Is the PS Plus for PS3 worth it?

juniordrfanatic

I actually got PS Plus mainly for the cloud storage years ago, because my old fat PS3 was showing what I thought were signs of it dying, and I had a lot of copy protected saves which I couldn't simply copy to a USB stick. The PS3 ended up living for another 3 years, but I'm thankful I did make the decision to get PS Plus, I did end up actually getting some good "free" games out of it too. Also, the next PS3 I got after my fat died, died within literally just 5 months after getting it, brand new. Couldn't turn it on at all, so everything on the PS3 was lost, though thankfully I had still been uploading my saves, and all I lost was about an hour of playtime on a game when it froze, and decided to never turn on again after turning it off.

If you have copy protected saves you don't want to lose, I'd say it's worth it, but if all or most of your saves aren't, I'd just say get a USB stick and back them up to that. The "free" games definitely aren't worth it any more imo, they seem to be digging right to the bottom of the barrel each month now for PS3 and Vita games.

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I was referring to the copy protected saves, you have a limit on how many times you can copy them to the cloud. 

Never heard of this before. I uploaded Demon's Souls to the cloud once or twice pretty much every day for nearly a month and never encountered any issues. The cloud does prevent you from downloading copy protected saves more than once every 24 hours though, that's the only thing I've encountered.

5 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

I was referring to the copy protected saves, you have a limit on how many times you can copy them to the cloud. 

That is some bullshit. Screw that. 

"Hi guys, wanna pay to be able to back up your shit like you can on Xbox for free? You got it, but you can only do it X amount of times before we tell you to sod off"

14 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

It's almost like Sony intentionally makes poor quality devices in hopes of people paying them for "insurance"... I'd say PS Plus is not worth it for cloud saves. Though I don't think it's worth it for any reason with its current offering. :hmm:

Minimum 2 games a month per console ( that's 72 games a year,) cloud saving, ps store discounts and online gaming if you're on ps4. All this for less than the price of 1 premium game. How is that poor value?

To answer the original question I would say yes on the basis that you will also certainly get ps3 games you want to play as well as the cloud. Plus you can start building your ps4 library. Of course this all depends on your financial situation.

I have had ps+ for several years and am generally happy with it. I accept that they'll give away games that I either don't want or have already bought because I live in the real world and not in the one where Sony cater just for me.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2017 at 10:41 AM, tezgamer said:

Minimum 2 games a month per console ( that's 72 games a year,) cloud saving, ps store discounts and online gaming if you're on ps4. All this for less than the price of 1 premium game. How is that poor value?

I tend not to pay for things I'm not interested in or just in hopes of maybe possibly someday getting something I want. I don't remember there being many interesting games as "free" PS Plus titles. If I happen to find one or two interesting games among the "free" rental games I could just buy them for a few euros from a sale and gain access to them at any time, not only while I'm subscribing to a service. Also since they offer old games it's very likely I've already bought a game that interests me. So I hardly find the subscription worth it personally. :dunno:

Edited by Eyjabria

Now it's not really worth it. Pretty much all of the great games already came out for ps plus and you missed them all. And only for cloud saves, while some you can copy on an usb stick, ps plus is too overpriced.

On the other side, as somebody already mentioned, all the games that come out for the 4 now can be "purchased".

So at one day when you own a 4, you have a ton of games to play. 

Edited by Gommes_

It's only really good for the extra save backup you get. The last good PS3 freebie game that came out was Under Night In Birth:EXE Late (In my opinion). I wouldn't get PS Plus unless you own either a PS4 or PSVita in addition to your PS3.

Gotta be honest I haven't really looked at ps3 releases on ps+ for a while and after looking back a few months I  have got to admit some of these posts are right, the line up has been pretty poor for a while. EDF 2025 was probably the last truly good game, but that's a bit of a niche title and probably not up everybody's street. I would still say it's worth getting if as you say you plan to get a ps4. The quality of games is rising on that format, probably due to the increasing number of releases and planned sequels.  After all what better way to advertise your next instalment than to give away the previous title that no longer sells? Ps3 has a diminishing number of titles that can be given away and will probably be dropped from ps+ support in the not too distant future.

In summary if you're gonna get a ps4 I wouls say get ps+ and build your library if not then maybe it's not worth it for the limited number of quality games you'll receive. Most games can be backed up to usb.