Need advice on buying a ps3

Leaderboards

Mine is from Game Stop french brand and is working perfectly fine and I received it in a really good condition. The only problem I have is that sometimes the PS3 crashes which is really annoying. But I never had this problem when I had a PS3 Slim 320 Go so maybe it's a super slim only problem I don't really know.

Edited by itachi-destroyer
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 2:08 AM, TurdFlingingApe said:

Ended up buying a PS3 on Ebay for $60. No scratches, really clean. Arrived today and it works. Thanks you everyone for your input and/or ramblings.

Now to get a Vita...

The Vita get a OLED one, the screen is much better, although a little less comfortable on hands and you have to use the specific charger instead of a generic micro USB one. Buy a second hand vita, check the front screen for scratches and the condition of the power port, as it can be ruined from connecting the power cable upside down. At least an 8GB memory card, 16 GB better, 32 or 64 GB awesome. And have fun, plenty of great games on the Vita. And trophies to get...

• Like 1

Yep, definitely get the OLED Vita if you can - the screen/display I think is much nicer and a crisper picture. I have an OLED and I have been more than happy with it over the last 4 years. I absolutely love it! It's such an underrated system IMO. 

As for memory cards, I'd recommend at least a 16GB. My Vita came bundled with a 4GB card and a download code for COD: Black Ops Declassified - once I'd downloaded that I couldn't fit anything more on it. 

My partner also gave me an 8GB card bundled with 10 games and if I recall I couldn't even fit all 10 games on it :facepalm: 

Then went and bought a 16GB and that's been enough to comfortably shift my games around and back and forth between my laptop as I play and finish them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A_Tennis_Giraffe said:

Yep, definitely get the OLED Vita if you can - the screen/display I think is much nicer and a crisper picture. I have an OLED and I have been more than happy with it over the last 4 years. I absolutely love it! It's such an underrated system IMO. 

As for memory cards, I'd recommend at least a 16GB. My Vita came bundled with a 4GB card and a download code for COD: Black Ops Declassified - once I'd downloaded that I couldn't fit anything more on it. 

My partner also gave me an 8GB card bundled with 10 games and if I recall I couldn't even fit all 10 games on it :facepalm: 

Then went and bought a 16GB and that's been enough to comfortably shift my games around and back and forth between my laptop as I play and finish them.

Totally agree on this, I bought the 32gb card in Bic camera Tokyo. Fills up so quickly that I try %100 for hard copies of games now. The Oled screen is great though I've never owned a version 2 so can't really compare.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Totally agree on this, I bought the 32gb card in Bic camera Tokyo. Fills up so quickly that I try %100 for hard copies of games now. The Oled screen is great though I've never owned a version 2 so can't really compare.

I have both, anyone who does will most probably choose the OLED one as the screen quality difference is VERY noticeable. 32GB and 64 GB cards are better, it's the ones I have, but the price for either even second hand is steep.

Edited by cris3f

• 1 month later...
On 9/11/2017 at 10:10 PM, TurdFlingingApe said:

Very happy with my PS4. I would like to buy a PS3 now. in 2017, what would be the best option?

Buying new or a used one?

I got my eye on the super slim model since it is the newest.

New ones are not sold in store anymore.

New ones go for $260+ on Amazon...damn almost as much as my Ps4 lol.

What would be the safest way of being a used one and not breaking in the first month of use?

Craigslist, Pawnshops, Amazon, or eBay?

Personally, I would try Gamestop, just to get a small warranty period.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Tesla_Rules said:

Personally, I would try Gamestop, just to get a small warranty period.  

This is what I did. They usually have a couple deals each year that actually give an extended warranty for free. I got my first one from them with an extended warranty... 18ish months later it started having issues (only had issues when playing regular dvds). They gave me a replacement without any hassle, and the new one has worked like a charm for the past 3 years :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a new PS3 regular slim that was quite cheap because it only had a 160gig HDD. Then I bought a separate HDD to shove in.

If you look around, you can find some listed as "used" but they're still in a sealed box. Good tip for anyone looking to by a previous gen console. Though it does require a good amount of searching.

• Like 1

If it was me, I'd buy a slim in a used game store as opposed to online as at least you can get a good look at it and no shipping costs. Depending on where you live, CEX, Cash Converters, GameStop, GAME etc. sell used PS3's. About modding, if you're worried about it then for online, I'd go with Amazon or an independent retailer over Ebay as it feels safer, but always read the seller feedback/ Trust Pilot reviews. Not sure how you would know if those have been modded as well though, as I don't think Amazon and the like would be able to tell you much beyond the fact that it's refurbished. 

In terms of the console, the fat one has backward compatibility I think and is cheaper but probably harder to come by. I've seen them being sold really cheap at CEX (like £30) but they tend to be technically problematic and even more so second hand. The slim 320GB ones refurbished are about £80 here in the UK with a 12 month warranty in independent online stores, not sure how much they are in the US but I'd assume there are similar online stores selling them as a low enough price used. 

I have a slim one myself at 500GB. I bought physical games so space was never an issue for me. If you're a download person and plan on downloading lots of games, 500GB is a lot and is enough for most people I'd say. I think the 320GB one would be more than enough as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

In terms of the console, the fat one has backward compatibility I think and is cheaper but probably harder to come by.

Only the very earliest ones have backward compatibility. I bought mine in 2007 and that feature had already been cut.

Edited by cckerberos
  • Like 3

On September 12, 2017 at 1:10 AM, TurdFlingingApe said:

Very happy with my PS4. I would like to buy a PS3 now. in 2017, what would be the best option?

Buying new or a used one?

I got my eye on the super slim model since it is the newest.

New ones are not sold in store anymore.

New ones go for $260+ on Amazon...damn almost as much as my Ps4 lol.

What would be the safest way of being a used one and not breaking in the first month of use?

Craigslist, Pawnshops, Amazon, or eBay?

I would suggest you stop looking on amazon for a PS3, and check eBay for this one. Amazon is great for alot of stuff, but PS3's not so much - eBay is the single best place to get a PS3 right now. Slim (250GB and 500Gb) models are selling (often with games) for around $110.

If you want a 'like new' Super Slim, they sell for around $140-$170. I bought a white Super Slim (500gb) in excellent condition with a extra oem controller and 9 sealed games about three months back for $140 'Buy in Now'. You can't beat that.

Search for a used Super Slim model in as best condition as possible, as those are likely to have very little use. If your looking for backwards compatibility, then you'll pay around $170 for one - just look for the (60GB) model with the SD Card readers on it.

Edited by Fragtaster
edit
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2017 at 4:30 PM, Fragtaster said:

I would suggest you stop looking on amazon for a PS3, and check eBay for this one. Amazon is great for alot of stuff, but PS3's not so much - eBay is the single best place to get a PS3 right now. Slim (250GB and 500Gb) models are selling (often with games) for around $110.

If you want a 'like new' Super Slim, they sell for around $140-$170. I bought a white Super Slim (500gb) in excellent condition with a extra oem controller and 9 sealed games about three months back for $140 'Buy in Now'. You can't beat that.

Search for a used Super Slim model in as best condition as possible, as those are likely to have very little use. If your looking for backwards compatibility, then you'll pay around $170 for one - just look for the (60GB) model with the SD Card readers on it.

Thanks for the advice pimp slice, but I bought a ps3 a while ago for 60 bucks. Really happy with it >:)

Edited by TurdFlingingApe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...