Knack 2 baybeeee

Super-Fly Spider-Guy

List is up and it looks pretty decent. I reckon the trials could be a bit of a grind but who knows, other than 100 combo it looks pretty easy, which is fine by me after the bloody diamond runs I had to do on the first, which reminds me, it appears at least, that THERE'S NO DIAMOND RUNS ANYMORE! Yay, I guess? I don't know. I like the idea of replaying the game, but burning through story mode countless times in the HOPE of finding a particular collectible is kinda overkill.

Anyway, looks good. I love it. I love Knack. I'm keen as a bean for release day.

Also, Gundahar is back?!? Genuine surprise. Cool stuff. Probably just an intro boss to familiarize returning players or something, who knows?

I never played the first one myself... well okay, I've played it before on a friend's PS4 (or it might had been a bit in a store demo, can't recall), so the whole diamond thing I've luckily, not needed to do.  But seeing that there's nothing like that here, maybe they realized how stupid that was and decided not to go with it.

I really disliked the first Knack a lot. It seriously has the worst design for difficulty, collectables, and upgrades that I've ever seen. The one thing I was hoping for the sequel was that they realized how tedious and poorly implemented it was and then fixed it here. After looking at the trophies, I'm not so sure that they did. Stuff like "Equip a Combo Meter" and "Acquire a Gadget Part" means that you probably still need to find pieces of an item and build it just to use the most basic gameplay mechanic a brawler should have. 

Having to play the game over and over while stuck on the same difficulty with no option to change to other types of Knack while you farm worthless duplicate chests was so awful. If this game does the same thing, I'm out for sure. It's not replay value, it's just bad game design.

2 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

List is up and it looks pretty decent. I reckon the trials could be a bit of a grind but who knows, other than 100 combo it looks pretty easy, which is fine by me after the bloody diamond runs I had to do on the first, which reminds me, it appears at least, that THERE'S NO DIAMOND RUNS ANYMORE! Yay, I guess? I don't know. I like the idea of replaying the game, but burning through story mode countless times in the HOPE of finding a particular collectible is kinda overkill.

Anyway, looks good. I love it. I love Knack. I'm keen as a bean for release day.

Also, Gundahar is back?!? Genuine surprise. Cool stuff. Probably just an intro boss to familiarize returning players or something, who knows?

I know this game gets a ton of hate, but if the sequel has long-range combat, it'll make things 20% better. 

8 minutes ago, johntatsi said:

I think I'm the only person genuinely excited for this game. I'm also probably the only person who really liked the first one..... 

Wrong. I actually did like the first one. Decent story, fun gameplay. Just the rng and close-range combat ruin it. I'm really excited for this game though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ImplyingYouCare said:

I really disliked the first Knack a lot. It seriously has the worst design for difficulty, collectables, and upgrades that I've ever seen. The one thing I was hoping for the sequel was that they realized how tedious and poorly implemented it was and then fixed it here. After looking at the trophies, I'm not so sure that they did. Stuff like "Equip a Combo Meter" and "Acquire a Gadget Part" means that you probably still need to find pieces of an item and build it just to use the most basic gameplay mechanic a brawler should have. 

Having to play the game over and over while stuck on the same difficulty with no option to change to other types of Knack while you farm worthless duplicate chests was so awful. If this game does the same thing, I'm out for sure. It's not replay value, it's just bad game design.

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get the first Knack.

I understand there are games that force you to become good (Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami 2, etc) in order to earn their platinums. You're going to die and probably suffer a lot. But that's the big appeal for those titles, and they're much more satisfying when you beat them after many hours of trial and error.

Here in Knack, as far as I understand, you can get lucky and get Diamond Knack in a few playthroughs, or you may have to play through the game 7 - 8 times to finally get the pieces. Luck based stuff like that is complete bullshit.

Knack fools you into thinking that this is going to be a fun, casual platformer like game as Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. The game was clearly inspired by the Pixar Disney animated films and the Dreamworks Shrek movies. But most kids out there probably can't get too far into Knack because it's too difficult, and the checkpoints are completely bogus in much the same vein as Jak II's checkpoints were.

Then again this was a launch title, and a lot of launch titles are usually forgotten over time. Mario is the only mascot I know whose launch titles have stood the test of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johntatsi said:

I think I'm the only person genuinely excited for this game. I'm also probably the only person who really liked the first one..... 

Nope.

40 minutes ago, Kman-Outlaw said:

No Diamond Knack?! 1f62d.png

I really hope it's in the game

Imagine if they let you import saves from the first and start up with Diamond Knack. That would be nice.

35 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

Looks like the 1st one will be free on plus soon enough. 

Honestly hope not. Not because it doesn't deserve to be, I think it does, but because a lot of people feel Knack 1 isn't that great, and a lot of the gripes are legitimate, so the last thing you'd wanna do is throw the underwhelming first one out to a crowd you should be promoting the better follow up to. Like, if Knack 2 is so much better than the first as they say, then giving away the first one to lure in people might not be the best move, could even push some potential buyers away.

5 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I'm not sure if I'm ever going to get the first Knack.

I understand there are games that force you to become good (Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami 2, etc) in order to earn their platinums. You're going to die and probably suffer a lot. But that's the big appeal for those titles, and they're much more satisfying when you beat them after many hours of trial and error.

Here in Knack, as far as I understand, you can get lucky and get Diamond Knack in a few playthroughs, or you may have to play through the game 7 - 8 times to finally get the pieces. Luck based stuff like that is complete bullshit.

Knack fools you into thinking that this is going to be a fun, casual platformer like game as Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank. The game was clearly inspired by the Pixar Disney animated films and the Dreamworks Shrek movies. But most kids out there probably can't get too far into Knack because it's too difficult, and the checkpoints are completely bogus in much the same vein as Jak II's checkpoints were.

Then again this was a launch title, and a lot of launch titles are usually forgotten over time. Mario is the only mascot I know whose launch titles have stood the test of time.

Knack 1 is legit such an easy game. Grinding for the diamond upgrade can be an asshole and require multiple playthroughs, but other than that, every inch of it is easy enough to be completed by a child. Honestly anyone who genuinely thinks Knack is hard needs to play more games. The grind for diamonds was ridiculous, but it was luck based, no skill involved, the actual game itself is a box of piss. A fun box of piss, an underrated box of piss, but still a box of piss. Thing is a cakewalk.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Azaan60 said:

Also fuck Dunkey. 

Yup.

I had no idea who that guy was until a few months ago when I was like "where did all these randos who also have a boner for Knack come from?" and then I looked into it and was saddened to realize my boy Knack had become a meme.

11 hours ago, johntatsi said:

You're not, I loved the first one.It wasn't perfect, but for what it was aiming to be (a simple family game that also offered difficulty for gamers) it succeeded. And I enjoyed the story. Hyped for this one, my copy already shipped. When people say "who asked for this", I did; I even tweeted about wanting a sequel around the time I beat/platted the game.

And personally I liked the friend's list chest drop thing, but the problem was that you'd get things you didn't need. Which made no sense at all, after you finish getting everything it shouldn't give you it anymore. And iirc your gadgets reset in a new game or something too, ditch that as well and just let each new game get you closer to 100%. It was a cool mechanic, just flawed in how they went about it.

• Like 1

I hated the 50 combo trophy in the first one now they jumped it to 100. The trials and colosum were easy in the first one if you used two players.  I'm guessing the same tactic will work in this one since they are focusing on it being coop. Overall it doesn't look to painful. 

But I am dreading the crystals If it's like the original.  I needed one emerald to get my last upgraded knack for 5 play throughs. I originally thought it was a glitch bc I would get 3-6 diamonds per play through but 0 emeralds for 5 play throughs. It made me rage so bad I quit for a few days until it got the better of me.