Your thoughts on Xbox and future

atlasxof-

Simple. Microsoft struggled to top PS4 sales since, so Microsoft did a truly mistake by porting their once-before franchises exclusive to XBox on PC. While this decision opened more opportunity to taste those Microsoft games and to Microsoft to get more money, it killed off reasons for PC owners (including myself) to get an XBox One for their exclusives since you can simply purchase those games on PC instead.

Then the upcoming XBox One X, they brag how it is the "most powerful" console yet compared to the PS4 Pro, that it does Native 4K resolution. Yet, they can't make all games 4K 60fps :P They don't give good reasons to own an XBox One X if third-party games will most take advantage of it.

With the lack of exclusive XBox games (and the fact that they are and will be on PC too), I believe that Microsoft is slowly killing off XBox brand and they focus on their Windows platform. I will always still believe that exclusives sell a console.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I want to say I'm glad there's a competent counter to the Playstation ecosystem.  Competition promotes growth and keeps all sides on their toes (trophies were the PS3's answer to the 360's achievement system).  It benefits the consumer with better deals and gives them the choice if they don't like what one side is offering.  And the Xbox One provides a similar experience to the PS4.  I no longer have faith in Nintendo and their offerings to provide me the same experience I can get on a much more powerful platform, in fact they seem to be going the opposite way towards mobile.  And PC is just PC; it's always been there and by itself is not considered a direct threat to the three console platforms (you got Valve for that).

The Xbox One is not gonna top the PS4 ever, even their strongest markets has the PS4 as the leader.  The PS4 was a better designed system, not to mention Microsoft fucked up with their original vision (Kinect mandatory, cannot freely share games).  The X1 as we know today is more of a salvage attempt to make up for their failures.  Still love the exclusives that came out like Killer Instinct and Rare Replay, no doubt about that.  Recently, they'll also seem to be sucking in producing more exclusives and canceling very hyped ones like Scalebound.

As for their future, the Xbox brand will still exist.  Their controllers are still loved by many and I can't see the Playstation standing alone unless the whole industry shifts towards mobile gaming.  But Microsoft is primarily a software-based company.  I can use Office on a Mac and my android tablet.  They've developed hardware, but it's only been recently that they made a full computer. 

Xbox will continue to branch out to PCs and mobile, and we may or may not see another console (I'm betting on it).  I hope they do better next gen, cuz even with a stronger PC market share Sony can still be arrogant when they're in the lead.  Just look at their view on cross-network.

Also Minecraft.  That still sells.  ?

I think I can't see the future, and I think I'm only as informed as a consumer can be, I don't know all the ins and outs of these companies. 

Look, we all know the story. PS1 and 2 killed, Sony let it go to their head, the PS3 was a fuck up (but they recovered, I know), then the PS4 went like crazy and they got lazy (yes, they did, and I can get into it if you really want, but I'm trying to keep it brief). Xbox didn't do wonders, 360 killed it, Microsoft let it go to their head, then the Xbone was a fuck up at first but since then, back in the underdog position, they have done everything they can to claw their way out. 

Moral of the story: When a company has a ridiculously popular console, it always seems to go to their head and the consumer loses, but when a company has an underperforming console, they do what they can and the consumer usually ends up winning.

Keeping it strictly Microsoft, as per the topic, the Xbox One has a bright future and a great present, even if I doubt it will ever beat PS4 in sales. 

As it stands, in the last year or two Xbox has

. Made backward compatibility for 360 games a thing

. Announced they're working on OG Xbox compatibility

. Cut their prices dramatically (regular 275-ish deals here with over 100 bucks worth of included games)

. Ditched that bullshit Kinect and cut their loses

. Announced a superpowered console in the Xbone X.

. Actively worked toward cross platform play with PC, mobile and even fucking Nintendo.

PlayStation in the same time frame meanwhile, has

. Upped the cost of PS+, twice.

. Brought out PS2 compatibility, but charge 23 bucks for a copy of GTA 3 in 2017.

. Removed support for PlayStation Now on PS3, Vita, and TVs, arguably the coolest part of PS Now.

. Killed PlayStation Mobile, leaving no way to redownload (which, honestly, I know no one cares, but it's the fact they were willing to do it)

. Also cut their prices, but nowhere near as competitively as Xbox

. Brought out a VR machine, which is cool and all, but to get it and the required accessories you're looking at upwards of $700, and a new slim PS4 can be had for <300.

. Brought out the PS4 Pro, which is still yet to prove it's worth (same can be said for Xbone X, I know)

. Straight up stood in the way and blocked cross platform play every chance it gets.

To put it in other words. When the PS3 tanked, Sony got competitive, released great games, dropped the price, cut some loses, and kicked ass. When the Xbone tanked, it did pretty much the exact same thing. So the whole point so far, is to say that the underdog seems to be the best one in terms of consumer friendliness.

Moving on from the present though, into the future. For Xbox, I don't know what it is. They have the Scorpio on one hand, but that's already being caught out at not being able to be 4K in all situations. On the other hand, they are trying to make more and more of their games work on PC too at no extra cost so like, that's another way. I don't know though. Like, then there's the standard Xbone as well. More and more it looks like they're simply trying to make all your games be everywhere. Bringing in 360 and OG Xbone games is step one, bringing in / out more PC stuff is part two. I think the big thing is that if the Scorpio is already hitting the walls, it's more likely already that it won't be pushed to it's fullest potential. 1 because it can barely handle it, 2 because it's more effort than it's worth, 3 because upscaling an Xbone game to look a bit prettier is easier, and 4 because it isn't proven yet. I see the Scorpio having a bunch of great games, but overall not being worth it over the Xbone / S, as with the PSPro at this point. With that in mind, I could see them trying more and more to push into PC gaming too. They're kind of just spreading themselves as thin as they can and in many respects that's great. Xbone has clearly given up on winning the war, but it's own place in the landscape is still worthwile.

I'm rambling and over the place, apologies if you actually read this.

But basically. Xbox is putting it's games everywhere it can. OG and 360 on the Bone. The Bone on your PC. Your PC on the Bone. Everything everywhere, and that's not such a bad idea. PlayStation is sticking with the proven console format, at least for now, and that's not such a bad idea either.

I think, despite being very similar in many aspects, the two are, at least now, on completely different paths, and that's awesome. The more options and choices, the better.

And just for the fuck of it, I've been playing a bit of Dead Rising 3 recently on the Bone, and it's a terrific game. Can definitely recommend if you want something that's exclusive to Xbone (and PC) to show off your new VCR box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

And just for the fuck of it, I've been playing a bit of Dead Rising 3 recently on the Bone, and it's a terrific game. Can definitely recommend if you want something that's exclusive to Xbone (and PC) to show off your new VCR box.

Yeah, DR3 is a lot of fun. Sunset Overdrive is still the highlight of the X1 console exclusives IMO, and it is probably never coming to other platforms. But I enjoyed Dead Rising 3 a lot, and I still have most of the DLC to play through, when I get around to it. 

As you said, Microsoft has been working hard to regain some ground after being the underdog, and that is good for the consumer. What is mind boggling to me is that they just can't make enough interesting exclusives. Implementing backwards compatibility was a great idea, especially for people like me that never had a X360. But it seems like they have relied on BC to increase the X1's library, instead of cranking out exclusives. They're not doing much to attract people looking for new games; they mostly seem to be relying on BC, Forza, Halo, and Gears. And I don't think that's enough. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller