PlayStation Twitter & Facebook Accounts Hacked, PSN Database Allegedly Stolen

Eyjabria

Just a heads up for everyone in case it turns out accounts have been compromised. 

Softpedia reports: "The official Twitter and Facebook PlayStation accounts were compromised late Sunday by hacking group OurMine, with the attackers claiming they had managed to get access to a PSN database." http://news.softpedia.com/news/playstation-accounts-hacked-psn-database-allegedly-stolen-517444.shtml

2 minutes ago, DarkSamuraii- said:

Apparently they only hack big companies to find loopholes and then report it to them afterwards. I don't think they're the "lets take over" kind. 

Considering they're the ones that have been hacking HBO recently and releasing episodes of tv series. I wouldn't put it past them

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Considering they're the ones that have been hacking HBO recently and releasing episodes of tv series. I wouldn't put it past them

Jeez. They call themselves a security group but we can't know for sure what they're doing. Never heard of a security group that releases TV episodes..

This group and the one that released the HBO episodes are not necessarily the same people.

This group is called OurMine and they're known for hacking social media accounts. I don't think they've ever claimed or been suspected to have leaked anything.

The people who released the episodes early called themselves Mr Smith. OurMine took HBO's Twitter a while after that happened, so maybe that caused the confusion.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Xeliot said:

Just shows how incompetent the IT people working at Sony.

Well, hackers are usually one step ahead. Sometimes two. Things like this sometimes happen even if everything was "secure" and well-maintained.

I just wish companies were more open and transparent about incidents like this and actually notified their customers about account compromises immediately. I remember getting a new credit card after hearing about a PSN account compromise MONTHS after it had happened. Also stopped using a credit card for my Sony purchases after that.

Might be a good idea to reset your passwords soon in any case. Let's hope our accounts are fine. :)

• Like 1

Pretty sure 'OurMine' is a hacking group that only hacks to help companies with loopholes, they do it with YouTube channels to. 

They usually upload a video saying 'Hacked by 'OurMine' email us to get your account back and safety questions. 

Agreed. But, as far as I know, I think the texts and posts HAVE BEEN deleted from Sony's official FB. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYZvSweE_Xw Now I believe if they were going to leak information, they would have already done so by now. They're hackers, yes, and I think hackers are dangerous no matter what, but I don't think anything is actually in harm's way.

On 8/21/2017 at 2:02 PM, Artful said:

Pretty sure 'OurMine' is a hacking group that only hacks to help companies with loopholes, they do it with YouTube channels to. 

They usually upload a video saying 'Hacked by 'OurMine' email us to get your account back and safety questions. 

Sounds like extortion to me.

Hackers are just useless homebodies, the majority of them are probably nearing-obesity.

Average hackers sayings

"Hey mom buy me some Cheetos and put them next to my door. "No I'm busy you can't come in". "I'm fine I have my friends(hacking buddies) online, so no i don't wanna go outside"

I only cheat on solo games, just to enjoy fucking around on like GTA 4 or 5, or nazi zombies.

Recently this was in my newspaper. A male 32 died from heart disease he was a computer engineer from Quebec. He just wasn't active, he enjoyed his work but it eventually destroy him.   

Edited by LOVEKuroyukihime

15 hours ago, ERGOPROXY-DECAY said:

Still hackers and someday theyll do harm if not now. We shouldnt be okaying this. 

The real issue here is that even if these guys are white hats who intend no harm, the same exploits are open for anyone until Sony does something about it. We should be thankful they pointed out security issues in their system so they can be fixed (if there were issues to begin with, could have been social engineering). It's up to Sony to shut down any holes now.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 7:56 AM, Xeliot said:

Just shows how incompetent the IT people working at Sony.

Nah, there's a saying for companies

"If you think you haven't been compromised, you probably have." You are never fully protected, period. 

Besides these guys have a reputation for being helpful(for a price, security isn't free!). Without those that find exploits, they'd never get fixed. 

Hacker has turned into a dirty word for a long time now, and it's sad. 

If you prefer call them "private advisors". 

12 hours ago, GameOverComesAll said:

Sounds like extortion to me.

If they can't find an exploit, then there's nothing they can do. 

Extortion requires the threat of releasing/selling the exploits to someone else btw. Of which they don't. 

On 8/21/2017 at 7:45 AM, Shadiochao said:

This group and the one that released the HBO episodes are not necessarily the same people.

This group is called OurMine and they're known for hacking social media accounts. I don't think they've ever claimed or been suspected to have leaked anything.

The people who released the episodes early called themselves Mr Smith. OurMine took HBO's Twitter a while after that happened, so maybe that caused the confusion.

^^^^ This

Edited by Dav9834

11 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

If they can't find an exploit, then there's nothing they can do. 

Extortion requires the threat of releasing/selling the exploits to someone else btw. Of which they don't. 

If they were actually trying to help these companies, there would be no reason for them to start these "negotiations" in public; rather they would just contact them directly. The fact that they do this all in public and demand that the companies go to them tells me they want something.

27 minutes ago, GameOverComesAll said:

If they were actually trying to help these companies, there would be no reason for them to start these "negotiations" in public; rather they would just contact them directly. The fact that they do this all in public and demand that the companies go to them tells me they want something.

Ya, money

And also companies despite what you may believe, don't like to spend money. So by making it public, the companies now have a pr issue with the public knowing that the companies have exploits. And we would want them fixed, regardless of who found it, the company or someone else. 

So ya, money.

Companies get the benefit of the knowledge of the exploits, we get the benefit that those exploits are fixed, and they get money for finding them.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 3:45 AM, Dav9834 said:

Ya, money

And also companies despite what you may believe, don't like to spend money. So by making it public, the companies now have a pr issue with the public knowing that the companies have exploits. And we would want them fixed, regardless of who found it, the company or someone else. 

So ya, money.

Companies get the benefit of the knowledge of the exploits, we get the benefit that those exploits are fixed, and they get money for finding them.  

So as I originally said; extortion.

2 hours ago, GameOverComesAll said:

So as I originally said; extortion.

:facepalm: no extortion requires a threat, like "I'm going to release these exploits to the public if you don't pay".

The only thing they released is what they said, they found exploits.