Cheap Bosses?

Incognito_D

Is it just me or are the bosses in this game way harder than normal, and not in a good way?

Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

Jingu in particular. He has a gun and so do his two henchmen. You can hardly attack any of them without getting shot or attacked by the others, and if you take the henchmen out they just come back to life with full health. I can't beat him, even with 15 healing items in my inventory.

He's not the only one I've struggle with due to cheap difficulty and I'm only playing on Normal! For the record, I've beaten Yakuza 5 on Ex Hard without the golden gun, and didn't even find it that bad.

What the fuck is this game's problem!? I feel like snapping the disc. ?

Style system is terrible. It made sense for 0 because he wasn't the Dragon of Dojima yet so he was still weak but it should not have been brought back period. It splits too many of his abilities apart and even weakens them greatly. It's off putting that 6 still uses it.

I mean this is a game series that still lets people block bullets and super heavy weapons with their bare hands.

Edited by Yadilie
  • Like 1

I feel like I just don't understand the combat in this game or something. To get through the boss fights I just brute force my way by using a shit ton of medicine. The bosses won't attack unless I attack first, and then when I do they'll dodge and hit me with an unblockable combo. That, or I'll counter or dodge an attack from them successfully, but it doesn't break their combo or anything and I'll just keep getting hit anyway. Only thing I can really do I guess is just build up some heat with Rush, switch to something else and do all my damage with heat actions. Rinse and repeat.

2 hours ago, Yadilie said:

Really? I saw experience that was colored different in some videos. If so then that's great news.

Yeah, there's only one fighting style in 6. Experience points are broken down into different categories but that just affects how you upgrade things (increasing damage requires different points than increasing your heat gauge, etc.)

1 hour ago, TehCro said:

I feel like I just don't understand the combat in this game or something. To get through the boss fights I just brute force my way by using a shit ton of medicine. The bosses won't attack unless I attack first, and then when I do they'll dodge and hit me with an unblockable combo. That, or I'll counter or dodge an attack from them successfully, but it doesn't break their combo or anything and I'll just keep getting hit anyway. Only thing I can really do I guess is just build up some heat with Rush, switch to something else and do all my damage with heat actions. Rinse and repeat.

If you can master Komaki's tiger punch, that's pretty much all you'll need for the majority of boss fights.

The gameplay is a huge step down from Zeros mainly down to how cheap the enemies are.

Giving Bosses regenerating health and power armour was a horrible idea, combine that with the appalling damage you deal and the Dragon of Dojima style basically unusable for the majority of the game because of how gimped it is it's a big drop from the bar Zero set.

I've always found the Yakuza games to be a little too easy, so I'd actually like a challenging Yakuza game but the way it was....'attempted' here was a mess to say the least.

Edited by MrManBuz
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2017 at 2:21 PM, MrManBuz said:

The gameplay is a huge step down from Zeros mainly down to how cheap the enemies are.

Giving Bosses regenerating health and power armour was a horrible idea, combine that with the appalling damage you deal and the Dragon of Dojima style basically unusable for the majority of the game because of how gimped it is it's a big drop from the bar Zero set.

I've always found the Yakuza games to be a little too easy, so I'd actually like a challenging Yakuza game but the way it was....'attempted' here was a mess to say the least.

I do realize most people feel like 0 came before Kiwami due to release date, but... Kiwami is still fundamentally the 2005 PS2 game, mechanically anyway. 

So, you're comparing a game that came out in 2005, to a game that came out in 2015, and it surprises you that 0's is more polished? Strange.

2 hours ago, Valyrious said:

I do realize most people feel like 0 came before Kiwami due to release date, but... Kiwami is still fundamentally the 2005 PS2 game, mechanically anyway. 

So, you're comparing a game that came out in 2005, to a game that came out in 2015, and it surprises you that 0's is more polished? Strange.

The poster never said anything about polish and neither of their specific complaints (regenerating health and the Dragon of Dojima style) existed in the PS2 game, IIRC.

22 hours ago, Valyrious said:

That's just plain wrong since it is a remake and not a remaster. Not to mention it is more or less a skin swap of 0. Their real problem is that they just love one step forward two steps back in design choices (or just plain dumb design choices ) and just have to try and fix what isn't broken like adding the aforementioned super armor and boss regeneration (and sometimes not fix what IS broken - fully skippable cutscenes when? Retry on climax battles or minigames when? Why did the legendary drinker item get nerfed in the first place?).

And honestly, having just finished 0 there were a lot of things that weren't well thought out or even given a shit about despite being broken. I mean the game advertises catfights as a quick way to make a lot of money and that is despite the fact nobody likes it because it just is that broken and bad. They also basically removed any and all rewards from stuff. Sure, you'd get golden gun through CP but besides trophy why would one go for 100%? No rewards to be found. And most minigames were completely unrewarding, most gambling games requiring low amounts of money for completion yet requiring a lot of time to complete (also, why streamline money -> token -> money when you force people to quit the minigame after every game anyway?) and on top of that despite some of the climax battles being way too stupid and time consuming they removed the rewards from that as well. The money system sucked, seriously.

End of rant.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cielle said:

What's holding you back exactly? I had to spend around 5 hours or more for a full straight since that's luck dependant. 

Its a complete RNG fest, also how the buggery ballocks did you mange to complete all the CPs for Mahjong in 5 hours?!  It took me 30 hours. You must of been EXTREMELY lucky. 

3 hours ago, Cielle said:

What's holding you back exactly? I had to spend around 5 hours or more for a full straight since that's luck dependant. 

Not my cup of tea. I don't understand it, even after lightly glancing at a 'guide' explaining how the game is played. I'm sure I could pick it up if I tried, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest so I can't say I'm compelled to.

Perhaps one day I'll have a nerd friend that knows what they're doing clear it for me. Even then, of the ten people I asked, nobody knows how to play real Mahjong. Surprise surprise.

6 hours ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Its a complete RNG fest, also how the buggery ballocks did you mange to complete all the CPs for Mahjong in 5 hours?!  It took me 30 hours. You must of been EXTREMELY lucky. 

RNG is definitely involved, but so is strategy; it shouldn't take anywhere near 30 hours to complete the Mahjong tasks. It took me 4-5 hours as well, I believe. I definitely did it in a single evening.

14 hours ago, cckerberos said:

RNG is definitely involved, but so is strategy; it shouldn't take anywhere near 30 hours to complete the Mahjong tasks. It took me 4-5 hours as well, I believe. I definitely did it in a single evening.

I just kept attempting to get Riichii and Tsumo, this has clearly took alot longer for me, i probably didn't know the better strategies. 

22 hours ago, Valyrious said:

Not my cup of tea. I don't understand it, even after lightly glancing at a 'guide' explaining how the game is played. I'm sure I could pick it up if I tried, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest so I can't say I'm compelled to.

Perhaps one day I'll have a nerd friend that knows what they're doing clear it for me. Even then, of the ten people I asked, nobody knows how to play real Mahjong. Surprise surprise.

I wouldn't mind helping on shareplay though I'd have to sit down and do it all over again lol. I don't know how exactly to play but it's pretty set in my mind from Zero. 

On 9/11/2017 at 7:46 PM, EternalChaos72 said:

There is quite a bit of luck involved. Highest hand I ever got was like 14k or something. Wearing luck items I think helps out a bit too, this didn't take me the day or so it took me in Zero. I was struggling like hell and had to learn the basics of mahjong and go from there. 

Kiwami 2 will most likely have it, but we'll see. 

Edited by Cielle

2 hours ago, Cielle said:

I wouldn't mind helping on shareplay though I'd have to sit down and do it all over again lol. I don't know how exactly to play but it's pretty set in my mind from Zero. 

Why would you want to subject yourself to that kind of pain? I mean, if you seriously want to help, I'll gladly accept it because I really truly can't learn Mahjong for the life of me, but you don't have to. I've almost made peace of not getting the platinum. Just trying my best to clean up my first playthrough before finishing the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Before derailing OP's thread with more complaints about mahjong, I just want to also say that I had alot of trouble with the gun abusing boss on the rooftop, as well as the Jingu fight of course. I played on Hard fwiw. I had no Staminans by the time I was fighting Nishiki and relied on the passive healing accessory. I'm the first to admit I'm not great at videogames but I too feel like I'm missing something here. Most times it feels like only Rush style  is viable for most fights late game. 

Absolutely bone headed boss designs. Honestly the Yakuza combat engine isn't as great as people make it out to be. Especially with Kiwami's treatment of styles and how Kiryu never completely feels all that proficient. Granted, I never did finish the Dragon and Komaki styles. Too much grinding. 

It's all really easy if you're doing most of the possible side content before moving on to the story bits. I know this isn't for everyone but originally I played this first game on ps2 as a straight-up action adventure without doing much side stuff or upgrading & I found it a pretty annoying experience. Ever since the second game I've hit the side stuff hard and been overpowered for the story ever since. I can't imagine going through the game without the Tiger Drop, it feels so good to execute. I can do that final battle in the colesium in under a minute thanks to that move. It really took the edge off the weapons grind.

I've seen lots of comments all around the place about the climax battles being a bastard but I thought they were really fun save for trying to bait Goromi to do enough counterable attacks before the time ran out.

Just got 100% in Kiwami yesterday, first time doing this in any of the games so I had to learn Mahjong which took an hour or two, then a few more hours for the completion points. Got a full straight before I'd even gone out twice & managed to get 7 han a few times so didn't even need the cheat item. Once I figured the game out I couldn't help but get a bit mad every time I'd see my discard pile, half the time I could have made an amazing hand if I'd have just discarded different tiles. I like Mahjong now & will hit it up in future games, might even go back to an old one.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8-9-2017 at 0:07 AM, Incognito_D said:

Is it just me or are the bosses in this game way harder than normal, and not in a good way?

Spoilers ahead:

Hide contents

Jingu in particular. He has a gun and so do his two henchmen. You can hardly attack any of them without getting shot or attacked by the others, and if you take the henchmen out they just come back to life with full health. I can't beat him, even with 15 healing items in my inventory.

He's not the only one I've struggle with due to cheap difficulty and I'm only playing on Normal! For the record, I've beaten Yakuza 5 on Ex Hard without the golden gun, and didn't even find it that bad.

What the fuck is this game's problem!? I feel like snapping the disc. 1f621.png

i just defeated him, like trying 4 times, i was raging so hard it was not funny anymore

• 3 weeks later...

Just beat the game for the first time and for me the difficulty is split in 2 parts.

The part before Tiger Drop, which is the part with the annoying constantly blocking and dodging bosses. Took a lot of health drinks.

And the part after. Which is POW POW heat action POW win. Even Jingu. After I realised his henchmen got back up after taking them down I focussed on him. (it helped that the henchmen lost their guns in favor of a knife, so it may be good to take them out once anyway). I think it took about 3 or 4 Tiger drops for him to bite the dust, and that was without canceling his healing.

Tiger drop makes all the bosses, coliseum opponents and Majima a complete joke. Takes a while to get it though.