How is the game?

Oobedoob S Benubi

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 9:06 AM, Pickle Rick said:

I thought the point there was how when a new game was announced, Sonic fans claim it's a new beginning and the series will be saved, which certainly is how they talked about Forces at first.

Well, maybe it depends where you go. Are you assuming things? I've been hanging around the sonic subreddit now and then since Mania came out, and I haven't noticed such a thing. Everyone seemed sceptical of forces there.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:06 AM, Pickle Rick said:

Of course, as said, I alwys look at his points while thinking about if I would actually consider it a flaw. His review from last week was about Assassin's Creed Origins and he didn't say anything good about it (if I recall correctly) but I still love the game; the points he mentions were either not important to me or I didn't consider them to be flaws.

I don't know what he said about AC:O but that game does suffer a lot from mediocrity and flaws. It's not a good AC game. There's a lot of things all of the previous AC games did better, and for the rest it's only a mediocre adventure game. I will say I'm seeing a high amount of positivity on this game online, which really worries me. I'm afraid we'll never see a good AC game again at this rate because people just think this one is good. I won't go into detail this time what's so bad about the game because at the same time.. if you enjoy it you should just enjoy it. Who am I to take that away? But know this: the publishers actually go out of their way to contact reviewers who leave low scores for this game. And still the game only got an 81 (60 critics) on metacritic (PS4 version).

Anyway in closing; I really don't think Mania has any real flaws, at least not the once we've mentioned, or ZP. The timer killing you will maybe happen to you once in a level.. then you'll realize you're Sonic and you're supposed to go fast, it's not a puzzle-adventure game. On top of that you've just learned the layout of the level better as well.. so you're only gonna do better. There used to be a time when a game could kill you x100 times before you could get anywhere in it. Now we die once and the game is flawed.
The only real flaw I've seen was on the PS4 version of Mania was that the leaderboards crashed the game everytime you accessed them. This was finally fixed 1.5 months after launch. Other than that.. I've played through the game a dozen times and played a lot of time attack too, I cannot recall any other flaws. That leaderboards bit was really annoying though.

On 28/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, Fragtaster said:

It's better than Sonic CD, which is the best Sonic game imo. If your ever going to like a Sonic, it'll be this one. Lots of replayability and different endings too. And those amazing level... Mm-Mm, masterpiece. 

But end the end it still plays like Sonic 3, so don't bother with Mania if you hated that.

This is all you're wanting to know in a one vid. Please check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HfchqD4WY

Hope this helps. :)

*EDIT: JUST REALIZED THIS IS A OLD THREAD. SHOULD BE DEAD. PLEASE IGNORE THIS POST.

Don't worry about it, I've got the game by now but the thrrad still works as a general "how is Sonic Mania" thread for potential other buyers.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are the same thing, right? That's the only classic Sonic I played through, I enjoyed it.

35 minutes ago, ConcealedFirearm said:

Well, maybe it depends where you go. Are you assuming things? I've been hanging around the sonic subreddit now and then since Mania came out, and I haven't noticed such a thing. Everyone seemed sceptical of forces there.

I'm not as part of the online fanbase as you are but I did notice people on PSNP still looking forward to the game when flaw after flaw was revealed, and the one Sonic fan I know still told me the game was great.

I don't know what he said about AC:O but that game does suffer a lot from mediocrity and flaws. It's not a good AC game. There's a lot of things all of the previous AC games did better, and for the rest it's only a mediocre adventure game. I will say I'm seeing a high amount of positivity on this game online, which really worries me. I'm afraid we'll never see a good AC game again at this rate because people just think this one is good. I won't go into detail this time what's so bad about the game because at the same time.. if you enjoy it you should just enjoy it. Who am I to take that away? But know this: the publishers actually go out of their way to contact reviewers who leave low scores for this game. And still the game only got an 81 (60 critics) on metacritic (PS4 version).

Personally I thought Origins is one of the better AC games, up there with II/Brotherhood and Black Flag for me. Maybe I want different things out of the franchise than you do. I think it corrected a lot of mistakes from other AC games.

Anyway in closing; I really don't think Mania has any real flaws, at least not the once we've mentioned, or ZP. The timer killing you will maybe happen to you once in a level.. then you'll realize you're Sonic and you're supposed to go fast, it's not a puzzle-adventure game. On top of that you've just learned the layout of the level better as well.. so you're only gonna do better. There used to be a time when a game could kill you x100 times before you could get anywhere in it. Now we die once and the game is flawed.
The only real flaw I've seen was on the PS4 version of Mania was that the leaderboards crashed the game everytime you accessed them. This was finally fixed 1.5 months after launch. Other than that.. I've played through the game a dozen times and played a lot of time attack too, I cannot recall any other flaws. That leaderboards bit was really annoying though.

I think Sonic Mania has flaws only in the sense that Yooka-Laylee has flaws. Both are love letters to a classic gaming series, warts and all. Yahtzee and myself and others might be a bit irritated by the time limit but to fans of the classics, it's much more important that it's still there, just like with the wubwub-speech in Yooka-Laylee.

Now, I liked Sonic Mania and I'm sure any fan of the old games will love it. As I said in a Yooka-Laylee thread: look for innovation elsewhere, it's brilliant that there's also room for games like this.

Speaking of Yooka-Laylee and looping to our earlier discussions about Zero Punctuation and Dunkey, I bought Yooka-Laylee recently and decided to watch some stuff online, mainly ZP but YouTube then recommended Dunkey's vid on it and I thought I'd give him another try. He was very negative of Yooka-Laylee but he was also very negative of Banjo-Tooie while praising Banjo-Kazooie - I, alongside many fans, think Tooie fixed a lot of wrongs from Kazooie. I guess I can say with certainty now that I definitely don't like Dunkey's style, but I also don't think our opinions really match.

• 1 month later...