Should I Buy A New PS3 Or Just Clean My PS3?

SlaveBeastTaka

Hey Everyone, so iv'e had my ps3 for 8 years. And, I've never clean the inside of it. Or replace the thermal paste. Im assuming that's what's wrong with my PS3. But my question is, the motherboard. How would you know if your PS3's motherboard is still in good condition and not fried? I've seen some videos on youtube on how to do this. (Cleaning your PS3 & Replacing the thermal paste) And, it seems easy. But, if my motherboard is fried. I don't see the point. Thanks. ^ ^ 

Has it stopped working? On the original model you could hold down a button and the fans would go into overdrive to push dust out (have a Google). If it's working, just use it and don't worry. If it's not working then buy a new or 2nd hand one as PS3s are fairly cheap now. The cost/time repairing your current one wouldn't be worth it.

Edited by Mayadome
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SlaveBeastTaka said:

Hey Everyone, so iv'e had my ps3 for 8 years. And, I've never clean the inside of it. Or replace the thermal paste. Im assuming that's what's wrong with my PS3. But my question is, the motherboard. How would you know if your PS3's motherboard is still in good condition and not fried? I've seen some videos on youtube on how to do this. (Cleaning your PS3 & Replacing the thermal paste) And, it seems easy. But, if my motherboard is fried. I don't see the point. Thanks. ^ ^ 

See Andrew Pauls PS3 and PS4 How To Repair Tutorials 

Oh and he also fixes them Highly reccomneded.

Edited by snacklepuss
  • Like 1

You say 8 years... was it one of the first slims, or is it an old fatty with the PS2 playback?

Because PS2 playback makes it a solid "Yes, you do whatever the fuck you can to keep it alive" but without it, I could care less and new ones are dirt cheap so go nuts either way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

You say 8 years... was it one of the first slims, or is it an old fatty with the PS2 playback?

Because PS2 playback makes it a solid "Yes, you do whatever the fuck you can to keep it alive" but without it, I could care less and new ones are dirt cheap so go nuts either way.

I agree with this, unless it's the yellow light of death. 

Unfortunately it's probably not the thermal paste or any of the sort that's easily accessible, or just a simple clean. 

They had to use different solder in the ps3 and xbox due to new rules concerning solder and "toys" (ya like a kid is going to pop open a ps3 and start eating the motherboard

... idiot politicians), that causes the chips to overheat(and then cool) become brittle and finally break/move.

Or could also be a mosfet transistor, which good luck finding it without a good deal of knowledge of the motherboard(not to mention electrical engineering). 

That's most likely the issue if it's the yellow light of death(my ps3 fat succumbed to the same). 

Buy a new one on ebay. 

Also

If you buy used

Take note of this. 

COCKROACHES LOVE THE INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY. 

Shops that fix ps3s say they have bagfulls of dead cockroaches.

So in short. If you buy used. You do run the risk of bringing cockroaches into your home. 

You can Google the articles, ughhhh

5 hours ago, Mayadome said:

Has it stopped working? On the original model you could hold down a button and the fans would go into overdrive to push dust out (have a Google). If it's working, just use it and don't worry.

not necessarily i've used this method on my ps3 for years but decided to open it up this year for the first time since owning it since '07 and the vents inside were still full of dust, this is only really a good option to remove any loose dirt.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Wait...what? That's going to be your whole post? No goddamned details at all?

vague post= vague answer 

clean it or buy a new one. ?

3 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

COCKROACHES LOVE THE INTERNAL POWER SUPPLY.

God I never wanna open mine up, I forgot that. Though I've not once seen a cockroach in the room that PS3 is housed, so I'm either in the clear, or have a bunch of dead roaches in there. Either way, if I don't see them, I'm happy.

But I mostly commented to say that I got rat shit on the engine in my car the last couple weeks. They like sleeping on the engine to keep warm supposedly. Same gross principle. Just wanted to ruin someone else's day too.

First of all start with the built in Cleaning procedure (For PS3 Fat and Slim (not sure how to trigger it for super slim).
PS3 Fat model: Turn your console OFF with the power switch in the back (not the one you usually use in the front). then press and HOLD the front power and eject keys. Turn the back power switch on while holding the front buttons. It will engage in a cleaning cycle where the fan will reach above normal RPM for a little time and then turn off.
With the slim model it;s simmilar but it does not have the back power switch, so instead you just unplug/ plug the power cord.
PS3 Superslim does not have an eject button, so I don't know how this is performed on it.

Edited by PiotrekHenry

9 hours ago, Phil said:

"Ummmm, should I clean my ps3 or just buy a new one? There's something wrong with it...i don't fucking know."

Wait...what? That's going to be your whole post? No goddamned details at all?

Haha, this made me laugh. Sorry OP, no answer from me. Just having a giggle. :giggle:

• Like 1

I like how @SlaveBeastTaka hasn't responded since opening the thread. Even more so that they haven't elaborated on the issue xD

1 hour ago, grifteskymfning said:

Buy a new one. Or buy two.

They are crazy cheap right now. Where I live you can get mint consoles in sealed boxes for $50 or less.

Brand new for $50??! 

Where do you live and which stores, I'll be there tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

God I never wanna open mine up, I forgot that. Though I've not once seen a cockroach in the room that PS3 is housed, so I'm either in the clear, or have a bunch of dead roaches in there. Either way, if I don't see them, I'm happy.

But I mostly commented to say that I got rat shit on the engine in my car the last couple weeks. They like sleeping on the engine to keep warm supposedly. Same gross principle. Just wanted to ruin someone else's day too.

Well what happens too is they make "connections" and fry the power supply eventually as they build up. 

But it's a good test to see if you have cockroaches in the house or not lol

Mice don't bother me, I actually find it sad if they get in with the air filter, and then get killed :(

1 hour ago, Dav9834 said:

Brand new for $50??! 

Where do you live and which stores, I'll be there tomorrow.

I got two at Gamestop for $62 each, in Sweden, a few months ago.

One for multiplaying myself and one to keep mint, as a backup.

I think they are at about $74 now. The 500GB slim kind. But those

are retails stores, can probably find them cheaper on the web.

• Like 1

ps3 retro ps2 are not working anymore since sony put an update and lock all ps2 compatibility. except if you never update it... if you  never update it you can't play all ps3 game lol.. you better buy a ps2 and a ps3

13 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

15 minutes ago, Elk_mistral said:

ps3 retro ps2 are not working anymore since sony put an update and lock all ps2 compatibility. except if you never update it... if you  never update it you can't play all ps3 game lol.. you better buy a ps2 and a ps3

No update can block the ps2 playback on the 20 and 60 gig ps3 as the actual ps2 hardware is built in. The emulation on the 40 and 80 gig however is a different story

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elk_mistral said:

Not sure where you're getting that.

Mine's 100% up to date, went on the PSN store just the other day (something you can't do without the latest update) to download a game and all. The thing plays my PS2 discs fine.

• Like 1

Sorry, i've been little busy lol. My PS3 is a PS3 Slim. And, it still works. I just really want to clean the inside of it, and replace the thermal paste. The other day, I was playing Dragon's Dogma. I died at the beginning and when i tried to load up the game. my screen went black. But, my ps3 does shut off and turn back on. So im thinking its the hardware. Not all the time. But, when I try to update a game or something like that. It seems to do that. It's hard to describe it, because I dont really see it happen alot i guess. Last thing, I have a PS3 fan cooler. So, I try to keep my ps3 from being hot. And, thanks everyone for replying to this thread. I really appreciate it. ^ ^ 

27 minutes ago, SlaveBeastTaka said:

Sorry, i've been little busy lol. My PS3 is a PS3 Slim. And, it still works. I just really want to clean the inside of it, and replace the thermal paste. The other day, I was playing Dragon's Dogma. I died at the beginning and when i tried to load up the game. my screen went black. But, my ps3 does shut off and turn back on. So im thinking its the hardware. Not all the time. But, when I try to update a game or something like that. It seems to do that. It's hard to describe it, because I dont really see it happen alot i guess. Last thing, I have a PS3 fan cooler. So, I try to keep my ps3 from being hot. And, thanks everyone for replying to this thread. I really appreciate it. ^ ^ 

It's ok we know how life gets 

My recommendation? Get your saves on a usb or ps+cloud immediately. 

Those are signs that the yellow light of death is possibly on its way. And there's nothing you can sensibly(financially) do. I sent mine to a guy to redo the solder on the cpu, but he couldn't get it working anyway. There's a lot of things that can go wrong. The fact it lasted 8 years is a sign you took good care of it. Mine was 5 I think. 

It's cheaper/more convenient to just buy a new one when this one finally goes. 

Also the extra fans won't do much, ps3 really needed active cooling(like water cooling) with the non lead solder, and the way it was designed. 

But even then.... 

But seriously get those saves on something safe. Once it goes yellow light, it's very difficult and no guarantees you'll ever get them back

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Dav9834 said:

I said it way back when! 

And now you can see the true horror! 

Beware of buying used! 

https://kotaku.com/man-livestreams-his-roach-infested-playstation-4-1820286300/amp

Thankfully I've never had cockroaches, and I never want them. 

What the... That's fucking gross.