External Hardrive on PS4 and PS3?

Nemmy_Wemmy

Okay, so I understand you can use them on both systems but my real question is, are you able to say...take your External Hardrive from your ps4 and put it in your PS3 and download something on your PS3? Without losing what you downloaded on your ps4 and be able to switch back and forth without losing data?

Ive tried searching but all I end up finding is things about how it works on one of them and it feels like no one has asked this before which I find bizarre. Also I'm too scared to try myself because I don't want to lose the games I've downloaded lols

So does anyone know if that's possible? I figured it would also be helpful to anyone who's thinkin the same.

5 minutes ago, The__High_Ground said:

Really you can't? So for example...I can't have Black Ops 3 and Black Ops 2 on one hardrive??

(aren't the games I want, just popular games that serve as a example) 

You wouldn't be able to do that anyways, the ps4 does support it, but the moment you try to use it on a different console, it would force you to format the hard drive to use it on that system

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

if you're talking about save data then yes u can, i do it all the time with my external hdd.
you can only have ps4 games on external hdds.

4 minutes ago, RVMcypress_grave said:

I'm a little confused, since when can you play games on an external drive for the ps3?

Aw crap I didn't know you couldn't save games on the external Hardrive on PS3! Well I feel stupid, eh I recently got it anyways so I didn't know much about it, but it is cool that u can save, saves from both systems at least. Well I found my answer fast

3 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

You wouldn't be able to do that anyways, the ps4 does support it, but the moment you try to use it on a different console, it would force you to format the hard drive to use it on that system

I figured since they were both FAT32 that if you could download PS3 games, that you could do that 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The__High_Ground said:

Aw crap I didn't know you couldn't save games on the external Hardrive on PS3! Well I feel stupid, eh I recently got it anyways so I didn't know much about it, but it is cool that u can save, saves from both systems at least. Well I found my answer fast

I figured since they were both FAT32 that if you could download PS3 games, that you could do that 

Ps3 doesn't support external hard drive to store games without hacking the system, the best you can do is install a larger internal drive

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Ps3 doesn't support external hard drive to store games without hacking the system, the best you can do is install a larger internal drive

Ahh I see thanks! At least I know now :D since I got it and I was able to download games on ps4 I assumed I could on PS3 too sucks man haha

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The__High_Ground said:

Ahh I see thanks! At least I know now :D since I got it and I was able to download games on ps4 I assumed I could on PS3 too sucks man haha

It's likely due to the usb 2.0 coupled with fat32 format, which results in super slow transfer speeds as to why they never added external use for games. There's also a file size limit for the hard drive itself, as fat32 on the ps3 only supports so much, before it won't work. 

Edited by SnowxSakura

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2017 at 2:02 AM, The High Ground said:

Okay, so I understand you can use them on both systems but my real question is, are you able to say...take your External Hardrive from your ps4 and put it in your PS3 and download something on your PS3? Without losing what you downloaded on your ps4 and be able to switch back and forth without losing data?

Ive tried searching but all I end up finding is things about how it works on one of them and it feels like no one has asked this before which I find bizarre. Also I'm too scared to try myself because I don't want to lose the games I've downloaded lols

So does anyone know if that's possible? I figured it would also be helpful to anyone who's thinkin the same.

[READ MY RECENT POST IN RELATION TO THIS HERE] I HAVE INCLUDED A QUICK PIC OF MINES. Ooooops Caps was on.