Uncharted The Lost Legacy - The Worst of the Bunch?

On 9/21/2017 at 6:31 AM, Elvick_ said:

I think it's good, not great. Felt very paint by numbers for Uncharted. This is what I would expect a non-Naughty Dog Uncharted to be like, on console anyway, but... this was actually from them. So it's definitely odd. If I consider that 1 was their first time doing this kind of game, then this would be the "worst" one. If I just take the as they are, then this is second worst to me. Though maybe below U3, it's been awhile since I played that one.

This one rehashed quite a few things from previous games. I'm sure it once being DLC had a lot to do with that. Story didn't have a huge impact to me. A certain somebody felt shoehorned in there for no real reason. Apparently they didn't learn from U3 that just shoving in characters to have them there is a bad idea.

Music is forgettable. Chapter 4 is probably one of the most long drawn out dregs in the entire series. I'd put it up there with the jetsky sections in U1.

I just finished the game last night and unfortunately, I have to agree with this.

It takes A LOT from other Uncharted games, but barely implements anything new, if at all. The chemistry between Nadine and Chloe felt very off and awkward in the beginning half. It wasn't until towards the end that I really start to see a little development, but it was too far too late.

Spoilers:

Spoiler

Chloe Frazier gets help and assistance from Sam Drake prior to the events of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, as evidenced in dialogue that occurs over halfway through the story. I assume that after Sam Drake said goodbye to Nathan Drake, Elena Fisher and Victor Sullivan at the very end of Uncharted 4, Sam decides to go on another treasure hunting journey since he missed out on the first three Uncharted games. I'm guessing he knew Chloe had a relationship with Nathan Drake in Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3, so they decide to help each other out in finding the Tusk, whom Chloe's father was obsessed with getting. Sam is somehow captured by Asav, and Chloe relies on help from Nadine to retrieve the Tusk. Chloe however did not tell Nadine about Sam until a good portion into the game. Nadine was the head of Shoreline in Uncharted 4, doing a lot to stop Nathan and Sam Drake from reaching the treasure of Captain Henry Avery so Rafe can have it instead. Only Nadine betrays Rafe, and he is in a duel with Nathan Drake. Rafe dies on the ship while Nadine and her companion sail away with a small amount of treasure. Nathan rescues Sam, they swim to safety, and the game ends.

So was Sam disappointed that he didn't get much out of the treasures of Captain Henry Avery and Thomas Tew from Uncharted 4 that he decided to offer help to Chloe in The Lost Legacy? Did Nathan Drake even know Sam was going to go on another adventure? Near the end of The Lost Legacy, Shoreline was against Nadine, so she decides to go after her former lieutenant to retrieve the Tusk. Shoreline was something she grew up with and stuck by, so how then did she know Chloe Frazier? Why didn't Nadine stick with Shoreline and get their help? Or did she know they were all mercenaries who didn't care for relations and reputation, who only fought for the coin?

There is barely any mention of the events of Uncharted 4, other than Sam telling Chloe that Nadine posed a threat to him and a couple other minor details. Apart from seeing Chloe for the first time since Uncharted 3, the only character I was really any impressed with is Asav. Even then, he is a cliche villain who goes mad near the very end, and dies in a very Hollywood like fashion. 

Last but not least, no Charlie Cutter. I guess he really was a shoehorned character.

Music almost felt nonexistent at times. Much of Uncharted 1 and 2 and even 3 felt delightful to play because they were occupied by well designed, put together scores in various moments Nathan was stuck in. In Lost Legacy there is little music, as a matter of fact I could barely the music from my speakers at all during moments when I was solving puzzles. You can clearly hear the music, but it is so soft and tucked away that you can hear Chloe and Nadine's voices a lot louder. Easily the most disappointing music score in the Uncharted series. Even Golden Abyss on the Vita had some good music, even though a good majority of it was heavily borrowed if not outright taken from the PS3 Uncharteds.

Chapter 4 is basically exploring with a few combat sections thrown in to let you know you're still playing the game. Pretty much a long trek through the jungle environment of India, using the same mechanics as Uncharted 4 while not being as exciting.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

I just finished the game last night and unfortunately, I have to agree with this.

It takes A LOT from other Uncharted games, but barely implements anything new, if at all. The chemistry between Nadine and Chloe felt very off and awkward in the beginning half. It wasn't until towards the end that I really start to see a little development, but it was too far too late.

Spoilers:

Hide contents

Chloe Frazier gets help and assistance from Sam Drake prior to the events of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, as evidenced in dialogue that occurs over halfway through the story. I assume that after Sam Drake said goodbye to Nathan Drake, Elena Fisher and Victor Sullivan at the very end of Uncharted 4, Sam decides to go on another treasure hunting journey since he missed out on the first three Uncharted games. I'm guessing he knew Chloe had a relationship with Nathan Drake in Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3, so they decide to help each other out in finding the Tusk, whom Chloe's father was obsessed with getting. Sam is somehow captured by Asav, and Chloe relies on help from Nadine to retrieve the Tusk. Chloe however did not tell Nadine about Sam until a good portion into the game. Nadine was the head of Shoreline in Uncharted 4, doing a lot to stop Nathan and Sam Drake from reaching the treasure of Captain Henry Avery so Rafe can have it instead. Only Nadine betrays Rafe, and he is in a duel with Nathan Drake. Rafe dies on the ship while Nadine and her companion sail away with a small amount of treasure. Nathan rescues Sam, they swim to safety, and the game ends.

So was Sam disappointed that he didn't get much out of the treasures of Captain Henry Avery and Thomas Tew from Uncharted 4 that he decided to offer help to Chloe in The Lost Legacy? Did Nathan Drake even know Sam was going to go on another adventure? Near the end of The Lost Legacy, Shoreline was against Nadine, so she decides to go after her former lieutenant to retrieve the Tusk. Shoreline was something she grew up with and stuck by, so how then did she know Chloe Frazier? Why didn't Nadine stick with Shoreline and get their help? Or did she know they were all mercenaries who didn't care for relations and reputation, who only fought for the coin?

There is barely any mention of the events of Uncharted 4, other than Sam telling Chloe that Nadine posed a threat to him and a couple other minor details. Apart from seeing Chloe for the first time since Uncharted 3, the only character I was really any impressed with is Asav. Even then, he is a cliche villain who goes mad near the very end, and dies in a very Hollywood like fashion. 

Last but not least, no Charlie Cutter. I guess he really was a shoehorned character.

Music almost felt nonexistent at times. Much of Uncharted 1 and 2 and even 3 felt delightful to play because they were occupied by well designed, put together scores in various moments Nathan was stuck in. In Lost Legacy there is little music, as a matter of fact I could barely the music from my speakers at all during moments when I was solving puzzles. You can clearly hear the music, but it is so soft and tucked away that you can hear Chloe and Nadine's voices a lot louder. Easily the most disappointing music score in the Uncharted series. Even Golden Abyss on the Vita had some good music, even though a good majority of it was heavily borrowed if not outright taken from the PS3 Uncharteds.

Chapter 4 is basically exploring with a few combat sections thrown in to let you know you're still playing the game. Pretty much a long trek through the jungle environment of India, using the same mechanics as Uncharted 4 while not being as exciting.

I think the story would have been better if we saw the meetup of Chloe and Nadine at some point. U2 went back and forth between the present and the past. I feel like Chapter 2 was designed for the reveal of the game, but they didn't really add anything else to make it work better in the full game. Anyone following the game, or looking at the cover, isn't going to be surprised it's Chloe (she's not even covered in the gameplay in the game like the announcement gameplay, and the chapter is off another one playing as Chloe ) and we know she's meeting Nadine from the same gameplay reveal. And she's also on the cover so...

It would have been nice to see Nadine and Chloe meet up and make their deal, like we see in U2 with Chloe, Nate and what's his face. (I'm bad with names~) I mean, why should we care about

the fact Chloe withheld information when we don't really have a big reason to care about this partnership? We don't know how they set it up. I suppose they were hoping that we would be just as surprised as Nadine, but we're PLAYING Chloe. So not knowing our played character's motives is kind of stupid. I didn't even really see why Nadine got so angry and punched Chloe and ran off in the first place. Nadine is the one that tried to kill Nate and Sam. Nate and Sam were just defending themselves from Shoreline. So then entire time I'm just like "get over it lady". Rather than "Oh no! Poor Nadine, she trusted Chloe/me!" :/ I don't know.

As for Shoreline, they do mention that.

They basically betrayed Nadine and took control of the "company" for lack of a better word. There's dialog about it in the game, I forget in what context it's done though. I don't remember if it's ingame dialog, cutscene, or even optional stuff. Pretty sure it's brought up in the helicopter part though.

9 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

I think the story would have been better if we saw the meetup of Chloe and Nadine at some point. U2 went back and forth between the present and the past. I feel like Chapter 2 was designed for the reveal of the game, but they didn't really add anything else to make it work better in the full game. Anyone following the game, or looking at the cover, isn't going to be surprised it's Chloe (she's not even covered in the gameplay in the game like the announcement gameplay, and the chapter is off another one playing as Chloe ) and we know she's meeting Nadine from the same gameplay reveal. And she's also on the cover so...

It would have been nice to see Nadine and Chloe meet up and make their deal, like we see in U2 with Chloe, Nate and what's his face. (I'm bad with names~) I mean, why should we care about

Hide contents

the fact Chloe withheld information when we don't really have a big reason to care about this partnership? We don't know how they set it up. I suppose they were hoping that we would be just as surprised as Nadine, but we're PLAYING Chloe. So not knowing our played character's motives is kind of stupid. I didn't even really see why Nadine got so angry and punched Chloe and ran off in the first place. Nadine is the one that tried to kill Nate and Sam. Nate and Sam were just defending themselves from Shoreline. So then entire time I'm just like "get over it lady". Rather than "Oh no! Poor Nadine, she trusted Chloe/me!" :/ I don't know.

As for Shoreline, they do mention that.

Reveal hidden contents

They basically betrayed Nadine and took control of the "company" for lack of a better word. There's dialog about it in the game, I forget in what context it's done though. I don't remember if it's ingame dialog, cutscene, or even optional stuff. Pretty sure it's brought up in the helicopter part though.

That opening cutscene in Uncharted 2 really set the tone for the rest of the game. It was a good 'past' cutscene offering a bit of backstory while you're navigating Nathan Drake through blown up, busted train cars to retrieve an important artifact.

So

Spoiler

Why was there no back story in The Lost Legacy?

Chapter 2 could of been a good reveal, but Naughty Dog really did not design it well.

Spoiler

I honestly felt Nadine was just thrown in, because obviously the two women met somewhere before the game even started. An opening cutscene done in a similar fashion to Uncharted 2's opening cutscene would of been necessary to get some back story out of Chloe and Sam Drake. Without that back story he gives players the impression he was just shoehorned in, because he wanted to go on another treasure hunt. We don't know how he got there or what he did before he embarked on his journey. Sam likely couldn't of known Chloe on his own, Nathan must of told him about her at some point, which I guess was shortly after the events of Uncharted 4.

I wanted to care for Chloe after Nadine punched her and took off, but without that back story to fill the gap I just didn't really feel too concerned. For a game starting Chloe, a LOT more back story could of been filled in. Hell, even give us some insight on what she was doing after she left Drake and Sully in Uncharted 3.

Unfortunately I think this is Naughty Dog's last outing with the Uncharted universe.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

That opening cutscene in Uncharted 2 really set the tone for the rest of the game. It was a good 'past' cutscene offering a bit of backstory while you're navigating Nathan Drake through blown up, busted train cars to retrieve an important artifact.

So

Reveal hidden contents

Why was there no back story in The Lost Legacy?

Chapter 2 could of been a good reveal, but Naughty Dog really did not design it well.

Hide contents

I honestly felt Nadine was just thrown in, because obviously the two women met somewhere before the game even started. An opening cutscene done in a similar fashion to Uncharted 2's opening cutscene would of been necessary to get some back story out of Chloe and Sam Drake. Without that back story he gives players the impression he was just shoehorned in, because he wanted to go on another treasure hunt. We don't know how he got there or what he did before he embarked on his journey. Sam likely couldn't of known Chloe on his own, Nathan must of told him about her at some point, which I guess was shortly after the events of Uncharted 4.

I wanted to care for Chloe after Nadine punched her and took off, but without that back story to fill the gap I just didn't really feel too concerned. For a game starting Chloe, a LOT more back story could of been filled in. Hell, even give us some insight on what she was doing after she left Drake and Sully in Uncharted 3.

Unfortunately I think this is Naughty Dog's last outing with the Uncharted universe.

On second playthrough, you actually do notice they kind of set up Sam earlier. Sam wasn't "captured" initially. He was the expert that kept being talked about working with them. That's why  Chloe says something like "don't worry about it" when Nadine is worried he may be further along than she is at figuring things out. Since Sam is leading them on a goose chase, the issue is that Chloe lost contact with him.

Nadine also mentions Sam earlier and Chloe has kind of a evasiveness to how she reacts which on second viewing actually shows there are hints about it. But yeah, I would have loved to get a moment where Chloe explains to Nadine the original plan with Sam, and then we get a flashback of it from there. But nope. Very little explanation of how we got to where we are. We just are there, because... it's a game and we need to be there.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If Uncharted is going to continue without Nate, Sully and Elena, Naughty Dog might as well pull the plug on Uncharted. Uncharted just doesn't feel the same without them. They're the original cast. The new cast sucks or are just forgettable. And don't get me started on Jason Dante in Golden Abyss. Dude was a scumbag who deserved to die. Same can be said about Harry Flynn in Uncharted 2.

Edited by KOTOR4240
Update

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I just started it. I kind of don't like it so far. The feel of it is just not the same. It kind of feels like a clunky Assassins Creed game. I really hope it gets better. I am really missing the humor that Drake brought to the previous games and the interactions between him and Sully. This one just feels so dull. I feel like I am just going through the motions of a side mission I hate and can't wait to get back to the original game with Drake. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I really didn't like it much, for me it's the worst game of the series.

However this is coming from someone who didn't enjoy Uncharted 4 that much either. For me the series needs to innovate gameplay wise because it's just not very interesting to play compared with alot of other games. The main reason I still thought Uncharted 4 was "Good" was because of the cast, with the main cast removed the forumula suffers even more.

Honestly unless there is a radical re design in the gameplay department I don't think I would even bother playing an eventual Uncharted 5 at this point I am kinda over the franchise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keithkierans said:

Just on the last chapter of TLL now after replaying U1-U4 and this is easily my favourite entry of the series after Uncharted 2. 

Exactly my thoughts on this matter.

I was honestly surprised how much I liked this entry in the series.

Don't get me wrong, I like Nathan and his antics but I enjoyed the smaller scope of TLL and I wouldn't mind another game of this sort.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just got the platinum for this game, and I have to agree: I think it's probably the worst in the series. That doesn't mean it's bad - the entire series is impressive, particularly the original trilogy - but Lost Legacy really just coasts on the success of previous instalments. It takes too many cues from Uncharted 4, without understanding that that game already earned player investment by virtue of being 1) the first Uncharted game on PS4, and 2) the last Uncharted game starring Nathan Drake.

Lost Legacy seems to assume Chloe and Nadine, and the overall premise of the story, are equally compelling. They're not. Like Uncharted 4, this is another third-person shooter that, for all the banter between protagonists, seems to take itself bizarrely seriously. There's no creative risks: supernatural elements, for instance, which the Uncharted series seems to have "outgrown." It's just another jungle-based Uncharted, with another bunch of mercenaries to shoot, another one-dimensional antagonist and another few set pieces that feel less like a Greatest Hits compilation and more like an obvious lack of fresh ideas. 

We do get some totally decent platforming, and mostly decent puzzles. Moment-to-moment gameplay is inherently satisfying because everything's so polished, and of course the game looks stunning from start to finish. But it just doesn't hold up. I think the worst thing for me is the chemistry between Chloe and Nadine. There's the coldness at the start, and the gradual development of trust, and then - oh no! - the fallout, and then they trust each other again. The Amy Hennig-era Uncharted games had a fundamental understanding of action-adventure tropes, which meant that even the most ludicrous or sentimental moments were self-aware. Lost Legacy, much like Uncharted 4, seems to think it has the depth to rewrite action-adventure conventions, and that its writing is enough to stand on its own. But it doesn't. The end result is something that wants you to have a good time, to have fun with these characters, without really earning it.

Sam: "God's balls, she made it!"

Nadine: "You alright?"

Chloe: "I was, until Sam made me picture God's balls." 

Jesus.

Edited by TheArcadeKid
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say it's the worst, but it's definitely down near the bottom. It's just a lazy copy/paste of Uncharted 4 that's targeted to females, but copy/paste spinoff games seems to be the industry standard now. Ubisoft has been doing it for years, now the other developers are noticing that we'll buy both games if we enjoyed the first. Half the work; twice the money. Hooray for greed. :spank:

TLL

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-01-17 at 1:34 AM, effdeegee said:

I wouldn't say it's the worst, but it's definitely down near the bottom. It's just a lazy copy/paste of Uncharted 4 that's targeted to females, but copy/paste spinoff games seems to be the industry standard now. Ubisoft has been doing it for years, now the other developers are noticing that we'll buy both games if we enjoyed the first. Half the work; twice the money. Hooray for greed. :spank:

“Targeted at females”......... That’s just like your opinion, man..... but it ain’t a good look.

The topic is kind of redundant. You either like the game or not, but it does not prove or disprove that Lost Legacy is a bad game. But if we are on this two-cent train, I might as well join in. It’s a much better game than some other titles in the series, imo. It was a perfect length, had an engaging story, good protagonists (it was awesome to see Chloe back), fun trophies, beautiful setting, etc. The final boss fight was underwhelming, I find, and if they were to bring Sam in, I wish he had a bigger role than a comedic relief. 2>4>TLL>1>3, and GA can burn in hell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ShinySpidey said:

Stating that TLL is better than U4 is beyond understanding.

All a matter of perspectives really - I mean, this is Uncharted, there really aren't any games in the series that are less than great, but I certainly put Lost Legacy above U4. I liked U4 plenty much, but LL is tight and dense in a way that U4 wasn't. I enjoy the lighter tone, and the tighter pacing makes it more of the bombastic action-thrill ride that I think these games nail in a way many other series can't.

For me, the series is:

1. Uncharted 2

2. The Lost Legacy

3. Uncharted

4. Uncharted 4

5. Uncharted Golden Abyss

6. Uncharted 3

But like I said - even the bottom of this list is above the top of most other series' lists!

I had a great time playing Uncharted The Lost Legacy. I know this was a planned DLC but I'm really happy that this ends up as a standalone game. When this was released, I hoped for a TLL 2 and I don't mind playing Chloe and Nadine again (with Sam). 

I platinum'ed most of the Uncharted games except for UC4 (the game has just too many collectibles).

As for all of uncharted games ranking, in my opinion, i'll rank them as:

1. Uncharted 2 (that opening scene was so epic back in the PS3 days)

2. Uncharted 3

3. Uncharted 4

4. Uncharted Lost Legacy

5. Uncharted 1

6. Uncharted Golden Abyss

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If I was to rank them best to worst I'd go with...
1. Uncharted 2
2. Lost Legacy
3, Uncharted 4
4. Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
5. Golden Abyss
6. A pile of trash
7. Uncharted 3

Other than the mild feminist overtones popping in from time to time (undoubtedly, Druckman's influence), I really enjoy Lost Legacy.
It has a pretty good story but it doesnt distract from the gameplay (the first third of U4 feels like it wants to be a movie more than a game). The pacing is tighter than most modern games, Chloe is my favorite character in the series so focusing on her was cool.
It's Uncharted 4's mechanics put into a better paced and balanced game.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Aw, Lost Legacy is my favorite after Uncharted 2. The pacing is on point, the story is cliché but engaging, and the visuals are phenomenal. Seriously, every new chapter I was blown away by the scenery and atmosphere—when Chloe and Nadine arrived at the Lost City I said "wow" out loud. 

I also really enjoyed the semi-open world chapter (Western Ghats). It felt like classic Tomb Raider to me, which i loved, and it's ironic because the Tomb Raider franchise as it is now can't replicate the same feeling of the originals. 

• Like 2

Absolutely better than Golden Abyss and UC3. I’d also bet if it was 2 other guys as the leads instead, it would’ve been better received. Because it’s a fact that women in lead roles of games absolutely triggers the hell out of the unhinged, adult sized children that claim to be “men”. 

• Like 2

Funny you said that, cause this is actually my favorite in the whole series. The other ones didn't really interest me and I think Chloe as the main protagonist is just more interesting than Nathan Drake. 

1 hour ago, I-Reaped-U said:

Absolutely better than Golden Abyss and UC3. I’d also bet if it was 2 other guys as the leads instead, it would’ve been better received. Because it’s a fact that women in lead roles of games absolutely triggers the hell out of the unhinged, adult sized children that claim to be “men”. 

Funny that I never ever seen this reaction towards Lost Legacy and I strongly doubt that the gamers didn't like this game because they were women, since there are title like Tomb Raider claiming otherwise. You can make the argument that people argued how Nadine was badly implemented in Uncharted 4, but that's more about her character and has nothing to do with the gender. 

Edited by MarcusPunisher
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Just completed my second playthrough on Crushing after a few years away from the game and I gotta say I enjoyed it (again). The length was perfect and I liked the mix between combat and exploration.

I don't like Nadine though. I find her to be such a bland character and have no idea what she has done to deserve being a protagonist. Would have much preferred a Chloe/Sam only game.

My Ranking:

UC3

UC4

UC2

UC: LL

UC: GA

UC1