So you think Nintendo won't have a trophy system? :)

MidnightCJ

Guess again. An indie developer called AMA, which is making their indie game LICHTSPEER(which is a game about barbarian Germans throwing spears xD) posted this:

Hey @Pangloss_ex_machina,

Nintendo doesn't have an official support for Achievements and Leaderboards, like Sony or Microsoft but we know that they're working on it. We'll see how it goes and we'll add the rankings along the way.

Yes, I know this is from the words of an indie game developer, but these guys were approached by the House of Mario and asked if they could port the game to the Nintendo Switch, and therefore they have been in touch with the Big N, so if they say "we know they are working on it", then they shouldn't be dismissed.

It probably won't happen until 2018, but they know Nintendo is working on a system like the trophy system we have for Nintendo Switch games. So if you start seeing an alert on Super Mario Odyssey when you do something amazing in 2018, don't be surprised. ;)

• Like 3

That is very interesting indeed, I mean I only have a 2DS myself, so I doubt that'll get support for such achievements.  But there have been games I believe, that have done something like that before.  I think Pokemon Black and White 2 did something like that in the form of medals if I'm not mistaken.  And in a way, Smash Bros on the 3DS has done it (I have the game), in the form of those character model things you collect in game.

I mean hey, I do want to get a Nintendo Switch eventually myself, but it's still too expensive for me right now, but if I ever do get one and they do add in achievements or something similar to games like Zelda, Mario and the likes, that would be pretty awesome.

I don't care at all.

I've been a longtime Nintendo fan but since Nintendo released the Wii U I just couldn't care less about all the BS they are trying to force down our throats (Amiibos, Mobile games, cheap looking consoles AND controllers, an unforgivable technological difference compared to Sony and Microsoft) plus their arrogance is just too much. They like to talk about "best gameplay", well, the only thing I've seen from them for the past 10 years is using the same licenses with the same gameplay again and again and again and ... The only good thing they did that was different was Breath of the Wild but the game is so overrated that I couldn't help but feel disappointed when I played it. (Still a good game but I'll just give it a 6.5/10, far from being the best Zelda)

Finally, I think this is too late to jump on the train now even though I would have love them to add a "Trophy" system before, because I have spent thousands of hours with my 3DS.

(If you disagree, no need to be rude, that's just MY opinion :) )

Edited by itachi-destroyer
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, itachi-destroyer said:

since Nintendo released the Wii U I just couldn't care less about all the BS they are trying to force down our throats

I understand how you feel about that. I was tempted to buy an Amiibo for my 3DS but after the debacle that was LEGO Dimensions, I just couldn't stand the thought of spending money on figures that are just going to rot on the bookshelf 90% of the time. I did briefly own a Wii U and try out Breath of the Wild(but sent the Wii U to GameStop for Playstation Cash), so I will probably get a Switch for that and the upcoming Pokemon titles since I have to keep updated on Poketto Monsters. ^_^

I don't care either if Nintendo decides to have future games unlock "Badges" or whatever trophy system they use. Part of me hates the idea because then the only game I could play without an achievement system is something like some random computer game and my OCD would be in sugar heaven and restrict my Switch purchases. On the other hand, it would be nice to know how well you are exploring the games. ;)

Even if they did implement a trophy/achievement system for the Switch, I think it's too late for anybody to care. I mean trophies/achievements have been around for about 10 years at this point. It's well established and has a dedicated audience who are into them. I can't imagine any trophy/achievement hunters are gonna jump ship over to Nintendo at this point to start all over from the beginning. And let's not forget that Nintendo still don't know how to create a proper online service. They should probably get that sorted out first.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Winkuru said:

I prefer them not to have them simply because i don't want to get enticed by them. It's easier to beat and game and then move on when there's no achievements to be had.

Interesting player card you have there, you do it yourself? ;)

I am with you in a way about the whole no achievement system thing. Nintendo stuff is probably stuff I'd like to go to when I am burned out on trophies, just hop into Pokemon Moon and check my Poke-Pelago islands and harvest the beans on it and stuff, not worrying about whether I got enough Poke Beans to earn a gold trophy. ^_^ On the other hand, even if they did decide to make the Switch into an "badge paradise", we'd still have the old games to fall back on.

On the one hand, I am always curious to know if I have unlocked a hypothetical trophy whenever I am playing a Switch game. I always wonder if Nintendo released a trophy/achievement system, what trophies would I have already unlocked and would I have any platinums or 100% games. I know there are a couple of games that would have woeful completion rates e.g. Binding of Isaac. When Nintendo do have in-game achievements, I do have a blast trying to unlock them and don't feel as much pressure as I do with some PS4 games in doing so e.g. Smash Bros.

On the other hand, I don't want the Switch to implement an achievement system. Part of the reason I am enjoying it is because I can just sit back and enjoy the game. I still try to get 100% if I can but, at the same time, I don't have to worry about missables, or speed runs or grinding for over 100 hours to unlock one trophy. It is the only reason I am buying WWE 2K18 on the Switch is because I don't have to worry about this. Almost a year after the game has come out, I am still working my way towards the platinum for 2K17. I really don't want to have to do this with the Switch console as well.

I am quite torn about this because I know an achievement system would enhance the overall Switch experience. But, knowing me, I would feel compelled to go over all of my Switch games once more to get any remaining trophies. :(

I find this news exciting.  My idea for a Nintendo-type trophy system is as follows.  Inspired by PS, it spawns coins in lieu of trophies, and has different point values.

Gold coin 15 points

Blue coin 30 points

Red coin 45 points

Star coin 90 points

Perhaps Nintendo could even spin it so you can redeem coins for in-game merchandise, like outfits or weapons.  So you'd have two coin 'buckets': one aggregate total that doesn't diminish, and one for spending.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MidnightCJ said:

Interesting player card you have there, you do it yourself? ;)

I am with you in a way about the whole no achievement system thing. Nintendo stuff is probably stuff I'd like to go to when I am burned out on trophies, just hop into Pokemon Moon and check my Poke-Pelago islands and harvest the beans on it and stuff, not worrying about whether I got enough Poke Beans to earn a gold trophy. ^_^ On the other hand, even if they did decide to make the Switch into an "badge paradise", we'd still have the old games to fall back on.

I guess in a sense that i took the screenshot myself.