My psn account has been stolen

wolverine123

So I received an email from Sony last night telling me I changed my account email address, didn't notice it till I'm at work this morning. Tried signing in on ps app and no luck.

So some low life scumbag has stolen my account, a couple of weeks ago when I signed into psn I had to change my password, I think psn was hacked again or something, anyway I only slightly changed my password by like 1 letter so I'm assuming that's when my details were taken. 

So I've spent my lunch break on the phone to sony support jumping thru hoops to prove it's my account and at the end of the conversation the woman informs me I just need to send a picture of my photo id, I don't have any photo id. I have plenty of alternatives, bank cards bills credit cards my marriage certificate but I can't use any of these apparantly. I'm now stuck waiting for a callback from a supervisor or manager to see what they can do, but they probably won't be able to call me today.

If I sent off for a provisional driving license today it would be 2 weeks at best till I received it. Just have to hope the next person I speak to can do something for me.

Sorry for the rant but I had to get it off my chest to people that understand, my workmates aren't gamers and they don't get it.

• Like 4

Just now, Dark_Overlord said:

When you got the email did it not have a 'if this wasn't requested by you, please click this link to revert the changes'?  I had that when I changed mine over before.

No it had if this wasn't requested by you contact support@sony blah blah blah. So I got the phone number off Google, I've also emailed them but waiting to hear back on that

1 minute ago, Gotakibono said:

Jesus, bud, that's an absolutely nightmare. May I ask you if you had 2-step verification activated?

No I didn't. I just never thought it's happen to me

Just now, Gotakibono said:

I know this is definitely the wrong time to say this, but if you get your account make sure this is the first thing you do. I really hope this works out for you, bud - pisses me off that some random bastard would even think of taking someone's account.

Thanks mate. Don't worry it will be. Im changing all my passwords on everything  to random letters and numbers when i get home tonight aswell.

I dont even get why anyone would steal it, is it for the trophies or the games I bought on it or what? 

Just now, Dark_Overlord said:

Where did you receive the 'you must change your password' from?  An email, or when you logged in on the PS itself?

It was on the ps4 when I was logging in. I saw a few other ppl had to do it too when I googled it before I changed password.

1 minute ago, wolverine123 said:

Thanks mate. Don't worry it will be. Im changing all my passwords on everything  to random letters and numbers when i get home tonight aswell.

I dont even get why anyone would steal it, is it for the trophies or the games I bought on it or what? 

Yeah that's the best thing to do. Random numbers mixed with letters. Hope you get your account back as I can imagine the feeling of not having it. 

1 hour ago, wolverine123 said:

It was on the ps4 when I was logging in. I saw a few other ppl had to do it too when I googled it before I changed password.

Maybe both, I'm sure like a lot of people you've bought many games on the store and your trophies probably make it even more appealing. I don't know, but again I wish you the best of luck with everything. 

4 minutes ago, wolverine123 said:

Ah ok, it's just I noticed you were from the UK too, and I don't know anyone here who was requested to change it.

Though a database was stolen from Sony quite recently, can't remember if it was tied to their Facebook or Twitter.

7 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Ah ok, it's just I noticed you were from the UK too, and I don't know anyone here who was requested to change it.

Though a database was stolen from Sony quite recently, can't remember if it was tied to their Facebook or Twitter.

I had to do it with all my accounts I think definitely my eu, USA and Japan acct. I had to abandon my jap acct because I didn't know the questions it was asking me, with them being asked in Japanese. But all thru ps4 not via email.

Edited by wolverine123

6 minutes ago, wolverine123 said:

Length is your best defense against password hackers, just fyi.

For below, my guess would be an attempt to get your credit card/personal info, if it is saved. Not really sure what they would want otherwise as well. haha

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

How do you have a job, bank card, credit card, marriage certificate and all that and yet no photo ID? Even if you don't drive, every country on this planet issues some form of photo id. Even North Korea issues photo IDs for goodness sake. 

Look, your situation sucks, but I gotta say, whatever is in your head to think it's ok to walk around without GI ID, it doesn't surprise me that you got fooled into giving up your password. 

Taking this further, that's exactly what Sony will think as well, so even if you produced all of the stuff you claim (bad idea, BTW), it probably wouldn't matter.

If you really have all of the stuff you list, you have no reason whatsoever to have some picture ID.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

How do you have a job, bank card, credit card, marriage certificate and all that and yet no photo ID? Even if you don't drive, every country on this planet issues some form of photo id. Even North Korea issues photo IDs for goodness sake. 

Look, your situation sucks, but I gotta say, whatever is in your head to think it's ok to walk around without GI ID, it doesn't surprise me that you got fooled into giving up your password. 

The UK isn't a totalitarian regime just yet - here, if you don't have a passport (not a requirement unless you are travelling) or a drivers licence (also not required if you don't drive) then you are unlikely to have a photo id.

• Like 4

The same thing happened to my friend, she managed to get it back but it took pretty long. The 2 step verification was the first thing i did, as i read blogs and stuff where people who regretted not setting it up. Another thing to note, I tend to never change passwords (or make purchases) when connected to unsecure/ public wifi as you are more likely to be hacked then. For passwords making a memoriable sentence with numbers and symbols like using ! instead of i, @ instead of "a" , $ instead of s etc. can help make it stronger. 

2 hours ago, wolverine123 said:

I don't have any photo id.

Seems a bit weird that someone over the age of 18 doesn't have any photo ID. 

2 hours ago, Hanzoadam said:

I'd be a bit weary of sending any personal info out especially bank cards etc

Sending them photo ID is completely safe. I've had to do it in the past.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The UK isn't a totalitarian regime just yet - here, if you don't have a passport (not a requirement unless you are travelling) or a drivers licence (also not required if you don't drive) then you are unlikely to have a photo id.

It's not required here in the states either, it's just not smart to run around without one.

I have 3 british friends that I talk to regularly. 2 of them are in their early 20s. The 2 youngest ones don't drive yet both of them have photo IDs. One of them has 2 forms. If these youngsters, granted, they're pretty intelligent and level headed youngsters, can get it together enough to have photo IDs, the OP really has no excuse.

3 hours ago, wolverine123 said:

No I didn't. I just never thought it's happen to me

That was your first mistake. NEVER assume something will never happen to you. Always use precaution, especially when using online services.

Edited by Freelancer Tex

1 hour ago, Phil said:

It's not required here in the states either, it's just not smart to run around without one.

I have 3 british friends that I talk to regularly. 2 of them are in their early 20s. The 2 youngest ones don't drive yet both of them have photo IDs. One of them has 2 forms. If these youngsters, granted, they're pretty intelligent and level headed youngsters, can get it together enough to have photo IDs, the OP really has no excuse.

I think my point is that, if you can have a bank account, a job, a credit card, bank loans, company ownership, motgages etc. without requiring a photo id, then it seems a little excessive that Sony require one to prove identity.

Virtually all of uk life does not require one - except driving and travelling to other countries.

My guess is that the youngsters you are referring to have the only other legally acceptable photoID in the uk - the Prove It card.

These are primarly used to prove you are over 16 to buy cigarettes/ birth control etc or over 18 for alcohol.

They are not commonly held, as they cost money to apply for (at least, they did when I worked in a shop selling booze/ cigs and would see them occasionally), and they are not useful for much else. 

If you are not youthful looking enough to be mistaken for underage, there is no need for one.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1