sony's consoles/OSs seem to be so prone to save corruption issues and such when Nintendo's consoles don't seem to have those kind of problems. It's pretty convenient how all those "unexpected" save corruptions / memory card failures happen when Sony has a paid backup service and proprietary memory cards. 

22 hours ago, juniordrfanatic said:

So my question is this: I know that PS Plus comes with Cloud Save and since there aren't that many games coming into the PS Plus for PS3, is it worth to have it just for the Cloud Save alone? I plan on getting a PS4 (eventually) and i know that if i get PS Plus now i'll get all of the PS4 games that become available in it, but still, is it worth it?

In my opinion I think it's worth it when u have a PS4 not just a PS3 the iCloud is good and all but it's not worth it for 60$ when u have a PS4 u get 4 free games 2 games each system, the deals for the PS4 system are better then the PS3 now. The PS3 deals been terrible for the past couple of months and that's basically it.

8 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

There's quite a few games that have copy protection on their save files, and the only way to back them up is to the ps plus cloud(which even then you're limited to a few times a month on those)

2 things.

1. I've not had any issues copying to a USB, but I have had issues when copying multiple games to the cloud, some need to be uploaded on their own which is really weird, but those games work fine to a USB so like, what is the deal? 

2. There's a limit to the number of uploads? I've never heard of, or personally run into this. I've uploaded hundreds of game saves fine in one month when I was transferring all my stuff to my fat PS3 a few years back.

3 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

2 things.

1. I've not had any issues copying to a USB, but I have had issues when copying multiple games to the cloud, some need to be uploaded on their own which is really weird, but those games work fine to a USB so like, what is the deal? 

2. There's a limit to the number of uploads? I've never heard of, or personally run into this. I've uploaded hundreds of game saves fine in one month when I was transferring all my stuff to my fat PS3 a few years back.

I was referring to the copy protected saves, you have a limit on how many times you can copy them to the cloud. 

13 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

It's almost like Sony intentionally makes poor quality devices in hopes of people paying them for "insurance"... I'd say PS Plus is not worth it for cloud saves. Though I don't think it's worth it for any reason with its current offering. :hmm:

Nothing about their issue comes from the PS3 being a poor quality device, at all.

Their power went out, and when the file check was running, they turned the system off before it was done (due to mistakenly thinking the check was stuck).

That would screw up literally any device/OS. They tell you not to turn off the power during things like that for a reason.

--

In answer to your question,OP - yes, it is worth it. It's $60/year for 2 games/month per console (2 for PS3, 2 for PS4, and 2 for Vita, with some overlap at times with Cross-buy games.), cloud storage for saves, as well as automatic updates for your games and system firmware.

Even if all you play for the entire year's subscription is 3 $20 games (Out of a total 24 games for the year) - it's paid for itself. It's more worth it if you have more than just one system, obviously, but even if you only have the PS3 or PS4 or Vita, it still has value. (IE: This month's games have more than paid for my subscription alone, and I've only really played 3 of them - Just Cause 3, Downwell and Assassin's Creed 4: Freedom Cry.)

It's especially worth it since you do plan to get a PS4 - that way you can be building up a library of games to play when you do finally have it (Like I did - I'd built up about 2 years worth of Plus games for PS4 before I actually got the console. Had plenty to play when I finally did.)

• Like 2