Help for Newcomers.

OctoLatte

This is my first entry to the series and its awesome how easy it is to get into it. But i want to get better and learn the harder mechanics of the game. The first one i need to learn is SPIN, When to use it, when not to and how it effects everything ( impact, distance, ect...). 

Another thing i would like to know is which clubs i should level and how. Is it worth using the 1W to try and level "control"? and also how these stats effect my shot. Power is a given, but what about control and backdoor? 

For trophy related questions:

How do you perform a Super Backspin?

How do you do a Rising shot?

How do you do a Homing shot?

How do you do a Spiral shot?

How do you get it to skip over water?

The first one i need to learn is SPIN, When to use it, when not to and how it effects everything.

Backspin when you need the ball to stop quickly once landing, typically for shots onto the green when you don't want the ball to run away from the hole, etc. Side-spin is mainly only really useful for crafting shots around obstacles (trees, rocks, etc.), or when you want the ball to run at a slight angle from your current angle between yourself and the hole. Front spin is useful when you want the ball to just roll further, and can be also be used to perform crafty shots where you skip bunkers by 'hopping' over them with a good forward burst once the ball lands. All of these are highly dependant on the course, weather, wind, etc.

Another thing i would like to know is which clubs i should level and how. Is it worth using the 1W to try and level "control"? and also how these stats effect my shot. Power is a given, but what about control and backdoor? 

Of course the higher the level of your clubs the better they will be. Control affects your ability to hit the ball in a tighter area on where your aiming marker is. A low control rating may see your ball slice or draw to the side, even if you get Perfect Impact or good impact. Backdoor is something of a measure of how likely your club is to making the ball drop in the hole when the ball approaches the hole, e.g. if the ball is travelling to fast to the hole, a higher Backdoor rating will make it more likely for the ball to just about drop-in or circle the hole a few times before dropping in.

Super backspin is performed by holding :up: when you set your power (the second press of :cross: in the 3-press shot mode), and then holding :down: when setting the impact. You will also need to achieve a Perfect Impact in order for super backspin to trigger. There is also Ultra Backspin, where you need to basically do the same thing but instead of holding the directional arrows, you need to TAP them in time with your presses of :cross: . You can also do Super Sidespin and Super Frontspin using the same method, but simply change the D-pad buttons you press (:down: then :up: for frontspin, :left: then :right: for rightspin, :right: then :left: for leftspin).

Note that Ultra Backspin is only unlocked and can be triggered at Rank 4 or 5.

Super Frontspin the ball directly into the flagpole. This can only be done once you reach a certain Rank (3 or 4?)

Super Backspin the ball directly into the flagpole. This can only be done once you reach a certain Rank (2 or 3?)

Super Sidespin the ball directly into the flagpole. This can only be done once you reach a certain Rank (3 or 4?)

Frontspin helps, but main thing is to ensure the angle at which the ball hits the water isn't too high, the shallower the angle the more likely it is to skip. Applying even standard frontspin on a 1W shot should mean the ball would skip at least once on a 100% power shot.

Edited by BOT-Brad
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, BOT-Brad said:

The first one i need to learn is SPIN, When to use it, when not to and how it effects everything.

Backspin when you need the ball to stop quickly once landing, typically for shots onto the green when you don't want the ball to run away from the hole, etc. Side-spin is mainly only really useful for crafting shots around obstacles (trees, rocks, etc.), or when you want the ball to run at a slight angle from your current angle between yourself and the hole. Front spin is useful when you want the ball to just roll further, and can be also be used to perform crafty shots where you skip bunkers by 'hopping' over them with a good forward burst once the ball lands. All of these are highly dependant on the course, weather, wind, etc.

Of course the higher the level of your clubs the better they will be. Control affects your ability to hit the ball in a tighter area on where your aiming marker is. A low control rating may see your ball slice or draw to the side, even if you get Perfect Impact or good impact. Backdoor is something of a measure of how likely your club is to making the ball drop in the hole when the ball approaches the hole, e.g. if the ball is travelling to fast to the hole, a higher Backdoor rating will make it more likely for the ball to just about drop-in or circle the hole a few times before dropping in.

Super backspin is performed by holding :up: when you set your power (the second press of :cross: in the 3-press shot mode), and then holding :down: when setting the impact. You will also need to achieve a Perfect Impact in order for super backspin to trigger. There is also Ultra Backspin, where you need to basically do the same thing but instead of holding the directional arrows, you need to TAP them in time with your presses of :cross: . You can also do Super Sidespin and Super Frontspin using the same method, but simply change the D-pad buttons you press (:down: then :up: for frontspin, :left: then :right: for rightspin, :right: then :left: for leftspin).

Note that Ultra Backspin is only unlocked and can be triggered at Rank 4 or 5.

Super Frontspin the ball directly into the flagpole. This can only be done once you reach a certain Rank (3 or 4?)

Super Backspin the ball directly into the flagpole. This can only be done once you reach a certain Rank (2 or 3?)

Super Sidespin the ball directly into the flagpole. This can only be done once you reach a certain Rank (3 or 4?)

Frontspin helps, but main thing is to ensure the angle at which the ball hits the water isn't too high, the shallower the angle the more likely it is to skip. Applying even standard frontspin on a 1W shot should mean the ball would skip at least once on a 100% power shot.

Awesome tips thanks