New to the Forums.

gfn21

Hey everyone! My name is Rick. I've had this account for years now, but I've never actually given the forums a proper shot. I've been wanting to do so for awhile now though and figured this was as good of a time as any. Definitely don't want to make this post any longer than it needs to be, so if you'd like to know more about my experience with trophies you can read over at http://thelevelupnetwork.weebly.com/blog/why-i-love-trophies-and-why-you-probably-shouldnt.

Excited to chat with you all about games, comics, trophies or anything else. Would love to hear your own stories about how/why you got into trophies, too!

• Like 1

Hi, Rick! Welcome to the madhouse.

I agree with trophies being better than achievements. My issue is that achievements seem more about the quantity of games rather than the quality, as your entire "score" is based on a single number. You could get 1000 points by working towards 100% in a single game, or you could get it by earning 100 separate achievements in really easy games. Ultimately, you're better off just playing a lot of games and skipping any achievements that look difficult, as there's no real incentive to ever get 100%. (Sure, harder achievements might be worth more points, but who cares when a handful of easy ones amount to the same thing?)

In contrast, you have to earn platinums, which means you're (ideally) going to play games you like and do everything that you can in them. Yes, there are still people who only care about having a high number, but at least you have incentive to keep playing the games you already own.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2017 at 10:37 AM, Sir_Bee said:

Welcome to the forums Rick.  I am currently at work, but I will take a look at that link when I get a minute.  Glad you decided to join us, and I look forward to seeing what you have to say :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

23 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

Hi, Rick! Welcome to the madhouse.

I agree with trophies being better than achievements. My issue is that achievements seem more about the quantity of games rather than the quality, as your entire "score" is based on a single number. You could get 1000 points by working towards 100% in a single game, or you could get it by earning 100 separate achievements in really easy games. Ultimately, you're better off just playing a lot of games and skipping any achievements that look difficult, as there's no real incentive to ever get 100%. (Sure, harder achievements might be worth more points, but who cares when a handful of easy ones amount to the same thing?)

In contrast, you have to earn platinums, which means you're (ideally) going to play games you like and do everything that you can in them. Yes, there are still people who only care about having a high number, but at least you have incentive to keep playing the games you already own.

Totally agree! Having a legitimate reward for getting the full 100% on a trophy list is really great.

Its another thing about the system I've grown to appreciate. I didn't go for platinums very often until the PS4 rolled around, but I'm glad I started. They're super satisfying to earn. 

Edited by gfn21
  • Like 1

Hello and welcome, Rick. Interesting read. I like trophies more than achievements just because of platinums. I've found that Gold, Silver, and Bronze trophies aren't good indicators in terms of difficulty. It is nice that there is only 3 categories, unlike achievements which have no logical sense when it comes to numbering. I started achievement hunting on my 360. I switched to a PS4 when Destiny came out and regretted it at first (cause Destiny) but now I'm quite pleased of my decision. Still dust of the old girl every blue moon but don't care much about achievements.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlueDragonRR said:

Hello and welcome, Rick. Interesting read. I like trophies more than achievements just because of platinums. I've found that Gold, Silver, and Bronze trophies aren't good indicators in terms of difficulty. It is nice that there is only 3 categories, unlike achievements which have no logical sense when it comes to numbering. I started achievement hunting on my 360. I switched to a PS4 when Destiny came out and regretted it at first (cause Destiny) but now I'm quite pleased of my decision. Still dust of the old girl every blue moon but don't care much about achievements.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm the same, still play on my Xbox here and there but don't worry about achievements anymore. 

Glad you're happy you made the switch! ?

• Like 1

Hey, Rick! ?

Welcome to PSNProfiles! Have fun and enjoy your stay. Lots of other Gamers to play with and Trophies to earn. 

I as well love trophies, because there's a bonus trophy you unlock after all others are earned. I also adore the PSN Level system and the Points, etc. :D 

• Like 1