Need advice on buying a ps3

Leaderboards

Very happy with my PS4. I would like to buy a PS3 now. in 2017, what would be the best option?

Buying new or a used one?

I got my eye on the super slim model since it is the newest.

New ones are not sold in store anymore.

New ones go for $260+ on Amazon...damn almost as much as my Ps4 lol.

What would be the safest way of being a used one and not breaking in the first month of use?

Craigslist, Pawnshops, Amazon, or eBay?

Edited by TurdFlingingApe
  • Like 1

I'll be talking for myself when I say you should go for a used ps3, since it is cheaper to buy and it does the same as the other models, and there is a lot of offer, but if you want a brand new model and have money to spend go for that amazon model.

Ps. Bought a PS3 Slim 120gb in 2010 new and it is still kicking :) I only wish it had more storage space.

• Like 1

Not sure about America (as I am assuming that's where you're from, judging from your profile), but here in New Zealand new PS3s are roughly $200 and new PS4s are roughly $400. I personally like to purchase my consoles new, as I don't really trust used systems. We also don't have Amazon here so I can't really compare any prices for you. If you're going for a used PS3 and are afraid of it's survivablity it's best to get a hold of the seller themselves. They should be able to provide you with all the information you need. Sorry if this wasn't very helpful, I'm not in the same country nor have ever purchased a used console so this probably wasn't very helpful.

I have the second generation PS3 (the fat one but not the first-first one) and have had it since 2008. It's still alive, as well as my PS4 obviously. I have the original PS4 and that one has been with me since 2014. I clean both monthly and I'm not expecting either of these consoles to be dying out anytime soon!

Edited by ddracarys
  • Like 1

If you buy a new one now, it'll hold you many many years. I still have my original ps3 i bought 6-7 years ago and it works fine :) On the other hand i'm already on my third Ps4 (first one had minor issues and then upgrade to pro).

Buying a used one has the advantage that you can get them pretty cheap and sometimes you even get a small - big game collection with it, my friend who bought a used one got about 15 games with it for barely more money.

• Like 1

I have both second generation fat and latest slim, last works just fine and I bought both as new in their time of production.

Fat model doesn't works properly since it has fallen from a high, so for the first and most important before buying used - ask for a lot of photos and investigate them for any suspicion scratches and other damage. Exactly, it runs every game, and in service center they have said there is no problem in it. But it turns itself off time to time.

The second less important, you can friendly ask for a PSN account id and from here examine the tempo how intensively console has been used, in hardcore 12 hours sessions to unlock trophies etc, or in casual style. 

Edited by Bloodytears1666
  • Like 1

I wouldn't recommend a new PS3 personally, it isn't worth the money, especially since the super slim model is arguably the worst of the PS3 models (they top loader disc drive...). I brought a brand new PS3 last year after my 8 year old fatty finally basically died on me (still works, but will shut itself down randomly with 3 beeps and a blinking red light before even getting past the title screen of a game). After 5 months, the new PS3 died. It didn't show any indication of dying aside from occasional freezing, which I got on my original PS3. I just came in the room one day after leaving a game paused for about 10-15 minutes, and it had frozen. Tried the usual; XMB wouldn't open, opened the disc drive, and holding down the power for well over 20 seconds didn't do anything, so I ended up having to turn it off by the mains.

After that, the PS3 would still turn on, but there was no display on the TV at all. Tried literally everything I could think of, but no luck. I've had to turn off my original PS3 (and other consoles) from the mains in the past, and that never bricked them, so I was a bit shocked that a brand new PS3 couldn't survive that. Anyhow, since I still had warranty on it, I took it back to the store, they couldn't get it to work either, so they offered a refund or replacement. Took the replacement, which was also a brand new PS3, and it's mostly been working fine for the past 11 months. I say mostly because, I have been having on and off issues with the disc drive, there's times where it just doesn't seem to want to read the disc, and I have to open and close the tray, or take the disc out and put it in again, to get it to read. Also had a few other weird issues with it, such as error codes when syncing trophies or cloud saves, even when PSN is fine, few errors when starting games, freezing in games that have never had freezing for me before, etc.

Honestly, it's kind of just been a nightmare with the Super Slim. I'm honestly just thinking of trying to get my fatty repaired some time so I don't have to keep putting up with all its issues.

TL;DR: Don't bother with a brand new PS3, just because it's new, it doesn't mean it won't have issues.

Personally, I'd recommend going for the regular slim model. I've never owned one, but I hear they're the best out of the PS3 models. No YLOD that the fat suffers from, and less disc drive issues. My boyfriend has had one since the slim model first released, and it's still kicking.

I suggest trying to get a pre-owned one that has warranty if possible. Here in the UK at least, you automatically get a 2 year warranty on all second-hand hardware at Cex, for example.

• Like 2

I bought 3 ps3s in my lifetime and all pre-owned via ebay... 2 fat ladies and 1 slim... the fat ones had the YLOD both after 1 year each but i never thought of buying a new (unused) console. Because the used ones are cheaper and still around 100€ up to this day... but i got a controller and a few games each time... i placed a fan beneath my current ps3 and hope it works longer than the last model... and concidering the hard drive, i bought a 500 gb and kept it....

@yellowwindow7 are there even 1 TB ps3 versions? All i know is up to 500 GB which is fine... my hard drive was never over 50% even with 10-12 games installed... on the ps4 it's a different story though that's true...

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

Dick advice: Buy a fat backward compatible one and get a boner every time you turn it on.

Realistic advice: Buy used. The PS4 (and Xbone) are really competitive and as such, there are some tremendous deals. New PS3s are a lot less common to come by and as such, have seemingly jumped over the bargain basement price point and into the part where they don't yet cost a fortune but still demand a pretty penny. If you can find a reasonably priced preowned one, preferably with backward compatibility, then I say go for it. I picked up my BC fatty for 80 bucks with 2 official Sony controllers nearly a year ago now and it's working a treat. Keep your eye on preowned shops and maybe even online, never know. Personally, I wouldn't pay anything more than 70 odd for a preowned one, but that's in AUD and we have a bevy of them in every preowned corner shop, so adjust accordingly. I would go up to 150 odd for backward compatibility, but that's getting increasingly rarer to come by as the days go on.

PS Now might also be an option depending on your price range, internet speed, insurance policies, budget allowance, time limitations, funeral plans, and opinions on PS Now as a whole. And your location. 

• Like 1

Right well I have a question, what if you buy a second hand PS3 that has had a Custom Firmware that you don't know about? I mean what if you get a console ban and a psn ban? This is whats stopping me from using a slim I own, it's a PAL console that defaults at 480P as apposed to 576P, clearly it's had a region change but not by me. I mean what are the risks? I also need a replacement PS3.

Oh yeah, I also own a Phat that I know has been messed with by a friend, it's just a waste of space to be honest. I legitimized it but knowing it's been previously hacked makes me not want to use it.

Edited by Z1MZUM
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Z1MZUM said:

Right well I have a question, what if you buy a second hand PS3 that has had a Custom Firmware that you don't know about? I mean what if you get a console ban and a psn ban? This is whats stopping me from using a slim I own, it's a PAL console that defaults at 480P as apposed to 576P, clearly it's had a region change but not by me. I mean what are the risks? I also need a replacement PS3.

Oh yeah, I also own a Phat that I know has been messed with by a friend, it's just a waste of space to be honest. I legitimized it but knowing it's been previously hacked makes me not want to use it.

If you worry about this then buy a Super Slim, Super Slims cannot be downgraded to the Firmware required for CFW (There are other ways around this though but it's not CFW).

It's not known officially whether Sony can detect CFW usage once it's been re-flashed to OFW, some say doing the flash to OFW from the recovery menu removes the usage of CFW logs but I don't know. You might be ok, but it is a risk & if you have a PSN account loaded with purchases & trophies you don't want to lose, then I wouldn't even try it.

• Like 1

All depends on how many titles you wish to play on ps3. Ps3 was actually my 1st console ever, bought about 4 years ago. It wasn't new one but I got it from friend of a friend who bought it brand new and after a month he decided it's not his kind of entertainment and as he didn't care about spent money that much, I grabbed 320gb white slim with 2 pads and GTA V for 120 bucks or something which was pretty good price at the time. 

I got myself ps4 last year and wanted to sell 3 to someone close (didn't have time to bother with auctions, etc) but I finally held on with that and turns out I play more on ps3 nowadays than I do on last gen. 

However I strongly advise against superslim. Drive on the top and that silly sliding cover looks like some cheap chinese crap to me. 

Bottom line is I would put together all games you'd like to play and just decide are they really worth the trouble but I say go for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I bought 3 ps3s in my lifetime and all pre-owned via ebay... 2 fat ladies and 1 slim... the fat ones broke after 1 year each but i never thought of buying a new (unused) console. Because the used ones are cheaper and still around 100€ up to this day... but i got a controller and a few games each time... i placed a fan beneath my current ps3 and hope it works longer than the last model... and concidering the hard drive, i bought a 500 gb and kept it....

@yellowwindow7 are there even 1 TB ps3 versions? All i know is up to 500 GB which is fine... my hard drive was never over 50% even with 10-12 games installed... on the ps4 it's a different story though that's true...

and here I thought that there are 1TB ready ps3's nowdays.

anyhow, if you got a 500GB ps3 and you got an extra money just buy a 1TB HDD and install it on your ps3.

after getting a ps4 I really started to appreciate the small data size of ps3 contents even more, the biggest size games on ps3 as far as I know was GT5 and 6 the highest standard is 12GB and can racks up to 20GB after all the updated patch been installed, GT6 on my ps3 have now reach around 24GB. 

there's also Final Fantasy 14, on ps3 I heard it's around 40GB for the Digital version,  don't know though, I remember I tried to download the trial version until I heard that it's a monthly pay to play game as the first month on the trial you can play it for free, this made me cancel the download and drive me away from the ps4 version.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TurdFlingingApe said:

Very happy with my PS4. I would like to buy a PS3 now. in 2017, what would be the best option?

Buying new or a used one?

I got my eye on the super slim model since it is the newest.

New ones are not sold in store anymore.

New ones go for $260+ on Amazon...damn almost as much as my Ps4 lol.

What would be the safest way of being a used one and not breaking in the first month of use?

Craigslist, Pawnshops, Amazon, or eBay?

Have you actually looked at some brick and mortar stores? For example, lower-end stores like Kmart are often terrible about moving stock, so you might find one there. $260 seems like a lot to pay for a PS3 in 2017.

I

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SuperSmexy500 said:

Personally, I'd recommend going for the regular slim model. I've never owned one, but I hear they're the best out of the PS3 models. No YLOD that the fat suffers from, and less disc drive issues. My boyfriend has had one since the slim model first released, and it's still kicking.

This right here!! I have 2 320GB Slim PS3's and have upgraded one of them to a 1TB HDD and have had ZERO issues with it. Gave my other 320GB one to my brother and again, ZERO issues. 

• Like 1

I've been thinking of getting another PS3 soon myself. I gave my 160GB Slim away to a flatmate a few years ago - more a favour to myself, in order to "focus on other things," than for the flatmate in question. Would like to revisit my digital collection after all this time, maybe collect a few more plats. 

To answer your question, I'm with the others saying that the Slim PS3 is the best model to go for, new or used. There's no guarantee you'd have issues with the original PS3, but it is the oldest by now - you could end up buying one that's a decade old already. Slim is very robust - never had any problems with mine for the three or four years I owned it. I don't have any personal experience with the Super Slim - and actually, it's probably the model I'm going to end up going for, just because it's the only model I haven't previously owned - but yeah, it doesn't have the best reputation as a reliable PS3. Preowned Slim, 160GB or 320GB depending on your preferences, is probably the cheapest and safest way to go. 

• Like 1

In a Cash Converters or other second-hand stores or Gamestop, maybe you could get an used PS3 for cheap with its warranty still running.

My only advice I have is to never take the fat model, due to its potential ylod problem.

And you can change the internal HDD, just in case you find a low-storage version (160 GB...) but want more.

• Like 1

I got a 500 gb super slim for $62, which included shipping, at pawn king. They sent a jacked up controller with it....but I can't complain when the system is $62.

Edit: here's a link.

http://shop.pawnkingloansmore.com/Subcategory/PlayStation-3-Consoles/75563778

The one I got, they were asking $65 before shipping. I made an offer of $45 and they took it. It's worth a shot. Also, keep in mind that this website is a junction of sorts for all of their stores. If one store won't accept an offer you make it doesn't mean another store won't. I think in the product page, it shows which store is selling it. I had to make offers a few times before I got one at that price.

Edited by Phil
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NekoSlash said:

In a Cash Converters or other second-hand stores or Gamestop, maybe you could get an used PS3 for cheap with its warranty still running.

My only advice I have is to never take the fat model, due to its potential ylod problem.

And you can change the internal HDD, just in case you find a low-storage version (160 GB...) but want more.

As much as I like this idea, Neither would know if the console they are selling has ever been modded. Format as much as you want but that consoles i.d and it's history is on psn regardless of what happens in the future. I mean a console ban is fine, not a profile ban. I'm currently looking for a new Ps3 slim, very tricky to find.

• Like 1