Mass Effect Andromeda and the Future of the series.

Gotakibono

So we all know about the planned DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda being put to rest, but what do you think should be implemented into any sequel that might bring the series back to its glory days? 

I made a video with my opinion on it:

For me it's really disappointing to see one of my favourite series of all time take a blow like this; between Andromeda and ME3's divisive ending the next game has a hell of a mountain to climb if the series has any chance of reclaiming its place on top of the gaming pile. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I reckon EA will be putting this IP in the vault, can't imagine them funding another one. Maybe it'll get rebooted after a decade or so. 

Damn shame, ME2 was one of the greats of last gen.

Pretty much what this article says https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/05/sources-bioware-montreal-downsized-mass-effect-put-on-ice-for-now/

• Like 1

The original trilogy was building up towards the whole dark energy eventually destroying everything, but that plot was changed when the script leaked. I'd like to see a game that follows that plot. Oh, and bring back the Quarians too.

1 hour ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Damn shame, ME2 was one of the greats of last gen.

I agree :highfive: .

• Like 2

I think Mass Effect was a series that could only work at that specific time it was released.

Those games have so many design flaws that are now more than obvious, and without nostalgia it's  really not the series you want to go back to.

It wasn't that big of a surprise to me. ME 1 & 2 are almost unplayable for new players. I mean seriously, try replaying Mass Effect 1. And Andromeda just carries too much of that spirit in my opionion, it tries so hard to be a last gen game with better textures.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Joker said:

I think Mass Effect was a series that could only work at that specific time it was released.

Those games have so many design flaws that are now more than obvious, and without nostalgia it's  really not the series you want to go back to.

It wasn't that big of a surprise to me. ME 1 & 2 are almost unplayable for new players. I mean seriously, try replaying Mass Effect 1. And Andromeda just carries too much of that spirit in my opionion, it tries so hard to be a last gen game with better textures.

ME1 is problematic, but I picked up ME2 recently (hoping to spur my interest in trying out ME3 again), and still enjoyed it quite a bit (though, not enough to play ME3). 

That being said, ME:Andromeda felt like an add-on that no one really wanted. It was like EA thought you could just create demand with supply (or, as Tom Waits puts it, make feet for children's shoes). Maybe if it had been stellar, it would have garnered more word of mouth, but initial sales were pretty low, suggesting that a lot of people just didn't care from the getgo.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

I might be controversial, but I actually really liked the concept of Andromeda. Regardless of the shortcomings it has the premise did a good job of creating a fresh start with enough ties to the universe to make it a Mass Effect game.

The downfall of ME:Andromeda wasn't creativity in my opinion - apart from a couple of duds, I really enjoyed the characters and the overall story in Andromeda. It's downfall was due to poor development structure, poorly handled project deadlines, chaotic project vision which lead to infighting and a number of other issues. None of which are good for any game with that kind of team dynamic behind it.

There is quite a bit they can do with follow-up games, we are after all in an uncharted part of the universe which Andromeda established for better or worse, so there are quite a few storytelling options to explore. As long as they get suitable writers and learn from their mistakes, i'd be game for playing another ME entry.

I just hope that EA don't kill it completely, like they did with Dead Space. Which is a case study in how to meddle with a developer, kill it dead and then sit on the IP indefinitely.

Andromeda was way more interesting than the original mass effect storywise and gameplay wise. It just couldn't seem to excel at anything either(dragon age inquisition had the same problem too) it has that boring open world fatigue with pointless fetch quests. I still think it has promise if they can condense the next one down and focus on the narrative and tight gameplay over having some big open world