Quick way to centre with one glyph.

michael_martin

Speedy way to centre. Handy for permadeath, or anyone who's weary of the long journey.

This is what I did.

1. Had 650,000LY to galactic core.

2. Went through portal with one glyph (same glyph entered 12 times).

3. Came out on planet only 5000LY to centre (Ship must be retrieved but thats easy as long as you dont mind building a new base on the new planet).

Not bad for one portal jump.

Edited by michael_martin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Huh, that's interesting. I don't know anything about glyphs, but that certainly sounds like a way to speed up the process.

It sure is. 

I was trying to find all glyphs so I could visit someone elses base. But glyphs are hard to find, so this was a nice surprise. Now that Im close to the core it should be a lot easier to find someone elses base. 

Incidently, many other people have arrived at that planet by doing the same thing, with one glyph. Tonnes of people have left messages there. Almost everybody goes back through the portal because they havent got their ship.

17 hours ago, grbolivar said:

NVM I did it, was +400K LY away and got to the center doing this. This is probably a glitch and may be patched soon, so better use it while it last.

Did you do it on permadeath?

I don't think its a glitch. The developers encouraged players to experiment with portals, in the guide section of the menu. They warned of unpredictable results. This is one of those unpredictable results. 

Also it leaves you with a tough choice. Build a new base and stay there, or keep your existing base and go back through the portal where you came from. Most people go back through the portal.

Edited by michael_martin
typo

Yeah but 5000 LY from the center? That's too close from the center for just one glyph, basically you can reach the center in just a couple hours by exploiting this (saved me ~400.000 LY and got my permadeath trophies). I think they may patch this in the sense that at least you will need more glyphs to reach these closer planets, as it is now, you can skip 90-99% of the galaxy with just one glyph.

Edited by grbolivar
  • Like 1

I think this is not what the devs intended, but I am not sure. With this all you need is to advance the story until you can craft Warp Cells and find one glyph (I can confirm you don't need to finish the new Artemis quest to unlock the glyphs as this quest glitched on me and I could never finish it, I got my glyph early on by talking to a random NPC of the new specie), maybe even a Hyperdrive upgrade to accelerate things further. Then find a Portal and your glyph will put you on a planet at just 5000 LY from the center. Your ship will stay behind, meaning you can't take off this planet, and I think this is the way the devs wanted to be precisely to avoid all of this, but then you can use another exploit (I am pretty sure is an exploit) to retrieve your ship; and there you are, at just 5000 LY from the center, all you need to do now is craft the Warp Cells you need and that's it.

Again, I am not sure this is intended or not, but it feels to me like this is accidental behavior (1.3 came un-tested and full of glitches) and may get patched, or not. Either way, this seriously helps on getting the Survival + Permadeath trophies now that they expanded the galaxy (you will start at +700.000 LY, or at least I did).

Edited by grbolivar
  • Like 1

Ive spoken to several gamers who didnt want to stay because of the amount of effort they put into their previous base. Losing all that would be tough. 

The thing is, to figure out how close to the centre you are, you have to fly up to space, which is not possible without your ship. (although I have seen a crashed ship which could be another way, but could take hours to find). I reckon the developers thought most people would just go back through the portal, which is the case. 

Todays update 1.33 didn't mention this at all.

The developers are more familiar with the game than anyone, so I'm certain they are aware that this is possible.

To change it would be simple. Only allow portal jumps with correct planet addresses. When you enter the same glyph 12 times, that is not actually the address of the planet you jump to.

They wont be pulling this or disallowing you to use same glyph addresses. Portal addresses are hard coded into planets, no change without re-generation.

About the only thing they could do is turn the portal off on that specific planet, but since the planets location is known, all someone has to do is fly to a neighboring system / planet and get an address. Which by now, I'd assume the Galactic Hub Project is cataloging all these...

• Like 1

What they really need to fix is the "ability" to retrieve your ship after you use the Portal, otherwise you can just warp instantly anywhere on the galaxy by finding glyphs addresses on internet and then getting your ship back. Without your ship you could teleport to 1LY form the center but you can't leave the planet, so no problem. Either that or disable planets with 1-2 glyphs addresses. 

Edited by grbolivar
  • Like 1

On 20/08/2017 at 4:47 PM, michael_martin said:

2. Went through portal with one glyph (same glyph entered 12 times).

3. Came out on planet only 5000LY to centre (Ship must be retrieved but thats easy as long as you dont mind building a new base on the new planet).

I also don't think that this is a glitch:
https://nmsportals.github.io translates this sequence https://nmsportals.github.io/#000000000000 into the coordinates 07FF:007F:07FF:0000, which seem to be the coordinates of the center (if there was a system and a portal at this address). Selecting 07FF:007F:07FF:0000 as destination in the Pilgrim Star Path tool https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/ will give you the same distance to target and to center of the galaxy, which probably means that this target is identical with the center of the galaxy.

Of course, the game could be modified in a way that only correct portal addresses will work (would not really change anything, because you would only need a few glyphs more than now), or that you cannot fetch your ship afterwards (but you probably could try looking for a crashed ship behind the portal nevertheless)...

On 22/08/2017 at 6:56 PM, michael_martin said:

The thing is, to figure out how close to the centre you are, you have to fly up to space, which is not possible without your ship.

You don't have to do that - you can also build a signal scanner, take the coordinates and paste them into pahefu's Pilgrim Star Path tool: https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/ It tells you the distance to the center of the galaxy.

Edited by Hirnforscher
  • Like 1

Haven't tried out the portals yet, so here are some questions...

1.) If I take my existing permadeath file, how do I find a portal?

2.) When I enter this glyph from @Hirnforscher's post 12 times, I will come out on this planet very close to the center, right? How far do I have to go there to find a base and to call my ship - 'cause on permadeath this might be very hard after all.

3.) Are there known portals close to other players bases to get the reunion trophy?

Basically, I wish to use these portals to get the 3 very hard DLC trophies, but haven't tried the update yet... well, every help is appreciated! Thanks to everyone in this thread pointing this amazing thing out!

• Like 1

1) Build signal scanner, search for monolith, monolith points you to portal.

2) Because it is no correct portal address, the portal will randomly take you to a number of different planets near the center. I tried out some of them (also got to identical planets several times) -- sometimes the signal scanner only found habitable bases very far away, sometimes even only on other planets in the system. You have to get a littly lucky, I guess. You can't call your ship... See, for example:

But you can build an exocraft pad after you have progressed enough with the base building missions, this helps a lot.

3) Just search reddit or forums, there are many people posting their locations...

Good luck! :)

Edited by Hirnforscher
  • Like 1

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 6:19 PM, A12 said:

They wont be pulling this or disallowing you to use same glyph addresses. Portal addresses are hard coded into planets, no change without re-generation.

About the only thing they could do is turn the portal off on that specific planet, but since the planets location is known, all someone has to do is fly to a neighboring system / planet and get an address. Which by now, I'd assume the Galactic Hub Project is cataloging all these...

There is NO planet with that address!! Entering the same glyph 12 times seems to bring you to one of a few selected planets (they always seem to be extreme planets). Ive tried it several times and ive ended up on a different planet nearly every time. But the planet you arrive on does have a proper address, where most glyphs are needed. Ive checked that too by activating the portal on the new planet and requesting its address. 

Entering the glyph 12 times seems to put the portal into some sort of error mode.

On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 6:33 PM, grbolivar said:

What they really need to fix is the "ability" to retrieve your ship after you use the Portal, otherwise you can just warp instantly anywhere on the galaxy by finding glyphs addresses on internet and then getting your ship back. Without your ship you could teleport to 1LY form the center but you can't leave the planet, so no problem. Either that or disable planets with 1-2 glyphs addresses. 

There are no planets with 1-2 glyph addresses. Check the portal address on the planet you arrive on and you will see that it has a proper address using several glyphs.

This is a mechanic that seems to be deliberately put in by the developers. I think the idea is to get lots of users meeting up, briefly! Since this became possible, Ive met about 50 different players already. I built my base on one of those planets and now i get visitors regularly. My planet is a nice place to be now with all the visitors!! :-)

58 minutes ago, Hirnforscher said:

You don't have to do that - you can also build a signal scanner, take the coordinates and paste them into pahefu's Pilgrim Star Path tool: https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/ It tells you the distance to the center of the galaxy.

Yes youre spot on there.

I guess my point was that most players would not be using or be aware of the pilgrim star tool, because it doesnt come with the game. 

45 minutes ago, ShadowStefan said:

3.) Are there known portals close to other players bases to get the reunion trophy?

My base if just a 5 minute walk from the portal. Several players have used it for that trophy, including permadeath players. Make a save before you go through the portal. You can keep trying until you get here. It shouldnt take too many tries. 

System: Detadfal.

Planet name: Yewagesta Edvard.

Its a snowy planet about -47°C normally. My base is 5 minute walk exactly north of portal. You will see a few messages left there by other players.

Good luck!!

There are no planets with 1-2 glyph addresses. Check the portal address on the planet you arrive on and you will see that it has a proper address using several glyphs.

Then teleporting with just 1 glyph is definitely a glitch. This is what I have always been saying, and if they fix it (however they do it), it will disable this exploit to reach the center quickly.

How far do I have to go there to find a base and to call my ship - 'cause on permadeath this might be very hard after all.

Keep scanning, the first scans I did were pointing bases on the other hemisphere of the planet (+15h away). Eventually it pointed me to one just 10mins away (on Exocraft). You have to do this ASAP as more people could be claiming nearby bases, although most people just go back the Portal there are people like me that did not care, I just wanted the trophies, claimed my base and left it there so I could just recover my ship and reach the center (the planet is called Lutieneralat, extreme sentinel, 5K LY from center, arrived there by just putting 1 glyph on a Portal).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grbolivar said:

Then teleporting with just 1 glyph is definitely a glitch.

It depends on what your definition of a 'glitch' is. 

In my opinion, a glitch is something you can benefit from, but that the developers didnt create on purpose, or are not even aware of.

I think the developers did create this portal anomoly and are fully aware of the potential consequences. 

I think its too close to the centre though. For someone at the beginning of their game, it cuts out nearly all of the travelling. Perhaps 100K or 200K LY would have been better than 5K LY.

Okay guys, thanks for your help everyone! I took me old permadeath save now, where I only jumped 1 or 2 systems. I found myself a planet with a base and a portal and powered up the portal. Now I collected 100 nanites to get my first glyph, finally. 

From what I understand my next steps are: 1. Typing in 1 glyph 12 times to get close to the center. 2. Use a signal scanner to find a base there. 3. Claim my ship via some kind of exploit. 

...but, how does the ship claiming work? I didn't really understand that part yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ShadowStefan said:

...but, how does the ship claiming work? I didn't really understand that part yet.

Hi Stefan. 

I can see you there now on my planet. 

To claim your ship do as follows.

1. Find and claim new base on this planet.

2. Go back through portal to your ship.

3. Fly to nearest space station.

4. Teleport from station to your new base. Ship teleports with you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, michael_martin said:

Hi Stefan. 

I can see you there now on my planet. 

To claim your ship do as follows.

1. Find and claim new base on this planet.

2. Go back through portal to your ship.

3. Fly to nearest space station.

4. Teleport from station to your new base. Ship teleports with you.

Thanks a lot, I arrived at your planet with my ship now. Permadeath center of the galaxy trophy, here I come! :D 

Edited by ShadowStefan
  • Like 1

Sooo, even though this exploit/ glitch/ mistake or whatever it is helped me to get really close to the centre on Permadeath Mode, I had to realize that I still have a lot do to for the last 5500 lightyears. My permadeath file was only at a "just started" point where I just got the hyperdrive and did 1 or 2 warps. So here I am now, 5500 lightyears from the centre, but my ship only has the standard hyperdrive of 100 lightyears. Farming for 55+ warpcells doesn't seem like a fun thing to do, but how do I get warpdrive updates at this point? I know back then when I played NMS just after its release I got a warp drive sigma from Polo, but he is on the atlas path, right? Taking that path will only stray me from the centre though. So now I already farmed around 400k units through killing sentinels, but it's just so tedious... and how much money do I need for a ship that already has warp drive sigma anyway?

Long story short, do you guys have some good tips how to jump these 5500 lightyears quickly when you only have a beginner ship?

EDIT: 

Oh and by the way, I landed at @michael_martin's planet at my first try through the portal, I even met his entity there, but in my file for some reason his base wasn't there, so I could claim it for myself. But that also meant no Reunion trophy for me, since I basically did not visit another players base. 

Edited by ShadowStefan