Hogglike

SugarIsTheDevil

So it seems the hogglike trophy has to be unlocked by completing the game without dying. In Nidhogg 1 you could let the cpu win after you were killed and then try to complete the level again without dying. I asked Mark Essen, the designer of the game, and these were his exact words: "for hogglike you have to do it in one go without retrying. unless i messed up".
Now that's going to be a problem. The AI is very unpredictable in arcade mode. You'd need great skill, luck and nerves of steel to complete it without dying. Does anyone have some good tips or strategies?

• Like 2

On 21/08/2017 at 8:46 PM, SugarIsTheDevil said:

So it seems the hogglike trophy has to be unlocked by completing the game without dying. In Nidhogg 1 you could let the cpu win after you were killed and then try to complete the level again without dying. I asked Mark Essen, the designer of the game, and these were his exact words: "for hogglike you have to do it in one go without retrying. unless i messed up".
Now that's going to be a problem. The AI is very unpredictable in arcade mode. You'd need great skill, luck and nerves of steel to complete it without dying. Does anyone have some good tips or strategies?

Keep at it boy!!! I'm thinking I might get the first one after I'm done with Sine Mora. You know how I like my ultra rares ?How would you rate it difficulty wise?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KaKrackle said:

Keep at it boy!!! I'm thinking I might get the first one after I'm done with Sine Mora. You know how I like my ultra rares 1f62c.pngHow would you rate it difficulty wise?

Hi Daniël! How are you? Sine Mora has one brutal trophy list. Do you think you can do it? How is it coming along?

The first Nidhogg isn't difficult at all if you ask me. You can cheese hogglike and for the online trophy you can self boost with a Vita and PS4. But you don't have a Vita anymore if I remember correctly so this will make the online trophy more time consuming to get. You'll need a boosting partner, because the online is dead.

As for Nidhogg 2, it's also easy except for the hogglike trophy. That one might be a 10/10 difficulty wise unless someone finds an exploit. I'm also surprised that I'm the only one who has the online trophy for getting 100 ranked wins. I believe it's a bit glitched, but I'm sure I haven't won more than 150 games so it wasn't too bad. Except for the rage quitters who deny you the win seconds before the game finishes. That was really frustrating. There are a lot of sore losers online for this game.

Edited by SugarIsTheDevil
  • Like 1

I'm cool. Ta for asking. I'm almost done with Sine Mora. I'm basically one requirement away from 100%. I just need to beat a stage on insane with zero pickups. I should be able to do it, but it won't be pretty.

Anyway, if I decide to get Nidhogg would you mind helping me boost? We can talk shit again, whilst my GF moans at me in the back ground again as usual haha. We never did get round to that NT guide btw.

10 hours ago, SugarIsTheDevil said:

Hi Daniël! How are you? Sine Mora has one brutal trophy list. Do you think you can do it? How is it coming along?

The first Nidhogg isn't difficult at all if you ask me. You can cheese hogglike and for the online trophy you can self boost with a Vita and PS4. But you don't have a Vita anymore if I remember correctly so this will make the online trophy more time consuming to get. You'll need a boosting partner, because the online is dead.

As for Nidhogg 2, it's also easy except for the hogglike trophy. That one might be a 10/10 difficulty wise unless someone finds an exploit. I'm also surprised that I'm the only one who has the online trophy for getting 100 ranked wins. I believe it's a bit glitched, but I'm sure I haven't won more than 150 games so it wasn't too bad. Except for the rage quitters who deny you the win seconds before the game finishes. That was really frustrating. There are a lot of sore losers online for this game.

Do you think Sine Mora is more difficult than Nuclear Throne? I'd maybe like to play it too, but it seems really hard.

As for Nidhogg, sure! Already looking forward to it :)

And indeed we didn't do that guide. It's good for the rarity I guess. We don't want people to know our secrets ;) Kidding aside. Do you still want to do it? I'm not sure if I have the motivation, but I might be able to find some if you want to do it.

On 25/08/2017 at 5:27 AM, SugarIsTheDevil said:

Do you think Sine Mora is more difficult than Nuclear Throne? I'd maybe like to play it too, but it seems really hard.

As for Nidhogg, sure! Already looking forward to it :)

And indeed we didn't do that guide. It's good for the rarity I guess. We don't want people to know our secrets ;) Kidding aside. Do you still want to do it? I'm not sure if I have the motivation, but I might be able to find some if you want to do it.

I have just got 100% and I'm the second person to do so. If you get it you will probably fly through the game until you get to the insane difficulty, with zero pick ups challenge. It's a total pain in the ass, and is gonna be a huge road block for allot of people going for a full trophy set. you should be able to do it though Boy. You got the skills man. It took me 65 hours altogether.

And I'm up for doing an NT guide still. Game time will be taking a hiatus soon as you know. It would give me something to do inbetween changing nappies and cleaning up vomit.

I already have a few videos recorded that we could use. B skins and stuff...

• 4 months later...

I've been trying to do it, but I haven't come close at all. It's just too hard. I cannot find a reliable tactic to defeat the opponent. He always does things I didn't see coming. The attack pattern of the cpu just seems too random. I wonder if anyone will ever be able to do it. I'd be very interested in seeing a video of it if someone does manage to do it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
13 minutes ago, ToLazyGaming said:

Someone somewhere finally earned hogglike but they arent in any leaderboard websites i can find 

Alike the vita, the PS4 recently got exploited in a way where a hacker pretty much put any trophy he wanted on his profile. If you go on PSNTL, you can actually still search up “In_Her_Own_Words” and that’s the person with the plat.

• 8 months later...
On 8/24/2017 at 8:16 AM, SugarIsTheDevil said:

That one might be a 10/10 difficulty wise unless someone finds an exploit. 

I'm on it (late reaction ?). 

I noticed you can quit back to the map to start the stage again, this is not possible in nidhogg 1 (you can only return to title screen). 

The cheese theory:

- Don't lose an arrow on the stage

- If you lose it, quit to the map and try again

- ????

- Beat all 10 stages and earn hogglike????

I will test this but the chances are low. Learning AI patterns are going to be difficult with the RNG weapons and added mechanics.

Edit:

Tested this method and got an error on the ice level so the run was lost, next time better luck hopefully. I recorded all deathless attempts for future use.

Edit2:

The theory doesn't work. Got decent strategies for each level recorded.

So the new theory is GIT GUD! 

Jokes aside, next theory is trying the Nidhogg 1 strategy of losing the match instead of quitting. The way of "ending the match" is different so maybe the code runs other checks.

There is no plan B yet but I'm working on it. 

Possible strats:

- make the game slow by forcing frame lag somehow so it's easier to beat the game. 

- use the slidekick the entire game, while running press :down: to roll and press :square: while rolling)

Edited by A1rPun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2019 at 4:05 PM, A1rPun said:

Jokes aside, next theory is trying the Nidhogg 1 strategy of losing the match instead of quitting. The way of "ending the match" is different so maybe the code runs other checks.

There is no plan B yet but I'm working on it. 

Possible strats:

- make the game slow by forcing frame lag somehow so it's easier to beat the game. 

- use the slidekick the entire game, while running press :down: to roll and press :square: while rolling)

This doesn't work either. I tried the Nidhogg 1 cheese when the game came out and kept having it crash on me (accidentally found a memory leak issue for the dev) and he was asked about it and said they specifically made it so you couldn't cheese it like the first game, so the only actual way to do it (outside of some current unknown exploit) is "Git Gud". 

With some of the things they added to the game I do think doing it legit would be easier than the first game, but it's still incredibly hard and luck based. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I started working on this a couple of weeks ago and I am pretty sure that Hogglike is legitimately possible in Nidhogg 2. Unlike Nidhogg 1, the AI in this game can be manipulated on a fairly consistent basis. By that, I mean in terms of where they spawn and how they attack. 

So far I’ve spent roughly 5-10 hours in Arcade Mode, and I’ve managed to clear the first 5/10 levels in a row without dying. At the moment I have some pretty solid strategies for the first five levels. The later levels seem a bit tougher though, mainly due to the introduction of the crossbow. I will need to invest more time into the game in order to come up with strategies on how to deal with that weapon. 

If anyone else plans on seriously attempting this at some point, let me know. I will be making a “guide” that includes the most reliable strategies in order to earn Hogglike. I will add you as a contributor if you are interested in viewing the strategies and sharing your own.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Smzthy said:

I started working on this a couple of weeks ago and I am pretty sure that Hogglike is legitimately possible in Nidhogg 2. Unlike Nidhogg 1, the AI in this game can be manipulated on a fairly consistent basis. By that, I mean in terms of where they spawn and how they attack. 

So far I’ve spent roughly 5-10 hours in Arcade Mode, and I’ve managed to clear the first 5/10 levels in a row without dying. At the moment I have some pretty solid strategies for the first five levels. The later levels seem a bit tougher though, mainly due to the introduction of the crossbow. I will need to invest more time into the game in order to come up with strategies on how to deal with that weapon. 

If anyone else plans on seriously attempting this at some point, let me know. I will be making a “guide” that includes the most reliable strategies in order to earn Hogglike. I will add you as a contributor if you are interested in viewing the strategies and sharing your own.

Nice work. I think this game is possible too. My personal best is 7/10 levels without dying. Haven't tried much in the past few months because the RNG factor is atrocious. There's certainly ways to trick the AI on certain parts, but for other parts you have to face them and more than ever they pull off the most ridiculous stuff that you cannot anticipate on. For example when your weapon gets thrown off and the AI immediately follows up with a throw attack. All in like 0.5 seconds? Its because of this sheer RNG that I havent tried much anymore, but good to see someone else tackling this.

Also the game has some issues. After clearing level #1 and #9 there's a small chance the game will give you an error and close the application. If that'd happen near the end of a real run I wouldn't know how to react. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it. Don't think so.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 6:50 PM, Floriiss said:

Nice work. I think this game is possible too. My personal best is 7/10 levels without dying. Haven't tried much in the past few months because the RNG factor is atrocious. There's certainly ways to trick the AI on certain parts, but for other parts you have to face them and more than ever they pull off the most ridiculous stuff that you cannot anticipate on. For example when your weapon gets thrown off and the AI immediately follows up with a throw attack. All in like 0.5 seconds? Its because of this sheer RNG that I havent tried much anymore, but good to see someone else tackling this.

Also the game has some issues. After clearing level #1 and #9 there's a small chance the game will give you an error and close the application. If that'd happen near the end of a real run I wouldn't know how to react. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it. Don't think so.

Yeah that’s true. RNG will always be a major factor in this game, but the good thing is that it can at least be reduced in some instances. 7/10 is very solid progress though. All it takes is good RNG for 3 more levels and then it’s done. 

About the crashing. I recently saw a post on Reddit where some guy had the game crash on him when he was one level away from earning Hogglike. In the end he ended up destroying his TV. Sadly I don’t think there’s any fix for it.

Also, I just added you to the guide. Feel free to share your strategies whenever you’re able to. Hopefully this game can be completed at some point in the future. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Are you guys still working/ trying to figure this out by chance? Because I'm trying to do this achievement on the Steam version too. NO ONE in the entire site except here would talk about it. I can confirm "cheesing" doesnt work either, so if you guys got some guide for each level, that would really help.

2 hours ago, KentaZXi said:

Are you guys still working/ trying to figure this out by chance? Because I'm trying to do this achievement on the Steam version too. NO ONE in the entire site except here would talk about it. I can confirm "cheesing" doesnt work either, so if you guys got some guide for each level, that would really help.

I'm assuming this is gonna be just as difficult as getting a single trophy in Attacking Zegeta 2.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Floriiss said:

Here is my run. As you can see at the begin of the video I just booted up the game. It was a fresh restart (I always restart the game after each clear, to avoid any errors/bluescreens). Went straight into singleplayer mode and didn't die a single time. No exploits, no backing out to the map, etc. No deaths.. but no trophy.. sadly.

This is a blank account btw. All of the other trophies popped like normal. The only thing I could think of is that you cannot lose your weapon either. I tested this out myself on the first level. There's a trophy on this list called "Domination", which is essential the same as "Hogglike", but it only requires you to beat one level without dying. As for the first level I've beaten it without dying and threw my weapon at the end, but the trophy still popped. So if you have to "Dominate" every level in a row for "Hogglike" then you'd expect that throwing weapons is allowed. Otherwise "Domination" wouldn't pop either. So I really think this trophy is just broken sadly.

I have two ideas you could try

1. Installing the game with no patches and attempting the trophy on version 1.00, its possible that the trophy broke in an update, this has happened in some other games. If you wanna dm me i could help you out with doing this its a bit of a process, requires a pc and a program called charles proxy

2. Attempting the trophy on another region of the game. If you have the european version of the game, make an American account and buy the american version or vice versa. Theres a chance it works on one version of the game and not the other.

Edited by PlatinumTrophy
Added more info
  • Like 2

Thanks for the tips. I could give it another shot on patch 1.0, but some spawns of the AI on that version are different so I'll have to adjust my strategies. Also on patch 1.0 you cannot move forward and block at the same time with certain weapons, so you need to stay put and that leaves you vulnerable for slide attacks.. thats why I never tried it on patch 1.0 as I feel like it's slightly harder.

Never saw myself doing this run more than once though. Even with the strategies there's times where you have to fight the AI the normal way and they tend to pull of so much random nonsense which you cannot anticipate on. It's not just skill dependant, but there's also a lot of luck involved.

On the bright side I've looked at the PC version and that version looks rather similar to the patch 1.0 version on PS4. I know for a fact that at least one other user on PC has obtained the achievement. So hopefully it can be done on patch 1.0 PS4 as well. Though if it doesn't unlock this time either I think it's safe to say it's unobtainable and I would even feel more disappointed.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Floriiss said:

I know for a fact that at least one other user on PC has obtained the achievement.

If you are just looking at global Steam stats then bear in mind, it's really easy to cheat Steam achievements and that those numbers are not reliable.

• Like 2