FFVIII Theories Finally Put to Rest

Dav9834

16 minutes ago, Matrim_Drasgen said:

As for the guy who said 'No' to the theories, the dude is a producer. Is it his place to give definitive answers like that? I figure that would fall more on the creator(s), writer(s) and such to say yay or nay on things.

The one who pays makes the final decision in games. If he says nope, and they want to re-release it, he gets the final say on whether it's true. 

Though I understand what you mean as "did the writers have it in mind"(at least for the Rinoa/Ultimecia theory because I don't think they ever even considered the thought of squall dieing when making the script) 

2 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

The one who pays makes the final decision in games. If he says nope, and they want to re-release it, he gets the final say on whether it's true. 

Though I understand what you mean as "did the writers have it in mind"(at least for the Rinoa/Ultimecia theory because I don't think they ever even considered the thought of squall dieing when making the script) 

Hmmm, interesting. It is unique idea, never heard of the second one, may try to remember to go look it up but doubtful. Only thing I cared about 8 was beating it to put in my "beatien every FF since VII minus the two MMOs" column. Though still working on X-2, need Lightning Returns and XV.

10 hours ago, Leenewbe said:

REMAKE? i'd just settle for the steam versions of 8 and 9 being ported to ps4 with trophies. ;) 

That's what will happen sooner or later. I can wait for the time that's necessary, little or nothing i don't care about the theories, it's my favorite game of all time and i will do everything to have 100% .. already not to say that next to skyrim and TW3 is the only game that i love all the songs

Spoiler

• Like 1

I remember first playing FFVIII on the PC way back years ago and got kinda confused at the end of Disc 1 with the situation of Squall and later on the whole Rinoa being Ultimecia theory. Very interesting read and thanks for the information that clears many doubts. Felt like going back and dive into this great JRPG once again. 

Edited by fantrig99
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, fantrig99 said:

I remember first playing FFVIII on the PC way back years ago and got kinda confused at the end of Disc 1 with the situation of Squall and later on the whole Rinoa being Ultimecia theory. Very interesting read and thanks for the information that clears many doubts. Felt like going back and dive into this great JRPG once again. 

Yw! 

On 8.9.2017 at 1:10 PM, SnowxSakura said:

It's never been confirmed if dissidia is canon or not, as far as her being able to junction griever as a guardian force, all it takes is for her to possess someone for a short time to use their abilities

Two very good points.

Although even if it is not cannon the implication is that even developers involved with FF (and not only fans) are seriously thinking about the theory which automatically gives it way more credibility.

• 7 months later...
On 9/7/2017 at 9:13 PM, SnowxSakura said:

In the cutscene where squall was stabbed, you could tell it went into his right shoulder, not sure why people thought he was dead. 

Never heard the rinoa theory before, ultimecia uses her powers to posses sorceresses, even states that in the game

Getting stabbed in the shoulder can kill you. There's a major artery that runs there. Still, it is nice that it this was cleared up.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:11 AM, sephiroth4424 said:

I saw FFVIII and clicked without reading the rest.Damn it, i thought they released it with trophies

But you're in the "Unreleased & Trophyless Games" board... :hmm:

That's really lame and decredits the game and its legacy. It's kind of like how Zelda timeline lost its allure (essentially the "Legend" in Zelda) when Nintendo made it official. Now there's no fun to have with it anymore, everyone just sits on their behinds waiting for some PR announcement or interview to tell them what to think, so no "mistakes" can be made.These kind of things are exactly what made game stories worth getting invested in. The way I see it, these theories were evidence that people got really involved in the lore and themes of the game, which means the story was actually succesful. Squall is dead, along with Zodiac Brave theory and Spira=FF7 Gaia theories were some of the best in FF.

Edited by mecharobot

1 hour ago, mecharobot said:

That's really lame and decredits the game and its legacy. It's kind of like how Zelda timeline lost its allure (essentially the "Legend" in Zelda) when Nintendo made it official. Now there's no fun to have with it anymore, everyone just sits on their behinds waiting for some PR announcement or interview to tell them what to think, so no "mistakes" can be made.These kind of things are exactly what made game stories worth getting invested in. The way I see it, these theories were evidence that people got really involved in the lore and themes of the game, which means the story was actually succesful. Squall is dead, along with Zodiac Brave theory and Spira=FF7 Gaia theories were some of the best in FF.

The Zodiac Brave theory was all made up by a well-known GameFAQs troll and AFAIK it wasn't even "released".

Also the Spira=FF7 Gaia theory wasn't exactly about that. Spira is NOT supposed to be Gaia, it's supposed to be another planet in the same universe.

Meh it's just BS like when someone made a theory about Noctis being homosexual years before FFXV was even released.

Edited by Lance_87

Just now, Lance_87 said:

The Zodiac Brave theory was all made up by a well-known GameFAQs troll.

Also the Spira=FF7 Gaia theory wasn't exactly about that. Spira is NOT supposed to be Gaia, it's supposed to be another planet in the same universe.

Meh it's just BS like when someone made a theory about Noctis being homosexual years before FFXV was even released.

The point is not if it was made up by a troll, or even how much sense it truly makes. The point is that "fact"-obsessed type of thinking is fundamentally missing the point of storytelling and it's making game fandoms into passive people waiting to be fed with the "truth" (likely for paid DLC and merchandise), as if that truth is going to make them happy somehow. It's like people don't know how to have fun anymore. Any conversation about a game story/lore is going to end up in some meaningless link exchange for some kind of online-victory, even when the purpose was not to have an argument to begin with. It's just sad really.

3 hours ago, mecharobot said:

The point is not if it was made up by a troll, or even how much sense it truly makes. The point is that "fact"-obsessed type of thinking is fundamentally missing the point of storytelling and it's making game fandoms into passive people waiting to be fed with the "truth" (likely for paid DLC and merchandise), as if that truth is going to make them happy somehow. It's like people don't know how to have fun anymore. Any conversation about a game story/lore is going to end up in some meaningless link exchange for some kind of online-victory, even when the purpose was not to have an argument to begin with. It's just sad really.

I personally like the lore of FFVIII, I don't think anything needed to be added like squalls dead. I felt it smudged the actual lore of the game which is amazing on its own. 

I would love to know more about the Centra civilization though, and what brought about the lunar cry 100 years prior. There's so little information on the specifics that happened. The lore is in place, it just needs to be expanded on. 

I'd love a FF game that took place at that time, without us knowing it's really a prequel to FFVIII until the very end, and then everything gets wiped out by the lunar cry. Very emotional if the characters are extremely likeable. 

A good director could go far with that idea. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, FailGecko said:

Thanks for the info! Had no idea any statements were made about the theories, WOW. 

Np! Was happy to get some concrete information! It's my favorite FF! 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/19/2018 at 3:50 AM, mecharobot said:

Amen to this, brother, even if it is 7 months late in the mentioning.

I remember when some Dark Souls dude came out and said that Kirk, Knight of Thorns was actually a Chaos Servant, and not a Darkwraith (like literally every piece of lore in the game said).

Lore is fun right up until the Lore Police step in. It's like everything needs an "official" version nowadays. What a bore. That's not to say that such hypotheses don't deserve to be debated, ridiculed, and worshiped by fans. But when these producer-types step in and say, "No, this is what actually happened", when they didn't bother to put it in the damn game itself, then it's ruined.

Edited by starcrunch061