Tales of Project Platinum

sundrew

5 hours ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Unfortunately I don't own a vita 1f601.png

Get a PSTV. You can use your PS3 or PS4 controllers with it and it runs games very nicely on big screens. I played most of Tales of Hearts R on it and every time I did it reminded me of those old days playing Symphonia. The simplicity of the models and animations, the music, its an awesome game. Not to mention the battle system which is fucking awesome.

• Like 1

On 09/09/2017 at 10:54 AM, sundrew said:

Congratulations on your Tales of Vesperia emblem!! Looking forward to seeing your next rank upgrade :).

I completely agree that Tales of the Abyss was a massive step-up from a coop perspective. I remember being Genis in Symphonia and not being able to see what was hitting me and Lloyd was off hitting something that wasn't attacking me -_-.

Welcome guys! You two both have 5 games completed + the 2 bonus emblems so I've added you at Undine. One more plat for an upgrade to Efreet!

Thank you! By the way, does Tales of Innocence R and Vesperia not count towards the ranking? 

6 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

Thank you! By the way, does Tales of Innocence R and Vesperia not count towards the ranking? 

Someone didn't read the post =P. Japanese only games give you special emblems but do not count toward your rank.

It should be noted that the spirits have decided to exclude two games, Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Innocence R, as they don’t feel it is right to subject you to play something you cannot understand. Instead, you will be given something else, a special emblem, for obtaining the Platinum for those. Should they ever become localized, then they will be required. The emblems will be added next to your name in the sections above.

3 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Someone didn't read the post =P. Japanese only games give you special emblems but do not count toward your rank.

sorry, i must have skipped over the post! ok sure, that's no worries. I doubt these two will get localised, but I hope a new Tales comes out on PS4 soon as I'm not up for getting the plats in Zestiria or Symphonia ?

3 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I doubt these two will get localised, but I hope a new Tales comes out on PS4 soon as I'm not up for getting the plats in Zestiria or Symphonia ?

Whats so bad about Zestiria's Platinum? I've read RNG plays a factor but it doesn't seem too bad. Is it because the game sucks? I have only played a few hours. The battle system felt clunky so I didn't feel like going back to it, especially when I still had games like Xillia 2 to play.

About Symphonia and DotNW, yeah, both seem super annoying to platinum. I think I will still get Symphonia's eventually, but DotNW I doubt I will ever have the will to plat it.

6 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Whats so bad about Zestiria's Platinum? I've read RNG plays a factor but it doesn't seem too bad. Is it because the game sucks? I have only played a few hours. The battle system felt clunky so I didn't feel like going back to it, especially when I still had games like Xillia 2 to play.

About Symphonia and DotNW, yeah, both seem super annoying to platinum. I think I will still get Symphonia's eventually, but DotNW I doubt I will ever have the will to plat it.

There's nothing wrong with the plat, I just hated the game so much that just finishing the story took effort. I was too bored with to do post game or ng+. I was surprised with myself as I love Tales and have played almost all of them. Also, I never got my head around that skill board and lining up 16 skills of the same group etc for the trophies, but it was mainly that I didn't like it. I bought it for only ¥500/$5 anyway and Berseria had already come out when I played it which I wanted to move on to. I was disappointed in Zestiria as Tales had been great so far, happy that Berseria made up for it as I really enjoyed it.

I would like to plat symphonia of it just had one important thing: Skip cutscenes. Never got around to DoTW, it was my last ps3 game before I got the PS4 so I just never played it in the end

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

There's nothing wrong with the plat, I just hated the game so much that just finishing the story took effort. I was too bored with to do post game or ng+. I was surprised with myself as I love Tales and have played almost all of them. Also, I never got my head around that skill board and lining up 16 skills of the same group etc for the trophies, but it was mainly that I didn't like it. I bought it for only ¥500/$5 anyway and Berseria had already come out when I played it which I wanted to move on to. I was disappointed in Zestiria as Tales had been great so far, happy that Berseria made up for it as I really enjoyed it.

I would like to plat symphonia of it just had one important thing: Skip cutscenes. Never got around to DoTW, it was my last ps3 game before I got the PS4 so I just never played it in the end

Oh crap, thats right, I'm so used to current games having cutscene skips that I didn't realize Symphonia doesn't have that. And for a game you have to at least do 4 playthroughs, thats massive.

In Zestiria I didn't even get to that board of skills or whatever it is. I liked that it had these skills you could unlock by grinding certain battle feats, but so far the battles were worse than Graces F prologue (before the cool ass Style Shift stuff). I can live with a shitty story, but I can't put up with boring battles. And now after you said I'm even less interested, lol.

DotNW I played and finished on Wii when it was new. I was so disappointed it had such a low budget. Its in the middle ground between a spin off and an actual Tales game. I would plat it if it was straight forward, but its just like Symphonia: several playthroughs cause of different titles, lots of things to be aware off, etc

2 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

Oh crap, thats right, I'm so used to current games having cutscene skips that I didn't realize Symphonia doesn't have that. And for a game you have to at least do 4 playthroughs, thats massive.

In Zestiria I didn't even get to that board of skills or whatever it is. I liked that it had these skills you could unlock by grinding certain battle feats, but so far the battles were worse than Graces F prologue (before the cool ass Style Shift stuff). I can live with a shitty story, but I can't put up with boring battles. And now after you said I'm even less interested, lol.

DotNW I played and finished on Wii when it was new. I was so disappointed it had such a low budget. Its in the middle ground between a spin off and an actual Tales game. I would plat it if it was straight forward, but its just like Symphonia: several playthroughs cause of different titles, lots of things to be aware off, etc

I have to agree on Dawn of the New World as I played it on Wii too. Symphonia is a hard plat but it's a good game. Dawn of the New World is a hard plat on a not-good game (why were the original characters just cameos? why did we need monster breeding? why were all the sidequests the same?). It just feels like one of the toughest Tales games to grind through and plat because it's not that enjoyable.

On 9/10/2017 at 4:02 PM, AndresLionheart said:

Get a PSTV. You can use your PS3 or PS4 controllers with it and it runs games very nicely on big screens. I played most of Tales of Hearts R on it and every time I did it reminded me of those old days playing Symphonia. The simplicity of the models and animations, the music, its an awesome game. Not to mention the battle system which is fucking awesome.

I support this! Tales of Hearts R + Persona 4 Golden make the PSTV/PS Vita worth the cost of entry. Tales of Hearts R does have a great battle system and on top of that, all the characters feel distinctly different in combat but are all a blast to play. Heartily recommend!

6 hours ago, sundrew said:

I have to agree on Dawn of the New World as I played it on Wii too. Symphonia is a hard plat but it's a good game. Dawn of the New World is a hard plat on a not-good game (why were the original characters just cameos? why did we need monster breeding? why were all the sidequests the same?). It just feels like one of the toughest Tales games to grind through and plat because it's not that enjoyable.

I support this! Tales of Hearts R + Persona 4 Golden make the PSTV/PS Vita worth the cost of entry. Tales of Hearts R does have a great battle system and on top of that, all the characters feel distinctly different in combat but are all a blast to play. Heartily recommend!

I agree with your opinion on DoTW. I played the first bit, but found Martha and Emil to be somewhat annoying and childish, and I felt really awkward at Martha's overly forward lovey-dovey behaviour that the skits were just too cringy to bear. So I never made it past the bit where you meet Colette and just moved onto the world of the PS4. The 120 hour estimate time to plat was a quite long as well, which sort of put me off as I didn't get an initial good impression of the game.

Hearts R had an amazing battle system, it was one of my favourites after to Xillia 2's link and multi weapon system and Graces of course. A must for any RPG/Tales fan with a Vita along with P4G. 

8 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

It's because of the cutscenes that the estimated plat time is 150+ hours. It's requirements are similar to Vesperia.. 100% everything from titles, items and the monster to having Zelos hit on all the women. The game was just too slow paced, while Vesperia had skip scenes so my speed-run was only 4 and half hours. Symphonia had a great story and characters as well, so the lack of skip scenes for use trophy hunters was sort of disappointing. 

Zestiria had the worst battle system in the entire Tales series imo. The lack of editing the party (since you have to have Sorey and Rose who just kept dying, so you could technically only change about 2 characters instead of the usual 4) plus the bad camera work made bosses and the cameo battles a real pain. The skills board and Normin thing really boggled my mind so I pretty much ignored it. The plat needs tons of grinding for all the skills board and weapon related trophies as well, and with that battle system on top of an overly complicated skill system, I just decided to give it a pass. It just wasn't worth the 90+ hours needed, especially among all the other new games that came out this year that need playing (and platinuming?!) 

5 hours ago, fantrig99 said:

Hi I recently did Tales of Zestiria on the PS3 can I add one more game completed?

Edit: Sorry I think I have already added in the past. Apologies for my mistake.

We were talking about Zestiria's platinum. Mind sharing your experience? Stuff like how much did you suffer, was it fun or not, what was the shittiest part of it and anything you want to share about it.

11 hours ago, fantrig99 said:

Hi I recently did Tales of Zestiria on the PS3 can I add one more game completed?

Edit: Sorry I think I have already added in the past. Apologies for my mistake.

6 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

We were talking about Zestiria's platinum. Mind sharing your experience? Stuff like how much did you suffer, was it fun or not, what was the shittiest part of it and anything you want to share about it.

When I relaunched this PP recently, I went through everyone's profiles one by one and updated their game counts/ranks. It looks like you platted Zestiria before I relaunched this PP so your position on the leaderboard should be correct.

And yes! Any thoughts or advice on the Zestiria experience would be appreciated while it's still fresh on your mind.

Okay, I just lost my whole text because I accidentally clicked on 'next unread topic' below. Well, here is the 'abridged' version I guess ?

Wow, I can't believe how much people hate Zestiria ?

Sure, it had the same story as every other Tales of game, which is actually pretty boring and clichéd (but can be interesting with the right characters), but as every other tales of game has it, you can't really blame Zestiria for that. I remember liking the characters and the world was really pretty.

But I guess that's because I don't look at games as part of a series. Take Final Fantasy 13 for example. It was actually a decent game. Sure, there are better games in the series, but as a game on it's own, without the series title, it was a good game.

And that's the same with Zestiria. There were better games in the series like Xillia 1 and 2, but there were worse ones like Graces f (in my opinion! ?). And if you just look at Zestiria without the series title, it is a decent game I at least had a lot of fun with.

Well, that's my opinion anyway. And I just saw that I almost platinumed Tales of Hearts R, so maybe I could make that my first Tales of platinum :)

Edit: I should clarify that I'm the kind of person that doesn't care that much about game mechanics. I rather enjoy a good story and great characters than have to deal with overly complex game mechanics. Maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't hate Zestiria!

Edited by Kurorac
expanded

19 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

12 hours ago, sundrew said:

When I relaunched this PP recently, I went through everyone's profiles one by one and updated their game counts/ranks. It looks like you platted Zestiria before I relaunched this PP so your position on the leaderboard should be correct.

And yes! Any thoughts or advice on the Zestiria experience would be appreciated while it's still fresh on your mind.

Thanks! In regards to the Zestiria platinum it is quite time consuming took around 115 hours with two playthroughs but probably due to my luck in equipment dropping rate. The parts I struggled were finding all the Monoliths (used a walkthrough) and missed one so took awhile to locate it. Getting all the items especially the last 20 or so to get to 90% was also difficult for me. I think by fighting every 5 battles or so in an area of the game the shop list updates and went to purchase the equipment missing (I never sold a single equipment to know what I'm missing on the list).

The tedious experience was the very long equipment grind in Zaphgott Morr on chaos difficulty to get Lindwer skills on every slot of the equipment for sweet 16. That also helped in beating Heldalf on most difficulties.

The worst experience was definitely making all the snacks. Took more than 10 hours or so to get Marron Glace with the controller in rubber band and running in circles at Zaphgott Morr. 

In the end, I quite enjoyed Tales of Zestiria as a JRPG giving it a 7 but comparing to other Tales of games in the series its probably not as good. The dungeons were a little boring and indoor battles were difficult due to the confusing camera. Story and music were pretty good but I wished a certain character would stay in the main party. Personally my favorite Tales of are Tales of Symphonia being my first Tales of game and Tales of Xillia 2 with the quite dark story! I'm looking forward to get the Zestiria DLC sometime in the future and finish off the story. Recently I purchased a Vita so also looking forward to getting Tales of Hearts R.   

Edited by fantrig99
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Kurorac said:

Okay, I just lost my whole text because I accidentally clicked on 'next unread topic' below. Well, here is the 'abridged' version I guess 1f61e.png

Wow, I can't believe how much people hate Zestiria 1f605.png

Sure, it had the same story as every other Tales of game, which is actually pretty boring and clichéd (but can be interesting with the right characters), but as every other tales of game has it, you can't really blame Zestiria for that. I remember liking the characters and the world was really pretty.

But I guess that's because I don't look at games as part of a series. Take Final Fantasy 13 for example. It was actually a decent game. Sure, there are better games in the series, but as a game on it's own, without the series title, it was a good game.

And that's the same with Zestiria. There were better games in the series like Xillia 1 and 2, but there were worse ones like Graces f (in my opinion! 1f609.png). And if you just look at Zestiria without the series title, it is a decent game I at least had a lot of fun with.

Well, that's my opinion anyway. And I just saw that I almost platinumed Tales of Hearts R, so maybe I could make that my first Tales of platinum :)

Edit: I should clarify that I'm the kind of person that doesn't care that much about game mechanics. I rather enjoy a good story and great characters than have to deal with overly complex game mechanics. Maybe that's one of the reasons I didn't hate Zestiria!

13 hours ago, fantrig99 said:

Thanks! In regards to the Zestiria platinum it is quite time consuming took around 115 hours with two playthroughs but probably due to my luck in equipment dropping rate. The parts I struggled were finding all the Monoliths (used a walkthrough) and missed one so took awhile to locate it. Getting all the items especially the last 20 or so to get to 90% was also difficult for me. I think by fighting every 5 battles or so in an area of the game the shop list updates and went to purchase the equipment missing (I never sold a single equipment to know what I'm missing on the list).

The tedious experience was the very long equipment grind in Zaphgott Morr on chaos difficulty to get Lindwer skills on every slot of the equipment for sweet 16. That also helped in beating Heldalf on most difficulties.

The worst experience was definitely making all the snacks. Took more than 10 hours or so to get Marron Glace with the controller in rubber band and running in circles at Zaphgott Morr. 

In the end, I quite enjoyed Tales of Zestiria as a JRPG giving it a 7 but comparing to other Tales of games in the series its probably not as good. The dungeons were a little boring and indoor battles were difficult due to the confusing camera. Story and music were pretty good but I wished a certain character would stay in the main party. Personally my favorite Tales of are Tales of Symphonia being my first Tales of game and Tales of Xillia 2 with the quite dark story! I'm looking forward to get the Zestiria DLC sometime in the future and finish off the story. Recently I purchased a Vita so also looking forward to getting Tales of Hearts R.   

Thanks for your thoughts guys! ? These PPs are meant to foster discussion about our favorite games and help motivate each other to plat them. Your contributions are much appreciated!

Zestiria sounds like a toughhh plat. I'll reference this for sure before I get started - I haven't seen many good guides out there for it.

Tales of Hearts R is one of my favorites. Awesome combat system and I enjoyed playing as a bunch of the characters. It's also one of the easier Tales games to plat so both of you should go for it! 

There are only two somewhat hard parts for the plat:

1) Keeping track of the Namcoins - only 1 is missable early in the game, but I'd recommend you use a checklist/guide. We've got a great guide with screenshots on this site!

2) The balloon challenge (Balloonatic trophy) which will probably be one of your last trophies. It's tough because a number of the characters have skill sets that are just really bad suited for popping balloons. Come back to this thread if you're having trouble with it and I'll be happy to give you some extra thoughts.

• Like 2

On 14.9.2017 at 2:41 PM, sundrew said:

Tales of Hearts R is one of my favorites. Awesome combat system and I enjoyed playing as a bunch of the characters. It's also one of the easier Tales games to plat so both of you should go for it! 

There are only two somewhat hard parts for the plat:

1) Keeping track of the Namcoins - only 1 is missable early in the game, but I'd recommend you use a checklist/guide. We've got a great guide with screenshots on this site!

2) The balloon challenge (Balloonatic trophy) which will probably be one of your last trophies. It's tough because a number of the characters have skill sets that are just really bad suited for popping balloons. Come back to this thread if you're having trouble with it and I'll be happy to give you some extra thoughts.

I used the guide here on this site for the Namcoin one from the beginning, so that was easy.

I really just have to beat the boss on the higher difficulties and do the balloon trophy. I think I stopped while grinding more grade for a second playthrough. So not really much left to do.

Edited by Kurorac

1 hour ago, Kurorac said:

I really just have to beat the boss on the higher difficulties and do the balloon trophy.

A heads up if you are using the guide here for those trophies. Don't trust it about the difficulty of the final boss. I was preparing expecting an NA Abyss' Nebilim on Unknown (1 or 2 hit kills, high defense).

While trying to get some drops from the EX dungeon I said "screw it" after like 30 minutes of nothing dropping and just went to the final boss thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference. Man was I over prepared for that... I destroyed the dude in half the time the guide said with not even the AI dying to anything.

Level 200 is all you really need (which is needed for a trophy anyway)

3 hours ago, AndresLionheart said:

A heads up if you are using the guide here for those trophies. Don't trust it about the difficulty of the final boss. I was preparing expecting an NA Abyss' Nebilim on Unknown (1 or 2 hit kills, high defense).

While trying to get some drops from the EX dungeon I said "screw it" after like 30 minutes of nothing dropping and just went to the final boss thinking it wouldn't make much of a difference. Man was I over prepared for that... I destroyed the dude in half the time the guide said with not even the AI dying to anything.

Level 200 is all you really need (which is needed for a trophy anyway)

Well then I guess I'll try it again. My characters are all lvl 200 already. Will put it on download through the night.

But first I'll play Atelier Escha & Logy, because I've waited a long time for that game. 

On 9/14/2017 at 0:17 AM, Chansey said:

Go ahead and take my name off the list. It's ShadowStar83x if you're too lazy to look it up. xD

You've been removed.

22 hours ago, Izul said:

I'd like to join too :) Still need to work on a few more Tales of platinums, but it's one of my favorite J-RPG series. 

1. Tales of Graces f
  2. Tales of Symphonia
  3. Tales of Xillia
  4. Tales of Xillia 2

Undine x9MxD31.jpg

Welcome Undine! You've been added.

15 hours ago, Kurorac said:

Well then I guess I'll try it again. My characters are all lvl 200 already. Will put it on download through the night.

But first I'll play Atelier Escha & Logy, because I've waited a long time for that game. 

Alright, you're almost done! Looking forward to seeing you come back for your rank upgrade. Balloon trophy just takes a bit of practice, especially if you've been away from the game for a while, but it's very doable.

• Like 1

So I started Tales of Hearts R again yesterday because the TV was occupied.

I did the balloon trophy and both boss trophies on Manic and Unknown. They were pretty easy if I'm being honest.

The only trophy left is Cross Chase Ace because it seems I was to lazy to use it most of the time (still have to do it around 100 times ?)

Any tips on how to get it as fast as possible?

Can't wait for my first Tales of plat!