PS4 Controller (Prototype)

Arkthur

Source

We finally have an actual picture of what the PlayStation 4 controller looks like, at least in prototype form (see the above "Important Update" for more on that). The picture comes by way of Destructoid, which posted the picture taken from an unknown source.

244985-ibb-610x364.jpg

There’s a lot of familiar stuff on the controller along with a litany of new and interesting features. For starters, the directional pad (d-pad) on the left seems to feature meatier, bulkier buttons that are put closer together than on DualShock 3. The face buttons on the right side of the controller seem standard.

The analog sticks look to be a bit further apart, though they remain level, unlike the Xbox 360 controller's unevenly placed sticks. However, the sticks themselves are concave, like the Xbox 360’s. PlayStation 3’s controller includes convex analog sticks.

The much-rumored touch pad – a la the back of PlayStation Vita – appears at the center of the controller. There’s a small, mystery button to the left of the pad, above and to the right of the d-pad. Is this the rumored share button? Or is it a start or select button, both conspicuously absent from this version of the controller?

Meanwhile, there’s a glowing “something” on the top of the controller – most likely PlayStation Move-related – as well as a PlayStation button seemingly identical to the one on the PS3 controller. Above the PlayStation button appears to be a speaker, and what looks to be an audio jack is underneath the controller, perhaps used to plug in a headset.

We've reached out to Sony for official comment and will update when we hear back.

I like it, keep in mind this is an early prototype, so is likely the final product will be different, I hope it haven't changed that much.

Posted by: Melona

Digital Foundry has tweeted another picture of what purports to be the PlayStation 4 controller.

The new picture shows a headphone jack at the bottom of the controller, previously called the "mystery port". It also shows the touchpad on the front from a different angle, with one button on either side of it.

ps4controller1-610x428.jpg

Image credit Digital Foundry:

It is clearly the same prototype controller that was pictured yesterday, which IGN sources have asserted as genuine.

It's widely expected that the PS4 will be officially unveiled next Wednesday at a Sony event in New York. You can watch it live on IGN.

Edited by Arkthur_us

I think there should just be one thread for all PS4 news and updates. As for this controller, though it is a prototype, it looks terrible.

How does it look horrible? As Dark_Knight said, it looks the same as always, the same old controller with a touch screen, nothing else.

I kind of like it. It the same basic design I've loved since the original DualShock but with some added features. The screen doesn't look too intrusive so it won't be a massive gimick like the WiiU controller and it looks to be even more comfortable than the DualShock 3 already is.

Parker

I like the sticks, should be less common for my thumbs to slip which by the way always happens at the worst moments during a game, much like when the wife gets in front of the tv at just the wrong time. It never fails. Im convinced she does it on purpose.

I think women are just programmed to do that, my girlfriend does it aswell.

I hope they make the DS3 compatible with the next console as I wont be using the controller if it looks like that.

The new analog sticks look attractive to me. I like that at least. I doubt this is what it will look like in the end, prototypes have a tendency to be a little bulkier than the final market issue. Overall, not too bad. I don't want the back part and the sides to change. The PS3 controller fits perfectly in my hand most of the time. The touch screen seems natural and sleek...I like it....the only thing I really hope they DO NOT change is the d-pad....please...keep that the same

Looks good to me :)

takes care of all the small problems the old controllers have.

I dont like where the touchpad is though,unless they only use it as a button or 2 like select and start.

Would be better if it was on the back just like with the vita.

I guess that thing its connected to is a prototype ps4 then.

Edited by tw34kfr34ky

:| is it me or does the new analog sticks look smaller than the ps3's? :unsure: Though it's just a prototype, I like how the analog sticks is improved.They would prevent from thumb slipping when playing fast paced games. Though I don't know how we're going to use the touch pad since it's on top. :unsure: I hope they don't change the analog & d-pad buttons when the final design is out.

:unsure:

Only thing left now is for Sony to show what the console looks like B):ninja::holy::yay:

Edited by NightWing127

This is a new update from IGN

Digital Foundry has tweeted another picture of what purports to be the PlayStation 4 controller.

The new picture shows a headphone jack at the bottom of the controller, previously called the "mystery port". It also shows the touchpad on the front from a different angle, with one button on either side of it.

ps4controller1-610x428.jpg

Image credit Digital Foundry:

It is clearly the same prototype controller that was pictured yesterday, which IGN sources have asserted as genuine.

It's widely expected that the PS4 will be officially unveiled next Wednesday at a Sony event in New York. You can watch it live on IGN.

Edited by Melona