Best obscured PS3 game in your opinion?

RedDead3001

Stranglehold springs to mind. Really great early-gen third person shooter, with enough of its own personality to differentiate from Max Payne, the game it was probably based on. Not the most ambitious title (or the longest), but it had a few things that seemed like a big deal on console in 2007: destructible and interactive environments, for instance, both of which actually worked. Shame it was never patched for trophies. 

Wheelman is another one. Released just before (or just after) Midway went under, so didn't get much of a marketing push. Bad reviews probably didn't help either, although I never saw the problem. No, it doesn't have the driving model of GTA or the shooting model of Uncharted, but for what it is - a driving-oriented open-world game made on a tight budget - it's pretty damn good. Great trophy list. Plus digital Vin Diesel, if you're into that.

If you add underrated in addition to the definition of obscure video games, then Valkyria Chronicles (yes it's on PS4 but it's a remaster of the PS3 game). We don't talk about the spin off title Valkyria Revolution however.

Edited by wackt1

The rebooted Syndicate is one of the best 1st person shooters out there, and had a FANTASTIC coop multiplayer component, but did not sell well at all, and seems rather under appreciated.

I also think The Sabateur was not given the credit it deserved, and neither was the awesome 3D Dot Game Heroes

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

One game that I loved that did not get enough notice was Vanquish.

It was short, but the mechanics were awesome!

Yep, I totally forgot about this game even though I platted it (wanted to throw my controller out the window so many times because of challenges.). I loved the game when it first came to PS plus.

Edited by wackt1

for my own little list I say, shadows of the damned, akiba's trip ps3 and siren blood course and  3d dot game heroes along with the darkness 1 and midway arcade and sega mega drive and medal of honor airborne oh and cod 3.

Ps: just remembered a few more, the others being deadly premonition, vanquish, short peace ranko tsukigime's longest day and stranglehold. All of them games went pass everyone I know and met. Much like games on ps2, games like haven call of the king, headhunter and ghouthunter and lastly sphinx and the cursed mummy come to mind on ps2 games that are like this list.

Edited by KANERKB

I wasn't sure what you meant by obscure at first... but I have:

• Tokyo Jungle
  • Entwined 

In all honesty these are probably not the best, but are the only ones I own that I think can be called obscure.
Other people have mentioned some I really want to get though!

• Nier
  • Drakengard 3
  • Bulletstorm
  • Legend of the Guardians Owls of Ga'Hoole 
  • The Darkness II

I'll also probably check out all the other games mentioned here too. I like finding lesser heard of games. 

I don't feel that any of the games listed in this thread could be identified as "obscure".

Rare, sure. But most are western releases of eastern AAA style games. Or mass

produced hogwash that just didn't sell well.

Since I only play physical copies, here are my personal picks.

Afrika

Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories

Class of Heroes 2G

Most obscure of all in my book would be the physical version of this India exclusive.

Ra.One

9 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

I don't feel that any of the games listed in this thread could be identified as "obscure".

Rare, sure. But most are western releases of eastern AAA style games. Or mass

produced hogwash that just didn't sell well.

Well, that's good then, because the thread says "Obscured" not "Obscure"

Obscure games are little known because they simply had small releases or limited runs, or were only out in certain territories.

Obscured games had every chance to be popular, i.e. had a full release on-par with other, more well known or popular titles, but were, for whatever reason, overlooked. They were not obscure, but were obscured.

apologies if English is not your first language - this might seem like a nit-pick, but it is a significant distinction in this instance - had the title said "obscure" my list would have been a different set of games entirely.

Edited by DrBloodmoney

I'm really glad to see The Saboteur listed here a couple times.  That's the only game I would add to a list like this that I've played.  It's amazing, I got it based solely on a handful of random reviews on ebay of all places and it did not disappoint.  I played it on 360 first, then borrowed the ps3 copy from a coworker years later and got the plat.  I would be first in line to buy a copy if it got ported to PS4, which I know will never happen, but one can dream.

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Well, that's good then, because the thread says "Obscured" not "Obscure"

Gosh darnit.

English is, in fact, my first language. Being awake for over 40 hours just made me read the title wrong.

I am a connoisseur of all things obscure I thought this was just the thread for me.

And since I have now redacted my first statement, my new and improved list would include...

Knights Contract

Venetica

The Saboteur

Blades of Time

The Cursed Crusade

Edited by grifteskymfning
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, grifteskymfning said:

English is, in fact, my first language. Being awake for over 40 hours just made me read the title wrong.

I actually read it wrong too now that it's been pointed out... whoops. Well my excuse is that I'm always tired. xD 

I recently picked up "Siren Blood Curse" on disc. There are no trophies so I don't think it will be here, I believe it's a remake of the PS2 Siren game. I think it's obscure, I've never seen it before on digital or hard copy, It's a great game so far.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 1:57 PM, DrBloodmoney said:

The rebooted Syndicate is one of the best 1st person shooters out there, and had a FANTASTIC coop multiplayer component, but did not sell well at all, and seems rather under appreciated.

I also think The Sabateur was not given the credit it deserved, and neither was the awesome 3D Dot Game Heroes

On 8/27/2017 at 10:20 PM, DarkHarmonixer said:

3D Dot Game Heroes

Conan

Damnation

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut

Enslaved Odyssey to the West

Folklore
Nier

Overlord Raising Hell and 2

There are a lot of people citing this, but 3-D Dot Game Heroes outsold its projections sixfold, and gave developer Silicon Studios all of the rep it needed to develop Bravely Default, which was a million seller in its own right. I only wish that the studio had taken the idea of the "dot game" to a classic turn-based RPG for the PS3.

Like you guys, I wish more people still had played it, but it certainly got its due, and then some.