So you think Nintendo won't have a trophy system? :)

MidnightCJ

On 9/10/2017 at 2:57 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

Well, first, Ninty needs to work on their online environment before they can work on achievements. I don't think that is going to happen any time soon.

On the other hand, if it doesn't happen when Switch is in its prime, it's never going to happen.

What's wrong with their online environment?

1 hour ago, NEV said:

What's wrong with their online environment?

It's completely decentralized. There's not even common interface in-between same consoles (they changed it on Switch a bit but it's still not perfect) as you can't claim digital purchased games as easily as on PSN/MS. So, if your 3DS dies and you didn't do System Transfer, your digital games are lost. If you unlink your account, your games are lost. 

That's why this needs to be handled first before they can even think of making an achievement system.

• Like 1

On ١٠‏/٩‏/٢٠١٧ at 9:55 PM, Caesar Clown said:

Nintendo games have had achievements in them for years now, they just aren't tied into the account, but the game itself. Smash Bros on 3DS/Wii U is a good example.

there's also Xenoblade chronicle X on Wii U, it had in-game achievements. 

as far as I know it's achievements is super grindy and insanely hard to attempt.

43 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

It's completely decentralized. There's not even common interface in-between same consoles (they changed it on Switch a bit but it's still not perfect) as you can't claim digital purchased games as easily as on PSN/MS. So, if your 3DS dies and you didn't do System Transfer, your digital games are lost. If you unlink your account, your games are lost. 

That's why this needs to be handled first before they can even think of making an achievement system.

Wow! Holy Sheep, that's a f***** up situation O_O

they don't have a system to refund you or let you have your games back for free if you got a new system when your old one suddenly die and all your digital purchases gone with it?

Achievements on Nintendo would be cool, but they've been absent for so long, that I don't really care if they never happen. I've still 100% completed several Nintendo games over the years, just because it was enjoyable to do so. Having a achievement/trophy to declare I've caught every single Pokemon or got pink flowers in all the challenges in Pikmin 2 would be nice, but I care less about it when all my past achievements on previous consoles are never going to be "official" on any online system.

Wow! Holy Sheep, that's a f***** up situation O_O

they don't have a system to refund you or let you have your games back for free if you got a new system when your old one suddenly die and all your digital purchases gone with it?

Yeah, it's why I've always been a bit apprehensive about buying too much from the eshops. If there's a game on virtual console that I can still play on an older system I own, I'll tend to try and get it physical, even if it's a lot more expensive, because at least then I feel more "secure" in actually owning the game.

I don't know how it's taken Nintendo so long to catch up to what was just something you'd take for granted on the 360 and PS3 over a decade ago. Having all your digital games tied to one system is beyond archaic.

I have heard of people losing their 3DS and phoning Nintendo up to basically beg for their games back, which has apparently worked for some. But you shouldn't have to do that in the first place when you can easily re-download your purchases onto another console with Playstation and Xbox, and have been able to long before the release of the 3DS and Wii U.

Edited by SuperSmexy500

It's mostly hearsay, but if Nintendo really does go back on this, they're bigger whores than I thought they were. Nintendo's whole reason for no achievements/trophies was their philosophy that people should play games however they want. Personally, I thought it was a lazy, lousy philosophy, but at least they articulated it.

Seriously, Nintendo, get your crap together, or pack your bags already. It's not like this will convince me that your company doesn't exist in the Stone Age:

9 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Amen to that.

16 hours ago, TheDreaminHawk said:

I'm nervous it's just the leaderboards they're working on but I'll buy lots more multiplats for Switch if it gets an achievement system

Well, they did mention "achievements" when the person just asked about leaderboards/rankings in the original questionWwapGMO.png

so if it was just leaderboards, they probably wouldn't have mentioned achievements at all

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

It's mostly hearsay, but if Nintendo really does go back on this, they're bigger whores than I thought they were. Nintendo's whole reason for no achievements/trophies was their philosophy that people should play games however they want. Personally, I thought it was a lazy, lousy philosophy, but at least they articulated it.

Well, we have a naysayer in the Loud Voice Category. ?

I agree that the thought of Nintendo having trophy support for their games sorts of sounds like hypocrisy, and I agreed with their original no-go philosophy. The reason you stated was sound - I do not want to have to play Miitopia 2 (actually, no Miis on the Switch so they decided to ditch those avatars because they thought it was stupid, shame as I just bought Miitopia digitally[damn you $50 Bowser card :(] and I really enjoy the whole "my self-avatar is the leader of a heroic group dedicated to slaying this evil dark lord who is doing evil things and I can make them whoever I want) and find that I have to get to Level 99 with all of my characters for a gold star. I get this sort of sh** with Playstation and have avoided games that looked like fun like the plague because of the stuff you need to get a platinum trophy.

Now, if they offered Nintendo points to trade in for merchandise or discounts on their games, sort of like Gamestop's Power-Up Points program, for every 'platinum trophy' you earn, I might change my mind. :P

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 0:39 AM, Satoshi Ookami said:

But they are fixing it, right?

Edited by NEV

Part of me thinks since they haven't implemented it by now that they never will, would love for them to do so as some Nintendo franchises are my favourite games. Just finished Breath of the Wild getting all the shrines and would've preferred some online trophy/achievement on display to recognise it rather than unlocking a tunic that looks very similar to the 8 bit Link amiibo one lol. Best I think we are gonna get is in game achievements like the Smash Bros trophies and the Hyrule Warriors medals.

Edited by HornieDee88
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2017 at 9:51 AM, Eyjabria said:

That's quite interesting news. Part of me wants it to be true and part of me doesn't. I kind of like playing games without the "pressure" of having to get all trophies/achievement. I wonder if the achievements/leaderboards will tie to My Nintendo or their Switch Online services.

I agree with your part that doesn't.

In the past half year of Switch gaming, I've come to rediscover the joy of trophyless gaming. No list to tell you what to do or how to play... Actually every single game I bought since getting the Switch that was available on both the Switch and the PS4, I bought on the Switch. Also, when playing new games on the PS4, I turn off trophy notifications and I don't even look at the list until I've done one playthrough.