New YT has made my Ad Block Plus not block things I don't like

Alantor32

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe Youtube green lighted this current design. Probably the WORST design they ever came up with in the 12 years I've been browsing that website. 

Literally a crapload of white space, which is just filler to try to make the website look bigger than it should be. Also it's stupid it keeps recommending me videos I've already watched several times, it clearly doesn't know I already watched them.

Google is just too greedy for their own good to do anything convenient in making the website more accessible. They clearly don't care.

After nearly ten years of Adblock Plus I recently switched to uBlock Origin (in Firefox). This improved pretty much everything for me.

While some websites don't show content if ABP is installed, uBO seems to find a way around everything..

Haven't noticed anything on YT recently (except for their design change in general)

Just don't run both at the same time, this made browsing very slow for me somehow.

Give it a try, maybe it does the trick.. :) 

• Like 1

Also YT copyright laws are fucking lame, you can't copy a video that somebody already copied (DAFUQ) and then you get a stupid copyright hit, when it was already ripped

I add efx and chop the shit out of it to, so it's not the orginal copy to begin with

fuck I'm not making money on this over saturated site of videos, just editing for fun.

Welp got that rant over with lol

but yeah, the layout took a bit to get used too.

Please don't use Adblock on Youtube. Since the "ad-pocalypse" 3 months ago, creators have already seen themselves only get about ~20% of what they used to earn, t's hard enough for them to pay everything. Please at least deactivate it from time to time, so you can support your favourite creators, and not make them work for completely free.

8 minutes ago, furryTay said:

Please don't use Adblock on Youtube. Since the "ad-pocalypse" 3 months ago, creators have already seen themselves only get about ~20% of what they used to earn, t's hard enough for them to pay everything. Please at least deactivate it from time to time, so you can support your favourite creators, and not make them work for completely free.

It's one thing not using it for certain 'creators', but it's another thing asking people to not use it altogether. The ads can get incredibly obnoxious and annoying. I can be watching 2 minute clips on my phone on YT and have to sit through 30 second ads FOR EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

I'm more in favor of patreon-style support, only YouTubers with hundreds of thousands/millions of subscribers get any substantial revenue. The 'adpocalypse' was also about censorship. Many YouTubers were getting their revenue cut because advertisers were being more selective with who to advertise with, and would avoid YTers who talk about controversial stuff. It wasn't just a cut in revenue across the board.

13 minutes ago, furryTay said:

I'll gladly deactivate it when content creators stop putting 20 ads in their 15 minute videos, until then they stay blocked

• Like 2

On 15/9/2017 at 7:14 AM, dalailama1989 said:

After nearly ten years of Adblock Plus I recently switched to uBlock Origin (in Firefox). This improved pretty much everything for me.

20 hours ago, Hindsight said:

Use Ublock Origin. It's much better anyway.

Yes, you two are absolutely right.

Since some ads bypassed my adblock (not just in youtube, but a lot of web pages as well), I ended up switching to uBlock Origin.

Everything went better afterwards.

49 minutes ago, furryTay said:

Please at least deactivate it from time to time, so you can support your favourite creators, and not make them work for completely free.

And, yes, do this as well. At least for those you love, if not, do what you want. I'm not going to question anyone with that.

35 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

I'll gladly deactivate it when content creators stop putting 20 ads in their 15 minute videos

I don't know if it works that way, I mean, someone "chooses" the amount of ads for their videos. This is what I know so far:

- long videos: more ads

- short videos: less ads

that's common sense, right? now, how about this:

- long and meaningless videos: more ads, less work

- short and meaningful videos: less ads, regular amount of work, sometimes, more work (animations or things like that)

an example for short/long meaningful videos is The8BitGuy.

an example for long and meaningless videos are... almost every let's play/streaming uploaded to YT.

summarizing, deactivate your adblock only for those youtubers who work hard.

Edited by Katt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katt said:

I don't know if it works that way, I mean, someone "chooses" the amount of ads for their videos. This is what I know so far:

- long videos: more ads

- short videos: less ads

that's common sense, right? now, how about this:

- long and meaningless videos: more ads, less work

- short and meaningful videos: less ads, regular amount of work, sometimes, more work (animations or things like that)

Pretty sure you can pick how many ads and where to put them in your videos.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6175006?hl=en

4 minutes ago, SkyMason said:

Pretty sure you can pick how many ads and where to put them in your videos.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6175006?hl=en

we are fucked then, lol
I was speaking based on what I been seeing on my channel.

everyone activate your adblocks.

youtube is so over saturated why does matter

1 hour ago, furryTay said:

Youtube is so over saturated why does it matter if you ad block, everyone and there mothers wants to be youtube stars.